Mughal Empire Appreciation Thread - Positive Contributions of Mughals in Indian Subcontinent

Even the most right wing government in India won't support Israeli actions in Palestine regardless of popular support for Israel.

On the other hand , even the most left wing governments in Britain will never completely stop regardless of whether there is popular support for Israel or not.

Britain is committed to further Israeli interests . So no, there is no equivalence there.

If you are a Brit, you necessarily support Zionist actions regardless of what your personal opinion is. It's simply the nature of the British state.

Govt policy is locked in to support Israel currently that is true. But we live in a democracy and that means eventually the govt has to reflect public opinion which is starting to turn against the Zionist carnage in Palestine.

Many British journalists and celebrities are also now speaking out, look up Owen Jones, Charles Dance, James Corden just to name a few.

I have no way of verifying who Bharat govt will support in the middle east, but I can gauge their public view by who is elected to power, and what their supporters write on social media. I don't think it would be Palestine.

Govt policy is locked in to support Israel currently that is true. But we live in a democracy and that means eventually the govt has to reflect public opinion which is starting to turn against the Zionist carnage in Palestine.

Many British journalists and celebrities are also now speaking out, look up Owen Jones, Charles Dance, James Corden just to name a few.

I have no way of verifying who Bharat govt will support in the middle east, but I can gauge their public view by who is elected to power, and what their supporters write on social media. I don't think it would be Palestine.
you can look at historical support for PLO by GOI and contrast that with Pak army contributions to Jordan during the black september crisis

Mughals did one good thing. They put an end to the Delhi Sultanate. The former slaves of the Ghaznavid and Ghorid dynasties gained power when the short lived Ghorid rule came to an end.
Delhi sultanate was brutal. According to wiki, half of its population were slaves working as servants for Amirs and Muslim nobles while the women were held as concubines.
So Babur literally emancipated all those thousands of people who were held as slaves by the Mamluk rulers.

It’s ironic that the slaves of Ghaznavid and Ghorid rulers made local population as slaves after becoming rulers.

Qutub Minar is a great monument built by Qutub-al-din Aibak who was a great enslaver. He is the originator of Delhi Sultanate.

Long story short, Mughals saved the local North Indian population from the slavery of Delhi Sultanate.

you can look at historical support for PLO by GOI and contrast that with Pak army contributions to Jordan during the black september crisis

What happened decades ago is not really relevant to today. Policies change as govts change, I think that much is evident by who is sitting in power in Delhi today.

What happened decades ago is not really relevant to today. Policies change as govts change, I think that much is evident by who is sitting in power in Delhi today.
What policy has changed with respect to Israel/Palestine ? Enlighten us.

This is an equivalent thread on their contribution.

This is not an equivalent thread. Stop derailing the thread by going off-topic.

Also, that post wasn't even for you. Not sure why you are butting in.

Many Indian posters here try to paint Mughals as invaders and looters while ignoring their various positive contributions. I am making this thread to highlight some of those contributions.

Here is the list:

Architecture: Mughals managed to achieve incredible architectural achievements. One of their buildings (Taj Mahal) is now considered as one of the seven wonders of the world. Another example would be Red Fort in Delhi.

Bringing Indian subcontinent under one domain: Prior to Mughals, Indian subcontinent was divided into many different empires. Mughals managed to unify some of those empires. I think it is fair to say Mughals have had a significant contribution behind Akhand Bharat.

Administrative Contributions: Various administrative features of Mughals were eventually adopted by future empires (Rajput, Maratha, and British).

Economic Contributions:

Agricultural Contributions:

Shipbuilding Industry:

Mughal Textile Industry:

References:

Can I talk about the Brutality unleashed by Mughals over Sikhs in the name of forced conversions, murder and subjugation. It's not a pretty picture and details are very graphic @FearlessRoar @The Bald Eagle @BouncerGuy
My previous thread was deleted.
I can start a new one.

One contribution of the Mughal period which is not mentioned often is the development of Indian Classical Music.

To me, a great positive contribution of the Mughal Empire is the cuisine. They blended their Central Asian/Afghan specialties with Indian spices and fused both cooking styles to create Mughlai cuisine, arguably one of the best and tastiest in the world.

To me, a great positive contribution of the Mughal Empire is the cuisine. They blended their Central Asian/Afghan specialties with Indian spices and fused both cooking styles to create Mughlai cuisine, arguably one of the best and tastiest in the world.
Mughals gave great Biriyani :)

That was their favorite pass time. Food and women. By the time of Aurangzeb, Mughals have established very well in Indian subcontinent and made allies with the only tough opposition they faced in the form of Rajputs.

The common man on the street was not rolling in Gold and Biryani. Poverty was still there. But Mughals, their army generals and allies had great time from 1650-1800. I

Mughal cuisine is the most unhealthy cuisine on the planet, full of ghee and butter. Every middle aged man in India has a small protruding belly because of it.

Mughal cuisine is the most unhealthy cuisine on the planet, full of ghee and butter. Every middle aged man in India has a small protruding belly because of it.
Ghee is healthy in limited quantities.

I do agree that the Mughlai cuisine is unhealthy. I am not too sure if what we eat today is what Mughals were eating.

Middle aged Indian men have potbellies because of eating too much carbs, not due to Mughlai food. Potbellies are also widely seen among Southern Indian men, and Mughlai food isn't very popular in the South.

Agreed! I love Mughal cuisine like anything. A day without meat or fish, is a day wasted for me and other Assamese people.

Middle aged Indian men have potbellies because of eating too much carbs, not due to Mughlai food. Potbellies are also widely seen among Southern Indian men, and Mughlai food isn't very popular in the South.

well yes .. rice & wheat is the chief villian here. But add to that the oil and fat of mughal dishes and you have a recipe for massive health issues.

Anyways, those barbaric and uncivilised animals can be glorified in Pakistan and East Pakistan. No problems!

We aren’t going to glorify them in our land. It’s a shame quite a lot of them are buried in our land.

One contribution of the Mughal period which is not mentioned often is the development of Indian Classical Music.
Carnatic Music got diverged into Hindustani due to Islamic empires and Persian influence coming in, not necessarily the Mughals..
Even others did in that case,Mughal contribution is over glorified.

Without Mughals, current India might have been divided into multiple small countries.

Anyway, first post of the thread highlighted many of the positive contributions of Mughal Empire.

India’s GDP accounted for 24% of the world’s economy at its peak under the Mughal Empire in 1600s.

British Empire looted $46 trillion in their reign in India. Widespread famine and poverty was a hallmark of their reign as they drained the land dry of resources.

Yet the brainwashing going on India regarding the “evils” of the Mughals in their textbooks is non stop while each and every one of them is frothing at the mouth to be acknowledged by an angraiz tourist 🤡
Apart from religion why would anyone be happy if they are occupied/ ruled by an alien civilisation that includes even British era.

Cuisine and architecture are good but even before them we were rich. If not for Mughals, probably British / Dutch/ Portugese would have invaded us early and there would have been 1.8 billion hindus under 1 country from sindh till sylhet.

Without Mughals, current India might have been divided into multiple small countries.

Anyway, first post of the thread highlighted many of the positive contributions of Mughal Empire.
That is true, 1.8 billion people from Pak till Desh. There would have been more smaller nations (5-6) but there would have been better harmony and less wars as there would have been no religion divide.

Apart from religion why would anyone be happy if they are occupied/ ruled by an alien civilisation that includes even British era.

Cuisine and architecture are good but even before them we were rich. If not for Mughals, probably British / Dutch/ Portugese would have invaded us early and there would have been 1.8 billion hindus under 1 country from sindh till sylhet.
lol yes. The Brits that took India from one of the wealthiest if not the wealthiest territory in the world from Mughal hands all the way down to the poorest would some how unify modern day Pak, BD, India… when they are the ones who caused the most amount of division.

Anything and everything being thrown here to paint Mughals as the bad guys 😂

With or without Mughals, it was British that gave a full definition for India. Prior to British, India had Mauryan and Gupta periods too.

Mughals were self serving barbarians. Loads of women and food for them while normal public suffered.

lol yes. The Brits that took India from one of the wealthiest if not the wealthiest territory in the world from Mughal hands all the way down to the poorest would some how unify modern day Pak, BD, India… when they are the ones who caused the most amount of division.

Given how frequently Indians use the word 'Lakshmi,' one might assume that every Indian holds an admiration for the Mughals.

Mughal Renaissance Era is not far away. Indian Muslims can only take so much before they flex their muscle as 2nd biggest Muslim population and the pagans and idol worshipping Hindus are exposed again on the battle field.

The Mughals are owed a debt for inventing biriyani in India .. i'll give you that.

5000 years of Hinduism could not come up with a more sumptuous dish.

Mughal Renaissance Era is not far away. Indian Muslims can only take so much before they flex their muscle as 2nd biggest Muslim population and the pagans and idol worshipping Hindus are exposed again on the battle field.
:troll

Pakistan has over taken Indian Muslim population. Indian Muslims are still under 20 crores. Pak Muslim population has crossed 24 crores and Mashallah still going strong. (y)

Whether Indian Muslims like it or not, they have to live with Hindus. Indian government is also keeping an eye on Maddrassahs that teach hatred. Young Muslims are relatively secular.

The Mughals are owed a debt for inventing biriyani in India .. i'll give you that.

Another rubbish.

Biryani came to India from Persia long before the Mughals came.

Wrong, it was introduced by Emperor Babur.
It’s a Persian dish with Indian spices added. So it is perfected in India.
It doesn’t matter who brought it, the OG’s of Biryani are Persians.

Below is from Google AI
  • Mughals brought it from Persia
    Some say that the Mughals introduced biryani to India after bringing the Persian dish "pilaf" to the region during the medieval period. The word "biryani" comes from the Persian word "birinj," which means "rice".

Queen Noor Jahan introduced it
    Some say that Queen Noor Jahan brought the recipe for biryani with her when she married Emperor Jahangir, and it quickly became popular in the Mughal court.

Have to disagree man.

While Biryani is delicious, I authentic South Indian dishes. You simply cannot beat a steaming idly and dosa with sumptuous sambar, coconut chutney and ginger chutney with a few drops of ghee on it. It’s heaven. The aroma is intoxicating.

I find Mughlai recipes a bit oily and sometimes masala overwhelms the smell as well as our behind in the morning 👀

Wrong, it was introduced by Emperor Babur.

No it wasn't. It was introduced in India long before Mughals came.

India and Persia had ancient trade relations.

Biryani comes from Persian word Birinj/Beriyan.

Have to disagree man.

While Biryani is delicious, I authentic South Indian dishes. You simply cannot beat a steaming idly and dosa with sumptuous sambar, coconut chutney and ginger chutney with a few drops of ghee on it. It’s heaven. The aroma is intoxicating.

I find Mughlai recipes a bit oily and sometimes masala overwhelms the smell as well as our behind in the morning 👀

South Indian dishes are tasty, certainly I would put them ahead of North Indian food. With Indian food traditionally tending towards veggie food due to religious reasons, South Indian seasoning tends to suit better in my opinion.

Mughal dishes would have introduced more meat to the region, so kebabs, koftas, tandoor etc become more representative of the Mughal era.

Back