"In my opinion, India will not pull out of the Champions Trophy in Pakistan" : Ramiz Raja

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Ramiz Raja, in a virtual press conference on Wednesday, hinted that the possibility of a bilateral series between Pakistan and India still remains unlikely.

Speaking about the possibilities, Raja said that the tri-nation series including India and Pakistan might be on the cards. However, nothing is certain.

"Bilateral series between Pakistan and India seems unlikely at this moment but we can hope to see both teams in action in a tri-nation series perhaps," said Raja.

Responding to the question regarding India again pulling out of the Champions Trophy after it was announced that the 2025 tournament will be held in Pakistan, Ramiz said:

"It is not an easy task to pull out of an international tournament. Once the rights are awarded, these feuds between different cricketing boards are also considered while making the decision. In my opinion, India will not pull out."

Ramiz Raja elaborated that he has good working relations with the BCCI President Sourav Ganguly and the future looks promising.

"I have good working relations with Sourav Ganguly and we have good communication; discussing cricket on a global stage and it can be improved. When two former cricketers are managing things then they focus on cricketing matters and it becomes an easier thing from an administrative standpoint," added the PCB Chairman.

Collective Effort
It was recently announced that Pakistan will be defending their Champions Trophy title on home soil when the tournament kicks off in 2025. This development is a ray of hope, a breakthrough for a better future for Pakistan cricket.

Talking about the efforts, Ramiz said that although it was not a straightforward task and everyone who was involved throughout this process deserves the credit.

"It is always difficult to go to the ICC and present your case and then successfully achieve what you had aimed for. There was a perception of Pakistan on the international stage and it took a long while to change that. This would have been a straightforward task had England and New Zealand not pulled out from their respective series."

Ramiz Raja said that small victories were absolutely vital and credited all those who were involved in making this happen.

"It is not only because of PSL since we also held international series in Pakistan. This has been made a reality due to the efforts of everyone who had been involved [at the PCB]," added Raja.

Rejected Joint Bids for World Cups
Although Pakistan won the right to host the 2025 Champions Trophy, the PCB also put in the bid for the World Cup and T20 World Cup. Responding to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka being awarded the rights with India being the co-host, Raja said:

"The co-hosted bids are accepted if you have friendly relations with the other cricketing boards. It is clear for everyone to see how these cricketing boards operate. If Pakistan's bid was declined, we should not be afraid because we are hosting a major event on our own."

"We want to play cricket against all nations and I have been transparent with the ICC regarding the issues that we are facing. If we look at it, I consider this to be a breakthrough as Pakistan was awarded the rights to host a major event when various other boards such as India, New Zealand, West Indies were all present there. This is a strong statement that Pakistan and PCB will not be ignored as it has been in the past," said a rejuvenated Ramiz.

"In the end, it is also a business and our business is heavily dependent on how our national team performs. If they perform well then we will be in a position to demand more things," added the PCB Chairman.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/r-10479

==

Pakistan getting ICC tournament and confirmations of tours:

"We have a strong narrative, we spoke the truth and we spoke from our hearts; We had to face emotional turbulence and I feel that the other boards understood our emotional hurt - maybe it was a cricketer talking about the game of cricket and not an administrator; I thought that the world listened quite well to us and eventually I think better sense prevailed"

"The world has also realized that we have put in a lot of effort to where we have gotten to and that Pakistan cannot be ignored and I have always said that we need to have a very strong side to convince the world that we are a very very relevant cricket board as well and thankfully the performance of the players and the team was heartwarming - pity about that game against Australia - and even in that game we fought tooth and nail and that is what we expect from our team"

Regarding Pakistan openers:

"If something is not broken, why tinker with it? I feel our batting resources are not that good and we have to work a lot on it; As your batting resources get better, your batting will improve"

"We will need to make adjustments for the T20 World Cup in Australia but I have plans about how we will win the tournament in Australia which I will share with you all soon"

Babar Azam as captain

"Babar has been an outstanding captain, he's owned his team and been given a team that he desired and in a sense he has been given freedom; He is young and will make mistakes and learn from them and move on"

Situation of cricket in Pakistan

"I have brought back Agha Zahid to check upon wickets and this is an area that needs a lot of work; When so many runs are being scored, it becomes a meaningless exercise"

"I inherited these things unfortunately and should have been set-up before; I am having to start things again as if I was starting from a kindergarten level which is very unfair for any new Chairman"

"You should be given a setup which is world-class which matches that of the top nations; We have situations where there is lack of equipment, pitches aren't good, school cricket is not happening and the performances of the national side is up and down so how many fronts will you fight this battle on?"

"There has been no development in interior Sindh, Balochistan or in KP where so much of the talent comes from"

"I cannot understand what shape these people have left cricket in for me to take on"

Last edited:
"It is not only because of PSL since we also held international series in Pakistan. This has been made a reality due to the efforts of everyone who had been involved [at the PCB]," added Raja.

- Knows how to take credit.

Some more quotes added to post #1

India should forfeit any match they refuse to play in Pakistan, no ifs and buts. Politics might not be separate from sports, but it should not be affected by it either. If India is not ready to play international cricket, they should stick to IPL.

It is still over 3 years and few months to go before 2025 ICC Champions Trophy takes place.

By that time we do not know if Raja and Ganguly will be holding on to current positions.
Similarly we do not know how both Goverments will react just before 2025 ICC Champions trophy. As a matter of fact if BCCI/ICC did not want cricket to take place in Pakistan, they would have never rewarded Pakistan hosting rights of 2025 ICC champions trophy. So lets be positive.

Our focus should be for next 3 upcoming ICC Trophies, we have already messed up one in UAE. Time to move on and plan win, execute with perfection upcoming 3 ICC trophies

1) ICC T20 World cup 2022
2) ICC Test Championship final 2023
3) Cricket world cup 2023.

A long time to go.

If I was a betting man, I would say BCCI will not send their team to Pakistan. Or more realistically what will happen is that the tournament will not take place in Pakistan.

India should forfeit any match they refuse to play in Pakistan, no ifs and buts. Politics might not be separate from sports, but it should not be affected by it either. If India is not ready to play international cricket, they should stick to IPL.

If India doesn't go to pakistan to play the CT ofcourse they will forfeit points and the money share.

The Indian government will not be bothered by that.

International cricket doesn't mean visiting pakistan and playing pakistan.

Pakistan has every right to host the tournament, India has every right to skip it.

Pakistan didn't get the rights without the BCCICC's blessing.

But 4 years is a long time for Ganguly, Rameez, Jay Shah, and even Imran Khan and Modi who have elections in between.

Let's see what happens. The UAE is always available.

A long time to go.

If I was a betting man, I would say BCCI will not send their team to Pakistan. Or more realistically what will happen is that the tournament will not take place in Pakistan.

Tbh it will not be in BCCI's hands. Ganguly and Shah wont be at the BCCI then.

We don't know who will be the PM of India, though Modi is likely to win again.

If all teams agree to visit pakistan, then the tournament should be in pakistan only. India should skip it, if they don't want to go.

It will be very unfair on pakistan to have to shift the tournament because of India only.

Pakistan didn't get the rights without the BCCICC's blessing.

But 4 years is a long time for Ganguly, Rameez, Jay Shah, and even Imran Khan and Modi who have elections in between.

Let's see what happens. The UAE is always available.

Would it be fair to shift the tournament out of pakistan, just for india?

If India doesn't go to pakistan to play the CT ofcourse they will forfeit points and the money share.

The Indian government will not be bothered by that.

International cricket doesn't mean visiting pakistan and playing pakistan.

Pakistan has every right to host the tournament, India has every right to skip it.

No issue with anything as long as India doesn't whine to ICC and ask the tournament to be moved to a neutral location. Which they will do.

Would it be fair to shift the tournament out of pakistan, just for india?

India would be happy to shift any tournament out of itself to avoid hosting Pakistan (like past Asia Cups), so of course if a tournament must go on and the ICC cash registers must keep clinging, the tournament will be played in the UAE with both India and Pakistan if it comes to that.

If they have to shift the tournament then I hope it isn't in UAE. Shift it to Sri Lanka, Bangladesh or even England.

Pakistani team might play in India but India won't be playing in Pakistan.

Sorry for PCB's $orrow$.

Modi and his saffron brigade will make a fuss, India will then decide not to take part.

India should just play IPL 12 months a year with having a 3 hour Bollywood break between innings.

No issue with anything as long as India doesn't whine to ICC and ask the tournament to be moved to a neutral location. Which they will do.

India should not ask to shift the tournament.

But the ICC may be forced anyhow, due to financial matters.

Modi and his saffron brigade will make a fuss, India will then decide not to take part.

India should just play IPL 12 months a year with having a 3 hour Bollywood break between innings.

Let BCCI decide what and where India should play.

It is long time to go. A lot of things can change between these boards by then. For example, Pakistani players could be playing in IPL before that. For now, let us just hope that Indian team plays in 2025 Champions Trophy in Pakistan.

Because its one of many tournaments this cycle, I think the broadcasting contract bidders will price in the risk of India not playing in CT. Overall revenue share to boards will be reduced but there wont be a massive dent due to it being just one tournament among many.

Money talks tournament walks.

If BCCI want it moving ICC will say when and where.

Who cares if India pulls out, their loss. ICC should take a stand against India's bluff/black mailing all the time .

Who cares if India pulls out, their loss. ICC should take a stand against India's bluff/black mailing all the time .

Lol at one hand Pakistan fans say ICC = BCCI but at the same time they want ICC to stand against india :qdkcheeky

Pakistan can host.

India should pull out, forfeit the matches and give the obligated compensation.

That should make all party content.

I would say there is a 90% chance this tournament will be held in the UAE. There is a possibility we might have SFs or final in Pak. This is regardless of whether India is coming or not.

If the SF/F is in Pak and India qualifies and decides not to come to Pak they would then have to forfeit the semi final.

I think a lot can change in 3 years anyway.

Agree. Pakistan needs to host international tournaments. As it is there are few places where people are passionate for Cricket. If India doesn't go then the tournament should carry on.

Why the obligated compensation? It's a ICC tournament and not a bilateral. The most the opponent would get is a walkover.

Pakistan can host.

India should pull out, forfeit the matches and give the obligated compensation.

That should make all party content.

Indians worried about their team being attacked in Pakistan

Why would Pakistan want to risk nuclear war by not providing sufficient security to Indian cricketers in Pakistan? There is more chances of SENA teams being attacked in comparison to India.

Everyone is talking about India but are we sure teams like Aus, NZ and Eng will tour? I dont think so. But lets see what happens as 5 years is a long time.

How can India pull out to begin with when they are unlikely to agree to participate lol

I will be surprised anyhow if this is held in Pakistan, considering it will be a big task convincing the likes of England, NZ and Australia

Indians worried about their team being attacked in Pakistan

Why would Pakistan want to risk nuclear war by not providing sufficient security to Indian cricketers in Pakistan? There is more chances of SENA teams being attacked in comparison to India.

People love each other . I believe Indian cricketers are very famous in Pakistan.

There is absolutely ZERO chance of Pakistan cutting any corners with security of the Indian team. Even the mosquitos won't be able to get near them.

Security will not be the reason for India not coming. It will be politics.

wdym? We all know India will ask ICC to move tournament to UAE. I don't expect anything to change drastically in 3 years

Even if India doesn't ask to move the tournament

Will ICC want to hold a tournament with no Indian participation?

Can the ICC move the tournament elsewhere if Indian don't want to travel to Pakistan but everyone else will ?

Can the ICC move the tournament elsewhere if Indian don't want to travel to Pakistan but everyone else will ?

Depends what is written in the contract / agreement.

In theory it is possible, I suppose

No, just like they wouldn’t without any Pakistani participation.

Well, i will be honest here.

If all teams except India are ready to visit pakistan, the CT should be in pakistan.

If all teams except Pakistan are ready to visit India, the three ICC tournaments should be in India.

If more than one team refuses, then the tournament needs to be moved.

If all teams except India are ready to visit pakistan, the CT should be in pakistan.

If all teams except Pakistan are ready to visit India, the three ICC tournaments should be in India.

I think it depends on the circumstances either way.

Didn't Australia and West Indies (and one other?) refuse to play in Sri Lanka in world cup 1996? The tournament rightly continued.

What if Pakistan can convince brother countries of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, srilanka to boycott games in India what will happen then all hypothetically of course

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it depends on the circumstances either way.

Didn't Australia and West Indies (and one other?) refuse to play in Sri Lanka in world cup 1996? The tournament rightly continued.

Pakistan and India sent a combined team to play a match to show solidarity to the Sri Lankans

Backdoor politics will ensure that there will be at least one more team other than India refusing to play in Pakistan. Dont be surprised if that team is Afghanistan.

New Delhi: The International Cricket Council-ICC has announced the hosts of the upcoming tournaments of the 2024-2031 cycle. Pakistan got a big boost as they have given the opportunity to host the 2025 Champions Trophy. On the other hand India have won the rights to host the 2026 and 2031 50-Over Cricket World Cup along with 2029 Champions Trophy. The Chairman of Pakistan Cricket Board, Ramiz Raja have made a big statement that security in Pakistan is better than big world leagues like the English Premier League or Formula 1.

There are security concerns in Pakistan which led to England and New Zealand pulling out from their respective tours as the Sri Lanka team were attacked by terrorists back in 2009.

“One neutral security adviser had suggested that security arrangements in Pakistan are better than arrangements at EPL and Formula 1,” Ramiz Raja disclosed in an online media interaction.

The former Pakistan international have assured that there will be no last minute pull-outs from the tournament as Sports Minister Anurag Thakur has cleared India’s stand-on participation for the tournament.

“It is not going to happen. “They [ICC] went through all the pros and cons and after going through the details, came to the conclusion that Pakistan is fit enough to host and administer the Champions Trophy. You shouldn’t worry at all. I don’t think there will be any negativity or any pull-outs at all,” Raja said.

Pakistan will be hosting a major ICC Tournament for the first time in 28 years. The last major tournament the sub-continent nation hosted was way back in 1996 along with Sri Lanka and India.

“We need to focus on what we can do, forget the rest. This is major progress, that we have hosting rights to an ICC event after 28 years. If we continue to question why this and why not that, then I would say, the sky is the limit and one can’t be satisfied,” Raja told.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...etitions-during-champions-trophy-2025-1006096

For goodness sake why are we worried about 2025 just yet. One step at a time here.

Forget about BCCI & politics, we should start preparing to counter Bharat army. Qaddafi stadium could be filled up all by Indian fans & that could be really embarrassing for us.

What if Pakistan can convince brother countries of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, srilanka to boycott games in India what will happen then all hypothetically of course

What if India then refuse to tour SL and BD? They will lose out on the earnings from the biggest pay day in international cricket, A tour by the Indian team.

What if India then refuse to tour SL and BD? They will lose out on the earnings from the biggest pay day in international cricket, A tour by the Indian team.

It’s not like the pay day is doing them any good. They, alongside SA and West Indies are still below Pakistan even though they have been getting these regular pay days for the past 10 years

Forget about BCCI & politics, we should start preparing to counter Bharat army. Qaddafi stadium could be filled up all by Indian fans & that could be really embarrassing for us.

What a stupid comment. This never happened when Indians were given visas left right and centre in 2000s, this will never happen, never mind now. Do you ever write anything of substance?

Eh..This will happen in a match scheduled anywhere else except Pakistan.

Unless Pakistan are generous with visas to allow the Indian fans fill up the stadium:narine

Eh..This will happen in a match scheduled anywhere else except Pakistan.

Unless Pakistan are generous with visas to allow the Indian fans fill up the stadium:narine

You will find that we have big hearts.

During their previous visit to Lahore, they were offered free food in eating places - I was in one of them and got angry at the waiter, saying why not us also!

This is really naive from Rameez, India will not tour Pakistan and they won't let any ICC event happen in Pakistan. Pakistanis that love India are so naive, they easily forget what the BCCI/Indian govt has done in the past and what they will most definitely do again - India is going to boycott CT 2025 and will blackball every other board to do the same. On the surface they will act nonchalant but behind the scenes they'll be using all backchannel means to convince/blackmail/threaten the other boards to stop them from participating. 4 years may seem like a long time but nothings going to change between Pakistan and India, it's going to remain this way for a very long time.

Not sure why Rameez is bothered with India coming. Comes off as very desperate from him.
I don't think the local Pakistan public cares much about watching Rohit and Virat etc. and vice versa.
Move on, and host other teams.

You will find that we have big hearts.

During their previous visit to Lahore, they were offered free food in eating places - I was in one of them and got angry at the waiter, saying why not us also!

Ha ha, I would've been miffed if I didn't get free food either tbf:yk

What I said was it's hard to see a lot of Indians getting visas enough to fill up an entire stadium like they do elsewhere. In any case, we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. We have to see first if the tour goes ahead in the first place. I think the south asian games in Lahore scheduled for 2023 would tell us what would happen. Hard to see the Indian government giving permission for Indian athletes to visit Lahore in 2023 and banning Indian cricketers alone from visiting Pakistan for Asia cup and Champions trophy.

Not sure why Rameez is bothered with India coming. Comes off as very desperate from him.
I don't think the local Pakistan public cares much about watching Rohit and Virat etc. and vice versa.
Move on, and host other teams.

Which we will.

Question was asked of him and he replied.

Back