ICC World Cup 2023: India (357/8) thrash Sri Lanka (55) to win by a mammoth 302-run margin

What are you talking about. Pakistan lost 3 games badly. Even against SA, Pakistan got lucky otherwise game would have been finished earlier. Pakistan has not played good cricket so far and luck is not stopping Pakistan.
Did I say it’s all been about luck? No I don’t deny we were abject in those defeats apart from South Africa, and even in the Australia game we could of chased down there score

In the past you always felt like you had a chance against India, irrespective of the total they posted due to their bowling attacks. Nowadays they are just a daunting side altogether. We don't chase 290 against them in the 2011 edition against this attack, no chance. Scary times ahead, but not for them
In small ground if ball is not moving, 290 can be chased, but yes this bowling unit has no weakness. Opposition has to play really well for full 50 overs. It's not like you can see off one bowler.

Indian team has now ticked all the boxes. A big score and defended well in Mumbai. That's one of the SF venues. Next match is vs SA in Kolkata. That's another SF venue.

Later We will be finished when Sachin retires, then Zaheer, then kumble and Harbhajan. Now they are saying Kohli and Rohit.
Indian cricket is that movie that just gives intermission but there will be a bang post intermission but no climax.
You missed the legend, Ganguly!

Ganguly changed the face of indian cricket and pressed for Victory rather than individual milestones :p

Later We will be finished when Sachin retires, then Zaheer, then kumble and Harbhajan. Now they are saying Kohli and Rohit.
Indian cricket is that movie that just gives intermission but there will be a bang post intermission but no climax.
Lol what finished. Who said?
Jaiswal
Sundar
Tilak
I am sure there is more. Axar still young.

Bowling has tyagi prasidh kuldeep harshit who I hear is really good.

Were you both not born when he scored 50+ in 2014 SF & Final, 2016 SF and 2022 SF?
Maybe you were dropped on your head as a child but those weren't in a odi ko game. Don't bring up the 2011 which was in ancient times.

Indian team has now ticked all the boxes. A big score and defended well in Mumbai. That's one of the SF venues. Next match is vs SA in Kolkata. That's another SF venue.
The match against SAf will actually show if India will win the WC or only come close.That will be the first real challenge. Against an in form team.
Lol what finished. Who said?
Jaiswal
Sundar
Tilak
I am sure there is more. Axar still young.

Bowling has tyagi prasidh kuldeep harshit who I hear is really good.
Yeah Sarfaraz for tests. Karthik Tyagi who clocked 152 yesterday in SMA trophy.

You missed the legend, Ganguly!

Ganguly changed the face of indian cricket and pressed for Victory rather than individual milestones :p
Ganguly should have retired earlier bcos of his eyesight……. I saw in one match, Ganguly was fielding at the boundary, batsman hit the bowl right to Ganguly but Ganguly run to his left… horrible fielding due to his weak eye sight… after 2-3 months he announced his retirement

Maybe you were dropped on your head as a child but those weren't in a odi ko game. Don't bring up the 2011 which was in ancient times.
Just look at what @saqib.rai was mentioning. He was comparing Paksitan's t20 record with India's ODI KO record before commenting my friend.

ICC have mentioned that should India qualify for the semis, they will play their semi-final match in Mumbai, and not in Kolkata. The second and third-ranked teams from the league stage are scheduled to play their semi-final match in Kolkata, but even if they end up in either of these two positions, Rohit Sharma's men will still be playing in Mumbai.

ICC have mentioned that should India qualify for the semis, they will play their semi-final match in Mumbai, and not in Kolkata. The second and third-ranked teams from the league stage are scheduled to play their semi-final match in Kolkata, but even if they end up in either of these two positions, Rohit Sharma's men will still be playing in Mumbai.
If India finish 1 and Pakistan 4, then that semi final will be played in Kolkata

Next is SAF I believe…
Even so, Bumrah has played every match . And they would want full strength for the last league match to carry momentum into KO's. I hope they don't play Bumrah vs SA and rest him for NED

No irrespective of in which place India finishes tehy will play in Mumbai.

No. Irrespective of where Pakistan finish, Pakistan will play in Kolkata

India defeated Sri Lanka by 302 runs in Mumbai at the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 as their three-pronged pace attack ran riot.

Half-centuries from Virat Kohli, Shubman Gill and Shreyas Iyer lit up the first innings, before India’s seam attack took over in style, ripping through Sri Lanka in a dominant display under the Wankhede Stadium lights.

Mohammed Shami became India’s leading wicket-taker at Men’s Cricket World Cups in just his 14th appearance, coming on at first-change to take 5/18 from five overs.

But the brilliant Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Siraj had already put India in a dominant position, having Sri Lanka four down for just three runs at one stage in a ruthless opening powerplay.

The result is the fourth-largest margin of victory by runs in the history of men’s ODI cricket, the second-largest margin at a World Cup (trailing only Australia’s hammering of the Netherlands a week ago), and India's biggest win at a World Cup.

Earlier, after the excellent Dilshan Madushanka accounted for Rohit Sharma (4) early, Kohli and Gill stitched together a mammoth 189-run stand for the second wicket to set India up for a big total.

Neither were able to go on and reach triple figures, with Madushanka removing Gill for a run-a-ball 92 and then Kohli for 88.

But Iyer’s explosive 82 from 56 deliveries helped India accelerate towards the death, with Sri Lanka left with a big target of 358 to win.

Madushanka finished with five wickets to his name, accounting for five of India’s top six in a superb individual performance. But his exploits were subsequently overshadowed by the opposition quicks, who delivered a display for the ages to thrill the Mumbai crowd.

Match 33: India beat Sri Lanka by 302 runs

Having posted their biggest total of the tournament so far, India’s new-ball bowlers ripped Sri Lanka apart in the powerplay, with Mohammed Siraj and Jasprit Bumrah removing all of the top four in a remarkable early flurry of wickets.

Pathum Nissanka, Dimuth Karunaratne and Sadeera Samarawickrama all departed without scoring, with the two openers both falling to the first balls they faced. And captain Kusal Mendis could only add one run as Sri Lanka slipped to four down in an astonishing spell of play.

Nissanka (0) was removed from the very first ball of the innings, trapped lbw by a trademark Bumrah inswinger. And Siraj also struck with his first ball of the innings to remove Karunaratne, prising out Samarawickrama later in that same over.

A peach from Siraj effectively ended any lingering Sri Lanka hopes, as the on-fire opener angled one back in to Mendis that clipped the top of off stump so hard that it even broke the bails.

And things went from bad to worse for Sri Lanka when Mohammed Shami took two in two balls to leave the score at 14/6.

Charith Asalanka was the first to fall to Shami for a resolute 24-ball 1, and Dushan Hemantha became the third golden duck of the innings next up.

And Shami’s brilliant World Cup continued as he ran through the Sri Lanka middle and lower order, finishing with stunning figures of 5/18.

Siraj’s brilliant earlier spell earned him figures of 3/16 from seven overs and Bumrah ended with 1/8 from five.

India’s batting effort wows the Wankhede
Kusal Mendis won the toss and decided to bowl first in the Mumbai afternoon. And the captain’s choice looked inspired when Dilshan Madushanka silenced the Wankhede crowd with a brilliant off-cutter that cleaned up Rohit Sharma (4) off just the second ball of the match.

The early optimism that had come from Rohit’s innings-opening boundary was displaced by some nerves, with India forced to rebuild without their in-form captain.

But Kohli and Gill survived a tough new-ball test from Madushanka and Dushmantha Chameera, with both batters dropped inside the first six overs, to lead India’s rebuild.

And, following the first Powerplay, the duo made most of a surface that was becoming increasingly batting-friendly.

Kohli brought up yet another ODI fifty in the 17th over, while Gill followed up with one of his own in the 19th over, with India going at six-per-over by the midway point of the innings.

It was Gill who looked to crank up the scoring rate yet further, but the return of Madushanka to the attack prompted a swing in momentum, with Gill falling short of his hundred when he edged behind to the keeper.

And things got even better for the Lions when Madushanka trapped Kohli with yet another off-cutter. The Indian veteran tried to weave it through covers but could only offer a catch to Pathum Nissanka to depart for 88.

With plenty of time left in the game, Shreyas Iyer and KL Rahul started India’s second rebuild of the innings. And with KL keeping things safe at one end, Iyer looked to make a statement at the other.

One of Iyer’s string of boundaries was a humungous one off Kasun Rajitha in the 36th over, which, at 106 m, was the biggest hit of the tournament.

Rahul fell for 21 to Dushmantha Chameera, but that brought another Mumbai player, Suryakumar Yadav to the ground, accompanied by enormous cheers from the Wankhede faithful.

The big-hitting number six began with two immaculate straight fours to get off to a flyer, but was removed by the dangerous Madushanka for just 12 to leave the game fascinatingly poised inside the final ten overs of the first innings.

Shreyas Iyer let rip after passing his fifty, hitting six maximums in his excellent 82 from 56 balls, removed by that man Madushanka, who finished with 5/80 from his ten overs.

And while some late hits from Ravindra Jadeja lifted the total to 357/8, India would have finished the innings slightly disappointed that they hadn’t racked up even more.

But the bowlers ensured that the total was never remotely at risk in a match that evoked memories of the recent Asia Cup Final meeting between the same two nations.

Defeat leaves Sri Lanka in a position where it’s highly unlikely they will make the final four of the tournament.

And India can begin to look ahead to a semi-final appearance, potentially back on this same ground in just under a fortnight’s time.

Today's #INDvsSL match reminds me of the Coca Cola Champions Trophy final in Sharjah, 2000 where SL, riding on Jayasuriya's mammoth 189, scored a massive 299 (considered unchasable those days) and bundled out India for just 54.

Today, India reciprocated the same way. SL is currently a weak team, but between 1996 and 2005, they were a nightmare, especially for India. Cricket fans from that era still bear the wounds inflicted by Jayasuriya and his own version of 'bazball'.

Kusal Mendis: "Disappointed. They bowled really well up front and made use of the swing and seam. Credit to them. We hope to turn it around in a last two matches."

Today's #INDvsSL match reminds me of the Coca Cola Champions Trophy final in Sharjah, 2000 where SL, riding on Jayasuriya's mammoth 189, scored a massive 299 (considered unchasable those days) and bundled out India for just 54.

Today, India reciprocated the same way. SL is currently a weak team, but between 1996 and 2005, they were a nightmare, especially for India. Cricket fans from that era still bear the wounds inflicted by Jayasuriya and his own version of 'bazball'.
That was a great sl team that redefined odi batting. No shame at all losing to that sl team. And man Jayasurya was a monster 👍

How on earth did ENg lose to this pathetic SL side no matter how bad is the form of ENG is beyond my understanding? How will this SL team beat NZ to help Pak reach semis?
How did we let them score 346 (they could have scored 400) against us?

Where do we truly stand as a cricket nation?

How did we let them score 346 (they could have scored 400) against us?

Where do we truly stand as a cricket nation?
You should have to qualify for the CT hosted in Pakistan. No reason you should be an automatic inclusion.

So many team and personal milestones achieved today.

IND qualifies for semis.
Gill now is no. 1 batter unless Babar scores against NZ he will claim the top spot next week.
Iyer becomes 3rd fastest indian to 2000 runs
Shami becames India's highest wicket taker in WCs
Siraj too has a chance to reclaim his no. 1 ranking as he has another match against SA this weekend.

The match against SAf will actually show if India will win the WC or only come close.That will be the first real challenge. Against an in form team.

Yeah Sarfaraz for tests. Karthik Tyagi who clocked 152 yesterday in SMA trophy.
Same goes to south africa we will know how good they are when they face us

Best idea is to bat first against India. Their batting is weaker than bowling.
Crazy as that may sound, that's true. Would be curious to see how they fair chasing 300+ with Kohli and Sharma in the dugout. But all in all you need a perfect game to beat them similar to the Faf-AB game

I feel the pain of SL fans , that's a brutal defeat we might see some sweeping changes but cricket as a whole has regressed alarmingly hopefully there won't be any protests in SL back home shambolic

I feel the pain of SL fans , that's a brutal defeat we might see some sweeping changes but cricket as a whole has regressed alarmingly hopefully there won't be any protests in SL back home shambolic

Sri Lankas don't seem as crazy for cricket as Indians, Pakistanis, and Bangladeshis.

I don't recall any cricket protest happening in Sri Lanka ever.

Sri Lankas don't seem as crazy for cricket as Indians, Pakistanis, and Bangladeshis.

Because they are simply incompetent....as they still gives tough fight to Pakistan like Asia cup

Because they are simply incompetent....as they still gives tough fight to Pakistan like Asia cup

Sri Lanka have a superior literacy rate than Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh. They also seem to have a higher average IQ than those 3 countries. I wonder if that contributes to their calmer nature.

Last edited by a moderator:

They don't take losses seriously. But they are cricket lovers too But players do take it seriously. They have reached Asia cup final more t han anyone else.

Sri Lankans benefited from the fact that this was a dead rubber for them and no pressure of qualifying, even then they got destroyed.

50 all out and 55 all out. Many coaches would be sacked for these results. Chris Silverwood's position looks untenable. He presided over England's 4-0 Ashes Defeat in Australia before he was let go.

India in their billateral contests against Sri Lanka usually play their B, C team while resting their A players. Tells you how low Sri Lanka's stocks have fallen, they need a massive reset and overhaul.

[Reporter:]

Was the team surprised by being put in to bat first after Sri Lanka won the toss?

[Shreyas Iyer:]

I think we got lucky, especially when they won the toss and we were thinking that they would be batting first, especially when you come to Wankhede and play on such a brilliant track. And even in the huddle, when we decided that if we win the toss, we would be choosing to bat. But that didn't go according to plan. But we were lucky, as I mentioned earlier.

I wanted to ask, short ball has been a problem for you since the beginning of this World Cup and today we saw some great pull shots. How much are you prepared for the next match against South Africa because we know how good they are with the short balls.

When you say it's a problem for me what do you mean?

Not a problem, problem exactly but it has troubled you.

Troubled me? Have you seen how many pull shots I've scored? Especially which has gone for four.

If you're trying to hit a ball, you're bound to get out anyway. Irrespective it's a short ball, it's an over pitch. If I get bowled two or three times, you all would say that, OK, he can't play an in-swinging ball. He can't play a cut if a ball is seeming.

So, see, we, as players are bound to get out on any sort of deliveries. You guys have created that environment outside that he can't play a short ball. And I feel that people are picking that up every now and then and it plays on your mind regularly and you keep working on that.

Coming from Mumbai, especially from Wankhede, where the bounce is pretty much even and it bounces way more than any other pitches. So, I've played majority of my games here, so I know how to tackle it. It's just that when I go to hit some shots, you are bound to get out and sometimes it may work, sometimes it may not. And majority of the times it hasn't worked for me, maybe that's the reason you think it's a problem for me. But in my mind, I know there's no problem.

So, was this extra determination to come to Bombay and win the World Cup with a big contribution?

I mean, rumours are spread everywhere and you’ll pick on those rumours. I have faith in myself, in my skills, and how much I've played. I'm experienced enough to play certain deliveries. And I may get out again and again, but I don't mind, to be honest, as long as I have faith in myself and my teammates believe in me and support me. So that is a motivating factor for me. I don't pay attention to anything else.

You had a difficult 4-5 months when you were out of the game. Then you came to Sri Lanka and had a bit of a setback. So, when you came back after that, the Australia series, what was your state of mind like? And what is it that you kept telling yourself during that period?

Yes, it was a difficult ride to come out of an injury, especially in terms of fielding. I wasn't able to move as I used to before. But the trainers and the physios, they worked pretty hard on me, especially in terms of recovering after the games, because 50 overs, it takes a lot of toll on your body. And once you get used to it as an athlete and as a player, you focus more on the recovery aspect. And it is crucial for me, especially at this point of time when I'm playing consecutive matches, how I go back to the dressing room after the matches, how I train, all these aspects are critical. And yeah, I just keep ticking the boxes in terms of preparation and see to it that when I come to the game, I'm 100%.

Sometimes as a batting group, do you just talk to yourself that thank God we don't have to play the likes of Bumrah, Shammi and Siraj especially in conditions like today?

Yeah, looking at today's bowling and the previous game, definitely, we are lucky not to play against them. But at the same time, we batted them in the nets. So, it gives us an added motivation to come and play any sort of bowlers.

First day when you guys trained there at Wankhede, we saw you practice for more than a couple of hours and throughout the session you were looking to go big, whether it's the pull shot or the deliveries pitched up and you were doing exactly the same today. So, in your head were you kind of looking to make that intent kind of statement with the bat because the starts were there in the World Cup, but the big score came today, and you kind of replicated the training.

Yeah, it was playing on my mind right from the start, because I was getting tremendous starts in the first few games. I wasn't just able to capitalize on what I was getting to. But today, I just told myself that if it's there in my area, I'm just going to go take the bull by the horns. And yeah, fortunately, it worked for me and I hope that it keeps on working for me in the future as well, because the team is in a great space at the moment. And the players are cherishing each other's performance. That is very important when you come in such a big stage.

And yeah, talking about my batting, I was just playing every ball on the merit. The wicket was awesome to bat on. And yeah, grateful to get the score today.

My question is about the bowling as a batsman, which one you thought was more dangerous, bowling, the Asia Cup final or today? By Indian bowling.

I think the current bowling attack, it's pretty hard to say because in Asia Cup final, I was sitting out. From outside, it was a bit different. But now playing on the field, I felt that today's performance was surreal, especially by the bowlers, the way they stood up to the occasion. And once we got that two - three wickets, we just capitalized on that. And as a bowling unit, and also as a fielding unit, we supported our bowlers by taking a few catches here and there. So yeah, as I mentioned earlier, team is in a great space of mind.

Three of you could have got hundreds today, Shubham, yourself, and Virat. In a similar situation, do you all talk to each other about dismissals, missing hundreds at all?

See, this is the stage where you play for the team. You don't play for your individual performance. We definitely discuss about missing out on centuries or half centuries, but going forward, say if we are put in the same situation, I would have to go against the bowlers, right? Like if I'm batting on the 47th or 48th over, I won't be thinking. I was sighting the ball pretty well. It's just that I missed out on that particular ball. It was a little away from my body and Madhushanka was bowling brilliantly the way he bowled with the new ball and also, he came in varying his pace, bowling slower ones here and there. He bowled smart and yeah talking about our performances, we definitely discuss, and a few balls here and there, I could have got to 100. But nonetheless, there are a few more matches to come. And hopefully, I'll be able to get one.

You obviously come from the batting group, but are you privy to the conversations that take place between the bowlers in particular when they are preparing for such matches? Because in the lead up to this match, there was not much of a workload for the bowlers, but then they showed up the way they did today. So, if you're aware of the conversations that they have had in between games, if you can share some of it.

See, bowlers, they are so much experienced. They know exactly what is happening on the field. And as a batsman, we keep exchanging our information, especially if you're going to bat next, they come in and they talk about the conditions, what is happening and in that conversation the bowlers are also around and they also watch what is happening on the field. So, I feel they are experienced enough to pick up how the wicket is playing and what they'll be able to execute in the second innings if we are bowling second. If they are bowling first, then definitely they are individual bowlers to know what is happening. And they're so experienced that we don't have to tell them basically anything.

Considering your issues with the bag this year, do you consider yourself as blessed you are now part of a team which has, Indian team which has won the semifinals of the World Cup. This year has been slightly tough for you, so in that sense.

Yes, I was longing to come back to the team and looking at this play on TV, it was a difficult situation or position to be in. I am thankful for where I am and I also want to thank myself for working hard to be here with the team. I know the grind and the preparation I went through before coming here. It was intense. And also, the people who supported me through this journey, I would just like to thank them for being there for me and supporting me through thick and thin.

How much of impact this World Cup has on the shorter version of the game - especially while batting in the middle-overs. Also, a few restrictions are there. Only four fielders can be outside. How much of impact of T20s we have seen on the middle over batting?

You're right. It depends on how we get the start. If the platform is set by the top order batsmen, especially 1, 2, 3, it is easier for us to come in and capitalize and carry forward the momentum from there on, especially in the middle overs. And if the wicket is as beautiful as it was playing today, I feel that 300 would be the par score on such wickets.

Going forward, we have to capitalize on the stats that we get and see to it that we build that solid partnerships in between by which our main finishers would come in and seal the match.

I would not want the Pakistani team to be humiliated by this Indian bowling attack in this manner. I would rather we don't qualify for the semis in order to avoid this Indian team. The end result is inevitable

Sri Lanka have a superior literacy rate than Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh. They also seem to have a higher average IQ than those 3 countries. I wonder if that contributes to their calmer nature.
They have one of the most non violent religions in the world - Buddhism. That's the reason

Even an experienced veteran like Mathews couldn't handle Shami.

Shami is in the form of his life.

Angelo Mathews was expected to carry the Sri Lankan batting line up forward after the retirement of Jaywardene and Sangakkara. He was mentored by them and benefited from playing with them. He was in his late twenties when they retired.

Sadly he took his place in the team for granted, he put on weight, his output with the bat diminished and his average declined. He wasted the investment the Sri Lankan Board made on him and they had no choice but to move on from him.

They have one of the most non violent religions in the world - Buddhism. That's the reason
Lol, you forget they have a very violent recent history. Religion has nothing to do with that, it’s how people themselves behave.

Hey! Even Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana were violent at the crease 🤣

Lol, you forget they have a very violent recent history. Religion has nothing to do with that, it’s how people themselves behave.

Hey! Even Jayasuriya and Kaluwitharana were violent at the crease 🤣
Violent in the crease doesn't mean violence in the streets. They had this big Tamil issue and that was neutralized. Otherwise Lankans are peaceful people.

Good performance by Indian team…. Before this match, there was a concerned about Gill-Rahul-Iyer not playing big knocks, but gill n Iyer played big knock.. Rahul will play big knock in next 2 matchws

I would not want the Pakistani team to be humiliated by this Indian bowling attack in this manner. I would rather we don't qualify for the semis in order to avoid this Indian team. The end result is inevitable

Never in my life did I think a Pakistani supporter would say such things about Indian bowlers ... how things have changed!! ( And not for one moment I say this in a derogatory or condescending manner).

I suppose the take away is that change is the only constant and therefore one day there will be a Pakistani batting lineup that would evoke the same feelings amongst Indian cricket fans.

Yesterday Indian bowlers displayed amazing genuine swing bowling…… some fans said here that ball is swinging under lights……… I don’t think so otherwise srilankan batsmen would have requested umpires to turn off the lights…. Very simple😀

This SL team should be disbanded and taken out of game for 2 years during that time they should only do practice for playing quality fast bowling.

This SL team should be disbanded and taken out of game for 2 years during that time they should only do practice for playing quality fast bowling.
But the problem is that SL seems to be doing not too bad against other teams. Its only against India they seem to be dire

But the problem is that SL seems to be doing not too bad against other teams. Its only against India they seem to be dire
Instances of Sri Lanka getting bowled out for less than 100 in 2023, the most for a team in a year in men's ODIs. Three of those four came against India, also the most for a team in a year against an opponent.

This SL batting line-up has twice crossed 320 this tournament, have a batsman averaging 66, another who had hit four consecutive fifties and a 46 in the World Cup, and in Mathews a player with 193 ODI innings and some all-time great knocks on his record.

One can safely say its us who have wood over SL.

Crazy as that may sound, that's true. Would be curious to see how they fair chasing 300+ with Kohli and Sharma in the dugout. But all in all you need a perfect game to beat them similar to the Faf-AB game
For that to happen first This Indian Bowling Attack has to concede 300+

Back