India now third most common place of birth of Australian residents, census results show

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
India has overtaken China and New Zealand to become the third largest country of birth for Australian residents, 2021 census data has found.

On 10 August 2021, 673,352 people living in Australia reported India as their country of birth – an increase of 220,000, or 47.9% per cent, since the previous census in 2016. The most common country of birth was Australia, followed by England.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...h-of-australian-residents-census-results-show

Not surprising. Indians are everywhere.

No doubt. One thing I admire about the Indian diaspora is that in general Indians emigrate through legitimate channels (student visas, work permits etc.) whereas Pakistanis resort to other means

What data are you making this generalization on? There have been a ton of media reports in the recent past of Indians trying to illegally move to the US.

No doubt. One thing I admire about the Indian diaspora is that in general Indians emigrate through legitimate channels (student visas, work permits etc.) whereas Pakistanis resort to other means

You mean like the thousands of undocumented Punjabis that made they way over post-partition?.

India is basically a continent considering its population

Largely bcoz Indians get visa very easily to US / Canada / Australia

Unlike Pakistan where visa rejections are high

Only work and student visa. I believe the pathway for green card is relatively easy once you get here for Pakistanis compared to Indians and surprisingly even the Chinese for whom I think it is even more lengthy process than Indians.

and this is based upon facts? Can you add a link for me please.

Depends many Punjabi/Haryanavis resort to similar means, as seen in the Mexico incident.

It is pretty stupid too, a middleclass -upper middleclass Indian can do Masters in US for 20-40 lakhs without scholarships, the Punjabis/Haryanvis spend the same amount to go there by different means which is stupid.

Numbers are high also due to High IT population, for the IT ones either they come through Masters or through one of the IT firms so obviously it’s majority legal because of their high numbers.

Things are about to change now, Bangalore-Hyderabad have started paying huge salaries, most of my friends settled in Bangalore are not even looking to come abroad as they get way huge salaries back home.

Masters students will still be coming, till India’s own tech boom happens..(it’s slow but happening)..

Numbers are high because there are so many Indians in the world.

I remember a non-Asian friend of mine in a mixed area was 100% when I asked him if he can guess if the person was Indian or Pakistani. Indians are easy to spot too.

and this is based upon facts? Can you add a link for me please.

Check this link

Pakistan denial rate for US is 46-49% compared to 25% for India

https://ukvisa.blog/2019/08/01/usa-visa-refusal-rate/

ps : Recently I saw some discussion on twitter that Australia has not issues visas for Pakistani students even after 3-4 months. As a result many students with admits got into trouble with enrollment

Depends many Punjabi/Haryanavis resort to similar means, as seen in the Mexico incident.

It is pretty stupid too, a middleclass -upper middleclass Indian can do Masters in US for 20-40 lakhs without scholarships, the Punjabis/Haryanvis spend the same amount to go there by different means which is stupid.

Those Punjabi / Haryanvi folks struggle to clear TOEFL / IELTS. You think they can get into some Masters program in the USA :p

Only work and student visa. I believe the pathway for green card is relatively easy once you get here for Pakistanis compared to Indians and surprisingly even the Chinese for whom I think it is even more lengthy process than Indians.

Its bcoz of the stupid nation wise quotas. Indians have far greater numbers than the annual designated quota for India.

Hope Biden changes the rules and make all Indians eligible for the Green card

Check this link

ps : Recently I saw some discussion on twitter that Australia has not issues visas for Pakistani students even after 3-4 months. As a result many students with admits got into trouble with enrollment

This is meaningless without splitting US visa types. Pakistanis don't apply for H1B nearly as much as Indians, for which requirements and risks are completely different than a visit visa.

This is just a figment of Indian imagination where they have imagined Pakistanis not getting visas and similar.

Here's what I notice from Indians btw:

When there are more Indians than Pakistanis immigrating, it's because Pakistanis can't get immigration.
When it's more Pakistanis, it's because Pakistanis want to run away from Pakistan.

Lmao.. seen this like a million times now.

Check this link

Actually it looks like they did indeed split the data, but they are only reporting B1 and B2 rejection rates by country. Neither of those are immigrant visas, so people aren't moving to other countries on those visas. So your data doesn't address anything about people moving to US permanently. In fact you know it's much easier for Pakistanis on employment visa because of the birth country quota.

Where's your data on Canada and Australia?

Its bcoz of the stupid nation wise quotas. Indians have far greater numbers than the annual designated quota for India.

Biden is a mush but this is far fetched. Besides ALL Indians offered a green card would mean Modi and his wife will be the only ones left in India.

Current quota system is good. There are other countries too. Making it unlimited for one country is unfair.

Does this mean the future Indian Cricket team will be all Aussies in appearance!? G'day!:virat1

Indians have taken over Canada too. I suspect they are over 2 million.

Indians have taken over Canada too. I suspect they are over 2 million.

Canada opened immigration to 3% of their population during Trudeau’s term in that legally Indians were taking 42% .. including students, Provincial nominees, IT etc..
The blame should lie with the government not Indians..

There should be no issue if its legal, but they should cut down on fake entries and cash jobs to curb illegal immigrants.

Last edited:
Does this mean the future Indian Cricket team will be all Aussies in appearance!? G'day!:virat1

I lot kids playing in certain areas of Sydney are of South Asian background! Khwaja has opened the door and hopefully will be easier for the future generation.

I lot kids playing in certain areas of Sydney are of South Asian background! Khwaja has opened the door and hopefully will be easier for the future generation.

The Aussies are still well behind England in this regard.

The Aussies are still well behind England in this regard.
Migration is years behind hence the disparity. South Asians started coming to AU in the 90s and then it wa superchargers post 9/11 with student visas.

Migration is years behind hence the disparity. South Asians started coming to AU in the 90s and then it wa superchargers post 9/11 with student visas.

How many indigenous aboriginal's in the Aussie team? This migration excuse doesn't work at all.

Last edited:
How many indigenous aboriginal's in the Aussie team? This migration excuse doesn't work at all.

Cricket is probably that last bastion on Anglo Australians. You will be hard pressed to anyone without British heritage and it is a disgrace.

Certain sports like AFL, Rugby and football have had Indigenous players and with Rugby league it is pretty high.

Cricket is probably that last bastion on Anglo Australians. You will be hard pressed to anyone without British heritage and it is a disgrace.

Certain sports like AFL, Rugby and football have had Indigenous players and with Rugby league it is pretty high.

So the racism in Australia must be restricted to Cricket!!:yuvi

Biden is a mush but this is far fetched. Besides ALL Indians offered a green card would mean Modi and his wife will be the only ones left in India.

There are so many who return back though. Among my 30+ friends who came around the same time in early 2000s less than half remain here. interesting thing is almost all who returned are either in vp/director roles or retired wirh fat investments. Oh! The path not taken.

There are so many who return back though. Among my 30+ friends who came around the same time in early 2000s less than half remain here. interesting thing is almost all who returned are either in vp/director roles or retired wirh fat investments. Oh! The path not taken.

If you are in the Top 5% income bracket in India - living in India is better than USA. U will get all the perks of living in US like big house , car plus benefits u don't get in US ( maid , cook, cheap education for kids, cheap healthcare ). For those below the Top 5% , US is much better proposition !

That's why many folks live in US for few years , save money and then come back to India for comfortable life. Also smart folks have their kids are born in USA - so the kids have US citizenship and can easily go back to the US in future if they want to

I'd wager aboriginals don't necessarily watch/play cricket

In 1868, a cricket team composed of Aboriginal Australians toured England between May and October of that year, thus becoming the first organised group of Australian sportspeople to travel overseas. I think it has more to do with institutional racism against them. Aussies are well known to have deeply ingrained racist attitudes in them. Some years back Indian students in Australia were subjected to open hatred too.

Reuters - SYDNEY: Visiting the Malaysian city where she was born, Australian Foreign Minister Penny Wong said her story showed that Australia was part of Asia, as new data showed more than half of Australians were born overseas or had an immigrant parent.

Wong visited Kota Kinabalu, the capital of Sabah state, where she lived for eight years as a child before migrating to Australia, as part of an official visit to Malaysia.

“One in two Australians are either born overseas or have parents who were born overseas so this is a very Australian experience,” she told media on her first visit to Malaysia since a Labor government won office last month.

“It matters that Australia speaks to South East Asia in a way that recognises that we are part of this region and our futures are shared,” she said.

Results of a census conducted every five years and released on Tuesday showed for the first time more than half of the Australian population (51.5pc) were born overseas or had a migrant parent.

“We are a multicultural and diverse nation ... It is one of the strengths of who Australia is and we should tell that story in the region more,” she said. Wong recalled a day earlier in a speech that her grandmother, of Hakka Chinese descent, had raised her children alone in Sabah after most of the family died in World War Two.

Wong’s father won an Australian scholarship to study architecture at the University of Adelaide, which “meant he could climb out of the poverty he experienced as a child”.

He married an Australian woman, and the couple returned to raise a family in Kota Kinabalu.

Wong’s comments and official visit to Malaysia come two decades after a former Malaysian prime minister, Mahathir Mohamad, famously said Australia could not join an East Asian diplomatic group because “they are Europeans, they cannot be Asians”. Mahathir later predicted in a 2019 newspaper interview that migration meant Australia would in future “be more Asian than European”.

In an emailed statement late on Friday, Mahathir said he was proud that a Malaysia-born Australian was the foreign minister and that all nations will be multiracial “because of ease of travel and porous borders.”

In 1868, a cricket team composed of Aboriginal Australians toured England between May and October of that year, thus becoming the first organised group of Australian sportspeople to travel overseas. I think it has more to do with institutional racism against them. Aussies are well known to have deeply ingrained racist attitudes in them. Some years back Indian students in Australia were subjected to open hatred too.

It's a given European colonies a la South Africa and Australia are quite inherently prejudiced but cultures change and trends shift. Ultimately, history is written by the victor.

Pakistanis, if knew their 19th century history and its direct impact on the peninsula that became 'Pakistan', might not be so blase in their understanding of it. How have the Hindu become the enemy?.

Are there any prominent Indian tv or film stars in Aus? Or are they all invisible like in the US?

It's a given European colonies a la South Africa and Australia are quite inherently prejudiced but cultures change and trends shift. Ultimately, history is written by the victor.

Pakistanis, if knew their 19th century history and its direct impact on the peninsula that became 'Pakistan', might not be so blase in their understanding of it. How have the Hindu become the enemy?.

What have Hindu's and Pakistan got to do with racism in Australia?? Seems as if you've clearly lost the plot here!:yuvi Where as racism is everywhere in the world some countries have a greater image of being racists. Here the Aussies top the list.

Look at the state of Indian Muslim's before you ask why Hindu's have become the enemy in Pakistan. It is Hindu's who can't get over Mughal rule of India.

Are there any prominent Indian tv or film stars in Aus? Or are they all invisible like in the US?

Our commercial TV is still very Anglo, we have some who are south Asian but are from Singapore or Malaysia rather than India.

Back