India announces squad for ICC T20I World Cup 2024

Rajdeep

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
India announce squad for T20 World Cup

India have named their 15-player squad for the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024.

India squad: Rohit Sharma (c), Hardik Pandya (vc), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (wk), Sanju Samson (wk), Shivam Dube, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Arshdeep Singh, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohd. Siraj

Reserves: Shubman Gill, Rinku Singh, Khaleel Ahmed and Avesh Khan

India are placed in Group A of the tournament alongside arch-rivals Pakistan, Ireland, Canada and co-hosts USA. Their campaign begins on 5 June against Ireland at the newly-constructed Nassau County International Cricket Stadium in New York before they take on Pakistan in one of the most awaited matches of the upcoming T20 World Cup.

Source: ICC

Looking at that squad...some posters :inti already planning to take hiatus like they did after the humiliation of 50 over WC & Asia cup last year. Just imagine if Mayank Agarwal was also there...ufff.

Anyway, amazing team selected by BCCI...run away champions.

:rabada2

Just like team management approach, team ls filled with negative mindset and safety first kind of people. Pandya and chahal are frauds.Why not rinku in the team .Just pick mayank unless he is dead and play him in couple of ko /imp games atleast. Only good thing is we don't have to watch kl playing maiden

How is Shubman Gill in the reserves? Wow. Either India has exceptionally strong batting talent that they’ve had to leave Gill out or they have terrible selectors.

Just like team management approach, team ls filled with negative mindset and safety first kind of people. Pandya and chahal are frauds.Why not rinku in the team .Just pick mayank unless he is dead and play him in couple of ko /imp games atleast. Only good thing is we don't have to watch kl playing maiden
Rinku missing was shocker he is India best batter in last 3 series

Some duds in the team. Rohit, Kohli, SKY, Padya, Jadeja all past it. Axar, Chahal and Avesh also do not belong.

Only person likely to prove me wrong will be Kohli.

How is Shubman Gill in the reserves? Wow. Either India has exceptionally strong batting talent that they’ve had to leave Gill out or they have terrible selectors.

Maybe it’s to light a fire under his behind?

Can't believe it's the real BCCI squad even I can choose the better players for team India then this rubbish squad
All there is to say is that the BCCI is starting to care less about its international commitments. All priorities are for the IPL. Perhaps internationals are secondary?

Good solid squad but the tail will be quite long like previous Indian teams.

If kohli & sharma couldn’t win a icc trophy in there peak they ain’t going to win one now their on there last legs.

Should have just thrown in youngsters you never know.

Sharma
Jaiswal
Rohit
Yadav
Pant
Dube
Pandya
Jadeja
Ashdeep
Bumrah
Kuldeep

If the seniors win the trophy that's great but that's not going to happen they most probably chock. bcci need to think how India win 2007 trophy because of young energetic players
No chance of winning the trophy as long as these guys hang around, but i don't think we'll lose to minnows

Pretty weak squad this.

Only bumbra is international level bowler. Rest are IPL standard bowlers . Top tier batters will murder this attack.

Almost all batters are well past it. Some are in poor form even on batting paradise of IPL.

All-rounders are neither good at batting nor bowling.

A world cup loosing squad this on paper. :inti

These are the squads we select and they are rightly trashed by Ppers. But when India crashes out , they'll call us chokers.

Make up your minds, brothers. It's either one or the other , it can't be both :inti

Only Bumrah looks threatening in bowling department, can bowl at any stage at any surface, kuldeep is getting smoked in IPL , Muhammad Siraj in t20?? Arshdeep is decent in death overs but at top if it doesn't swing, becomes ineffective..

Pretty weak squad this.

Only bumbra is international level bowler. Rest are IPL standard bowlers . Top tier batters will murder this attack.

Almost all batters are well past it. Some are in poor form even on batting paradise of IPL.

All-rounders are neither good at batting nor bowling.

A world cup loosing squad this on paper. :inti
Who is BumBra? 😆

What squad were you expecting? :inti

These are the squads we select and they are rightly trashed by Ppers. But when India crashes out , they'll call us chokers.

Make up your minds, brothers. It's either one or the other , it can't be both :inti
Is this not the best squad chosen from the ongoing IPL? You guys go gaga over IPL and still keep complaining about the squad. :inti

I can already visualize Dube ji hitting those massive sixers against Shadab Khan all over NYC on 9th June.

#ElClassico

So you don't watch or rate the IPL but you know that this is the best from the IPL?
I don't watch it. I have better things to do in life and that is why I have put a question mark. I am asking you did they choose the squad based on IPL performances? If yes, then why are you complaining now? :inti

This selection isn't really bizarre, most predicted that India would play it safe with old horses.

Pandya being selected is a suprise given current form.

India needed a complete revamp to their structure of the batting line up. Instead they go with the failed strategy for 10 years. This is at best a decent ODI side (minus Shami). Aboslutely terrible side for T20.

I think this is a pretty well rounded squad, which seems to cover all scenarios. The reserves provide adequate backups in case of any injuries. While Rinku Singh might feel hard done by, there is simply no spot for him. The top 4 selects themselves, and Pant is also a surefire starter, while Samson over KL is also a good pick due to his superior spin hitting abilities. The only open slot is 5/6 and Dube should get preference over Rinku because of his spin hitting abilities and part time bowling. In that sense, he also provides cover for Hardik. Dube has shown that he has worked on any perceived weaknesses against pace bowling and seems to be the complete package now.

India's only real weakness is that in the two iterations of their best XI, either batting or bowling is going to be weak. They will have to rely on a strong top 6 to carry the day like in the ODI world cup. It got them to the finals then, and even this squad should get them to the semis after which it's a lottery

Kohli alone was enough to completely shaft this team.

Now they've got Jaddu as well. GOAT test AR and absolute liability in both ODIs and T20s.

Har daal pe ullu baitha hai

I don't watch it. I have better things to do in life and that is why I have put a question mark. I am asking you did they choose the squad based on IPL performances? If yes, then why are you complaining now? :inti

They haven't selected the best based on IPL. And where was I crying about the squad ?

Where is he going to bat

Rajdeep's playing XI:

Rohit - for giving quick starts, 40 in 17 balls kind of knock

Kohli - Anchor role, playing for orange cup like he is doing in ongoing IPL

SKY - the day he fires, opposition might pack their bag and wave red flag

Pant - cornered tiger. This will be his T20 WC...you heard it here first

Pandya - wounded tiger after losing captaincy to Rohit.

Dube - just stand tall and hit those massive sixers. That will be his only role.

Jadeja - man of crisis as they say. His utility is only req main batters or bowlers having tough day.

Kuldeep - one half of tag team (Kul)

Chahal - another half of tag team (Cha)

Bumrah - 2 overs at top bowling at 145 clicks and 2 at the death with searing yorkers at 146 clicks

Siraj - one of the best bowlers going around from Asia and expect him to do well even though he is not having great IPL

Cannot understand the thought process behind selection of Pandu , Chahal , Arshdeep ....

Rinku cannot get in the team as a pure batsman. The sooner he realizes this, the better it is for him. If you cannot bowl a few overs in your IPL team, it means you are not a bowler.

India needs all rounders. This is why Axar and Hardik got in while Rinku is on the reserves bench.

Rinku cannot get in the team as a pure batsman. The sooner he realizes this, the better it is for him. If you cannot bowl a few overs in your IPL team, it means you are not a bowler.

India needs all rounders. This is why Axar and Hardik got in while Rinku is on the reserves bench.
Has Rinku not been able to perform in IPL this season?

I don't understand the selection of Chahal and Siraj. Chahal will lengthen the tail if India plays him in place of Jadeja or Axar.
Siraj is not a T20 bowler. Natarajan should have been in the team.

I only see Jaiswal and SKY as a 200+ S/R batsmen at the top and middle order. Overall, the selection panel played it safe. No out of the box thinking. A Semi Final exit once again.

Rohit, Kohli and even Pandya are 150 S/R batsmen on a good day. Simply not good enough in the modern game. If Jaiswal flops at the top, I don't see Indian team scoring 200+ scores. They will be a 160-180 scoring team. Pretty pathetic. Can't wait for Rohit and Kohli to retire from T20's.

Has Rinku not been able to perform in IPL this season?
He flopped in this IPL. Not one inning of noteworthy. His opportunities were also very limited. Comes at No.6 or N0.7. Not enough deliveries remaining to showcase his talent. The couple of opportunities he got to bat up the order, he flopped.

If Rinku does not learn to bowl spin, he will not be in the squad. May be in useless bilaterals. But for all important tournaments, he will be riding the bench or worse the sofa at his home.

Congratulations to Aussies in advance for being the World Champ. What a loser team this is. Are the selectors and David watching the same IPL that we are watching?

I don't understand the selection of Chahal and Siraj. Chahal will lengthen the tail if India plays him in place of Jadeja or Axar.
Siraj is not a T20 bowler. Natarajan should have been in the team.

I only see Jaiswal and SKY as a 200+ S/R batsmen at the top and middle order. Overall, the selection panel played it safe. No out of the box thinking. A Semi Final exit once again.

Rohit, Kohli and even Pandya are 150 S/R batsmen on a good day. Simply not good enough in the modern game. If Jaiswal flops at the top, I don't see Indian team scoring 200+ scores. They will be a 160-180 scoring team. Pretty pathetic. Can't wait for Rohit and Kohli to retire from T20's.
Rohit will retire without World Cup now. He can’t blame anyone for being so timid with selections.

If kohli & sharma couldn’t win a icc trophy in there peak they ain’t going to win one now their on there last legs.

Should have just thrown in youngsters you never know.
I agree. I too would have liked some youngsters playing the WC instead of these.
But we have examples of old players winning trophies. Example: Imran Khan came out of retirement and won a WC. Messi won a WC late in his career. Several tennis players won tournaments like that.

He flopped in this IPL. Not one inning of noteworthy. His opportunities were also very limited. Comes at No.6 or N0.7. Not enough deliveries remaining to showcase his talent. The couple of opportunities he got to bat up the order, he flopped.

If Rinku does not learn to bowl spin, he will not be in the squad. May be in useless bilaterals. But for all important tournaments, he will be riding the bench or worse the sofa at his home.
Siraj flopped too. Why is he there

Pretty much the expected team. Not good enough to win the tournament anyways.

Who is BumBra? 😆

What squad were you expecting? :inti
Was expecting a squad which would put up a decent fight against Pak in the tourney...

Now you have Ya Shah Ali Jamwal who can't buy a run in IPL opening in the world cup with the pregnant pot belly NoHit.

SSA and Rauf will be licking their lips looking at this batting line-up. :inti

Pretty good squad, the only question mark could be on selection of one spinner too many, that place could have gone to a fast bowler, esp when we know that Siraj hasn't been doing well in the IPL. Mayank Yadav could have been selected actually, some will say it's too early but I'm sick of this waiting game ****, play him when he is doing well, it is a WC and wr haven't won an ICC event in 11 years. Do whatever you can to win the title.

Back