If you could invite 5 cricketers (any generation) for dinner...

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Imagine this you and some of the best cricketers of all generations - sitting at a dinner table discussing the game we all love.

Who would you choose and why?

i would choose Gavaskar [technically the best opener in opinion of most] , Imran[charisma] , Warne[ he was a magician ] , Bradman[ need i say any thing ] & Sobers [ i have been told this guy at times partied & drank till 5 am on match days & yet performed] . I would like to also invite Tenduklar & Ambrose in case it is a dining table which seats 8 :)

Kallis (he is the greatest cricketer of all time, i want him to tell me how it feels like to be the greatest at something and remain so humble). Gilchrist (how did he get along playing with a bunch of prats, he was such a nice guy, a complete opposite to his team mates. I loved the integrity and honesty he brought to the game)
Viv (he's a legend)
Barry Richards (stylish player as they come, loved his aggressive batting too. I want to talk about the apartheid years and also give me South Africa's best eleven of all time)
Marshall (he was the best bowler i have ever seen)

Last edited:
Miggy , this is not fair . As the initiator of thread , you got to list your five with reasons too .

Re: If you could invite 5 cricketers (any generation) for dinner ..

Don
Warne
Hadlee
Imran
Viv

imran khan- would be fun as he explains things with those hand gestures.
bradman - just to know how did he do it?
zaheer abbas- it would be fun to see the asian bradman and the normal bradman together.
gary sobers- and start the who was the greatest all rounder talk. :p
wasim akram- seems like a fun guy.

imran khan- would be fun as he explains things with those hand gestures.
bradman - just to know how did he do it?
zaheer abbas- it would be fun to see the asian bradman and the normal bradman together.
gary sobers- and start the who was the greatest all rounder talk. :p
wasim akram- seems like a fun guy.

This.

Imran Khan - Leadership
Asif Iqbal - Sensible cricket conversation
Don Bradman - Do I need to give a reason?
WG Grace - Just to talk/ask about cricket in his era.

Above 4 are automatic choices......

then I'd have very tough time deciding about 5th between these players.... in alphabetical order;

Alvin Kallicharan - Class batsman & a true gentleman
Chandrashekhar - Class blower & a true gentleman
Fazal Mahmood - First of the two genuine cricketer of Pakistan.
Gary Sobers - Arguably the best all-rounder
Hanif Mohammad - First of the two genuine cricketer of Pakistan.
Jeff Thompson - Way too fast
Mike Brearly - The Art of Captaincy
Mohammad Irfan - Work ethics
Raul Dravid - Class batsman & a true gentleman
Vishwanath - Class batsman & a true gentleman

So I would invite all of the above. :)

..and yes, I will NOT invite Afridi, Sachin & Viv Richards! :D

Last edited:
I bet no one will invite Inzi & Moyo . Inzi sabka khana kha jayega & then these 2 will insist to every one that let us pray together :D

If you could invite 5 cricketers (any generation) for dinner ..

Salim Malik.
Hansie Cronje.
Azhar udin.
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne

Next round

Aamir Sohail
Sarfraz Nawaz
Rashid latif
Basit Ali
Tim May.

I would like to invite players in various capacities to have an all round discussion- a world class batsman, world class fast bowler, world class spinner, world class keeper, world class all rounder. I would have liked a sixth option to choose a world class captain.

world class batsman - Bradman/Sachin
world class fast bowler - Marshall/Hadlee
world class spinner - Warne/Murali
world class keeper - Gilchrist
world class all rounder - Sobers/Imran

Miggy , this is not fair . As the initiator of thread , you got to list your five with reasons too .

touche!

I would say

Imran, Sobers, Fazal Mahmood, Umar Akmal and Majid Khan!

Imagine what we would learn from them - !!!

Sir Donald Bradman, Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Charles Lara, Sir Vivian Richards, Shane Warne!

League of legends :)

Imran Khan - Leadership
Asif Iqbal - Sensible cricket conversation
Don Bradman - Do I need to give a reason?
WG Grace - Just to talk/ask about cricket in his era.

Above 4 are automatic choices......

then I'd have very tough time deciding about 5th between these players.... in alphabetical order;

Alvin Kallicharan - Class batsman & a true gentleman
Chandrashekhar - Class blower & a true gentleman
Fazal Mahmood - First of the two genuine cricketer of Pakistan.
Gary Sobers - Arguably the best all-rounder
Hanif Mohammad - First of the two genuine cricketer of Pakistan.
Jeff Thompson - Way too fast
Mike Brearly - The Art of Captaincy
Mohammad Irfan - Work ethics
Raul Dravid - Class batsman & a true gentleman
Vishwanath - Class batsman & a true gentleman

So I would invite all of the above. :)

..and yes, I will NOT invite Afridi, Sachin & Viv Richards! :D

What about Shoaib Malik?:p

Salim Malik.
Hansie Cronje.
Azhar udin.
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne

Next round

Aamir Sohail
Sarfraz Nawaz
Rashid latif
Basit Ali
Tim May.

Interesting convos

Sir Ravendra Jadeja
L Shiva Rama Krishnan
Misbah Ul Haq
D Ramdin
David Warner

:don --> Best batsman ever!
:imran --> Best all rounder ever!
:viv --> No one in the corner has swagger like us!
:wasim --> Best bowler ever!
:jm --> Pakistan's finest and arguably best batsman ever from SC!

Last edited:
Mansoor Ali khan Pataudi
Imran Khan
Sachin Tendulkar
Donald Bradman
Chris Gayle

Edit- DHONI ahead of all these.

Last edited:
DEV - Greatest athlete that has ever been on a cricket field
Imran - Top 5 greatest bowler of all time.
SRT - King of Kings enuff said..
Mcgrath - Greatest fast bowler I have ever seen.
Amarnath - Greatest batsmen of pace..

Last edited:
touche!

I would say

Imran, Sobers, Fazal Mahmood, Umar Akmal and Majid Khan!

Imagine what we would learn from them - !!!

I cannot believe you aspire to have dinner with chota Akmal . PP Alert,we have a closet Ukmal fan in Miggy :D

Hafeez Kardar
Fazal Mahmood
Malcolm Marshall
Steve Waugh
Mike Brearley

I cannot believe you aspire to have dinner with chota Akmal . PP Alert,we have a closet Ukmal fan in Miggy :D

Guess - I want to see what the older generation could tell Umar Akmal.

Also remember even Akmal may have something to teach older gens

In the words of Allama Iqbal

"Jawanon ko peeron ka Ustad Kar"

:)

Also worth thinking about the conversation that would take place amongst these people

Guess - I want to see what the older generation could tell Umar Akmal.

Also remember even Akmal may have something to teach older gens

In the words of Allama Iqbal

"Jawanon ko peeron ka Ustad Kar"

:)

Can you guess who said this ?
Mein aur mera khuda roz bhool jatey hein .....
Woh mere gunahoon ko aur mein uski rehmato ko :bow:

Bradman
Steyn
Warne
KP
Marshall

-----------
Bradman talking to KP will be interesting. Similarly, Steyn and Marshall. KP/Warne will ensure that talk is lively enough.

Well for me probably:

Fazal Mahmood
Abdul Hafeez Kardar
Garry Sobers
Imran Khan
Kapil Dev

What about having a team of players from different generations playing in same team sharing same dressing room? Imagine Imran and Botham playing for same team after all those issues...

Ellyse Perry from Australia......just one no one else...I don't think I need to provide any reasons

CB Fry to find out how he was so good at everything

Mike Brearley because he is the most intelligent cricketer ever

Phil Edmonds because he is the second most intelligent cricketer ever and would in any event have a massive argument with Brearley

Imran Khan to challenge my political understanding

Navjot Singh Sidhu because he would make everyone laugh and stop the Brearley-Edmonds row from turning into a punch-up.

Imran Farhat
Faisal Iqbal
Shoaib Malik
Hafeez
Misbah

I would invite them at home and make them sit for hours and hours and hours and hours in the name of cricket conversation without serving any food or drink. And then open the exit door n say goodbye it was nice talking to you.

Well for me probably:

Fazal Mahmood
Abdul Hafeez Kardar
Garry Sobers
Imran Khan
Kapil Dev

What about having a team of players from different generations playing in same team sharing same dressing room? Imagine Imran and Botham playing for same team after all those issues...

bro, mix it up ... 3 PK players - ghar ke logon mein hi daavat :moyo

imran farhat
faisal iqbal
shoaib malik
hafeez
misbah

i would invite them at home and make them sit for hours and hours and hours and hours in the name of cricket conversation without serving any food or drink. And then open the exit door n say goodbye it was nice talking to you.

:))) :))) :))) :)))

bro, mix it up ... 3 PK players - ghar ke logon mein hi daavat :moyo

It's so hard to exclude 2 of these 3 well fine i will invite Fazal and Kardar some other day to discuss those early days of Pakistan cricket.

So now 1 from each team:

Don Bradman
Garry Sobers
Imran Khan
Kapil Dev
Richard Hadlee

Imran Farhat
Faisal Iqbal
Shoaib Malik
Hafeez
Misbah

I would invite them at home and make them sit for hours and hours and hours and hours in the name of cricket conversation without serving any food or drink. And then open the exit door n say goodbye it was nice talking to you.

lol @ Khaleefa brother no words to explain...

Imran Farhat
Faisal Iqbal
Shoaib Malik
Hafeez
Misbah

You are a man of vengeance. :))):)))
Please give them at least water to drink. :))):)))

Nazar Muhammad : Ask him how was he able to bat so long and not score many.
Dennis Lille : How was he able to bowl with same agression n pace in faisalabad despite a flaccid pitch and patriotic umpiring
Sorav Ganguly : How was he able to change the mentality of a cricketing nation from under achievers to world beaters
Imran Khan : for galvanizing the fortunes/thoughts of the whole nation in almost all aspects
M Aamir : why? why? why?

Imran Farhat
Faisal Iqbal
Shoaib Malik
Hafeez
Misbah

:)))
no love for :kami? :yk

It's so hard to exclude 2 of these 3 well fine i will invite Fazal and Kardar some other day to discuss those early days of Pakistan cricket.

So now 1 from each team:

Don Bradman
Garry Sobers
Imran Khan
Kapil Dev
Richard Hadlee

bahot all rounders se yarana hei :D

ab aysee be koi baat nae itefaq samaj lo...

haha . there was this astounding song just now on a channel which was sung by Asha Bhonsle & it went some thing like this : zindagi itefaaq hei ,kal bhi itefaaq thi or aaj bhi itefaaq hei ............. loved it :)

On a serious note though, I would like to invite those who are humble and more easy to get social with in a non formal and sorta casual environment so everybody is at ease.

Hashim Amla will be one of them. He is a very good and down to earth guy with no attitude.
Muhammd Yusuf. Down to earth, no ego.
Then you have Imran Khan who has past his years of arrogance and ego, and now he has become an extremely easy and approachable person to have a totally awesome conversation with.
I will definitely invite Bob Woolmer. He knows desi environment and will easily fit in the Mehful
And finally I will invite Rashid Latif. He is a brutally honest person and talks straight. He sometimes may not be very articulate with his words and thus his statements are sometimes taken out of context and blown out of proportion but this guy is the only person I trust.

So my Mehful - e - sama will be,

Hashim Amla
Muhammad Yousuf
Imran Khan
Bob Woolmer
Rashid Lateef

I would have liked to invite Viv Richards as he is a big name with No ego but I don't see him gelling or fitting in that desi mahole with the touch of Woolmer who was also half desi.

haha . there was this astounding song just now on a channel which was sung by Asha Bhonsle & it went some thing like this : zindagi itefaaq hei ,kal bhi itefaaq thi or aaj bhi itefaaq hei ............. loved it :)

Yup nice song heared it too...

On a serious note though, I would like to invite those who are humble and more easy to get social with in a non formal and sorta casual environment so everybody is at ease.

Hashim Amla will be one of them. He is a very good and down to earth guy with no attitude.
Then you have Imran Khan who has past his years of arrogance and ego, and now he has become an extremely easy and approachable person to have a totally awesome conversation with.
I will definitely invite Bob Woolmer. He knows desi environment and will easily fit in the Mehful
And finally I will invite Rashid Latif. He is a brutally honest person and talks straight. He sometimes may not be very articulate with his words and thus his statements are sometimes taken out of context and blown out of proportion but this guy is the only person I trust.

Hashim Amla
Muhammad Yousuf
Imran Khan
Bob Woolmer
Rashid Lateef

I would have liked to invite Viv Richards as he is a big name with No ego but I don't see him gelling or fitting in that desi mahole with the touch of Woolmer who was also half desi.

Nice Mehfil-e-Sama please invite me too i want this honor to sit in your mehfil so that when i am old enough to tell stories to kids i will share it with them i was there in Khaleefa bro mehfil...

Last edited:

Hashim Amla
Muhammad Yousuf
Imran Khan
Bob Woolmer
Rashid Lateef

a very clam setting where everybody just talks and eats and leaves. :msd :misbah

Imran khan
Ian Botham
Shahid Afridi
Gautam Gambhir
Andre Nel

i am surprised nobody wants kohli at their party. he could be fun.

Kohli ke saath disc mein jayenge Sai - would actually take Dhoini, Jaddu,Dhawan & Warne along too [ Liz Hurley bhi aayegi shayad] :)

Victor Trumper- the wet track bully, an impossible batsman that seemed not so much play as conduct a game of cricket.

Amar Singh- died too early, so many unfinished stories, so many unkept promises.

Leslie George Hylton - the only Test cricketer hung for murder.

Bradman- no other reason than to confirm one story: did Montgomery actually try to tell him how to bat after his last, famous innings?

Blank: Empty spot for every lousy cricketer, not matter how bad, forget school or Uni, no matter if they did not qualify for even a game with their mates at the Pub down the street, just that they loved the game. This spot is especially for the lousy cricketer that can barely pick a bat or ball. In short, Saj or Miggy.

Last edited:
among players who played after 1995

:sachin - batting
:msd - captaincy & wicket-keeping
:warne - spin bowling
:wasim - fast bowling
:rhodes - fielding

all skills covered :D

Last edited:
From Pak

Shahid Afridi
Junaid Khan
Younus Khan
Imran Khan
Umar Gul

Reason : Just

In General

Rahul Dravid
Kevin Pieterson
Lance Kluesner
Shane Bond
Brett Lee

Reason : awesome cricketers

Last edited:
Majid and bazid are from lahore as is imran. Having khan in your name doesnt mean you are a pathan

I know their family history dear living in lahore doesn't mean you can't be Pathan Imran mother was from Tribal agency while his father was from Niazi tribe which is located in some tribal agencies and in Mianwali district.

Last edited:
5 cricketers and different personalities from different world and eras

WG Grace - Itd be great to have a chat with a larger than life personality and discuss cricket from over a 100 years ago

The Don - Just to pick the brains of the greatest batsman ever would be a honour

Geroge Headley - What it was like to be the first WI idol and play in a new WI team against the established cricketing nations

Sachin Tendulkar - So mahy questions? How he dealt with so much fame, how it affected his personal life, what are his cricketing motivations, what drives him to play so many matches and for so long at such a great level and how he kept his feet firmly on the ground for so many years in a cricketing mad country

Barry Richards - Itd be great to have his view about playing cricket in apartied south africa and his lack of intnl career. Does he carry any resentment or feelings of being wronged out of a potentially great cricketing career?

Last edited:
5 cricketers and different personalities from different world and eras

Sachin Tendulkar - So mahy questions? How he dealt with so much fame, how it affected his personal life, what are his cricketing motivations, what drives him to play so many matches and for so long at such a great level and how he kept his feet firmly on the ground for so many years in a cricketing mad country

i wonder about this ^ too Zaz . My friends Dad[ they live in Bombay] is a director in UTV & he has been to parties where SRT was present & they know each other basically , so he once arranged for my friend to meet him at a shoot . My friend says the Man has no airs,no nakhras & is very polite with every one . This part of his personality i find amazing ,being a superstar for so long, so rich [ his net worth is estimated to be slightly over 150 million $ ] & yet so humble & dedicated .

#1 Sreesanth

#2 Nel

#3 Symonds

#4 Harbhajan

#5 Hayden

And I'll sit back and watch the fireworks. Probably egg Symonds on when he gets bored too.

I would love to watch a debate among Imran, Ganguly, Tony Greig :)() , Vaughan (for the lulz), Sehwag for his blunt responses :))

I know their family history dear living in lahore doesn't mean you can't be Pathan Imran mother was from Tribal agency while his father was from Niazi tribe which is located in some tribal agencies and in Mianwali district.

Dear Mianwali is in Punjab geographically and Niazis arent true pathans. They speak punjabi or seraiki. Imran, Bazid or Majid dont know a word of pushto or persian for that matter.

SA Legends from the 70's ... Graeme Pollock, Barry Richards, Eddie Barlow (RIP), Mike Proctor and Hylton Ackerman (RIP)

They played against the Australians in the 70's and whipped them, except Ackerman. :) Ackerman was selected for the 1971 tour to Aus that was cancelled. His son went on to represent the Proteas.

These are the guys who I probably have the most respect for in Saffer cricket from the previous generation. :)

They would discuss when they beat the Australians 4-0. Disappointment of isolation. Kerry Packer vs county cricket. The rebel tours in the 80's. Who was better ... 70s team or 1999 Saffer ODI team or current test team? Choking in tournaments.

Dear Mianwali is in Punjab geographically and Niazis arent true pathans. They speak punjabi or seraiki. Imran, Bazid or Majid dont know a word of pushto or persian for that matter.

I know it's in Punjab but bordered with KPK cities like Bannu and Lucky Marwat and i have been there in Isah Khail(Minawali) many times they speak a mix language which is basically a mixture of Seriaki and Punjabi. It was actually not a part of Punjab before and although they don't speak Pakhto/Pashto but by blood they are still Pathan. It's like british born Pakistanis many of them can't speak urdu but by blood they are still Pakistani...

I know it's in Punjab but bordered with KPK cities like Bannu and Lucky Marwat and i have been there in Isah Khail(Minawali) many times they speak a mix language which is basically a mixture of Seriaki and Punjabi. It was actually not a part of Punjab before and although they don't speak Pakhto/Pashto but by blood they are still Pathan. It's like british born Pakistanis many of them can't speak urdu but by blood they are still Pakistani...

I m from nowshera, might know abt pathans a Lil bit more. When it comes to mianwali 10% are pushto speaking and that comes from the ahmedzai tribe there. The niazis don't speak pushto. They mostly dn call themselves as pathans. Imran basically calls himself a pathan from his mother side. Now misbah is a niazi too from mianwali, he doesn't call himself a pathan

Back