ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2021 | Pakistan v Namibia | Abu Dhabi | 02 November, 2021 | Pakistan innings

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Wiith three wins out of three so far, Pakistan are on the brink of qualifying for the semi-finals and will be looking seal the spot with a win over Namibia in Abu Dhabi.

In the first-ever meeting between the two sides in T20Is, Namibia face their sternest test yet in the form of Pakistan, who have been unstoppable so far in the Super 12 of ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2021.

Unbeaten in the World Cup so far, Pakistan have gone from dark horses for the tournament to one of the strong favourites in just three games. While bowling has historically been Pakistan's strong suit, the batting, led from the front by captain Babar Azam, has bailed the team out of trouble twice in the last two games.

Namibia, on the other hand, come into this game on the back of their first loss in the Super 12 to Afghanistan. While it was expected that the Eagles would find it difficult to deal with the spinners in Afghanistan's ranks, Namibia were done by the pacers who claimed seven of the nine wickets that fell.

As such, Namibia will have their task cut out facing the dangerous pace bowling trio of Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf and Hasan Ali, who have accounted for 14 of the 21 wickets Pakistan have claimed so far. The spinners too have played their roles to perfection, giving little respite to opposition batters between overs of searing pace.

If the Namibian batting are to hold their own against Pakistan, they will be banking on their "Bomb Squad", consisting of captain Gerhard Erasmus, David Wiese and JJ Smit, to make a collective impact.

Fixture Details
The Match: Pakistan v Namibia, Match 31
Time: 18:00 Sunday 2 November
Venue: Zayed Cricket Stadium, Abu Dhabi

The teams

Pakistan are unlikely to tinker with the combination that has won them games against India, New Zealand and Afghanistan and put them on top of Group 2.

Possible Pakistan XI: Mohammad Rizwan (wk), Babar Azam (captain), Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Hafeez, Shoaib Malik, Asif Ali, Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan, Hasan Ali, Haris Rauf, Shaheen Afridi.

Namibia are unlikely to make wholesale changes despite the loss against Afghanistan but could look to strengthen their batting order by bringing back Stephen Baard in place of Pikky Ya France, who has gone wicketless in the tournament so far.

Possible Namibia XI: Stephen Baard, Michael van Lingen, Craig Williams, Gerhard Erasmus (captain), David Wiese, JJ Smit, Zane Green (wk), Jan Frylinck, Nicol Loftie-Eaton, Ruben Trumpelmann, Bernard Scholtz.

Key players

Fakhar Zaman

Considering he is the only southpaw in Pakistan's top six, Fakhar Zaman will have a very important role to play in neutralising Namibia's left-arm heavy attack.

He struggled against New Zealand, taking 17 balls to get to 11, but found some sort of rhythm against Afghanistan with a 25-ball 30. After their opening game against India, Pakistan's openers haven't quite clicked in the previous two games.

If there comes a situation where Fakhar is out to bat early, Pakistan will hope he can dominate the Namibian bowling attack.

David Wiese

David Wiese was the lone warrior with the bat for Namibia in their 62-run defeat to Afghanistan on Sunday. Even as the rest of the batting order struggled to deal with the spin and pace, Wiese soldiered on, with him being the only batter to go past the 20-run mark.

Though his innings only delayed the inevitable, Namibia will be hoping their leading run-scorer in the tournament so far can lead the way against a strong Pakistan bowling attack.

Ladder situation

Pakistan can virtually seal a spot in the semi-finals with a win over Namibia. The Eagles, meanwhile, will be looking to pull off an upset and keep in touch with the four spots with games against New Zealand and India still remaining.

What they said

Pakistan's Shoaib Malik is not taking the game against Namibia lightly. He said, “Honestly, we’re not thinking of anything different because the T20 format is where you can’t take an opponent lightly. We’re completely confident, so we’re looking forward to the game.”

Namibia captain Gerhard Erasmus was honest in his assessment after the loss against Afghanistan. He said, "We are aware of the challenges. We need to make use of this level. This is a stepping stone for the future."

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it

We MUST reinforce our batting line for the playoffs by bringing in Haider and Nawaz.

2 of these 4 need to make way
Hafeez
Hassan Ali
Shadab
Imad

Imad is bowling good but can’t make any significant dent with the bat.
Hassan Ali is bowling with no spark but he can hit a few big hits.
Shadab is neither extraordinary with the ball or the bat but is a good fielder.
Hafeez is out of form n out of touch with bat for sure.

We need to perhaps make a decision to not play Hafeez in the play offs, and hence he should be dropped against Namibia and Scotland - or else, he may score against minnows to get in, but will haunt us in the semis.

So Hafeez goes out and live happily hereafter in retirement. Haider comes in.

How to bring in Nawaz, is tricky.
I think I will drop Shadab or Hassan for Nawaz, and keep Imad for new ball opening spell because wickets are indeed skidding in UAE D/N games - and this is only when Imad’s bowling becomes potent. Otherwise, on dry wickets, his bowling is toothless.

And your batting is strengthened.

Haris
Shaheen
Imad
Hassan Ali or Shadab
Nawaz
Malik
are your bowling choices.

Rizwan
Baber
Zaman
Haider
Nawaz
Malik
Asif
are your batting army.
And Hassan Ali is your wildcard in the lower order.

Shaheen n Rauf can get some rest in alternative games before the playoffs, and let Wasim Jr. play two games n I don’t mind.

1. Continue with Hasan Ali. He needs to regain form by playing rather than resting.
2. Rest Shaheen. No need for these 2 games
3. Replace Shaheen with Wasim Jr for next 2 games in case Hasan doesn't regain form we will need replace him for SF and final with either Wasim Jr or Nawaz ( unless anybody in 15 has injury than we can bring in Dahani)
4. Rest Malik and play Nawaz. Purpose to keep him bowling ready and consider playing extra spinner against RSA/AUS/Eng for SF and Final as by then pitches will take more turn and those teams are weaker against spin. Especially if Hasan Ali doesn't regain form and Wasim Jr not upto par I would go with Nawaz.
5. Unfortunately no slot for Haider with Fakhar doing fine and Hafeez necessary for bowling while Shoaib has done well in closing chases.

This could be a bump to earth. Tournament's not had a proper 'shock' yet and Trumpelmann is dangerous. Namibia could score 150+ first up and conversely restrict Pak

This JUI could be a bump to earth. Tournament's not had a proper 'shock' yet and Trumpelmann is dangerous. Namibia could score 150+ first up and conversely restrict Pak

They could not score even 100 against Afghanistan.

Make as many changes as Possible

1. Babar Azam (c)
2. Mohammad Rizwan
3. Haider Ali
4. Mohammad Hafeez
5. Sarfaraz Ahmed (wk)
6. Mohammad Nawaz
7. Asif Ali
8. Shadab Khan
9. Muhammad Wasim Jr.
10. Hassan Ali
11. Haris Rauf (or Shaheen Shah Afridi)

If Pakistan wins the toss, Bat First

Just need to give Shaheen rest. And drop Hassan.

Play Wasim & Nawaz.

Nawaz proved his worth at number 4 in national t20. He is an excellent bowler, fielder and better batsman than hafeez any day. Nawaz should come in for Hafeez, shadab is bowling better than expected as his form leading to WC was very poor. He needs more match practice. Hasan ali needs to be dropped. His form is poor and that can be improved, but bowling so many no balls for a world beating squad is not acceptable. He needs to be shown that he should be serious about cricket and not being a show off in everything he does on field. It will strengthen the bowling and batting both as under current form, wasim jr is bowling really well and definitely better batsman than hassan.

Imad should be replaced by Nawaz, as we already know what Imad can do and good to rest him. Shaheen also should be rested for Wasim J.

Is the Pakistan match being played on the same pitch as the SA v Bangladesh game?

I hope we rotate our XI. Anyone who hasn't played yet should play in remaining group games. I wanna see Dahani play today!

Come on Babar!

Unfortunately, this is exactly the type of game where Pakistan's intensity slips and I would not be surprised to see a poor performance today.

In addition, we tend to be too conservative and I expect no changes.
Hafeez - the senority issue comes in to play and there is no way he will be dropped and he needs an innings himself.
Hasan - same. Will simply not be dropped.

Both likely to perform better and then probably be exposed again in the semis.

In order to advance, these two need to go. Definitely Hasan Ali. Hafeez arguably is needed for his bowling. We should take a calculated risk and draft in Haider and Wasim/Nawaz innstead of Hafeez and Hasan. But won't happen.

Last edited:
Same pitch will be used good luck Pakistan team don't lose your guard and not to go for wholesale changes play with same intensity

Pitch getting bad to worse toss will be key also dew factor but if we bat first then need to bat sensibly not to over the top try to get 140 on this pitch will be tough if Namibia bats first then bowl them out asap

Terrible pitch

Hopefully it has got better with the Match progressing

I have a feeling Pakistan will be batting first today

I have a feeling Pakistan will be batting first today
Next 2 games we must bat first even if win toss. We need to test ability to put up big scores and also defend under dew.

Same pitch will be used good luck Pakistan team don't lose your guard and not to go for wholesale changes play with same intensity

Agree. Not comfortable about this game. Exactly the type of game historically Pakistan struggle in. Maintaining the intensity they have shown so far is going to be tough. I won't be surprised if we see a close, uncomfortable game.

Disagree. Namibia bowling is not this quality. Just following old school approach, 15 overs for 100 or so. Then blast away 60 to 70 in last 5.

Definitely. Pakistan should crush Namibia.

I was referring to the pitch. It seems like 135 is par here (slow nature).

Last edited:
I think Namibia would have batted first also as much as they say they wouldnt. The way to beat a big team for a minnow is to get runs on the board and hope for the opposition to capitulate

Good decision to bat first. But should have tried Dhani, Nawaz and Haider in place of Hasan, Imad and Hafeez.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the type of game where Pakistan's intensity slips and I would not be surprised to see a poor performance today.

In addition, we tend to be too conservative and I expect no changes.
Hafeez - the senority issue comes in to play and there is no way he will be dropped and he needs an innings himself.
Hasan - same. Will simply not be dropped.

Both likely to perform better and then probably be exposed again in the semis.

In order to advance, these two need to go. Definitely Hasan Ali. Hafeez arguably is needed for his bowling. We should take a calculated risk and draft in Haider and Wasim/Nawaz innstead of Hafeez and Hasan. But won't happen.

Exactly my point.
We will need to move on from Hafeez for sure.
There are plenty of bowling options and our bowling already is our strongest suit without Hafeez.
Hafeez's bowling should not be missed.

We need to beef up the batting line after clearly seeing the indicators when we made a mess out of two small totals.
We must realize that Asif is NOT going to come to your rescue everyday. Who knows if he has already peaked? Averages will catch up with him and he is bound to start getting out cheaply.

So reinforcing the batting line is a must.

Both Haider and Nawaz need to be drafted in.
Hafeez and Shadab or Hassan, should make way.

Pakistan have won the toss and have opted to bat

Pakistan (Playing XI): Mohammad Rizwan(w), Babar Azam(c), Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Hafeez, Shoaib Malik, Asif Ali, Shadab Khan, Imad Wasim, Hasan Ali, Haris Rauf, Shaheen Afridi

Namibia (Playing XI): Stephan Baard, Michael van Lingen, Craig Williams, Gerhard Erasmus(c), Jan Nicol Loftie-Eaton, Zane Green(w), David Wiese, JJ Smit, Jan Frylinck, Ruben Trumpelmann, Ben Shikongo

I think Namibia would have batted first also as much as they say they wouldnt. The way to beat a big team for a minnow is to get runs on the board and hope for the opposition to capitulate

Nope they are happy with the decision, and you are wrong, Ireland and Bangladesh both defeated pak and india while batting second in 2007, so bat first is not the only way

Hafeez and Hasan Ali again??? Saqlain is as bad as Misbah for sure.

T20 is a funny game. You cannot take anything for granted. Bold decision to bat first. All the best.

Good decision to bat first will be interesting to see the batting order

This is going to a be a tough wicket to bat on and there is the dew factor. Expect a close, uncomfortable game simply because it will be VERY tough to maintain the intensity of the last 3 games. Some people mentioning 200 - I would take 150. Tough wicket.

Last edited:
Is Babar scared of loosing to Namibia as well!!!!!!! Why can't he changed 2-3 players. Hasan Ali may give us false hope and then fail miserably against big teams. Pathetic coach. That's why we need foreign coaches who care about performance only.

Glad it's the same team and also happy to be batting first

Bat first score 200+ no excuses I expect the same team even though I woluld like to see Wasim & Haider get a run but Hassan needs to play to regain some form

Is Babar scared of loosing to Namibia as well!!!!!!! Why can't he changed 2-3 players. Hasan Ali may give us false hope and then fail miserably against big teams. Pathetic coach. That's why we need foreign coaches who care about performance only.

Excellent decision to stick with the same players.
Saqi has suprised me as to how well he is managing the side

To be fair, most professional coaches would go with the 'Why change a winning team' approach. Plus the 2 players who we all want dropped (Hafeez, Hasan) need a performance. So I can understand the logic - like you I don't agree. However, it isn't a point to criticise the coach about.

Why so pessimistic on every single post? He clearly doesn't want to fix something that's not broken. If anything goes wrong, he'll get blamed regardless.

Pakistan batting first makes this game interesting

Excellent decision to back the players they've played in the other matches. You don't experiment in a world cup. Some here are saying what if the non-performing players give us false hope. What if the new players give us false hope? What do you do then? It's better to back your players and hope they find some form and confidence. This is not some domestic tournament; it's the friggin world cup.

trumplemann getting movement already dangerous bowler, problem for namibia will be when their 3rd 4th bolwers come into play

Rizzzy what a tail ender...if u r struggling with withovemy play for singles

The legend of Lahore Qalanders David Wiese now plays for Namibia! Didnt know that

Not wrist slitters but the way they hace played first 3 overs is like tail enders..

This is why practicing setting a score is important.

It's good they are learning how to do it against Namibia rather than in a semi-final.

what are we expecting to blast the bowlers away like england??? The same england who crawled to 40-3 of 10 overs in similar conditions yesterday until Jos butler masterclass.

Struggling so far.

If they wanted to test themselves batting first, then that's exactly what is happening.

Back