"If I decide to step down again, I'll announce it but for now, I haven't thought about it and the decision is up to PCB": Babar Azam

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Babar Azam (Pakistan Captain) post-match Press Conference - 16th June 2024

[Reporter:]

First of all, congratulations that you’ll finished the tournament on a winning note – but the question is that the situation of Pakistan Cricket Team – for any sport, the graph of any team keeps going up and down, that is not such a big deal, but for Pakistan team – it’s a very disappointing situation – what level do you see it at, the overall performance.

Secondly – you were made the captain, then it was taken back and then you were made the captain again. In this situation, after this performance, will you keep this captaincy or will you be at the behest of the board – that if they give you captaincy you will do it otherwise you will step down yourself.

[Babar Azam:]

As much as you'll are disappointed – we are more disappointed. We were not able to perform as our players. I think we did not play well as a team. It's not that we lost because of one person or he did this or that. As a team we lost. As a team we were not able to click. Sometimes we did well in bowling and we did not do well in batting. The pitches here – you saw that they helped the fast bowlers a little. But I think our batting did not click.

When the games were in our hands – we lost wickets because of which we lost two crucial matches. We were going ahead and the pressure was on the other team. But when you lose back-to-back wickets, you know the pressure builds. There are some dot balls where you have to build partnership. When the pressure builds, you take chances. Today, you saw that we were going easily, but then the back-to-back wickets fell. There was a little pressure and we took the game deep.

Secondly – about the captaincy – when I had left it, I thought that I shouldn’t be doing it now, that’s why I left it and I announced it myself.

Then when they gave it back to me, it was the decision of the PCB. When I go back, we will discuss all the things that happened here. And if I have to leave the captaincy, this decision, I will tell you openly. I will not announce anything behind the scenes. Whatever happens, will happen in front of you. But for now, I have not thought about it. The decision is of the PCB.

We did not perform well overall, that is why Pakistan is going home. But our batting has disappointed us a lot. Our batters are giving their wickets instead of giving them a good ball. So, did you understand why our batters are performing so badly?

See, until you stay on the wicket, don't build partnership, if you play more dot balls, you'll keep getting pressure. See, people will say this is an excuse, we have to take turns and build innings, build partnership. We did not have a wicket in hand and we were expecting the tail end to give us a big total. But the first 6 overs were crucial. In that, the more wicket we have the better – later on we had to execute. We missed that. We lost wickets in the first 6 overs and then in middle overs. I think you can say that we have given wickets in patches this way.

We are hearing that there is a lot of pressure on your captaincy. We are getting news from Lahore and sources are saying that there is a lot of pressure on you, after the World Cup we will have an inquiry on what performance you had overall. Do you think as a captain you take the responsibility of losing this tournament? If you are forced to leave the captaincy, will you leave it?

Sir, as I have said earlier, everyone is sad. As a team, we did not play. I told you that we did not lose this because of one person. We are losing as a team. I am not saying this because of one person. You are pointing out that because of the captain, I cannot play in every player's place. There are 11 players and each of them has a role. That's why they came here to play the World Cup. I think we as a team have not been able to apply, follow and finish things. We have to settle down and accept that we didn't play well as a team.

[Report:]

Imad Wasim and Mohammad Amir both came back from retirement for this tournament. And obviously there were ups and downs in the tournaments for everyone. But in today's match, Imad was 3 for 8, Amir was 2 for 11. So, you summarize, what do you think about their contribution? Today, the tournament is in their careers, because we don't know about the future. They have retired, don't know what will happen in the future. But in this tournament, give your assessment.

The contribution which they made was very good. Especially in spin bowling. Imad Wasim made a very good contribution. You can see it in the last matches and also in todays match. He used to give us the wickets we needed in the middle. We have bowled with new balls and old balls as well. It's their experience. They know how to bowl and execute the plan. I think today, in this tournament, bowling did a very good job. Bowling dominated. We lost in one match, but apart from that, we stuck the other teams to less than 130 runs. In the first match we chased 160, but I think the bowlers bowled very well. And when you have experience as a cricketer, you know how to bowl and how to take a wicket in difficult times.

The Pakistan team's performance is not good and there is criticism. When you do well, you are appreciated. When you don't do well, you should accept it. You are considered the king of Pakistan. But you admit that you are not in the knockout stage of three tournaments – the Asian Cup, World Cup and T20. The selection committee, captains and players are responsible for this failure. And the chairman is saying that this cricket board needs surgery. You have been the captain of the team for 5 years. Do you think that we need surgery? What mistakes are we making?

As you said earlier, we have played the Asia Cup final, the World Cup final, and the semi-final as well. But we were not able to finish. But we should also see that we have achieved those things. Unfortunately, we didn't achieve it this time. We didn't qualify. We accept it as a team. We are not saying that we don't accept it. I as a captain and as a team accept that we didn't play the same cricket. We couldn't perform the same way. The expectations that we had made of the team, the way our senior players were, we didn't execute. We couldn't deliver at different times. So, we accept that as a player and as a captain, I don't want to blame anyone. I don't want to point out that it's their fault. It's the fault of all the 15 players. We could not play like that. I am sad about it. We will sit and talk about it.

And second - We will go and sit and discuss with them. I will give my feedback – that is my responsibility as a captain to him and will see what will happen.

Yesterday Imad said that Pakistan cricket needs to decide how it wants to play. The biggest change should be in the mindset because they are playing with fear of failure. What do you think is the reason behind this? Is it the lack of consistency in selection? Or is it the emotional reaction of the public? Or why do they have fear of failure?

As far as you have given, the selection and I think 8-9 players are the same who have been playing for 4 years. They should not fear. All of them are the same players. They are being backed. They are being given opportunities. But as a player, you have to step up a little. Look- the mindset – the mindset should be how you want to play. Now you can't hit every ball, you can't hit a six on every ball, you can't even get a wicket on every ball. You need to assess the conditions, what's the demand here. If you follow that then - tell me how many matches have been played here and there's been outstanding batting? There's been a struggle, but you need to be proactive about what's required here. You need partnership, you need to bowl at good hard length. It's not that you follow a mindset. We have to think out of the box. Every player has to think. It's not that one person has to do it. Every player has to think because cricket has become very fast. With modern cricket -- You must have game awareness. You know that you have to take it deep here, you have to take a bit of weight. You know that the strike rate here is not like that – no matter how much you do, when the wicket is not in hand, you get pressure. You try to build the innings. I think it's about game awareness and common sense. What is required here.

When you played against Ireland in Dublin last month, you didn't do as well restricting their batting as you did today. What changed? Was it plans, tactics, conditions or was the performance just better?

I think the first six overs we are ahead we are taking two three wickets so pressure on Ireland, we are hitting Ball on the good areas, so if you take for six you take for a few wickets in first six over Then you have a pressure on other team.

You have played so much T20 cricket, for Pakistan, you play PSL also. Normally it’s a batsman dominated game but it has been completely different this tournament. What do you think, as a batsman should there be such wickets or not? Because like it happened here, the game was being beaten. Here, you all had to take a tough test. As a batsman, what do you think about these wickets?

Thank God you asked this question. I was expecting someone to ask this question. As far as pitches are concerned, there were no such pitches. In New York, you saw that the game was played on toss. I think the timing was a little too early. Because when you give a toss, every second team has bowled. And the bowler gets help. And here you don't have the idea of bounce because there is no consistent bounce. Sometimes the ball goes too high, sometimes it comes down. So as a batsman, you have to take a little bit of time and build your innings. You have to expect the same in the first six overs. Like you said, 80 runs, 70 runs, we are also waiting. Because here, the maximum score is 50 in two matches. The rest were under 40-35. I think we should have got better pitches.

And secondly, the weather was bad. I think the curator working very hard today and tried to get the match done, but it rained the day before. I think it was their effort that got the match done. We were expecting the outfield to be wet. I think the pitches should have been better. This tournament is supporting the bowlers. The friendly wicket should have been better.

Even though you all didn't make it to the next round, what are those emotions like for you, knowing that you all still have that heavy support?

When we are going everywhere, the support is still with us. I know our fan is a bit upset because we are not playing good cricket, but I think the way fans support us in all tournament thank you so much for support us, but sorry for that performance because we are not qualified and everyone expect that we are play good cricket.

Overall, in the areas where Pakistan team has lagged, play good cricket. As a captain, who do you think is responsible for the lack of players in your team? What do you think, who is responsible for this?

I can't say that it's the responsibility of the selection committee. I know the fans and the team are saddened by this. I am saying that it is not anyone's fault. We all made a mistake. We did not play well as a team but we couldn’t deliver.

We did well in patches, but we struggles in the middle orders. We all are disappointed, as much as all the fans are hurt, but still, I wouldn’t say it is the fault of any one person.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does not make sense to take captaincy away from Babar. We dont really have a choice other than Rizwan.

I suggest to drop the PCB chairman, Wahab Riaz and some other poisonous characters. Select players purely based on domestic performances. No parchi, no short cuts, simples.

It does not make sense to take captaincy away from Babar. We dont really have a choice other than Rizwan.

I suggest to drop the PCB chairman, Wahab Riaz and some other poisonous characters. Select players purely based on domestic performances. No parchi, no short cuts, simples.
We don't have a choice because the current captain doesn't have an idea about squad rotation, and domestic cricket captains are duds like Shadab who also need booted out.

PCB need to think 2 years down the line and appoint someone who can potentially lead us into the next WC even if they are raw at the moment.

Babar Azam is un-droppable. PCB cannot take away his captaincy, because then they would have to agree to everyone that they were wrong in taking Captaincy away from Shaheen and reinstating Babar.
Will Mohsin Naqvi do that? I dont think so. :afridi

ALso Babar loves captaincy a lot irrespective of whatever happens to the team. He is never going to resign.

(This is my personal opinion)

We don't have a choice because the current captain doesn't have an idea about squad rotation, and domestic cricket captains are duds like Shadab who also need booted out.

PCB need to think 2 years down the line and appoint someone who can potentially lead us into the next WC even if they are raw at the moment.
Do you have a suggestion for new captain?

Do you have a suggestion for new captain?
At this stage I'd advocate a complete rebuild for 2026.

I'd lean towards Abdullah Shafique or Saud Shakeel and put them under the wing of Gary Kirsten. I think Saud has captained at A level.

Expect to lose bilaterals but the focus on the next two years should be player development and team rotations to try new players that can contribute for the WC.

Babar has failed in 3 wcs. He doesn't deserve a 4th.

I'd lean towards Abdullah Shafique or Saud Shakeel and put them under the wing of Gary Kirsten. I think Saud has captained at A level.

Expect to lose bilaterals but the focus on the next two years should be player development and team rotations to try new players that can contribute for the WC.

Babar has always been a poor captain...

How about Mo Harris?
Didn't he captain us to that A team Asia cup win?

Babar has always been a poor captain...

How about Mo Harris?
Didn't he captain us to that A team Asia cup win?
I don't think he is in the good books of the PCB regime but is an option.

Basically anybody that can give us a fresh start away from the mess of the current Babar regime is a better contender than Babar.

Baba, usurped captaincy from Shaheen behind the scenes shamelessly and now is not accepting responsibility for the teams result. Misbah ul Haqs Besharam legacy continues.

Well if the choices are Abdullah Shafique (who is mentally weak) and Saud Shakeel (who plays just like Babar Azam but will command zero respect), then I would stick with Babar Azam. I agree he has lost 3 WCs, but it was not his choice to have Azam Khan in the team. We are forgetting that other people have been interfering with the squad.

Well if the choices are Abdullah Shafique (who is mentally weak) and Saud Shakeel (who plays just like Babar Azam but will command zero respect), then I would stick with Babar Azam. I agree he has lost 3 WCs, but it was not his choice to have Azam Khan in the team. We are forgetting that other people have been interfering with the squad.
The other two have the capability to develop a power game.

Babar sits patiently at the non striker end while tail enders hit boundaries. He has zero leadership qualities bro it's time dump him.

Shaan Masood with his experience of leading a star studded county team like Yorkshire across all formats and having Root, Malan, Barstow and Brook in the same dressing room should be the top contender as an all formats captain. Someone like Saud or Shafique can be groomed as a Vice Captain under Masood and Kirsten.

Babar should have the respect to stand down after such a failure .

Hes simply not captain material .

But so should the coach & chairman resign but they are all there for the clout & money , winning was never the first goal

Shaan Masood with his experience of leading a star studded county team like Yorkshire across all formats and having Root, Malan, Barstow and Brook in the same dressing room should be the top contender as an all formats captain. Someone like Saud or Shafique can be groomed as a Vice Captain under Masood and Kirsten.

Pakistan would be 20/2 after PP with these batters.

Time for Huraira to make his debut.

Shoaib Malik stated on a local sports program:

Question: What would you advise BA now?

"I think I would immediately resign from captaincy and focus on my cricket."

"This had happened with me when I was offered the captaincy again for a year around 2009-10, but I did not accept that offer because I just wanted to focus on my cricket. I am not just saying for the sake of it. His numbers [stats] also back this point of view."

"But I will even put those numbers as a secondary factor, because if there was any improvement in him, if he is good for the team and can be good for the country then definitely [as a leader] he should have continued."

"But there hasn't been even a little improvement in him. Captain is the one who gets the best out of players. He captained in 147 international games, has been leader in 6 major tournaments including three T20 World Cups, an ODI World Cup and two Asia Cups without winning anything. I am not making up these stats, this is what the records are telling us."

"On top of that, Babar has captained in 127 T20Is and ODIs and not once has he rested himself. This to me is a big question mark for me as far as Babar goes. And along the way if he has rested himself, that has been because the PCB asked him to do so - that was a series against Afghanistan and Shadab took over for that."

Secondly – about the captaincy – when I had left it, I thought that I shouldn’t be doing it now, that’s why I left it and I announced it myself.

Then when they gave it back to me, it was the decision of the PCB. When I go back, we will discuss all the things that happened here. And if I have to leave the captaincy, this decision, I will tell you openly. I will not announce anything behind the scenes. Whatever happens, will happen in front of you. But for now, I have not thought about it. The decision is of the PCB.

This is incorrect. He is misleading people and he knows it himself,

“when I had left it, I thought that I shouldn’t be doing it now, that’s why I left it and I announced it myself.”

That’s not true, you didn’t think about leaving captaincy. He was clearly told that he is going to be removed and only kept as the Test captain…he had no choice the way he is making it sound. The PCB gave him a respectable way out with a statement prepared for him to release 10 minutes after leaving ZA’s office.

Also, how did he think it’s ok to leave captaincy in Early December…only to think it’s ok to take it back after 1 T20 series outside of his absence as captain? What changed in 1 series having realised it was the right time to leave after 4 years?

I went and listened to what he had to say…it’s pretty clear that he’s going to step down now.

I feel like there is a fear in Babar’s limited mind that if he lets go of captaincy, he will also be dropped as a player.

Don’t think like that Babar. You’re good enough to play ODIs and Tests

T20s it’s debatable and he has upped his strike rate recently so on good batting surfaces I suspect he will play fine specially if pushed by the new captain.

Resigning would be better probably.

If Babar doesn't resign and Pakistan keeps on losing like this, it may get worse for him.

Resigning would be better probably.

If Babar doesn't resign and Pakistan keeps on losing like this, it may get worse for him.
It hasn’t panned out too badly for him I’d say. He’s failed over and over again over the last 5 years or so. It hasn’t hurt him, he’s just been given the captaincy without questions. Is he bothered? No. Is the pcb bothered? Probably not.

The circus will roll on. I hope I’m wrong

What’s Azam got to do with it? He hasn’t played in the last 3 games

I feel like there is a fear in Babar’s limited mind that if he lets go of captaincy, he will also be dropped as a player.

Don’t think like that Babar. You’re good enough to play ODIs and Tests

T20s it’s debatable and he has upped his strike rate recently so on good batting surfaces I suspect he will play fine specially if pushed by the new captain.

Babar hasn't really delivered as a batsman for a while. Can't remember the last knock he played to single handedly win a match for Pakistan.

Even as a regular player in Australia the likes of Cummins, Hazelwood, Marsh, Head made easy work of him. If he doesn't significantly improve his performance, he will find himself out of the side.

Selecting Shan Masood in T20 would be absolute madness. We already have two anchors, you want to add another?

Former Pakistan captain Shoaib Malik stated that if he was in Babar Azam's place he would have stepped down from the role of captaincy:

“I immediately would have resigned from the captaincy and directed all of my focus on my cricket. It happened to me once and I was offered the role again in 2009-10 but I did not accept the offer. The reason was simple, I just wanted to focus on my cricket so if I were in his place, I would have resigned immediately,”

“I am not just saying this, my argument is backed by Babar’s numbers as captain but I am willing to sideline the statistics if he shows improvement and plays well for the country and team then he should definitely continue as captain. But there is no improvement,”
Unfortunately for Malik, it didn't make a damn difference lol.

Shaheen Afridi was a better captain.
No he wasn’t he was clueless and if shaheen is bought back its pot kettle and black. Shahid Afridi was the main cause of any infighting in this team as well as Quran gate during his playing days. Shahid Afridi has shown us that no one from his family should be anywhere near the skipper’s position

The way accepted the captaincy back was kind of shamelessness in my view.
He should have thrown his support behind Shaheen at that time.
Now I am sure he has lost respect of everyone in the team.

But so should the coach & chairman resign but they are all there for the clout & money , winning was never the first goal
Why should a newly appointed and agitated coach should resign if captain is stupid enough to select his friends eleven?As it already came out in the news coach complained about it.its up to pcb now whether they want to continue this drama or not.

There are no great options in this current lot. They all got caught in infighting and clique culture, that's why they couldn't beat the USA and that's why they couldn't beat India despite being in a winning position for 35 overs. Infighting and stress aren't what you need going into a tournament, you need a unified locker room and everyone ready to do their job. When you're not unified, and I speak from experience, you will rely on other things to calm you down, in this case, that was a whole lot of eating and a whole lot of partying in the USA. The players needed their validation from the fans here rather than being able to lean on each other and that is a DANGEROUS position to be in.

It's ironic that Amir had the best performances overall when it mattered (aside from that frankly terrible super over), and Shaheen couldn't contribute until the next round was out of reach. He showed that he is a quality player in this tournament, shame that he decided to max out franchise cricket instead of continuing in the greens and leaving a much greater legacy.

Shan Masood isn't the answer either.

If I had to pick the best of this bunch, and assuming the PCB doesn't decide to return to Shaheen, I would go with Saud and blood an entirely new team for the next T20I tournament in two years. It's time to start planning for the next generation too.

There are no great options in this current lot. They all got caught in infighting and clique culture, that's why they couldn't beat the USA and that's why they couldn't beat India despite being in a winning position for 35 overs. Infighting and stress aren't what you need going into a tournament, you need a unified locker room and everyone ready to do their job. When you're not unified, and I speak from experience, you will rely on other things to calm you down, in this case, that was a whole lot of eating and a whole lot of partying in the USA. The players needed their validation from the fans here rather than being able to lean on each other and that is a DANGEROUS position to be in.

It's ironic that Amir had the best performances overall when it mattered (aside from that frankly terrible super over), and Shaheen couldn't contribute until the next round was out of reach. He showed that he is a quality player in this tournament, shame that he decided to max out franchise cricket instead of continuing in the greens and leaving a much greater legacy.

Shan Masood isn't the answer either.

If I had to pick the best of this bunch, and assuming the PCB doesn't decide to return to Shaheen, I would go with Saud and blood an entirely new team for the next T20I tournament in two years. It's time to start planning for the next generation too.

I would like to see the minutes of the selectors meeting when they recommended to the PCB chairman to offer the captaincy to Shaheen again. These people should be brutally kicked out of the PCB. Naqvi too is to be blamed for accepting their recommendation. Babar is also to blame for happily accepting the captaincy immediately without giving it a second thought, the PCB during the whole process didn't even take Shaheen into confidence.

Next t20 wc is in india.so pak should atleast think of players who can chase 200 or 220 plus and build the team.This is a good wakeup call in the format in which they are only interested

This guy does not have an iota of shame, Absolutely gutless captaincy, zero ownership, and at the end its all about the money and fame.

He loves the captaincy, he loves the fame, the attention, the security of his own place in the team and the money that comes with it. He feels insecure in anyone's else captaincy because deep down he knows he is simply not good enough to merit a place in the team because he is simply not a match winner. He also knows that not being the main man will mean he does not gets those attractive marketing contracts. He also knows that his only legacy is his PR and his stats because he has never achieved anything for Pakistan, the country, itself.

Babar stepped down as test captain for the tough tour of Australia. He reclaimed the T20 captaincy from Shaheen, who had led for just one series. Babar probably believed he would dominate against New Zealand C and Ireland, then have a decent WT20, anticipating that it would ultimately lead to his return as Test team captain. Unfortunately, things didn't pan out that way. Nonetheless, Babar did manage to break Brian Masaba's record.

Both India and Pakistan have their fair share of village idiots (which is natural at our economic levels), but India doesn't make the mistake of appointing one such as captain no matter how talented they are.

Pant and Jadeja, for example, are critical all-format players, but are hardly astute minds. It was obvious they weren't even fit to lead their IPL franchises (in Jadeja's case he was gone mid-season while Pant continues to flounder).

Pakistan should've gone with Rizwan. He's a useless but even that takes some smarts - which Babar lacks entirely.

Both India and Pakistan have their fair share of village idiots (which is natural at our economic levels), but India doesn't make the mistake of appointing one such as captain no matter how talented they are.

Pant and Jadeja, for example, are critical all-format players, but are hardly astute minds. It was obvious they weren't even fit to lead their IPL franchises (in Jadeja's case he was gone mid-season while Pant continues to flounder).

Pakistan should've gone with Rizwan. He's a useless but even that takes some smarts - which Babar lacks entirely.
With rizwan you'll burn your reviews in the first over

Knew that Babar will not resign. PCB will sack Azhar and Kristen to save face of Babar. Naqvi is similar power hungry like Babar. So both will stay. Pakistan cricket is finished just like Hockey and Squash. ICC should ban this political and dosti yaari team.

Apart from Rizwan, there is no other realistic choice and I don't even think he wants the captaincy.

Babar has to continue by default
We have Sarfraz, Shan, Imad and Saud who are all 100 times better than Babar and a 1000 times compared to Rizwan

Stop with this we have no other options. Their are plenty of guys who can do a much better job and take Pakistan forward

I see just two options here and both involve Babar being disposed off.

1. If PCB are risk averse, pick the best youngster who is guaranteed starter and back them for at least an year or two to lead the team

2. Shan masood: given he is dud with the bat but his field placings in the Australian series were very refreshing. These days babar is scoring run a ball 30s in t20s, i am pretty sure Shan can beat him for strike rate easily.

I see just two options here and both involve Babar being disposed off.

1. If PCB are risk averse, pick the best youngster who is guaranteed starter and back them for at least an year or two to lead the team

2. Shan masood: given he is dud with the bat but his field placings in the Australian series were very refreshing. These days babar is scoring run a ball 30s in t20s, i am pretty sure Shan can beat him for strike rate easily.
The only problem is. If Shan is made captain. He either has to bat 4 or one of Rizwan and Babar needs to get dropped.

Nowhere in that interview did Babar accept any personal responsibility. He repeats the line it's a collective failure, which's true, but Babar once again at a big event made negligible impact on the team's results with his batting.

"Pakistan's greatest ever batsman" couldn't dominate USA's bowling attack with its Silicon Valley engineers, or Ireland's weak attack where he hid behind the tail.

His captaincy was marginally better than before but it's the outcome that matters and Pakistan failed to qualify from the easiest group of the tournament. This staggering failure indelibly stains Babar's legacy regardless how desperately his fans seek other scapegoats. He's enjoyed more authority than any captain since Inzamam during a 4.5 year stint with zilch to show for it.

It takes a remarkable lack of self-correction to fail to win a single major tournament as a captain in U19s, domestic, PSL and for Pakistan. Babar's cyberforce hyped his leading of Peshawar Zalmi to 3rd place as if it were Steve Waugh and the 1999 World Cup !

The other thing that'll tarnish his legacy is his brazen betrayal of a loyal teammate who bowled himself into the ground for Babar. Thankfully that betrayal blew up in his face with the worst captaincy stint in Pakistan's T20I history. It doesn't get more embarrassing than:

- Drawing 2-2 vs New Zealand C at home.
- Shelling a T20 vs the weakest Ireland team of the modern era.
- Losing 2-0 to England.
- Group stage exit from a T20 World Cup.

That said I'll be delighted if Babar leaves the captaincy and excels as a batsman. Babar at least do one right thing for your nation and resign.

Why can no one in the media just ask him this one question.

What improvements did he make in that one series (NZ) after being sacked that he chose to come back?? That he deserved the captaincy after 1 month??

Good point. Sehwag and Yuvraj made muted noise and were easily India's best after Tendulkar. But they were no match when it was decided that Dhoni will be captain.

Less said about Pakistan anyway. I don't have the stamina now to critique this political player mafia who are too strong to handle.

We have Sarfraz, Shan, Imad and Saud who are all 100 times better than Babar and a 1000 times compared to Rizwan

Stop with this we have no other options. Their are plenty of guys who can do a much better job and take Pakistan forward

Shan Masood as captain is exactly what this Pakistan team needed in the 2022 and in this tournament.

Don't think so, Shan isn't t20 material and will cause problems.

Saud is a better bat and a better bet to captain mainly cause his free flow style can adjust to t20 and he has captaincy experience.

Shan has captaincy experience but he'll cause problems

Babar should be persisted with as captain but the following players should be permanently dropped & never selected again:

Shadab
Imad
Amir
Rauf
Iftikhar
Azam
Bobby was horrendous as captain in the USA game. Even in the other games while better at field selections he still makes the same mistake of having chacha as slip etc.

Also his own batting was horrible this tournament. A quality player doesn't need to be compared to crapola players like chacha and azam to justify his inclusion.

No one went to Butler and said he has to open because he's better then Alastair cook as a t20 opener. He opens cause he's best at utilising the PP.

Regardless babar will be dropped as captain. And won't ever return as captain now.

Babar, Shaheen, Rizwan, and Shadab are currently controlling top-level cricket in Pakistan. Regardless of their performance and the outcome of the matches, they do not take any blame nor try to correct themselves. They bring in their own backed players, who they believe will not surpass them, ensuring they feel superior all the time. This has significantly diminished the impact of domestic cricket. Why would any player participate in domestic cricket if they know they will not be selected for international matches? Kamran Ghulam, Sahibzada, Haris, and Amer Jamal were all automatic selections for the Pakistan national team but were dropped at the behest of this group.

Don't think so, Shan isn't t20 material and will cause problems.

Saud is a better bat and a better bet to captain mainly cause his free flow style can adjust to t20 and he has captaincy experience.

Shan has captaincy experience but he'll cause problems
I do agree that in a ideal world Shan wouldn’t be needed and we could have a truely destructive pair i.e Sharjeel and Fakhar

However with the damage Babar and his gang of 3 have done to Pakistan cricket we need a leader who will be able to balance both the sporting and political aspects of captaincy.

Just by that virtue Shan would be the best option as he has the connections to ensure he won’t be done dirty and can create a team which is conducive to modern day cricket

I do agree that in a ideal world Shan wouldn’t be needed and we could have a truely destructive pair i.e Sharjeel and Fakhar

However with the damage Babar and his gang of 3 have done to Pakistan cricket we need a leader who will be able to balance both the sporting and political aspects of captaincy.

Just by that virtue Shan would be the best option as he has the connections to ensure he won’t be done dirty and can create a team which is conducive to modern day cricket
Fair enough

Then be happy to see Babar retain another 10 years.

So Babar stayed as captain?

No Babar is gone for sure.

You are looking at a new setup

Never know, Shan may show up as captain!

Babar should be persisted with as captain but the following players should be permanently dropped & never selected again:

Shadab
Imad
Amir
Rauf
Iftikhar
Azam
You told earlier Pakistan team is finished. Then why we need changes? Only drop Amir. Imad and Abrar and bring Hasan Ali, Fahim and Nawaz. All can bat. Also we only have less than 2 years. So no need to experiment. There is no talent so persist with these player till 2028 at least.

No Babar is gone for sure.

You are looking at a new setup

Never know, Shan may show up as captain!
Can't trust this Naqvi. This guy is even worse than Zaka. Wasted players' fitness with army training. This guy claims big but deliver nothing. Also Babar is not willing to resign. Naqvi neither has will nor power to remove him.

And in Australia and Karachi Kings in PSL 2024. Oh wait.

As highlighted by Markhor, Babar's captaincy stint as T20I captain is certainly the worst of all-time:

- He drew against a very weak New Zealand C side at home.
- Lost a T20I gainst a poor Ireland team
- Lost 2-0 to England.
- Lost to USA which led to Pakistan's group stage exit in this tournament.

Apart from England, Pakistan are the better team on paper, so most of the blame has to lie with the substandard captaincy of Babar Azam. You can continue to be his spokesperson but you're not going to fool anyone. After this stint of his, even the blind can see that he's the worst captain in the history of T20I cricket.

Thank you to Peshawar Zalmi, including yourself, for all playing their part in securing Babar's reappointment as captain. Well done, you should give yourself a pat on the back and be proud of what your connections have done to this team.

As highlighted by Markhor, Babar's captaincy stint as T20I captain is certainly the worst of all-time:

- Lost 2-0 to England.

Apart from England, Pakistan are the better team on paper, so most of the blame has to lie with the substandard captaincy of Babar Azam. You can continue to be his spokesperson but you're not going to fool anyone. After this stint of his, even the blind can see that he's the worst captain in the history of T20I cricket.

Thank you to Peshawar Zalmi, including yourself, for all playing their part in securing Babar's reappointment as captain. Well done, you should give yourself a pat on the back and be proud of what your connections have done to this team.
This is the delusion most Pak fans have, sorry sir. Thats nowhere true. Pakistan players are good but only excellent in patches and we see it time and time again in major tournaments. Complete lack of consistency. Most unidimensional team among the major teams. Bowling looked good because they have been bowling on minefields of USA and still lost to USA by letting a minnow team score 159 , Which is the highest score leaked by a bowling unit in USA in the tournament by a major team. Just better than a crappy SL who rightly got kicked out too.

Babar is one of the mediocre captain, but Team has a skill problem plain and simple

1718628070685.png

This is the delusion most Pak fans have, sorry sir. Thats nowhere true. Pakistan players are good but only excellent in patches and we see it time and time again in major tournaments. Complete lack of consistency. Most unidimensional team among the major teams. Bowling looked good because they have been bowling on minefields of USA and still lost to USA by letting a minnow team score 159 , Which is the highest score leaked by a bowling unit in USA in the tournament by a major team. Just better than a crappy SL who rightly got kicked out too.

Babar is one of the mediocre captain, but Team has a skill problem plain and simple

View attachment 144576

You've misunderstood me.

The point I made was Pakistan are a better team than USA, Ireland and NZ C (in home conditions at least). It's obvious that no cricket team can function under Babar as their leader. This is evident by the fact that Babar has been nothing but a serial failure as captain of the U19, KK, PZ and Pakistan teams. He's won nothing during all these stints. He can't even win an Asia Cup nor has he been able to win a PSL with a strong PZ team.

Under his leadership, there have been numerous occasions, where Pakistan have been on top but have fumbled due to his substandard captaincy because he can't get bowling changes and field placings right.

- Lost 2-0 to England.

You make me laugh. If I was so influential that I could influence the reappointment of Babar as white ball captain, I would have blocked Imad and Amir from returning and I would have kicked Masood out from the Test side long ago.

I have zero connections. I just reacted to the same news and information that is accessible to everyone else but I was one step ahead which is why I correctly predicted his reappointment.

The team's dislike of Babar started in the ODI WC in India in 2023 where Babar ensured that He, Rizwan and Shaheen got the top A central contract from the PCB whereas all the other categories remained the same. The players felt badly let down and betrayed by Babar and when they confronted him on this, he responded authoritatively without concern, don't ask me, my agent negotiated our central contracts with the PCB, talk to your agent, i am not responsible.

It was madness by the PCB to re-appoint him as captain again just because of Javed Afridi's black mailing.

Back