How do you refer to yourself as in Urdu/Punjabi ('Hum' or 'Mein', 'Assi' or 'Mein')?

DHONI183

A departed friend who will live in our memories fo
Runs
Post of the Week
Cannot guarantee as to how I go about things on PP, but whilst writing/typing or upon having a conversation with a stranger, I always use 'Hum' in Urdu and 'Assi' in Punjabi (more strictly so in Urdu).

I don´t know why but I personally believe that using such words just assures the other person that the person he is talking to has some respect for himself.

At home is a totally different thing as you don´t care much about such things.

I use "mein" always for both Hindi and Punjabi. I restrict usage of Hum/Assi only when referring to a group or when I'm purposely talking in a dramatic style. :p

no offence to anyone, but I have found that 'Hum' is used a lot by Shias.

A lot of 'Meins' in here:13:.......

no offence to anyone, but I have found that 'Hum' is used a lot by Shias.

Really:20:?........

meh as in 'mehter' for me and assah as in 'assange' for we
[pronounciation]

most of the people use "mein"...using "hum" while referring to yourself is like giving too much importance or respect to yourself....respect should be earned

most of the people use "mein"...using "hum" while referring to yourself is like giving too much importance or respect to yourself....respect should be earned

It is a matter of opinion I guess. In my opinion, the best way to earn respect is to respect yourself first. If one holds that for value then one learns to respect others as well. In my case, even the closest of my friends are referred to as "Tusi" (Punjabi) and "Aap" (Urdu).

My views only of course:)!

Many punjabi use "sadde" - like in DalerMmehndi song - sadde naal jiyoge te aish karoge.

I've always used "Main" to refer myself while talking but never used "Hum" to refer myself either i've used it when in a group of people or its only reserved for Allah (S.W.T) in case of singularity, because when you read the translated verses of Quran in Urdu you would often find Allah (S.W.T) referred as "Hum". for e.g "Hum jisay chahain..."

How do you refer to yourself as in Urdu/Punjabi ('Hum' or 'Mein', 'Assi' or 'Mein')?:

Have changed slightly on this over the last two weeks or so. I now try to use "Mei`n" for myself, but still strictly use "Tusi" (in Punjabi) and "Aap" (in Urdu) for others however.

Interesting thread. I always use Mein, consider the use of Hum as extremely pretentious.

The elders in my family used Hum but I use maiN . They should be grateful we use tu tarak wali language only with the friends . :yk

Have changed slightly on this over the last two weeks or so. I now try to use "Mei`n" for myself, but still strictly use "Tusi" (in Punjabi) and "Aap" (in Urdu) for others however.

Yeah also use "tusi" when talking to others.

Re: How do you refer to yourself as in Urdu/Punjabi ('Hum' or 'Mein', 'Assi' or 'Mein

Mein.

Re: How do you refer to yourself as in Urdu/Punjabi ('Hum' or 'Mein', 'Assi' or 'Mein

Meh

How do you refer to yourself as in Urdu/Punjabi ('Hum' or 'Mein', 'Assi' or 'Mein')?:

Interesting thread. I always use Mein, consider the use of Hum as extremely pretentious.

I felt the same when I changed mine on this. "Hum", I see, is primarily used in poetry or in poetic conversations:p.

I thought Hum was said by those who spoke "purer" / more old fashioned Urdu.. Formal, if you will..

Mein is more colloquial and informal

I thought Hum was said by those who spoke "purer" / more old fashioned Urdu.. Formal, if you will..

Mein is more colloquial and informal

I was recently told that the Pakistani Biharis use "hum". Is it so:13:?

i talk in punjabi like this kay haal ae twada tussi thik ho mai vi thik hai so i guess its main :)

Chuck Norris refers to himself in the fourth person. Do we have an equivalent in our languages? It would be fun.

I's always found it awkward when someone refers to themselves as "hum", cannot ever bring myself to ever to that.

hum? Lol if I were in a teleplay or doing a very emotional dialogue in some act then maybe.

I refer to myself in third person. So tend to use ussay and woh.

Hum is generally used for plural, but some people who belongs to Nawab ancestors use the word Hum even for a single person.

Hum sometimes due to my fascination with this word most of the time mein

in urdu adab they used to say hum but as our language is being mixed with several other languages and also its a lashkari zuban mai is being used more oftenly

Back