"Imran Khan told me those players [Javed Miandad, Zaheer Abbas etc] are indeed great but the quality we see in Babar Azam is incomparable": Basit Ali

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
In an interview, Basit Ali shared what Imran Khan said to him comparing Babar Azam to other greats of the game. He said:

"Today, I am sharing with you what Imran Khan told me for Babar Azam, After this people might start criticizing me as well but I am telling u the truth what he told me, he said: "Basit, a player like Babar Azam has never come to Pakistan before."

"I responded by mentioning Zaheer Abbas, Javed Miandad, Majid Khan, Saeed Anwar, Mohammad Yousuf, and Inzamam, saying that they were also great players. Imran Khan replied, "Basit, those players are indeed great but the quality we see in Babar Azam is incomparable."

"I countered by saying that Javed Miandad and Zaheer Abbas were world-beaters in their time so it's premature to say Babar is ahead. To this he responded, "Remember my words this young man will surpass them all."

"Trust me Imran Khan holds Babar Azam in high regard. You can also see this in his past interviews and one more thing it was Imran Khan who appointed Babar Azam as the captain of the Pakistan cricket team."

What do you guys think? Is Imran Khan right in comparing Babar Azam to such great players or is it an exaggeration to compare him to such big names?

Wouldn't trust a word from him. This rubbish player still blames Imran as he thinks he could have broken all the records. Seems like quite a few people from this region suffer from being deluded.

I doubt if Imran would say Babar better than JM!

He could have meant has potential to become etc

Basit's recollection seems a little iffy.

Basit Ali could get into trouble if anything he quoted to Imran Khan turns out to be incorrect. :D

I don't think, it's fair to compete player of different eras as the cricket has changed a lot in the last couple of decades, especially white-ball cricket.

Babar Azam isn’t close yet in Test cricket to being our best batsmen, but people massively overrate our LOI batsmen over the years.

It’s not like our past players like Inzamam and Yousuf set the world on fire in World Cups. Inzamam in particular has quite a poor World Cup record. The only ones who come close in ODI cricket are maybe Zaheer Abbas and Saed Anwar? They both have good career performances as well as good a good record in WC’s.

Babar in 2019 was also the most runs ever scored by a Pakistani batsmen in a single World Cup. Fakhar Zaman and Babar Azam already have eclipsed Inzamam and Yousuf in ODI.

Babar in 2019 was also the most runs ever scored by a Pakistani batsmen in a single World Cup. Fakhar Zaman and Babar Azam already have eclipsed Inzamam and Yousuf in ODI.
No they have not.

Fakhar is different. His competition is with Saeed Anwar.

Inzimam was an elite player of pressure. Regarded as one of the best in the business under pressure for most part of his career. There were so many times when Inzi kept his nerve to finish off a game, or hold an end to get his side out of trouble. Babar hasn’t played those types of innings for Pakistan, and Inzimam wasn’t playing his innings against fill in squads like Babar does for most parts of his career.

Anyone who has watched Inzimam play and Babar play can and should vouch Babar isn’t on Inzimam’s level.

Imran Khan is a bit of a cricket purist.

On a purely technical basis Babar is probably better than them all.

However he doesn't have the nous or grit to grind the opposition and put a heavy price on his wicket like Javed and Younis.

Nor can he really take the game to the opposition by absorbing pressure and then attacking like Inzimam, Zaheer and Saeed Anwar.

No they have not.

Inzimam was an elite player of pressure. Regarded as one of the best in the business under pressure for most part of his career. There were so many times when Inzi kept his nerve to finish off a game, or hold an end to get his side out of trouble. Babar hasn’t played those types of innings for Pakistan, and Inzimam wasn’t playing his innings against fill in squads like Babar does for most parts of his career.

Anyone who has watched Inzimam play and Babar play can and should vouch Babar isn’t on Inzimam’s level.
Inzamam played horribly in almost all of the World Cups he played in.

He was horrible in 2007 World Cup when we got knocked out by Ireland.

He was horrible in the 2006 Champion’s Trophy.

In 2003, he scored a grand total of 19 runs in 6 matches.

He was bad in the 1999 World Cup.

He didn’t even have that great of a World Cup in 1992. We just remember him for a couple of those legendary innings.

He was decent in 1996, although his numbers are massively boosted by not outs. He played good against England but failed against South Africa and India.

How are you elite in pressure situations if you failed in almost all of the World Cups you played?

No they have not.

Also Fakhar has way more match winning innings in tournaments than Yousuf and Inzamam combined already. If the discussion is our best ODI batsmen, then Fakhar should absolutely be compared with Inzamam and Yousuf.

That’s not to say Inzamam and Yousuf were not good batsmen, in Tests they were very very good. In ODIs, they also had their moments, but they let us down big time in tournaments.

Inzamam’s 2003 WC run is worse than any tournament Babar has played in. 19 runs in 6 innings is really really bad.

He didn’t even have that great of a World Cup in 1992. We just remember him for a couple of those legendary innings.

He was decent in 1996, although his numbers are massively boosted by not outs. He played good against England but failed against South Africa and India.

How are you elite in pressure situations if you failed in almost all of the World Cups you played?
I didnt know Inzy's reocord was that bad. You make a good point, you earn your status in World Cups. But I would say Inzy record in test matches and under pressure surpasses Babar's record by a long way.

This is a case of looking at historic cricket with today's lens. Back in those days bilateral series were tough duels, the tri series cups etc were a big deal and were almost on par with world cups.

It's only now we over elevate the status of world cups and that's because bilaterals have been dead for a while.

If Babar and this lot of players has played in the epic duels of the past they would have wilted under pressure.

Babar is a fine player but he doesn't hold a candle to Inzimam. When Inzimam was batting we would think that we can still win the game because of him. When Babar is batting we think that maybe we can win if he sticks around holds up one end and another player plays a cameo.

There is a huge difference in statues.

all the technical gifts in the world wouldnt make up for being a serial bottler (so far) in important tournaments and series. that's before you actually get into the nitty gritty of him actually being average against top quality spin, and not having the mental application to score big daddy hundreds.

top players win you tournaments, and tests. babar has rarely dont that. the psychophanitc fandom around him has gone to his head, like it does for most pak players. apart from his 190 odd against aus he has no big big innings, and JM had pbly more doubles than babar has 150s.

hes better than zaheer abbas in tests tho. in terms of atg pak test batsmen its jm, yk, inzi, moyo and saeed. babar is tier 2 in paks atg test rankings imo.

I didnt know Inzy's reocord was that bad. You make a good point, you earn your status in World Cups. But I would say Inzy record in test matches and under pressure surpasses Babar's record by a long way.
Yeah he was a great Test batsmen, which counts for much more than ODI performances IMO. Babar has a long way to go to get close to him in Test cricket.

The truth is we have always struggled to produce good LOI batsmen, it was our bowling that kept us competitive. Although, I think Saed Anwar and Zaheer Abbas were world class in ODIs.

Also Fakhar has way more match winning innings in tournaments than Yousuf and Inzamam combined already. If the discussion is our best ODI batsmen, then Fakhar should absolutely be compared with Inzamam and Yousuf.

That’s not to say Inzamam and Yousuf were not good batsmen, in Tests they were very very good. In ODIs, they also had their moments, but they let us down big time in tournaments.

Inzamam’s 2003 WC run is worse than any tournament Babar has played in. 19 runs in 6 innings is really really bad.
Tournament cricket isn’t the end all.

Inzimam and Yousuf were playing bilateral cricket when there was no IPL or leagues for which players were not available to represent their national team. I remember back then, bilateral series or tri-angular series were quite awesome too. Especially the India v Pakistan home and away tours. Pakistan v England games were thoroughly enjoyable too. Great cricket was played in those series, the away VB series was always a great contest facing McGrath and Lee. Really challenging. Playing the great SA quicks Pollock and Ntini, great challenge there too.

Babar is a great number 3 in ODIs but he isn’t on that clutch level class of Inzimam, I can assure you of this. Yes Babar averages 57 and has 19 tons, but you have had to see Inzimam and Yousuf play regularly and the competition at the time to understand their level in comparison to Babar.

The only guys better than Inzimam in that 2000-07 era was Ponting, Dravid, Lara, Kallis in those middle order positions.

Yousuf v Dravid is a good comparison too but I think Dravid was better personally. Yousuf v Damien Martyn was also a great comparison. Not really sure who is better but I think Yousuf takes this one.

This is a case of looking at historic cricket with today's lens. Back in those days bilateral series were tough duels, the tri series cups etc were a big deal and were almost on par with world cups.

It's only now we over elevate the status of world cups and that's because bilaterals have been dead for a while.

If Babar and this lot of players has played in the epic duels of the past they would have wilted under pressure.

Babar is a fine player but he doesn't hold a candle to Inzimam. When Inzimam was batting we would think that we can still win the game because of him. When Babar is batting we think that maybe we can win if he sticks around holds up one end and another player plays a cameo.

There is a huge difference in statues.
I think after 1992, World Cups have always been a very big deal. I still remember how horrible it felt to lose to Ireland in 2007. Inzamam is a legendary batsmen because of his Test cricket performances in my opinion, but he was never that good in ODI.

Bro, aside from New Zealand, there isn’t a single team Inzamam averaged more than 32 against. I remember always having high hopes for him and being let down on many occasions.

He was good in 1994-1996, other than that he never lived up to the talent he had in ODIs.

Tournament cricket isn’t the end all.

Inzimam and Yousuf were playing bilateral cricket when there was no IPL or leagues for which players were not available to represent their national team. I remember back then, bilateral series or tri-angular series were quite awesome too. Especially the India v Pakistan home and away tours. Pakistan v England games were thoroughly enjoyable too. Great cricket was played in those series, the away VB series was always a great contest facing McGrath and Lee. Really challenging. Playing the great SA quicks Pollock and Ntini, great challenge there too.

Babar is a great number 3 in ODIs but he isn’t on that clutch level class of Inzimam, I can assure you of this. Yes Babar averages 57 and has 19 tons, but you have had to see Inzimam and Yousuf play regularly and the competition at the time to understand their level in comparison to Babar.

The only guys better than Inzimam in that 2000-07 era was Ponting, Dravid, Lara, Kallis in those middle order positions.

Yousuf v Dravid is a good comparison too but I think Dravid was better personally. Yousuf v Damien Martyn was also a great comparison. Not really sure who is better but I think Yousuf takes this one.
I agree with most of the points you made.

It is true that back then, bilateral and trilateral series were worth much more while today they are mostly meaningless. We also used to have much more fun random sort of series/tournaments. Does anyone remember the 2001 Knockout Cup in Kenya? New Zealand barely managed to beat India in the final off of an amazing 100 by Chris Cairns.

I was a big fan of Inzamam back in the day, I just always felt he never lived up to what he was capable of in the shorter format. Out of the players you listed, I think Ponting, Lara, and Kallis were miles ahead. Dravid is a fair comparison but also Dravid lifted his performances up in World Cups. I think Dravid was much better in both 1999 and in 2003 than Inzamam was.

For me, Inzamam is probably ahead of Babar but that is because I rate Test performances much more highly than LOI performances and Inzamam has a more accomplished Test career.

I think for me judging a player is like 60% Test, 30% ODI, 10% T20.

Babar Azam isn’t close yet in Test cricket to being our best batsmen, but people massively overrate our LOI batsmen over the years.

It’s not like our past players like Inzamam and Yousuf set the world on fire in World Cups. Inzamam in particular has quite a poor World Cup record. The only ones who come close in ODI cricket are maybe Zaheer Abbas and Saed Anwar? They both have good career performances as well as good a good record in WC’s.

That is complete hocus.

Babar plays in a 2 ball era with easier PP rules, an era in which every single Indian great claimed that Sachin would have had 100 centuries in ODI alone in this era. Kohli scores 100's like pies now.

Imam has better stats then inzimam in this era lol.

2019 is an easy era, ever since the rise of t20, odi eulws have been modified to become an extension of t20 where 300 nowadays is only considered a par score and something not to difficult to chase.

They changed the rules as ever since t20 came, people found the odi game post 25 overs to be boring, as the white ball would start behaving like the red ball, and would be moving miles, the older ball also just made it difficult to hit and timing was key, Now adayas miss hits go for sixes?

Babar azam would be averaging in the 20's if he played in the yousaf or inzi era. You have no clue what you're on about.

As for fakhar, Fakhar would struggle even more and this is coming from someone who's claimed falhar is our best batsmen onsong and that when onsong his left foot is superior to Bobby's entire career. Fakhar was atrocious in test against weak bowling, As an opener, when onsong he may have been able to pull rapid fire 50's and a 100 here and their but he'd become useless after over 25 in that era.

That is complete hocus.

Babar plays in a 2 ball era with easier PP rules, an era in which every single Indian great claimed that Sachin would have had 100 centuries in ODI alone in this era. Kohli scores 100's like pies now.

Imam has better stats then inzimam in this era lol.

2019 is an easy era, ever since the rise of t20, odi eulws have been modified to become an extension of t20 where 300 nowadays is only considered a par score and something not to difficult to chase.

They changed the rules as ever since t20 came, people found the odi game post 25 overs to be boring, as the white ball would start behaving like the red ball, and would be moving miles, the older ball also just made it difficult to hit and timing was key, Now adayas miss hits go for sixes?

Babar azam would be averaging in the 20's if he played in the yousaf or inzi era. You have no clue what you're on about.

As for fakhar, Fakhar would struggle even more and this is coming from someone who's claimed falhar is our best batsmen onsong and that when onsong his left foot is superior to Bobby's entire career. Fakhar was atrocious in test against weak bowling, As an opener, when onsong he may have been able to pull rapid fire 50's and a 100 here and their but he'd become useless after over 25 in that era.
To be honest, I don’t think you watched cricket back then.

You don’t understand how much Inzamam used to let everyone down when it came time for tournaments. All these numbers about how Babar would have performed back then or how Fakhar would have are completely made up. Inzamam did not play 50 years ago, his last ODI match was only 8 years before Babar debuted.

In tournaments Inzamam also failed against weak attacks like Scotland, Ireland, Namibia, and Zimbabwe. Literally the only team he would ever consistently perform against was New Zealand.
You have no clue what you’re talking about. Batsmen are way more creative and explosive than they’ve ever been. Do you really think all of the batsmen back then were better? Kohli averages 58 in the current day, do you really think he’d average in the 30’s back then?

I don’t think you watched cricket back in that time so I think you’re just glorifying an era you never saw. Back then, some teams had good attacks but some teams also had quite weak attacks.

To be honest, I don’t think you watched cricket back then.

You don’t understand how much Inzamam used to let everyone down when it came time for tournaments. All these numbers about how Babar would have performed back then or how Fakhar would have are completely made up. Inzamam did not play 50 years ago, his last ODI match was only 8 years before Babar debuted.

In tournaments Inzamam also failed against weak attacks like Scotland, Ireland, Namibia, and Zimbabwe. Literally the only team he would ever consistently perform against was New Zealand.

You have no clue what you’re talking about. Batsmen are way more creative and explosive than they’ve ever been. Do you really think all of the batsmen back then were better? Kohli averages 58 in the current day, do you really think he’d average in the 30’s back then?

I don’t think you watched cricket back in that time so I think you’re just glorifying an era you never saw. Back then, some teams had good attacks but some teams also had quite weak attacks.
It doesn't matter what I watched or didn't watch you have no clue about the rules established and what they were back then and what they are now.

The new rules were established post 2011.

Kohli would be averaging in the lower 40's, around 41 same as pointing.

Secondly 30's was a great avg back then, santh jaysuria averages 35, but no one interested right mind would claim babar is better then jaysuria

Batsmen are more explosive as the rules allow it.

First understand the rules and read all interviews related to kohli and Sachin during the wc and then we'll talk. It's clear you don't have a clue what you're talking about hence you ignored all my points.

Babar plays in a 2 ball era with easier PP rules
s the white ball would start behaving like the red ball
Also you realize before the 2 new ball rule, the ball used to be changed with a new ball at the 34th over mark right?

The white paint on the balls used to start marching the color of the soil and no one used to be able to see it in the crowd so the ball was always changed with a 2nd ball at the 34th over mark. Also when they became older, they used to spin and swing way less. They went completely out of shape. Back then, very few teams utilized reverse swing, Pakistan was one of the few especially in ODIs.

It doesn't matter what I watched or didn't watch you have no clue about the rules established and what they were back then and what they are now.

The new rules were established post 2011.

Secondly 30's was a great avg back then, santh jaysuria averages 35, but no one interested right mind would claim babar is better then jaysuria

Batsmen are more explosive as the rules allow it.

First understand the rules and read all interviews related to kohli and Sachin during the wc and then we'll talk. It's clear you don't have a clue what you're talking about hence you ignored all my points.
Bro you don’t know the rules, you don’t even know why the 2 new ball rule happened or how the old ball used to play. Please go ahead and list the attacks that used to reverse swing the ball in ODIs. I’ll wait. The ICC mandated the ball be changed at the 34th over mark with a newer one because the ball used to go out of shape, match the color of the soil, and not spin or swing at all. It used to be complete mess and so the ICC already had you use a 2nd ball around the 34th over mark.

It’s clear you didn’t watch cricket back then.

Then how come you said Kohli was GOAT tier? There were tons and tons of batsmen averaging 40 back then.

I guess Inzamam would not have survived in the 80s then when the average run rate was even lower. I guess the 80s batsmen would not have survived in the 70s when the average of batsmen was even lower still.

So really I guess the GOATs are the batsmen from the 70s?

Then how come you said Kohli was GOAT tier? There were tons and tons of batsmen averaging 40 back then.

I guess Inzamam would not have survived in the 80s then when the average run rate was even lower. I guess the 80s batsmen would not have survived in the 70s when the average of batsmen was even lower still.

So really I guess the GOATs are the batsmen from the 70s?
Kohli's avg isn't what makes him a goat. It's his ability to chase and bat according to the RR which makes him a match winner.

No one on the planet has ever been able to do what he does. Whenever kohli is on the crease you know you need to get him out as he'll usually chase something down, due to his ability to play according to RR requirements which is NOT an easy thing to do, Even many ATG's have struggled to do so consistently.

In terms of batting potential, he's of the same caliber as pointing but unlike pointing he's more dangerous due to his ability to RR maintaince.

Don't Strawman, you know I never claimed or even remotely applied anything that you just said.

Averages and stats have and always will be the most bogus argument you can make when discussing a player lol

Here are Inzzy's numbers in ODI format

• World Cup 35 matches - Avg 23
  • Tournament Finals ( includes all tri series) - 35 matches - Avg 29
  • Against best team( Aus ) his era 34 matches - 31
  • Against 2nd best team ( SA) of his era 37 matches - avg 30

Inzzy was good in the test format and not really good in ODI format. Horrible in WC, horrible in finals, bang average against the best two teams --- all with a very large sample size of 30-40 matches.

I don't have opinion on Inzzy vs Babar in ODI format yet. I will wait for Babar to finish his career.

In test, Babar is no where close to Inzzy and I doubt he will ever get there. Inzzy was failure agasint Aus/SA in test as well, but he was much better in the test format. Babar has like 1-2 test tons away from home so far. He does not even belong in discussion with Inzzy when it comes to test format.

Kohli's avg isn't what makes him a goat. It's his ability to chase and bat according to the RR which makes him a match winner.

No one on the planet has ever been able to do what he does. Whenever kohli is on the crease you know you need to get him out as he'll usually chase something down, due to his ability to play according to RR requirements which is NOT an easy thing to do, Even many ATG's have struggled to do so consistently.

In terms of batting potential, he's of the same caliber as pointing but unlike pointing he's more dangerous due to his ability to RR maintaince.

Don't Strawman, you know I never claimed or even remotely applied anything that you just said.

Averages and stats have and always will be the most bogus argument you can make when discussing a player lol
You’re the one who said Babar would average in the 20s back then.

By your logic would Inzamam have averaged in the 60s in this era? Yousuf too? Younis Khan too?

Also even if you don’t include “stats”, Inzamam failed in almost every tournament in the 2000s, including in 2003 and 2007. His 2003 World Cup was literally one of the worst World Cups ever by a star middle order batsmen. He got 19 runs in 6 innings.

I guess if the 2000s were so difficult MS Dohni is the greatest batsmen of all time because he averages in the 50s at a 90 SR in the 2000s while Inzamam was failing badly. Dohni also has tons of clutch and legendary innings.

You’re the one who said Babar would average in the 20s back then.

By your logic would Inzamam have averaged in the 60s in this era? Yousuf too? Younis Khan too?

Also even if you don’t include “stats”, Inzamam failed in almost every tournament in the 2000s, including in 2003 and 2007. His 2003 World Cup was literally one of the worst World Cups ever by a star middle order batsmen. He got 19 runs in 6 innings.

I guess if the 2000s were so difficult MS Dohni is the greatest batsmen of all time because he averages in the 50s at a 90 SR in the 2000s while Inzamam was failing badly. Dohni also has tons of clutch and legendary innings.
Inzi with the same atrocious bowling Bobby has faced would 100% avg 60 😂.

Babar's average fell last year the moment he faced proper bowling. 2022 till 2023, he's been consistently poor.

His best days of 2019-2021 remain though.

I don't think you know how weak d string Australia and c string sa bowling was allowing Bobby to smash that 49 ball 100

Inzi with the same atrocious bowling Bobby has faced would 100% avg 60 😂.

Babar's average fell last year the moment he faced proper bowling. 2022 till 2023, he's been consistently poor.

His best days of 2019-2021 remain though.

I don't think you know how weak d string Australia and c string sa bowling was allowing Bobby to smash that 49 ball 100
Bro Inzamam in tournaments failed against Scotland, Ireland, Namibia, and Zimbabwe.

You sound like the 70s basketball fans who say that NBA players from today couldn’t make it back then because they were “tougher even though athletes today are stronger, faster, more athletic, and more skilled.

Bro Inzamam in tournaments failed against Scotland, Ireland, Namibia, and Zimbabwe.

You sound like the 70s basketball fans who say that NBA players from today couldn’t make it back then because they were “tougher even though athletes today are stronger, faster, more athletic, and more skilled.
The basket ball thing got me 😂. Good one. ❤️.

From 1990 to 2009 - Only two batsmen averaged 50 plus with 5K runs. Bevan and Dhoni, two ATG who will be serious contender for spot in all time XI.

From 2010 onwards, we have 8-10 batsmen averaging 50 plus with 5K runs.

Difference is manily due to ODI game evolving and many changes in ODI rules. Raw numbers are hard to compare across eras in ODI format.

The basket ball thing got me 😂. Good one. ❤️.
Bro imagine if they sent ABD back to the 70s. They would think he was practicing black magic or something with some of his shots.

I think overall Test batting form has gone down overtime because techniques are less focused on defense. If you actually look at the overall bowling numbers, the last 5 or so years has been one of the best era for bowlers in Test cricket history. More times of bowlers taking 20 wickets in a match, lower bowler strikers, more bowlers with under 25 average than anytime in history, etc.

I think this is because Test technique has declined, but also because some of these pitches are way more sporting than they used to be. The last few home games in Pakistan remind me of some of the pitches in the past.

On the other hand, in LOI, I think players are more attacking and creative than ever. More runs are being scored per match than any era. Also more ways to score than ever before. Back then scoop shots, no look shots, etc were rare or non existent. Even if you look at just the first 10 overs, where the ball is new currently and also before the 2 new ball rule, batsmen are still scoring more against the brand new ball than ever before.

The whole mentality has changed. Back then ODIs were like a smaller version of Test cricket. Now ODIs are like a longer version of T20 cricket.

From 1990 to 2009 - Only two batsmen averaged 50 plus with 5K runs. Bevan and Dhoni, two ATG who will be serious contender for spot in all time XI.

From 2010 onwards, we have 8-10 batsmen averaging 50 plus with 5K runs.

Difference is manily due to ODI game evolving and many changes in ODI rules. Raw numbers are hard to compare across eras in ODI format.
It’s pretty straightforward to just standardize the raw numbers to the era based on the overall bowling averages and batting averages of that time period.

Although I think if we are comparing across eras it’s better to just compare players to other players in their own era and see how dominant they are. I think for example, Bradman is not just one of the best sportsmen ever because of his 99 average but because that 99 average was so much ahead of any player he was playing with or against.

In Test, it’s pretty clear when you look at overall numbers that the 2000s were some of the easiest times to bat with many flat decks. After the 2000s, the Kookaburra and Duke balls have both been redesigned to swing and spin for much much longer than they used to before. Back in the day, I remember them losing all shape and not doing anything at all for long periods of time. We used to see some ridiculously high scores in Test cricket than we rarely see now. The rise of the wobble seam has also dramatically changed the game.

It’s pretty straightforward to just standardize the raw numbers to the era based on the overall bowling averages and batting averages of that time period.

Although I think if we are comparing across eras it’s better to just compare players to other players in their own era and see how dominant they are. I think for example, Bradman is not just one of the best sportsmen ever because of his 99 average but because that 99 average was so much ahead of any player he was playing with or against.

In Test, it’s pretty clear when you look at overall numbers that the 2000s were some of the easiest times to bat with many flat decks. After the 2000s, the Kookaburra and Duke balls have both been redesigned to swing and spin for much much longer than they used to before. Back in the day, I remember them losing all shape and not doing anything at all for long periods of time. We used to see some ridiculously high scores in Test cricket than we rarely see now. The rise of the wobble seam has also dramatically changed the game.
Agree here, specailly with the bold.

In the test format, short cut of comparing raw numbers may still work but in ODI, games has been evolving every decade.

Jelly's are hating on Babar for unnecessary awe of players from yesteryears.

Inzi's stats have been brutally exposed in this thread. Babar still has half of his career to go.

Instead of backing and standing behind the best batsman in the country, there's a debate cracking on for days on all other sorts.

If i am not wrong, Inzi didn't play 2006 CT. Younis was captain then as I can remember Afridi coming in to bat at no.5 in that tournament.

If i am not wrong, Inzi didn't play 2006 CT. Younis was captain then as I can remember Afridi coming in to bat at no.5 in that tournament.
Yes you are right. Sorry I meant to put 2004 Champion’s Trophy.

If what Basit Ali said about Babar Azam is true then it is a great achievement for him that an all-time great gave him priority over the superstars of Pakistan.

Not sure if Imran was the best of mates with Miandad or Zaheer was he…

The first thing Imran Khan will do after coming out of jail is to straight away go and see Basit Ali. :ROFLMAO:

Former Pakistan international Basit Ali took to his YouTube channel to lay down a challenge to Babar Azam:

"If, against the top teams (not USA, Ireland, etc), Babar Azam can hit three sixes down the ground, straight, then I will stop talking on TV and shut down my YouTube channel. And if he cannot do this in the World Cup then he should stop opening the innings for Pakistan. This is my challenge to him."

Former Pakistan international Basit Ali took to his YouTube channel to lay down a challenge to Babar Azam:

"If, against the top teams (not USA, Ireland, etc), Babar Azam can hit three sixes down the ground, straight, then I will stop talking on TV and shut down my YouTube channel. And if he cannot do this in the World Cup then he should stop opening the innings for Pakistan. This is my challenge to him."
Give the challenge to Rizwan as well. Why is he singling out Babar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its hard to compare batsmen from different decades as the game has changed quite considerably with today's batsmen needing far more skills and fitness even just to compete at the top level.

Give the challenge to Rizwan as well. Why is he singling out Babar?
Mate we were dry for 60 games in odi in the first 10 before Abdullah came and hit 2 6's.

Why would babar hit 3 sixes in the first 6 😂😂. Bradman Rizwan can hit it though. Remember Bradman has a 22 ball 100, so for rizwan it should be easy.

Oh and all those 6's will be on the onside yeah, not legside because after all Bradman has no weakness.

He should start off slowly

Give Babar the challenge to do that against USA, Ireland and Canada first…in the powerplay

What’s Basit scared of?

He should start off slowly

Give Babar the challenge to do that against USA, Ireland and Canada first…in the powerplay

What’s Basit scared of?
As if that'll happen. He'll hit one max in the PP. That's his scope irrespective of teams.

As if that'll happen. He'll hit one max in the PP. That's his scope irrespective of teams.
Now his defenders will come out and say:

“But who in Pakistan can hit 3 sixes against international sides in a powerplay as an opener? Therefore Babar and Rizwan are the best for the job”.

It is an impossible task for Babar Azam. he is Babar Azam not Travis Head

It is an impossible task for Babar Azam. he is Babar Azam not Travis Head
So Babar went from being the greatest bat of the modern era and being no lessee then Don Bradman to being reduced to the last Ray of hope for Pakistan before Pakistan collapses?

What's the next defence? Babar is trash bit we need him because he has 5M insta followers?

Zaheer Abbas failed to average 50+ in Test cricket. If Babar finishes his career with a 50+ Test average and it is highly likely, he will surpass him.

Miandad was poor vs WI and his average is greatly boosted by biased home umpiring, but he is the most clutch batsman in Pakistan history and it will be difficult for Babar to overtake him especially in the Test format.

Nonetheless, he will go down as a bonafide legend of Pakistan cricket and someone who will be remembered and revered decades after his retirement.

So Babar went from being the greatest bat of the modern era and being no lessee then Don Bradman to being reduced to the last Ray of hope for Pakistan before Pakistan collapses?

What's the next defence? Babar is trash bit we need him because he has 5M insta followers?

He would be better off as a social media influencer, but to be honest, he doesn't meet the criteria to open the innings in T20Is. I'm not against him playing T20Is. I just can't digest the logic of him opening the innings in T20Is.

Technically better than rest minus maybe Yousef but a mental midget, rest are battle hardened.

If Babar finishes his career with a 50+ Test average and it is highly likely, he will surpass him.

Very Unlikely.

Based on age, Babar's in his batting prime right now, and his moving average has declined in the last 12 innings from 49.XX to 45.XX.

Also fun fact, since Babar became a test regular under Mickey, he actually has never averaged 50 in test cricket, the closest he's gotten was 49.74 at the 82nd innings mark and that's about it. Since then, he has dropped into the mid-40s, and given how much we play Test cricket along with the home/away itinerary the most I see him doing is late 46ish/ early 47ish type of numbers career-wise.

A Bonafide Pakistani batting great but then again, we don't really have a batting legacy to benchmark someone like Babar correctly so everything's a bit relative to what we have witnessed as a fanbase over the years.

Well what a strange character he is, on one side he advocates vehemently for Babar and on the other end makes a bet that Babar can't hit three consecutive sixes ever. I believe he makes up such stuff just to remain relevant in news.

Well what a strange character he is, on one side he advocates vehemently for Babar and on the other end makes a bet that Babar can't hit three consecutive sixes ever. I believe he makes up such stuff just to remain relevant in news.
I'm just praying that Babar just hit those three straight sixes. :D

Players rate other players on the eye test and technical capability rather than stats.

Babar in ability is equal better than many greats of Pak cricket. He does not yet have or has displayed the middle over mastery of Javed/Inzamam in ODIs.

Inzy could at his peak could easily pilot an innings from 80 after 20 ovs to 280-300 after 50 which was usually an above par score. In this era the equivalent is going from 115 to 330-350 where Babar seems usually lost in middle overs and dependent on his partners to do RR lifting job

Basit ali was not getting much attention since that captaincy drama where other jumped in and criticized PCB and som of them criticized Babar etc. But basit ali was nowhere to be seen then. Then he though, Oh, I am not getting much attention from anywhere so let's give an awkward statement to come to limelight and here we go. It was nothing else but a weird statement.

Basit Ali's main problem is that he doesnt analyze things much and instead focuses on blaming the players too much.

Imran is a human being and can be very wrong at times. Babar is very overrated player and has not played any great inning against a top team , particularly on overseas tour.

Imran's statement was a pretty exaggerated kind of thing. He rated Babar even higher than the likes of Miandad and Zaheer Abbas which IMO is not the right depiction of how things are working for babar atm. Babar has had a poor time for last 2-3 years but on the other hand, Miandad and Zaheer played in much bowling friendly era but they scored some clutch runs more consistently.

What Basit said was nothing but another attention seeking trick.

Babar is a great player but not greatest of all time.

One small snort of the right stuff can bring out many a gems.

Btw guess the great Khan was talking about the stats padding quality of brother Bobby. It is indeed incomparable. :inti

He has done it today against Ireland, now time to do it against the big teams and let's see what Basit Ali does with his channel.

This man said that Inzi was a better batsman then Sachin for heaven sake! I never take IK seriously anymore no matter what the subject is. Babar can't even get big runs against today's mediocre attacks. The likes of Javed and Zaheer faced and were successful against much better bowlers from the vintage 1970's and 1980's era. Just imagine Babar being made to bat against Lillee, Thompson, Hadlee, Marshall, Roberts and Holding. He'd struggle to score ten runs.

Probably was a case of exaggerating to make your point.

Basit comes across as a slime making a private conversation public like this. He did not even say when the conversation happened.

IK probably was trying to convey how good Babar can be based on potential and over exaggerated like old uncles do in our part of the world just to make his point.

He has done it today against Ireland, now time to do it against the big teams and let's see what Basit Ali does with his channel.

Time for basit sahab to close his channel. Babar struck three sixes back to back. But yeah, I know he said against top team, he said. But babar has played a good match-winning inning. Good to see some ball hitting from babar. He needed that inning badly.

Back