India slips in World Press Freedom Index, ranks 161 out of 180 countries, Pakistan at 150

Bhaag Viru Bhaag

Senior Test Player
Runs
In comparison, Pakistan climbed up seven ranks to reach 150 this year.

India’s ranking in the 2023 World Press Freedom Index has slipped to 161 out of 180 countries, according to the latest report released by global media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF). In comparison, Pakistan has fared better when it comes to media freedom as it was placed at 150, an improvement from last year’s 157th rank. In 2022, India was ranked at 150.

Sri Lanka also made significant improvement on the index, ranking 135th this year as against 146th in 2022

Norway, Ireland and Denmark occupied the top three positions in press freedom, while Vietnam, China and North Korea constituted the bottom three.

Reporters Without Borders (RSF) comes out with a global ranking of press freedom every year. RSF is an international NGO whose self-proclaimed aim is to defend and promote media freedom. Headquartered in Paris, it has consultative status with the United Nations. The objective of the World Press Freedom Index, which it releases every year, “is to compare the level of press freedom enjoyed by journalists and media in 180 countries and territories” in the previous calendar year.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...-161-out-of-180-countries/article66806608.ece

Congratulations to Pakistan but i doubt they will prefer this over 2021 economy.

Same with China-Vietnam.

Same organization had lost its marbles in 2008 against China -Beijing Beijing Olympics and look how far China has come since then.

Congratulations to Pakistan but i doubt they will prefer this over 2021 economy.

Same with China-Vietnam.

Same organization had lost its marbles in 2008 against China -Beijing Beijing Olympics and look how far China has come since then.

The situation with the economy notwithstanding, ranked #150 is not something to write home about either.

But India's position is definitely very alarming considering the fact its the most populous nation in the world now. Thats a lot of people who are being denied basic right to the truth and freedom. Not much better than China.

The situation with the economy notwithstanding, ranked #150 is not something to write home about either.

But India's position is definitely very alarming considering the fact its the most populous nation in the world now. Thats a lot of people who are being denied basic right to the truth and freedom. Not much better than China.

Basic right to truth and freedom can easily be manipulated as well by countries outside.

But India definitely will keep falling at current rate though..

Basic right to truth and freedom can easily be manipulated as well by countries outside.

But India definitely will keep falling at current rate though..

Did not understand that part? Care to elaborate?

i think honestly speaking we are worse than INDIA AT THE MOMENT. The way a journalist was murdered in Africa, and the dissidents have been violated by the present government and all the media is entirely quiet about it and if you remember a while back there was a Maryam Nawaz audio leak of a conference call with party leadership where she had ordered that there be no ads given to media outlets supporting PTI, which surprised me because
1. of course for obvious reasons something like this is so openly discussed during a conference call, shows their level of madmashi
and 2) they have so much influence over the businesses and corporations who are putting ads out on TV that they can manipulate them into not giving business to channels supporting PTI.

Very very strange, but all of this means our ranking should, in fact, be much much lower than it is.

Did not understand that part? Care to elaborate?

Any major country, corporation outside of the country with enough resources can tirelessly pay media journalist to create a narrative even though the country in question is making the right decision wrt their country.

Any major country, corporation outside of the country with enough resources can tirelessly pay media journalist to create a narrative even though the country in question is making the right decision wrt their country.

I thought it was only the Pakistanis who had the "the world is out to get us which is why they are always bad mouthing us disease" but I guess Indians have it too.

I thought it was only the Pakistanis who had the "the world is out to get us which is why they are always bad mouthing us disease" but I guess Indians have it too.

Not when facts can corroborate that. For instance I can name numerous prominent and vehemently anti-Modi anti-BJP journalists and celebrities that are as active as ever in India. Ironically those in India that are crying hoarse about press freedom have a horrible track record in this regard. Nehru and Indira were absolute dictators when compared to Modi.

Fun fact Nirmala Sitharaman's husband is a vocal critic of BJP/Modi. It hasn't gotten in her way of getting bigger responsibilities.

India’s ranking in the 2023 World Press Freedom Index has slipped to 161 out of 180 countries, according to the latest report released by global media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF). In comparison, Pakistan has fared better when it comes to media freedom as it was placed at 150, an improvement from last year’s 157th rank. In 2022, India was ranked at 150.

Sri Lanka also made significant improvement on the index, ranking 135th this year as against 146th in 2022

Norway, Ireland and Denmark occupied the top three positions in press freedom, while Vietnam, China and North Korea constituted the bottom three.

Reporters Without Borders (RSF) comes out with a global ranking of press freedom every year. RSF is an international NGO whose self-proclaimed aim is to defend and promote media freedom. Headquartered in Paris, it has consultative status with the United Nations. The objective of the World Press Freedom Index, which it releases every year, “is to compare the level of press freedom enjoyed by journalists and media in 180 countries and territories” in the previous calendar year.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/natio...-161-out-of-180-countries/article66806608.ece

Iam shocked that you were actually able to construct a post without using inane smileys. Hope everything is ok!!

Just today Rana Ayub went to UNESCO event and blabbered about India. Dont know how these ranking are measured.

Iam shocked that you were actually able to construct a post without using inane smileys. Hope everything is ok!!

Everyone use smileys. Are you new to internet lol? And I am not sure what that has got to do with the OP? It seems me sharing this news hurt you pretty badly? :inti

Not when facts can corroborate that. For instance I can name numerous prominent and vehemently anti-Modi anti-BJP journalists and celebrities that are as active as ever in India. Ironically those in India that are crying hoarse about press freedom have a horrible track record in this regard. Nehru and Indira were absolute dictators when compared to Modi.

Fun fact Nirmala Sitharaman's husband is a vocal critic of BJP/Modi. It hasn't gotten in her way of getting bigger responsibilities.

They have even ranked Afghanistan above India. A country where the number of journalists has dropped by 60% since the Taliban came to power is a better place for journalists than India, according to this 'so-called' survey.

If they want to lie, at least they should tell lies that can be believed.

Last edited:

You mean facts such as those that implicated Modi in the Muslim massacre in Gujarat?

I wish there were some independent neutral sources for your claim, because I have a hard time believing and accepting anything coming from a Modi/BJP supporter.

You mean facts such as those that implicated Modi in the Muslim massacre in Gujarat?

I wish there were some independent neutral sources for your claim, because I have a hard time believing and accepting anything coming from a Modi/BJP supporter.

well there is no better independent source than your own eyes. Lookup these people on youtube/google and see if they have anything but vitriol against Modi/BJP.

1. Barkha Dutt
2. Karan Thappar
3. Ram Guha
4. Ran Ayyub
5. Arfa Khannum
6. Vir Sanghvi
7. Rajdeep Sardesai
8. Arundhati Roy

well there is no better independent source than your own eyes. Lookup these people on youtube/google and see if they have anything but vitriol against Modi/BJP.

1. Barkha Dutt
2. Karan Thappar
3. Ram Guha
4. Ran Ayyub
5. Arfa Khannum
6. Vir Sanghvi
7. Rajdeep Sardesai
8. Arundhati Roy

I meant any independent credible source that can confirm this is vitriol, I can watch them say what they want but i dont know if its lies or truth since I am no expert and i dont have time to reasearch. basically its your words against theirs and i cant be sure any of you guys are credible.

Everyone use smileys. Are you new to internet lol?

if you want to establish a cult status as a Troll-e-shahenshah then thats the correct approach. Don't let anyone stop you from getting there !.

And I am not sure what that has got to do with the OP? It seems me sharing this news hurt you pretty badly? :inti

Let me assure you this as forcefully as I can ... absolutely nothing you post will have that effect on me. The one and only one thing your posts accomplish is provide confirmation on a real-time daily basis that the country is progressing in the right direction. Keep at it as you bring a lot of joy whether you know it or not. You are the proverbial litmus test !!

if you want to establish a cult status as a Troll-e-shahenshah then thats the correct approach. Don't let anyone stop you from getting there !.

Let me assure you this as forcefully as I can ... absolutely nothing you post will have that effect on me. The one and only one thing your posts accomplish is provide confirmation on a real-time daily basis that the country is progressing in the right direction. Keep at it as you bring a lot of joy whether you know it or not. You are the proverbial litmus test !!
Are you a 5 year old kid? Look at your post. It seems something is bothering you really badly. Go see a doctor. Run.... :inti

I meant any independent credible source that can confirm this is vitriol, I can watch them say what they want but i dont know if its lies or truth since I am no expert and i dont have time to reasearch. basically its your words against theirs and i cant be sure any of you guys are credible.

I dont understand ... are you saying you cannot make out on your own if these people are singing praises or criticizing Modi/BJP ? you realize that whether or not what they are saying is factually correct is immaterial for you to decide if Journalists are allowed to run negative coverage of Modi/BJP ... right ?

Someone in clearly hurt.

I wonder what hurts RSS Indians more:

1. India is 161 out of 180
2. Pakistan ranked higher than India proving money doesn't denote progression.
3. The source is TheHindu.com

May be all 3.

:)

Someone in clearly hurt.

I wonder what hurts RSS Indians more:

1. India is 161 out of 180
2. Pakistan ranked higher than India proving money doesn't denote progression.
3. The source is TheHindu.com

May be all 3.

:)

China is among last good to know what’s your definition of progress clearly it’s western nations and their civilization as they are leading on this index hope you always agree that this ranking denotes progression.

But i have to say #3 is the most amusing of all, it’s always funny what majority Pakistanis think about the TheHindu :))

I dont understand ... are you saying you cannot make out on your own if these people are singing praises or criticizing Modi/BJP ? you realize that whether or not what they are saying is factually correct is immaterial for you to decide if Journalists are allowed to run negative coverage of Modi/BJP ... right ?

Sir,
With all due respect, I am starting to get the feeling the whole point of journalism and reporting correctly in the news is lost on you. The idea is to report what is happening, and how the powers that be are behaving or are involved. If its negative, its reported as such and if its positive its reported as such. Just the fact one side is reporting one group as entirely negative may or may not be true. But it is in by no means itself proof that the media is ONLY running negative reporting.

Sir,
With all due respect, I am starting to get the feeling the whole point of journalism and reporting correctly in the news is lost on you. The idea is to report what is happening, and how the powers that be are behaving or are involved. If its negative, its reported as such and if its positive its reported as such. Just the fact one side is reporting one group as entirely negative may or may not be true. But it is in by no means itself proof that the media is ONLY running negative reporting.

Nowhere did I claim that to be the case. All I am saying is that there is plenty of negative media coverage of Modi/BJP out there and that none of them have been sanctioned ( which contradicts the Ranking and therefore the only conclusion one can draw is that there are vested interests at play ) .

China is among last good to know what’s your definition of progress clearly it’s western nations and their civilization as they are leading on this index hope you always agree that this ranking denotes progression.

But i have to say #3 is the most amusing of all, it’s always funny what majority Pakistanis think about the TheHindu :))

I wouldn't say China is the last to know, but you certainly, having fled India for the West, is proof how much India has progressed. :)

India has left leaning outlets and right wing outlets just like USA. I see plenty of support for BJP and Hindutva and an equal bashing of BJP and Hndutva.

I don’t know who is stopping the likes of NDTV, Hindu and Print from bashing BJP and Modi. It’s 24/7 bashing. Just watch their News channels.

Lol I agree to your point..

I wouldn't say China is the last to know, but you certainly, having fled India for the West, is proof how much India has progressed. :)

I’m just agreeing with your point this ranking denotes progression..highlighting your point how West is so ahead of all other countries.

Best part this is French organization. Let that sink in :) the one you keep whining against.

Here is the article and map for your link to the most progressive countries based on your logic

https://hongkongfp.com/2023/05/03/j...-press-freedom-index-below-colombia-cameroon/

I’m just agreeing with your point this ranking denotes progression..highlighting your point how West is so ahead of all other countries.

Best part this is French organization. Let that sink in :) the one you keep whining against.

Here is the article and map for your link to the most progressive countries based on your logic

https://hongkongfp.com/2023/05/03/j...-press-freedom-index-below-colombia-cameroon/

Then you didn't understand my point that you alledgedly agree with, typical.

In English : Money doesn't denote progression, so Indians can pipe down, and Indians who fled India, can step up.

The West has certain freedoms which money cannot buy in India, like a luxurious scenic drive. Let this sink in. :)

Then you didn't understand my point that you alledgedly agree with, typical.

In English : Money doesn't denote progression, so Indians can pipe down, and Indians who fled India, can step up.

The West has certain freedoms which money cannot buy in India, like a luxurious scenic drive. Let this sink in. :)

Who is talking about India , I’m talking about West so progressive compared to the last 3 nations in the list.

Who is talking about India , I’m talking about West so progressive compared to the last 3 nations in the list.

The OP is talking about India, I am just following on.

And yes, the West is way more progressive compared to India, and you are proof of this. And yes also more progressive than China, Vietnam, and North Korea. Pretty obvious.

They have even ranked Afghanistan above India. A country where the number of journalists has dropped by 60% since the Taliban came to power is a better place for journalists than India, according to this 'so-called' survey.

If they want to lie, at least they should tell lies that can be believed.

Yup just noticed that .... it appears the criteria for judging Press freedom includes tolerance for absolutely corrupt and rogue journalists who are on the payrolls of questionable NGO's. Naturally press "freedom" is going to suffer, this is a classic example of thieves being put in charge of ethics of a society.

Yesterday, on 3rd October, 2023, raids were carried out by the Special Cell of the Delhi Police at various locations including Newsclick’s offices, residences of journalists and employees - past and present, consultants, and freelance contributors associated with Newsclick.

Several persons were questioned and continue to be questioned. As of now, our Founder-Editor 76-year old Prabir Purkayastha and our administrative officer Amit Chakraborty, who happens to be physically challenged, have been arrested.

We have not been provided with a copy of the FIR, or informed about the exact particulars of the offences with which we have been charged. Electronic devices were seized from the Newsclick premises and homes of employees, without any adherence to due process such as the provision of seizure memos, hash values of the seized data, or even copies of the data. Newsclick’s office has also been sealed in a blatant attempt at preventing us from continuing our reporting.

What we have been able to gather is that Newsclick stands accused of offences under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA), for purportedly carrying Chinese propaganda on its website.

We strongly condemn these actions of a Government that refuses to respect journalistic independence, and treats criticism as sedition or “anti-national” propaganda.

Newsclick has been targeted by a series of actions by various agencies of the Government of India since 2021. Its offices and residences of officials have been raided by the Enforcement Directorate, the Economic Offences Wing of Delhi Police and the Income Tax Department.

All devices, laptops, gadgets, phones, etc. have been seized in the past. All emails and communications have been analysed under the microscope. All bank statements, invoices, expenses incurred and sources of funds received by Newsclick in the last several years have been scrutinised by different agencies of the Government from time to time. Various directors and other related persons have spent countless hours on several occasions being interrogated by these government agencies.

Yet, in the last two plus years, the Enforcement Directorate has not been able to file a complaint accusing Newsclick of money laundering. The Economic Offences Wing of Delhi Police has not been able to file a charge sheet against Newsclick for offences under the Indian Penal Code. The Income Tax Department has not been able to defend its actions before the Courts of law.

In the last several months, Prabir Purkayastha has not even been called in for questioning by any of these agencies.

Yet, a Government that has not been able to substantiate any charges against Newsclick despite being in possession of all its information, documentation and communications, needed a motivated and bogus article published in the New York Times to invoke the draconian UAPA and attempt to shut down and stifle independent and fearless voices that portray the story of the real India – of peasants, of labourers, of farmers, and other oft-ignored sections of society.

We want to state for the record:​

1. Newsclick is an independent news website.

2. Our journalistic content is based on the highest standards of the profession.

3. Newsclick does not publish any news or information at the behest of any Chinese entity or authority, directly or indirectly.

4. Newsclick does not propagate Chinese propaganda on its website.

5. Newsclick does not take directions from Neville Roy Singham regarding the content published on its website.

6. All funding received by Newsclick has been through the appropriate banking channels and have been reported to the relevant authorities as required by law, as substantiated by the Reserve Bank of India in proceedings before the High Court of Delhi.

All journalistic content ever published on the Newsclick website is available on the internet, and can be seen by anyone. The Special Cell of Delhi Police has not referred to a single article or video that they consider to be Chinese propaganda. Indeed, the line of questioning adopted by the Special Cell of the Delhi Police – regarding reportage on the Delhi riots, the farmers protests etc., all demonstrate the motivated and malicious intent behind the present proceedings.

We have full faith in the Courts and the judicial process. We will fight for our journalistic freedom and our lives in accordance with the Constitution of India.

Police in New Delhi have raided the homes of prominent journalists linked to a left-leaning news organization known for its scrutiny of the Indian government, in a move media groups called an attack on press freedoms.

Forty-six people were questioned, and digital devices and documents had been seized for examination as part of an investigation under an anti-terror law, Delhi police said in a short statement following the raid on Tuesday.

Those questioned include reporters, editors and contributors linked to NewsClick, an independent news website known for being fiercely critical of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government.

Independent media in India is on the verge of collapse.

lol that's what the BJP would want you to believe. Not happening. No one's backing down. Abisar Sharma, at whose house the cops arrived early in the morning, has put out a series of videos where he's doubled down on attacking the Modi government.

Every single one of the non-Godi media have been on the front foot today. Even independent Youtubers like Paurush Sharma are using the opportunity to laugh at Modi even more.

No one's scared. The only people quaking are Modi and his boys :rp

Independent media in India is on the verge of collapse.

Taking money from China to run propoganda is independent journalism?

When NYT wrote an article couple of months back, they pointed out newsclick as one of the outlets taking money to spread Chinese propoganda.

Ofcourse you can say that NYT is influenced by Modi.

lol that's what the BJP would want you to believe. Not happening. No one's backing down. Abisar Sharma, at whose house the cops arrived early in the morning, has put out a series of videos where he's doubled down on attacking the Modi government.

Every single one of the non-Godi media have been on the front foot today. Even independent Youtubers like Paurush Sharma are using the opportunity to laugh at Modi even more.

No one's scared. The only people quaking are Modi and his boys :rp

Yes yes, Modi is quacking because these Youtubers who have not takers in msm and are reduced to videos on YouTube and two bit websites are going to remove Modi.

:)))

Taking money from China to run propoganda is independent journalism?

When NYT wrote an article couple of months back, they pointed out newsclick as one of the outlets taking money to spread Chinese propoganda.

This is the reference to Newsclick.

In New Delhi, corporate filings show, Mr. Singham’s network financed a news site, NewsClick, that sprinkled its coverage with Chinese government talking points. “China’s history continues to inspire the working classes,” one video said.

This half-baked journalistic piece quotes some random video's description lol

But what I find even funnier is that you are all for foreign opinion pieces now hahaha. Is that the crux of your party's case against them? Based on some foreign publication?

Meanwhile, enjoy a Newsclick journalist laughing at Modi while exiting the police cell. That's how much they are worried.

:rp

I think you need to worry more about the truth coming out regarding Modi's Chinese connections. Why did he visit China almost 20 times as CM. Who is that mysterious Chinese figure at the top of the Adani group? Why did Modi dance around Xi at Mahabalipuram and cede land like a coward a few months later. Why does he stand like a butler in front of Xi nowadays.

What is this insane hold that Xi has over our country's PM. All this doesn't bother you?

Yes yes, Modi is quacking because these Youtubers who have not takers in msm and are reduced to videos on YouTube and two bit websites are going to remove Modi.

Is that why Modi came on Youtube a few days back begging for people to click the bell button and to subscribe to his channel :haha

This is the reference to Newsclick.

This half-baked journalistic piece quotes some random video's description lol

But what I find even funnier is that you are all for foreign opinion pieces now hahaha. Is that the crux of your party's case against them? Based on some foreign publication?

Meanwhile, enjoy a Newsclick journalist laughing at Modi while exiting the police cell. That's how much they are worried.

:rp

I think you need to worry more about the truth coming out regarding Modi's Chinese connections. Why did he visit China almost 20 times as CM. Who is that mysterious Chinese figure at the top of the Adani group? Why did Modi dance around Xi at Mahabalipuram and cede land like a coward a few months later. Why does he stand like a butler in front of Xi nowadays.

What is this insane hold that Xi has over our country's PM. All this doesn't bother you?

Is that why Modi came on Youtube a few days back begging for people to click the bell button and to subscribe to his channel :haha

Modi visited or hosted Xi as official not in any personal capacity.

He was not signing personal MoUs with China.

What and which mysterious person?

Just because the Italian clan signed agreements with China in personal capacity doesn't mean everyone is a sell out.

It has repeatedly said that the territory under china was lost way back in 1960s. Was Modi the PM then?

Modi is also on WhatsApp. He is using every means to reach his constituents.

Why do you think he is the favourite to win a third term?

Now tell me why its wrong to take action against people who take money from China to run their propoganda in India.

Ind is in a desperate state. Modi is like the PK Junta, no morals, no press freedom, just thuggery. Does Ind have brave journalists like Arshad Sharif and IRK, or are have all dissenting voices been crashed by the fascist

Modi is also on WhatsApp. He is using every means to reach his constituents.
It make sense now, he always give that whatsapp auntie kind of feeling, would say anything and the rest of the aunties would believe it without putting any thoughts.

Ind is in a desperate state. Modi is like the PK Junta, no morals, no press freedom, just thuggery. Does Ind have brave journalists like Arshad Sharif and IRK, or are have all dissenting voices been crashed by the fascist

Achha? Desperate state? How?

FYI NYT reported how Chinese are funding media to push propoganda. They specifically named this outfit in India.

I know this is an old post. But I haven’t read it, so let me hazard a guess.
The usual bhakt culprits would suggest this is published by some anti-India publication, so is not true, while at the same time quoting the same publication when quoting something good about India and attributing that to Modi.

Achha? Desperate state? How?

FYI NYT reported how Chinese are funding media to push propoganda. They specifically named this outfit in India.
Yes desperate state. Arresting journalists that criticise your govt by playing one card or another is what fascists do. Remember the BBC and the Modi- as soon as doc came out the raids started, why not before if they had something, and again with this. Ind doesnt have a free press and the fascist is responsible.

Yes desperate state. Arresting journalists that criticise your govt by playing one card or another is what fascists do. Remember the BBC and the Modi- as soon as doc came out the raids started, why not before if they had something, and again with this. Ind doesnt have a free press and the fascist is responsible.
Pakistan is a poor fascist state. Bharat is a rich fascist state.

Pakistan is a poor fascist state. Bharat is a rich fascist state.
But the fascists in Pakistan are richer than Indian fascist state, its just that nobody knows about it because the money trails dont exist and they like to hang on to their money.

BBC accepted that they were evading taxes. They accepted that they hid income of nearly $5mn to pay less taxes.

So NY Times was working for Modi when they named Newsclick in their report?

The hatred pakistanis have for Modi, proves how he is the right choice for the country.

BBC accepted that they were evading taxes. They accepted that they hid income of nearly $5mn to pay less taxes.

So NY Times was working for Modi when they named Newsclick in their report?

The hatred pakistanis have for Modi, proves how he is the right choice for the country.
So why weren't they charged earlier? Why did Modi wait until had a critical documentary was made about him🤔

So why weren't they charged earlier? Why did Modi wait until had a critical documentary was made about him🤔

They were under investigation for tax evasion and violating Foreign exchange rules. It has been going on for sometime.

Raids on BBC were conducted as they were not cooperating.

Looks like BBC released the propoganda documentary to try and scare the government.

They were under investigation for tax evasion and violating Foreign exchange rules. It has been going on for sometime.

Raids on BBC were conducted as they were not cooperating.

Looks like BBC released the propoganda documentary to try and scare the government.
No, they weren't. You guys make up things as you go along because the media cells tell you as much. I guarantee that no action would have been taken against the BBC if there was no doc. I guarantee you that if CNN runs a doc tomorrow suddenly there will be a raid and you will tell us, they too were under investigation. Stop embarrassing yourself with media cell tripe.

Don't post videos without a summary of what you have seen in it and what you expect posters to react to.

This ranking reflects a challenging environment for media professionals trying to carry out their work responsibly and independently in India. People need to know the truth and question the powerful. Journalists should be safe and free to do their job anywhere around the world.

In India, journalists already face hurdles on several fronts: local media are controlled by a small number of powerful owners, mafia groups are rampant and politicians are marred by corruption accusations.

But a new threat is now emerging: through state agencies, Hindu nationalists directly target media outlets through tax audit raids, police reports and accusations of terrorism resulting in imprisonment. Journalists also face constant hate speech on social media.

Since Hindu nationalist Narendra Modi came to power as prime minister, India has fallen in the press freedom rankings and now finds itself behind Afghanistan. Our correspondents report.

Source: France 24

In India, journalists already face hurdles on several fronts: local media are controlled by a small number of powerful owners, mafia groups are rampant and politicians are marred by corruption accusations.

But a new threat is now emerging: through state agencies, Hindu nationalists directly target media outlets through tax audit raids, police reports and accusations of terrorism resulting in imprisonment. Journalists also face constant hate speech on social media.

Since Hindu nationalist Narendra Modi came to power as prime minister, India has fallen in the press freedom rankings and now finds itself behind Afghanistan. Our correspondents report.

Source: France 24
And things will only get worse. When the elite come together there is only one winner

Sure. Criticism of Modi, RSS and BJP will result in being bashed in India. Nothing new here at all. Fascists don't tolerate any criticism instead just kill them. Typical Nazi behaviour.

Sure. Criticism of Modi, RSS and BJP will result in being bashed in India. Nothing new here at all. Fascists don't tolerate any criticism instead just kill them. Typical Nazi behaviour.
A Pakistani was killed in Pakistan, and you're speaking about India?

A Pakistani was killed in Pakistan, and you're speaking about India?
What has a Pakistani being killed in Pak got to do with freedom of the press?. Many people lose their lives daily all over the world. If Indian's can speak about Pak all the time then we can do so about them.

What has a Pakistani being killed in Pak got to do with freedom of the press?. Many people lose their lives daily all over the world. If Indian's can speak about Pak all the time then we can do so about them.
You didn't get me. I assumed your post was in response to the post above yours.

You didn't get me. I assumed your post was in response to the post above yours.
Yes it was. This thread is about the Indian press freedom that i commented on. Your reply was about a Pak man dying in Pak so I asked what has that got to do with this thread?

Given that all press are peddlers of their own ideologies, this ranking means nothing. Press doesn't deserve freedom. They are sell outs, serving the interests of their biggest financers.

Lee Kuan Yew's Singapore is the best example, that people don't need press freedom. They need development, healthcare and education.

it is about time these indexes with the wisdom of the index finger are sent to the trash.

Given that all press are peddlers of their own ideologies, this ranking means nothing. Press doesn't deserve freedom. They are sell outs, serving the interests of their biggest financers.

Lee Kuan Yew's Singapore is the best example, that people don't need press freedom. They need development, healthcare and education.

it is about time these indexes with the wisdom of the index finger are sent to the trash.
At least unlike India, Pak despite all it's problems is not ruled by a bunch of subhuman Nazi's! If the media does not deserve freedom to criticize then why are you doing so Pak?. Big daddy, if the west had said the press freedom in India was the best you'd be lapping it up! So whenever the west praises the west you people love it but when they attack it then you cry foul play or dismiss it's importance. You can't have it both ways.

I mean whenever the west praises Bharat their people boast about it. When they call out their lack of press freedom and fascist regime then they are wrong and attacked for it. Don't get me started on Indian hypocrisy and clear double standards.

I’m no fan of whatever India stands for these days, but these indexes are invented by western countries who they themselves heavily censor major issues in the world.

Eg you can’t even type the word Palestine on YouTube, TikTok, or Twitter especially as a creator without getting censored or having your video or post getting taken down.

That’s why you have to type it out as p4lestine or use the 🍉 emoji which has gotten popular too.

Censorship exists across the entire world. Complete freedom doesn’t exist, even in the countries that hype it up the most

Controlling the press is not something new. It has been going on since ages and almost every part of the world.

At least unlike India, Pak despite all it's problems is not ruled by a bunch of subhuman Nazi's! If the media does not deserve freedom to criticize then why are you doing so Pak?. Big daddy, if the west had said the press freedom in India was the best you'd be lapping it up! So whenever the west praises the west you people love it but when they attack it then you cry foul play or dismiss it's importance. You can't have it both ways.
Freedom of press Pakistan ko mubarak ho. I would rather india ranks 180 out of 180 on this index. Don't imagine what I would have done if the west had praised india on press freedom. Praises are weaponized to make you act according to what they want. I am always cynical when someone praises me.

Freedom of press Pakistan ko mubarak ho. I would rather india ranks 180 out of 180 on this index. Don't imagine what I would have done if the west had praised india on press freedom. Praises are weaponized to make you act according to what they want. I am always cynical when someone praises me.
You may have not celebrated but millions of Indian's who worship the west would be celebrating every time the west praises them. These are the Indian's who long ago sold out their own culture to be like white people. They even feel embarrassed to speak their own language. You I would insist are a minority among them. It is actually Pak that long stopped caring about western criticism much more then India. Don't worry, you ain't getting no praise from me.

You may have not celebrated but millions of Indian's who worship the west would be celebrating every time the west praises them. These are the Indian's who long ago sold out their own culture to be like white people. They even feel embarrassed to speak their own language. You I would insist are a minority among them. It is actually Pak that long stopped caring about western criticism much more then India. Don't worry, you ain't getting no praise from me.
Forget the west, these indians even celebrate when pakistanis praise them. I have seen them boast that they have pakistani friends. And they may hate other indian languages, but they have special respect for urdu. They may be racist towards fellow indians from certain provinces, but have adulation for pakistanis. As I said earlier, these munafiq hindus are our main enemy.

Forget the west, these indians even celebrate when pakistanis praise them. I have seen them boast that they have pakistani friends. And they may hate other indian languages, but they have special respect for urdu. They may be racist towards fellow indians from certain provinces, but have adulation for pakistanis. As I said earlier, these munafiq hindus are our main enemy.
Why forget the west a region that most Indian's like right winger Arnab Goswami and your Bollywood family envy and worship? They complain Pak's can't speak good English yet they can't even do so their own mother language:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You are also on a Pak channel so can boast about being here too no one is stopping you! :love: Most Indian's are right to respect Urdu because they understand that during colonialist times most documents were written in this great language. What's wrong with that?. That doesn't make them haters of their own people. They don't need a certificate from you to prove their patriotism. So I have many Indian pal's as well that does not make me any of a less Pak lover.

Why forget the west a region that most Indian's like right winger Arnab Goswami and your Bollywood family envy and worship? They complain Pak's can't speak good English yet they can't even do so their own mother language:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You are also on a Pak channel so can boast about being here too no one is stopping you! :love: Most Indian's are right to respect Urdu because they understand that during colonialist times most documents were written in this great language. What's wrong with that?. That doesn't make them haters of their own people. They don't need a certificate from you to prove their patriotism. So I have many Indian pal's as well that does not make me any of a less Pak lover.
I didnt read the rest after reading "your bollywood family". Let me tell you how much I detest bollywood. If Pakistan nukes bollywood, I will be happy to become a slave of Pakistan for life.

Sorry, not going to read the rest even though I was enjoying your posts. You got me triggered with bollywood.

I didnt read the rest after reading "your bollywood family". Let me tell you how much I detest bollywood. If Pakistan nukes bollywood, I will be happy to become a slave of Pakistan for life.

Sorry, not going to read the rest even though I was enjoying your posts. You got me triggered with bollywood.
What's wrong with Bollywood!!?. Stop lying you watch them all the time especially Pak bashing films like "Fighter". I am sure you lapped that one up even if that nonsense was banned in most Gulf regions. Also, there are so many languages spoken in India yet English is always seen as the benchmark for gaining respect. Now if an Indian channel points out your position on the press freedom index you'd say they too are wrong! So only the RSS is right?? Read my last post in it's entirety.

Singapore: The ABC’s lead India correspondent Avani Dias has returned to Australia after a campaign of intimidation and bureaucratic meddling by the nationalist government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

A decision to withhold Dias’ visa came after an episode of Foreign Correspondent about Sikh separatism aired last month and before the final instalment of her podcast investigating Modi’s life.

Lobbying from the office of Australia’s Foreign Minister Penny Wong won Dias, from the ABC’s South Asia bureau, a mere two-month visa extension – but it was not delivered until after she and her partner had packed up their New Delhi home and made arrangements to leave.

They flew to Australia the next day, which was also the opening of India’s weeks-long national elections. Modi and his right-wing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) are expected to win comfortably.

Dias discusses the situation in the finale of her podcast series Looking for Modi.

“The Modi administration gave me the visa in the very last minute,” she says in the episode.

“But it felt too difficult to do my job in India. I was struggling to get into public events run by Modi’s party. The government wouldn’t even give me the passes I need to cover the election.

“It’s by design. The Narendra Modi government has made me feel so uncomfortable that we decided to leave.”

It is understood Dias, a multiple Walkley Award finalist and former host of Triple J’s current affairs flagship Hack, applied for a routine one-year visa extension early this year. But shortly before the existing visa was due to expire this month, Dias was informed her Foreign Correspondent story was not welcome, and neither was she.

The phone call from the official inside the Ministry of External Affairs also raised the podcast about Modi.

Weeks later, while the Australian government was working behind the scenes, India’s Press Information Bureau told the ABC she would not be granted election accreditation because of a direct order from External Affairs.

Journalists in India say they are increasingly subject to state intimidation, or worse. Some have been jailed. Others have been stripped of their status as an Overseas Citizen of India, a scheme allowing foreigners of Indian origin or with an Indian spouse to come and go easily.

However, such extreme cases involving Western organisations with reporters established in the country are exceedingly rare.

Critics accuse the government of enforcing an authoritarian brand of Hindu-nationalism and using state institutions to silence dissent, including the jailing this year of Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.

Weeks after the BBC broadcast a documentary about Modi’s actions as the Chief Minister of Gujarat during deadly 2002 sectarian riots, tax authorities raided the broadcaster’s Indian offices.

The Modi administration stresses its agencies are always independent.

The Foreign Correspondent piece explored the murder of Sikh separatist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in Canada, which authorities there pinned on Indian state operatives. Filming took the crew to Nijjar’s family home in India and to several activists still agitating for an independent Sikh nation called Khalistan. The issues – Khalistan and Nijjar’s personal story – are extremely sensitive to the Indian government.

The journalists were questioned in Punjab by the Criminal Intelligence Department and, despite prior approval, were blocked from filming a public event at the India-Pakistan border.

After the program aired, the Indian government used its laws to force YouTube and other social media sites to wipe this episode, and a separate news package featuring Australian Sikh activists from their Indian platforms.

The phone call from the ministry came soon after. In addition to crossing the uncrossable line of Sikh separatism, the ABC was told the episode breached foreign journalist visa rules because it was 30 minutes long. Authorities, therefore, deemed it a documentary, which had different visa requirements.

Dias and other news journalists have previously reported at this length without trouble.

“The ABC fully backs and stands by the important and impactful reporting by Avani Dias during her time as ABC correspondent in India,” ABC managing director David Anderson said.

“Avani joins the Four Corners team as a reporter in coming weeks. The ABC believes strongly in the role of independent journalism across the globe, and freedom of the press outside Australia.”

The Ministry of External Affairs and Wong’s office have been contacted for comment.

SMH

Nice to know that the truth and real intentions of BJP are slowly coming out in front of the world. However there is still a section of our population who can't see it. :inti

Back