"I feel very proud about how this bowling unit battled in the first Test" : Waqar Younis

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Waqar Younis speaking to the press:

"There could be no better example of a Test match than the one between West Indies and Pakistan that would advocate the cause of Test cricket"

"Unfortunately we were on the wrong side of the finishing line, we should have won but that is the way Test cricket goes"

"Obviously when you make mistakes you come second in a contest"

"The dropped catches made a difference and when you let go of such opportunities in a close match then that will hurt your chances"

"If I were to analyse our bowling, then I would say that our bowlers put in whatever they had during the whole game; They battled to the end, even though we were defending a small target; Hats off to them and I feel very proud about how this bowling unit battled in this Test"

"Its the bowlers task to create opportunities but when 3 such chances come our way and we don't grab them, then that will hurt us"

"Looking at the way the wicket was in the last game, we can say that this wicket in Jamaica will have grass on it and the ball will seam around; We will do our best to not repeat the same mistakes of the first Test"

"The conditions in UAE/Oman for the T20 World Cup will suit teams from the sub-continent; They will suit us as we have played a lot of cricket there; Before the tournament, we would have played T20 games against New Zealand and England and by the time the T20 World Cup starts, many things would be clear to us and we will be well prepared"

"Batting was not easy as there were overcast conditions and the fast-bowlers were getting a lot of support on that pitch; You need to apply yourself on such pitches as a batsman and also be positive and take risks"

"All the batsmen who scored runs on this pitch did so by taking risks, so you have to be positive when playing in these conditions with the Dukes cricket ball"

"We did get opportunities to take wickets at the end of the match but we didn't grab those chances"

"I don't think the captain did anything wrong [field placings towards end] and he captained really well throughout the game, especially as a young captain; He did a wonderful job but unfortunately he just couldn't finish the game"

"I thought that Mohammad Abbas bowled beautifully; There are some days in Test cricket where luck deserts you and I feel that the way Abbas bowled, he should have taken a lot more wickets than he did; He was beating the bat but no edges were happening but that is part of the game; I have no doubt that Abbas is a wonderful professional in the way he puts in the effort; He bowled well but could not take as many wickets as we expected him to take and that is fine with me"

"Pakistan spinners have done a great job in the last year or so; Nauman Ali and Yasir Shah have bowled well and sometimes you get a pitch where there is less support for a spinner; Both sides' spinners didn't get that many wickets"

"Yasir Shah has a good track record against the West Indies and has a lot of experience; Whilst Nauman is a good spinner, we felt that the pitch did not have so much support such that we would have played a finger spinner"

"Lets not forget that Yasir Shah is a match-winner for Pakistan and he has so much games for us that we cannot ignore him"

"There are always critics around and they will say stuff when things don't go well; I always welcome them and say that only when you listen to your critics do you work on fixing your mistakes, but they have to be sensible in their criticism and their views are not of a personal nature"

"PCB took the decision to appoint me as Bowling Coach and they are watching me closely to decide on whether I am or not doing the right job - they are the decision makers; We are all doing our best in our roles"

"The India Pakistan game is always a thriller, always a big match and Inshallah we will try our best to win that game"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Pak bowled well generally. However, bowling attack other than two main seamers (Shaheen and Hassan) lacked penetration in the middle overs and crucial stages.

This guy is nothing but a great fraud. Without any skill and performance he is staying in coaching position for years.

Yup, that's our standard now. For us, results don't matter as long as we "fight"

Koi sharam hay? Greatest advocate for test cricket was literally being played at Lords.

Boys played well. This is good enough for hs now. We couldn’t even get the tailenders out with 53 runs to go.

Regardless of future resulte, get rid of Bekaar Younis.

"Batting was not easy as there were overcast conditions and the fast-bowlers were getting a lot of support on that pitch; You need to apply yourself on such pitches as a batsman and also be positive and take risks"

"All the batsmen who scored runs on this pitch did so by taking risks, so you have to be positive when playing in these conditions with the Dukes cricket ball"

Yes that is why our batters had a SR of 20s and 30s throughout the match because they took risks.

He should be ashamed instead of feeling proud and should be reflecting on why he is still holding the post when he can't do the job.

Azhar Mahmood was way better as a bowling coach who knew the standard drills and planning on how to identify, help and prepare the bowlers. The only bad thing about him was that he was a bit too much active on the social media and didn't accept any blame when the bowling would not click.

Wow did Waqar look at the WI batting line up?

This guy has no shame, talking about what a great advert it was for test cricket, WHO CARES? when you lose to a pub team.

Then his pathetic attempts to justify Yasir's inclusion in the team by saying he's a 'match winner'. He was a match winner about 5 years go. He had no right be chosen over Nauman who has been performing. Does he think we're all *******?

Cricket boards groom their talent in first class cricket. Give them chance in T20s to gauge how they respond to pressure then they are sent to play 4 day cricket for few seasons and then inducted in test cricket but Pakistan uses the platform of highest level of international cricket i.e. Test cricket to induct inexperienced 17 year olds and groom them to play later in PSL and T20Is. This is disrespectful for test cricket fans like me, no offense.

This guy has no shame, talking about what a great advert it was for test cricket, WHO CARES? when you lose to a pub team.

Then his pathetic attempts to justify Yasir's inclusion in the team by saying he's a 'match winner'. He was a match winner about 5 years go. He had no right be chosen over Nauman who has been performing. Does he think we're all *******?

Its cricket board’s fault for putting up with this fraudster.

Lol he has simply given the match summary - people on this forum would strategise Pakistan's bowling better than Waqar does.

You NEVER hear any impressive quotes or words of wisdom come out of this guys mouth. He's very basic in his commentary, interviews and analysis.

If Waqar hadnt had this role for so long and so many times... I would say yeah your right.

Come on ..... the battled yes... makes a change for a Waqar bowling squad but....

They Lost........ again.....

Lol he has simply given the match summary - people on this forum would strategise Pakistan's bowling better than Waqar does.

You NEVER hear any impressive quotes or words of wisdom come out of this guys mouth. He's very basic in his commentary, interviews and analysis.

No wonder he was also terrible in captaincy.

Batting wasn’t easy because of the conditions so don’t go hard on our batsmen.

Really proud of the way our bowlers bowled. They deserve praise.

Waqar is smart.

A match winner who wasn't given the chance to even bowl on the final day... There is a disconnect between selection, captain and coach here.

A match winner who wasn't given the chance to even bowl on the final day... There is a disconnect between selection, captain and coach here.

Yup, as posters have mentioned, players being picked on past reputations and loyalty. This practice needs to stop now. We might have got away with in the past but its not going to work now as other top teams have got better and stronger.

They are moving away from the rest and we can only compete by picking the best available 11 players not 6 or 7 and the rest as holidaymakers. Otherwise we will remain also rans and our heritage and great history will be confined to dust.

It was a difference of just 1 wicket which could go either way. In my opinion, Pakistan fans are a little bit too harsh on the team. They just missed by only a step. You guys are acting like over protective parents who scolds even when kids get 99% asking why you didn't get 100%?

Bowlers were not to blame. 160 odd runs and WI was 9 down. Batsmen failed big time.

Team lost a test against a very weak test team and coach is happy and proud of his players.

When India visited West Indies in 2019, they absolutely thrashed the hosts. Pakistan is a superior team to WI at least on paper, so a better performance by the batters and the bowlers was expected. While they tried hard to defend 167, they should not have conceded 36 run lead to a struggling WI batting line up. Indian bowlers blew away WI in all 4 innings, never let them get closer to India's first innings total. So to be frank I don't agree with Waqar as Pakistan bowlers let West Indies score way too many runs on a difficult pitch considering they had them 100/5 in the first innings. Also Pakistan's batting in the first innings was poor as well as they should have scored at least 250-275.

Also the WI team India played in 2019 was stronger than this as it had Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel and Hetmyer.

I am also very proud of Misbah and Waqar for their coaching

Now, thank you very much!!

"There could be no better example of a Test match than the one between West Indies and Pakistan that would advocate the cause of Test cricket"

Yet again, this plush statement is at our heart. Beauty of test cricket. Lol. That's what we have to show for after getting beat by mediocre jazzy boys.

Since PCB is a not a professional organization and they are not serious about team performance, so people like Waqar, Misbah and so-called fielding coach Majed can get away with this. Pakistan cricket is heading towards Hockey and Squash way. Both Hockey and Squash team failed to qualify to play Olympic and PCB will one day fail to qualify to play in World Cup.

First Babar and now Waqar is super proud of competing with Windies and earlier Zim and SA-B.

Apparently England C didn't give him chance to be 'proud' because of a clean sweep.

Classic case of endorsing mediocrity and clinging to their jobs.

Beyond the dropped chances I think the Pak bowlers could have used more variation, changes of pace, slower balls, slower ball bouncers etc at the death when the short bowling and full length became too predictable, India ended England’s resistance at the end with a slower delivery from Bumrah at Robinson which started the final collapse, against tailenders you need to be a bit creative.

I don’t blame Waqar and his comments with the cricket board keep hiring him.

This pretty much sums up Pakistan cricket. No matter if you win or lose, as long as the team remains competitive which appears to be the ulterior motive of team management......

Back