[VIDEOS] "I try to hit 100 to 150 sixes in practice so I'm ready to hit sixes in the match": Asif Ali

Your being harsh he’s not a player for a collapse his game is power hitting for 15-20 balls mixing boundaries with singles.

Problem is more often he 'power hits' it straight to the fielders hands than the boundaries.

No batter should succeed once in 15 to 20 innings.

To me that is not a batter, rather a slogger.

That is not what batting is about in my opinion.

Can you mange find any batsman who is better than him at that position? Who is better than him from Pakistan. I challenge you to find a better batter who bats at 7.

Not much of a challenge really

The likes of shadab, nawaz and imad can do a better job than him batting at that position Theres several more from domestics too that could do better than avge 15 for pakistan On top of that they bowl too

Asifs stats are embarrassing for a batter who offers nothing else to the team

I use to criticise afridi for his batting but hell he puts asif alis batting to shame

No batter should succeed once in 15 to 20 innings.

To me that is not a batter, rather a slogger.

That is not what batting is about in my opinion.
I guess we have different standards for each batter?

Our openers score 50 off 45 balls. “It’s fine!!!”

Asif Ali is asked to chase 120 off 60 balls. He slogs and gets out saving the team like a hero. “He is horrible!!!”

Last edited:
Asif Ali is asked to chase 120 off 60 balls. He slogs and gets out saving the team like a hero. “He is horrible!!!”

Ask Asif Ali to chase 60 off 50 balls against a half decent bowling attack, and he will disappoint you 18 times out of 20.

Ask Asif Ali to chase 60 off 50 balls against a half decent bowling attack, and he will disappoint you 18 times out of 20.

Very true.

We have seen situations countless times now where Asif Ali is required to actually play a proper innings. He ends up letting himself and the team down more than 9/10 times. Just look up how many 50's he's made in his career.

A game which solely involves 'swing the bat and pray' isn't a recipe for anything other than disaster at international level.

He has chased 24 off 12 balls.

60 in 50 balls will be an absolute piece of cake for him.

I guess we have different standards for each batter?

Our openers score 50 off 45 balls. “It’s fine!!!”

It depends on what you class as a batter.

In my book someone who scores 20 off 10 balls once in a blue moon and fails most of the time isn't a batter.

Asif Ali isn't reliable, that's a fact. These types of hacks need to be moved along. The tailenders should all be trained to hit sixes at the death if that's all Asif Ali's there for.

I'd rather invest in the up and coming youngsters who are showing skill and promise than persisting with a TTF.

Tape ball hoicks are not needed in Hard ball cricket unless boundaries are 30meters, Tape ball never makes you a batter and is only good for bowlers.
Asif Ali has failed countless times and shouldn't be in anyone's mind for our International side

What a scam this guy!

Tell him to chase 10 off 7 balls, and he is happy. Ask him to bat like a man for 50 balls and he wets his pants every single bloody time.

Last edited:
114 runs in 9 innings so far at PSL 8.

A luxury that IU feel they can afford.

iski practices ko cancel karo bhaiiiii.... seedha match mein utaaro.... allah da waasta ae...

True. Though he is one of the few batsmen you can play lower down at 6 or 7 and know he will hit with a decent SR. More worth than keeping guys like Iftikhar or Khushdil down the order who struggle to hit at a good SR ball one as well as average. I wouldn’t mind keeping him around at 6/7 until we find people to replace him.

114 runs in 9 innings so far at PSL 8.

A luxury that IU feel they can afford.

Well maybe even they have now realised that he's that luxury that they no longer can afford.

It is startling how the standards of Pakistan cricket have fallen. Someone like Asif would not last 10 matches in the past teams. Afridi was bashed regularly for throwing away his wicket and he scored more runs and more frequently than this so-called hitter despite playing as an all-rounder.

It is startling how the standards of Pakistan cricket have fallen. Someone like Asif would not last 10 matches in the past teams. Afridi was bashed regularly for throwing away his wicket and he scored more runs and more frequently than this so-called hitter despite playing as an all-rounder.

Absolutely.

These days a guy scores 10 off 2 balls once in a blue moon and he has seen as a finisher and superstar.

This guy shouldn't play for Pakistan again. He shouldn't play in PSL again either. Awful, awful player.

This guy shouldn't play for Pakistan again. He shouldn't play in PSL again either. Awful, awful player.

He has no game He cant play any shots on the ground, he cant rotate the strike cant place it in gaps

Hes the definition of a tape ball player Just hits it up in the air down the fielders throats Awful player

He has no game He cant play any shots on the ground, he cant rotate the strike cant place it in gaps

Hes the definition of a tape ball player Just hits it up in the air down the fielders throats Awful player

I am amazed that this guy played over 50 international T20s for Pakistan. Pakistan batting standards are an all time low, if this guy played so many times for Pakistan.

I am amazed that this guy played over 50 international T20s for Pakistan. Pakistan batting standards are an all time low, if this guy played so many times for Pakistan.

It is only now that Pakistan are coming out of a very, very dark time for batting talent in the country.

Even then we are banking on Saim Ayub and Mohammad Haris to do a job for us when little is known about how they'll fare internationally.

It's a shame we don't have enough batsmen in the country to let these two play a bit more in domestics before selecting them for the national team. But when your competition includes Asif Ali, naturally we are very desperate.

It is only now that Pakistan are coming out of a very, very dark time for batting talent in the country.

Even then we are banking on Saim Ayub and Mohammad Haris to do a job for us when little is known about how they'll fare internationally.

It's a shame we don't have enough batsmen in the country to let these two play a bit more in domestics before selecting them for the national team. But when your competition includes Asif Ali, naturally we are very desperate.

Both Saim Ayub and Mohammad Haris seem like talented batsman. I just hope that they can produce it at international level, otherwise we will back to frauds like Asif, Khsudil, Shan etc.

Let him open

What’s there to lose?

This 1000%. I've been saying this forever, the guy was made to open. 9/10 times he gets out he gets caught in the deep, by opening in the powerplay he can clear the field more effectively with only two outfielders in the powerplay. Also prefers pace on the ball and will be more likely to face pacers when opening.

I say let him open and give him a free license to play his game. If he gets out early then Babar can come in at 3 and he and Rizwan can do their traditional 7 RPO powerplay

This 1000%. I've been saying this forever, the guy was made to open. 9/10 times he gets out he gets caught in the deep, by opening in the powerplay he can clear the field more effectively with only two outfielders in the powerplay. Also prefers pace on the ball and will be more likely to face pacers when opening.

I say let him open and give him a free license to play his game. If he gets out early then Babar can come in at 3 and he and Rizwan can do their traditional 7 RPO powerplay

He will probably still put it down the throat of those two outfielders .

How would you rate his ability to play the short ball?

Because batting in the powerplay isn't just "hit it over the infield and InshaAllah". If that is the case just send Shaheen and Rauf to open without wasting a spot of a proper batsman.

An opener needs to have the ability to actually bat and Asif Ali falls short of that rather important facet of the game.

Because batting in the powerplay isn't just "hit it over the infield and InshaAllah". If that is the case just send Shaheen and Rauf to open without wasting a spot of a proper batsman.

An opener needs to have the ability to actually bat and Asif Ali falls short of that rather important facet of the game.

You think he will be able to survive new ball spells against the likes of Starc, Nortje, Hazelwood, Cummins, Rabada, Bumrah (and more)?

You think he will be able to survive new ball spells against the likes of Starc, Nortje, Hazelwood, Cummins, Rabada, Bumrah (and more)?

No chance And even if he does the spinners will open and get him

Theres no hiding place in intnl cricket If you arent good enough and are one dimensional you will get found out like asif ali has

Should rename the thread.

"I try to get out 100 to 150 times in practice so I'm ready”

He will probably still put it down the throat of those two outfielders .

Possibly, but I mean the less outfielders there are the less likely he'll get caught out. I'm just going off memory here, obviously I could be wrong, but I don't recall him getting out too often by top edging and skying a catch inside the circle.

How would you rate his ability to play the short ball?

Pretty poor, but then again who in Pakistan can play the short ball.

Very fair points. I'd point to the few examples of pinch hitters opening like Sunil Narine who has some success with the "hit it over the infield and inshallah". Of course, this is just probably the one successful example.

Not many can, even the greats have struggled against the likes of those and Asif Ali is far from a great.

I know it's a pretty strange idea but all I'm saying is imagine if Asif Ali (who has shown power hitting skills, albeit inconsistently, far above those found in Pakistan) is sent to open with a "hit from ball one" mindset.

Either (1) he can smash quick runs, at 180-200+ strike rates, putting Pakistan in a dominant batting position. Or (2), he gets out early, doesn't waste precious deliveries, and lets someone else get a go.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Azhar Mahmood "it's really important for Asif Ali to understand it's not just about hitting fours and sixes" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/g534mNxSR5">pic.twitter.com/g534mNxSR5</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1644282149913214976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 7, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4 consecutive sixes to Haris Rauf by Asif Ali in the T10 exhbition game today!

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="wg6I4er"><a href="https://imgur.com/wg6I4er">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Asif Ali - run out for 3 today in LPL for B-Love Kandy vs Dambulla Aura

And the rest of his scores in LPL

PuD1CUi.png

Pretty good scores by Pakistani standards seems like we have found another Afridi. if we coudl tolerate Afridi for too long then why not who knows when he plays a crucial innings at the right time. The whole country is being run on prayers so why show double standards for Asif Ali.

Pretty good scores by Pakistani standards seems like we have found another Afridi. if we coudl tolerate Afridi for too long then why not who knows when he plays a crucial innings at the right time. The whole country is being run on prayers so why show double standards for Asif Ali.
Who showed Asif Ali double standards? He has played fifty five t20i's with the following results.

Average: 15.11
S/R: 134 (barely above Babar and Rizwan)
Fifties: 0

You can try and make as many excuses as you want. Asif Ali is not an international standard cricketer and anyone who thinks otherwise has an IQ around the same level as his batting average.

Who showed Asif Ali double standards? He has played fifty five t20i's with the following results.

Average: 15.11
S/R: 134 (barely above Babar and Rizwan)
Fifties: 0

You can try and make as many excuses as you want. Asif Ali is not an international standard cricketer and anyone who thinks otherwise has an IQ around the same level as his batting average.
Still he won few crucial games for Pakistan. Remember that Afghanistan and Newzealand Game.

Still he won few crucial games for Pakistan. Remember that Afghanistan and Newzealand Game.
He finished off the India game and also did well in the Afghanistan game in the Asia cup. He also did enough for Pakistan to win a couple of games against England in the 7 match series

The guy needs to add more I admit., it’s a shame he doesn’t bowl otherwise I would take him any day over Iftikhar and Nawaz who only offer more due to bowling

Not with this thing again... His fans need to move on.

Asif is the worst batsman to ever play for Pakistan, period.

He's had an awful LPL:

Just 88 runs in 8 innings - Average of 14.66 and a strike rate of 131.34

He's had an awful LPL:

Just 88 runs in 8 innings - Average of 14.66 and a strike rate of 131.34
Pretty accurate given his overall statistics.

His top score for Pakistan is just 52! That is across 62 innings. This is an utter humiliation for himself and for the nation.

Anyone reading this should urgently check themselves into the psychiatrist if they still think he is a good cricketer.

Who’s team is playing a final?

Asif Ali’s. Not Babar’s.

Babar’s was knocked out

So if this team put in Clint Eastwood, he too would be better than Babar.😅😅😅😅
Again, you are having trouble coming to terms with facts.

Babar was knocked out of the tournament. The first team to get knocked out of the tournament was Colombo. They signed Babar, that too without the auction process. They got knocked out, Babar as usual couldn’t make it to the next round.

Asif Ali’s team is in the final, they will at least finish 2nd whilst Babar’s team finishes last. These are facts.

Again, you are having trouble coming to terms with facts.

Babar was knocked out of the tournament. The first team to get knocked out of the tournament was Colombo. They signed Babar, that too without the auction process. They got knocked out, Babar as usual couldn’t make it to the next round.

Asif Ali’s team is in the final, they will at least finish 2nd whilst Babar’s team finishes last. These are facts.
AA averages less than 15 😳 , and played no role in his teams success.

That’s for his team and captain to decide

As of now, the decision to keep him in the side has paid off, they are in the final.

Babar’s team had a decision to make as well when their captain was out injured. They opted to not be embarrassed further by appointing Karunaratne as captain instead.

That’s for his team and captain to decide

As of now, the decision to keep him in the side has paid off, they are in the final.

Babar’s team had a decision to make as well when their captain was out injured. They opted to not be embarrassed further by appointing Karunaratne as captain instead.
Scored less than a 100 runs and has been awful. Obviously that makes a captaincy material 😅

Scored less than a 100 runs and has been awful. Obviously that makes a captaincy material 😅
Yes why not? The captain who scores plenty of runs is an absolute joke, Colombo worked that out, Pakistan should do too

I see too much critiscism in this thread. Asif Ali is a generational finisher and I think some more patience with him will pay dividends. History has shown that giving players freedom to play without threatning to drop them has led them to bring out their best version on the field. Letting Asif know he is a constant presence in our team will encourage him and bring out the best within him. I can see him as a version of Suryakumar Yadav on steroids.

Easily the worst batsmen to represent Pakistan in T20s asides from U Akmal, Sarfaraz and Sharjeel.

A robotic hack who has one shot in the book and that shot is only played against low quality C bowlers

LPL Champion

Match-winning/Tournament winning contribution MashaAllah

Tbf Mathews was class under pressure but AA came in and added vital runs at a very crucial time, game was tilting in Dambullah’s favour.

Asif Ali doing Asif Ali things under pressure.

Easily the worst batsmen to represent Pakistan in T20s asides from U Akmal, Sarfaraz and Sharjeel.

A robotic hack who has one shot in the book and that shot is only played against low quality C bowlers
Boult and Southee are low quality bowlers? Rizwan and Babar have made a career feasting on them. What does that tell you about those two?

High pressure game

50 needed off 30

Asif Ali is maybe the only player in Pakistan who I trust to get me these runs. Dangerous, dangerous player

I see too much critiscism in this thread. Asif Ali is a generational finisher and I think some more patience with him will pay dividends. History has shown that giving players freedom to play without threatning to drop them has led them to bring out their best version on the field. Letting Asif know he is a constant presence in our team will encourage him and bring out the best within him. I can see him as a version of Suryakumar Yadav on steroids.
How much more patience bhai? He has walked out for Pakistan 62 times in his career. How many chances do you give to someone who hasn't even crossed 52 runs in that time and has precisely zero t20 fifties.

He is not some youngsta beauty who just needs some FC experience to come good.

He is a pathetic hack with limited strokeplay, almost zero intelligence and no other facets to his game which make him useful to Pakistan whatsoever.

How much more patience bhai? He has walked out for Pakistan 62 times in his career. How many chances do you give to someone who hasn't even crossed 52 runs in that time and has precisely zero t20 fifties.

He is not some youngsta beauty who just needs some FC experience to come good.

He is a pathetic hack with limited strokeplay, almost zero intelligence and no other facets to his game which make him useful to Pakistan whatsoever.
The level of hate

AA drinks tears of his haters (like yourself) in the trophies he wins for his team.

Champion player. Respect him

Asif Ali has been cashing in cheques around the world whilst his haters have been cashing in eggs on their face

Champion…champion
Everybody now say Asif a champion!

Born: October 1, 1991 (age 32 years), Faisalabad, Pakistan
Happy Birthday to Pakistan's middle-order batsman Asif Ali who made his international debut in 2018 known for his power-hitting and ability to finish the innings. 🎂

Asif Ali scored an unbeaten 48 from 25 balls with the help of two boundaries and four sixes. The guy helps another side to win a trophy.

Back