India to be called ‘Bharat’ soon?

The reality is changing names doesn't change the past.

If Indians really want to let go of their past and usher in a new era of Hindu identity, be it by changing the name of historical monuments, cities, and even the country, then stop speaking English and the world might take you seriously.

Lol, but that would destroy their whole service industry which has been based around speaking English. All the top CEOs of Google or whatever other US firms we keep hearing about, I don't think they'd have got very far without being taught English under the rule of British Empire.

Lol, but that would destroy their whole service industry which has been based around speaking English. All the top CEOs of Google or whatever other US firms we keep hearing about, I don't think they'd have got very far without being taught English under the rule of British Empire.
So all the current ceos in the west were taught English under the British empire. Your dates are just a bit off I think.

Careful what you wish for, BJP. Pakistan has long been waiting to adopt that name 'India'
no we have not. the early leaders of Pakistan wanted "India" to take the name of Hindustan, and "India" remain the neutral name for the entire region. However now South Asia or subcontinent suffices for that.

You can have the name India, Bharat, Hindustan. we do not care.

I don't know about Punjab, my family there still speak in Punjabi, but I've seen the trend in the UK of parents speaking to their kids in Urdu which sounds both fake and cringe-inducing.
Almost everyone in Punjab speaks Punjabi. Even non Punjabis who live in Punjab can speak Punjabi. The exception would be some Punjabis in Islamabad as thats a multi ethnic city, some parts of lahore for same reason, and elites.

most middle class/upper class families in pakistan from the 80s onwards have done the same because they feel punjabi is a backwards language and because children will struggle in schools if they used punjabi as the main language because the mode of education in schools was mostly urdu, nowa days its both urdu and english, of course.

so you mgiht call it cringe worthy but there is a solid reason behind it, but it also means we are losing touch with our original identity. we have turned our native language in Punjab into a language used only by the lower working class or uneducated people. it is such shame.

thats is why i think we should not be pointing fingers at others. All power to the neighbors. get rid of the old colonial names and go with your original identity. You will have a lot more respect from people like me who know history and value connection to your roots.
Punjabis are the dominant ethnic group in Pakistan. They dont need to be as protective of their ethnicity and language as other groups in the country. This is not a bad deal to be the majority even if your language takes a back seat.

most middle class/upper class families in pakistan from the 80s onwards have done the same because they feel punjabi is a backwards language and because children will struggle in schools if they used punjabi as the main language because the mode of education in schools was mostly urdu, nowa days its both urdu and english, of course.

so you mgiht call it cringe worthy but there is a solid reason behind it, but it also means we are losing touch with our original identity. we have turned our native language in Punjab into a language used only by the lower working class or uneducated people. it is such shame.

thats is why i think we should not be pointing fingers at others. All power to the neighbors. get rid of the old colonial names and go with your original identity. You will have a lot more respect from people like me who know history and value connection to your roots.
I think there are deeper roots to the marginalisation of the Punjabi language in Pakistan. In 1901 of the 186 vernacular newspapers and periodicals published in the Punjab, 137 were in Urdu. The two most important newspapers in the province at the time were both published in Urdu: Akhbar-i Am and Paisa Akhbar.

In her book, The Social Space of Language, Farina Mir has made the case that colonial policies were crucial. The colonial state opted to replace Persian as the language of administration with Urdu rather than Punjabi. Some officials regarded Punjabi as not a language in itself but a derivative dialect of Urdu, or in the words of one colonial official: “merely a patois of the Urdu.” Other officials claimed that Punjabi was unsuitable because it was “inflexible and barren, and incapable of expressing nice shades of meaning and exact logical ideas with the precision so essential in local proceedings.” The decision in favour of Urdu also enabled the East India Company to use administrators who had worked in north India and therefore already had knowledge of the language. Mir also points out that some officials perceived it as a Sikh language rather than language of the region and some officials feared alienating rural elites as “Urdu is the language of the educated classes.”

Mir adds that “Lahore colonial officials” also “nurtured Urdu literature.” Particularly important was the Anjuman-i-Punjab which sponsored Urdu mushairas. This patronage was timely in the context the shock of the rebellion in 1857. In the aftermath, the centre of gravity for the output of Urdu literature moved westwards to Lahore. Key intellectuals such as Azad and Hali spent time in the city. Azad reached Lahore in 1861 after the trauma of 1857 and remained there until death. He helped organise a modern style of mushairas and authored Urdu textbooks that helped spread the language in the city. Hali’s stay was temporary but seminal in his intellectual development. His famous and powerful Musaddas (The Flow and Ebb of Islam) was published in the city in 1879.

As a result of the colonial decision to opt for Urdu rather than Punjabi there was no standardisation, modernisation and codification of Punjabi as a language.

This is the overall context. Since Pakistan’s independence the importance of projecting class aspirations has accentuated the trend. Punjabi, seen as a rustic language, does not rate high in the hierarchy: English and Urdu are directly linked with aspirations for progress.

This said, we should not take the argument too far. Punjabi still has significant emotional resonance. It has always been a language associated with oral circulation and oral performance, even if it is not widely read in Pakistan. Think of the rich tradition of Punjabi poetry and of the tradition of Punjabi Qisse. These traditions remain vibrant. We might also point to the highly popular film Maula Jatt (1979), and the rural Punjabi folk genre it represented and shaped. Maula Jatt, the peasant-warrior wielding a gandasa and talking in a plain manner, was a very different kind of icon to what appeared in Urdu films up to that point and was represented by actors like Nadeem Baig.

Perhaps no Punjabi poet is as called upon in contemporary Pakistan as Bulleh Shah. In lines such as the following, we see see the tremendous ability of the poet to utter profound insight with the simplest of lines and the beauty of his native tongue:

Bullhia: mullan ate mashalci dohan ikko citt
Lokan karde canana ap hanere nitt

Bullha, the mullah and the torch bearer both have the same intent. They spread light to people, but are always in the dark themselves.
(Translated by Christopher Shackle)

I don't understand what was the fuss from Pakistanis? and opposition as well.
Bharat is already used as a name on all passports/official documents/OCI cards etc.
Republic of India -> Bharatiya Ganrajaya.
India is Bharat.. Bharat is India. Just that current Government has decided to use the native name.
When Turkey started calling itself Turkiye.. Pakistanis. celebrated.
Celebrate India/Bharat as well.

Turkey recently changed name to Turkiye.

Chittagong became Chattogram.

Port Elizabeth in South Africa became Gqeberha.

Now India wants to be Bharat.

Looks like countries want to go with regional names nowadays.

Sehwag made his wealth playing a british game. If he was a real patriot like he pretends to be, he would have stuck to playing Kabaddi.

What an insecure clown.
He has always been that clown who thinks with his social media utterances make him look like intelligent. But he isn't. His mask fell off long ago.

Bharat is already used as a name on all passports/official documents/OCI cards etc.
India is Bharat.. Bharat is India. Just that current Government has decided to use the native name.
Exactly, I don’t think any name change is officially coming. Bharat is already an official name of the country and the govt is promoting it at an international level. Doesn’t mean that they will drop India altogether. Lots of brouhaha over nothing.

Pakistanis have no problem with the name Bharat. We have always used the name India, Hindustan, and Bharat to describe you.

Not hard to see why the oppistion will not like the timing of this. the opposition created an alliance with the abbreviation "India" and now all of a sudden at G20 Modi sits behind President of Bharat instead of India. official documents in English have typically used India instead of bharat right?

It takes a long time for any type of name change to become commonly used, especially when you're changing such a famous and recognised name like India. Nobody is going to stop saying Turkey ever, in fact most people are probably unaware it's not called Turkey anymore.

But if it makes people feel more secure in their heritage, go for it.

Would it not be better if the new name was "Hindostan" instead of Bharat?. Really, they can call themselves whatever they want...water of my back. It is the Indian minorities that are feeling so very insecure over all of this.

I heard that the names Bharat, Hindustan etc even though Hindu centric, are more based on north Indian or Hindi language based (maybe Bharat has Sanskrit origins and Hindustan could be Urdu based). I heard that this could alienate non-Hindi speaking South Indians (even if they are Hindus) and they would not be as much pro this name change as the North Indians

Can any of the South Indian PPers confirm this?

I heard that the names Bharat, Hindustan etc even though Hindu centric, are more based on north Indian or Hindi language based (maybe Bharat has Sanskrit origins and Hindustan could be Urdu based). I heard that this could alienate non-Hindi speaking South Indians (even if they are Hindus) and they would not be as much pro this name change as the North Indians

Can any of the South Indian PPers confirm this?
Bharat is used widely in written South Indian languages (atleast I can say that confidently about Kannada and Telegu languages, less so about Tamil and Malyalam - somebody here can confirm). Hindustan - not so much, as it is an Islamic name.

Don’t think Bharat per-se should be a problem anywhere as it is a pan-nation term. It is more that we have got used to the India terminology & it is hard to kick off an habit.

If it's not such a big deal, why are you so sensitive about it? If Bharat is India, why do you need to hold onto the British bestowed name India? Moving towards Bharat and removing India should be the logical course, as happened with Mumbai and Kolkata. Do you still want to hold onto Bombay and Calcutta as well?

Would it not be better if the new name was "Hindostan" instead of Bharat?. Really, they can call themselves whatever they want...water of my back. It is the Indian minorities that are feeling so very insecure over all of this.

We wouldn’t like to call ourselves one of the Stans. It’s very Islamic sounding name. As a nickname it’s fine. It sounds well on slogans and all. Hindustan Zindabad has Gadar vibes.

Hindurashtra sounds better

Bharat captivates all our emotions. It’s the most beautiful sounding name to us.

India is Bharat
Bharat is India

If Bharat is India, why do you need to hold onto the British bestowed name India?

As a proud Englishman, I can understand you opting to get facts wrong when it suits the narrative. But the reality is, the Brits merely followed what the their island-empire heroes, the Greeks did. It was the Greeks, in the BC era, who first started referring to this land as India.

In fact, this is something being regurgitated by the bhakts everywhere to justify changing the name of India.

When the heat is turned on, the loudest BJP motormouths forget their ideology :rp

No Bharat. Just India hahaha

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg

Absolutely nothing wrong in whatever Indian prefer to call themselves.

In Turkey, the current government gave rights back to the female as to whatever they wish to wear in public, previously Hijab was banned, still many female are harassed in Turkey just for wearing a Hijab. Tukery did not change the name to appease religious population.

In India, Hijab is forcefully removed by RSS members, Muslims are harassed regularly for being Muslim, and vast majority has elected RSS goons and radicalized extremists. To RSS, Bharat may be synonymous to briging back radicalized extremist version of Hinduisim but the rest, peace full followers of Hindu and minorities, it rather sound alienating them from their own country. India to Bharat is to appease the already existing vast majority of the religious population.

When the heat is turned on, the loudest BJP motormouths forget their ideology :rp

No Bharat. Just India hahaha

View attachment 136402View attachment 136403View attachment 136404View attachment 136405

Why are people behaving as if the word India is going to be dumped forever.

India is Bharat
Bharat is India

This has been clarified time and again.

Both names will coexist until of course we achieve MAHABHARAT after which both the previous names should have no value or significance.

Why are people behaving as if the word India is going to be dumped forever.

India is Bharat
Bharat is India

This has been clarified time and again.

Both names will coexist until of course we achieve MAHABHARAT after which both the previous names should have no value or significance.
What is MAHABHARAT? why not change it to now? is it age related, the older the India get the new name it receives?

What is MAHABHARAT? why not change it to now? is it age related, the older the India get the new name it receives?

MAHABHARAT comprises of modern day territories of Bharat, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal.

I don’t see this being achieved within this century however by 22nd century or maybe 23rd century, it could become a reality as the era of micro nations gets over.

MAHABHARAT comprises of modern day territories of Bharat, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal.

I don’t see this being achieved within this century however by 22nd century or maybe 23rd century, it could become a reality as the era of micro nations gets over.
So expectation is that muslims of Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan will become Hindus?

So expectation is that muslims of Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan will become Hindus?
The fact that you are new to this forum...you are not able to catch FC's subtle trolling :rp

Don't worry, nothing of any such is happening or will happen.

The fact that you are new to this forum...you are not able to catch FC's subtle trolling :rp

Don't worry, nothing of any such is happening or will happen.
Wasn't worry about it ever happening, rather wondering if many other Indians believe in Mahabharat :)

First of all, why not?
If the demography of Bharat can be changed in the last few centuries through conversions , why is it too shocking to believe that reverse conversions cannot occur.

Hinduism is practically at its peak politically speaking. It’s very realistic that many would desire to be reintegrated with their roots in the upcoming century.

Pakistanis have no problem with the name Bharat. We have always used the name India, Hindustan, and Bharat to describe you.

Not hard to see why the oppistion will not like the timing of this. the opposition created an alliance with the abbreviation "India" and now all of a sudden at G20 Modi sits behind President of Bharat instead of India. official documents in English have typically used India instead of bharat right?
The Official Documents are there in multiple languages, and Bharat is used in native languages across India.
In G20, Modi is representing our culture and Bharat, and hosting it inside Bharat.

Absolutely nothing wrong in whatever Indian prefer to call themselves.

In Turkey, the current government gave rights back to the female as to whatever they wish to wear in public, previously Hijab was banned, still many female are harassed in Turkey just for wearing a Hijab. Tukery did not change the name to appease religious population.

In India, Hijab is forcefully removed by RSS members, Muslims are harassed regularly for being Muslim, and vast majority has elected RSS goons and radicalized extremists. To RSS, Bharat may be synonymous to briging back radicalized extremist version of Hinduisim but the rest, peace full followers of Hindu and minorities, it rather sound alienating them from their own country. India to Bharat is to appease the already existing vast majority of the religious population.
In Pakistan Sikh and Hindu sisters are raped daily, forcefully converted and married off to 70 year old Mullahs. As a Sikh,
I am really grateful to my GrandParents that they left Lahore and settled in Hoshiarpur, Bharat.
Pakistan is a hell hole for minorities. Don't need lecture from Islamic Fascist Country like Pakistan, whose sole reason of existence is elimination of so called Kaafirs.
In Pakistan, every Non Muslim is harassed for being a Kaafir. In Bharat, everyone enjoys there right as long as they believe in the Idea of India, which is equality for all. Now, If you want special laws and privilege's for being a Muslim in India, well those days are over now. One Country, One law for all.

In Pakistan Sikh and Hindu sisters are raped daily, forcefully converted and married off to 70 year old Mullahs. As a Sikh,
I am really grateful to my GrandParents that they left Lahore and settled in Hoshiarpur, Bharat.
Pakistan is a hell hole for minorities. Don't need lecture from Islamic Fascist Country like Pakistan, whose sole reason of existence is elimination of so called Kaafirs.
In Pakistan, every Non Muslim is harassed for being a Kaafir. In Bharat, everyone enjoys there right as long as they believe in the Idea of India, which is equality for all. Now, If you want special laws and privilege's for being a Muslim in India, well those days are over now. One Country, One law for all.

Bang on.
Of course your words will feel like detail rubbed on wounds for many but you are spitting straight fire here.

We wouldn’t like to call ourselves one of the Stans. It’s very Islamic sounding name. As a nickname it’s fine. It sounds well on slogans and all. Hindustan Zindabad has Gadar vibes.

Hindurashtra sounds better

Bharat captivates all our emotions. It’s the most beautiful sounding name to us.

India is Bharat
Bharat is India
What exactly is a Hindu Rashtra?. Are you one of those who believes everyone in India is a Hindu even if they insist otherwise?. If you are happy to call yourself Bharat and India then accept Hindostan too. They are all one and the same.

What exactly is a Hindu Rashtra?. Are you one of those who believes everyone in India is a Hindu even if they insist otherwise?. If you are happy to call yourself Bharat and India then accept Hindostan too. They are all one and the same.

It is Hindustan, you are advised to kindly spell our name properly and with due respect.

India, Bharat, Hindustan are synonyms for one rashtra

You guys are creating unnecessary debate over this.

It is Hindustan, you are advised to kindly spell our name properly and with due respect.

India, Bharat, Hindustan are synonyms for one rashtra

You guys are creating unnecessary debate over this.
You tell this to the makers of your film "Thugs of Hindostan" not me. This is where i got the name "Hindostan" from. Once more what exactly is a Hindu rashtra and how does it differ to the current secular country you pride yourself on?

You tell this to the makers of your film "Thugs of Hindostan" not me. This is where i got the name "Hindostan" from. Once more what exactly is a Hindu rashtra and how does it differ to the current secular country you pride yourself on?

You must show respect in naming other countries name when you know clearly it is Hindustan why do you keep misspelling it.

We take pride in being Bharatiyas.
Not in being secular or anything. It’s a political shift every rashtra goes through.

You must show respect in naming other countries name when you know clearly it is Hindustan why do you keep misspelling it.

We take pride in being Bharatiyas.
Not in being secular or anything. It’s a political shift every rashtra goes through.
Once more "Thugs of Hindostan" is an Indian film! Answer my question in simple English that what exactly is a Hindu rashtra?. So now you seem to be saying India is not secular??.

You are not completely wrong, there are extremists in every country still having a mindset from a different era.
Pakistan is a country which also has laws protecting minorities and true Islamic religion instructs the believers to let people worship whoever they wanna worship, and not to even use foul language for other Gods.

Unfortunately there are extremists in all religions its not just Pakistan, there are other countries where minorities are not being treated fairly, just like Muslims are being killed in India by Hindu extremists for not saying "Jai Shri Ram". Try not to paint with a wide brush and label a country Islamic Fascist.

For your reference:

You are not completely wrong, there are extremists in every country still having a mindset from a different era.
Pakistan is a country which also has laws protecting minorities and true Islamic religion instructs the believers to let people worship whoever they wanna worship, and not to even use foul language for other Gods.

Unfortunately there are extremists in all religions its not just Pakistan, there are other countries where minorities are not being treated fairly, just like Muslims are being killed in India by Hindu extremists for not saying "Jai Shri Ram". Try not to paint with a wide brush and label a country Islamic Fascist.

For your reference:
The same applies to every country including India then. Why Pakistan then keeps crying on about so called treatment of Muslims in India, when its own record is abysmal.
It is the most diverse country, where Parsis and Jews have thrived, who were persecuted everywhere.
Try not to paint a huge country as diverse as India with one common brush then.

Ahmaddiyas can practice there faith without being abused/cursed and there places of worship are safe.
I mean in Pakistan currently, Muslims are killing Muslims. What chance do us Kaafirs have.

The problem starts when one minority wants special treatment all the time. They want their personal laws/segregated behavior. That is no longer acceptable to modern India and hence you see friction.

First of all, why not?
If the demography of Bharat can be changed in the last few centuries through conversions , why is it too shocking to believe that reverse conversions cannot occur.

Hinduism is practically at its peak politically speaking. It’s very realistic that many would desire to be reintegrated with their roots in the upcoming century.

Why? Even Hindus themselves don't like to be associated with their roots other than at surface level. Otherwise everyone would rush to adopt the cultural name of Bharat but instead they take pride in the anglicised name bestowed by invaders - India. Even India's most popular leader in decades can't get modern day Indians to accept Bharat over India. He is riding the wave of advances which were enabled by learning English language, now he is trying to reverse that? It can only end badly.

It is always evident when the truth hit the nerve and feelings when the fact presented can't be countered, the give away is always, "what about in Pakistan", "why are Pakistani highlighting India's bigotry when same happened in Pakistan", "We do not need a lecture from Pakistan".

As if, Muslim graveyard are not destroyed by Hindutva/RSS goons in India, Muslim female are not raped by Hindutva/RSS goons, Muslims in India are not harassed and beaten up to say 'Jay shri Ram', Muslims houses are not destroyed India. Hindutva politician do not mock and promote violence against Muslims of India.

You attempted to present your comments as if none of that happened, happening or will stop happening in India, all the documented evidence are AI generated to destroy Hindutva out of India, the Mughal's conspiracy against India that Pakistani is carrying on :)

You compared it with Turkey and I highlighted the difference between Turkey and India, what does it has to do with Pakistan? :), If you do not want a Pakistani to highlight and burst your bubble then guess what, you are on a Pakistani dominated forum.

Followers and supporters of Hindutva are in serious need to come up with a different narrative to hide bigotry, hate, racism of Hindutva/RSS because the repeated and tried narrative does not work anymore :)

The same applies to every country including India then. Why Pakistan then keeps crying on about so called treatment of Muslims in India, when its own record is abysmal.
It is the most diverse country, where Parsis and Jews have thrived, who were persecuted everywhere.
Try not to paint a huge country as diverse as India with one common brush then.

Ahmaddiyas can practice there faith without being abused/cursed and there places of worship are safe.
I mean in Pakistan currently, Muslims are killing Muslims. What chance do us Kaafirs have.

The problem starts when one minority wants special treatment all the time. They want their personal laws/segregated behavior. That is no longer acceptable to modern India and hence you see friction.

Again, the immature and elementary comment but expected from someone who is on a hate train against a particular minority :)

Once more "Thugs of Hindostan" is an Indian film! Answer my question in simple English that what exactly is a Hindu rashtra?. So now you seem to be saying India is not secular??.

You will not be replied to until you name our country correctly. Movies also have people saying a lot of stuff about Pakistan. We don’t do that.

I don't get it. Both Hindustan and Hindostan are western script, how can there be a right way to spell it when It's not a Western name?

I don't get it. Both Hindustan and Hindostan are western script, how can there be a right way to spell it when It's not a Western name?
The right way to spell is how they want it to be spelled. Their country, their choice.

The right way to spell is how they want it to be spelled. Their country, their choice.
No one is stopping them from spelling it how they want, be that Hindustan, Hindostan as in the Bollywood filem Thugs of Hindostan, or Bharat. Or India for that matter.

BJP fans right now are like headless chicken running. They're running fast, or at least they think so.

But the only thing they're running away from is themselves.

And the more they run, the more they lose their identity of self.

It is truly pitiable.

But considering their behavior over the last 9 years, I will only laugh :rp

BJP fans right now are like headless chicken running. They're running fast, or at least they think so.

But the only thing they're running away from is themselves.

And the more they run, the more they lose their identity of self.

It is truly pitiable.

But considering their behavior over the last 9 years, I will only laugh :rp
I am not a BJP fanboy, but your boy Rahul Gandhi recently did Bharat Jodo Yatra. Remember, he did not call it India Jodo Yatra or Hindustan Jodo Yatra :yk2

Hindus is not a religion. Its like calling Chinese a religious group :rp

:mw

I am not a BJP fanboy, but your boy Rahul Gandhi recently did Bharat Jodo Yatra. Remember, he did not call it India Jodo Yatra or Hindustan Jodo Yatra :yk2

Where has the Congress ever opposed the usage of Bharat. Don't remember the pasting Rahulg gave your leader in parliament over Bharat Mata in his last speech?

They want both India and Bharat as it has been stated in the Constitution and so do I. Your whims and fancies not gonna work anymore.

Hindustan is a name given by foreigners.
The issue is that there is no general consensus among Indians. This is down to a lack of central identity among Indians.

Much the same way as some Indians believe Hinduism is a religion, while other believe it is not.

This is why there are 3 names for India - India, Hindustan, Bharat.

Just pick one and move on.

Changing the name will also mean costs rise. All text books, signs , data must be changed. India is willing to waste money to further their Hindutva agenda. Feel sorry for the poor Indians, thats what they will always been known as.

Until this whole issue cropped up - India, Bharat and Hindustan were/are really used seamlessly and interchangeably.

In local Urdu media in my city -print and TV- India was always referred to as "Bharat/Hindustan". In my native language "Bharat" "Bharata Desam" is used to refer to India and of course in English newspapers and other media - the term India is typically used.

I actually feel it is a pretty cool and unique feature of India - that it is referred to by multiple names. In a way it is a reflection of a non-rigid, elastic and inclusive albeit imperfect nature of India.

But the word India or Indian is so deeply ingrained and entrenched emotionally and culturally that I suspect it will continue to be used by a majority of the Indians in the foreseeable future.

The issue is that there is no general consensus among Indians. This is down to a lack of central identity among Indians.

Much the same way as some Indians believe Hinduism is a religion, while other believe it is not.

This is why there are 3 names for India - India, Hindustan, Bharat.

Just pick one and move on.
Issue seems that this thread seems to be bothering Britstanis more than Indians and Pakistanis that live in Pakistan... Just let it go and move on imo, who cares,, whether India changes its name or not is not going to have any impact in your comfortable homes in the UK..

Changing the name will also mean costs rise. All text books, signs , data must be changed. India is willing to waste money to further their Hindutva agenda. Feel sorry for the poor Indians, thats what they will always been known as.
I wonder if the Indian government is willing to change their flag?

Countries that speak - and take pride in Urdu - as its national language while its national anthem is in Persian that hardly anyone can speak or understand should not talk about identity crisis.

I cringe every time the national anthem is played.

Countries that speak - and take pride in Urdu - as its national language while its national anthem is in Persian that hardly anyone can speak or understand should not talk about identity crisis.

The anthem has a nice tune. I always assumed it was Urdu and didn't pay attention to the lyrics. Just googled it and apparently they chose words that would be understandable to both speakers of Urdu and Persian.

It is in urdu not Persian. It’s just harder Urdu using Persian terms which aren’t used in everyday urdu.

If you do little research for a change then this would be evident.

Similarly the Indian national anthem used words no one uses in daily life

Last edited by a moderator:
It is in urdu not Persian. It’s just harder Urdu using Persian terms which aren’t used in everyday urdu.

Bharatiya rashtragaan used Sanskrit words. It’s part of our culture.

And our anthem mentions Bharat rather than India.

Bharatiya rashtragaan used Sanskrit words. It’s part of our culture.

And our anthem mentions Bharat rather than India.

It's not culture of the other types of people who live in India.

You are speaking from a Hindu point of view which is fine.

It's not culture of the other types of people who live in India.

You are speaking from a Hindu point of view which is fine.

It’s the culture of the overwhelming majority which is the philosophy every nation follows in the world.

It’s the culture of the overwhelming majority which is the philosophy every nation follows in the world.

Good one - then lets drop the whole secular nonsense shall we?

Call Bharat a Hindu nation and be done with it.

A referendum can be held to ask if all in India agree with this name

The Pakistan anthem was written by Hafeez Jalandhari, a strong advocate of the Pakistan movement. The whole idea behind the lyrics was to avoid the usage of words than overlap with Sanskrit. Therefore, the anthem was written in Perso-Arabic terms.

Urdu as a language is itself derived from Persian. Its literal and technical vocabulary is derived from Persian with but the phonology, syntax and grammar is derived from Sanskrit which is why Urdu sounds like Hindi but reads like Arabic and Persian.

The Pakistani anthem is written in Persian with only one independent Urdu word that is not Persian i.e. 'ka'

Of course, since Urdu itself is strongly influenced by Persian, the anthem uses plenty of words that can also be found in Urdu, hence the misconception that it is written in "harder Urdu". It is not - it is written in Persian.

@pillionrider FYI.

Last edited by a moderator:

We are dropping the secular nonsense.
If the rest of the world treats secularism as nonsense, then India has no liability to abide by it.

Bharat was a Hindu nation and it will always be. This a matter of extreme pride for us.

We are dropping the secular nonsense.
If the rest of the world treats secularism as nonsense, then India has no liability to abide by it.

Bharat was a Hindu nation and it will always be. This a matter of extreme pride for us.
Then remove all references to secularism in the Indian constitution while you are at it.

Once again, Indians cannot make a decision without referencing foreigners. For once stop comparing yourself to the rest of the world. Maybe this is why India on a whole struggles with a unison identity.

Talk about having a chip on your shoulders.

The Pakistan anthem was written by Hafeez Jalandhari, a strong advocate of the Pakistan movement. The whole idea behind the lyrics was to avoid the usage of words than overlap with Sanskrit. Therefore, the anthem was written in Perso-Arabic terms.

Urdu as a language is itself derived from Persian. Its literal and technical vocabulary is derived from Persian with but the phonology, syntax and grammar is derived from Sanskrit which is why Urdu sounds like Hindi but reads like Arabic and Persian.

The Pakistani anthem is written in Persian with only one independent Urdu word that is not Persian i.e. 'ka'

Of course, since Urdu itself is strongly influenced by Persian, the anthem uses plenty of words that can also be found in Urdu, hence the misconception that it is written in "harder Urdu". It is not - it is written in Persian.

@pillionrider FYI.
Many languages are derived from other languages- what’s your point here?

Issue seems that this thread seems to be bothering Britstanis more than Indians and Pakistanis that live in Pakistan... Just let it go and move on imo, who cares,, whether India changes its name or not is not going to have an

Exactly, I dont know why this issue is triggering people who absolutely have nothing to do with it when everybody in India have moved on from it. Begaani shaadi mein Abdullah deewana!

Then remove all references to secularism in the Indian constitution while you are at it.

Once again, Indians cannot make a decision without referencing foreigners. For once stop comparing yourself to the rest of the world. Maybe this is why India on a whole struggles with a unison identity.

Talk about having a chip on your shoulders.

Bharat takes immense pride in its multiculturalism. Secularism not really. It is a Congress thing and they tried to make it a thing everyone in Bharat is in love with, but that’s not true.

Bharat is going through an awakening as a rashtra.

Secularism was never a part of our original constitution, it was added later on in 1976 by a Congress govt trying to soften the blow of the Emergency era constitution. How can India be completely secular, when nations were formed around it purposefully to eschew the same secular ideology and also look down upon the religion that the majority of our country practices?

And as far as referendum goes, absolutely none needed. Bharat is already an official name of the country - all other regional languages too refer to this country as Bharat. The only issue is which name to be used to represent the country in foreign lands - and it can be either. Personally speaking, India is too ingrained to be removed so I don’t think that’s a practical solution, but then keeping away from speculation I don’t think the govt is advocating for an all out dropping of the India term.

Exactly, I dont know why this issue is triggering people who absolutely have nothing to do with it when everybody in India have moved on from it. Begaani shaadi mein Abdullah deewana!
I don’t think anyone who isn’t Indian have issue with change of name nor discouraging it. It’s just find it odd when Indians say India is a secular country. But as you’ve mentioned in this thread Indians never wanted to be secular but a Hindu rashtra. Finally Indians are owning to it be a true Hindu nation.

Behave. Indians are quick to comment on the activities of the Pakistan governemnt.

Your problem is Indians are not even in unison which why when push comes to shove Indians pull the - none of your business - card. You're simply flummoxed.

Though there is a positive, BJP supporters are proving themselves to be right wing nationalists supporting the saffron terrorist ideology.

If you have a problem with the rest of the world commenting on India, then bail from foreign platforms, but no, your own government decided to pull its pants down at the G20 summit with this stunt.

I dare you to criticise Modi if this topic irks you.

Many languages are derived from other languages- what’s your point here?
That’s not even the point. The point is that the Pakistani anthem is in Persian not in Urdu as the other poster was stating.

Behave. Indians are quick to comment on the activities of the Pakistan governemnt.

Your problem is Indians are not even in unison which why when push comes to shove Indians pull the - none of your business - card. You're simply flummoxed.

Though there is a positive, BJP supporters are proving themselves to be right wing nationalists supporting the saffron terrorist ideology.

If you have a problem with the rest of the world commenting on India, then bail from foreign platforms, but no, your own government decided to pull its pants down at the G20 summit with this stunt.

I dare you to criticise Modi if this topic irks you.
I have no problem criticizing Modi on any issue. And especially this one because he pulled this stunt in response to the opposition group calling themselves India. Absolutely didn’t need this grandstanding when the people themselves are extremely comfortable using both the terminologies. I come from a city which was rebranded (Mumbai), but even today Bombay is how our city is known. Some habits can’t just be erased, even if they are historically wrong.

But what to call itself is an internal issue of a country. Just like Turkey decided to rebrand itself because it is the name of a bird whom people slaughter on Thanksgiving. Also I don’t understand associating the word ‘Bharat’ with a Hindu rashtra, because Bharat literally is the ancient and present name of this country - predating Islam and British rulers in our country. Even in Urdu, India is called as Bharat or Hindustan. I don’t think anybody internally can oppose this if India wants to be known by Bharat.

I have no problem criticizing Modi on any issue. And especially this one because he pulled this stunt in response to the opposition group calling themselves India. Absolutely didn’t need this grandstanding when the people themselves are extremely comfortable using both the terminologies. I come from a city which was rebranded (Mumbai), but even today Bombay is how our city is known. Some habits can’t just be erased, even if they are historically wrong.

But what to call itself is an internal issue of a country. Just like Turkey decided to rebrand itself because it is the name of a bird whom people slaughter on Thanksgiving. Also I don’t understand associating the word ‘Bharat’ with a Hindu rashtra, because Bharat literally is the ancient and present name of this country - predating Islam and British rulers in our country. Even in Urdu, India is called as Bharat or Hindustan. I don’t think anybody internally can oppose this if India wants to be known by Bharat.
Turkey decided to ‘rebrand’ itself in unison in one clear sweep, and fact is, the rebranding was nothing more than a phonetic change.

India on the other hand cannot decide if their country should be rebranded between India, Bharat, or Hindustan. India cannot decide if their country is secular or not. India cannot decide the official language of India between English and Hindi.

The pattern is obvious.

Yes rebranding your nation is your internal issue, but when your government pulls a stunt at an international level, then expect to be criticised and questioned by international communities.

Bahrat is a Hindu Sanskrit word which date back to early Hindu scripture. At that time India was predominantly, some would estimate to be 99.99%. Hindu.

Changing it from India, a British assigned name to Hindu rashtra. It has everything to do with Hinduism, which shouldn’t be an issue, I don’t understand why Hindus are getting offended? Own it to be Hindu rashtra instead of pretending it be a secular country.

That’s not even the point. The point is that the Pakistani anthem is in Persian not in Urdu as the other poster was stating.
Urdu is derived from Persian and anthem is in Persian. Again, what’s your point there?

Back