ICC World Cup 2023: India versus Pakistan Group Stage game in Ahmedadabad - Bat first?

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Here are some comments from the captains from yesterday - Babar seems to give it away but Rohit keeping his cards close to his chest.

Rohit Sharma in his presser

[Reporter:]

Is a toss going to be important because of the dew now?

[Rohit Sharma:]

Honestly, I don't know how much of a factor it is going to be, because in Delhi, we were expecting dew to come in. It didn't come. Chennai also, it was after probably 30 overs. So, you are done with 75% of the game by then. So, I don't think toss is going to play a massive factor. It is what the team is comfortable doing, whether it is chasing, posting a total, whatever that is. You know, whatever the team is comfortable doing, we try and do that.

Babar in his presser

Dew and toss - will they be big factors?

"All the games we have seems so far, toss has been vital to the outcome of the game as the pitch seems to behave very nicely under lights; We saw some dew last night here, but we will ask the match referee and umpires if they will spray the field or not"

Wonder what Babar is thinking - this picture from yesterday as he inspected the pitch

yPRoNhg.jpg

It’s interesting to see how different the two cricket captains may think and approach the big game. Rohit doesn’t worry too much about the dew, while Babar thinks it’s a big deal. This shows how each team has its own game plan in cricket. The excitement level has peaked already. Can't wait anymore, bro.

Bat second no matter what. Flat pitch with the dew coming on will be pretty difficult to defend scores on.

Bat second no matter what. Flat pitch with the dew coming on will be pretty difficult to defend scores on.

Seems Babar not convinced but the decision will be taken away from him if India win the toss.

Back in the early 2000's we were better setters.
Since the inclusion of Imam, Fakhar, Babar we've been better chasers generally.
Right around the time we won the champions trophy is when I noticed the shift even though Imam wasn't included at the time.

Seems Babar not convinced but the decision will be taken away from him if India win the toss.
I guess that Babar is not thinking about defending the target. He is more into thinking that if they chase, then the dew factor will help them later on and they can chase any target that is posted on the board.

Chasing has been easier in this World Cup, I guess that's the way to go.

I would prefer Bharat to bat first and not repeat the mistake of Champions Trophy 2017 final, the tournament that we gifted to Pakistan by allowing them to bat first in the flat pitch where we ourselves would have hit 300 and defended it.

Pakistan has nothing to lose here. They will honestly do either

This is the reason why we will never be at the level of Australia in cricket tournaments.

Extremely defensive mentality.

We may still win but with this defensive mindset we can never be the team we wish to be.

This is the reason why we will never be at the level of Australia in cricket tournaments.

Extremely defensive mentality.

We may still win but with this defensive mindset we can never be the team we wish to be.
We could be more defensive during the second half of our innings that could take us to a respectable total.

Back