India-Pakistan series cannot be compared with Ashes: Wasim Akram

Hitman

Test Debutant
Runs
Link: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...th-Ashes-Wasim-Akram/articleshow/21067851.cms

Pakistan bowling legend Wasim Akram has said that the intensity and competitiveness of the Ashes series cannot be compared with any India-Pakistan match.

Although many regard the Ashes as the pinnacle in the cricketing arena, Akram, who is in the UK for the first Test, believes that although India-Pakistan games are similar to the Ashes, but if a Pakistan team lost, they might not be back again the next time.

However, Akram said that if Australia or England lost a match then they probably resign themselves to their fate and say 'never mind, better luck next time'.

Citing the example of Pakistan's 1996 World Cup quarterfinal in Bangalore against India, Akram said that he and his team lost the game, after which as a captain, he was told by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) not to come back, adding that the entire team did not go back to Lahore.

Meanwhile, Akram, who snared nearly 1,000 wickets in Test and ODI games, revealed that he enjoyed playing under Pakistan legend Imran Khan, who he claimed was his idol growing up, adding that Khan was his main inspiration and is still a mentor to him, like many cricketers.

Akram also said that he used to have pictures of Khan on his bedroom wall.

Strongly criticising the Pakistan set-up following the team's miserable showing in the ICC Champions Trophy, Akram called for drastic changes to the squad, saying that even though the bowling is phenomenal, the batsmen are struggling, adding that they need to play more Test cricket and domestic games.

However, Akram, who played in 104 Tests between 1985 and 2002, praised pacer Mohammad Irfan, calling him a real star in a team, which lost all three of their fixtures in the short-format event in England.

Too much at stake when India Pak play so yes he's right

It was on cricket am yesterday. I was In the audience.

1996 qf was the correct example.

In ODIs it is a great rivalry but in tests India has to up the ante to make it competitive on good/supporting pitches. The best thing I like about ashes is pitches and explosive spells from fit strong fast bowlers from both sides(with batsmen toiling hard). A better venue for India-Pakistan test series could be England, but for that India has to show improvement in test fast bowling and if it is achieved than nothing can stop it from competing with ashes. Until then ashes is superior.

Last edited:
Ashes is more like a friendly rivalry... India vs Pakistan is anything but that.

I really hope India agrees to play Ashes like test series with Pakistan.

I dont want to get into debate about it will happen or not, BCCI wont allow it etc. etc.

I just wish for it to happen. It will be epic dont u agree.

the intensity of indo-pak games is way higher... i remember hearing stories like a guy shot himself when pak lost the 99 WC final...

but tbh i love the ashes too, the quality of grounds and big crowds is amazing

1996 qf was the correct example.

Not really, I think it's a poor example. Why compare a single ODI game at a World Cup with a 5 match Test series that takes place consistently every couple of years?

I doubt we will ever see a 5 match Test series between India and Pakistan, and I can pretty much guarantee the stadiums won't be full as they are currently for the Ashes.

We all want to believe that nothing compares to the hype of an India-Pakistan match, yet the last Test series between the two was played in near empty stadiums. I know a lot of that has to do with the weather/pitches, but it's just another why the Ashes, as a Test series, is far superior.

Yeah i fully agree its a more intense rivalry with both teams equally matched when it comes to talent (and by talent i mean your own).

Its a pity these two nations dont play that often against each other. Would have loved to see a bowling attack of Amir, Asif, Akhtar (when fit), Ajmal, Kaneria/Rehman (That would be the best bowling attack in the world IMO by far). Against the likes of Laxman, Dravid and co. at their peak.
Very disappointing that politics, poor management at boardroom, spot fixing etc. have made us miss out :-(

I dont know why it is so important for posters to claim that Ind v Pak matches are better or more rivalry or whatever then the ashes but does anyone other than a few posters here really care.

I'm sure the ashes will always mean more to me than the Ind v Pak matches and I'm sure the Ind v Pak matches will always mean more to Pak and Ind fans.

Give an India vs Pakistan test series a title like ashes and the people would be more interested. People would think their team is fighting for something special and not just another ordinary trophy and that would draw a lot of attention and hype.

I think the problem with India and Pakistan is all the non cricket related hatred.

Australia and England might hate each other on the pitch but we're basically brothers off it.

I think the problem with India and Pakistan is all the non cricket related hatred.

Australia and England might hate each other on the pitch but we're basically brothers off it.

The Aussies are the brothers and the poms are our sisters.

The comparison is a non starter. We don't play each other enough.

Also, I don't think things like "don't come back if you lose" or people shooting themselves are things to be proud of. It is not healthy in sport. Thankfully, I think we are moving on from that phase ...I can at least talk on behalf of my generation of Indians. We didn't feel the last ODI series loss was the end of the world or anything. While there is definitely an extra edge, it is nowhere as crazy as it used to be ten or twenty years back. The fact that there is so much cricket being played may have something to do with it as also the fact that we have done quite well as a cricket team and no longer feel that beating Pak is the biggest thing one can achieve.

But that hatred is only on a political level. politicians and some "religious" entities gain from it.

We common Pakistanis don't hate Indians. And I'm sure Indians feel the same way

Agreed.

Australia and England is a sporting rivalry, they tend to have a beer together after the game.

India and Pakistan is more of a political rivalry, and a hateful one at that. Legacy of Partition.

The other big difference is the crowd attendance. Most of the Ashes are sold out but when Ind toured Pakistan the total attendance for all the matches was probably less the 100,000. The other thing is the poor wickets for Ind V Pakistan matches compared to the sporting wickets in the Ashes.

Attendance is more a function of how difficult it is to get to a ground and spend the whole day there. The weather in our countries is also not that conducive for a day out in the sun. One may brave it for an ODI or T20 but five whole days is asking for too much.

Indians and Pakistan kill each other on a regular basis in wars and border skirmishes. Aus and Eng don't so is less intense.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/j8Bc7eRTdWY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this guy also agrees with Wasim and thinks ashes are over-rated

what happens next is, as they say, history :asif

Attendance is more a function of how difficult it is to get to a ground and spend the whole day there. The weather in our countries is also not that conducive for a day out in the sun. One may brave it for an ODI or T20 but five whole days is asking for too much.

Without the full houses. there is no atmosphere.

And also colonialism and nationalism.

The Ashes actually predate the existance of Australia as a nation.

The branding of this series as 'The Ashes' and all the hype that goes along with it wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for the 'obituary' in 1882.

Don't get me wrong I think it's fantastic to watch, I just think that if we are comparing rivalries, India-Pakistan is more intense and 'means' more. I'd say the same about England-Argentina/Germany in football, Holland/Germany etc. Unfortunately when it comes to international sport, one has to take into account politics, war and the rest.

Ashes is great to watch for any test cricket fan, Test matches are result oriented, people come to watch test cricket, Pitches are great for test cricket...

and in contrast in Pak-India test matches, pitches are dull, grounds are empty, and most probable results are dull Draws, look at last 2 series b/w PAkistan and India... In both series there were 2 draws each, and i find only one pitch good for test cricket in those 6 test matches i.e Karachi 2006 test match..

So basically there isnt even a comparison, Ashes is far far ahead, though in ODI cricket i would rather watch Pak. vs India than Eng vs Aus

Too much at stake when India Pak play so yes he's right

Maybe till about 5 or 6 years back. Now it is becoming a relatively routine affair. Or maybe we are just getting tired of seeing India play.

Broad 's shameless wasting of time.....cheapness of such level can never be part of an Ind-pak series

Broad 's shameless wasting of time.....cheapness of such level can never be part of an Ind-pak series

All teams try to waste time when they are struggling and close of play is near, so it's not really a new thing...

I remember moin khan wasting time in 2001 Karachi test against England....

I don't understand why Indian fans are so excited whenever they get over Pakistan. Pakistan can match India in Cricket despite having 1/10 of your population and less money and resources :D

Not really, I think it's a poor example. Why compare a single ODI game at a World Cup with a 5 match Test series that takes place consistently every couple of years?

I doubt we will ever see a 5 match Test series between India and Pakistan, and I can pretty much guarantee the stadiums won't be full as they are currently for the Ashes.

We all want to believe that nothing compares to the hype of an India-Pakistan match, yet the last Test series between the two was played in near empty stadiums. I know a lot of that has to do with the weather/pitches, but it's just another why the Ashes, as a Test series, is far superior.

What he said was the rivalry NOT about test series for both rivalries.

The India-Pakistan rivalry is different in that it has been ruined by politics AND it seems on the surface that both nations are Obsessed by ODIs.

As a test series the Ashes is the best...but talking about the rivalry between both teams and the effects it has on the populations of both teams let alone expats around the world is incomparable.

The 96 qf aftermath showed how much the game meant to Pakistani fans; you wouldn't get that in any England v Australia games or their aftermath.

I agree that I would always watch an Ashes test over an India v Pak game but I would always watch Ind V Pak ODI and 20/20.

I dont know why it is so important for posters to claim that Ind v Pak matches are better or more rivalry or whatever then the ashes but does anyone other than a few posters here really care.

I'm sure the ashes will always mean more to me than the Ind v Pak matches and I'm sure the Ind v Pak matches will always mean more to Pak and Ind fans.

1.42 billion people think Pakistan v India > Ashes. 90 million odd feel otherwise.

Intensity of India-Pak is definitely more, because of history etc. Compared to that, Ashes seems more of a fun rivalry. Apart from the pitches, attendance, I feel the build-up is different too. The banter of ex-cricketers, tongue-in-cheek comments from players(past and present), won't happen in India-Pak. At least that is what it looks like from the news, internet sites etc. For some of the remarks made during the build-up, there would be demands for apologies and what not from both sides. So, I agree, comparison with Ashes are misplaced.

India-Pak One-day matches are electric though.

Last edited:

Yes!

“Cricket brings them together” - Wasim Akram on India-Pakistan rivalry

Cricket has the power to end the tensions between Pakistan and India, according to former Pakistan captain and cricket legend Wasim Akram.

The rivalry between Pakistan and India has long been branded as one of the most extreme rivalries in world sport but speaking on Wednesday's OTB AM, Akram said that while on the crease the two countries may be enemies, off it cricket can bring them together.

Akram was speaking alongside former Indian captain Dilip Vengsarkar, and the two former stars agreed that the stature of the countries’ rivalry is the biggest in the world.

“We talk about the Ashes as the biggest cricket rivalry, but there is no comparison to India-Pakistan”, Akram declared.

“There is 1.3 billion people in India and 200 million plus people in Pakistan. Imagine the pressure before. At home your mum says don't lose. Your dad says don't lose. Your aunts say don't lose. So for a month you go through this pressure.”

“If you perform well against India as a Pakistani - and vice versa for an Indian against Pakistan - you become a sudden hero in the whole country. All the sponsorship, everybody is after you and if you don't perform well you go right to the bottom."

Akram also recounted the extreme reaction he got from fans when he missed an India versus Pakistan game during the 1996 World Cup through injury.

“I was told by the cricket board [after that] not to come to Pakistan, and I said: ‘It’s my country, where do you want me to go?’”

“And then some people stoned my house so it comes to that extent but what people don't realise is that at the end of the day it is a sport. Somebody has to win, somebody has to lose. As long as you give your 100%, then in the end the best team wins.”

When asked if sport had the power to bring about political change and diplomacy between the two countries, Akram emphasised the importance of “people to people contact” between India and Pakistan.

“This one sport, cricket, brings them together every time. I remember when the Indian team toured in 2005 to Pakistan, the whole of Pakistan was awake looking after thousands of Indians coming [to the country] for the first time, they got looked after beautifully by Pakistan.

“And vice versa if a Pakistani team goes to India and Pakistani supporters go and support their team, they get looked after in India very well too.”

Vengsarkar added: “When you look at the game you see it as a sport and you look at it positively in that sense. Because from sport you can only gain.”

India and Pakistan will play each other in the ICC one day international World Cup on June 16th this summer.

https://www.offtheball.com/other-sports/cricket-brings-together-wasim-akram-india-pakistan-854941

Too bad it seems we won't see a India Pakistan series for a long while. Would be nice to have a full tour of 3 tests, 5 ODIs and 3 T20s.

A film depicting the cricket rivalry between India and Pakistan at the World Cups will be released soon by Sports Flashes, the company has announced.

The film titled, 'First film on India vs Pakistan rivalry at cricket World Cups' will be presented by Sunil Gavaskar and Harbhajan Singh who will share their experiences on the India-Pakistan World Cup rivalry.

The movie will include building pressure before matches and will also involve action, drama and emotional upheavals during the matches.

The stories of sledging and on-field confrontation will characterise the battles between the two cricketing nations.

Speaking on the occasion, Gavaskar said, "India-Pakistan cricket World Cup matches are the most watched across the globe. The movie on India-Pak cricket rivalry will re-live the memories not only for us but for millions of cricket fans in the country. Personally, it will be an emotional moment for me to be part of this movie. Hope it would be great experience for the audience."

Singh, on his part, said, "I was part of the World Cup winning team in 2011, where we won against Pakistan in semi-finals, this movie will help cherish those moments again. I think the movie will help us share our experiences with our future generations."

https://www.business-standard.com/a...tan-rivalry-at-world-cups-119050300721_1.html

Back