"I need to work hard to try and build my skills in the four-day game" : Shadab Khan

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
Regarded as one of the most promising all-rounders in the world, 18-year-old Shadab Khan has already represented Pakistan in 12 games and picked up 20 wickets. Apart from being part of the 2017 Champions Trophy winning squad, he has also just finished a stint with Caribbean Premier League 2017 finalists Trinbago Knight Riders where he took 12 wickets in just 8 games. He has recently been signed up by Brisbane Heat to represent them in the next edition of the Big Bash League in Australia.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Shadab Khan spoke about his experience at the Champions Trophy in England, the planning behind taking Yuvraj Singh's wicket in the final of the tournament, his desire to play four-day games to establish himself in the Pakistan Test side, his stint with Brisbane Heat and looked forward to playing against the World XI in the Independence Cup.

HrCMLy1.jpg

PakPassion.net: The Champions Trophy semi-final against England was the first major tournament game of your career. How were the nerves on that day?

Shadab Khan:
There were absolutely no nerves from my end on that day. I'm not really the nervous type. This was down to the way our team was united in its ambitions and really there was no concept of who was a senior or junior. We were all ready to win for Pakistan and that enthusiasm was in every players’ mind and body language. I was no different and what also helped was the amount of encouragement that I was getting from the team management and the captain. This was not just only in that game but throughout the tournament. Thankfully that confidence I had built up helped me in this game as well.

PakPassion.net: Was there extra pressure as you were playing against the hosts and tournament favourites in such an important match?

Shadab Khan:
This was a do-or-die game for us but I wasn’t too concerned about what the opposition was thinking about me or whether they were saying anything to me. My focus, as always, was to deliver my best performance and bowl as well as I could. This is what I did that day and whilst I took just one wicket, I was glad that we beat the hosts by 8 wickets to advance to the final.

PakPassion.net: Did you feel that as a young player in such a big tournament, you had a point to prove to people?

Shadab Khan:
You cannot hide from pressure as it will always be there whether you are young or old. I know that I have to perform well regardless of whatever level of cricket I am playing. This is something I have to deal with but then this is part and parcel of any cricketer’s life and I am no different. The Champions Trophy was a great learning experience for me as it also helped to me to learn to cope with big match situations. So, I didn’t have to prove myself to anyone but that did not stop me from putting in my best performances to help Pakistan in winning games. My wish is to always give my 100 percent in every game I play, the rest I leave to the Almighty.

PakPassion.net: How much of a role did the guidance from your seniors in the team play during the Champions Trophy?

Shadab Khan:
The guidance I got from the team management and seniors was crucial in the way I played throughout the tournament. There was the obvious advice to help me cope with big game pressure but the bigger help was in the sharing of experience regarding pitches and areas to bowl in on different grounds that we were playing in. I had a lot of sessions with the Head Coach Mickey Arthur and other coaches on my bowling. I also used to ask for advice from Mushtaq Ahmed before every game as he has great knowledge of local conditions since he has played a lot of cricket in England.

PakPassion.net: The final against India was a special occasion. Tell us about that game.

Shadab Khan:
Whilst this was the final game, I did not really feel too much pressure. It may seem odd but the only time I felt under pressure was in the first game against India which we unfortunately lost. That match was my first experience of a high-tension game against our traditional rivals and whilst we did not win that game, it did help me in getting over this mental hurdle. So, whilst the Champions Trophy final was probably the biggest game of my career, I was better prepared for it mentally and did not feel nervous. In fact, I have to say that apart from that tournament opener against India, I never felt nervous in any of the games in the Champions Trophy. It was not me, but the whole team felt very relaxed in the final of the tournament because by that time we were performing really well and had beaten some top teams as well. There was belief in the team that we would win the match even before the first ball was bowled and that feeling stayed with us all the way as we lifted the trophy.

PakPassion.net: How well planned was the Yuvraj Singh dismissal in the Champions Trophy final?

Shadab Khan:
I believe it all started with the first India-Pakistan game in the tournament in which I could see that he was unable to pick my wrong'un and then he was also dropped off my bowling. So, in the back of mind, I knew that he had a weakness which I could use to our advantage. What I figured was that Yuvraj would be looking for the wrong'un every ball I was bowling and he would be playing each ball that way. The best way to trouble him then was to bowl a regular leg-spin delivery which I did and hit him on the pad. This wicket was perfect planning and a moment I will never forget for the rest of my life.

PakPassion.net: Planning against Yuvraj Singh was one thing, but actually taking his wicket was something special, wasn’t it?

Shadab Khan:
When the ball hit his pad, I knew he was out. If there was any doubt, it was about whether the ball had hit his bat as well. Sometimes in life we take decisions in a matter of seconds which can change everything and this dismissal was one of them. We knew this was a huge wicket and in a big game like this one with thousands in the crowd shouting and putting pressure on us, we took a decision to review within seconds and got the result we wanted. I was so convinced that Yuvraj Singh was out that I was repeating on and on to our captain Sarfaraz Ahmed, that it was pad first and that Yuvraj was out. He asked me again if the ball hit the pad first and I said yes it did and we took the review. I knew that the captain and team management had huge faith in me and they showed that by listening to my call for reviewing the decision. I was of course overjoyed when the review was taken and the decision was given in our favour.

PakPassion.net: The last few months after the Champions Trophy victory must feel like a dream?

Shadab Khan:
Absolutely so. No one predicted that we would win the Champions Trophy yet we did it. And then when we came back to Pakistan, we were treated like heroes and given so much love and affection which was incredible. Even today, wherever anyone from that wining squad goes in Pakistan, people praise us for our achievement and that is sometimes hard to believe.

PakPassion.net: What has it been like to play alongside the likes of Brendon McCullum and Dwayne Bravo at the CPL?

Shadab Khan:
If you will recall, I had my international debut whilst on the tour of the West Indies so I have great memories of this part of the world. I had a great time playing for Trinbago Knight Riders at the CPL where I got to play alongside and learn from the likes of Brendon McCullum, Dwayne Bravo as well as Sunil Narine. I can tell you that each day was a great learning experience and apart from that, I was also able to put in some excellent performances where I ended up with 12 wickets for my team. A part of me is sad that I had to leave TKR before the end of the tournament but I am also very happy about the World XI’s visit to Pakistan and hope I can play a big role in winning games in the Independence Cup.

PakPassion.net: Was it easy to adjust to conditions and life away from home at the CPL?

Shadab Khan:
The TKR team and its management have been wonderful with me and provided all the support I needed. They have really made me feel at home and the team has a great family spirit about it which made the whole experience very enjoyable for me. It’s great to know that they have reached the final of the CPL and I do wish them the best of luck and hope they win the tournament.

PakPassion.net: Are all formalities for your stint with the Brisbane Heat now complete?

Shadab Khan:
Firstly, I would like to say that I am really looking forward to playing in Australia with Brisbane Heat. The contract has been signed and the No Objection Certificate (NOC) from PCB is what is pending but hopefully this will not be a problem.

PakPassion.net: You must be looking forward to playing in Australia in front of packed houses?

Shadab Khan:
To be honest, I haven’t given much thought to that as at the moment, my thoughts and energies are just focused on the upcoming World XI games in Pakistan. I do know that there is tremendous interest in the BBL and I am really looking forward to playing in front of so many excited fans. I was always interested in playing in the BBL and even Mushtaq Ahmed who is my adviser recommended this Twenty20 League for me. Also, I understand that Brendon McCullum sent some good reviews of my performances to Brisbane Heat’s coach Daniel Vettori which helped me in getting this assignment. The BBL has its own charm and is a very popular tournament not just in Australia but around the world and I hope that I am able to put in good performances when I play for Brisbane Heat.

PakPassion.net: Many new players have risen to fame quickly in Pakistan but then lost all due to some controversies. Many are worried that you will go the same way.

Shadab Khan:
I always strive to please my Creator. I keep that in my mind and also the fact that at the end of it all, I have to answer to the Almighty. I know that if I become a successful cricketer, there will always be a lot of attractions and opportunities around me which could lead to controversies but I have to make sure that I keep my feet on the ground at all times. My goal is to go about my business and play for Pakistan without any arrogance and false pride. Some have let them down but I can assure Pakistan cricket fans I won't let them down and break their hearts.

PakPassion.net: Have you given any thought to playing county cricket in future?

Shadab Khan:
Playing in county cricket is something which I have had in mind for a while. Even Mushtaq Ahmed has also advised me to try and get some four-day game experience in county cricket as that can be an important part of a cricketer’s development. What I plan to do is to take part in the World XI games and then the first-class games in Pakistan and past that, try and find a place in county cricket as well. It has always been my desire to play in all formats of the game and I feel that the four-day format is one that I now need to pay special attention to, to make myself a complete cricketer.

PakPassion.net: You seem to be a decent batsman so are you looking to develop yourself into a genuine all-rounder as well?

Shadab Khan:
Every player has some areas of his game that he would like to improve and batting is one aspect that I am working on whenever I get a chance. I always discuss my batting with Pakistan batting coach Grant Flower and work with him to improve myself. He is of the opinion that my batting is continuing to improve a lot and I am sure, with time, I can become a genuine all-rounder for Pakistan.

PakPassion.net: What do you feel you need to do to become a regular member of the Pakistan Test side?

Shadab Khan:
I really enjoyed my debut in the Test match against the West Indies and I really do want to play more Tests for Pakistan. I know that the only way I can do that is by playing as many four-day games as possible. I have a lot of Twenty20 and One-Day experience but that is of limited use in the longer format of the game so I need to work hard to try and build my skills in the four-day game. Playing in that format will also help me develop the physical strength and mental aspects which are needed if you want to be a top Test bowler. For the moment, I am really looking forward to my debut first-class season where I intend to play for SNGPL. Hopefully I can play as many four-day games as possible in this season and do well in them for my team.

PakPassion.net: What are your thoughts on the upcoming visit to Pakistan by the World XI side?

Shadab Khan:
I am really excited that I will get a chance to play against some top quality players from the World XI in front of our home crowds. I can't wait to play against the World XI in front of my countryfolk. My aim is to perform as well as I can and provide joy to our home fans. I feel privileged that I am getting a chance to play international cricket in Pakistan, as many other players have had to wait for a long time. As a Pakistan player, I can tell you that I am overjoyed at the thought of seeing world-class players from other nations playing on our grounds. Since the time I started to watch cricket, I have never seen an international team play on our soil except for Zimbabwe so you can understand how happy I am feeling about the Independence Cup as that could result in the full restoration of international cricket in Pakistan. On a personal level, it will be a matter of great pride for me to be performing in front of my fans and family who are also excited about the upcoming games. I hope they will all be present at the Gaddafi Stadium to watch Pakistan and myself perform on our own grounds after a long time.

One of my favourite cricketers globally,these days.

He is a three dimensional player.He has got the skills to excel in international cricket.He has variation in his bowling,a decent batsman and a gun fielder. Apart from his skill what I am most impressed with him is his attitude.He has a winner's attitude.He is at your face and is not afraid in anything he does.He just doesn't quit easily and play for his team every time.Recently guided TKR to a win with the bat when it was difficult going but he stood like a wall and guided them to victory.

As far as his bowling is concerned he is doing really well.He is relying a lot more on his leg breaks and is continuously improving his bowling as he is trying a few things he hasn't done before.In CPL he bowled quite a few flippers and quick ones that he hadn't bowled so far in his career.So as far as improving his bowling is concerned he is doing really well and hopefully he continues in this fashion.

Apart from his bowling he is also a decent batsman.He knows how to improvise but I see just one problem in his batting.While playing his shots he falls over and as he goes on in his career that can be exposed.He needs to work on his balance at the crease and I see no reason why he can't do that.He is really young and obviously he won't be perfect but the thing that is going to decide his future is how much work he puts in to continuosly improve his game.He can take an example of his team mate Azhar Ali who had a similar problem which was exposed in the last summer in England but he worked extreamly hard and now he is extremely strong through his pads.

All the best to Shadababy and hopefully he delivers to his potential and beyond.

He saying all the right stuff especially the bit about getting more first class experience.

Ever since I first saw him in the PSL he's been my favourite cricketer. I really hope he goes the right way and doesn't waste he's talent like so many of our other cricketers.

I will never let down Pakistanis: Shadab Khan

Pakistan latest spin sensation, Shadab Khan has witness a meteoric rise, since making his debut in international cricket.

The Pindi boy, was sensational in the recently concluded ICC Champions Trophy, and carried on his form in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL), remains humble to his roots and wants to refrain from controversies.

“I always strive to please my Creator. I keep that in my mind and also the fact that at the end of it all, I have to answer to the Almighty. I know that if I become a successful cricketer, there will always be a lot of attractions and opportunities around me which could lead to controversies but I have to make sure that I keep my feet on the ground at all times,” said Shadab, quoted PakPassion.net .

The teen leggie, added that he would not let his country men down.

"My goal is to go about my business and play for Pakistan without any arrogance and false pride. Some have let them down but I can assure Pakistan cricket fans I won't let them down and break their hearts.”

From time to time, Pakistan’s cricketers have faced allegations of corruption, and rash behaviour. Recently, opening batsman Sharjeel Khan was handed a five year ban in PSL spot-fixing scandal.

http://www.brecorder.com/2017/09/09/368424/i-will-never-let-down-pakistanis-shadab-khan/

love this guy... his attitude and aggression is just perfect.

You can tell from he had to say about the yuvraj dismissal that he is thinking cricketer and the way he has taken to international cricket has shown he can deal with the pressure. So far he looks like an exciting cricketer, want to see him get more chances with the bat. He's one of my favourite Pakistan players right now, I hope he doesn't let this early success get to him. I hope he takes on board the advice which Mickey and Musthaq will give him, also playing in these t20 leagues can aid him in his development. Want to see him play more 4 day cricket, as I think he could be an effective player in tests. Could give 30 plus over in tests, a number 8 with a 30 plus average, and a gun fielder in gully or maybe the slips.

An exciting crickter for Pakistan, I hope he keeps his feet grounded.

He is a great talent, but I am worried about his development as a leg break bowler. I saw couple of his matches in CPL, very disappointed at his approach when attacked, he started bowling fast bowls at 110+, instead of trying to spin the bowl and give better flight. Going down the route of Afridi is worry some, you can never be a good leg spinner, if you don't trust the spin...

On the contrary Rashid Khan does exactly opposite, he trust his skills as spinner. At the moment Rashid is much better and skillful bowler than Shadab... Shadab is regressing a bit, he need a good leg spin coach, Mushi or Qadar can help him, he need this help right now to get back on track, too much T20 will also be detrimental to his career as a leggy, I am afraid.

I am against any young spinner playing in the BBL. The pitches are super flat and they almost always get taken to the cleaners.

Seems like a level-headed and down to earth kid.

Hope he stays that way as sadly a number of these guys change as soon as their popularity grows and they become well-known.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">If anyone thinks these matches are just a few friendlies - watch the reaction of Shadab when he got Miller out <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PAKvWXI?src=hash">#PAKvWXI</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/B4i11wS9vR">pic.twitter.com/B4i11wS9vR</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/907649324586291201">September 12, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

he must concentrate on limited overs only

I'm with you on that. He was mediocre in his only test and he still is very young so he could come back in tests in the future but for now should only focus on ODI's and T20Is; especially with Yasir around as the main leg spinner in tests anyway

Kid isn't learning quick enough. Too many of his deliveries to batsmen that a aggressive are always in the arc. I don't know what plans the bowlers are having, it's clearly not working.

PakPassion.net: What do you feel you need to do to become a regular member of the Pakistan Test side?

Shadab Khan: I really enjoyed my debut in the Test match against the West Indies and I really do want to play more Tests for Pakistan. I know that the only way I can do that is by playing as many four-day games as possible. I have a lot of Twenty20 and One-Day experience but that is of limited use in the longer format of the game so I need to work hard to try and build my skills in the four-day game. Playing in that format will also help me develop the physical strength and mental aspects which are needed if you want to be a top Test bowler. For the moment, I am really looking forward to my debut first-class season where I intend to play for SNGPL. Hopefully I can play as many four-day games as possible in this season and do well in them for my team.

21766388_1460049287411816_8456132974249246192_n.jpg

21949905_1460051220744956_5207691922143779218_o.jpg

21688314_1460049114078500_3654801539821374986_o.jpg

Shadab has the potential to be a superstar for Pakistan. One other thing to note is he has the personality as well.

Has lots going for him, but needs to keep working hard on that fiercely spun leg break. He must not become too reliant on the googly as it will hurt his shoulder and it will also be picked easily by the better players

47 in the second innings and follows it up with 4/12. Great start for Shady. :shadab

Yes, great start. The only question is were the batsmen playing the man or playing the ball?

It's great to see him committing to the longer format by playing domestic cricket. Talent will take you so far but dedication is also required.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Very happy with my FC performance. Looking to learn a lot this season from regular 4 day cricket.</p>— Shadab Khan (@76Shadabkhan) <a href="https://twitter.com/76Shadabkhan/status/914144232901890049?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 30, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x62pteh" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x62pt66" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shadab Khan celebrating his 19th birthday yesterday
shadab khan.jpg

Making steady progress this lad.

I just hope the selectors don't push him into all 3 formats too soon like they have with babar Azam.

What 4 day match?

He is playing 4 innings match, of which first 2 are ODI innings, 2nd 2 T20 .......... couple of years time people will question why the guy is pitching 6 balls at 6 different spots?

We need to look to phase Yasir Shah out after the South African tour next year. I think Shadab has much more potential. His bowling has more variety , once he learns how to be consistent with where he pitches the ball he will be a handful. Also his batting has potential, I would like to see him batting more in 1st class cricket and in LO cricket because that's how he will improve. And finally we can develop him into a gully fielder and also maybe a slip fielder as he is a brilliant fielder. Overall as a package he had more to his game than Yasir. Must get him in the test team within the next 2 years.

He's young should develop more in FC and not be dropped too quickly not a test bowler at the moment playing 2 leg spinners is risky.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What a consistent bowler Shadab Khan is:<br>ODI Innings bowled in 29<br>Wickets 43<br>Economy rate 4.62<br><br>The most runs he has conceded in a 10-over spell in ODIs is only 52<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SAvPAK?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SAvPAK</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1086628711552729088?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 19, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What a consistent bowler Shadab Khan is:<br>ODI Innings bowled in 29<br>Wickets 43<br>Economy rate 4.62<br><br>The most runs he has conceded in a 10-over spell in ODIs is only 52<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SAvPAK?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SAvPAK</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1086628711552729088?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 19, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Easily the best spinner we have,bowled with control today with less googlies,he needs to flight it.I think playing that last test has changed his approach.

Easily the best spinner we have,bowled with control today with less googlies,he needs to flight it.I think playing that last test has changed his approach.

You were calling him pseudo-allrounder during last test.

Playing him in tests will help his development. I think he is a potential superstar so should be backed.

Glad shadab have realize he needs to work on his leg spinner rather than bowling alot of googly .

He is also bowling at lower pace which is very good it will allow him to spin the ball which was evidence in today game

Quite apart from his performances and skills i absolutely love his personality.

Just the right amount of aggression and fearlessness.

An excellent young Cricketer who could become something very special. Needs to concentrate on a hard spun leg break and batting at 8. He should use Ashwin as a role model for his batting

Really liking how shadab is developing. His defence has improved as well as his bowling which has got a bit more bite now.

Love his batting temperament + defence against pace bowlers. The reason he is already a lot better than Sarfraz, Imad an Faheem. Mickey sees this.

This guy is our future nr 6 (finisher). But at the moment shouldn't bat higher than 7/8. Hopefully he bats longer in FC games.

ISLAMABAD-Leg spinner Shadab Khan has said that Rawalpindi Region head coach Sabih Azhar is one of the best coaches in the country and he is a main person behind his success.

Talking to The Nation, Shadab said: “Trust me, when I started playing cricket for Siddique-e-Akbar Club in Rawalpindi, my club president Sajjad supported me wholeheartedly. He was driving force behind me as he not only motivated me but also recognized my talent and potential. I worked really hard and succeeded in reaching at such a level.

“I played U-13, U-16 and U-19 cricket for Rawalpindi Region and believe me, it was Sabih Azhar, who always had a huge trust and confidence in my abilities. When I played U-19 World Cup for Pakistan, I performed really well, which further strengthened the belief of Sabih on me,” he added.

Shadab said: “I had hardly played one ODI for Pakistan, when we were playing in National One Day Cup at Pindi Stadium and I was representing Rawalpindi Region in 2017. All the players were sitting in the dressing room and Sabih Azhar, who was our coach, all of a sudden announced that Shadab is the key player for not only Rawalpindi but for Pakistan team as well and he will play 100 Test and at least 400 ODIs for Pakistan.

“It stunned all present on the occasion and the players were laughing at me. They never believed what Sabih had said while I was also not sure what the coach had predicated? I never took it seriously but kept on working hard and only in a year or so, I played for Pakistan not only in ODIs and T20 but also got the Test cap at a very young age.

“It was Sabih Azhar’s belief and trust which was driving force behind me. He always stands rock solid behind all the cricketers of his region and when our performances are not up to the mark, he always motivates us and tells us to keep working hard, your time will come,” he added.

About Sabih Azhar’s services for Pakistan cricket and especially for Rawalpindi Region, Shadab said: “I think Sabih bahi has done a tremendous job with the youth of Rawalpindi. He has provided ample chances to the youngsters and Rawalpindi Region is blessed with immense amount of talent and we are quite lucky that we get chances to play first for our region and then for the country.

“If we look at the contributions, Sabih has made for Rawalpindi and Pakistan, we can easily understand his matchless passion and devotion for Pakistan cricket. He spends hours and hours in nets and tries to help all of us. Umer Amin, Awais Zia, Sohail Tanvir, Yasir Arafat, Hammad Azam and many more are the real production of coach Sabih Azhar,” he added.

The leg spinner said that it is a bitter reality that there is a shortage of playing grounds in Rawalpindi Region, which badly needs more quality cricket grounds, as without them, we can’t find and groom fresh talent. If we have to play and train after 2pm daily, we have to wait for weeks to get matches, then it is not a coach’s fault.

“I request government to construct more cricket grounds, as it will help the region and country in hinting fresh talent, which can prove an asset for the country. Sabih is an international-standard coach and he deserves to be with the national team. I hope time is not far, when Sabih will get a major assignment with national team,” Shadab conclude

https://nation.com.pk/02-May-2019/sabih-azhar-s-trust-made-me-an-int-l-player-says-shadab

What 4 day match?

He is playing 4 innings match, of which first 2 are ODI innings, 2nd 2 T20 .......... couple of years time people will question why the guy is pitching 6 balls at 6 different spots?

It’s not yet couple of years though ......

Back