India slips in World Press Freedom Index, ranks 161 out of 180 countries, Pakistan at 150

Almost 95% of Indian media is being bought by the ruling regime. 161 is too high a rank for our press freedom.

Singapore: The ABC’s lead India correspondent Avani Dias has returned to Australia after a campaign of intimidation and bureaucratic meddling by the nationalist government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

A decision to withhold Dias’ visa came after an episode of Foreign Correspondent about Sikh separatism aired last month and before the final instalment of her podcast investigating Modi’s life.

Lobbying from the office of Australia’s Foreign Minister Penny Wong won Dias, from the ABC’s South Asia bureau, a mere two-month visa extension – but it was not delivered until after she and her partner had packed up their New Delhi home and made arrangements to leave.

They flew to Australia the next day, which was also the opening of India’s weeks-long national elections. Modi and his right-wing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) are expected to win comfortably.

Dias discusses the situation in the finale of her podcast series Looking for Modi.

“The Modi administration gave me the visa in the very last minute,” she says in the episode.

“But it felt too difficult to do my job in India. I was struggling to get into public events run by Modi’s party. The government wouldn’t even give me the passes I need to cover the election.

“It’s by design. The Narendra Modi government has made me feel so uncomfortable that we decided to leave.”

It is understood Dias, a multiple Walkley Award finalist and former host of Triple J’s current affairs flagship Hack, applied for a routine one-year visa extension early this year. But shortly before the existing visa was due to expire this month, Dias was informed her Foreign Correspondent story was not welcome, and neither was she.

The phone call from the official inside the Ministry of External Affairs also raised the podcast about Modi.

Weeks later, while the Australian government was working behind the scenes, India’s Press Information Bureau told the ABC she would not be granted election accreditation because of a direct order from External Affairs.

Journalists in India say they are increasingly subject to state intimidation, or worse. Some have been jailed. Others have been stripped of their status as an Overseas Citizen of India, a scheme allowing foreigners of Indian origin or with an Indian spouse to come and go easily.

However, such extreme cases involving Western organisations with reporters established in the country are exceedingly rare.

Critics accuse the government of enforcing an authoritarian brand of Hindu-nationalism and using state institutions to silence dissent, including the jailing this year of Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.

Weeks after the BBC broadcast a documentary about Modi’s actions as the Chief Minister of Gujarat during deadly 2002 sectarian riots, tax authorities raided the broadcaster’s Indian offices.

The Modi administration stresses its agencies are always independent.

The Foreign Correspondent piece explored the murder of Sikh separatist Hardeep Singh Nijjar in Canada, which authorities there pinned on Indian state operatives. Filming took the crew to Nijjar’s family home in India and to several activists still agitating for an independent Sikh nation called Khalistan. The issues – Khalistan and Nijjar’s personal story – are extremely sensitive to the Indian government.

The journalists were questioned in Punjab by the Criminal Intelligence Department and, despite prior approval, were blocked from filming a public event at the India-Pakistan border.

After the program aired, the Indian government used its laws to force YouTube and other social media sites to wipe this episode, and a separate news package featuring Australian Sikh activists from their Indian platforms.

The phone call from the ministry came soon after. In addition to crossing the uncrossable line of Sikh separatism, the ABC was told the episode breached foreign journalist visa rules because it was 30 minutes long. Authorities, therefore, deemed it a documentary, which had different visa requirements.

Dias and other news journalists have previously reported at this length without trouble.

“The ABC fully backs and stands by the important and impactful reporting by Avani Dias during her time as ABC correspondent in India,” ABC managing director David Anderson said.

“Avani joins the Four Corners team as a reporter in coming weeks. The ABC believes strongly in the role of independent journalism across the globe, and freedom of the press outside Australia.”

The Ministry of External Affairs and Wong’s office have been contacted for comment.

SMH
But but feku believes in democracy!

To be honest, if this journalist has been posting untruths then India Gov has the right to show their displeasure.
feku has always been troubled by journalists asking uncomfortable questions right from his Gujarat days. Remember how he behaved and muttered "Dosti bani rahe" in that Karan Thapar interview?

Pakistan press still fare better than India
====
Pakistan dropped down two places in the 2024 World Press Freedom Index published by Reporters Without Borders (RSF) on Friday.

According to the index, published to coincide with World Press Freedom Day, Pakistan now ranks 152 out of 180 countries, compared to its standing at 150 in last year’s index.

In its country profile, RSF said that since its founding in 1947, Pakistan has “oscillated between civil society’s quest for greater press freedom and a political reality in which the political-military elite retains broad control over the media”.

It noted that Pakistan’s media landscape became “extremely diversified” since the state monopoly on broadcasting ended in 2002, adding that English-language press had a “strong tradition of independence”. RSF also noted that online media was “booming”.

It noted, however, that privately owned media was dependent on legal notices and public sector advertisements for its funding, resulting in “information ministries threatening to withdraw advertising in order to influence editorial policy”.

As a result, it said self-censorship was being encouraged in the field of journalism since “salaries are often cut when their employers are going through financial difficulties”.

RSF highlighted that “no matter their ideology, political parties support freedom of the press, but they are incapable of defending it when they come to power, due to the control of the military over the country’s affairs.”

The media watchdog noted that the government had direct control over media regulators, which “systematically favour defence of the government over the public’s right to information”.

It added that “as the military has steadily tightened its grip on civilian institutions, coverage of military and intelligence agency interference in politics has become off limits for journalists.”

The index said Pakistan was “one of the most dangerous countries in the world for journalists, with three to four murders each year that are often linked to cases of corruption or illegal trafficking and which go completely unpunished.”

The findings were backed by the Pakistan Press Freedom Report prepared by the Freedom Network released on Monday, which documented a total of 104 cases of violations against journalists and other media practitioners, including murders, attacks, injuries, kidnapping, threats and legal cases.

India, on the other hand, moved up two places to 159 compared to its 2023 ranking of 161. RSF noted that India’s media has “fallen into an ‘unofficial state of emergency’ since Narendra Modi came to power in 2014 and engineered a spectacular rapprochement between his party, the BJP, and the big families dominating the media”.

Norway retained its top position, while Eritrea came last, taking over from last year’s lowest-ranked country, North Korea.

Source: Dawn News

Three separate petitions were filed in the Lahore and Islamabad high courts on Thursday against a notification from the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (Pemra) barring the reporting and airing of content on sub-judice matters

According to a notification issued by the electronic media regulator on Tuesday, television channels were directed to “refrain from airing tickers/headlines with regard to court proceedings and shall only report the written orders of court”.

However, where court proceedings were broadcast live, the proceedings may be reported, the notification had said.

It had also said that all satellite TV channel licences were directed to not air content, including commentary, opinions or suggestions, about the potential fate of sub-judice matters which could prejudice their determination by a court or tribunal could be aired.

The ban came amid strong remarks by Islamabad High Court (IHC) senior puisne judge Justice Mohsin Akhtar Kayani about the intelligence agencies and government officials in multiple court hearings on the case of a missing Kashmiri poet.

The remarks had prompted criticism from Law Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar who said that such remarks from court proceedings should not make their way into the public domain.

He had said: “It would be good if whatever the decision is, is passed through a court order instead of such sensationalised news coming out which spreads more unrest.”

Pemra had subsequently barred reporting on court proceedings.

However, the Press Association of the Supreme Court (PAS) and the Islamabad High Court Journalists Association (IHCJA) had rejected the Pemra notification in a joint statement on Wednesday, saying that the gag order was against the independence of the courts.

“Pemra has no legal authority to prohibit the reporting of court proceedings,” the joint statement had said.

“Article 19 (freedom of expression) and 19A of the Constitution gives the right of access to information to the public,” the statement said, adding that the notification issued by Pemra was a “flagrant violation” of the Constitution.

Both associations had called for the withdrawal of the notification, warning that they would otherwise challenge it in court.

Today, two separate petitions were filed in the Lahore High Court and one by the PAS and IHCJA in the IHC against the Pemra notification.

The petitions mentioned as respondents the Pemra chairman and director general, the federal government through the secretaries for interior and law and parliamentary affairs.

The petitions in the LHC were fixed for hearing on Friday by Justice Abid Aziz Sheikh. They were filed by Advocate Samra Malik herself and Hafiz Muhammad Zain Ul Abdin through Advocates Azhar Siddique and Khawaja hmad Tariq Rahim, respectively.

The petitions called for the Pemra notification to be suspended, set aside and declared illegal.

Meanwhile, the petition in the IHC also called for the Pemra notification to be declared illegal and unconstitutional.

“The impugned notifications cannot be considered an order, decision or determination of the authority because they are not the result of the deliberation process” as per the relevant Pemra rules, the plea argued.

A draconian bill as they used to say in their opposition days
====
Punjab Governor Sardar Saleem Haider on Thursday raised the possibility of sending the Punjab Defamation Bill, 2024, back to the assembly for further consultation and review amid uproar over its passing

The Punjab Assembly had passed the defamation bill on Monday, rejecting all amendments proposed by the opposition amid protests by the PTI-backed Sunni Ittehad Council (SIC) and journalists covering parliamentary proceedings.

The SIC members tore apart copies of the bill after the House passed it through a voice vote. Subsequently, more than 80 civil society organisations registered their protest on Tuesday, outrightly rejecting the bill which was a “gross infringement on the fundamental rights of freedom of expression and press freedom”.

The Judicial Activism Panel (JAP) — a self-styled public interest forum based in Lahore — had also urged the Punjab government to reconsider the bill, calling it “draconian”, “illogical” and a “violation of the judgments of the superior courts.”

In an interesting development, even the PPP, which is an ally of the PML-N government, had distanced itself from the controversial bill.

Speaking about the entire matter in an interview on Geo News programme ’Capital Talk, the Punjab governor was questioned about the possibility of him sending the bill back to the assembly for review to which he said: “There is definitely a possibility present that I ask the provincial government to revisit the bill and try to improve it.”

The Punjab governor said he had not seen the bill as of yet, “but from what I’ve heard and from the controversy across the country, it seems that the bill needs to be rethought.”

Governor Haider said it would have been better if the matter was not rushed and the bill was presented after due time for a discussion with all stakeholders.

I was doing my job as a journalist in India. Modi's government didn’t like it

It was supposed to be an innocuous catch-up with representatives from Narendra Modi's party, the BJP, to touch base about the ABC's coverage plans for the Indian election.

More than 600 million people were about to start voting across the country.

But when my colleague from our Delhi bureau, Meghna Bali, got in a room with a party spokesman, things became terse.

"We said, 'We're from the ABC,' and … [he] looked at us in the face and said, 'You are the most hostile foreign organisation in India right now,'" she told me.

"You are after us and you have the most biased reporting."

At this point, in April, I'd been the ABC's South Asia correspondent for two and a half years and there'd been a litany of setbacks put on me by the Indian government.

The week before, I'd got a call to say I wouldn't be issued with the visa extension needed to continue reporting in India, and the press pass I required to film outside polling booths during election voting still hadn't come through.

It also followed a block on one of my stories which meant it couldn't be watched on some social media platforms in India.

I would soon pack up my life ahead of the biggest election in history — something I'd been preparing for months to cover — and return to Australia.

Writing this piece makes me uncomfortable. As a journalist, it's strange to become the story, but I'm not alone in what I've experienced.

The evidence shows there's been an unprecedented crackdown on the media in India in the 10 years since Modi came to power.

• French journalist Vanessa Dougnac — believed to be India's longest-serving foreign correspondent — had to leave this year because her permanent residency was revoked
  • Al Jazeera said its correspondent was not given a pass to cover the election
  • The BBC offices in New Delhi and Mumbai were raided by Indian authorities last year after it aired a documentary critical of Modi's treatment of the country's Muslim minority
If there's one thing I've learnt, it's that Modi – and his government – can be openly resistant to accountability.

Many of my fellow foreign correspondents have been pushed out of the country and can't share their experiences because they have family there they have to protect.

Without those connections to India, I'm in a rare position to speak openly about what happened.

Video ban

Summer was just rolling into Delhi in March. It was that sweet spot before the debilitating heat and after the polluted, bone-chilling winter, where the city is at its peak of green, ancient glory.

I'd just put out a story for the ABC's Foreign Correspondent program investigating accusations that Modi's Hindu nationalist government had killed a Canadian Sikh separatist in Vancouver — allegations the government continues to deny.

Hardeep Singh Nijjar was shot dead in the car park of a Sikh temple.

I'd travelled to Punjab and met with members in Nijjar's movement calling for the state to break away and become a separate nation. I'd also uncovered that Indian authorities had gone to Nijjar's home village in the months before he was killed.

While this was a new revelation, the story was being broadly covered all over the world — allegations that the Modi administration's spies were plotting to kill dissidents overseas shocked everyone.

A couple of days after our story went up online, the Indian government ordered YouTube and Facebook to block it.

Now when you try to access the video on YouTube in India a message says:

"This content is currently unavailable in this country because of an order from the government related to national security or public order."

I thought the ban was the end of it and that I could move on to planning for the fast-approaching election, but the next day I got a call that really shook me.

An Indian government official said my story had "crossed a line" and was "beyond extreme" because I had visited the home of Nijjar and spoke to sympathisers of his cause.

My colleague Meghna was in the room with me and heard the whole thing play out. I took contemporaneous notes as soon as I got off the phone.

Three Indian nationals have since been charged with Nijjar's murder, and investigations into whether they had ties to the Indian government are ongoing.

I honestly didn't think this would happen; Australia-India relations had appeared better than ever. I'd recently covered Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese's visit to India, where he delighted in being taken around a cricket stadium on a chariot.

A few months later, Albanese would call Modi "the boss" when he visited Sydney.

The ABC is the only Australian media organisation with a base in South Asia and I'd made an effort in my reporting to highlight the huge place India had carved out for itself on the world stage, as well as the strides it's making in development. It's not just a poverty-stricken nation as many assume; it's an emerging superpower.

And, in my podcast series, "Looking For Modi", while I raised questions about the prime minister's political image and sometimes divisive leadership, I also documented his popularity and spoke to his supporters, friends and superfans.

But things were about to get worse.

Visa block

As a foreign journalist in India, I was eligible to extend my media visa for one year at a time and had applied for a renewal in January, around the time I was shooting in Punjab.

Around the start of March, I realised others who had applied at a similar time had their visas renewed, but mine still hadn't come through.

A government official called me a few days after my story was published and said my visa was not going to come through so I should make plans to leave the country in two weeks.

A million things went through my head; I was simultaneously worried about leaving and staying and faced the daunting task of having to pack up and go, soon.

The ABC asked the Australian government to step in and lobby for my approval to stay in the country.

Meghna and our producers in the Delhi bureau eventually got their press passes to cover the election just in time, but when they went to collect them a government official laughed and said there was "no chance" I would get mine.

Indian officials would later tell local media my requirements for covering the election were "being looked into positively and could have been arranged despite previous disagreements over her coverage of Punjab". I was never given that assurance.

I was eventually granted a two-month visa extension after the Australian government intervened, but it was too late. By then I'd packed up my home to leave the country, my flight was booked for the next day, and it was clear the increasing obstructions to my reporting would make it impossible for me to do my job effectively.

'Shut up and show respect'

I flew out of Delhi as voting began in the largest democratic exercise in history.

When I returned home to Australia and my visa drama was made public, I faced a media storm.

Outlets sympathetic to the Modi government discredited me, saying the allegations I'd made about my visa being denied were "baseless" and that I had a "track record of peddling anti-Hindu propaganda".

One popular YouTuber ranted about my case, saying:

"Australia is nothing, nothing. Do you know the size of India? So next time, shut up and show respect. You're talking about the Prime Minister of India."

Publications notorious for their take-downs of anyone questioning Modi's authority got even more personal.

Perhaps my favourite of the headlines read that a "marriage lured Avani Dias back to Australia, not intimidation by Indian government".

The article failed to mention my partner had been living with me in India the whole time and our wedding happened before this all began.

Publications including the New York Times and the BBC covered my story — they quoted Indian officials who'd told them I was assured by high-ranking officials that my visa would be renewed. That never happened.

I had no certainty my visa would come through until the day before my flight.

My visa wasn't outright cancelled, a short extension was issued in the nick of time after a bureaucratic back and forth, which has allowed the Indian authorities to say I chose to leave instead of being forced out of the country.

While the Modi administration may not be marching foreign journalists out the door, its subtle clampdowns can be just as effective. It allows India to keep up its image as a friendly and free country, something that's helped it get closer to nations like Australia.

India's just been ranked 159th in this year's World Press Freedom Index out of 180 countries and territories.

Reporters Without Borders, which publishes the index, said: "With violence against journalists, highly concentrated media ownership, and political alignment, press freedom is in crisis in the world's largest democracy."

Mandeep Punia is an Indian freelance journalist who says he was beaten by Indian authorities in custody in 2021 after claiming a BJP worker attacked protesters with a petrol bomb.

Police accused him of obstructing an officer. He puts it like this:

"They broke my camera, my phone, everything … I was able to understand that this is not an attack on me, it is on journalism."

Back home in Australia, people ask me if I'm glad to have left India.

I say it was a privilege to be on the ground there, to learn about this behemoth in the world.

My posting was always going to end after the election and I'd accepted a job with the ABC's Four Corners in Sydney, but I did not want to leave a country I had made my home, in this way.

Our job as journalists is to hold those in power to account and I hope India will get back to having a thriving free press soon.

In the meantime, I'm continuing to report. My upcoming story for Four Corners has uncovered the long arm of the Indian state targeting residents here in Australia and new details about the local "nest of spies" previously disrupted by ASIO.

I'm already anticipating the story will be blocked in India.

Last week, Modi won a historic third term as prime minister but didn't win enough seats to form a majority, meaning he'll need to work with smaller parties to get anything done.

There's some optimism among Modi critics that this will take him down a notch and force his government to respect India's democratic foundations — and the press.

Others are worried putting a leader who has only ever experienced invincible power in a precarious position could make him crack down even more.

SOURCE: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06...-india-modi-government-four-corners/103981186

Another journalist shot dead in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

A tragic incident was reported from Nowshera city of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) where a Local journalist was shot dead by some unidentified assailants, ARY News reported on Sunday.

The local police of KP confirmed that the print media journalist, Hasan Zaib, was shot dead by some unidentified armed assailants in Akbarpura village of Nowshera.

The attackers, riding motorcycles, fatally shot Hasan Zaib, who worked for a local newspaper, in a crowded market area.

In response, the Chief Minister of KP – Ali Amin Gandapur – has taken immediate notice of the murder and demanded a comprehensive report from senior police officials.

The CM emphasized that those involved in the murder would not evade justice and assured that the culprits would be apprehended soon.

A similar incident took place back in May, in which the local journalist Nasrullah Gadani, who was seriously injured in a gun attack, succumbed to his wounds at a hospital in Karachi.

Gadani suffered serious gunshot wounds in an attack by unidentified assailants near Mirpur Mathelo, Ghotki district, on Tuesday.

The incident took place when Nasrullah Gadani was going from his home to Mirpur Mathelo Press Club. Armed men in a car opened fire at the journalist at Jarwar Road near Deen Shah and fled from the scene.

Nasrullah Gadani sustained bullet wounds and was carried to Mirpur Mathelo DHQ hospital for medical attendance. He was later shifted to Sheikh Zayed Medical College Hospital, Rahim Yar Khan, for surgery. Gadani was shifted to Aga Khan Hospital in Karachi on Wednesday.

However, he breathed his last on Friday morning.

According to local journalists Gadani, who worked for the Sindhi newspaper and also disseminated his news reports through social media, was known for being a bold journalist for his reports against local feudal lords and political personalities, waderas, and government officers.

ARY News

Back