India (205/5) comprehensively defeat Australia (181/7) by 24 runs to book their spot in the Semi-Finals of the ICC T20 World Cup 2024

Good on the afghans, rooting for them, they deserve their success.

I would feel for the Indians though if Bangladesh win tomorrow, the Aussies make it through on net run rate and then beat the Indians in the final....that would suck for the parosis :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
dumb-and-dumber-theres-a-chance-gif.gif

Never lose hope bros :dhoni

100% agreed with you, we have brother @JaDed @oatmeal @Nikhil_cric and others sweating and being timid throughout the match.

Our fans lack the jazba, daleri, badmaashi and gundagardi attitude of some other countries fans.
I hope our fans learn those key ingredients which are the main reason our team fails to win trophies because our fans lack those 4 key ingredients.

You are selling us long. We lack hoshyar and janbaaz too.

Australia gave it a good go but the difference was in picking the spinners
Zampa got carted whereas Kuldeep was tight and disciplined in his bowling

You can't accuse Ravi of being sober in first place. He has been high this whole millenium.
Lol....but in his defence....a coach / manager instills belief in their wards to think they are better than they really are....towards that I think Ravi was awesome....would love it if I had a guy like him as manager in real life corporate world

@oatmeal
@big_gamer007
@JaDed

Thanks for the tags but there was never any doubt. A comfortable victory for India as expected.

There were too many runs on the board for the best bowling unit in the world to not defend.

In fact, the few lucky runs in the last couple of overs has flattered Australia. In reality, they have lost this game by 30-40 runs.

The match was over when Maxwell got out, because Head was never going to do it on his own. Too many runs vs too good a bowling unit.

This brings me back to my original point. Indian fans are whining bottlers and it is good to see that the players themselves have more nerve.

If it were down to the Indian fans, they would have surrendered after the first 10 overs and Australia would have chased this down in 17-18 overs.

You lot have no mettle and are really scared of losing in spite of having such a brilliant team.

I’m sorry to say this but Indian fans clearly don’t have the chops. Don’t give me lame excuses of having high standards. If is not about standards; it is about not having the chops.

This was a 170-180 pitch as I said before the Australian innings started, but Rohit’s sensational knock made it look like a 210-220 pitch and gave a chance for bottler fans to start panicking.
We have very high expectations as a country. One small error by a player is all it takes for our demanding fans to write him off forever.
Thankfully our players and BCCI are not like our fans.

100% agreed with you, we have brother @JaDed @oatmeal @Nikhil_cric and others sweating and being timid throughout the match.

Our fans lack the jazba, daleri, badmaashi and gundagardi attitude of some other countries fans.
I hope our fans learn those key ingredients which are the main reason our team fails to win trophies because our fans lack those 4 key ingredients.
None of these qualities will do any good for the team unless you are part of the crowd. India would have made it harder for Australia had you shown these qualities in the Modi stadium in the final instead of clogging Hyderabad’s drainage.

Indian PPers showing their weak-mindedness as soon as the opposition play 15 mins of good cricket doesn’t hurt the team’s chances of winning but it makes the Indian PPers look stupid.

The Indian players deserve to win a trophy but the Indian fans don’t. They are too weak-minded to deserve to win a trophy.

We have very high expectations as a country. One small error by a player is all it takes for our demanding fans to write him off forever.
Thankfully our players and BCCI are not like our fans.
All it takes is two good overs by the opposition and these fans start waiving the white flag and when it comes to Australia, it usually takes two good balls thanks to the PTSD. Embarrassing.

All it takes is two good overs by the opposition and these fans start waiving the white flag and when it comes to Australia, it usually takes two good balls thanks to the PTSD. Embarrassing.
Did you have dengue or something recently? You seem to have low platelet count :dhoni

But to be honest, I'd take a bunch of sissy, whining fans and a world beating team over the other way around anyday.

That was on hell of a catch by Axar. But with ball starting to reverse, Australia would have had no chance even with set batters.

What a great win! Bumrah and Kuldeep were excellent as ever as was Axar.

Bangladesh need to win by 62 runs to qualify 😃

Team that bats first will usually win at Arnos Vale. But it's a low scoring pitch and the margin of win won't be big.

If BD bat first , they'll win but they won't win by a big enough margin and so OZ will go through.

We are yet to lose a single T20 game this year. Considering how this format levels playing field, no matter who the opposition is, this is a great record to have in T20s.

India seal semi-final spot as Rohit Sharma inspires crunch win over Australia

Australia fell short in their attempted chase of 206, after Rohit Sharma (92) had starred with the bat for India to set up a huge total in Gros Islet.

Travis Head threatened to pull off a remarkable rescue as he hit 76 from 43 balls, but he fell to Jasprit Bumrah in the 17th over and Australia’s hopes of winning went with him, as their chase fizzled out.

Arshdeep Singh picked up 3/37 from 4 overs, while Axar Patel (1/21 from 3) and Kuldeep Yadav (2/24 from 4) helped tie things up through the middle overs after Hardik Pandya and Ravindra Jadeja had been on the receiving end of Head’s blitz.

Afghanistan could now qualify at the expense of the reigning World Test Champions and Cricket World Cup Champions should they beat Bangladesh in the final game in Group 1.

Earlier, India captain Rohit came roaring out of the traps at the top of the order, making mincemeat of the Australian attack as he hit eight sixes and seven fours in a blistering 92(41), falling narrowly short of a record-breaking century.

Suryakumar Yadav (31 from 16), Shivam Dube (28 from 22) and Hardik Pandya (27* from 17*) were the other major contributors as India reached 205/5 in their 20 overs, with Josh Hazlewood comfortably the pick of the bowlers with 1/14 and an economy rate of 3.50 – the only Australian bowler with single-figure economy across the innings.

Australia won the toss and opted to bowl first at Gros Islet in Saint Lucia, with Mitchell Starc returning to the side in place of Ashton Agar. India named an unchanged XI from their two previous Super Eight matches.

It was Australia who struck the first blow in the game as Virat Kohli skied Josh Hazlewood to Tim David in the deep to depart without troubling the scorers.

But Kohli's opening partner Rohit Sharma made an enormous early impact, slamming 29 runs off a single Mitchell Starc to set a blistering pace in the powerplay.

And Rohit brought up his half-century off just 19 deliveries, the fastest of the tournament so far, with all-but two of India's runs having come off his bat as he reached the milestone.

India's captain looked on course for a record century, but finally fell when Starc was reintroduced to the attack and cleaned him up for 92 from 41 balls.

Rishabh Pant had played a support role in his 15 (14), but Suryakumar Yadav added a fresh acceleration with his fiery 31 (16) before he edged behind off Starc.

Australia did manage to bring the scoring back slightly under control, with Hazlewood largely responsible with his spell of 1/14 in four overs – remarkable figures in the context of the game.

But, after Shivan Dube departed for 28(22), Hardik Pandya and Ravindra Jadeja provided some late gloss with 27*(17) and 9*(5) to send India past 200 to set a daunting target.

India got off to a terrific start when David Warner departed for a run-a-ball six in what could well be his final international appearance for Australia after a glittering career.

Australia recovered well though and were up with the required rate for long parts of the innings, thanks largely to Travis Head and his excellent 76 (43).

Head formed dangerous partnerships with both Mitchell Marsh (37) and Glenn Maxwell (20), only for Kuldeep Yadav to dismiss both, cleaning up Maxwell and accounting for Marsh thanks to a brilliant boundary catch by Axar Patel.

Bumrah returned to remove Head and Australia swung hard but with little hope from thereon as they fell short of their target to leave their World Cup hopes hanging by a thread.

Australia’s fate now lies in Afghanistan’s hands, who would qualify as the runner’s up in the group should they beat Bangladesh in the final match in the Super Eight stage.

A huge margin of victory for Bangladesh in that match could yet see the Tigers qualify for the semi-finals on NRR, while Australia would progress despite two defeats should Bangladesh enjoy a narrow victory, leaving all three sides tied on two points.

ICC

I think for guyana semis against the angrez :
- Yash needs to open with hitman
- VK needs to be at 1 & anchor the innings
- Hardik/ Surya should not come in before the 13th over...
- if not Yash - have either of Sanju or Rinku
- keep a deep 3rd man for both - arsh & jazz boom
- keep a deep midwicket for Jadz....always....
Keep jads fielding at either cover or midwicket. .
- jads better perform in semis
- Hardik better not bowl half tracker halwa...
- same as above with arshi
- Guyana - Georgetown will take spin....angrez ain't flash against spin....I would look to surprise them & open with Akshar
- please Rishabh....can you tine down the reverse hits? ....I mean U don't need to do it every ball ....
- lastly - based on this match - needs our guys to back Up keeper & bowler at both ends even more ..
- terrific chance to bury angrez - & shut their gob once & for all ..

Honestly, that was the cringiest send off ever! Whatever made him come up with that?
Aussis are by nature poor sportsmen and woul cheat if they get a chance. Look at their cricket history. Remember when Faulkner said he does not like west indies very much in 2016 and SAMMY MADE HIM EAT HIS WORDS:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Whoever advised Pant to play "responsibly" needs a flogging. We get gems from Pant when he is "irresponsible ". To play sensibly, please select Sanju.

BD should go for it, they could hardly get a situation where by winning one big margin game agaisnt Afg can take them to semis.

BD should go for it, they could hardly get a situation where by winning one big margin game agaisnt Afg can take them to semis.
Yea. in case if Aghanistan bats first and makes 125, BD should go after 125 in 13 overs which is not an outlandish task

All three teams are in the play. Bangladesh should try to go after it as well. It is their one and only chance to smell semi final in a T20 world cup.
Last time BD had a chance to win a game and go to the semis were in 2017 CT. We needed to beat NZ. NZ scored 265 and we were 15/4 I think. Than shakib and mahmudullah scored 100s to win the game and we reached the CT semi.

Miracles do happen. But I think this time with 62 runs it's just too much

Way to many runs to chase against Bhumra, Kuldeep.

Maxwell should have played out that over against Kuldeep

Temporarily England.

Yup.
Why England? You don't live there, nor were you born there. Your team is still in the contest, yet you've already lost hope. Algorithms are still saying Bangladesh can reach the semifinals. It's sad that you're not supporting Bangladesh and Canada but you fight for Pakistan and England.

Congratulations to India in advance for winning the WT20.

This team really deserves it. The likes of Rohit, Kohli, Bumrah and Kuldeep specially.

I'm saying this because one hand is already on the Trophy. It's India's World Cup to lose now. There's no one else in the picture that can stop them but Australia. Barring an upset in the Afghanistan v Bangladesh game. Australia will be out and that means India can beat any of South Africa, England or Afghanistan pretty comfortably.

This team really deserves it. The likes of Rohit, Kohli, Bumrah and Kuldeep specially.

I'm saying this because one hand is already on the Trophy. It's India's World Cup to lose now. There's no one else in the picture that can stop them but Australia. Barring an upset in the Afghanistan v Bangladesh game. Australia will be out and that means India can beat any of South Africa, England or Afghanistan pretty comfortably.
Too soon. We all have PTSD where KOs are concerned. I will believe it only when I see it.

IN T20, lol

Any team can win on given day. Predicatble results can happen more often in Test format because better teams wins series if not the tests.

Why England? You don't live there, nor were you born there. Your team is still in the contest, yet you've already lost hope. Algorithms are still saying Bangladesh can reach the semifinals. It's sad that you're not supporting Bangladesh and Canada but you fight for Pakistan and England.

I don't mind modern day England.

Big fan of Adil Rashid and Moeen Ali. Big fan of Jos Butler.

IN T20, lol

Any team can win on given day. Predicatble results can happen more often in Test format because better teams wins series if not the tests.
The pressure of Knockouts and the stakes are very high. In Knockouts regardless of format the better team wins. We don't see "upsets".

Its our cup to lose since 2015, guess what we made sure we did lol

When Australia fields like subcontinent team they are not the champions anymore. As i repeatedly say that sets them apart from Subcontinent teams. That is where they put pressure on the opposition.

Congratulations India for the win.. India took revenge of losses suffered in WTC final and WCODI final…… India win despite failure of Virat Kohli. Just imagine what will happen if Kohli returns to his form

Massive win for india. Ghosts of the 2023 world cup were haunting them but this win will ease things out.

But there is another ghost following them and it is the ghost of Knockout win.

Rohit the biggest 6 hitter of all time. Ridiculous how easy he hits them... Would be so demoralising for the opposition

India had too many strategical blunders in the match. Not employing deep third for reverse sweep of Maxwell. Not having point for Head. Having a slip needlessly for Travis head.
They are not so intelligent and they don't have the game awareness like you.

Tell me more.

I think you got a knack about these things.

lol I’m not sure the levels of Indian English school classes but it wasn’t a prediction. I was stating a possibility scenario of qualification.

Here is a prediction.

England will crush India to reach the final :wg

lol I’m not sure the levels of Indian English school classes but it wasn’t a prediction. I was stating a possibility scenario of qualification.

Here is a prediction.

England will crush India to reach the final :wg
A possibility explicitly put out an opinion, in the absence of any others, is what makes a prediction.

Arshdeep Singh (India player) post-match Press Conference - 24th June 2024

[Reporter:]

You have bowled at many places. Can you tell us about this outfield and wind factor? Because, from one place, it was looking a bit uphill, and from the other, it was looking straight. And this wind factor, the wind that was blowing, as a bowler, how did you adjust to that?

[Arshdeep Singh:]

As a player, as a team, our motto is to adapt to the conditions. When we were bowling from this end, we were getting good support from the wind and the ball was swinging. But when you are bowling from the other end you have to run against the wind and you have to see because batsmen were trying to hit shots from that side and the sixes were travelling from that side - so what is your defensive option there and how you should not bring the wind in play and how you should be defensive from that side and attack from this side

Because when the ball was going in the wind tunnel, it was going very long. So how easy was it to keep this in mind while bowling?

It's not about how easy it was, if you play well and adapt to the conditions, it will help you in the future. We played two matches in the past and there was a lot of wind in the air. We are used to it now and we have an idea how to handle it.

When Australia needed 100 runs of 10 overs, that's quite tricky for a bowling attack. So how did the bowling unit go about it? What was the thought process that could stop them with a degree of ease?

The thought was clear, our batters also batted on the same wicket and early on it was easy to score runs, the ball was coming on nicely but afterwards it became tough to hit boundaries. So, we knew when we get a couple of wickets, it will be tough for the new batters coming in to hit boundaries at will. So that was the plan and a couple of nice overs from the spinners in the middle overs helped us.

There's always a lot of talk about what Jasprit does in the death overs, but you have a really good record as well in the death. Can you talk about bowling on the other end to Jasprit, because you know he'll bowl the 17th and the 19th, so just when you are given the ball in the 15th or the 16th or whatever, just the whole dynamic of bowling at the other end to Jasprit?

I guess a lot of credit goes to Jasprit because he puts a lot of pressure on the batters. He gives what, three or four runs in and over. So, batsmen are coming hard against me and when they are trying, I just have to like try and bowl my best ball and there are a lot of chances of getting wickets there because on the other hand they see the runs are not coming and the asking rate is going high, so they take more risk against me and there's a chance always of getting a wicket there. So, I guess there's a lot of credit that goes to, of my wickets, that goes to Jasprit.

Josh Hazlewood came in before and said he felt that it was a 190-par type wicket. How important did you think Hardik's innings was at the end there to push the score out as much as he did?

It was very important because as I said before from one end it was very hard for the bowlers to even pitch the ball and the ball was flying to the boundary. So having that cushion of extra 15 to 20 runs always helps as a bowler and gives you that extra freedom to go for the wicket because eventually you're going to go for runs in this format. So, if you're taking wickets, you have upper hand in this game. And when you have 15 or 20 more runs on the board, you always have the leverage to try a couple of more things.

Talk a bit about the captains innings also, because these innings were amazing. What is the atmosphere in Dugout? How did you enjoy?

I enjoyed it a lot. When they play, they hit effortless shots. They hit long sixes. It doesn't feel like they are hitting the ball. They handle the ball with love and it goes far. I enjoyed it a lot. Hopefully, we will try to hit the same in the next two innings.

What do you make of England as semi-final opponents and what are you expecting from Guyana? I think first game there for you guys in the comp.

Right now, not expecting anything out of that game, just we'll have a little celebration after this game and a long travel day ahead. And then we'll see what conditions there are and how we can do our best there.

How exciting is it to have the opportunity to beat them after what happened in Adelaide 18 months ago, 2 years ago?

It is exciting when you come to World Cups and in the knockout stages you have really nice opponents. But as I told you, our motto here is stay where your feet are and right now, we are just trying to enjoy this moment.

On the eve of the semi-final, how is it to have a captain's knock and a captain leading the way? How much of a moral booster is it? And how did he guide you during those tense moments?

Sir, as a team, we always talk in the dressing room that personal scores don't matter much as long as the team is doing nice. So, we knew he is a legend and the big knock was around the corner all the time. So, we were not surprised by the way he played today and it came off really well and even in the coming games we just hope he does the same for us.

In the last three matches Kuldeep has come in for the Super 8 stage from the time the matches have moved to the Caribbean. What is his impact in the middle overs and how does it help you at the top end and at the back end?

Kuldeep is a champion spinner. Whenever he gets a chance, he delivers and he's always been in the wickets and today as well he was bowling from the tough end and even against the wind, he managed to bowl at around 6 an over and took crucial wickets. So, he is a really important player in our team and we are looking forward to take all from him and we hope he takes a lot of wickets

A possibility explicitly put out an opinion, in the absence of any others, is what makes a prediction.

A prediction is clearly specified , maybe not in Bombay but here in England.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 will end India’s run in the semi final in this years t20 World Cup (2024) . Hope that helps.

Back