ICC World Cup 2023: Australia (399/8) smash Netherlands (90) to win Match 24 by 309 runs

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1698167743525.png

After waiting patiently for an entire month for Travis Head to join them in India, the Australian players positioned themselves around the Arun Jaitley Stadium, ensuring they were quite a distance away from him. Travis Head had finally arrived at the World Cup after recovering from a left-hand fracture sustained during the South Africa tour. Once he had a good practice session in the nets, it was time for Head to focus on his power-hitting. The spreading out of his teammates had more to do with them taking up positions in the relatively expansive Kotla outfield. It was not that they didn't want to be around the popular left-handed batsman.

It took a bit of time for Head to find his rhythm with the power-hits, but soon enough, he started launching the white Kookaburra cricket ball into the Delhi night sky, clearing boundaries on both sides of the ground. Naturally, there were a few mishits, but the coaching staff was keeping a close eye on the clean connections he was making. Head had faced Sean Abbott in the nets without any significant trouble, and even his six-hitting seemed in good shape on that Monday night.

While the attention on Head was understandable, it didn't appear to be as intense as one might have expected had he arrived a week earlier. This could be due to Australia's successful efforts to get their World Cup campaign back on track after the initially unimpressive performances against India and South Africa.

While it's almost certain that Head will play against the Netherlands on Wednesday, Australia's ability to manage his fitness without excessive concern is a reflection of their improved chances of progressing deep into the World Cup. Pat Cummins' team currently occupies the fourth position in the tournament after being at the bottom just a week ago. With some favorable outcomes in other matches across the tournament, a victory over the Netherlands in Delhi could further strengthen their position.

Although recent matches have witnessed some surprising upsets, Australia has a strong historical record of not falling to lower-ranked teams in major events, with exceptions like their loss to Zimbabwe in the 1983 World Cup and the inaugural World T20 in 2007. The Netherlands, on the other hand, isn't aiming to "upset" anyone but to win as many matches as possible in pursuit of their goal to reach the semifinals, as stated by Logan van Beek before the match. They are looking to set the record straight against Australia in their first major event encounter since 2007.

When: October 25, 2023, 2:00 PM IST

Where: Arun Jaitley Stadium, Delhi

Teams

Australia:

The discussion regarding Head centers on whether he can get through the Tuesday session without injury, in which case he should be fit for the upcoming match. In such a scenario, it's likely that Marnus Labuschagne will be left out, and Mitchell Marsh, despite his impressive century, would be moved down to the No. 3 position.

From a tactical and strategic standpoint, having Head as the opener introduces a different dimension to the Australian team. This setup not only provides two very aggressive openers but also ensures that they have a No. 3 batsman capable of maintaining a high-intensity innings. Josh Hazlewood has had an outstanding tournament, although he hasn't always had a high number of wickets to his name. The primary challenge for the Dutch team would be overcoming the new-ball threat posed by Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc, especially with Adam Zampa now back in the wicket-taking form as well.

Netherlands:

The Netherlands have been one of the more stable teams in the World Cup, and it appears they will stick with the same lineup that faced Sri Lanka.

In terms of tactics and strategy, the Dutch team has emphasized the importance of consistent preparation. This focus on readiness means that they are likely to deploy Aryan Dutt as the opening bowler. Dutt, the second-most economical bowler in the powerplay, is expected to pose a challenge for the two left-handed Australian openers. While the Dutch team has relied on lower-order runs, they are hoping for their top-order batsmen to deliver and contribute more significantly.

Squads:

Netherlands Squad: Vikramjit Singh, Max ODowd, Colin Ackermann, Bas de Leede, Teja Nidamanuru, Scott Edwards(w/c), Sybrand Engelbrecht, Logan van Beek, Roelof van der Merwe, Aryan Dutt, Paul van Meekeren, Saqib Zulfiqar, Ryan Klein, Shariz Ahmad, Wesley Barresi

Australia Squad: David Warner, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steven Smith, Marcus Stoinis, Josh Inglis(w), Marnus Labuschagne, Pat Cummins(c), Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Adam Zampa, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Travis Head, Sean Abbott

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Aussies need a NRR lift. This game is a great opportunity for them.

I expect a big Aussie win.

Australia will come really hard here , trust me , they will go to get there run rate sorted.

Netherlands need to stick to right line and length , that will be key to trouble Australia.

Travis Head strengthens this side. Otherwise its a weak team with mediocre players like Marnus, keeper bat(whoever they pick) and bits and pieces in Stoinis or Green( as of now).

Pakistan praying for a Netherlands win here haha
Hahah one more time the Netherlands will do it for Pak inshallah. That being said, we might not win the matches we need to get through never mind an upset for the Aussies.

On top of that, it’s not like we could win the semis with our bowling, other teams are head and shoulders above us in all departments. Even then, I pray for a miracle. And it opens up the tournament more for that no 4 spot.

Nedtherlands won't beat aus. Even if they do, good luck on Pakistan clearing sa and nz

How are we gonna get past sa or NZ even if nedtherlands pulls a miracle?
First NL ain't winning this.
I didn't expect this from you lol you still believe in this team??
They are set of players with very limited skills. Everyone was shouting since 1st match just bowl test match line and thats it. If you asked me what was best naseem's replacement i would call its M.Abbas.

Win 2 more matches and finished on 5th or 6th is best scenario for us.

First NL ain't winning this.
I didn't expect this from you lol you still believe in this team??
They are set of players with very limited skills. Everyone was shouting since 1st match just bowl test match line and thats it. If you asked me what was best naseem's replacement i would call its M.Abbas.

Win 2 more matches and finished on 5th or 6th is best scenario for us.
Bro, Theirs a thing called sarcasm on this planet.

Secondly I said NL pulling a miracle. Do you know what a miracle is? It's an extremely unlikely positive scenario, emphasis on extremely unlikely

Bro, Theirs a thing called sarcasm on this planet.

Secondly I said NL pulling a miracle. Do you know what a miracle is? It's an extremely unlikely positive scenario, emphasis on extremely unlikely
Bro i understand your sarcasm but anyways maybe as every pakistani including me still want to pakistan qualify for semi's it hurts but we cannot turn away from reality. We are done in this WC. Maybe we can do better in upcoming T20 WC

Bro i understand your sarcasm but anyways maybe as every pakistani including me still want to pakistan qualify for semi's it hurts but we cannot turn away from reality. We are done in this WC. Maybe we can do better in upcoming T20 WC

Brother I said how is Pakistan gonna get past sa or NZ even if Nedthelrands somehow wins against Australia?

^^ In this remark I'm asking how Pakistan will get past sa or nz clearly stating that I don't think they have a chance in hell of getting past them.

From what angle does it show I believe in the team 😂😂. I've been memeing this team even before the world cup lol, because I knew the reality call that would happen even before Asia cup.

My first post on pakpassion is Is Muhammad rizwan currently the worlds best batter

AND I responded saying he's no 1 in t20 and I think he's the best player on the planet.

^^ If this isn't an obvious troll, I don't know is 😂😂.

I knew this team wouldn't win since the start of the NZ d series. This is what happens when you struggle against D teams, A teams would give you a wake up call eventually.

Australia are gonna bat first and look to get 400+ here

Netherlands came to rescue Pakistan in last year's T20 world cup in the same situation.

Pakistan have already beaten England, Newzealand, South Africa and Bangladesh in the 2019 world cup. Every possibility that they can repeat the same thing.
Bass, Netherlands Australia ko hara dey 😌🔥

Barring another monumental upset the semi finalists will be unofficially locked in after today.

Australia won the toss and chose to bat.

TEAMS:

Netherlands
(Playing XI): Vikramjit Singh, Max ODowd, Colin Ackermann, Bas de Leede, Teja Nidamanuru, Scott Edwards(w/c), Sybrand Engelbrecht, Logan van Beek, Roelof van der Merwe, Aryan Dutt, Paul van Meekeren

Australia (Playing XI): David Warner, Mitchell Marsh, Steven Smith, Marnus Labuschagne, Josh Inglis(w), Glenn Maxwell, Cameron Green, Pat Cummins(c), Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Adam Zampa

Bad luck Pakistan 😐
Dont think Netherlands are capable to chase anything more than 250

It will make the fight for the 4th SF interesting if AUS somehow lose to Netherlands today. I know its wishful thinking but it will create chaos in the mid table between AUS, ENG, PAK, AFG and NETHS as all of them will be on 4 points. Lets all hopw for an improbable upset no. 4.

Aryan Dutt is getting smoked. 4 back-to-back boundaries by Warner. Australia is off to a flyer here 27/0 after 3 overs.

Today is the day the Netherlands are effectively eliminated from SF race after BD yesterday .

One of SL/ENG will be effectively out tomorrow as well.

Nedtherlands ain't no push over but it's Australia.

I expect semis to be aus india nz and SA/Pakistan

Pakistan can certainly beat all remaining teams. Never count us out.

van Beek is among the wickets again. This guy has the ability to take wickets. Marsh is gone Australia is 1 down now for 29

Netherland also takes the wicket in powerplay against Australia, something which the fast bowling factory of Pakistan could not do.

Easy win for Australia coming up .

Four semi is almost confirmed

India

South Africa

Nz

Australia

Repeat of 2015 world cup semifinals.

India vs South Africa Final

After 8 overs, Australia is 51/1. Lost marsh early but both Smith and Warner are going at 100 plus strike rate.

India

South Africa

Nz

Australia

If AUS come into knockouts they will be a different team altogether. But its too early to say as they still need to beat NZ and ENG. If they lose these 2 then it will be tough for them.

If AUS come into knockouts they will be a different team altogether. But its too early to say as they still need to beat NZ and ENG. If they lose these 2 then it will be tough for them.
They only need to beat one of them to qualify as long as they beat BD and AFG and win today

Aussies are warming up well for the KO - if they face SAF or NZ; will walk past to final.

Warner
Mitch
Head
Smith
Labu/Green/Stoinis
Maxi
Ingils
Starc
Cummins
Josh
Zampa

Head probably bowls a bit left-arm spin as well. Frightening lineup, particularly for the SF at Eden (2 v 3, they won’t finish 1st, but should beat Kiwis to finish 2nd/3rd) with a bit of bounce on track.

If SAF wins over India, then Aussies might leave the last game 😜 as SAF will top the table in that case due to higher NRR. Otherwise, Aussies are winning next 4 games - they lost their first two games to almost confirm semi-finalists, therefore looked bad; but they have played their game on Chennai track….Today at Delhi, left is Dharmsala, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Pune😩 - then Mumbai or most likely Eden…

They are making finals most likely, with a very one dimensional team.

Aussies are warming up well for the KO - if they face SAF or NZ; will walk past to final.

Warner
Mitch
Head
Smith
Labu/Green/Stoinis
Maxi
Ingils
Starc
Cummins
Josh
Zampa

Head probably bowls a bit left-arm spin as well. Frightening lineup, particularly for the SF at Eden (2 v 3, they won’t finish 1st, but should beat Kiwis to finish 2nd/3rd) with a bit of bounce on track.

If SAF wins over India, then Aussies might leave the last game 😜 as SAF will top the table in that case due to higher NRR. Otherwise, Aussies are winning next 4 games - they lost their first two games to almost confirm semi-finalists, therefore looked bad; but they have played their game on Chennai track….Today at Delhi, left is Dharmsala, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Pune😩 - then Mumbai or most likely Eden…

They are making finals most likely, with a very one dimensional team.
India - Australia finals?

India - Australia finals?
Could be - Aussies had a very favourable fixture …. Soft games at the lower half of the schedule. They will get the chance to choose their SF opponents- won’t be surprised if they try to avoid India in SF. Ideally would like to take on Kiwis, with SAF- IND fighting for other spot.

India

South Africa

Nz

Australia

You think you can beat aus in a ko? If you win toss yes but what if you lose the toss?

What's India's record in wankhede?

Small ground. Easy to chase?

India can win but mental block in ko is still lingering. But if india does win semis then for sure india will win finals

They only need to beat one of them to qualify as long as they beat BD and AFG and win today
If they lose one match and Pakistan wins all their matches they will be tied and decided on NRR. Same with with ENG too if they win all matches then they will tie with AUS

If they lose one match and Pakistan wins all their matches they will be tied and decided on NRR.
In that equation, no one is out yet - Poms can blow their last 4 opponents (they have SRL & NED) & edge past to 4th on NRR - theoretically Dutch can do that even after todays loss or BD can win next 4 games to make it.

Practically, the SF lineup was decided on the first day of the WC when Poms lost - other three were almost certain for me months back.

Netherland bowlers already doing a better job than our lot against the Aussies....

In that equation, no one is out yet - Poms can blow their last 4 opponents (they have SRL & NED) & edge past to 4th on NRR - theoretically Dutch can do that even after todays loss or BD can win next 4 games to make it.

Practically, the SF lineup was decided on the first day of the WC when Poms lost - other three were almost certain for me months back.
What was the probability of Pakistan making it to the semis after their loss to Zimbabwe last year? So we never know. Common sense says AUS are favorites for 4th spot but Pakistan and ENG cannot be written off.

If they lose one match and Pakistan wins all their matches they will be tied and decided on NRR. Same with with ENG too if they win all matches then they will tie with AUS
That situation will be cleared for Australia by Monday depending on whether Pakistan beat SA or not.

Also PAK will have to beat NZ and if OZ also beat NZ, then NZ will also be in the fight on NRR.

Right now Australia's chances are much higher than PAK or England. Also they will know that they will have to compete only against one of PAK/England so there's that as well

What was the probability of Pakistan making it to the semis after their loss to Zimbabwe last year? So we never know. Common sense says AUS are favorites for 4th spot but Pakistan and ENG cannot be written off.
Better to write off pakistan. We are done. Do you think with this crap bowling we gonna beat SA? 0.0000000000000001% chance

Thats the wrong comparison . PAK went through ahead of SA because SA lost to NED.

We are talking about a scenario where we are assuming that Australia are going to beat the weaker sides.

After 19 overs, Australia is 119/1. Things are going well for the Aussies. ND really need to get wickets here...

Lol
Our external debt is 130b$ no worries this is in our DNA to always rely on others in every field of life. :sharif
You know it bro.

I'm surprised social media is not rampant with match-throwing claims after this Netherlands showing so far! Bad times relying on Netherlands for a cricketing favour!

Boring match, will skip it. Outcome is obvious. Only thing Ik is that I'll be soon in the top 10 on pakpassion fantasy league. 😂😂

This game is my golden ticket lol

That’s wrong comparison - context is different. In T20, PAK is a contender for SF - it’s the national game of PAK …. So, ZIM loss was an upset, like Dutch won here or AFGs against Poms. In that WC PAK almost beat India, beat SAF, NED & BD after that loss because team is genuinely a good T20 side - was among contenders always. Would have been an upset if they didn’t make it.

Here, context is opposite- even without losing to AFGs, no one with sane head would put PAK in SF over SENAI ….. then they lost a game considered certain to win, just edged past SRL without any NRR gain and got a beating in NRR for both losses - before AFG game, basically it was a case of one upset win, now they have to win 3 games against the odds, and two of the teams have one feet in SF. will be risking that (if they loose) and other one is a much better team (than PAK) with back stuck on wall.

…… now calculate.

Nedthelrands is a 100x better in fielding to Pakistan lol.

Fire fielding. 🔥

Netherlands back on top. Pak chances on the rise.

Jokes aside, talismanic Roloef doing his bit for the cause.

Netherlands back on top. Pak chances on the rise.

Jokes aside, talismanic Roloef doing his bit for the cause.

This time even nedtherlands won't do us any favours. Even if they somehow pull a miracle of miracle of miracles, sa and NZ will be licking their lips at Pakistan lol.

Labushange is a fine batsman but I recon he will cost Australia the World Cup

Dil dil Netherlands
Jaan jaan Netherlands
Dil dil Netherlands
Jaan jaan Netherlands
🇳🇱🇳🇱🇳🇱

Australia - 228/2 (34 overs).

They are accelerating a bit after a few quiet overs.

Shameless milestone chasing by Warner - caused Labu’s dismissal

Just tuned in and they were showing Delhi uncles dancing in Kuch Kuch hota hai song in the stadium.

Switched off the tele...pfff

Back