'I have a bullet-proof car because there was a threat on my life' : Ramiz Raja to NA committee

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
KARACHI: Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Ramiz Raja has told the national assembly standing committee on sports that he uses a bulletproof vehicle because of a security threat.

Responding to questions on the benefits and perks he gets as chairman of the board, Ramiz said he is "not a big financial burden" on the PCB as the former national team captain, among other things, also takes care of his medical expenses.

"Ramiz did tell the committee members at one stage that he only used the bullet proof vehicle of the board because of a security threat otherwise he avoided taking any perks from the PCB," a source aware of the meeting proceedings said.

He said none of the national assembly committee members had inquired from Ramiz about his future as chairman of the board after the change in government and neither did anyone question him on why he had not thought about resigning as others before him have done whenever a government changed.

"Ramiz made it clear to the committee members in the two-hour long session that he only utilised the daily allowances, hotel and travel expenses allowed to the chairman under service rules."

Ramiz had said that his predecessors in the PCB top job had also used bulletproof cars because of security threats.

This is the first time that Ramiz appeared before any parliamentary committee.

The source said the committee members had asked Ramiz why the board had not submitted the auditor general's report on annual expenses, to which the former skipper responded that it was a government document and available to them at any time.

"But the members told him to submit the AG's report himself at the next meeting."

The source said that Ramiz had confirmed that accounts of the board have been audited by the AG's office since 2012-13.

The source said the committee members had asked Ramiz about the team's performances, future commitments, the PSL and tours by other foreign teams.

"Most of the members expressed satisfaction with the work done by the board since Ramiz took charge last September and also lauded the team's performances," he added.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...g-to-security-threat/articleshow/92660079.cms

Last edited:
According to some reports threat was made during PSL when he was overseas.

No idea why anyone would want to take his life? What is he involved in?

Most likely in the current political climate Ramiz just wants some attention too.

That car.....

==

iii. Car allowance was paid to current Chairman Mr Sethi as per the Board of Governor’s approval as he had used his personal armoured vehicle due to security threats. On the contrary, the PCB provided former Chairman Mr Raja a brand new armoured vehicle costing PKR16.5million

Sad reality of Pakistan is, anyone who is booted out of high office, comes back for public sympathy card, drama, social media bashing and load more conspiracy theories. Age of social media pressure has permanently changed pakistan in many ways.

Just like other areas, sports is not going to making any progress with such mindset.

Hockey world cup is starting in january 2023 and pakistan with most world cups is not there, cricket seems to be finished. Pakistan can only compete in shorter formats. Our test cricket is gone.

That car.....

==

iii. Car allowance was paid to current Chairman Mr Sethi as per the Board of Governor’s approval as he had used his personal armoured vehicle due to security threats. On the contrary, the PCB provided former Chairman Mr Raja a brand new armoured vehicle costing PKR16.5million

Those 16.50 million pkr should have been used on hockey. It is a pity that 100% funds are invested in cricket and outcome is still zero. If pak was winning world cups tests etc one can justify. investing all funds in 1 sport with 0 outcome is disaster. Even Argentina is not like that they did win olympic gold medal hockey in 2016. And what is this colonial mindset car allowance obsession thing in pakistan ?
I have been entitled to car allowance at work for years, never even bothered to fill in forms emails and requests, i dont see how availing car allowance will make me tiger woods. I pity pcb pak hockey thats all i can say.

Bcci is funding indian hockey and look how india won bronze medal on olympics and can even reach world cup semi final in bhubhaneshwar next month.

When you in a high govt post, you deserve a good car.

Sad reality of Pakistan is, anyone who is booted out of high office, comes back for public sympathy card, drama, social media bashing and load more conspiracy theories. Age of social media pressure has permanently changed pakistan in many ways.

Just like other areas, sports is not going to making any progress with such mindset.

Hockey world cup is starting in january 2023 and pakistan with most world cups is not there, cricket seems to be finished. Pakistan can only compete in shorter formats. Our test cricket is gone.

The bigger sad reality is that political interference in the affairs of cricket board has ruined Pakistan cricket. The current policies should have been given time to play out, there was a constitution in place where each chairman would complete their 3 years so they could be fully accountable for their actions.

It seems like we are going in circles by bringing back with Najam Sethi who was installed by a corrupt regime. Rameez Raja is doing the right thing by raising it on every forum.

Also, no one watches hockey or cares for it. I didn't know till you mentioned there was a worldcup.

When you in a high govt post, you deserve a good car.

Good
Keep serving good cars

And enjoy
2023 hockey world cup with no pakistan

And enjoy elimination from WTC 2023 final
0-1 home test series defeat v Australia
0-3 whitewash v England
Asia cup
Twin World cup (21/22)
Defeats

The bigger sad reality is that political interference in the affairs of cricket board has ruined Pakistan cricket. The current policies should have been given time to play out, there was a constitution in place where each chairman would complete their 3 years so they could be fully accountable for their actions.

It seems like we are going in circles by bringing back with Najam Sethi who was installed by a corrupt regime. Rameez Raja is doing the right thing by raising it on every forum.

Also, no one watches hockey or cares for it. I didn't know till you mentioned there was a worldcup.

Was najam sethi allowed to complete 3 years tenure ? Back in 2018 ?

No

Did he cry on tv all the time ?

Many pcb chairmen since 1950’s were fired in pakistan, this new crying culture has torn apart everything in pakistan.

A docu clip was recently shown that Argentina coach Menotti (78) was so inspired by Pakistan hockey team’s strategy in 1978 world cup in Argentina that he used to have regular chats with our hockey team at that time.

India has created biopic on 1936 hockey team featuring dhyan chand. India is hosting hockey world cup next month and all big teams are participating.

If a nation has forgotten national sport where still pakistan has most world cups and other teams envy us that nothing can be done

People have forgotten hockey because pakistan never wins anything in hockey. Money is spent 100% on Cricket and results are bad.

Was najam sethi allowed to complete 3 years tenure ? Back in 2018 ?

No

Did he cry on tv all the time ?

Many pcb chairmen since 1950’s were fired in pakistan, this new crying culture has torn apart everything in pakistan.

A docu clip was recently shown that Argentina coach Menotti (78) was so inspired by Pakistan hockey team’s strategy in 1978 world cup in Argentina that he used to have regular chats with our hockey team at that time.

India has created biopic on 1936 hockey team featuring dhyan chand. India is hosting hockey world cup next month and all big teams are participating.

If a nation has forgotten national sport where still pakistan has most world cups and other teams envy us that nothing can be done

People have forgotten hockey because pakistan never wins anything in hockey. Money is spent 100% on Cricket and results are bad.

Sethi ran away on his own as soon as Imran won in 2018, how can he cry about it on TV.

Good
Keep serving good cars

And enjoy
2023 hockey world cup with no pakistan

And enjoy elimination from WTC 2023 final
0-1 home test series defeat v Australia
0-3 whitewash v England
Asia cup
Twin World cup (21/22)
Defeats

hockey is not pcbs concern. dont know why you keep crying about it.

Performance does not mean you take away pcb chairman car and house. irrelevant post plz look at the thread atleast.

That car.....

==

PCB didnt do anything wrong here.

In the govt, if someone was given 3 million for a car by the govt department, than the person who comes next in line needs to be provided with a car of same amount. This is the rule for every govt department in Pakistan.

Hence, If sethi had a valid reason for security threat and was able to get 16.5 million for his car, than the person coming next in line has valid reasons to get a similar car or similar allowance.

hockey is not pcbs concern. dont know why you keep crying about it.

Performance does not mean you take away pcb chairman car and house. irrelevant post plz look at the thread atleast.

All pointless perks of pcb needs to be sold off and invested in hockey.

BCCI is sponsoring indian hockey and other indian sports regularly.

Do not get personal in the post.

No more honeymoon perks for pcb.

Last edited:
All pointless perks of pcb needs to be sold off and invested in hockey.

BCCI is sponsoring indian hockey and other indian sports regularly.

Do not get personal in the post.

No more honeymoon perks for pcb.
1. Govt issues budget, PCB's budget has no concerned with other sports budget. All sports board have their separate budgets issued by the govt. No govt department returns the budget or transfers their money to the accounts of other bodies

2. BCCI can do whatever they want. PCB or Pakistani govt should not be concerned with what BCCI is doing. Every country has their own procedures.

3. I called your post irrelevant, I did not call you an irrelevant person. Thus, I never got personals with you as you claim.

4. These are not honeymoon perks. A PCB chairman is equivalent to a Director General in the Govt sector. There are certain perks that people at such posts do get to enjoy.

Here is a detail of chairman's expense

https://www.pcb.com.pk/downloads/Chairman Expenses Q4 (2021-22) 02.pdf

Ramiz speaking about the death threats on TV:

“That car is with PCB. I didn't buy that. My successor can also use it. I received death threat. You can't get a bullet-proof car until you face a death threat. That's why I had it"

“I can't reveal the details about it (the threat). But it has been there since Australia came to Pakistan in March 2022. DIG sahab came to my home, there was a whole report that was made. That's why it was bought for me”

Last edited:
Who would want to kill ramiz raja ??
He just wanted a bullet proof car for attention he's a big show off

Where's the brigade that goes on about Corruption this and Corruption that when it comes to ramiz and imran khan suddenly the sleep mode is activated

Where's the brigade that goes on about Corruption this and Corruption that when it comes to ramiz and imran khan suddenly the sleep mode is activated

Maybe you should listen to what he said? He spoke about specific threats and for obvious security reasons, he will not disclose them.

Believe me - NO one wants to travel a in a bullet-proof car. It's bulky and you feel you are a sitting duck when you move at 50kph

The car is PCB's property, Ramiz didn't take it home. When Sethi will be hosting foreign CEOs, ambassadors he will be travelling in that vehicle with them.

What corruption were they involved in?

Every govt employee at high level has threats against them.
This isnt corruption. How is this corruption? Is he taking the car after service?

Every senior govt official gets a car. His post was probably bps 21 or 22.

Back