ICC announces 'Player of the Month'

Heroes from Australia’s gold medal winning Commonwealth Games performance are honoured in the shortlist for the ICC Women’s Player of the Month for August 2022. Tahlia McGrath and Beth Mooney starred with bat and ball on the way to winning the inaugural edition of women’s cricket on the event programme of Birmingham ‘22. India’s Jemimah Rodrigues is the third name shortlisted for the award following notable contributions at the crease in her side’s surge to the landmark final at Edgbaston.

The nominees for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award pay tribute to some of memorable performances registered across all three formats in August. Sikandar Raza becomes the first Zimbabwe player to be nominated since Sean Williams back in March 2021, thanks to a series of outstanding contributions with the bat against Bangladesh and India. New Zealand all-rounder Mitchell Santner demonstrated his multi-format capabilities with bat and ball in August during his side’s series against Netherlands and West Indies, while Ben Stokes completes the lineup following his heroics at Old Trafford in the ICC World Test Championship (WTC) second Test which saw the England skipper restore parity for his side against South Africa.

An independent ICC Voting Academy* and fans around the world can now vote to decide the winners, which will be announced next week. Fans registered on icc-cricket.com/awards are invited to cast their votes until Saturday.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month Nominees for August:

Tahlia McGrath (AUS)

McGrath was a key member of Australia’s gold medal winning team, taking five wickets at an average of 13.40 and scoring 114 runs throughout August. Despite a quiet showing in the final itself, her star performance came in the victory over Pakistan, where she scored 78 not out, took three wickets and registered a run out. This run of performances also helped her reach her career-high ranking of 12th among all-rounders in the MRF Tyres ICC Women’s T20I Player Rankings.

Beth Mooney (AUS)

Mooney is a player for the big occasion, and her nomination for the ICC Women’s Player of the Month Award is no surprise following an outstanding array of performances to secure her side’s gold medal. She registered a remarkable 167 runs in her three T20Is during August, and followed up her half-century in the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup Final victory back in April with a match-winning score of 62 against India in the final of the Commonwealth Games.

Jemimah Rodrigues (IND)

August was a prolific month for India’s young batter, and despite falling agonizingly short at the final hurdle, Rodrigues played a crucial role in helping her side celebrate silver medal success at Birmingham ’22. Her score of 33 in the final got her side within touching distance of the top prize, but it was perhaps her vital contribution of 44 not out against England in the semi-final which was most important during the tournament, ensuring India took to the field in the first-ever appearance of women’s cricket at the Commonwealth Games.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month Nominees for August:

Sikandar Raza (Zim)

Zimbabwe’s star all-rounder has enjoyed a sensational 2022 so far and continued his magnificent form in August during his side’s contests against Bangladesh and India. Raza was instrumental in claiming the ODI series victory for his side against Bangladesh thanks to unbeaten scores of 135 and 117 which came during two superb run-chases. He followed this up with a fine 115 against India in the final ODI in Harare albeit in a losing cause. In addition to his batting feats, he took seven key wickets during August, cementing his growing all-round credentials and seeing him rise to a career-high position of fourth in the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s ODI Player Rankings.

Mitchell Santner (NZ)

So often known for his bowling prowess in the shorter formats, Santner finds himself on the shortlist for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month for the first time after solid performances during his side’s recent series in Netherlands and West Indies. A fine 77 not out in the Netherlands saw his side claim victory in the second T20I before he was unleashed on the West Indies batters in the ODI and T20I series that followed. Bowling superbly throughout, Santner finished the month having taken seven wickets at an average of 17 in T20Is, with a further four wickets across ODIs at an average of 21.

Ben Stokes (ENG)

Following a humbling defeat in the first Test, England’s talismanic skipper produced another memorable performance to help his side level the series in the WTC battle against visiting South Africa. Amassing 143 runs throughout the month and claiming seven wickets including the prized scalps of Rassie van der Dussen, Keegan Petersen and Aiden Markram, his most notable contribution came with his commanding century at Old Trafford, securing a comfortable victory and ensuring the series is in the balance ahead of the final showdown at the Oval this week.

The ICC Player of the Month Voting Process:

The three nominees for either category are shortlisted based on performances from the first to the last day of each calendar month. The shortlist is then voted on by the independent ICC Voting Academy* and fans around the world. The ICC Voting Academy comprises prominent members of the cricket fraternity including well-known journalists, former players, broadcasters and members of the ICC Hall of Fame. The Voting Academy submit their votes by email and hold a 90 per cent share of the vote. Fans registered with the ICC can vote via the ICC website, accounting for the remaining 10 per cent. Winners are announced every second Monday of the month on ICC’s digital channels.

Voting Academy for ICC Player of the Month August 2022*:

Afghanistan: Hameed Qayoomi and Javed Hamim; Australia: Melinda Farrell and Lisa Sthalekar; Bangladesh: Mohammad Sekander Ali and Md Ariful Islam Roney; England: Elizabeth Ammon and Lydia Greenway; Ireland: Ger Siggins and Clare Shillington; India: Lavanya Lakshmi Narayanan and Irfan Pathan; New Zealand: Jordan Oppert and Craig Cumming; Pakistan: Sawera Pasha and Sana Mir; South Africa: Zaahier Adams and JP Duminy; Sri Lanka: Azzam Ameen and Farveez Maharoof; West Indies: Daren Ganga and Merissa Aguilleira; Zimbabwe: Daniel Nhakaniso and Mpumelelo Mbangwa; Others: Ajit Vijaykumar and Dirk Nannes.

history by becoming the first Zimbabwe player to win the ICC Men's Player of the Month award.

Raza beat New Zealand all-rounder Mitchell Santner and England star Ben Stokes to claim the monthly award for August, with the 36-year-old scoring three ODI centuries during the month alone.

It means Raza joins an illustrious group of players to have won the ICC monthly gong and becomes the first from Zimbabwe to do so.

DOWNLOAD THE OFFICIAL ICC APP TODAY

FOLLOW USlabel.follow.facebooklabel.follow.twitterlabel.follow.instagramlabel.follow.youtube

12 Sep 22

Zimbabwe star creates history by claiming monthly award

ICC POTM

HIT FOR SIX!

Veteran all-rounder Sikandar Raza has created history by becoming the first Zimbabwe player to win the ICC Men's Player of the Month award.

Raza beat New Zealand all-rounder Mitchell Santner and England star Ben Stokes to claim the monthly award for August, with the 36-year-old scoring three ODI centuries during the month alone.

It means Raza joins an illustrious group of players to have won the ICC monthly gong and becomes the first from Zimbabwe to do so.

In rare air: Sikandar Raza gaining admirers with ridiculous 2022

Understandably, Raza was over the moon to add the award to his ever-improving cricket resume.

"I'm incredibly humbled and honoured to have won the player of the month award from the ICC – more humbling that I’m the first Zimbabwean to ever win such an award," Raza said.

"I would like to thank everybody who has been in the changeroom with me over the past three to four months – that goes out to the technical staff and to the players. Without you guys this would not have been possible.

"Lastly, I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the fans in Zimbabwe and overseas for all your prayers, for all your wishes...they were well received and I’m forever grateful."

Three strong candidates have made the shortlist for ICC Men's Player of the Month for September 2022.

Mohammad Rizwan (Pakistan)

The No.1 T20I batter in the MRF Tyres ICC Men's Player Rankings continued his domination in the shortest format of the game and put his name on the shortlist for the Player of the Month for September.

In the 10 games that he played last month, Rizwan scored seven fifties. His month began with two scores of 70+ against Hong Kong and India in the Asia Cup. He finished the tournament with yet another fifty and as the leading run-scorer but Pakistan fell short on the final hurdle.

In the first five T20Is of the seven-match series against England, he registered four scores of 60+ to help his side take a 3-2 lead. Despite playing one less game, he still finished the series as the highest run-scorer with 316 runs at an average of 63.20 while going at 138.60.

Cameron Green (Australia)

Cameron Green's splendid month of September has seen fans and experts clamouring for him to be a part of Australia's T20 World Cup squad.

In the first ODI against New Zealand, Australia were staring down the barrel at 44/5 chasing 233 when he played a match-winning 89* battling through cramps that took the hosts to victory with two wickets to spare. In the next game, he made a quick-fire 25* off 12 balls and also picked up two wickets as Australia completed a whitewash over their Trans-Tasman rivals.

In the absence of several first-team players, Cameron Green found a spot in Australia's playing XI in the T20I series against India and was even promoted to open the batting. Chasing 209, he made a blistering 61 off 30 laced with eight fours and four sixes that set the platform for Australia to complete a memorable chase and take a 1-0 lead.

Green was even more destructive in the final match, smashing Indian bowlers to all parts en route to his 21-ball 52 and also achieved the record of scoring the second-fastest fifty by an Australian in T20Is.

Axar Patel (India)

The series between India and Australia was dominated by batters but Axar Patel was the one bowler who stood out both with his wicket-taking ability as well his skill to contain the runs.

In the game where Australia managed to chase down 209, Patel was India's best bowler by a mile with figures of 3/17 in four overs. In the rain-truncated eight-over affair in the second match, he gave away just 13 runs in two overs while scalping the big wickets of Glenn Maxwell and Tim David.

In the final game, he broke two crucial partnerships with the wickets of Aaron Finch and Josh Inglis before removing the dangerous Matthew Wade. Going at just 6.30 runs an over in the three games against Australia, Axar finished with eight wickets in a series where the next highest wicket-taker picked up only three wickets.

Axar continued his form in the series against South Africa, giving away just 16 runs in four overs in the first T20I in Thiruvananthapuram.

ICC

Pakistan batter Mohammad Rizwan has been crowned the ICC Men's Player of the Month for September 2022 after some stellar performances.

Rizwan beat competition from ace Indian spinner Axar Patel and emerging Australian all-rounder Cameron Green, who both had a month to remember.

Rizwan was in stunning form in September, churning out some sizzling performances in T20Is. The No.1 T20I batter in the MRF Tyres ICC Men's Player Rankings continued his domination in the shortest format of the game and put his name on the shortlist for the Player of the Month for September.

On winning the award, an elated Rizwan said: "I would like to thank Almighty Allah and express my heartfelt delight to all that enabled me to achieve this award.

"I want to give my high appreciation to all my teammates as they made things easy for me. These achievements boost your confidence. I am happy with my performance and I would like to take this momentum forward in Australia.

"I would like to dedicate this award to the people in Pakistan who are affected by the floods and climate change. Hopefully this will bring smiles on their faces."

In the 10 games that he played last month, Rizwan scored seven fifties. His month began with two scores of 70+ against Hong Kong and India in the Asia Cup. He finished the tournament with yet another fifty and as the leading run-scorer but Pakistan fell short on the final hurdle.

In the first five T20Is of the seven-match series against England, he registered four scores of 60+ to help his side take a 3-2 lead. Despite playing one less game, he still finished the series as the highest run-getter with 316 runs at an average of 63.20 while going at 138.60.

ICC

Pakistan batter Mohammad Rizwan has been crowned the ICC Men's Player of the Month for September 2022 after some stellar performances.

Rizwan beat competition from ace Indian spinner Axar Patel and emerging Australian all-rounder Cameron Green, who both had a month to remember.

Rizwan was in stunning form in September, churning out some sizzling performances in T20Is. The No.1 T20I batter in the MRF Tyres ICC Men's Player Rankings continued his domination in the shortest format of the game and put his name on the shortlist for the Player of the Month for September.

On winning the award, an elated Rizwan said: "I would like to thank Almighty Allah and express my heartfelt delight to all that enabled me to achieve this award.

"I want to give my high appreciation to all my teammates as they made things easy for me. These achievements boost your confidence. I am happy with my performance and I would like to take this momentum forward in Australia.

"I would like to dedicate this award to the people in Pakistan who are affected by the floods and climate change. Hopefully this will bring smiles on their faces."

In the first five T20Is of the seven-match series against England, he registered four scores of 60+ to help his side take a 3-2 lead. Despite playing one less game, he still finished the series as the highest run-getter with 316 runs at an average of 63.20 while going at 138.60.

ICC

[MENTION=2016]Rana[/MENTION] He has done it again, ICC POTM.

Well done to big Ris.

95182307.jpg

Apparently he is wearing his player of the month badge

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports...up-match-against-netherlands-article-95182200

Shortlists for the ICC Player of the Month awards were announced today, revealing the best performing players who have shone on the international stage throughout the month of October.

The lineup for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month features three superstars from the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in Australia. India’s talisman Virat Kohli is nominated following his heroics with the bat, most notably in the win against arch-rivals Pakistan. South Africa’s David Miller impressed in the lead up to the tournament, and continued his sparkling form in Australia, including during his side’s victory over India to secure his place in the shortlist. Sikandar Raza of Zimbabwe completes the lineup and seeks to reclaim the award he won in August thanks to a series of Player of the Match performances in the opening stages of the T20 World Cup.

In the ICC Women’s Player of the Month category, Jemimah Rodrigues and Deepti Sharma are named on the shortlist following their Asia Cup heroics for India. Rodrigues ended the tournament as the leading run-scorer while teammate Sharma was named Player of the Tournament and joint leading wicket-taker. Nida Dar is the final candidate in contention for claiming the award for October as her handy contributions with bat and ball drove Pakistan to the semi-finals of the same event.

An independent ICC Voting Academy* and fans around the world can now vote to decide the winners, which will be announced next week. Fans registered at icc-cricket.com/awards are invited to cast their votes until Sunday.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month Nominees for October:

Virat Kohli (IND)

Kohli is nominated for the very first time in the ICC Player of the Month awards, and while registering 205 runs across the calendar month, he showed glimpses of his very best form. He looked at ease in scoring an unbeaten 62 against a dogged Netherlands, however his highlight came in the era-defining innings played in front of a full house in Melbourne as his side claimed a historic victory against rivals Pakistan. The iconic display saw Kohli rally his side from 31 for four to chase down the 160 target on the final ball, thanks to an unforgettable score of 82 not out from 53 balls.

David Miller (SA)

Like Kohli, Miller is also named on the men’s shortlist for the very first time, and he started the month in the bilateral series against India, scoring 117 runs across three ODIs and 125 runs in two T20Is, including a brutal knock of 106 not out in 79 balls in Guwahati. This blistering form was carried into the T20 World Cup where his most significant contribution during the month came in the successful run chase against the same opposition on a challenging Perth track. His unbeaten 59 was crucial to seeing his side over the line after losing quick wickets early, further outlining his credentials as a big game player for South Africa.

Sikandar Raza (ZIM)

Raza is going through a purple patch for performances in 2022, and finds himself nominated for the second time in three months. The talented all-rounder claimed the award back in August and was a key player in sealing Zimbabwe’s qualification through to the Super 12 stages of the T20 World Cup. Scoring 145 runs and taking nine wickets at a formidable average of 14.66 from his six T20Is, he won three Player of the Match awards, including for his contribution in the wins against Ireland (82 not out) and the shock result against Pakistan (3-25).

ICC Women’s Player of the Month Nominees for October:

Nida Dar (PAK)

Dar has for so long been an influential figure in the Pakistan lineup, and throughout the Women’s Asia Cup in Bangladesh last month, she showed the full range of her batting and bowling abilities. She finished the month having scored 145 runs at an average of 72.50 in her seven T20Is, as well as taking eight wickets. Despite not getting to the final, Dar was inspirational not least in her side's historic victory over India in Sylhet, where she won the Player of the Match award for her unbeaten 56 and two wickets for 23.

Jemimah Rodrigues (IND)

Rodrigues was previously nominated back in August thanks to her stellar displays in the Commonwealth Games, and once again she was a driving force behind India’s surge to Women’s Asia Cup success. When her side celebrated victory over Sri Lanka in the final, Rodrigues was the leading run-scorer for the tournament, having amassed 217 runs from her eight matches at an average of 54.25. Among her top displays was the 76 she scored against the eventual finalists in the opening game, setting the tone for India’s prize-winning campaign.

Deepti Sharma (IND)

Another of India’s talismanic performers, Sharma enjoyed a prolific month during the Women’s Asia Cup, departing with the event trophy and the Player of the Tournament accolade. Her 13 wickets at a remarkable average of 7.69 underlines the consistent threat she posed with the ball, including impressive figures of three for against Pakistan and three for in the semi-final against Thailand.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced the winners of the ICC Player of the Month awards for October 2022. Virat Kohli claims the ICC Men’s Player of the Month following a series of star performances as India charged their way to the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup semi finals, while Pakistan’s veteran all-rounder Nida Dar is the ICC Women’s Player of the Month thanks to her sensational form in their Women’s Asia Cup campaign.

Kohli celebrates his first Player of the Month prize after registering 205 runs with the bat, and showcasing the full array of his batting talent throughout October. As well as scoring a brilliant half-century against Netherlands in Sydney, he produced an unforgettable innings in the stunning victory over Pakistan in front of a capacity crowd in Melbourne to kick off their Super 12 campaign in the Men’s T20 World Cup. At one stage 31 for four, Kohli asserted his dominance on the opposition bowlers in a memorable display of controlled aggression, eventually guiding his side to chase down the 160 target on the final ball, thanks to his unbeaten 82 from 53 balls.

The India talisman secures the award after being nominated for the first time, edging out a competitive field which included South Africa’s sublime finisher David Miller and the in-form Sikandar Raza of Zimbabwe, who both enjoyed key contributions at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in Australia.

Reacting to his ICC Men’s Player of the Month prize, Kohli commented: “It is a great honour for me to have been voted the ICC Men’s Player of the Month for October. Being chosen as the standout player by fans across the globe as well as the panel makes this accolade even more special for me.

“I want to pay tribute to the other nominees who performed so well during the month and also to my teammates, who continue to support me to perform to the best of my ability.”

Former West Indies international and ICC Player of the Month voting panel member Daren Ganga, added: “Kohli is the quintessential batter. He displayed immense character to overcome a lean period with the bat. October saw him score an unbeaten 49 against South Africa followed by two half centuries at the ICC Men's T20 World Cup.

“That majestic knock against Pakistan will be remembered as one of the all-time best T20I innings. I saw it live at the MCG and to deliver in such style, in that occasion, is only a privilege enjoyed by the greats of this beautiful game.”

For her key contributions to Pakistan’s semi-final surge in the Women’s Asia Cup in Bangladesh, Nida Dar takes home the ICC Women’s Player of the Month award for October.

Scoring 145 valuable runs at an average of 72.50 during the month and taking eight key wickets, the influential all-rounder underlined her importance to the Pakistan cause despite falling short in the knockout stages.

Among the highlights she enjoyed during October, Dar was sensational in the historic victory over India in Sylhet. Batting first, she arrived to the crease at 33 for three, before powering 56 not out to take them to a competitive score of 137. She then went on to star with the ball, taking the key wickets of Harmanpreet Kaur and Jemimah Rodrigues as the eventual tournament winners fell short in dramatic fashion.

Dar claims her inaugural ICC Women’s Player of the Month win by edging out Indian duo Rodrigues and Deepti Sharma, who each produced impressive displays during their winning Women’s Asia Cup triumph.

On winning the ICC Women’s Player of the Month award for October, Dar commented: “It was great to be nominated for the award, and to win it is very special to me. I wish we could have won the Women’s Asia Cup, but I am happy that we as a team are performing, and the recent series win against Ireland at home shows the commitment the girls are putting into their game.

“I take great pride in representing my country and my aim is to contribute in my team winning as much as I can.”

Former Netherlands and Australia international and member of the voting panel Dirk Nannes added: “Nida was in superb form throughout the month with bat and ball and has been a consistent figure for Pakistan women for some time.

“A focal point in the Pakistan bowling attack, she continues to be an important player for them, and she richly deserves to be the ICC Women’s Player of the Month for October.”

Last edited:
The ICC Player of the Month nominees were announced by the International Cricket Council (ICC) today in celebration of the outstanding performances that took place across international cricket in November 2022.

The shortlist for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month for November features two stars of England’s T20 World Cup winning campaign.

Jos Buttler was in inspired form as his side surged to glory, providing a solid platform for success both as skipper, and at the top of the order. Adil Rashid joins him in contention for the Player of the Month crown thanks to a series of restrictive and impressive bowling displays in the latter stages of the tournament.

Finally, despite Pakistan falling short of claiming the T20 World Cup prize at the final hurdle, Shaheen Shah Afridi completes the lineup after his threatening spells with the ball saw him end the tournament as Pakistan’s leading wicket-taker.

In the ICC Women’s Player of the Month category, three opening batters stake their claim for the November prize following impressive performances in bilateral cricket.

Pakistan’s Sidra Ameen celebrates her first nomination in the Player of the Month Awards as she dazzled in the victorious ODI series against Ireland in Lahore. From the opposing side, Ireland’s Gaby Lewis is named on the shortlist following impressive batting exploits in her side’s historic T20I series victory which immediately followed. Thailand’s Natthakan Chantam also enjoyed a prolific month at the crease, registering big scores in her side’s ODI series victory on home soil against the Netherlands.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month Nominees for November:

Shaheen Shah Afridi (PAK)

Spearheading Pakistan’s bowling attack in their surge to the Men’s T20 World Cup Final, Afridi once again proved a constant threat to opposing batters. Taking ten wickets during the month at a superb average of 7.30, his stand-out figures came in the must-win battle against Bangladesh at Adelaide, where his four for 22 secured his side’s passage through to the knockout stages. Although he was withdrawn mid-way through the Final due to injury, he was key to keeping England within reach during the showpiece finale.

Jos Buttler (ENG)

At the top of England’s batting order, Buttler showcased his full repertoire of strokes in a series of glittering displays as his side went on to claim the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup. The England captain started the month in dominant fashion with a Player of the Match performance against New Zealand, registering 73 from 47 balls as his side won by 20 runs in Brisbane. He then bettered this feat in the remarkable semi-final performance against India, where his brutal 80 from 49 balls alongside Alex Hales saw them chase down the 169 target without loss. Alongside his crucial score of 26 in a tense Final, Buttler also provided leadership in the field, ending with the Trophy lift on the field at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Adil Rashid (ENG)

Rashid has proven himself time and again as a world-class bowler in the shortest format and November cemented his credentials as one of the standout performers in England’s armoury. Despite having taken just four wickets across the four T20Is he played in during the month, his expert economy rate of 5.70 was pivotal to restricting opposition scores in high-pressure matches. He claimed the Player of the Match award with figures of one for 16 in the final group game against Sri Lanka at the Sydney Cricket Ground, before excelling in the Final, where the outstanding consistency he demonstrated in his figures of one for 22 was rewarded with the T20 World Cup trophy.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month Nominees for November:

Sidra Ameen (PAK)

Pakistan opener Ameen enjoyed a hugely successful ODI series against Ireland last month, and will be hoping to celebrate her first ICC Player of the Month Award after scoring 277 runs across the three-match series in Lahore and only being dismissed once. She was in imperious form with the bat, recording her highest score of 176 not out in the first ODI, followed up with an unbeaten 91 from 93 balls as Pakistan claimed the whitewash victory 3-0 over the tourists in Lahore, and she walked away with the Player of the Series prize.

Natthakan Chantham (THA)

Chantham has been a key player for Thailand as they continue their rise in international cricket, and her first ODI appearances for her country underlined her abilities as a top-class batter. She is named on the shortlist after guiding Thailand to a 4-0 series win over a touring Netherlands in Chiangmai. Scoring 267 runs across the four matches, the Thailand opener registered her first century in this format in the first game (102 from 135 balls), and followed this up with two further half centuries in the successful series.

Gaby Lewis (IRE)

Ireland’s Gaby Lewis is no stranger to the ICC Player of the Month awards, and sees her name shortlisted for the fourth time. Despite losing the ODI series to Pakistan, Ireland bounced back strongly in the three T20Is which followed. Winning the first match thanks in large part to Lewis’ unbeaten 69 from 54 balls, they then secured the historic series victory in the final game with Lewis once again starring as opening batter. Her stylish 71 from 46 sealed the triumph and a Player of the Series award to cap off the memorable month.

The three nominees for either category are shortlisted based on performances from the first to the last day of each calendar month. The shortlist is then voted on by the independent ICC Voting Academy* and fans around the world. The ICC Voting Academy comprises prominent members of the cricket fraternity including well-known journalists, former players, broadcasters and members of the ICC Hall of Fame. The Voting Academy submit their votes by email and hold a 90 per cent share of the vote. Fans registered with the ICC can vote via the ICC website, accounting for the remaining 10 per cent. Winners are announced every second Monday of the month on ICC’s digital channels.

Voting Academy for ICC Player of the Month November 2022*:

Afghanistan: Hameed Qayoomi and Javed Hamim; Australia: Melinda Farrell and Lisa Sthalekar; Bangladesh: Mohammad Sekander Ali and Md Ariful Islam Roney; England: Elizabeth Ammon and Lydia Greenway; Ireland: Ger Siggins and Clare Shillington; India: Lavanya Lakshmi Narayanan and Irfan Pathan; New Zealand: Jordan Oppert and Craig Cumming; Pakistan: Sawera Pasha and Sana Mir; South Africa: Zaahier Adams and JP Duminy; Sri Lanka: Azzam Ameen and Farveez Maharoof; West Indies: Daren Ganga and Merissa Aguilleira; Zimbabwe: Daniel Nhakaniso and Mpumelelo Mbangwa; Others: Ajit Vijaykumar and Dirk Nannes.

England star Jos Buttler has been crowned the ICC Men's Player of the Month for November 2022 after leading his side to the T20 World Cup title.

Buttler beat competition from compatriot Adil Rashid and Shaheen Shah Afridi to win the award after a strong performance in the crunch semi-final match against India and leading England to their first ICC Men's T20 World Cup title since 2010.

Buttler put on an unbeaten 170-run partnership with Alex Hales for the opening wicket in the run chase against India in the semi-final of the T20 World Cup.

The skipper's unbeaten 49-ball 80 had nine fours and three sixes as England cruised into the final of the tournament where they beat Pakistan to be crowned champions.

Buttler crossed fifty in two of the four T20Is he played in the month aside from helming his team's journey to the coveted title.

Buttler said it was a great honour to win the award and saved special praise for the fans that voted and his teammates who he led superbly to the T20 World Cup title in Australia.

"I want to thank the fans for voting for me as the ICC Player of the Month for November," he said.

"This award is down to the efforts of my teammates in what was the most incredible month of cricket, culminating in winning the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup in Australia.

"It is right up there amongst the best months of cricket I’ve been involved in, and it was pretty special to lead a group of players to the ultimate accolade of becoming world champions."

Former England international and ICC Player of the Month voting panel member Lydia Greenway said Buttler was a worthy winner.

"Jos continues to show the world why he is one of the best white ball players to have graced the game," Greenway said.

"Fearless, skillful and a fantastic leader who, coming into the tournament had big shoes to fill following Eoin Morgan’s departure.

"Determined to do things his way paid off immensely in his own and his team’s performances."

Pakistan opener Sidra Ameen has won the Women's Player of the Month award for the first time after a stellar display with the bat during the month of November.

Ameen smashed 277 runs during the ODI series against Ireland at home, including the fifth-highest individual score in women's ODIs in the first match in Lahore.

The Pakistan opener made an unbeaten 176 off 151 balls in that clash, combining with her partner Muneeba Ali, who also completed a century in the process, in a record 221-run stand for the opening wicket.

The century was also Pakistan's first score greater than 150 in women's ODIs. She went on to make another brilliant contribution in the series at the same venue, making 91* in the second match as Pakistan completed a series victory.

Ameen also rose to 22nd on the ICC Women's ODI Batting Rankings and is the highest ranked Pakistan batter on the list.

Ameen was understandably thrilled to accept the monthly award.

"I feel great to have won this award," she said.

"It is also special following my teammate Nida Dar who won the award for October.

"This shows our team has displayed some great performances in the past few months in international cricket.

"I would like to dedicate this award to my parents and to everyone who has always supported me and prayed for my success.

"My performance with the bat against Ireland which helped the side claim the sweep over Ireland in the ODI series at home will always remain close to my heart.

"Individually, this year has been great for me, I have scored three ODIs centuries and all coming this year.

"And to top it off, ending the year by winning the ICC Women’s Player of the Month for November is just amazing."

ICC Hall of Famer and member of the voting panel Lisa Sthalekar said Ameen was a much-deserved winner.

"When you get an opportunity to score a hundred it is a special moment, but for Sidra to go on and make it a big one, 176 and then to back it up with 91 in the very next match, this shows not only that she has the skills, but she has the temperament."

England's up-and-coming star Harry Brook made an instant impact in Test cricket and has been rewarded with the ICC Men's Player of the Month award for December 2022.

Shorlisted alongside Babar Azam and Travis Head, Harry Brook beat off stiff competition to grab the award after an incredible tour of Pakistan in December.

The 23-year-old played a key role in England's 3-0 whitewash against Pakistan, finishing the series as the highest run-getter with 468 runs in three matches. Brook proved to be a perfect fit for the 'BazBall' approach and slotted in seamlessly in the middle-order in the absence of Jonny Bairstow, with his runs coming at an incredible strike rate of 93.41.

Playing in just his second Test, the youngster returned scores of 153 and 87 in the first match of the series in Rawalpindi. His century in the first innings came off just 116 balls as he picked apart the Pakistan bowling line-up to set the tone for the rest of the series.

He went on to score a hundred each in the remaining two Tests as England dominated on their return to play Test cricket on Pakistan soil after 17 years.

Brook was named the Player of the Series for his incredible exploits with the bat and he now caps off the year with yet another feather in his cap as the ICC Player of the Month for December 2022.

ICC

Two opening batters and a new-ball speedster have been shortlisted for the ICC Men's Player of the Month Award for January 2023.

Devon Conway (New Zealand)

Devon Conway has had a fine start to the year, with three hundreds and two fifties across formats in January. Having closed out the year with scores of 92 and 18* in the first of two Tests against Pakistan in Karachi, Conway began 2023 with a fluent 122 and a golden duck the second, the decider ending in a hard-fought draw to leave the series levelled.

Another golden duck in the first ODI on the tour followed before the left-hander redeemed himself with back-to-back match-winning hundreds to help his side seal the three-match series 2-1.

The form was then carried into the white-ball tour of India, wherein he single-handedly led a stiff 386-run chase with a stroke-filled 138 off 100 in the third ODI in Indore. Conway then scored 52 off 35 in the first of three T20Is in Ranchi, laying the foundation for the Blackcaps’ 21-run victory, their only win on the tour.

Shubman Gill (India)

Following a fruitful 2022 in which he excelled in ODIs and Tests, 2023 promises to be the year of Shubman Gill, given his supreme consistency in white-ball formats already.

Gill was handed his maiden T20I cap in the first T20I against Sri Lanka in Mumbai, where he managed just seven, before another single-digit score in the second game in Pune followed. His steady 46 in the third T20I in Rajkot was perhaps a footnote to Suryakumar Yadav’s sparkling ton that set up India’s 91-run series-clinching win.

Gill then registered scores of 70, 21 and 116 in the three ODI against the island nation, but it was his breathtaking display in the first ODI against New Zealand in Hyderabad that stole the show. The 23-year-old struck 208 off 149 in an incredible knock on a day when none of his teammates crossed 28. Gill got to 200 with three consecutive sixes off Lockie Ferguson, and with it, became the youngest to the milestone in ODIs.

He backed that up with scores of 40* and 112 in his next two outings to close out the series with an aggregate of 360, the joint-highest for anyone in a three-match ODI series, equalling Babar Azam’s record against the West Indies in 2016-17.

Gill wasn’t done just yet, as he started February 2023 with a stunning 126* off 63 in the three-match T20I decider against the Blackcaps in Ahmedabad to become the fifth Indian batter with hundreds in all three international formats.

Mohammed Siraj (India)

With Jasprit Bumrah out of the setup with an extended injury break, Mohammed Siraj has led India’s fast-bowling attack with distinction in ODIs in recent times, showcasing his brilliance consistently, especially with the new ball. His incredible form was rewarded in the MRF Tyres ICC Men's Player Rankings, where he was crowned the No.1 bowler in ODIs.

Mohammed Siraj was crowned the No.1 ODI bowler in January 2023Mohammed Siraj was crowned the No.1 ODI bowler in January 2023
Siraj returned 2/30 from seven overs in a high-scoring first ODI against Sri Lanka in Guwahati and backed it up with figures of 3/30 and 4/32 in his next two outings respectively to finish the leading wicket-taker in the series. The right-arm quick then bagged 4/46 from 10 overs in a high-scoring thriller against New Zealand at his home ground in Hyderabad, before returning a scarcely believable 6-1-10-1 in a brilliant opening burst in the second ODI in Raipur.

Siraj maintained an excellent economy of 3.82 through the five outings, troubling the top-order batters consistently, his victims being Avishka Fernando (thrice), Kusal Mendis (twice), Devon Conway, Tom Latham and Henry Nicholls among others.

ICC

They have an award for this? How does it work out. If nobody plays cricket for month who will they give the award to?

They have an award for this? How does it work out. If nobody plays cricket for month who will they give the award to?

It is a stupid award. Meaningless.

This award would've made sense if all teams played equal amount of games monthly. But, that's not the case.

India opener Shubman Gill, who has been in scintillating form across formats of late, has been named the winner of the ICC Men's Player of the Month award for January 2023.

Nominated alongside New Zealand’s Devon Conway and fellow countryman Mohammed Siraj, Gill bagged the honours for a brilliant run in white-ball cricket in January.

On the back of a fine run in ODIs in 2022 and a fruitful Test tour of Bangladesh in December, where he registered his maiden Test hundred, Gill was rewarded with a maiden T20I cap during the three-match home series against Sri Lanka, where he managed scores of 7, 5 and 46. He then aggregated 207 from three ODI innings against the island nation, including 70 and 116 in the first and third game respectively.

His standout knock though came in the first of three ODIs against New Zealand in Hyderabad, where he smashed 208 off 149 on a day when none of his teammates crossed 28, to power India to a match-winning score of 349/8 in what turned out to be a nail-biting thriller.

Gill struck 19 fours and nine sixes in an enterprising knock, getting to the 200-run milestone with three successive maximums off Lockie Ferguson. He became the fifth Indian to register an ODI double-hundred, after Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Rohit Sharma (thrice) and Ishan Kishan.

The 23-year-old rounded off the series with scores of 40* and 112 - the latter being his fourth ODI ton to go with five fifties in 21 innings to date - as India swept the Blackcaps 3-0.

Gill’s aggregate of 360 is the joint-highest ever for anyone in a three-match bilateral ODI series, equalling Babar Azam’s record against the West Indies in 2016-17.

After underwhelming returns in the first two T20Is against New Zealand, Gill smashed a 126* off just 63 deliveries in the third match in Ahmedabad to extend an enviable run. With it, he became the fifth India batter to score a hundred in each of the three international formats, alongside Tendulkar, Rohit, Suresh Raina and Virat Kohli.

Gill is currently a part of the India Test squad for the ongoing four-match home series against Australia, which India leads 1-0 following their innings and 132-run win in the first Test in Nagpur.

ICC

The ICC today revealed the outstanding performers nominated for the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month Awards for February 2023, capturing the thrilling action that played out across international cricket during the month, including in the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2023 and the ICC World Test Championship.

Among the names in contention to claim the February awards is the current ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year, two top-ranked all-rounders, and two Test newcomers.

The three nominees for the ICC Women’s Player of the Month all enjoyed a memorable ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2023 in South Africa.

Ashleigh Gardner won the award back in December and her inspirational all-round form in February earned her the Player of the Tournament prize as Australia claimed a sixth global T20 crown. Nat Sciver-Brunt followed up her recent ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year Award with a string of impressive batting performances, steering England to another World Cup semi-final. Completing the lineup for the Women’s Player of the Month is leading run scorer from the event, Laura Wolvaardt, who thrilled in a series of performances that led South Africa to their maiden T20 World Cup Final.

Forming the candidates on the ICC Men’s Player of the Month shortlist are three prolific performers in the longest format.

Harry Brook continues to thrive in Test cricket, and yet more explosive scoring during England’s series in New Zealand last month earns him another nomination for the award, following his win back in December. Ravindra Jadeja is on the shortlist for the first time after inspiring a dominant start to the series for India in their World Test Championship battle against Australia. The final name in line for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month crown is the West Indies’ spinner Gudakesh Motie, who returned staggering figures in a record-breaking bowling display during their away Test series in Zimbabwe.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced the winners of the ICC Player of the Month awards for February 2023, with Australia’s Ashleigh Gardner named the ICC Women’s Player of the Month, and England’s Harry Brook reclaiming the ICC Men’s Player of the Month.

The outcomes of the ICC Player of the Month Awards for February replicate the results of December 2022, where both claimed their maiden awards following prolific months for their respective teams in short and long formats of the game.

Gardner is crowned the ICC Women’s Player of the Month for February after a series of outstanding performances inspired Australia’s successful defence of their Women’s T20 World Cup crown in South Africa. Taking regular wickets and chipping in with valuable runs throughout, she reinforced her status as the number one ranked T20I all-rounder in the MRF Tyres ICC Women’s Player Rankings, eventually capping a prolific campaign with the Player of the Tournament prize.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month Brook earns his second prize after once more demonstrating his rising stock in international cricket. The free-scoring batter has impressed in all formats, and recent performances in England’s resurgent Test side continue to outline his high potential. Scoring big once more in New Zealand last month, Brook’s brisk and fearless strokeplay was a highlight, entertaining crowds in a dramatic Test series.

Gardner and Brook triumphed following a global vote conducted among media representatives, ICC Hall of Famers, former international players, and fans registered at icc-cricket.com.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month, February 2023 – Ashleigh Gardner

Gardner’s tournament was littered with important contributions, and she excelled from the outset in the thrilling drama that characterised the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup.

In the opening match against a typically dangerous New Zealand side, she produced a dazzling bowling performance, taking five wickets for 12 runs to dismantle the White Ferns’ chase, and restrict them to a modest 76 all out in pursuit of Australia’s 173.

With a total of 10 wickets during the tournament at an average of 12.50, the wicket-taking threat and impressive economy rate of Gardner continued to cause problems for opposing batters, but her contributions extended beyond just her bowling exploits.

Scoring 110 runs across five innings, her most telling contributions with the bat came in the latter stages. Faced with a below-par score in the semi-final, Gardner smashed a valuable 31 in 18 balls to take Australia to 172 for four, enough to keep India at bay and secure victory by five runs. Then, chipping in with a crucial 29 in the Final, and claiming the prized wicket of Marizanne Kapp with the ball, Gardner was named the Player of the Tournament while her and her teammates celebrated another T20 World Cup trophy.

Gardner claims the ICC Women’s Player of the Month from two other stars of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup; England power-hitter Nat Sciver, and South Africa’s talented opener Laura Wolvaardt, who were both nominated for strong campaigns.

On reclaiming the ICC Women’s Player of the Month prize, Gardner commented: “Thank you to everyone who voted me the ICC Women’s Player of the Month. The past month has been ground-breaking for women’s cricket and it’s an exciting time for our sport.

“The T20 World Cup was a brilliant tournament, and playing the hosts South Africa in the Final in front of a packed crowd at Newlands was an incredible experience.

“Our Australian team are fortunate to have a number of world-class players, I’m happy I was able to contribute to our team success over the course of the World Cup.”

Former Zimbabwe international and ICC Player of the Month voting panel member, Pommie Mbangwa added, “In a month where many of her compatriots put up good performances and saw their team rewarded with another title, Ashleigh’s performances came at critical times and essentially ensured that they won a semi-final and the Final.

“She showed herself a player with the temperament for crunch situations which is a wonderful characteristic to possess.”

ICC Men’s Player of the Month, February 2023 – Harry Brook

After winning the ICC Player of the Month back in December for his pioneering approach to Test batting in England’s away series in Pakistan, Brook continued where he left off when arriving in New Zealand in February.

Brook started the series with a fluid 89 in 81 balls, taking apart the familiar threat of the New Zealand bowling attack with aplomb. Following up with another half-century in the second innings, the 24-year-old claimed the Player of the Match award as they secured a thumping 267-run victory at Mount Maunganui.

The second Test in Wellington endured a thrilling climax, and Brook once again starred for England breaking records in the process. Scoring a magnificent 186 in the first innings which included 24 fours and 5 sixes, the young batter’s explosive innings gave England a considerable upper-hand as New Zealand were forced to follow-on. Despite eventually losing the match in dramatic fashion, Brook was named Player of the Series for his 329 runs at an average of 82.25.

Brook overcomes fellow nominees Ravindra Jadeja and Gudakesh Motie to claim his second ICC Men’s Player of the Month, becoming the second player to win the award on two separate occasions along with 2022’s ICC Men’s Cricketer of the Year, Babar Azam of Pakistan.

Reflecting on another ICC Men’s Player of the Month prize, Brook added, “To win this award twice in a matter of months is a real honour. I’d like to thank my teammates and management of the England teams, who have been supportive and back me to play to my strengths.

“It has been a pretty good start to the year and I hope that we can continue to be build on what will be a huge summer and winter for the Men’s teams with an Ashes and aiming to win the 50-over ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup in India in the autumn, which I’m aiming to be part of both squads.”

Three players who produced some stellar performances during March will be vying for the ICC Men's Player of the Month award.

Kane Williamson (New Zealand)

After enduring a bit of a lean phase in Test cricket over the last 24 months, Kane Williamson is well and truly back to doing what he does best for New Zealand – batting long and winning matches of cricket for his country.

In the two-match Test series against Sri Lanka, Williamson recorded a hundred and double-hundred in the three innings he played. The century came in the first Test when New Zealand needed 285 runs to win in the final innings.

On a rain-truncated fifth day, New Zealand required 257 runs from just 52 overs. The equation was down to the Kiwis needing 55 from the last nine overs with seven wickets in hand when a slew of wickets fell. Williamson showed immaculate composure even as they needed eight off the final over.

With five needed from three balls, Williamson struck a four to tie the scores. With the match going into the final delivery, Williamson scampered for a bye and completed a dive to win it for New Zealand in the most dramatic of fashion.

In the next Test, the 32-year-old smashed his sixth double ton, equalling Marvan Atapattu, Virender Sehwag, Javed Miandad, Younis Khan, Ricky Ponting and Sachin Tendulkar in the list of most double hundreds in Test cricket. In a marathon knock that lasted more the six hours, Williamson's 215 helped New Zealand put on 580/4d.

The hosts didn't have to bat again as the bowlers ensured an emphatic victory by an innings and 58 runs despite a second-innings fightback by Sri Lanka.

With 337 runs in two games, Kane Williamson was the standout choice for the Player of the Series award.

Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh)

Bangladesh have become a force to be reckoned with at home and a lot of it has been down to the all-round exploits of experienced all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan.

Shakib was one of the few bright spots for Bangladesh in the three-match ODI series against England, finishing both as the highest run-scorer and wicket-taker for the Tigers. In Bangladesh's only win of the series, Shakib starred with a 71-ball 75 and followed it up with a four-for to take home the Player of the Match in the hosts' 50-run win.

His form carried over to the T20I series, where Bangladesh recorded a historic 3-0 whitewash over the Men's T20 World Champions. Shakib picked up a wicket in each of the three T20Is while finishing the game for his side in the opening match with an unbeaten 24-ball 34.

Shakib was at the top of his game when Ireland came visiting, scoring a match-winning 93 in the first ODI. Later in the second T20I of the series, the 36-year-old smashed a 24-ball 38* and then went to pick up five wickets inside the Powerplay in dominating all-round display.

In the 12 games played in March, Shakib scored 353 runs and scalped 15 wickets.

Asif Khan (UAE)

Asif Khan was in brutal hitting form during the final phase of the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup League 2 and played a key role in keeping UAE in the hunt for a direct Qualifier spot until the very last game.

In UAE's final three games at home, Asif notched up two fifties, both of which came against Nepal. After a quiet start to the series in Nepal, Asif exploded with a 42-ball 101* that was laced with four boundaries and 11 maximums.

Asif khan smashed the fourth-fastest hundred in men's ODIs against Nepal in ICC Cricket World Cup League 2 match.
The hundred grabbed headlines around the world, which was the fastest by an Associate Nation player in ODI cricket history. Despite his incredible feat, he ended up on the losing side as Nepal won by seven runs (by DLS method) in dramatic fashion.

His form carried over to the Qualifier Play-off where he smashed yet another ton, this time of 84 balls against USA.

ICC

A talismanic all-rounder has been named as the ICC Men's Player of the Month for March 2023.

Veteran all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan has been rewarded with the ICC Men's Player of the Month award for his stellar performances in March 2023. Shakib overcame tough competition from Kane Williamson of New Zealand and Asif Khan of UAE to walk away with the coveted prize.

Bangladesh have become a force to be reckoned with at home and a lot of it has been down to the all-round exploits of the experienced all-rounder.

Shakib was one of the few bright spots for Bangladesh during the three-match ODI series against England, finishing both as the highest run-scorer and wicket-taker for the Tigers. In Bangladesh's only win of the series, Shakib starred with a 71-ball 75 and followed it up with a four-for to take home the Player of the Match in the hosts' 50-run win.

His form carried over to the T20I series, where Bangladesh recorded a historic 3-0 whitewash over the reigning Men's T20 World Champions. Shakib picked up a wicket in each of the three T20Is while finishing the game for his side in the opening match with an unbeaten 24-ball 34.

Shakib was at the top of his game when Ireland came visiting, scoring a match-winning 93 in the first ODI. Later in the second T20I of the series, the 36-year-old smashed a 24-ball 38* and then went to pick up five wickets inside the Powerplay in a dominating all-round display.

In the 12 games played in March, Shakib scored 353 runs and scalped 15 wickets.

After winning the award for the second time, Shakib was quick to thank the panel that voted for him ahead of a pair of his contemporaries.

"I am honoured to win the award and would like to thank the expert panellists who have voted for me," Shakib said.

"This is a recognition I greatly value because there are so many special performances in a month from a number of amazing cricketers.

“If I was to pick my highlight from the past month, it has to be the T20 series sweep against England and, with the team continuing to perform beautifully as a unit in all departments, it is easier for me now to concentrate on my role and contribute."

ICC

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced the winners of the ICC Player of the Month awards for March 2023, with Bangladesh’s Shakib Al Hasan scooping the ICC Men’s Player of the Month, and Rwanda’s Henriette Ishimwe named the ICC Women’s Player of the Month.

Both all-rounders edged out their fellow contenders following a vote conducted among a specialist panel – comprising ICC Hall of Famers, former international players, and media representatives – and global cricket fans, who had been voting since the nominees were announced last week.

In claiming the ICC Men’s Player of the Month for March, Shakib wins his second Player of the Month crown after first winning back in July 2021. He triumphs following a string of fine displays with bat and ball, cementing his position at the summit of the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s T20I Player Rankings for all-rounders. As well as an impressive series win over Ireland, Shakib was instrumental in securing an historic 3-0 T20I series victory over touring world champions England.

All-rounder Ishimwe started the year at the heart of the Rwandan team that lit up the inaugural ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup in South Africa. Her breakout tournament included a memorable four wickets in four balls in the win over Zimbabwe, and she carried that form into the Nigeria Cricket Federation (NCF) Women’s T20I Tournament last month. 92 runs and 9 wickets in March, which included another hattrick sees her become only the second female from an Associate Member to win the ICC Player of the Month award.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month, March 2023 – Shakib Al Hasan

With 12 short format games throughout the month, Bangladesh had plenty of game-time in March, and their formidable short-format maestro Shakib was once again a key contributor to their success against England and Ireland.

Opening the month with an ODI series against England, the all-rounder registered two half-centuries, the second of which coming in a familiar scintillating all-round display. A consolation win in Chattogram was inspired by Shakib, first thanks to his 75 in 71 balls and then with the ball as he took four for 35 in ten overs to seal a 50-run win.

In the T20I series that followed, Shakib skippered his side to a decisive 3-0 victory, with valuable runs in the first encounter, and key wickets across all three matches, in a string of impressive team displays characterised by excellent fielding and disciplined bowling.

No fewer than four days separated England’s departure and the first ODI against Ireland, and Shakib once more took up the task with aplomb, top scoring with 93 in 89 balls as Bangladesh comfortably won by 183 runs, setting the tone for another series victory.

His final performances in the month came in the form of three T20Is against Ireland, and Bangladesh sealed the series thanks to another outstanding display from the top-ranked all-rounder. A quickfire 38 from 24 balls rocketed the hosts to 202 for 3 from their 20 overs, before Shakib’s bowling prowess dismantled the Ireland chase with a brilliant five for 22 from his four overs.

Reflecting on another ICC Men’s Player of the Month prize, Shakib added, “I am honoured to win the award and would like to thank the expert panellists who have voted for me. This is a recognition I greatly value because there are so many special performances in a month from a number of amazing cricketers.

“If I was to pick my highlight from the past month, it has to be the T20 series sweep against England and, with the team continuing to perform beautifully as a unit in all departments, it is easier for me now to concentrate on my role and contribute.”

Shakib overcame fellow nominees Asif Khan of UAE and Kane Williamson of New Zealand in the global vote, and former Sri Lanka international Farveez Maharoof elaborated on Shakib’s win, “Shakib gets my vote for his overall contribution to Bangladesh’s success last month, notably beating a top side like England.

“While all three candidates have enjoyed excellent periods, for me he has been the standout player and a deserving Men’s Player of the Month for March.”

ICC Women’s Player of the Month, March 2023 – Henriette Ishimwe

Ishimwe’s blistering start to 2023 at the U19 Women’s T20 World Cup helped her make a name for herself on the world stage, and a little over two months later, she finds herself in the headlines again after enjoying plenty of success in March’s NCF Women’s T20I Tournament in Lagos.

The 20-year-old was the star player in Rwanda’s opening match against Ghana, firstly coming in at number three and smashing a brisk 32 in 22 balls. Defending a healthy total, Ishimwe and her fellow bowlers then took apart the reply, taking wickets at regular intervals and ending with a flourish, as the pacer took another hattrick to end the game and seal a 117-run victory.

Despite a quieter display with the ball in the next match against Sierra Leone, Ishimwe contributed significantly once more by top scoring at the crease and steering her side home in a five-wicket win.

She saved her most complete performance for the third and final fixture in the calendar month against Cameroon. Coming to the crease early on, Ishimwe starred in a 90-run partnership with her namesake Gisele Ishimwe, and her 43 in 33 balls steered her side to a competitive total. Cameroon faltered in their reply, and Ishimwe took advantage – her full, straight pace bowling securing a five-wicket haul for 6 runs conceded, cementing her status as an eye-catching prospect in the women’s game.

Reacting to her award win, Ishimwe commented, “I am humbled and honored to win this award for my performances in the last month.

“I owe this award to the many people who have supported me throughout my journey in cricket. To my coaches, who have invested countless hours into my training and development, to my teammates, who have been my source of inspiration and motivation, and to my family and friends, who have always stood by me, and above all, the almighty God, who has made all this possible.

“I look forward to continuing to contribute to the world of cricket and win more matches for my country.”

Ishimwe emerged victorious in the voting process, beating Sibona Jimmy and Ravini Oa (both PNG), who were shortlisted based on strong performances in the Pacific Island Women’s Cricket Challenge.

Former South Africa international and ICC Player of the Month voting panel member, Ashwell Prince added, “Henriette boasts some incredible statistics from her games in March and it's clear to see that she's a talented prospect in the women's game. In what is a really exciting time for women's cricket, I'm looking forward to seeing how she develops in the years to come."

ICC

The International Cricket Council today revealed the international stars recognised for their outstanding performances in April as the shortlists for the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month Awards were announced.

The nominees for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month encapsulate another dramatic period of international cricket, while the candidates in line for the ICC Women’s Player of the Month award acknowledge some of the top talent emerging onto the global stage.

Among the players honoured on the ICC Men’s Player of the Month shortlist is Mark Chapman of New Zealand, nominated for the very first time following his T20I heroics in the recently drawn series in Pakistan. Sri Lankan spinner Prabath Jayasuriya will be hoping to win his second Player of the Month prize thanks to a prolific month of wicket-taking in his side’s Test series victory against Ireland. The final candidate is Pakistan’s Fakhar Zaman, who earns his first nomination since April 2021 for excelling in the ODI series against New Zealand with two dazzling match-winning centuries.

The ICC Women’s Player of the Month nominees comprise top performers from bilateral series in April, all nominated for the very first time. Thailand’s Naruemol Chaiwai produced a string of fine batting displays as her side recorded a landmark ODI series victory over Zimbabwe. Kavisha Egodage of the UAE enjoyed a prolonged spell of high scores across eight T20I matches during the month. Joining them on the shortlist is Kelis Ndhlovu of Zimbabwe, identified for her wicket-taking threat in ODI and T20I matches in April.

An independent ICC Voting Academy* and fans around the world will now be invited to cast their votes to decide the winners, which will be announced next week. Fans registered at icc-cricket.com/awards will be able to vote for their favourite performers until Saturday.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month Nominees for April:

Mark Chapman (NZ)

While Chapman’s month started in modest fashion, his nomination for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award for April stems from a prolific spell of scoring in the tied T20I series in Pakistan. Top scoring for the tourists in the opening T20I, he then went on to score 256 further runs throughout the series without losing his wicket. Unbeaten scores of 65 and 16 were followed by a blistering 71 from 42 balls in the abandoned fourth fixture. Chapman saved his most emphatic performance until the final match, a scintillating 104 not out from just 57 balls helped drag the visitors over the line in a memorable run chase, securing a tied series.

Prabath Jayasuriya (SL)

Jayasuriya clinched the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award back in July 2022 for his outstanding displays with the spinning ball in the Test arena, and this month sees him nominated once more for a similar feat. The left-armer took ten wickets in the first Test against Ireland at Galle, including seven for 52 in the first innings as the hosts won convincingly. The second Test was equally as decisive for Jayasuriya, with the spinner taking seven wickets across both innings, including another five wicket haul. These exploits helped Jayasuriya become the fastest spinner to reach 50 Test wickets in the history of the game during the course of the second innings, a record achieved in just seven Tests.

Fakhar Zaman (PAK)

Fakhar was another who began the month in quiet fashion, with modest scores in the T20I series against New Zealand. As the ODI series began, he clicked into gear with immediate results. Chasing 289 in the first match, the opener led his team’s response with a barrage of hitting, resulting in a 124-run stand with Imam-ul-Haq, and eventually a 5-wicket victory thanks to his controlled innings of 117 from 114 balls. With an even more imposing target of 337 for victory in the second ODI, Fakhar once again dominated the visiting bowlers, establishing big partnerships at the top of the order on his way to a memorable 180 not out, allowing Pakistan to record their second highest ever successful ODI chase at a canter.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month Nominees for April:

Naruemol Chaiwai (THAI)
The Thailand skipper enjoyed a fruitful spell at the crease in April, most notably in the 3-0 ODI series victory against Zimbabwe on home soil. The wicketkeeper-batter registered two decisive half-centuries in Bangkok, the first coming in the opening match and in controlled fashion, as she steered her side to a competitive total before the bowlers clinched victory. Her second notable score came in the final ODI - a low scoring affair on a challenging surface, Chaiwai came to the crease at 29 for two, but her 52 from 60 balls was enough to secure the sweep for Thailand, as they continue to develop strongly in ODIs.

Kavisha Egodage (UAE)
Playing in eight T20Is during the month, UAE starlet Egodage was a consistent scorer in the Victoria Women’s T20 Series in Uganda, and also the subsequent Women’s T20 Quadrangular Series in Namibia. The 20-year old ended the Victoria Women’s T20 Series as the tournament’s top scorer, and during the month made five consecutive 30-plus contributions on her way to amassing 236 runs in a busy T20I spell.

Kelis Ndhlovu (ZIM)
The 17-year old bowler has made an impressive start to her international career, which included appearances at the ICC U19 Women’s T20 World Cup 2023 in South Africa. Making her ODI debut for Zimbabwe last month, she adapted well against a strong Thailand outfit, taking 10 wickets at an average of 5.80 despite series defeat. Her highlight came in the first showdown in Bangkok, where Ndhlovu picked up five wickets for 22 runs. Following up with three for 17 and two for 19 in the second and third ODIs respectively, Ndhlovu continues to thrive on the international stage.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced the winners of the ICC Player of the Month awards for April 2023.

Fakhar Zaman of Pakistan wins the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award, and Thailand skipper Naruemol Chaiwai secures the ICC Women’s Player of the Month after both produced dominant match-winning performances for their countries in the One-Day International (ODI) format.

Both batters were identified as April’s outstanding performers following a vote conducted among a specialist panel comprising ICC Hall of Famers, former international players, and media representatives, who, in combination with global cricket fans had been voting since the nominees were announced last week.

Fakhar becomes the first Pakistan player to win the monthly accolade since Sidra Ameen in November 2022, and does so on the back of two crucial match-winning centuries in Pakistan’s ODI series success against touring New Zealand.

Following a quiet T20I series, Fakhar was at the forefront of his side’s success in the subsequent ODI showdowns. Chasing 289 in the first match in Rawalpindi, the batter enjoyed a 124-run opening stand with Imam-ul-Haq in a supreme display of control and counter-attacking play, eventually securing a five-wicket win thanks to 117 runs in 114 balls.

Set a mammoth target of 337 in the second ODI at the same venue, Fakhar once again shined in an outstanding display of hitting and partnership building. His memorable, unbeaten 180 in 144 balls was the key contribution as Pakistan recorded their second highest ever successful ODI chase.

Reflecting on his success, Fakhar commented, “It is truly an honour for me to be named ICC Player of the Month for April. This month has been one of the highlights of my career and it was an amazing feeling to play in front of my own people in Lahore, Rawalpindi and Karachi.

“I really enjoyed scoring back-to-back centuries in Rawalpindi, but my favourite was the 180 not out in the second match.

“I hope to continue the momentum leading into the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup, and make Pakistan cricket fans happy and proud with my performances.”

Fakhar overcame fellow nominees Mark Chapman (New Zealand) and Prabath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka) in the global vote, and commenting on his success in April, former Sri Lanka international and member of the voting panel Farveez Maharoof added, “Scoring consecutive centuries against a good team like New Zealand is a tough task. Fakhar not only did that, but he scored big hundreds, and he certainly deserves to be named the ICC Men’s Player of the Month for April.”

Naruemol Chaiwai celebrates winning the ICC Women’s Player of the Month for April following a consistent spell of high scoring across Thailand’s historic ODI series victory against Zimbabwe, which the hosts won 3-0.

The Thai skipper was named Player of the Series for two unbeaten half-centuries en route to the series win. In the opening match, striding to the crease at 21 for four, her valuable 57 not out salvaged a defendable total for the hosts, who were able to then skittle the tourists cheaply for a 78-run victory.

The second of her important contributions came in the final ODI. A low scoring affair on a challenging surface, Chaiwai came to the crease at 29 for two, but her 52 from 60 balls was enough to secure the sweep for Thailand. The performance highlights Chaiwai’s reliable presence in Thailand’s middle order, and her side’s growing confidence in the ODI format.

Elsewhere, Chaiwai also chipped in with 55 runs across the T20I series that followed, her 29 in the second T20I helping her side edge out Zimbabwe in a five-wicket win.

“I am deeply humbled and proud of myself to display performances worthy of the accolade. The recent series was an important series for the team and myself to cement our progression in the ODI arena. Most of all I am deeply heartened by the voices that have identified with my success,” Chaiwai commented.

“I would like to thank my family, friends and followers, near and far, across the globe for this recognition. Once again I am deeply humbled for this recognition and it gives me and Thailand the motivation to progress in the world of cricket."

Chaiwai emerged victorious from Kavisha Egodage of UAE, and Kelis Ndhlovu of Zimbabwe in the voting process, and becomes the first Thai player to be named ICC Player of the Month.

Former Zimbabwe international and ICC Player of the Month voting panel member, Grant Flower added, “Chaiwai demonstrated very good batting skills throughout the month, as well as being a fine tactician, and she led the Thailand team extremely well against a competitive Zimbabwe team.”

ICC

Well done Fakhar.

His modes of dismissal in the last 2 ODIs were disappointing though.

Three star batters are in the running for the ICC Men's Player of the Month award after enjoying successful performances across May.

Babar Azam (Pakistan)

Pakistan’s skipper once again stood up for his country, this time in his team’s home ODI series against New Zealand.

After taking out the first two of five matches in late April, Pakistan went on to finish with two victories in early May to walk away 4-1 series winners.

It was little surprise that the positive results came through Babar’s achievements with the bat.

Babar joined Imam-ul-Haq for a century second-wicket stand on May 3, finishing with 54 off 62 balls, as his side went on to post 287/6. He went on to use six bowlers in his side’s effort in the field, as the tourists were bowled out for 261 in reply.

The skipper stepped up a gear in the next match two days later, claiming Player of the Match honours in his side’s 102-run win to go 4-1 up. Babar compiled 107 (117), his 18th ODI century, helping the hosts to 334/6.

Najmul Hossain Shanto (Bangladesh)

The rise of Najmul Hossain Shanto continued in the past month, with the 24-year-old enjoying another prolific series in the ODI format this time against Ireland.

Put into the No.3 position for the series, Najmul began with a knock of 44, though his innings proved futile as the rain arrived and led to there being no result.

In match two, Najmul’s heroics led to a stunning victory. Chasing 320 in a 45-over affair, Najmul thundered to a maiden century in the format in just 83 balls, finishing with 117 from 93 deliveries with 12 fours and three sixes.

Bangladesh went on to win in the final over of the chase, and Najmul again contributed in match three, making 35 and taking 1/10 with his off-spin in a five-run victory.

Najmul’s effort was rewarded with Player of the Series honours, as Bangladesh finished their successful Super League campaign on a high.

Harry Tector (Ireland)

The 23-year-old starlet continues to prove he is the present and future of Ireland’s team, in spite of the disappointing end to their Super League campaign.

Reaching 21* before the rain came down during the first ODI against Bangladesh in Chelmsford, Tector thundered in the second ODI to smash a career-best 140 from just 113 balls with seven fours and an astonishing 10 sixes.

What made Tector’s achievements all the more impressive was that the No.4 walked out with his team struggling at 16/2 in the 7th over, but had turned the contest around by the time of his dismissal at the end of the 42nd.

Tector and George Dockrell (74* from 47 balls) propelled Ireland to 319 in the 45-over innings, though Bangladesh, largely through fellow nominee Najmul Hossain Shanto, ran away from victory.

The Ireland batter backed up his credentials with a knock of 45 from 48 balls in the third ODI and Bangladesh.

ICC

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced the winners of the ICC Player of the Month awards for May 2023.

In-form batter Harry Tector becomes the first Irish player to win the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award, while teenage sensation Thipatcha Putthawong seals consecutive Women’s Player of the Month awards for Thailand, emulating her skipper Naruemol Chaiwai’s win back in April.

Both players were selected as the standout performers following a vote conducted among a specialist panel comprising ICC Hall of Famers, former international players, and media representatives, and global cricket fans registered at icc-cricket.com, who had been voting since the nominees were announced last week.

Tector has been enjoying a sustained period of good batting form in One Day International (ODI) cricket dating back to July 2022, and his recent run-scoring feats have seen him shoot up to a highest-ever position of seventh spot in the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s ODI batting rankings.

Ireland’s home series against Bangladesh in May marked the conclusion of the ICC Super League, and despite failing to secure the whitewash which would have ensured their qualification for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup in India later this year, Tector once again produced some eye-catching displays of batting.

An unbeaten 21 before the rain intervened in the first outing was followed by Tector’s highlight of the month, a brutal career-best knock of 140 in 113 balls which featured ten sixes and helped Ireland post a formidable total of 319. They were unable to defend the total however, and even in defeat during the final ODI, the Ireland batter contributed strongly with an innings of 45.

The series defeat meant Ireland’s route to the World Cup will need to come via the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Qualifier in Zimbabwe starting in just under a weeks’ time, yet with 206 runs in May, Tector’s form identifies him as a key threat.

“I'm delighted with the Award and would like to thank those who voted for me, however, cricket is a team sport first-and-foremost, so the Award is more a reflection on the performances and progress of the Ireland Men's squad,” Tector commented. “Without the support of Heinrich [Malan], Andrew [Balbirnie] and the dedicated group of coaches and players I work with, I wouldn't have been able to win this Award.

"While Laura [Delany] and Eimear [Richardson] have won the Women's equivalent, this is the first time an Irish player has picked up the Men's Award. While a personal privilege, I believe it won't be too much longer until more Irish players are being recognised this way.

"Thanks to the ICC - but I'm sure you'll understand that this will only be a brief moment of reflection as we have a crucial Qualifier starting in a matter of days, and our focus will be solely on that over the coming weeks."

Tector wins the award from a competitive field which featured Najmul Hossain Shanto of Bangladesh and current holder of the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Men’s Cricketer of the Year, Babar Azam of Pakistan. Like Tector, both enjoyed superb run-scoring form in ODIs in May.

Newly crowned ICC Women’s Player of the Month Thipatcha Putthawong became Thailand’s latest winner of the award following a flurry of impressive bowling figures in her country’s gold-medal winning performance at the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games in Phnom Penh, Cambodia in May.

The left-armer took 11 wickets in four T20Is during the performance period at a staggering average of 1.54, enjoying successive spells of four wickets for three runs, three for three, and three for two against the Philippines, Malaysia and Myanmar respectively in Thailand’s surge to gold.

The 19-year-old reflected, “I am very happy to be recognized as the ICC Women’s Player of the Month. I would like to express my gratitude to the Cricket Association of Thailand for my aiding development and always trusting in my abilities.

“I am very honored to be given the opportunity to represent my country and put in important performances during the SEA Games. I would like to express my appreciation to all the voters that contributed to this prize. I will keep trying to develop myself as a cricketer and hope everyone follows my progression and Thailand's success in the future.”

Putthawong fought off challenges from Chamari Athapaththu and Harshitha Madavi to win this month’s award, and former West Indies international and ICC Player of the Month voting panel member, Stacy Ann King revealed her reasons for voting for her.

King commented, “While she is up against two well-known and recognized names in Chamari and Harshitha, Putthawong’s outstanding figures, totaling 11 wickets with just 17 runs conceded is a majestic achievement by the 19-year-old, and that should be acknowledged.”

The International Cricket Council today revealed the latest crop of international cricket stars celebrated in the shortlists for the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month awards.

July saw dramatic conclusions to the men’s and women’s Ashes series in England, and the key performers from both series feature heavily in the list of names put forward for voting.

The shortlist for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award features three first-time nominees in the ICC Player of the Month awards - two stars of England’s spirited fightback in the memorable conclusion to the men’s Ashes series, and the key figure in the Netherlands’ successful qualifying campaign for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 in India.

England opener Zac Crawley topped the run-scoring charts for the home side, and inspired England’s fightback in the series from the top of the order with a string of notable batting displays. Chris Woakes returned to the side staring down a two-nil series deficit and bowled brilliantly to take important wickets throughout the remainder of the series. Completing the shortlist is the Netherlands’ Bas de Leede, who produced a performance for the ages in the winner-takes-all battle against Scotland at the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Qualifier in Zimbabwe, earning their first Cricket World Cup appearance since 2011 as a result of his heroics.

The ICC Women’s Player of the Month shortlist comprises three highly decorated individuals – a three-time winner of the award, the current holder of the Rachael Heyhoe-Flint Trophy for ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year and the ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Decade crowned back in 2020.

Ashleigh Gardner is no stranger to the ICC Women’s Player of the Month awards, and the Australian aims to win back-to-back awards following another all-round masterclass during July. Ellyse Perry celebrates her first nomination after scoring consistently across all formats throughout the month. The final contender for July’s crown is England’s Nat Sciver-Brunt, 2022’s ICC Women’s Cricketer of the Year, whose excellent form continues to be rewarded after she recorded centuries in each of the last two ODIs to secure the Ashes series draw.

An independent ICC Voting Academy* and fans around the world will now be invited to cast their votes to decide the winners, which will be announced next week. Fans registered at icc-cricket.com/awards will be able to vote for their favourite performers until Saturday.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month Nominees for July:

Zac Crawley (ENG)

Up against a formidable bowling lineup that were recently crowned the ICC World Test Champions, the England opener recorded 412 runs during July at an eye-catching average of 58.85. During the four July Tests, Crawley succeeded not only in nullifying the threat of Australia’s strike bowlers, but also in counter-attacking, personified by his memorable innings of 189 in 182 balls in Manchester. This display, and Crawley’s valuable 73 in the second innings of the decisive fifth Test came as England fought back from two-nil down to draw the series in dramatic fashion.

Bas de Leede (NED)

The Netherlands enjoyed a remarkable run of results during the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Qualifier in Zimbabwe with several notable individual performances littering their route to qualification. The stakes were at their highest in the winner-takes-all showdown against Scotland, and de Leede produced an unforgettable display with bat and ball to secure their passage to India. Taking his maiden five-wicket haul (for 52 runs) to restrict the opposition to 277, de Leede then steered the Dutch reply in perfect fashion under intense pressure with a blistering 123 from 92 balls, ensuring his side pipped Scotland to qualify.

Chris Woakes (ENG)

Returning to the England Test squad for the third Test in Leeds, Woakes was a catalyst for the significant swing in fortunes which saw the home side overturn the 2-0 deficit to claim the series draw. As well as hitting the winning runs in the Leeds Test, the pacer bowled superbly in each of his three outings during July, claiming 19 wickets at an average of 18.15 to be named England’s Player of the Series.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month Nominees for July:

Ashleigh Gardner (AUS)

Last month’s winner of the ICC Women’s Player of the Month aims to become the first player to win back-to-back awards, and does so after another impressive string of displays in the Women’s Ashes in England and the subsequent ODI series against Ireland. Making valuable contributions with the bat, and taking important wickets at regular intervals with the ball, Gardner returned a total of 232 runs and 15 wickets during her 8 ODI and T20I matches in July, highlighting her significant influence in an Australian team packed with individual stars.

Ellyse Perry (AUS)

The Australian all-rounder is nominated for the very first time as one of the contenders for the ICC Women’s Player of the Month thanks to a consistent string of scores in their short format matches against England and Ireland. Amassing 276 runs in four ODI matches against both opponents including two 90-plus scores, Perry averaged 69 in the format during July. In addition, she also scored well in the T20I matches in the Ashes series – 92 runs including a half-century at the Oval.

Nat Sciver-Brunt (ENG)

The current holder of the Rachael Heyhoe-Flint Trophy was once again at the forefront of a stirring set of performances for England during July’s matches. Faced with potential Ashes defeat, Sciver-Brunt produced two supreme performances in the last two ODI encounters. Successive scores of 111 not out and 129 capped a career-defining series, earning her both the Player of the Series accolade, and top spot in the MRF Tyres ICC Women’s ODI Player Rankings for batters.

The Player of the Series from the Ashes, Chris Woakes, is now the ICC Men's Player of the Month for July 2023 after beating off stiff competition from compatriot Zak Crawley and Netherlands' up-and-coming star Bas de Leede.

“It's very nice to have been voted ICC Men’s Player of the Month for July. Everything we did in the Ashes was a team effort, and no individual awards would be possible without everyone else doing their job but it's always nice to be recognised, especially when it's a public vote," said Woakes about the honour.

“It was a great series, and I'm just very happy that it captured the imagination and attention of the public so much. It was great to have so much support and it was a hugely enjoyable series to play in."

Chris Woakes was not a part of the XI for the first two matches and England trailed 2-0 heading into the third Test in Headingley. To stay alive in the series, England needed the incoming players to make an instant impact and Woakes did just that.

In his return to Test cricket after more than a year, Woakes picked up three wickets in each innings, including the big scalps of Marnus Labuschagne and Usman Khawaja. More importantly, he chipped in with a crucial 32* in a thrilling chase where he fittingly hit the winning runs to keep England alive in the series.

Woakes followed up on the heroics with his fifth five-wicket haul in Tests during the first innings of the fourth Test. Unfortunately, rain had the final say in the match with the last day being washed out and the Manchester Test ending in a stalemate.

Woakes finished the series on a high, bagging both the Player of the Match in the final Test at The Oval. Before wreaking havoc with the ball again, the 34-year-old scored a vital run-a-ball 36 in the first innings.

He went on to pick up seven wickets with the ball as England managed to level the series in dramatic fashion.

Despite playing only three matches, Woakes took home the Player of the Series award with 19 wickets at an average of 18.15 to go with an important 79 runs.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today revealed the latest list of names that comprise the nominees for the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month awards.

Following a number of competitive white-ball fixtures that took place during August, five nations are represented among the candidates vying for the accolades as voting commences among the panel and global cricket fans.

The nominees for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award features two stars of Pakistan’s recent One Day International (ODI) success, as well as the Player of the Series in the West Indies’ T20I triumph over India.

As Pakistan continue their preparations ahead of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup in India, skipper Babar Azam enjoyed a fine spell with the bat in August, scoring valuable runs as his side claimed a whitewash series victory over Afghanistan, and posting a three-figure score in their opening Asia Cup fixture. At the other end of the crease, Shadab Khan was also prolific, demonstrating his bowling threat with wicket-taking spells in the same fixtures. Completing the lineup is West Indies’ short format hero Nicholas Pooran, who was named the star man for spearheading his side’s 3-2 T20I series victory against India on home soil.

The shortlist for the ICC Women’s Player of the Month Award features three first-time nominees; a dynamic Malaysian all-rounder, a skilful Irish seamer and a firing Dutch opener.

Ainna Hamizah Hashim was a key figure for Malaysia, chipping in with valuable runs and taking vital wickets against the likes of Kuwait and Nepal, before registering a good performance in their opening fixture in the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup Asia Qualifier. Also on the shortlist is Ireland’s Arlene Kelly, who blitzed the Netherlands batting lineup with a host of wickets in their recent T20I series victory. Providing some resistance for the Dutch was opener Iris Zwilling, who posted half-centuries atop the order against Ireland and Jersey during her successful month.

An independent ICC Voting Academy* and fans around the world will now be invited to cast their votes to decide the winners, which will be announced next week.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month Nominees for August:

Babar Azam (PAK)

While collective success at the upcoming ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup will be in focus, Babar has celebrated several personal accolades in recent months, not least the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Men’s Cricketer of the Year for his performances last year. He now sets his sights on becoming the first men’s cricketer to win three ICC Men’s Player of the Month Awards after scores of 53 and 60 helped secure a 3-0 ODI series victory over Afghanistan, and a mammoth 151 ensured Pakistan routed Nepal in the Asia Cup opener last month.

Shadab Khan (PAK)

Shadab is nominated for the first time in the Player of the Month awards as his notable contributions with bat and ball in August set Pakistan up for success against Afghanistan and Nepal. The first two fixtures against Afghanistan heralded just a solitary wicket, but he clicked in the final fixture, taking three for 42 to secure the whitewash. Like Babar, Shadab then reserved his best display for the last outing in the calendar month, launching their Asia Cup campaign with a spell of four for 27 in the win against Nepal.

Nicholas Pooran (WI)

With 176 runs across his five T20I outings against India which led to a vital 3-2 series victory, Nicholas Pooran is also a strong contender for this month’s prize. Following defeats in the Test and ODI showdowns in the weeks prior, Pooran inspired the West Indies’ resurgence in the shortest format with two forty-plus scores book-ending a match-winning 67 in 40 balls in the second duel in Guyana. For his exploits, Pooran was named Player of the Series, and earns the islanders’ first nomination in the Men’s Player of the Month awards since Gudakesh Motie was shortlisted in February 2023.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month Nominees for August:

Ainna Hamizah Hashim (MAL)

The all-rounder has been a regular fixture in Malaysia’s growth in the T20I format, and thanks to her performances with bat and ball in August, she becomes her country’s first ever nominee in the Player of the Month awards. As well as topping the run-scoring charts, Hamizah Hashim also chipped in with key wickets during the Malaysia Women’s Quadrangular T20I Series and subsequently the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup Asia Qualifier, most notably in winning causes against Kuwait and Nepal. Throughout the month, she recorded 105 runs at an average of 52.50 with six wickets.

Arlene Kelly (IRE)

Kelly enjoyed a prolific month with the ball in August, and orchestrated much of the success that saw Ireland sweep Netherlands 3-0 in Amstelveen. Her ten wickets included a Player of the Match performance in the first T20I thanks to a spell of five wickets for 12 runs. Three for 11 and two for 20 followed in the final two duels, leaving Kelly with a spectacular average of 4.30 from the series. She will hope to follow in the footsteps of Laura Delany, who last won the Women’s Player of the Month prize for Ireland in October 2021.

Iris Zwilling (NED)

With fine performances across series with Ireland and Jersey, young Netherlands’ opener Zwilling is shortlisted for the Women’s Player of the Month awards, following in the footsteps of men’s compatriot Bas de Leede who was nominated in July. Zwilling scored 178 runs from her six outings during the calendar month, registering half-centuries against both opponents from atop the order. Strengthening her claim for the prize is also an impressive strike rate of 102, and economical bowling spells.

Voting Academy for ICC Player of the Month August 2023:

Afghanistan: Hameed Qayoomi and Javed Hamim; Australia: Scott Bailey and Lisa Sthalekar; Bangladesh: Mohammad Sekander Ali and Md Ariful Islam Roney; England: Elizabeth Ammon and Lydia Greenway; Ireland: Ger Siggins and Clare Shillington; India: S Gomesh and Irfan Pathan; New Zealand: Merryn Anderson and Craig Cumming; Pakistan: Sawera Pasha and Sana Mir; South Africa: Zaahier Adams and Ashwell Prince; Sri Lanka: Azzam Ameen and Farveez Maharoof; West Indies: Daren Ganga and Stacy Ann King; Zimbabwe: Daniel Nhakaniso and Grant Flower; Others: Ajit Vijaykumar and Dirk Nannes.

ICC Men's Player of the Month for August 2023 revealed

Babar Azam bagged the ICC Men's Player of the Month for the third time, winning the award for August 2023.

Holding the top spot in the MRF Tyres ICC Men's ODI Player Rankings, Babar Azam continued to impress with his exceptional form last month and has been crowned the ICC Men's Player of the Month for August 2023.

Babar beat teammate Shadab Khan and West Indies hard-hitter Nicholas Pooran to win the award for the third time and the Pakistan captain was thrilled to accept the honour.

"I am delighted to be named ICC Player of the Month for August 2023," Babar said.

"The past month has been extraordinary for my team and I as we have put some terrific performances. With the Asia Cup coming to Pakistan after such a long time, it was great to play in front of the passionate and cricket-loving crowds of Multan and Lahore. That I scored my second ODI score of 150-plus in front of my own people in Multan doubled the joy.

"I am looking forward to making the most of the form as we head into an exciting phase of cricket with the backend of the Asia Cup nearing and the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup around the corner. My team and I are eager to bring joy and happiness to the millions of Pakistan fans."

The Pakistan stalwart had an exceptional month in the Asian sub-continent, excelling in the 50-over format.

In the first ODI against Afghanistan in a bilateral series in Sri Lanka, Babar faced a rare setback, failing to score any runs.

However, he quickly bounced back, displaying his resilience with two consecutive fifties. The highlight came during the second ODI, where the Pakistan captain, alongside Imam-ul-Haq, forged a crucial 118-run partnership, setting the stage for an exciting last-over showdown.

Babar contributed 53 runs in the run-chase, well-supported by Imam's 91 runs and the lower-order batters. Pakistan clinched a nail-biting victory with a single ball and a wicket to spare.

He followed it up with yet another crucial 60, aiding his team in reaching a commendable total of 268/8 in the final ODI. Pakistan's bowlers excelled, securing a comfortable 59-run victory to achieve a clean sweep with a 3-0 series win.

Babar's exceptional form extended beyond the series, as he made a stellar start in the ongoing Asia Cup. In the tournament opener against Nepal, he delivered a stunning performance, scoring 151 runs off 131 balls.

During this innings, the Pakistan skipper achieved a historic milestone, becoming the fastest player in the game's history to reach 19 ODI centuries.

This century marked his 31st century across all formats for Pakistan, placing him on par with legends Javed Miandad and Saeed Anwar. He now stands just behind Younis Khan (41), Mohammad Yousuf (39), and Inzamam-ul-Haq (35) in terms of centuries for Pakistan.

ICC

After Fakhan Zaman's player of the month for April 2023 Babar Azam is the 2nd pakistani player who received this award.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today revealed the latest crop of international stars shortlisted for the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month awards following an action-packed month of cricket in September.

The three-person ICC Men’s Player of the Month shortlist features one of England’s prolific short-format batters and an Indian duo that were instrumental in their trophy-winning Asia Cup campaign last month.

Mohammed Siraj enjoyed a return to the top of the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s ODI rankings for bowlers in late September, and was the chief architect of India’s success in the final with a remarkable bowling display. Joining him on the shortlist is Shubman Gill, hoping to win his second Player of the Month prize after his run-scoring heroics in the Asia Cup continued into the subsequent ODI series against Australia. England’s Dawid Malan completes the lineup, nominated for the first time after a superb showing in the series against New Zealand.

The shortlist for the ICC Women’s Player of the Month Award features a young South African duo that recorded an impressive T20I win in Pakistan, and Sri Lanka’s influential skipper, who led them to a historic T20I series victory in England.

Chamari Athapaththu gains her second Player of the Month nomination after her batting and bowling contributions inspired Sri Lanka’s first-ever series win on English soil. Joining her among the contenders for September’s crown is fellow all-rounder, Nadine de Klerk, whose wickets and runs proved vital to South Africa’s ODI successes against Pakistan and New Zealand, and her compatriot Laura Wolvaardt, who again showed glimpses of her batting brilliance with runs in both T20I and ODI formats against the same opposition.

An independent ICC Voting Academy* and fans around the world will now be invited to cast their votes to decide the winners, which will be announced next week. Fans registered at icc-cricket.com/awards will be able to vote for their favourite performers until Thursday.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month Nominees for September:

Shubman Gill (IND)

The Indian batter has enjoyed a hugely successful 2023 so far, and could potentially be in line to win his second Player of the Month accolade after runs again came flooding in during September. The 24-year-old registered 480 runs at an average of 80 in his eight ODIs during the month, with notable highlights including a stylish century against Bangladesh in Colombo, and 74 and 104 in back-to-back games against Australia.

Dawid Malan (ENG)

The England batter arrived into the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup in sublime form in ODI cricket, scooping the Player of the Series award in the recent victory over New Zealand at home. His scores during the series progressed with each match. After a half-century in the second fixture, he came within a whisker of three figures with 96 at the Oval, before he passed the landmark in the final outing across London at Lord’s. His 277 ODI runs in September came at an average of 92.33.

Mohammed Siraj (IND)

The pacer returned to the summit of the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s ODI bowler rankings in September thanks to a glittering performance to dismantle Sri Lanka in the Asia Cup final in Colombo. Siraj took 11 wickets in total across six ODIs, but his month will be remembered for the memorable way in which he tore into the defending champions, bowling them out for 50 runs, taking six wickets for 21 which included a four-wicket over.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month Nominees for September:

Chamari Athapaththu (SL)

Sri Lanka’s iconic skipper was at the peak of her powers in the T20I series against England in September. After narrowly losing the rain-effected first contest, Athapaththu registered back-to-back Player of the Match performances to clinch their maiden victory over the home side in any format. Her trademark explosive batting and economical bowling helped restrict England to low totals in the second and third matches. A terrific 55 runs in 31 balls in the second match was followed by a match-winning 44 in 28 balls in the decisive encounter, along with three priceless England wickets.

Nadine de Klerk (SA)

The South African all-rounder celebrates her first nomination in the Player of the Month awards after valuable runs and wickets helped claim ODI victories over Pakistan and New Zealand last month. De Klerk chipped in with scores throughout September, only being dismissed once, and scoring 171 runs including successive half-centuries. The Player of the Series against Pakistan also impressed with the ball, recording 13 wickets in her five ODI outings at a superb average of 12.76.

Laura Wolvaardt (SA)

Despite losing the T20I series 3-0 against Pakistan, Wolvaardt was named Player of the Series after amassing 157 runs in her three matches. A quiet ODI series against Pakistan followed before the South African once again rediscovered her form, this time against New Zealand, striking a classy half-century before an unbeaten 124 saw her side confirm the series win and Wolvaardt claim another Player of the Series prize.

ICC

I can't agree with this how can muhammed siraj be nominated and not babar azam when cleary he is the number 1 batsmen in the world

Icc is bcci backwards

I can't agree with this how can muhammed siraj be nominated and not babar azam when cleary he is the number 1 batsmen in the world

Icc is bcci backwards
If I am not wrong Babar Azam was the player of the month last time. Siraj deserves the nomination to be honest.

Icc is bcci backwards
What exactly has babar done in the last month that deserves it? 150 against Nepal and 90 in a warmup with utter failures in between.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today revealed the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month award recipients for September 2023 following an action-packed month of cricket.

India’s talented young batter Shubman Gill wins the ICC Men’s Player of the Month for September after run-scoring feats in his country’s trophy-winning Asia Cup campaign and the subsequent ODI series against Australia, while Sri Lankan icon Chamari Athapaththu claims the ICC Women’s Player of the Month crown after her T20I batting and bowling exploits last month delivered her side’s maiden series win on English soil.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month, Gill has enjoyed a whirlwind run of form in 2023 which has seen him surge up the MRF Tyres ICC Men’s ODI batting rankings, and now lies within touching distance of the August Player of the Month winner, Pakistan’s Babar Azam.

Runs flooded in for the 24-year-old in ODI cricket in September. He started the month with half-centuries against Nepal and Pakistan before passing three figures in stylish fashion against Bangladesh in Colombo en-route to the final. Chasing down 51 to win the low-scoring finale, Gill remained at the crease to see his side over the line.

Following the conclusion of the Asia Cup, Gill once again shone in the subsequent series against Australia, bagging 74 runs in Mohali and 104 in Indore at more than a run-a-ball.

His 480 runs during the calendar month came at an average of 80, and a strike rate of 99.37.

Reacting to his award win, Gill said, “I am delighted to have won the ICC Player of the Month award for the month of September. It's a great privilege to represent India at the international level and contribute towards the team's cause. This award will further motivate me to continue to seek excellence and make the country proud.

“I managed to make a handy contribution towards the team which had the fortune of winning the Asia Cup 2023 and then, follow it up with an ODI series win against Australia in September. I take this opportunity to thank all my teammates, family and the coaches, without whom this achievement would not have been possible."

Gill claims his second Player of the Month prize for 2023 after overcoming compatriot Mohammed Siraj, and England’s Dawid Malan, both of whom displayed outstanding form in shorter formats of the international game ahead of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month, Chamari Athapaththu has been a consistent performer on the world stage for Sri Lanka over a number of years, but her performances in September hit new heights, earning her first Player of the Month award, as well as a historic series victory over England in T20Is.

The Sri Lanka skipper led from the front to secure her side’s maiden series victory in any format on English soil in September, overcoming defeat in the first outing to secure a 2-1 win.

After narrowly losing the rain-effected first contest, Athapaththu spearheaded the response in the second fixture in Chelmsford. She opened the bowling and restricted England to 104 thanks to economical figures of one for 11 in three overs. In pursuit of the low target, her trademark explosive batting was on show as she raced to 55 from 31 balls in the eight-wicket win.

Staring down a historic victory, Athapaththu once again delivered. Three wickets for 21 runs limited the hosts to a modest score of 116, before she steered her side across the line in a seven-wicket win with a priceless 44 runs in 28 balls atop the order.

Athapaththu commented, “I am extremely happy to be named ICC Women’s Player of the Month, a recognition I consider not only owned by me, but by our entire team, as without them, I would not have been able to perform to my strengths.

"This award will definitely be a boost for me, my teammates, and our fans, who have been with the team throughout, giving their fullest support, and also be an encouragement for our young cricketers, thus showing them the path.”

Athapaththu wins the accolade edging out fellow nominees, South African duo Nadine de Klerk and Laura Wolvaardt, who impressed in series against Pakistan and New Zealand.

ICC

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today revealed the latest group of international superstars in contention to win the ICC Player of the Month awards following an action-packed month of cricket in October.

The ICC Men’s Player of the Month shortlist celebrates three of the top performers from October’s group stage fixtures at the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.

Jasprit Bumrah was at his destructive best with the ball in the opening exchanges at CWC23, taking a host of important wickets to inspire much of India’s unbeaten start to the campaign. Quinton de Kock piled on the runs atop the order for South Africa, registering three century scores during the Proteas blistering start to the tournament. Completing the lineup is Rachin Ravindra, who has shone in his debut World Cup appearance for New Zealand with classy hundreds against England and Australia.

Three modern day icons of the women’s game comprise the shortlist for the ICC Women’s Player of the Month for October.

Bangladesh left arm spinner Nahida Akter is nominated for the award after producing a trio of wicket-taking performances as her side claimed a see-saw T20I series against a touring Pakistan side. Amelia Kerr scored runs freely during October, contributing strongly in both ODI and T20I contests against South Africa. Finally, West Indies’ all-rounder Hayley Matthews is nominated following notable white-ball heroics in the competitive series in Australia.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month Nominees for October:

Jasprit Bumrah (IND)

India’s frontline pacer was at the heart of India’s exceptional bowling displays as they began their campaign in the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup in destructive style. He started his campaign with an impressive two for 35 against Australia at Chennai, before blitzing Afghanistan with four wickets for 39 runs in Delhi. This continued in spectacular fashion, with the seamer taking two for 19 in a Player of the Match display against rivals Pakistan in Ahmedabad which included the prized wicket of Mohammad Rizwan with a brilliant slower ball. In all, Bumrah took 14 wickets at an average of 15.07 during October, also boasting a staggering economy of 3.91.

Quinton de Kock (SA)

The South African opening batter has already announced his retirement from ODI cricket at the end of the Cricket World Cup, but his impact remained as significant as ever during the Proteas’ impressive start to CWC23 in October. Back-to-back centuries against Sri Lanka and Australia opened his account for the tournament, and while he failed in subsequent outings against Netherlands and England, he smashed 174 against Bangladesh to restore his form. De Kock’s nomination for Player of the Month is his first since June 2021, and he has a strong case, with 431 runs at an average of 71.83.

Rachin Ravindra (NZ)

Having played in only 12 ODIs prior to the start of the tournament, it can be said that Ravindra’s lightning start to CWC23 took some by surprise, but the 23-year-old immediately grabbed the headlines with 123 in 96 balls as New Zealand secured a nine-wicket opening day victory over defending champions England. Ravindra followed this superb display up with half-centuries against Netherlands (51) and India (75), before a glittering 116 against Australia capped his memorable month. He celebrates his first nomination after notching a total of 406 runs at an average of 81.20 in October.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month Nominees for October:

Nahida Akter (BAN)

Akter celebrates her first nomination in the Women’s Player of the Month awards since November 2021, when she lost out to fellow nominee Hayley Matthews. This time around, Akter seals her spot on the shortlist for her fine bowling displays against Pakistan in Chattogram. The first contest was Akter’s highlight, taking five wickets for eight runs including the dangerous Muneeba Ali and Sidra Ameen to seal a close five-wicket victory. Two wickets in the second game and one in the last match earned her the Player of the Series crown, and a chance to win her inaugural ICC Player of the Month award.

Amelia Kerr (NZ)

The White Ferns’ influential all-rounder enjoyed another fruitful month owing to several key contributions in the ODI and T20I series in South Africa. She started the month with a century in the final outing of the ODI series before two half-centuries (70* and 61) in the only completed T20Is in Benoni ensured a Player of the Series accolade. With 134 runs in the T20I series at an average of 67 and a strike rate of 135.35, it means she stands in line to win her first Player of the Month crown since February 2022.

Hayley Matthews (WI)

Matthews was last shortlisted for the ICC Women’s Player of the Month crown in June this year, and her latest nomination comes after a blistering display of run-scoring as the West Indies valiantly fell short in October’s T20I series in Australia. The top-ranked all-rounder in the MRF Tyres ICC Women’s T20I Player Rankings consistently thwarted the reigning world champions with power-hitting and key wickets on her way to the Player of the Series award. Amassing 310 runs and five wickets in the T20I series, the skipper’s highlight came in the second game, scoring 132 in just 64 balls after a bowling spell of 3 for 36.

ICC​

New Zealand young gun Rachin Ravindra has capped off a sensational maiden ICC Men's Cricket World Cup in India by claiming the ICC Men's Player of the Month award for October 2023.

Ravindra edged out India pace spearhead Jasprit Bumrah and South Africa opener Quinton de Kock for the prized award on the back of his sizzling start to the ongoing Cricket World Cup.

The 23-year-old Ravindra hit an unbeaten 123 against England in the tournament opener and then added another century later in the month when registering an equally impressive knock of 116 against Australia.

In total Ravindra amassed 406 runs at an average of 81.20 through New Zealand's first six games at the World Cup to help put the Kiwis on the brink of a semi-final berth at the tournament.

"I'm very grateful to win this award," Ravindra said from India.

"It's been a special month personally and for the team. Being able to play a World Cup in India has been incredibly special."

While Ravindra remains among the leaders for most runs scored at the World Cup, the young left-hander heaped praise on his teammates for allowing him to flourish at the top of New Zealand's batting order.

"Being backed by the team helps a lot, being able to go out there with a lot of freedom, and play your natural game," Ravindra added.

"The lucky thing is the wickets have been really nice to bat on, suits my game in terms of being positive and taking the game on."

ICC

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has today named the shortlists of contenders in line for the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month awards from November’s international contests.

The ICC Men’s Player of the Month shortlist features two of Australia’s key performers as they secured their sixth Men’s Cricket World Cup crown, and one of India’s record-breaking strike bowlers.

Travis Head wrote himself into World Cup legend during November courtesy of two match-winning performances in the semi-final and final of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup to earn his first nomination since June. Similarly, Glenn Maxwell grabbed the headlines with an unforgettable innings to seal qualification through to the knockout stages. Completing the lineup of nominees is India’s Mohammed Shami, whose inspired bowling performances saw India blitz their opponents on the way to the final.

Three figures from the see-saw battle between Bangladesh and Pakistan comprise the shortlist for the ICC Women’s Player of the Month for November.

Bangladesh left arm spinner Nahida Akter celebrates her second successive nomination for the Women’s Player of the Month after more wicket-taking heroics in her side’s ODI series triumph against Pakistan. Compatriot Fargana Hoque joins her on the shortlist after starring with the bat, notching valuable runs in the second and third encounters. The final name on the list is Pakistan’s Sadia Iqbal, nominated for the first time thanks to her economical spells and an impressive performance in the first match.

ICC​

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today revealed the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month award winners for November 2023 after shortlists were announced on Thursday last week.

Australia’s Travis Head is crowned the ICC Men’s Player of the Month for November after orchestrating their memorable march to Cricket World Cup glory with Player of the Match contributions in both the semi-final win over South Africa, and the blockbuster final victory over India in Ahmedabad.

Spin maestro Nahida Akter lost out in October’s voting, but clinches the ICC Women’s Player of the Month award for November for her wicket-taking exploits during last month’s competitive ODI series victory over Pakistan on home soil.

Head was nominated for his first ICC Men’s Player of the Month award back in June 2023 for his role as chief architect in Australia’s ICC World Test Championship Final victory over India. He goes one better this month, winning the award after two remarkable performances in the knockout stages inspired their sixth Men’s Cricket World Cup title.

South Africa were the first opponents to be undone by Head’s brilliance in the semi-final showdown in Kolkata. Bowling first, the spinner removed the dangerous Heinrich Klaasen and Marco Jansen in consecutive balls, limiting the Proteas score to a modest 212. With bat in hand, the opener then set a brisk pace in response, and top scored with 62 from 48 balls as Australia chased down the target with three wickets in hand.

His crowning glory however came in the final triumph over India. An economical bowling display and a phenomenal running catch in the outfield to dismiss Rohit Sharma preceded an outstanding performance with the bat that clinched the silverware.

With 241 set for victory, Head cemented his growing reputation as a player for the big occasion by hitting a sparkling 137 in 120 balls to see Australia overcome the tournament hosts.

Reacting to his award win, Head commented, “It’s been an incredible 12 months for the team which it has been a real privilege to be a part of. The way we have navigated a home summer, away trips to India, England, South Africa, India and the World Cup has been great credit to Pat, the players and the staff.

“I was fortunate that they kept the faith in me for the World Cup after breaking my hand, so it was a great opportunity for me to pay them back. I felt the World Cup was amongst the best I have ever batted, so maybe having a rest before every campaign is the key.

“It’s a great honour to be recognised with this award, but it is a team effort. Without my team-mates across all formats this wouldn’t have happened; so these types of awards are as much for them as they are for me.”

Nahida Akter also celebrates her maiden Player of the Month crown after tearing through opposition batters in her side’s closely fought victory over Pakistan in Mirpur last month.

The first ODI encounter of the series saw Akter claim three wickets for 30 with a consistent spell of pressure bowling. With Pakistan chasing down a lowly 82 for victory, the spinner kept the contest competitive, claiming the wickets of Sidra Ameen, Bismah Maroof and Aliya Riaz to trouble the tourists in their charge to victory.

A quieter second match followed before Akter once more starred in the decisive third fixture. A superb economical 10-over spell produced three wickets for 26 runs as the tourists stumbled to 166 for nine in their 50 overs, laying the foundations for Akter’s teammates to seal the series with the bat in a seven-wicket victory.

Akter claimed the Player of the Series accolade after having taken seven wickets at an impressive average of 14.14 across the three matches.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month, Akter said, “This is a moment to cherish. To be recognised by such a distinguished panel of cricket experts means a lot and winning the ICC Women Player of the Month award will be a massive source of inspiration and motivation for me.

“We have played some amazing cricket in recent months and I am so happy to have contributed to the successes we have tasted as a team. I must thank my captain, coaches and teammates for always believing in me and that has allowed me to play my natural game against quality opponents and perform under pressure.”

Head and Akter emerged victorious from a process which gathered votes from global fans registered at icc-cricket.com and a specialist panel comprising ICC Hall of Famers, former international players, and media representatives.

Head overcame fellow World Cup winner Glenn Maxwell and record-breaking Indian bowler Mohammed Shami to claim the November crown, while Akter wins from two other stars of the same series, compatriot Fargana Hoque and Pakistan’s Sadia Iqbal.

ICC Men's Player of the Month nominees for December 2023 unveiled

A marvellous fast bowler-captain, a splendid spinner and an outstanding all-rounder feature in the shortlist for the ICC Men's Player of the Month for December 2023
Vote for the ICC Men's Player of the Month for December 2023

Pat Cummins (Australia)

The Australian skipper had a blockbuster 2023 by winning the ICC World Test Championship, ICC Men's Cricket World Cup and retaining the Ashes. As the universe would have it, Cummins signed off from the year with a sensational performance in the last month as a captain and bowler.

Hosting Pakistan for a Test series, the fast bowler had a decent start as he picked up three wickets in the opening match while leading them to a win. But it was in the Boxing Day Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) where Cummins unleashed himself.

Pat Cummins: Australia's pace menace
Defending 317 in the final innings, Australia found themselves in a tense situation with Pakistan cruising at 110/2. Cummins brought himself back to remove his counterpart, Shan Masood, for 60 after which Australia regained command.

From there on, Cummins shut down any resistance from Pakistan batters, bundling them out for 237.

Against a spirited Pakistan looking to fight back, Cummins delivered a heroic performance with a five-for in each innings (5/48 & 5/49) while reaching 250 Test wickets, winning the Player of the Match award and securing the series win that would ultimately lead to Australia becoming No.1 in Tests again.

Taijul Islam (Bangladesh)

New Zealand arrived in Bangladesh with an untarnished record in Tests in the country. Taijul was soon to change that with his left-arm spin.

The first Test of the two-match series witnessed both sides pulling the tug with equal strength. Mahmudul Hasan Joy's 86 was matched by Kane Williamson's hundred while Taijul's 4/109 cancelled Glenn Phillips' four-for in the first innings.

Najmul Hossain Shanto's century helped Bangladesh set a total of 338 for New Zealand to chase in the final innings. Taijul ultimately proved to be the difference maker between the two teams as he grabbed a scintillating 6/75 to help Bangladesh close a win by 150 runs.

Taijul's brilliance against New Zealand continued in the second Test as he plucked five more wickets albeit in a losing cause.

The series ended with milestones aplenty for Taijul. He took his team to a historic win at home against New Zealand, clinched the Player of the Match award in the first game and was named Player of the Series for picking the most wickets (15).

Glenn Phillips (New Zealand)

Renowned primarily for his batting blitz and wicketkeeping, Phillips was able to showcase his strength as a spinner against Bangladesh in Tests to go with it.

In the first match against Bangladesh, the all-rounder snared five wickets in the Test and played a handy knock of 42 off 62. Phillips recognised there was more to be done as the Blackcaps lost the opening bout.

During the second Test, Phillips displayed his resolve as a player. In the first innings in Mirpur, Phillips took 3/31 to restrict Bangladesh to 172. However, New Zealand encountered trouble while trailing as they lost half their side for 46 as Phillips arrived at the crease.

New Zealand’s natural entertainer Glenn Phillips | T20WC 2022
Glenn Phillips is one of the key players for New Zealand at the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2022.

Still, a long way to go, Phillips led the rescue mission with a standout knock of 87 off just 72 balls to bring New Zealand at level with Bangladesh.

The hosts then set a target of 137 for the Kiwis which proved more than challenging on the surface. New Zealand again found themselves in a corner with wickets constantly falling. With six down for 69, Phillips once more showed maturity with the bat in hand and played a match-winning knock of 40* in a partnership with Mitchell Santner (35*).

His exploits in the second Test earned him the Player of the Match award as he finished the series as New Zealand's top run-scorer (181 runs at 60.33).

Source : ICC

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today revealed the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month award winners for December 2023 after shortlists were announced last week.

Australia captain Pat Cummins caps a spectacular 2023 with the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award for December, following a supreme bowling performance in his side’s victorious Test series against Pakistan.

Deepti Sharma wins her first ICC Women’s Player of the Month prize after batting and bowling brilliance in all three formats secured notable victories for India over strong opposition in England and Australia.

Cummins was at the forefront of Australia’s Test success over Pakistan in December, demonstrating the leadership and bowling prowess which personified Australia’s surge to success in 2023, winning their maiden World Test Championship mace, and their sixth Men’s Cricket World Cup crown earlier in the year.

The highlight of another spectacular month for Cummins came in the side’s second Test victory over Pakistan in Melbourne. The pacer took ten wickets in the match, which included an inspiring spell as the match approach a nervy climax.

His five for 48 in the second innings included the prized wicket of a well-set Mohammed Rizwan – Cummins’ 250th in the longest format – ensuring Australia snatched victory in dramatic fashion.

Cummins is nominated for the top men’s award in the ICC Awards 2023 for his performances during the calendar year – the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy – and will be hoping to add to his collection of personal accolades following a fine year in all formats.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month for December, Pat Cummins commented, “It’s been a great year for the group across all formats and to cap it off with a strong performance against a challenging Pakistan side was a nice way to finish 2023.

“Overall we are very pleased with the summer so far and looking ahead to the West Indies and New Zealand series.”

Deepti Sharma claims her first ICC Women’s Player of the Month on the back of a series of fine individual performances for India across the three formats in December.

The all-rounder started the month in subdued fashion in the T20I encounters against England, before owning the stage in the first Test against England in Mumbai.

Striking 67 with the bat in the first innings, contributing to a mammoth first innings total, the off-spinner then flourished with the ball, taking five key wickets to skittle the tourists in the first innings and four in the second, to finish with staggering match figures of nine for 39 and claim the Player of the Match award.

Sharma continued this run in the following Test triumph against Australia, top-scoring with a crucial 78 runs in the middle order as India won by eight wickets.

The subsequent ODI matches against Australia also provided plenty of highlights for Sharma, including figures of five for 38 in the second encounter as India fell agonisingly short of victory.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month for December, Deepti Sharma said, “It’s an honour to be voted the ICC Women’s Player of the Month for December. I feel very good about my game at the moment and I’m glad that reflected in my performances for India last month against strong opponents. I’ll continue to work hard so that I can have more moments like this in the future.

“I’m grateful to have been chosen for this award and the fact that fans around the world also voted for me makes it extra special. I want to thank them and my teammates for helping me win this award.”

Cummins and Sharma emerged victorious following votes gathered from global fans registered at icc-cricket.com and a specialist panel comprising ICC Hall of Famers, former international players, and media representatives.

Cummins overcame fellow Test stars Taijul Islam of Bangladesh and Glenn Phillips of New Zealand to claim the December prize, while Sharma wins from teammate Jemimah Rodrigues and Zimbabwe’s Precious Marange.

ICC​

ICC Men's Player of the Month nominees for January named

A West Indies quick that burst onto the international cricket scene in style, an unsung hero of England's strong top-order and a consistent pacer from Australia have made the shortlist for the ICC Men's Player of the Month Award for January 2024.

Shamar Joseph (West Indies)

The right-armer made quite the impression during his introduction to Test cricket as he claimed the prized wicket of Australia batter Steve Smith with his very first delivery.

Joseph picked up another four Australia wickets on his way to sensational figures of 5-94 on debut in Adelaide and backed up this effort with decent scores of 36 and 15 coming into bat for his side at No.11.

Somehow Joseph produced an even better performance during the West Indies' upset victory over Australia in the second Test in Brisbane as he produced a spell for the ages to collect figures of 7-68 that helped the Caribbean side to their first Test triumph in Australia since 1997.

Through two Tests Joseph has collated 57 runs at a decent batting clip of 28.50, having also taken 13 wickets at an imposing average of 17.30.

Ollie Pope (England)

The underrated right-hander produced a knock of the highest class as he amassed a magnificent 196 for England during the second innings of their upset victory over India in Hyderabad.

Pope managed just one during the first innings as India dominated the opening exchanges and the hosts were still in control when the England No.3 strode to the crease just before lunch on the third day of an enthralling contest.

While wickets continued to fall at the other end, Pope was unmovable as he amassed his highest Test score away from home and the fourth largest Test innings by an England men's player in India.

Pope was the last player out as England set India 231 for victory and a seven-wicket haul from debutant Tom Hartley ensured a memorable Test victory for the tourists.

Josh Hazlewood (Australia)

The ever-reliable Australia was at his consistent best during ICC World Test Championship action in January as he collected a total of 19 wickets at a miserly average of just 11.63.

Hazlewood's month commenced when he helped Australia clinch a 3-0 series sweep over Pakistan with a four-wicket haul in the second innings at the SCG and the right-armer backed up that effort with nine wickets for the match in total as the reigning World Test Championship winners eased past the West Indies in Adelaide.

Another five wickets followed for Hazlewood in the second Test against the Caribbean side at the Gabba, capping off an excellent month of January for the experienced Australian seamer.

ICC

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has revealed the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month award winners for January 2024 after shortlists were announced last week.

Shamar Joseph celebrates a maiden ICC Men’s Player of the Month crown after making a sensational debut for the West Indies in their dramatic Test series in Australia.

Amy Hunter is named the ICC Women’s Player of the Month thanks to her rapid run-scoring feats in Ireland’s T20I series victory over Zimbabwe last month.

Men’s Player of the Month Joseph enjoyed a stellar start to his West Indies career. Brought into the side for their Test series against Australia, the 24-year-old made an instant impact, removing Steve Smith with his first ball in international cricket.

His first outing in Test cricket saw him claim five wickets in the first innings in Adelaide, taking the prized wickets of Marnus Labuschagne and Cameron Green as well as Smith, but it will be his efforts in the second Test in Brisbane which will long be remembered.

Defending a modest 216 to prevent an Australian victory in the second innings, Joseph produced an unforgettable display of fast bowling, taking seven for 68 – four of which were bowled – to skittle the home side out in dramatic fashion eight runs short of the target.

The win saw the West Indies claim a historic 1-1 draw, with Joseph sealing the Player of the Series award for his impressive debut. This latest accolade means he is the first West Indian to win the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award since its inception in January 2021.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month for January, Shamar Joseph, said, “I am extremely delighted to win this award. To get such an award on the world stage feels special. I totally enjoyed every moment of that experience playing for West Indies in Australia, especially the magic of the final day at the Gabba. Taking the wicket to win the match was a dream!

“It was a truly memorable moment for me, and I just want to continue to work hard and deliver more match-winning performances for the West Indies with the ball; and when required also with the bat.

“I want to say special thanks to the teammates and support staff in Australia who backed me from the start to get the job done. I will be the one receiving the award, but this is also for the team, and all the fans in the West Indies as well.”

ICC Women’s Player of the Month Amy Hunter is another of the young talents lighting up the international stage, and she celebrates her maiden award on the back of significant scores with the bat as Ireland won decisively in Zimbabwe last month.

After a subdued ODI series to start the month, Hunter followed up with an explosive series of knocks in the T20I series in Harare.

The first T20I match saw the 18-year-old wicketkeeper-batter smash a glittering 101 not out in just 66 balls from atop the order as the away side won by 57 runs. Hunter hit a further 77 and 42 runs in the second and third outings respectively as Ireland comfortably secured the series win away from home.

Across her three T20Is during the month, her 220 runs came at an impressive strike rate of 144.73, helping her become the first Ireland player to win the ICC Women’s Player of the Month award since Arlene Kelly won back in August 2023.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month for January, Amy Hunter said, “It’s an honour to win the ICC Women’s Player of the Month award for January. To be on a shortlist alongside two of the world’s best is something that I am immensely proud of.

“It’s been an amazing start to the year, with two convincing series wins against Zimbabwe. I am pleased to have been able to contribute to the team’s success and hope to continue to do so.”

Joseph and Hunter win their awards following votes gathered from global fans registered at icc-cricket.com and a specialist panel comprising ICC Hall of Famers, former international players, and media representatives.

Joseph overcame other top performers in Tests during the month: England’s Ollie Pope and Australia’s Josh Hazlewood, while Hunter wins from the Australian duo of Alyssa Healy and Beth Rooney.

Source: ICC

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has revealed the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month award winners for January 2024 after shortlists were announced last week.

Shamar Joseph celebrates a maiden ICC Men’s Player of the Month crown after making a sensational debut for the West Indies in their dramatic Test series in Australia.

Amy Hunter is named the ICC Women’s Player of the Month thanks to her rapid run-scoring feats in Ireland’s T20I series victory over Zimbabwe last month.

Men’s Player of the Month Joseph enjoyed a stellar start to his West Indies career. Brought into the side for their Test series against Australia, the 24-year-old made an instant impact, removing Steve Smith with his first ball in international cricket.

His first outing in Test cricket saw him claim five wickets in the first innings in Adelaide, taking the prized wickets of Marnus Labuschagne and Cameron Green as well as Smith, but it will be his efforts in the second Test in Brisbane which will long be remembered.

Defending a modest 216 to prevent an Australian victory in the second innings, Joseph produced an unforgettable display of fast bowling, taking seven for 68 – four of which were bowled – to skittle the home side out in dramatic fashion eight runs short of the target.

The win saw the West Indies claim a historic 1-1 draw, with Joseph sealing the Player of the Series award for his impressive debut. This latest accolade means he is the first West Indian to win the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award since its inception in January 2021.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month for January, Shamar Joseph, said, “I am extremely delighted to win this award. To get such an award on the world stage feels special. I totally enjoyed every moment of that experience playing for West Indies in Australia, especially the magic of the final day at the Gabba. Taking the wicket to win the match was a dream!

“It was a truly memorable moment for me, and I just want to continue to work hard and deliver more match-winning performances for the West Indies with the ball; and when required also with the bat.

“I want to say special thanks to the teammates and support staff in Australia who backed me from the start to get the job done. I will be the one receiving the award, but this is also for the team, and all the fans in the West Indies as well.”

ICC Women’s Player of the Month Amy Hunter is another of the young talents lighting up the international stage, and she celebrates her maiden award on the back of significant scores with the bat as Ireland won decisively in Zimbabwe last month.

After a subdued ODI series to start the month, Hunter followed up with an explosive series of knocks in the T20I series in Harare.

The first T20I match saw the 18-year-old wicketkeeper-batter smash a glittering 101 not out in just 66 balls from atop the order as the away side won by 57 runs. Hunter hit a further 77 and 42 runs in the second and third outings respectively as Ireland comfortably secured the series win away from home.

Across her three T20Is during the month, her 220 runs came at an impressive strike rate of 144.73, helping her become the first Ireland player to win the ICC Women’s Player of the Month award since Arlene Kelly won back in August 2023.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month for January, Amy Hunter said, “It’s an honour to win the ICC Women’s Player of the Month award for January. To be on a shortlist alongside two of the world’s best is something that I am immensely proud of.

“It’s been an amazing start to the year, with two convincing series wins against Zimbabwe. I am pleased to have been able to contribute to the team’s success and hope to continue to do so.”

Joseph and Hunter win their awards following votes gathered from global fans registered at icc-cricket.com and a specialist panel comprising ICC Hall of Famers, former international players, and media representatives.

Joseph overcame other top performers in Tests during the month: England’s Ollie Pope and Australia’s Josh Hazlewood, while Hunter wins from the Australian duo of Alyssa Healy and Beth Rooney.

A very apt selection. Shamar richly deserves it, hope he does not get fizzled out eventually.

My pick is Jaiswal
=====
ICC Men's Player of the Month nominees for February 2024 named

Three top-order batters from India, Sri Lanka and New Zealand have made the shortlist for the ICC Men's Player of the Month Award for February 2024.​

Kane Williamson (New Zealand)
Kane Williamson played a pivotal role in New Zealand’s first-ever Test series victory over South Africa. The New Zealand veteran slammed two hundreds in the first Test in Mount Maunganui, and then made 133* to help his team chase down a tricky fourth-innings target in Hamilton to ensure the series victory.
This was Williamson’s first instance of scoring two hundreds in a Test match. The impactful series he had ensured that New Zealand would climb up the ICC World Test Championship table, finishing in second position at the end of February with three wins in five Tests.

It was in Hamilton, though, that Williamson reserved his best for with the team in trouble. Chasing 267, Williamson walked in at No.3 and struck a 133*, laced with 12 fours and two sixes to guide the Black Caps to a whitewash 2-0 series victory.

The chase orchestrated by Williamson was the fourth-highest successful chase in New Zealand by the Black Caps and the fifth-highest overall. Williamson also notched his 32nd Test ton, now the highest among active players. He also claimed the title of the quickest to 32 Test centuries by innings, bettering Steve Smith who accomplished the feat in 174 innings.

Yashasvi Jaiswal (India)
With back-to-back double centuries in the month, Yashasvi Jaiswal is a strong contender for the ICC Men's Player of the Month for February 2024. Jaiswal was in top form against England, slamming 2019 in Vizag in the first innings of the second Test and then going on to make a second innings double century in the next Test in Rajkot to help India take a lead in the series.

Jaiswal’s knocks helped India fight back from a loss in the first Test of the series. The left-handed opener also rose to the top of the leading run-scorer list in the ICC World Test Championship 2023-25 cycle.

Jaiswal created several records in February, and equalled the long-standing Test record for most sixes in a Test innings (12) during his Rajkot knock. The back-to-back double hundreds at the age of 22 years and 49 days made him the third youngest batter in the world to record two double centuries in Tests after Sir Donald Bradman and Vinod Kambli.

Jaiswal ended February with astounding numbers in the three Tests he featured in — 560 runs at an average of 112 including 20 sixes.

Batting highlights as Pathum Nissanka hit seven fours and two towering sixes in his knock for Sri Lanka against England at the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023.

Pathum Nissanka (Sri Lanka)
Pathum Nissanka is a top contender for the ICC Men's Player of the Month for February 2024 after he slammed the first ever double century in ODIs by a Sri Lankan. The 25-year-old blasted 210* off just 139 balls against Afghanistan in Pallekele and then went on to end the series with another terrific hundred (118 off 101 balls).

Nissanka beat Sanath Jayasuriya's 24-year-old record for the highest score by a Sri Lankan in ODIs.
Jayasuriya had scored 189 against India in Sharjah in 2000. In the last 18 overs, Nissanka slammed 110 runs. He took merely 48 balls to reach his double ton after crossing his century, smashing 20 fours and eight sixes.
Nissanka carried the form into the T20Is, smashing 25 off 11 to give a riveting start in the second T20I against Afghanistan and then hit 60 off just 30 balls to kickstart a run-chase of 210. However, he retired hurt with the score on 83/2 and Sri Lanka ended up losing by three runs.

Yashasvi Jaiswal deserves the ICC Player of the Month award for February due to his splendid performance against England. Piling up mountains of runs against quality bowling is no joke.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has revealed the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month award winners for February 2024 after shortlists were announced last week.

Yashasvi Jaiswal wins the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award following a dominant series of batting performances as India battled back in February to secure series victory over England in the ICC World Test Championship.

Annabel Sutherland is named the ICC Women’s Player of the Month after her stunning efforts with bat and ball set new records in Australia’s Test victory over South Africa in Perth.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month Jaiswal enjoyed sparkling form throughout February to inspire India’s revival from 1-0 down to series victory during the month, notching 560 runs at an average of 112 in his three Test appearances.

The 22-year-old began the month with a fine double-century in the second Test at Visakhapatnam, standing tall where his teammates stuttered to hit a superb 209 in the first innings as the home side levelled the series with a 106-run victory.

The opener then went one better in the second innings of the third Test in Rajkot – unleashing a barrage of explosive hitting in his unbeaten 214 to equal the record for the most sixes in a Test innings (12) and help seal a convincing win.

Another half-century score came in the fourth Test at Ranchi, capping a milestone month for the opener which heralded a profound leap up the ICC Men’s Test Batting Rankings, where he now stands in the top ten after starting the series in 69th position.

Jaiswal’s win sees him become the first Men’s Player of the Month winner from India since Shubman Gill in September 2023.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month for February, Yashasvi Jaiswal, said, “I’m very happy to win this ICC award and I hope that there will be more in the future. It’s my first five match series and it’s been an incredible experience with all my mates.

“I continue to put in the hard yards in my practice sessions, learning from my seniors and trying my best on the ground. My highlight was probably celebrating my double-century in Rajkot. That was something I really enjoyed.

“I’m really enjoying this moment and I’m looking forward to the next series.”

ICC Women’s Player of the Month Sutherland secures her maiden win after a record-breaking Test display in Perth guided Australia to victory over South Africa.

Sutherland started the month quietly with subdued scores in the ODI series against the same opposition, but the longest format allowed Sutherland to break through and demonstrate the full extent of her abilities with bat and ball.

With South Africa skittled for a lowly 76 and Australia stuttering to 167 for four in reply, Sutherland arrived at the crease and continued the rebuild of the innings. After a steady start, it was alongside Alyssa Healy and then Ashleigh Gardner that Sutherland then pushed on, producing a wide array of powerful strokes with no lack of confidence.

The all-rounder smashed the South Africa bowlers to all corners of the ground on her way to a scintillating 210 – the fastest ever double-century in women’s Tests.

Beyond her batting display, Sutherland also took three for 19 in the first innings and two for 11 in the second innings to cap a thrilling all-round showcase.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month for February Annabel Sutherland, said, “It’s a massive honour to be named the Player of the Month and a nice way to cap off a successful home summer for the team.

“South Africa are always a strong opponent and to be able to perform against them in a home Test is something I’m proud of.

“Test cricket is always a highlight and to have been able to contribute toward winning that match was really special.”

Jaiswal and Sutherland were voted as February’s winners by global fans registered at icc-cricket.com and a specialist panel comprising ICC Hall of Famers, former international players, and media representatives.

Jaiswal overcame fellow nominees and batting stars Pathum Nissanka and Kane Williamson to February’s prize, while Sutherland pipped UAE duo Kavisha Egodage and Esha Oza to scoop the Women’s Player of the Month crown.

ICC

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today revealed the shortlist of candidates in contention to scoop the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month awards for performances in March

The ICC Player of the Month awards highlight the outstanding individual performers on the international cricket stage, and the names shortlisted for March spans a range of formats.

The ICC Men’s Player of the Month shortlist includes a key architect in Ireland’s first-ever men’s Test victory, a prolific frontline bowler from New Zealand, and a record-breaking Sri Lankan Test run-scorer.

Mark Adair has his maiden nomination for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award after spearheading Ireland’s Test win over Afghanistan as well as contributing in the shorter formats. New Zealand’s Matt Henry enjoyed a successful month with the ball also, taking regular wickets in his side’s World Test Championship series against Australia. The lineup is completed by Sri Lanka batter Kamindu Mendis, nominated for his memorable batting feats as Sri Lanka overcame Bangladesh in the longest format.

The women’s shortlist celebrates both shorter formats, with the nominees consisting of an explosive young English batter, and iconic all-rounders from Australia and New Zealand.

England’s Maia Bouchier blasted her way to the top of the run-scoring charts in her side’s victorious T20I series away in New Zealand, for which she is handed her maiden nomination. Ashleigh Gardner is a four-time former winner of the ICC Women’s Player of the Month and features once more after starring in Australia’s ODI series win against Bangladesh. New Zealand’s Amelia Kerr may have been on the losing end of the England series, yet she provided strong resistance as the White Ferns’ leading run-scorer and wicket-taker in March’s contests.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month Nominees for March:

Mark Adair (IRE)

The Irish pacer featured in all three formats in March, making strong contributions in all. However, it was in the longest format where Adair made his biggest impact, spearheading Ireland to their first-ever men’s Test victory with their win over Afghanistan in Abu Dhabi. Adair bowled superbly to take five for 39 in the first innings, and followed up with three for 56 in the second, which included the prized wickets of skipper Hashmat Shahidi and Ibrahim Zadran. This Player of the Match performance preceded more wickets in the subsequent ODI and T20I series, and Adair finished the month with 16 wickets across all three formats.

Matt Henry (NZ)

Despite their ICC World Test Championship series against Australia ending in defeat, the New Zealand seamer was a shining light for the Blackcaps during March. Henry was the primary threat with the ball in the first innings of the first Test in Wellington, dismissing both Australian openers in a fiery spell that heralded five wickets. The first innings of the second Test also saw Henry at his best – the 32-year old blitzing the middle order to take seven wickets for 67. With 17 wickets across his two Tests at an average of 15.70, the 32-year-old demonstrated trademark consistency and accuracy throughout, capping his performances with the Player of the Series accolade.

Kamindu Mendis (SL)

The 25-year-old batter registered modest scores in Sri Lanka’s T20I series against Bangladesh at the start of the month, but followed with a memorable record-breaking performance in the first Test in Sylhet. Striding to the crease at 57 for five, Mendis partnered with Dhananjaya de Silva to rescue the Sri Lanka innings, striking 102 as they eventually posted a respectable score of 280. Facing similar troubles in the second innings at 126 for six, Mendis alongside De Silva once more re-asserted control, and the former’s mammoth innings of 164 in 237 balls helped his side to a comfortable victory, and saw him become the first player batting at number seven or lower to hit two centuries in a single Test.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month Nominees for March:

Maia Bouchier (ENG)

With 223 runs coming from her five T20Is in New Zealand at an average of 55.75 and a stunning strike rate of 129.65, Bouchier produced a landmark month in her international career to secure her maiden appearance on the shortlist for the ICC Women’s Player of the Month award. She began the series with an unbeaten 43 to see England over the line in the first contest, before hitting a brisk 71 in 47 balls albeit in a losing cause in the third match. Promoted up to open the batting in the subsequent decisive encounter in Wellington, Bouchier proceeded to hit her highest T20I score of 91 in 56 balls, securing the series victory in blistering style as the star player in a 47-run win.

Ash Gardner (AUS)

Gardner is a four-time former winner of the ICC Women’s Player of the Month award, and her fifth nomination comes thanks to a series of fine performances as Australia secured ODI series victory over Bangladesh last month. The three-match contest saw Australia’s bowlers flourish, dismissing the hosts for under 100 each time. Gardner’s lethal spin was a constant threat, taking three wickets in the first encounter, followed by two wickets in the second and three again in the third. With eight wickets at an average of 8.62 across the three matches in Mirpur, Gardner deservedly claimed the Player of the Series prize.

Amelia Kerr (NZ)

The New Zealander is also a former winner of the ICC Women’s Player of the Month – claiming the top prize back in February 2022. Her performances in the recent short format series with England provides her latest nomination, where she ended as the White Ferns’ top run-scorer and wicket-taker. Among her notable contributions were 44 runs in 36 balls in a losing effort in the second T20I, and 44 more alongside Sophie Devine as New Zealand won the third encounter in Nelson. 114 runs at 38.00 and six wickets defined the 23-year-old’s prolific month, and also underlined her credentials as one of the outstanding young talents in the global game.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has revealed the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month award winners for March 2024 after shortlists were announced last week.

Kamindu Mendis claims the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award after his historic efforts at the crease helped Sri Lanka comfortably win the first Test in their ICC World Test Championship showdown against Bangladesh in Sylhet.

England’s Maia Bouchier wins the ICC Women’s Player of the Month prize thanks to a sparkling series of scores in New Zealand as the tourists secured a statement 4-1 T20I series win in March.
ICC Men’s Player of the Month Mendis may have made a quiet start to the month in the T20I series that opened Sri Lanka’s tour to Bangladesh, but he soon reversed his fortunes with a memorable performance in the first Test match in Sylhet.

Striding out to the crease with the tourists at 57 for five, Mendis rescued Sri Lanka’s first innings alongside Dhananjaya de Silva, thwarting Bangladesh’s firing bowlers on his way to hitting a controlled 102 – his first Test century – to help them post a respectable opening total of 280.

With a healthy first innings lead, the second innings presented a similar challenge when Mendis came to the middle. Sri Lanka had extended their advantage but limped to 126 for six when the batter initiated another stirring fightback, supported again by the brilliant de Silva at the other end. Both batters counterattacked and crossed the three-figure milestone, but Mendis’ mammoth 164 in 237 balls was the standout performance as Sri Lanka eventually sealed victory by 328 runs.

With his century in the second innings, Mendis became the first player batting at number seven or lower to hit two centuries in a single Test.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month for March, Kamindu Mendis, said, “I am extremely happy to be named the ICC Men's Player of the Month, which I consider an inspiration for my international career. A recognition such as this motivates and makes us as players work more and more to deliver in the middle for the team, country, and fans.

“I also wish the very best for the other two players who were nominated along with me, Mark Adair and Matt Henry, whom I consider excellent players and good competitors.”
ICC Women’s Player of the Month Bouchier secures her maiden win after starring in England’s T20I series in New Zealand.

The 25-year-old amassed 223 runs at an average of 55.75 from her five T20I matches during the month, guiding the visitors to a memorable 4-1 series win through a showcase of explosive performances.

Bouchier began the series with an unbeaten 43 in the opener, setting a challenging total alongside captain Heather Knight which was easily defended by England’s bowlers.

Her next impressive knock came in the third match, where she smashed 71 in 47 balls despite England falling short in Nelson.

Promoted to open the batting in the subsequent decisive encounter in Wellington, Bouchier hit her highest T20I score, blasting 91 in just 56 balls which included 12 fours and two sixes, to secure the series victory and collect the Player of the Match award in a 47-run win.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month nominees for April 2024 named

A trio of stars from Namibia, UAE and Pakistan have been nominated for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award for April 2024.

Vote for ICC Men's Player of the Month for April 2024

Gerhard Erasmus (Namibia)

The inspirational Namibia skipper was in great touch during last month's tour of Oman as he made strong contributions with both bat and ball.

Erasmus produced two Player of the Match performances over the course of the five-match T20I series, with his first one coming in a narrow six-run loss in the second game of the series when the versatile all-rounder hit 58 from 56 deliveries and backed that up with a spell that netted 3/7.

But Erasmus bettered that effort in the decisive fifth match that decided the series as he smashed six sixes when scoring a quickfire 64 from 29 deliveries and then made a pair of crucial breakthroughs as Namibia clinched the series with an emphatic 62-run triumph.

Muhammad Waseem (UAE)

The hard-hitting right-hander was in fine form last month as he scored bulk runs at the ACC Premier Cup and helped himself to a third T20I century.

While Waseem started the month with a first-ball duck against Kuwait, the 30-year-old quickly found form at the top of the UAE batting order as he helped himself to innings of 65, 45 and 48 in three consecutive matches.

But Waseem's highlight of the month came in the final of the ACC Premier Cup as he smashed six fours and a whopping seven sixes in making his third T20I century from just 56 deliveries and helping UAE to an impressive 55-run triumph over Oman.

Assured Waseem sets up UAE with half-century | Namibia v UAE | T20WC 2022
Vote for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month for April 2024

Shaheen Afridi (Pakistan)

The Pakistan pace spearhead showed some excellent signs on the eve of the ICC Men's T20 World Cup as he finished as the leading wicket-taker in his side's T20I series against New Zealand last month.

Shaheen picked up the only wicket in the rain-affected opening match of the series with the Kiwis and then followed that up with two eye-catching efforts in the second and fifth games of the series in Rawalpindi and Lahore.

The left-armer looked at his brilliant best when collecting figures of 3/13 to help bundle New Zealand out for just 90 in a Player of the Match performance in the second clash of the series and produced an even better game in the final contest of the series as Pakistan squared the series at two wins apiece.

In that decisive game, Shaheen took 4/30 in another Player of the Match effort and his eight wickets overall for the series ensured he also claimed the Player of the Series award.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has today revealed the winners of the ICC Player of the Month awards for April 2024 after shortlists were announced last week.

Hayley Matthews wins the ICC Women’s Player of the Month prize after spearheading the West Indies’ success in Pakistan across both ODI and T20I series.

UAE captain and opener Muhammad Waseem is named the ICC Men’s Player of the Month thanks to his notable run-scoring feats as the UAE triumphed in the ACC Premier Cup.

Matthews celebrates her third ICC Women’s Player of the Month award after previously winning in November 2021 and October 2023. Her most recent success comes thanks to an array of eye-catching all-round performances in April, resulting in 451 runs and 12 wickets across both shorter formats.

The West Indies began their tour of Pakistan with three ODIs, and skipper Matthews set the tone early with a dominant display in the opening encounter, blasting an unbeaten 140 from atop the order and following up with three wickets for 17.
More success followed with Matthews replicating her heroics in the third fixture, scoring 141 in 149 balls and taking two wickets for 26 in another comfortable victory to seal the ODI series sweep.

When the attention turned to the subsequent T20I series, the 26-year-old reinforced her position as the top-ranked Women’s T20I allrounder. Back-to-back half-centuries in Karachi and six wickets at an average of 10.50 told the tale of her series, as she inspired the tourists to another emphatic 4-1 series triumph.

ICC Women’s Player of the Month for April, Hayley Matthews, said, “I am really happy to win the award again. These performances resulted in the team’s success and that’s the most important thing for me as captain.

“To win in Pakistan was always a big goal. I wanted to perform well and contribute to the team’s success so to be able to have performances and get the results, that was really good and showed that the hard work and the concentration in Pakistan paid off.

“Being able to set some new records and achieve some new milestones as well was good for me so I’m extremely happy. We have confidence and we will take this with us going into the tour of Sri Lanka and look to secure more crucial points in the ICC Women’s Championship.”

ICC Men’s Player of Month, Waseem becomes the first UAE player to win the accolade and does so after a string of powerful knocks saw his side claim the ACC Premier Cup in Oman. The opener struck 269 runs during the month at an average of 44.83, which included a sparkling 56-ball century in the final showdown against the hosts.

Boasting an eye-catching strike rate of 182.99 from his April performances, Waseem’s explosive strokeplay was evident throughout the UAE’s campaign. A brisk 65 against Bahrain was followed up by smashing 45 and 48 against Oman and Cambodia respectively, before his fireworks against Oman secured a comfortable 55-run victory.

ICC Men’s Player of the Month for April, Muhammad Waseem, said, “It is a great honour to win the ICC Men’s Player of the Month award. I am thrilled to join a distinguished list of award winners from around the world.

“The award is a big motivation for players especially those from emerging cricket teams like the UAE. Last month, our goal in the ACC Premier Cup in Oman was to qualify for next year's Asia Cup and I am proud of my team and their performance in the tournament.

“At a personal level I am happy that I led the team from the front especially in the final. Scoring a century in a big game is indeed a special moment, especially when it helps the team to victory. I look forward to our preparations for the Asia Cup and my aim is to continue to deliver for the team with the bat and lead by example in these exciting times for UAE cricket.”
Matthews and Waseem secured the awards following a vote conducted among global fans registered at icc-cricket.com and a specialist panel comprising ICC Hall of Famers, former international players, and media representatives.

Matthews emerged victorious from a strong shortlist of candidates which included Sri Lanka’s Chamari Athapaththu and South Africa’s Laura Wolvaardt, while Waseem overcame Pakistan pacer Shaheen Shah Afridi and Nambia’s all-rounder Gerhard Erasmus to claim the monthly accolade.

Back