India (296/8) defeat South Africa (218) by 78 runs in 3rd ODI to win the series 2-1

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
The three-match ODI series is evenly-poised with both the team wining one game each. The decider will be played today on Thursday at Paarl. The Men in Blue, led by skipper KL Rahul, will be looking to get back to winning ways and seal the three-match series in their favour with a comfortable victory today.

Rahul's side had comprehensively beaten the Proteas in the first ODI thanks to the heroics of Arshdeep Singh and Avesh Khan, who helped restrict the hosts to a score of 117, which KL Rahul & Co managed to chase down easily in just under 17 overs.

In the second ODI, however, India's batting failed to gain momentum and were restricted to 211 runs, which the Proteas chased down with 8 wickets to spare in less than 44 overs.

Going into the third ODI, the Indian team management will have plenty of questions to ponder, with the form of Ruturaj Gaikwad and Tilak Varma proving a cause for concern. Ruturaj, who opened the batting for India along with Sai Sudharsan, has failed to get going in the two matches so far with scores of 5 and 4 respectively. Meanwhile, Tilak Varma is yet to make an impact with the bat after being dismissed for 10 in the second ODI.

Another tough question for the team management could be whether to replace Sanju Samson at number 5. The Kerala-born opener did not get a chance to bat in the 1st ODI encounter, while he could only manage 12 runs in the 2nd ODI encounter.

1703134399546.png
Squads:

India
Squad: Ruturaj Gaikwad, Sai Sudharsan, Tilak Varma, KL Rahul(c), Sanju Samson(w), Rinku Singh, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Arshdeep Singh, Avesh Khan, Mukesh Kumar, Yuzvendra Chahal, Rajat Patidar, Washington Sundar, Akash Deep

South Africa Squad: Reeza Hendricks, Tony de Zorzi, Rassie van der Dussen, Aiden Markram(c), Heinrich Klaasen(w), David Miller, Wiaan Mulder, Keshav Maharaj, Nandre Burger, Lizaad Williams, Beuran Hendricks, Tabraiz Shamsi, Kyle Verreynne, Ottniel Baartman, Mihlali Mpongwana, Andile Phehlukwayo

===============

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

India might lose this match because India pick lots of useless players like Mukesh Kumar Gaikwad Tilak avesh and Azar useless in sena

Golden chance for India to win a series against Proteas at their home.

30 years old right hand batter, Rajat Patidar will make his ODI debut today

South Africa captain Aiden Markram wins toss, opts to bowl vs India in Paarl

Ruturaj Gaikwad has been ruled out of the third ODI against South Africa due to a finger injury

Sanju Samson is all hype and less substance. Hope he deliver the goods today.

I assume List A is domestic ODI cricket.
Mukesh Kumar as a bowler averages 37.83. He is definitely India's parchi cricketer :ROFLMAO:

Rahul get out to nothing delivery useless innings just as his stats

Good chance for Samson to score a 100. He should be selfish and get to that milestone. Forget the result of the game. You never know if he will ever get another chance

Good chance for Samson to score a 100. He should be selfish and get to that milestone. Forget the result of the game. You never know if he will ever get another chance
All non-starters should play selfishly.. only that way they can retain their spots (if they perform)..

With this series Tilak odi chances are done. Gaikwad chances are severely dented.Patidar should learn foot work.He can't survive on any bowling track

Samson need to work on strike rotation.. no feet movement against spin..

Finally an attacking shot by Tilak and four..

Samson need to work on strike rotation.. no feet movement against spin..

Finally an attacking shot by Tilak and four..
Both are clearly T20 players. Strike rotation is alien to them.

I can understand Tilak is a noob and learning at this level. But Samson has been part of the squad or at least in the fringes to know that strike rotation is important in ODI's.

With this series Tilak odi chances are done. Gaikwad chances are severely dented.Patidar should learn foot work.He can't survive on any bowling track
They are all clearly T20 players.

They need to learn fast or they will be done soon.

Just when Varma is looking good, he is gone. Overall, a very poor 50 he scored. Took too many deliveries to get into his groove.

Samson finally proving his worth. But I believe it is not enough for him to have a guaranteed spot in the team. He is up against the likes of KL Rahul, Kishan and Pant.

I still remember watching Sundar in THAT India-Australia series and I think to myself, why isnt he a regular in the Indian side? I vaguely remember him opening the bowling in some T20 game too.

Samson scored a 100. Well done. When you get a chance just score a selfish 100 so that people in future remember the 100 and bring you back for a series or two.
But then I remember a bloke called Karun Nair and think otherwise. :cautious:

I still remember watching Sundar in THAT India-Australia series and I think to myself, why isnt he a regular in the Indian side? I vaguely remember him opening the bowling in some T20 game too.
He should have been a regular at least in the LOI sides. He is pretty good spinner and a very good batsman to have down the order.
After Paandya, I rate Washi as the next best all rounder in India. But he usually gets dropped after 1 or 2 games.

Axar Patel looks like a fraud all-rounder? Is he another Parchi player?
He is decent. He is a step below Sundar.

Both Sundar and Axar are equal in terms of bowling. But I rate Sundar's batting more than Axar. Sundar bats like a proper batsman. Axar bats like a hack.

IF BCCI is smart, they will include Sundar for the T20 WC. He should be the part of spin attack of Kuldeep, Jaddu and Washi.

Looking at Rinku Singh I wonder why India went with Sky who had already proved in the past that he is crap at ODI's :yk2

India posts 296/8 on the board. South Africa needs 297 runs to win the series. A good total in the series decider. Match to resume after innings break.

Excellent recovery by India. I have always been a big fan of Sanju, he has not been given enough chances in the past.

He is decent. He is a step below Sundar.

Both Sundar and Axar are equal in terms of bowling. But I rate Sundar's batting more than Axar. Sundar bats like a proper batsman. Axar bats like a hack.
Sundar looks like a proper batsman. He could play as a batting all-rounder too in ODI's.

If washi can pick few wickets, he will be a sure alternative to axar.Some how washi is in recovery mode for 7 to 8 months all the time.

Looking at Rinku Singh I wonder why India went with Sky who had already proved in the past that he is crap at ODI's :yk2
Rinku has pretty much cemented his spot in the T20 WC Squad. He is the best finisher in the country as of now.

However, Rinku must learn to bowl some spin if he wants to be part of the playing XI.

Sanju Samson, after scoring his maiden century of 108 (114) during the innings break, said:

"It feels really interesting! It was a lot of hard work, to be honest I think they bowled really well. With the new ball it was coming on then it slowed down. We came back really strong and I think that will be a challenging total."

Jadeja has been blocking everyone since the beginning. He always gets the nod ahead of everyone else even in T20 although he was a serial failure for 14 years in the world T20
If it is a slow pitch, then both Jaddu and Sundar can play as batting all rounders and Kuldeep will be the lone spinner. Bumrah and Pandya should be the pace bowlers.

lol this mukesh Kumar take me back to dinda vinay kumar praveen Kumar era

Arshdeep started bowling well from the beginning. Although there was a bit of swing, he needs to keep it very tight, like a duck's backside, which is completely secure.

Is it me or De Zorzi’s feet trigger movement and bat movement are not entirely aligned? Very awkward style but it works for him

South Africa are off to a confident start in the chase. Tony de Zorzi is a special talent for South Africa

South Africa 59/1 after 9 overs in reply of India's 296/8. South Africa just need a steady progress to win this one.

Miller and Klassen yet to come. Shouldn't South Africa be favorites? 88/2

South Africa 120/2 after 24 overs. Going great at the moment. Just need to build on the momentum now to clinch this series.

Just tuned in to see AVesh take out Klassen. Game over for Saffers? 174-5

SA should not be losing to this B-grade Indian team. Not with Markram, Klassen, Miller still playing for SA.

Back