How to not hit the ball in the air

Random Aussie

Senior Test Player
Runs
Hello!

I am struggling playing indoor cricket cos I keep smashing the ball in the air. This wasn't an issue in outdoor cricket cos I hit the ball pretty hard. But just comes off the net and gets me caught in indoor.

If I try to control my shots I wind up losing most of the power.

My guess is I am playing too far in front of my body with weight on backfoot.

Your guess is correct. I hate indoor. If they bowl bouncers every ball it is impossible to hit sixes.

Also your batting style reminds me of a certain someone :afridi

get your head over it or as close as you possibly can to the ball

I think you could be playing with your bottom hand a bit too much.

This.

RA mate, you're using bottom hand a bit too much as BD said.

Have a lose bottom hand and play with soft hands. Also have a high elbow in follow up when playing a shot, it will ensure the ball travels along the ground.

Bend your front knees and ensure your weight comes on front foot when you are playing front foot strokes.

Your guess is correct. I hate indoor. If they bowl bouncers every ball it is impossible to hit sixes.

Also your batting style reminds me of a certain someone :afridi

bouncers not allowed in indoor :) as to what RA is talking about. If a bouncer bowled, you get 2 runs RA is that right? if we are on the same indoor cricket thing

No bouncers are allowed ... at least in my comp. Can't be above head high because obviously it's a wide.

the key is to play the ball as late as possible into the ground, so that it bounces and hits the net, allowing you to get the run easily. Off the back foot try chopping the ball square and off the front foot, go hard at the ball with a vertical bat (behind your front foot, not alongside)

If you hit the ball in the middle of the side nets, it just sits up to be caught.

Forget about 6s (or 7 in indoor cricket) as the risk is too high.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

the key is to play the ball as late as possible into the ground, so that it bounces and hits the net, allowing you to get the run easily. Off the back foot try chopping the ball square and off the front foot, go hard at the ball with a vertical bat (behind your front foot, not alongside)

If you hit the ball in the middle of the side nets, it just sits up to be caught.

Forget about 6s (or 7 in indoor cricket) as the risk is too high.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I agree with this.

I was at nets yesterday and I was playing a bit early so my shots were going in the air.

Watch the ball closely, play the ball late. Look to meet the ball with a flourish.

Back