ICC World Cup 2023: Pakistan v Afghanistan | Match 22 | Chennai | 23 October | Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Afghanistan play their best cricket vs Pakistan. Watch Farooqi take 3 wickets in his opening spell. Nabi has been poor with the bat recently but against Pakistan he’ll make sure he bats till the end.

Afghanistan fans should be looking forward to this game, Pakistan fans will be worried about this game. Easy win for Afghanistan imo

Lose the toss kind of game for both captains.

Afghanistan would be better off losing the toss and batting first against Pakistan. The same goes for Pakistan, lose the toss and bat first.

250 on the board, the game is yours

Afghanistan play their best cricket vs Pakistan. Watch Farooqi take 3 wickets in his opening spell. Nabi has been poor with the bat recently but against Pakistan he’ll make sure he bats till the end.

Afghanistan fans should be looking forward to this game, Pakistan fans will be worried about this game. Easy win for Afghanistan imo
Their batting order is a mess.

Zadran should bat at 3, not open.

Khalil needs to come in at 5, before Omarzai.

I personally would open with Nabi and Gurbaz. Let Nabi express himself in the powerplay. They might have Najeebullah Zadran back also for Pakistan.

They need to get their 4th spinner in, I would drop one of the two rubbish middle order batsmen.

Nowadays it’s the word of the groundsman. They give accurate readings
So far even bigger teams have botched it like England did against Afghanistan. They just go by what happened on the previous match rather than having a fresh look at the surface

Lose the toss kind of game for both captains.

Afghanistan would be better off losing the toss and batting first against Pakistan. The same goes for Pakistan, lose the toss and bat first.

250 on the board, the game is yours

So far 14 out of 18 times team that won the toss , lost the match. Captains may not want to be in a position where they have to take a decision upfront hat decides the outcome of the match. They would rather leave it to opponent.

I really hope Afghanistan win this match. They are the much better team in terms of bowling strength.

I hope Pakistan doesn't fluke a win. Because they are in need of a reality check and some of these "superstars" need to be brought back to earth.

So far 14 out of 18 times team that won the toss , lost the match. Captains may not want to be in a position where they have to take a decision upfront hat decides the outcome of the match. They would rather leave it to opponent.
I didn’t know that stat but I personally would like to be told what to do at the toss in these conditions and situations

Just gives you a ‘nothing to lose now’ kind of relief once put in that position.

Must win & by a very big margin for Pakistan. Afghanistan is only in the World Cup to beat Pakistan, and they have challenged Pakistan consistently. With drop dead confidence, Pakistan might be prime candidate for some afghani drubbing.

I will improvise and go for this line.

1. Imam
  2. Shafique
  3. Babar
  4. Fakhr zaman
  5. Rizwan
  6. Saud
  7. Ifty
  8. Shadab
  9. Hassan
  10. Shaheen
  11. Rauf
Fakhar has knee injury.

I really hope Afghanistan win this match. They are the much better team in terms of bowling strength.

I hope Pakistan doesn't fluke a win. Because they are in need of a reality check and some of these "superstars" need to be brought back to earth.
6 years Afghanistan beat Pakistan in under-19 Asia cup final. Gurbaz, zadran, Ikram, Mujeeb, Shaheen, Abdullah shafique all were part of the sides. They reached final ahead of India/BD/SL. Here we have. They have progressed to a level where they brought down Defending champions. If they add Noor they can be even more dangerous.

If the story of Bharatiyas and Afghans is that of Khuda Gawah (the immortal love tale of Badshah Kham & Benazir) then the story of Bharatiyas and Pakistanis is that of Karan-Arjun. The greatest brotherly story of all time.
The heck is going on here? We talking cricket or Bollywood?

PAK will give AFGs a royal thrashing. This is one game I can bet PAK will win & win comfortably. In terms of skills - PAK’s weaknesses won’t be exposed by AFGs, while AFGs strengths won’t be effective against Pakistan. Overall skill gap is quite wide, but added to the other aspects, of the nine WC games of PAK, I would have given this game highest odd (of losing).

What are PAK’s weaknesses:

1. Pathetic spin attack: this will often be exposed by every team including AFGs, but their batsmen are not good at manoeuvring spin (darting) - they can slog some boundaries, but always will give chances of getting wicket for PAK’s non penetrative spin threat. Most other teams will milk singles with selective hitting in between - at least won’t give key wickets at wrong time.

2. RADAR less pace bowling: aggressive but indisciplined fast bowling will go for plenty against top teams, but AFGs are worst batting unit against short ball & express pace. Rauf & Hasan went for plenty with new ball yesterday (& against India, will do similar against SAF, ENG & NZ as well), but they’ll be frightening against Afghan batters with predominantly a front foot, horizontal bat shots.

3. Inept & clueless, defensive captaincy by Babar: first two are easily explainable - but against that Afghan captain, still he is Street smart. His defensive captaincy is a liability against most teams - he reluctance of taking initiatives often allows teams to escape off the hook at key moments, but I doubt AFGs are that astute to expose this. They also play a very non complex, free flowing game it’s same tempo. A battle of probability the two most simpleton captains, where PAK will enjoy the upper hand (probably only game in this WC where Babar is smarter than his counterpart)

4. Overall mediocre team: PAK played a very old fashion game of slow building and taking the game to deep - regardless the tactics being good or bad, it has given the team a very good reliability & ruthlessness. They won’t win many games against odds (games that they are not expected to win), because overall skill level isn’t high (2, max 3 PAK players will make the starting XI of a top 5 side these days - there were times when that was the number of PAK players certain to make world XI!!!), but unlike the flashing teams of past, this team won’t lose unexpectedly. Players like Imam, Babar, Riz, Abdullah are not Syed, Zaheer, Javed, Mazeed, MoYo or Inzi…. but, given a reasonable target against inexperienced sides - they will win every game playing ruthless, unspectacular but low risk, percentage games.

5: Predictability: contrary to popular beliefs, this is the most predictable PAK team ever - their range is defined by a hard line and they hardly cross that limit, be upper or lower. AFGs came to this WC probably being favourite in one game and that was certainly not PAK one - so, it’ll be a massive upset, which I don’t see happening against this PAK.

On contrary, if we see AFGs strengths, bar India, PAK is the least likely team to be threatened by them. AFGs played a near perfect game against Poms & that’s like their only play book - bat first and hope that Gurbaz fires to give a head start, then middle & lower order contributes to post a total that allows spinners to attack and get 10 wickets. Even their fielding is poor to put any squeeze on batting side - taking wickets is their only option. That worked perfectly against Poms, but not against BD, won’t be against any other Asian sides and least likely against PAK because -

1. Spin play: PAK actually is a very good spin playing team - Riz, Saud are excellent spin players, Abdullah & Imam are defensively sound while Ifti, even Shadab/Newaz are very good spin bashers. In fact PAK’s weakest spin player is probably Babar who still on own right is overwhelmingly enough for AFGs. In short - the target that could force PAK to succumb to AFG spinners, AFGs are not good enough to post that.

2. Lower order hitting: Agsinst weakest attacks or pace attacks that are not familiar with these wickets had gone for a beating against AFG lower half, but PAK pacers with old ball simply will reap through poor AFG tail, on dry conditions if AFGs are batting first.

3. Chennai conditions: people are scared of the Chennai wicket but it’s a very balanced wicket for day night games. It’s not a rank turner, neither green means, batting first or second hardly gives any advantage. Batting first comes with the challenge of batting against spinners on dry conditions (& reverse swing in third PP), then to bowl with wet ball on a soaked wicket; bowling first comes with the challenge of chasing a big total under lights & new ball will seem here during twilight hours. Neither options give AFGs any edge over PAK - against SAF or ENG I could have said that bat first and post 250+, flashy but fragile SAF/ENG batting might crumble, but PAK will walk past 250ish target, but may bein 48 overs, instead of 38. AFGs couldn’t defend 300 in SRL under light in summer without any dew, won’t at Chennai in winter either, and unlike SRL, they won’t post 300 at Chennai batting first.

There are few other minor things like marginal umpiring calls, poor running between wickets, too many extra conceded … but these are not major factors and I don’t see AFGs gaining substantially in any of these aspects.

Miracles do happen and I hope PAK team won’t make me swallow my words, but if I were a betting guy, would have put my money for PAK at even 1:25 odds; only India would have got a higher odds than this.

PAK will give AFGs a royal thrashing. This is one game I can bet PAK will win & win comfortably. In terms of skills - PAK’s weaknesses won’t be exposed by AFGs, while AFGs strengths won’t be effective against Pakistan. Overall skill gap is quite wide, but added to the other aspects, of the nine WC games of PAK, I would have given this game highest odd (of losing).

What are PAK’s weaknesses:

1. Pathetic spin attack: this will often be exposed by every team including AFGs, but their batsmen are not good at manoeuvring spin (darting) - they can slog some boundaries, but always will give chances of getting wicket for PAK’s non penetrative spin threat. Most other teams will milk singles with selective hitting in between - at least won’t give key wickets at wrong time.

2. RADAR less pace bowling: aggressive but indisciplined fast bowling will go for plenty against top teams, but AFGs are worst batting unit against short ball & express pace. Rauf & Hasan went for plenty with new ball yesterday (& against India, will do similar against SAF, ENG & NZ as well), but they’ll be frightening against Afghan batters with predominantly a front foot, horizontal bat shots.

3. Inept & clueless, defensive captaincy by Babar: first two are easily explainable - but against that Afghan captain, still he is Street smart. His defensive captaincy is a liability against most teams - he reluctance of taking initiatives often allows teams to escape off the hook at key moments, but I doubt AFGs are that astute to expose this. They also play a very non complex, free flowing game it’s same tempo. A battle of probability the two most simpleton captains, where PAK will enjoy the upper hand (probably only game in this WC where Babar is smarter than his counterpart)

4. Overall mediocre team: PAK played a very old fashion game of slow building and taking the game to deep - regardless the tactics being good or bad, it has given the team a very good reliability & ruthlessness. They won’t win many games against odds (games that they are not expected to win), because overall skill level isn’t high (2, max 3 PAK players will make the starting XI of a top 5 side these days - there were times when that was the number of PAK players certain to make world XI!!!), but unlike the flashing teams of past, this team won’t lose unexpectedly. Players like Imam, Babar, Riz, Abdullah are not Syed, Zaheer, Javed, Mazeed, MoYo or Inzi…. but, given a reasonable target against inexperienced sides - they will win every game playing ruthless, unspectacular but low risk, percentage games.

5: Predictability: contrary to popular beliefs, this is the most predictable PAK team ever - their range is defined by a hard line and they hardly cross that limit, be upper or lower. AFGs came to this WC probably being favourite in one game and that was certainly not PAK one - so, it’ll be a massive upset, which I don’t see happening against this PAK.

On contrary, if we see AFGs strengths, bar India, PAK is the least likely team to be threatened by them. AFGs played a near perfect game against Poms & that’s like their only play book - bat first and hope that Gurbaz fires to give a head start, then middle & lower order contributes to post a total that allows spinners to attack and get 10 wickets. Even their fielding is poor to put any squeeze on batting side - taking wickets is their only option. That worked perfectly against Poms, but not against BD, won’t be against any other Asian sides and least likely against PAK because -

1. Spin play: PAK actually is a very good spin playing team - Riz, Saud are excellent spin players, Abdullah & Imam are defensively sound while Ifti, even Shadab/Newaz are very good spin bashers. In fact PAK’s weakest spin player is probably Babar who still on own right is overwhelmingly enough for AFGs. In short - the target that could force PAK to succumb to AFG spinners, AFGs are not good enough to post that.

2. Lower order hitting: Agsinst weakest attacks or pace attacks that are not familiar with these wickets had gone for a beating against AFG lower half, but PAK pacers with old ball simply will reap through poor AFG tail, on dry conditions if AFGs are batting first.

3. Chennai conditions: people are scared of the Chennai wicket but it’s a very balanced wicket for day night games. It’s not a rank turner, neither green means, batting first or second hardly gives any advantage. Batting first comes with the challenge of batting against spinners on dry conditions (& reverse swing in third PP), then to bowl with wet ball on a soaked wicket; bowling first comes with the challenge of chasing a big total under lights & new ball will seem here during twilight hours. Neither options give AFGs any edge over PAK - against SAF or ENG I could have said that bat first and post 250+, flashy but fragile SAF/ENG batting might crumble, but PAK will walk past 250ish target, but may bein 48 overs, instead of 38. AFGs couldn’t defend 300 in SRL under light in summer without any dew, won’t at Chennai in winter either, and unlike SRL, they won’t post 300 at Chennai batting first.

There are few other minor things like marginal umpiring calls, poor running between wickets, too many extra conceded … but these are not major factors and I don’t see AFGs gaining substantially in any of these aspects.

Miracles do happen and I hope PAK team won’t make me swallow my words, but if I were a betting guy, would have put my money for PAK at even 1:25 odds; only India would have got a higher odds than this.
Afghanistan will drop 5-6 catches though otherwise they could have choked even NZ. Also, unless Afghans bat first and score 280 here, they cannot defend it. Not sure why Trott thought Afghans are capable of chasing

Afghanistan is one of the worst fielding unit. That is a given. Their bowlers rely more on bowleds/ lbws. So if Pakistan doesn't get out that way they can bat long and har against them.

If afghans bat first and score 260 . Pakistan will find it extremely difficult. Our batters except saud play pace better but horrible against good spin

Let's not overrate Afg and Ned.
Afg don't have the batting to trouble major teams. Exceptional start by Gurbaz took them to somewhat decent score against Eng which they defended.

That will not happen everyday.

Both teams looks inconsistent in their performance… whichever team reliable on match day, will win

Pakistan definitely has a better team go with full confidence,

Shafiq Imam Babar Nawaz Rizwan Saud Shadab Iftikhar SSA Hassan Rauf

Backing Afghans to win Inshallah. Want an many defeats as possible for Babar 11.
Hope Afghan bat first and mujeeb Rashid and Nabi are at their best

AFG is very overrated here in PP. They still need everything to go their way and nothing going for opponents as well. Easy win for Pakistan.

They beat defending champions. ran several games close against Pakistan. Nasim shah bailed them out. So obviously not under-rating them if not over-rating them is understandable. If anything no team should under-rate any team in this world cup because all teams have specific weaknesses. If the opposition catch you off guard on the match day targeting your weakness you could be in trouble. You lose 2 points unnecesarily.

Our only chance is to get them out cheaply, if they put on 250 we are in danger. If we bat first we need to put at least 275 on board and make early in-roads, unless it's curtains and I am leaning towards it being curtains for us.
By "WE" I hope you meant afghanistan.

Because Pakistan will beat Afghanistan any time any day. Minnows are minnow for a reason.

Let's not overrate Afg and Ned.
Afg don't have the batting to trouble major teams. Exceptional start by Gurbaz took them to somewhat decent score against Eng which they defended.

That will not happen everyday.
they managed more runs against India than either Pakistan, or Australia.

the point is, they are not effective chasers, and rely on putting pressure on teams chasing, especially if the said team is not competent enough to chase against an attack that is a little more potent that a club side. the game will be a test for Pakistan if afghanistan manage a decent total.

keep in mind that australian catching let them down yet again, and were they a little more competent in that department the gulf between pakistan and australia would have exceeded 150.

Easy win for Pakistan 🇵🇰 🥰

If Pakistan bat first 276/8

If Afghanistan bat first 208 ao

Afghanistani fans 😉😩

Bench Babar!! Surely he will fail against quality spinners. Add Haris to play some quick runs.

This team is at an all-time low, we are definitely the worst team in this World Cup.

I have no idea how Netherlands and Sri Lanka lost to these bunch of losers.

Should be an easy win for Pakistan. They have never lost in Chennai, and won't against these T20 mercenaries.

It was embarrassing to watch Hasan Ali bowl 127 to 130 kph tunderbolts plus he is 5' 6'' with no front leg brace. He was garbage with new ball as well against Australia. He has no business playing for Pakistan. We should replace him with Zaman Khan(Fakhar Zaman is injured)

Haris is overrated, not good enough but he is being used wrongly by the captain, should come after 15 overs, okay with the old ball.

Stonis bowls literally faster than Hasan Ali . Any decent FC cricketer right is better than him right now. I can name few

Aamir Jamal, Khurram Shehzad, and Arshad Iqbal, they bowl a lot quicker but there is no merit in Pakistan, only need to be in good books of Babar Azam. Yaari Dosti squad

I hope that Abrar Ahmed is made available for this match. If there ever were a time to introduce him, it would be now.

1) Abdullah Shafique
2) Babar Azam
3) Saud Shakeel
4) Mohammad Rizwan
5) Iftikhar Ahmed
6) Agha Salman
7) Shadab Khan
8) Usama Mir
9) Mohd Wasim Jr
10) Shaheen Afridi
11) Haris Rauf

I will go with this line up.

By "WE" I hope you meant afghanistan.

Because Pakistan will beat Afghanistan any time any day. Minnows are minnow for a reason.
The way things are going I wish "WE" meant Afghanistan, look up the last few ICC tournament games against them and tell me with a straight face that "WE" do not have any concerns.

Afghan Lions will roar! 🦁

Pakistan is going down in Chennai. That spin attack of Mujeeb, Rashid & Nabi is too much to handle for Babar, Iftikhar, Shafique, Saud, etc.

Get the pitchforks ready.
I would drop a useless middle order batsman for Noor Ahmed too

4 spinners will make Pakistan go absolutely crazy

I would drop a useless middle order batsman for Noor Ahmed too

4 spinners will make Pakistan go absolutely crazy
I have heard Noor ahmed have hyperhidrosis ( sweat problem) in palms, feet armpits etc. If any afghan here can confirm that?

With Pakistan regression this is actually becoming a rivalry good thing for AFG is that their bully Naseem is not playing, this fixture has all the intensity to match El Classico Derby D' Italia and blah blah.

Matter of concern for Pakistan wil be AFG spinners but need to stick with the approach they had in last game and let openers give a good start and play risk free cricket. Bat first should be the order of the day and be ready AfG will open with spinners.

If Pakistan lose this it will be a calamity! For AFG nothing to worry infact their confidence will be high after thrashing Eng.

Bring both in both for Saud (unfortunate) and Usama Mir.

One of Nawaz or Shadab should be in the playing 11.

Bowl the 10 overs between Ifti and Salman, as they will do just about a similar job to the regular spinners.

Usama is raw, whilst Shadab and Nawaz are way out of form.

Something like:
1. Abdullah
2. Imam
3. Babar
4. Rizwan
5. Agha
6. Zaman (play him as the finisher)
7. Ifthikhar
8. Nawaz/Shadab
9. Shaheen
10. Hassan
11. Rauf

Bolster the batting and make it even more deep.

Iftikhar should open he can't play spin to save his life its pointless him coming 7 down

If he can open and give us 20 ball 50 when the field is in the circle and pace is bowling it still will be a good start

Iftikhar should open he can't play spin to save his life its pointless him coming 7 down

If he can open and give us 20 ball 50 when the field is in the circle and pace is bowling it still will be a good start
Some teams will start with spinners.

Ifthikhar will only have a few overs at the end and not many teams will risk using a spinner in the final 7 overs or so.

All the close games I recall is when Pak chased. World Cup 2019, that one I was there in headingley and will never forget joy i felt in that thriller. And then Naseem shah’s heroics twice vs Afghanistan. So if Pak bat first I expect us to put up a good score and win comfortably. Although I imagine afghans will come out all guns blazing v Pak, but will also give chances. Boys will be fired up, can’t wait. Maybe this match is the spark to lift the boys up at the right time.

Don't worry cake boys will finally lose v Afghanistan. It's been coming.
No more naseem Shah to bail them out.

Tbf, Imam and saud will probably fancy the bowling.

Babar and rizzu will be bunnies though

Ps by imam fancy I mean, he can keep playing that backfoot shot for nudging against spin without any worry lol.

Afghanistan doesn't have the big tournament mentality. They just hope to notch a win or two and go home. Also way too inexperienced to pull off wins in big stages. They are going to mess up somewhere.

Noor ahmed in place of naveen should be change . Naveen would be milked by Pakistan

Former Pakistan fast bowler, Umar Gul shared his insights in anticipation of Pakistan's crucial ICC World Cup 2023 encounter against Afghanistan, in Chennai on Monday.

While talking to a local news channel, Gul acknowledged the amount of talent within the Pakistani team but stressed the importance of making meticulous plans. He underlined the need to learn from past mistakes and swiftly move forward.

"There is no place for making mistakes in a mega event, just learn from your mistakes and move on. There is a lot of talent in [this] Pakistani team, they need to make plans according to the [playing] conditions," Gul said.

Gul stated the Pakistani team possesses the necessary talent and ability to rebound and secure a spot in the final four.

"Yes, the national team has the required talent and capability to bounce back and qualify for the final four," he further added.

Gul also commented on Pakistan's bowling attack, mentioning the setback caused by Naseem Shah's injury.

"For the last few years, we have had a great bowling attack in Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf, and Naseem Shah, but Naseem's injury has affected us greatly," he said.

Former pacer further highlighted Shaheen Afridi's recent performance, where he took five wickets in a match. Additionally, he encouraged Haris Rauf to rediscover his best form

"However, taking five wickets in the last match would be a great confidence booster for Shaheen. Meanwhile, Rauf needs to get himself back and remember his best performances [as it will help him]," he added.

Talking about the playing conditions in India, particularly the pitches, Gul noted that they generally offer little assistance to bowlers. He emphasized the importance of adaptability and discipline, especially in terms of line and length, for bowlers in India.

"The wickets in India are not helpful for bowlers and the boundaries are small as well. A bowler who adjusts his line and length according to the conditions will succeed here. There is no margin for bowlers on Indian wickets, they cannot give room to the batters by bowling [outside the off stump], discipline is mandatory in India," he said.

Gul expressed confidence in Pakistan's capabilities, both in their bowling and batting departments, asserting that Pakistan is far from being a small team.

"No, Pakistan is not a small team, we have good, great players in bowling and batting, and there will not be any problem [in upcoming matches],"​

Regarding Pakistan's upcoming match against Afghanistan, Akhtar cautioned the team to take their neighbors seriously. He stressed on the spinning conditions of Chennai.

“Afghanistan is a strong team. If you want to save yourself from embarrassment... I'm not saying Afghanistan is a bad team, they are at par with Pakistan. Don't take them lightly. The match is in Chennai, the ball will turn. It's favourable conditions for Afghanistan. I'm sure Pakistan will pick their pieces up. Please go out there and play with your heart,”​

Afghanistan coach Trott hopeful of win against under-pressure Pakistan

Chennai: Head coach Jonathan Trott is hopeful Afghanistan can keep their World Cup campaign alive by pulling off a win against an under-pressure Pakistan, having come agonisingly close to defeating them earlier this year. The 42-year-old added that the passionate rivalry between the two teams, who are desperate to win, would make it an enthralling contest here on Monday.

"I think for them (Afghans), it's a rivalry that excites them. It's a rivalry that sometimes in the past has been very passionate," Trott said at the pre-match press conference on Sunday.

"But I'm sure we'll see an exciting game tomorrow. It's just the nature of the rivalry. And both teams respect each other but are very desperate to win," he added.

Pakistan had defeated Afghanistan 3-0 in a three-match ODI series in August with Babar Azam and Co. eking out a narrow one-wicket win in the second match.

"We've had an ODI series against them recently where we should have won a few games, (but) we didn't. So hopefully, we can put that right tomorrow."

Afghanistan play their second game at the Chepauk, the Hashmatullah Shahidi-led side fell to 149-run loss to New Zealand at the same venue on Wednesday.

"The pitch I'm not sure. Chennai is normally a good wicket. So, everybody's got to put in a good team performance if we want to beat the likes of a strong side like Pakistan."

In the game against New Zealand, the Afghan spinners failed to make an impact.

"With spinners, there are only two or three of them playing a game. And, it's the other eight as well that have to play the game, so that's important," Trott replied to a query from PTI.

"It's everybody's job. It's not just the spinners' job to win games. There are batters who've got to put runs on the board or chase down a total. Yes, the spinners are important and getting our selection is key for the fixture, but it's a team effort. There's no reliance on just spinners."

Afghanistan are at the bottom of the points table, having lost three of the four fixtures they have played. Their only victory came against defending champion England.

The game against Pakistan is a must-win of sorts for Afghanistan if they want to keep their fate in their own hands. A loss could mean they will have to rely on favourable results to stay in the semifinal race.

"Every game is a must-win game. This is a World Cup, and every game is important. So, I don't see the other matches just as more important as this," said Trott.

Pakistan is headed into the match having suffered back-to-back losses against hosts India and Australia. Trott asserted that his side would aim to exploit this situation against an under-pressure Pakistani side.

"We always look to put up put the opposition under pressure straight away, so we'll be looking to do that tomorrow, obviously. There's a lot of other things that come into the game with regards to the rivalry and the history of and the passion of everything."

"We know the Pakistan team will be very determined to win tomorrow and certainly want to sort of snap that losing streak of the two games," he signed off.

DeccanHerald​

Jonathan Trott during a press conference:

[Reporter:]

So going back to the England game, we saw your spinners, Rashid and Mujeeb, making quite an impact.

The spinners made quite an impact in that game and now you're in Chennai where the track is considered a spinners den. Also, you have been here and practicing for nearly a week now. So how confident are you that your spinners can pull off another upset against the Pakistan?

[Jonathan Trott:]

The thing is - with spinners, there are only two or three of them playing a game. And it's the other eight as well that have to play the game so that's important. So, it's everybody's job it's not just the spinners job to win games. There's batsmen who've got to put runs on the board or batsmen who've got to chase down a total. So yes, the spinners are important and getting our selection is key for the fixture but it's a team effort. There's no reliance on just spinners. There's seam bowlers as well who've got to bowl well and bowl well in whatever conditions we're confronted with.

How is a wicket like, there will be spinners for both sides? And you see most of the teams have been talking about sorting out Rashid Khan. I mean, you know, the last few matches he got only one wicket. So how is it like, you know, mental mindset for this game?

Sorry, you've asked a few questions here. Let me answer the first one. The pitch obviously, I'm not sure. Chennai is normally a good wicket. So, with regards to the mindset, it's important, as I said, the mindset we have there is that it's a team game. It's not just a spinners game they play. There's seamers and there's fielders as well. So, everybody's got to put in a good team performance if we want to beat the likes of a strong side like Pakistan. But we've had an ODI series against them recently where we should have won a few games. We didn't. So hopefully we can put that right tomorrow night.

You spoke about playing a recent series against Pakistan. And Azmat has also played a bit of PSL. So, I believe he's played with Peshawar under Babar’s captaincy so how much of that intel would sort of help you into this game?

It's not just the people who you have played with - it's a whole team's responsibility every time we play against an opposition to have a look and see what areas they are or how are we going to get them out in the future, if we face bowlers you know how we're going to be able to score runs against him or play against him in the future. It's not just one player, perhaps he's got a bit of inside info, he's practiced with them or sort of spent a bit of time off the field. I think it's the responsibility of everyone and us as coaches as well to come up with plans to execute tomorrow night.

do you think this is a must-win game for Afghanistan, the fifth match having lost three out of four?

Every game is a must-win game. This is a World Cup and every game is important. So, I don't see the other matches just as more important as this. There's a bit of rivalry as well with this game. So, I guarantee you, my side is very, very excited and looking forward to hopefully pulling away a win.

Before this World Cup, Pakistan Cricket Board requested ICC to shift the venue of Pakistan-Afghanistan match. Do you think this is weak link for Pakistan that they are fear about spin bowling of Afghanistan?

I didn't know about that but, as in I didn't know about them wanting to, I'm not sure about changing the venue, I have no idea about that, but I think, you know, Pakistan have got good spinners themselves. So, I don't, again, it's not a case of the spinners for me. It's a case of everyone doing their job. You know, when the ball's in the air, catching it. When the ball's on the ground, fielding it. And when you're batting, when you've got your bat in your hand, making sure that you're representing the side well and doing what the team needs you to do. And that's it at that situation.

Last match, Azmat took two wickets in one over but coming to Pakistan and Afghanistan both the teams have lost, Pakistan lost two and Afghanistan lost one in last two matches. Both will be trying to get points. So, it is a big challenge, do you think? And what you have learned from the failures of last match, the fielding, seven catches dropped, batting collapsed. So, you must have come with a new plan for this match.

Azmat took two wickets in one over. So, people were thinking that spin will be shining in this match. But the fast bowler were good too.

That's what I'm saying. So, it's not just about the spinners. Everyone's got a bowl well. Yeah, and obviously dropped catches don't help, especially when you win the toss and bowl first, you want to put the opposition under pressure. We had an opportunity to do that with New Zealand, and we had them, I think it was about 115 for four as well at one stage. You know, we let them get away. So, obviously the things you'd like to do differently, there's things you could do better, and we'll be looking tomorrow to do that.

You spoke about the rivalry between that exists between Afghanistan and Pakistan. Like, you've been with Afghanistan for a while. Could you just talk to the players, what does it feel like for this rivalry? Like, could you just explain in words, like, what does it mean for Afghanistan players about this new age rivalry?

I think for them it's a rivalry that excites them. I think it's a rivalry that sometimes in the past has been very passionate. We've seen Asia Cup clashes and matches that have been very exciting. No closer than the T20 Asia Cup last year where it went down with Pakistan won by one wicket.

So, we've had very close games as well. So, they've been very good, very interesting and exciting games. Hopefully tomorrow isn't very exciting and we win by a lot. But I'm sure we'll see an exciting game tomorrow. It's just the nature of the rivalry, I should say. And both teams, I think, respect each other, but are very desperate to win. So, I'm looking forward to it.

The two games where you were batting first, is there a sense of freedom when you are setting a target rather than chasing? And considering the quality of bowling attack, not only the spinners, even the paces have been fairly good. So, would you prefer to put a total, irrespective dew and things out of the equation and just focus on putting a runs on board and just use age old one day cricket, going back to the 90s, 2000s, put runs on board and then restrict the opposition on a pitch where it could become slow and your spinners are probably the best in the world.

Yeah, I think it's a valid point, I think. As you've seen throughout the World Cup, you know winning the toss doesn't necessarily mean that you've got an advantage in the game. So, it's about making sure whatever you do first, you put the opposition under pressure whatever you do first. So, if you're bowling first, you make sure you take your catches and you bowl accurately and you restrict them to a total you can chase. Irrespective of the pitch or the dew factors that come in.

So, we've got to play cricket well from the start. It's nothing to do with batting or bowling first. We've got to be better at the start. We saw against England we were good at the start and we managed to get a victory. Against New Zealand, we weren't that great and we put ourselves under pressure. So tomorrow, hopefully that turns around again.

Pakistan is coming to this match with two back-to-back defeats and both the defeats were for heaviest margins. So, do you think Afghanistan can exploit this situation for Pakistan and you know come harsh against them in this match?

We always look to put up put the opposition under pressure straight away so we'll be looking to do that tomorrow obviously. So, I don't think there's any thoughts with regards to their previous matches. I think when Afghanistan plays Pakistan, I think there's you know that a lot of form doesn't come into the game. There's a lot of other things that come into the game with regards to the rivalry and the history of and the passion of everything. So, we know the Pakistan team will be very determined to win tomorrow and certainly want to sort of snap that losing streak of the two games that you just mentioned.

But again, we want to win just as much as they do, so that should be good.​

Shaheen Afridi: We are eager to meet fans’ expectations

The Chennai chapter of Pakistan’s campaign in the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 begins on Monday when they play Afghanistan at MA Chidambaram Stadium. After Afghanistan, Pakistan will stay in the city to play South Africa on 27 October for their second and last match of the tournament here.

Pakistan, after four games, are fifth on the points table with two wins and as many losses. After following the tournament with remarkable wins over the Netherlands and Sri Lanka, which saw them make the record for the highest successful chase in the history of the tournament, Pakistan have had a few tough outings.

Pakistan are eager to leave Chennai 4-2 up and fast bowler Shaheen Afridi believes that learnings from the last two matches will help the side in the upcoming matches. “We are aware of the expectations from the team and we are eager to fulfil them,” he told PCB Digital ahead of the match against Afghanistan.

“A loss is a loss and we need to accept it. But, learning from it would be better for the team. These two matches were very important for us, but we are very much alive in the tournament. We are here to make history [by winning the World Cup].”

It will be Afghanistan’s second match on the trot here in Chennai. While the experience of playing New Zealand, albeit in a defeat, may help them, they are buoyed by a win over England.

Afghanistan, however, are yet to defeat Pakistan in One-Day Internationals. Does Shaheen expect the past record to have any say? “There is no room for complacency in a tournament like the World Cup as any team can beat anyone, something that we have seen so far. Afghanistan have been playing good cricket and they have recently defeated England. We will have to show up with the best skills against them. They have world-class spinners, but, thanks to Almighty, our batting unit has also been doing well.”

Chennai has a reputation for being a spin-friendly venue. So, what would be the role of Shaheen and his fellow pacers here? “There are many venues in India that favour spinners and Chennai is one such venue. As fast bowlers, our role is to make the most of the reverse swing on offer in the middle overs and in the latter stages of the game.”

Despite a solid opening partnership from centurions David Warner and Mitchell Marsh, Pakistan bowlers restricted Australia to 367 at Bengaluru, easily one of the highest-scoring venues. Shaheen bowled a tight spell upfront and returned to take five wickets to record his second five-wicket haul in as many iterations of the 50-over World Cup. The left-arm pacer finished with five for 54 from 10 overs in conditions tailor-made for batting.

“I was aware of the fact that it is a high-scoring venue and I was mentally prepared for it,” Shaheen said when asked about his bowling performance in the last match. “I tried different variations as you have to do to be successful on such pitches. So, bowling variations and pulling my length a little back helped me.

“It is very important to acclimatise as a bowler. It is not like I have done something new, but I have gotten used to the conditions here. You do not get that much swing in India as you do in England, Australia or New Zealand. There is not much bounce in the pitches here either, because of which we get to see high-scoring games here. So, being good in the field becomes of utmost importance as a couple of good catches or run outs can boost your team.

“Bowling in partnerships is also crucial. I had not picked up wickets before, but now that I have gotten them, I will look to carry momentum in the next games and give such performances that win us games.”

Shaheen could have had his first wicket of the match in his first spell had Usama Mir not put down Warner at mid-on. Reflecting on the catch, he said, “Dropping a catch is part of game. I think what is important is the effort and how much energy you put in when you are fielding and how much you enjoy it.

“It was his first game, no doubt, but sometimes such crucial catches are important. You cannot blame anyone because of one dropped catch. This is a team game and we win or lose as a team.

“What is important is that everyone continues to contribute for the team.”

Salman needs to come in but we might lose on net run rate if we drop nawab
Rizwan and shakeel need to swap positions as well
And we need to try afridi out at number 7

Imam during press conference:

You are a young man; you are active on social media as well. You score also – but your innings – they’re not getting converted to match winning innings. If I am not mistaken, you said that Shaheen has caught the evil eye.

Do you also have this problem or do you get overconfident when you play good innings – like last time you got 70 and then you couldn’t convert it into match winning innings?

[Imam-ul-Haq:]

See, all the batting I have done in the last few days, Alhamdulillah, Pakistan has won the match mostly. If you see my match winning innings, 90% of the matches I have won are like this. When you chase a 367, you never feel like you have to slow down your momentum.

So obviously you have to take risks. Unfortunately, yes, it is true that we are not getting big innings. I will say this for sure.

So, we are trying to get a big innings as soon as possible. And we try to play the batting that we get according to the situation and do our best for Pakistan.

How disappointed are you with the last two defeats? How confident are you that you will be in the semi-finals?

We have played 4 matches and we are 2-2. We are confident. We will accept that we did not play well in the last 2 matches. We will have to perform up to the mark. It matters a lot how you play on the given day. You can talk as much as you want. But it matters how you play on the day. We have talked about it. You will see a new team tomorrow in Chennai.

There are a lot of reactions in every press conference on execution. The team accepts it, the captain, or any player, that we made mistakes and we shouldn't have lost the match. But you guys know what's happening. Even Morgan said that our execution is not good. What are the factors that you think play-in on the ground mistakes and such mistakes that we are left behind in crucial matches.

Look, in all your team meetings, we talk about execution. When we practice, they do it because our practice is so good that our execution is good. And see, this is how cricket is played. There is no guarantee in life or cricket. We can practice as tough as we can. Management has given our players a lot of confidence. So, you have to believe in that and go into the match with that confidence.

Our execution is not happening, but after that we go again and try again and then we go to the ground. This is in our hands, this is controllable. The things that are out of our control, we cannot talk much about them and neither can we do it.

See, there are no such factors - we talk after the game. We know that we left some important catches in our fielding. We practice, we field and we depend on the individual. Same goes with batting and bowling. And then it depends on the individual, how they are thinking and what they are doing.

It will be difficult because we lost two matches by a large margin. Right now, we are not in the top 4 on the points table. So, it will be so challenging to have two defeats back to -back big margin defeats and then coming back and playing on such a condition where competitively your opponents can also get support due to the spin available in the conditions [pitch] like we have here.

And along with that, tell us that your 60s and 70s – you are not able to convert it to three figure numbers – how do you think you can improve this?

Yes of course when you have two back-to-back defeats your morale is definitely down, but that is life and that is cricket. Ups and downs are a part of life and cricket.

We always have a feeling of positivity in our camp, and we have backed everyone. Our players know that we have the ability to win the match on the day.

So now we just talk about tomorrow’s match, that we will win it and so that when we go from here our points will be 4-2 [if we win both matches in Chennai].

I have also spoken to my coaches about this – that since a long time my score is stuck at 70 – 80 since 6,7,8 matches. I spoke to my batting coach too, so hopefully this time I'm working on it and I will reach 3 figures.

Pakistan has very fond memories of playing in Chennai, Saeed Anwar 194 and then 1999 Test over here. Growing up, what were your memories of those Test matches, especially 1999?

To be honest, I have no memories because I don't remember, but the thing is, it's a great venue to be part of and really excited. And coming here to Chennai and…you just mentioned Saeed Anwar’s 194. It's a great thing that we came here and we are playing against Afghanistan. So really excited and looking forward to it

Okay you have won the first 3 matches, but after your performance in the Asia Cup – we had the best bowling line up of the world. But overall, what has happened to Pakistan’s bowling? Okay, in the home series against Australia you chased a score of 350 twice in a week – but right now what is the problem with our bowling?

See if you see here all matches are very high scoring. It is not that it is only against our team. If you look at the other teams also, they are scoring 350 – 360, like yesterday there was a score of 400 – so it’s not that only our bowlers are being beaten.

The grounds here are small, the wickets are good, and when the batsmen are set, the margin for the bowlers is very low.

This is not an excuse, but the conditions are such. And it's true that sometimes, there are ups and downs for the bowlers but Shaheen, like in the last match, I thought they would score 420 or 430, but our spinners and end bowlers performed very well and controlled them at 360. So, in patches our bowlers have done very well, Shaheen also done very well. So, these are a few positives and during the day you only look at the positives, we try to ignore the negatives because it is very important – we have back-to-back matches in this tournament. On the day we are bowling well – we have to back this.

I personally don't feel that this is not happening or that is not happening. Yes, on the day, often bad days come and I think we should back it

My question is from the bowling perspective. As far as the pacers are concerned, they have fired but we cannot say the same for the Pakistani spinners. Now, considering this tournament, as far as the venues are concerned this has been considered the most spin friendly track in the tournament. So, regarding your preparations for the upcoming game against Afghanistan or for the following game against South Africa Is there a chance that the preparations would be more spin focused?

It's just that I don't believe that now we have a chance to do any kind of more practice. It's just we are on the tournament and it's just about the top up. We don't have that much time. We have already done all the preparations and we have played against Afghanistan in Hambantota where we won 3-0 and they were also spin conditions batting and spin conditions venue, but the thing is it's just that -Yes this is a spin venue ground and we know that and the guys individually really depends how they practice and it's just that every individual has their own preparations and we really back, them we really back their ability and it's just that's how it is.

Right from 1979 when Asif Iqbal led the Pakistan team to Chennai, the teams’ over there have done very well in Chennai, they have won a lot of matches in Chennai. And even the crowd has supported Pakistan. Do you draw, does this team draw inspiration from that?

Obviously, when we came to Hyderabad, we all were getting, we get very good support. And as you mentioned, Chennai is a good venue for Pakistan in the history and we got good support and it's obviously it's inspiration for us and it's a great motivation and it's just - on the day really depends how you play cricket and we know that Afghanistan is a good side and especially in these conditions they can take you down but it's just we have the ability and we have done good things about against Afghanistan in the World Cup, in all those games. So, we're really backing our ability.

Imam, we have seen that in the last two or three matches, we don't see any intent in our power plays that our score is very low as compared to the other teams. So aren't we doing something like - we don't attack. If we compare the other team, they create a lot of pressure in 15-20 overs.

So what work is being done on this? Are we working on this? And secondly, since this is a spin-friendly track, can three spinners play here?

I will answer the second question first. I think it is a matter of the captain and coach how many spinners they take. I have no right in this.

And the first question - is that every team has its own way. Yes, we definitely talk about this. And as Ejaz [reporter] said- in 2 days we chased 350 in two – that is our pattern - many times earlier also we have chased a solid score, 350 or 360, we have chased many times before. Yesterday I was reading the record that we are second in chasing 350.

So obviously if we are doing something good, we chase 350.

So, to doubt on how we used to play before and how we playing now - every team has its own pattern on how to chase, we aim to build a foundation. It depends on whether you are chasing 350 or not. If we played 6-7 matches in the last, we chased 350 in 2 matches.

Just 2 matches back we chased 350 and in 10 overs we were 49/2. So, this is very important for you to see.

Pakistan have had a 100% success rate in Chennai [ODIs]. After two match losses you are going to play in Chennai. What is the strategy? Is there any changes in playing eleven?

It's just that I'm not the captain. Babar will decide if there's going to be any change. But the thing is, as you mentioned, that we have a very good record in Chennai. It's just that it will give us more motivation. And it's just that, yes, we lost two matches. But as a team, this is how it is. We are professional cricketers. And we know that, you know, Pakistan is a team, who always comes back and we have the ability. We know that it's just a giving on the day how you perform and we are really looking forward to it for tomorrow.

There's a lot of talk about the top order not hitting sixes. What is it? What is the secret behind hitting sixes at this level? And what's the process? Is that a mindset which you have to unlock? What is it?

Maybe we want to eat more proteins and not that much carbs, but it's just that there's nothing we want to talk about it. It's just we really don't feel it if we are not hitting six or not four, it's just that what are we doing for the team? And if we are winning matches - unfortunately last two matches we didn't play well and we accept it, but it's just that we have still five matches then we will go to semi-final but it's just that how you play how you prepare and that's really matters.

Chennai round will decide whether you stay in the competition or not. So, what how much is the pressure on the team and are the batters feeling an extra pressure because every day you are almost like obligated to score 350? Is that an extra sense of pressure for the batsmen in the team?

Look, yes, you really raise the point that these two matches will probably decide. But the thing is, it's a team game. It's not a batter's or it's a bowler's team. It's just that whatever - when we came to the dressing room, we know that if you're chasing 350 or 250, it's a team game, you know, and we really back our bowlers and it's not a pressure to be honest, we don't feel any kind of pressure. Yes, there will be some time when we lost two matches and the same there is a positivity in dugout and we are very looking forward to tomorrow's two match and when we will go to Kolkata, we will be four – two [if Pakistan wins both matches in Chennai].

Looking at all the matches, especially the last two, it began well but then the batting collapsed and the percentage of dot ball has increased.

In this situation, especially the spinners of Afghanistan have grabbed the match in the middle overs. So, that is a weak point and there is a dot ball percentage as well.

So, how are you looking at that?

You have faced the Afghanistan’s spinners previously. So, will there be any change in plan when you face them in these conditions?

You are absolutely right. Our start was very good in the last two matches. Our run rate was good in the first 20 to 25 overs. And we suddenly collapsed.

We talked about that. It's just that this is the time to back players. We discussed what we can change and what we can improve.

Of course, there are good spinners in Afghanistan who can bowl well in the middle overs. But as I mentioned, we had beaten them in Hambantota 3-0. Even there, the conditions were very spin friendly. So, we will back that and our ability.

In the end you have to play the ball. You don't have to play the bowler. So, it's just that you have to back your ability.

Big game for Pakistan hopefully the bat will do the talking, AFG spinners is a big threat team combination is also an issue for Paksitan with a nonexistent middle order hopefully Paksitan will play to.its potential and save the day against AFG

Until this team captain by a mentally weak and midget mentality captain we are not going far

We need to try and win by a big margin,
with the table getting crowded about the #4 spot even run counts now

Imad had no clue. What an interview. Should one cry or laugh. See he doesnt even think there is a problem with their approach.

Also what record is he on about?

Too much fake allrounders in our team disturb the whole combination. Same mistake we did in 2007 worldcup where we took 4-5 allrounders and we failed miserably

This is going to be a very close match but I will back our boys in green they have their backs to the wall they will come out hard and hopefully can come up with a win but it won't be easy I anticipate a good match let's go Pakistan

And so all attentions turn to this. Come on boys. Cornered... not Toothless.

Pakistan must bat first if they win the toss here. Afghanistan is a poor chasing side and they would be hard pressed to chase a par total.

If Afghans bat first and get a decent total however, Pakistan will be in big trouble considering how awful this team is vs spin. Kuldeep & Jadeja broke them vs India and Zampa broke them vs Australia.

Nawaz just continues to be wicketless match after match and Pakistan desperately need wickets in the middle overs. As much as I would hate to see Usama Mir again, I think it's more worth it going with Shadab & Usama in the match and if needed, splitting Shadab & Ifti overs.

Pakistan must bat first if they win the toss here. Afghanistan is a poor chasing side and they would be hard pressed to chase a par total.

If Afghans bat first and get a decent total however, Pakistan will be in big trouble considering how awful this team is vs spin. Kuldeep & Jadeja broke them vs India and Zampa broke them vs Australia.

Nawaz just continues to be wicketless match after match and Pakistan desperately need wickets in the middle overs. As much as I would hate to see Usama Mir again, I think it's more worth it going with Shadab & Usama in the match and if needed, splitting Shadab & Ifti overs.

We all know we'll be chasing either way.
Cos Afghanistan want to bat first and Babar is too dumb to realise chasing is tough in this WC.

So we are going unchanged hopefully the team will deliver, Chennai could be low and slow we need to tackle their spinners well, a rough wicket may also be good for our pace attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back