India v Sri Lanka | 4th ODI | Colombo | 27/8/08

Cant beleive how consistent Dhoni has been of late in ODIs

In 2008

Mat Runs HS Bat Av 100

23 954 109* 68.14

we needed to save yuvi for these type of situations

badri and sharma are just not that type of players

btw sri lanka have bowled the death overs well. last 5 overs the RR has only been 4

4th ball, OUT. INDIA ALL OUT AT 258. THUSHARA TAKES A 5 WICKET SPELL. what a fightback from sri lanka when india were around 220/3 in the 41st over

Last 7 wickets went down for 34 runs.

SL must fancy their chances here

Holy Mom, I know how creative us Indians are when it comes to putting together a disaster for ourselves but this is truly artistic; we have outdone our prevous efforts this time.

I reckon 258 should be good enuff with crappy batsmen, under lights, and of course the spinning pitch.

time for Mr.Sharma to go and play some domestic cricket.
this guy is just not delievering.

this is easily the best indian fielding side ever ....raina , badri , kohli , rohit & yuvi ....with yuvi probabaly worst of the lot !

PlanetPakistan said:
should be a very close match this

India has slight edge since ball was taking turn. Harby & yuvraj will be the key to India's chances.

jusarrived said:
this is easily the best indian fielding side ever ....raina , badri , kohli , rohit & yuvi ....with yuvi probabaly worst of the lot !

Not only best fielding side, but also best batting side - among any team that has been going through "rebuilding" process.... over the last 10-15 years. I have been saying for a while, that this lot is ready to take the mantle from fab-4 but..... selectors for test team have different ideas. Longer these guys don't play in test team, better for the other teams! I hope none of these are part of Indian team when Indian come to Pak later this year!

6.3 Patel to Warnapura, OUT, He has been given out lbw. It landed on short of length around middle and off, cut in a touch to hit him high on the front thigh. It looked like it was going over the stumps.

BSM Warnapura lbw b Patel 0 (18b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

After all that he wasn't even out!

Damnit. BDSM Warnapura is lbw.

This is blatantly biased umpiring against India. The longer that guy would have stayed at the crease, the better it was for India.

warnapura 0 from 18 deliveries....is that a record for an opener?

Last edited:
bublubhuyan said:
How does Jaya continue to play even at 39 ? Doesn't his body tell him to quit ?

he said a couple of days back that he doesn't know what else to do than play cricket. so it's not really that he wants to play...it's just that he doesn't have anything else to do! i just hope he has a beautiful wife! :D

pixaar said:
he said a couple of days back that he doesn't know what else to do than play cricket. so it's not really that he wants to play...it's just that he doesn't have anything else to do! i just hope he has a beautiful wife! :D
even during his break he was in the studio working as the guest for straight drive..

The scoreboard looks awfully lot like India's in the Asia cup final. Sehwag got a 50 with the team total being about 58.

f.b.m said:
The scoreboard looks awfully lot like India's in the Asia cup final. Sehwag got a 50 with the team total being about 58.
In a game against PAK in 1996 Jaysuriya shared a partnership with Kalu where the 1st wicket fell at 70 with Kalu getting out for a duck.

Guy is unstoppable at times.

Jaya could carry on playing till the next WC, he still has the reflexes and can tear apart any attack on any day, a truly great opener who changed the role of openers since his 96 heroics and also not a bad spinner

bravo to Sanath

This will get Harby's tail right up.Hes completely different when gets one early..

just as i wrote that comment Sanath Jayasuriya departs for 60

17.3 Harbhajan Singh to Jayasuriya, OUT, Sharp catch by Raina at first slip and silence envelops the arena. Well-flighted off break around off and middle, full, Jayasuriya, who must have seen the sharp turn in the previous ball, some how decided to go across the line, trying to tap a single, gets the leading edge and Raina lunges to his left to take a sharp one-handed catch. Super innings comes to an end. He took his time, settled down before cutting loose. Just when Dhoni would have got worried, he falls, though.
ST Jayasuriya c Raina b Harbhajan Singh 60 (52b 8x4 2x6) SR: 115.38

W63L35 said:
Not only best fielding side, but also best batting side - among any team that has been going through "rebuilding" process.... over the last 10-15 years. I have been saying for a while, that this lot is ready to take the mantle from fab-4 but..... selectors for test team have different ideas. Longer these guys don't play in test team, better for the other teams! I hope none of these are part of Indian team when Indian come to Pak later this year!

You thing they are ready for tests too? They hardly know how to build innings

PlanetPakistan said:
In a game against PAK in 1996 Jaysuriya shared a partnership with Kalu where the 1st wicket fell at 70 with Kalu getting out for a duck.

Guy is unstoppable at times.
Thankfully, he's been stopped now.
IIRC, that match was where SJ scored something like 76 (22) and bringing up the 50 in 17 balls? And somehow SL managed to lose the match after that.

pakistanbest said:
Jaya could carry on playing till the next WC, he still has the reflexes and can tear apart any attack on any day, a truly great opener who changed the role of openers since his 96 heroics and also not a bad spinner

bravo to Sanath
He'll be 40 by then. I believe he should continue to play till the next World Cup simply because he didn't quit after last year's World Cup. Since he decided to continue, why not quit after the 2011 World Cup !!

I still remember an article from Cricinfo dated about 2006 or 2005 where he said that he'll indefinitely quit all forms of cricket after the 2007 World Cup.

f.b.m said:
Thankfully, he's been stopped now.
IIRC, that match was where SJ scored something like 76 (22) and bringing up the 50 in 17 balls? And somehow SL managed to lose the match after that.
Yeah Saqi won it for PAK

Indiafan said:
You thing they are ready for tests too? They hardly know how to build innings
Here is their 1st class record;
Code:
[B]Player M   In NO  Runs  HS   Ave    S/R   100  50[/B]
Kohli  11  17  3   630  169  45.00  44.58   2   1
Raina  38  66  3  2914  203  46.25  58.61   5  20
Sharma 20  29  1  1042  205  37.21  	    1   6
Badri  63  93 12  4576  206* 56.49  	   15  20
Uthapa 40  68  3  2598  162  39.96          6  16
In not too distant past (and even now), most players are selected in the test team because of their 1st class record. All 5 players have a very decent record. Look at their S/R and big innings of 150+.

India has always been very fortunate when it came to batting starting in mind 60s to early 70s.....abundance of talent. I strongly believe most of these 5 players (with Sehwag and Gambhir) are capable of forming the best batting line up India EVER had. Biggest reason - their aggressive attitude which Indian batsmen never had - except Ganguly!

Another mistake Indian selectors made was - that they did not give enough chances to Kaif in the test team. He can still come into the team for any of the fab-4 specially when they should be out anyways!

Last edited:
India - after 24 overs - 109/3
SL - after 24 overs - 106/4

India has this one in the bag!

W63L35 said:
Here is their 1st class record;
Code:
[B]Player M   In NO  Runs  HS   Ave    S/R   100  50[/B]
Kohli  11  17  3   630  169  45.00  44.58   2   1
Raina  38  66  3  2914  203  46.25  58.61   5  20
Sharma 20  29  1  1042  205  37.21  	    1   6
Badri  63  93 12  4576  206* 56.49  	   15  20
Uthapa 40  68  3  2598  162  39.96          6  16
In not too distant past (and even now), most players are selected in the test team because of their 1st class record. All 5 players have a very decent record. Look at their S/R and big innings of 150+.

India has always been very fortunate when it came to batting starting in mind 60s to early 70s.....abundance of talent. I strongly believe most of these 5 players (with Sehwag and Gambhir) are capable of forming the best batting line up India EVER had. Biggest reason - their aggressive attitude which Indian batsmen never had - except Ganguly!
The front-runner from that pack (by some distance) is Badrinath. He's got the talent + inning building ability + ability to handle pressure and everything else. What was particularly impressive was how he played in an India A v South Africa A last year.

105/5 when he came in here: http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/india/engine/match/309427.html

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/india/engine/match/309394.html

, etc, etc.

f.b.m said:
The front-runner from that pack (by some distance) is Badrinath. He's got the talent + inning building ability + ability to handle pressure and everything else. What was particularly impressive was how he played in an India A v South Africa A last year.

105/5 when he came in here: http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/india/engine/match/309427.html

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/india/engine/match/309394.html

, etc, etc.

Good point... and going by 1st class record, here is another guy.... Indian selectors should seriously look at;

http://sports.in.msn.com/cricket/stories/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1650308

Code:
[B]Player  M  In  NO  Runs  HS   Ave    S/R   100  50[/B]
Kohli   11  17  3   630  169  45.00  44.58   2   1
Raina   38  66  3  2914  203  46.25  58.61   5  20
Sharma  20  29  1  1042  205  37.21  	     1   6
Badri   63  93 12  4576  206* 56.49  	    15  20
Uthapa  40  68  3  2598  162  39.96          6  16
[B]Chopra[/B] 118 197 21  8219  239* 46.69  	    22  41
Chopra was the higest run getter last season.

pakistanbest said:
Sri Lanka's batting has certainly been poor this series especially Sanga's

Well, that too ..... I feel, this young Indian batting line up has handled M&M (Murali and Mendis) much better than the fab-4.

I am sure India will win ODI series and if they do, fab-4 should say good bye to their places in the test team - at least 2 of them in the forthcoming Aus series.

W63L35 said:
Well, that too ..... I feel, this young Indian batting line up has handled M&M (Murali and Mendis) much better than the fab-4.

I am sure India will win ODI series and if they do, fab-4 should say good bye to their places in the test team - at least 2 of them in the forthcoming Aus series.
Kumble and Dravid/ganguly(dropped) will be the ones i reckon.

I just tuned in and someone hit 2 sixes in a row.

But I am going to turn over because I really have had enough of cricket in the subcontinent...

TruSachFan said:
Kumble and Dravid/ganguly(dropped) will be the ones i reckon.

If Kumble is dropped, then Dhoni will be captain..... and I am sure, he'll bring in his young brigade.... like he did in ODI/T20 team.

W63L35 said:
Good point... and going by 1st class record, here is another guy.... Indian selectors should seriously look at;

http://sports.in.msn.com/cricket/stories/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1650308

Code:
[B]Player  M  In  NO  Runs  HS   Ave    S/R   100  50[/B]
Kohli   11  17  3   630  169  45.00  44.58   2   1
Raina   38  66  3  2914  203  46.25  58.61   5  20
Sharma  20  29  1  1042  205  37.21  	     1   6
Badri   63  93 12  4576  206* 56.49  	    15  20
Uthapa  40  68  3  2598  162  39.96          6  16
[B]Chopra[/B] 118 197 21  8219  239* 46.69  	    22  41
Chopra was the higest run getter last season.
True. But its harder to get into the team for someone who got "found out" like Chopra was in the 03/04 series against Australia.

f.b.m said:
True. But its harder to get into the team for someone who got "found out" like Chopra was in the 03/04 series against Australia.

If Misbah & Hussey can be late bloomers, then Chopra can be too! :)

India's death bowling is horrible, they'd repeatedly had Sri Lanka reeling early and it has always been a close match.

PlanetPakistan said:
207/9

All over for SL i reckon

don't reckon too much.
this is not good, major changes need to be made. How can every game be this close. We get the major players out but can't finish the deal, lallus like thusura or whatever his name is hurt us? Match should have been over agesa go.

Last edited:
All over. Khan gets a well-deserved wicket. India have won the series at 3-1. Good job Dhoni.

tmac4real said:
don't reckon too much.
this is not good, major changes need to be made. How can every game be this close. We get the major players out but can't finish the deal, lallus like thusura or whatever his name is hurt us? Match should have been over agesa go.
well IND won a series in a long time and you are complaining...

PlanetPakistan said:

they are facing aus soon. This was SL, play like this against SA or Aus and they'll get smashed out of the corners. All 3 wins could have gone either way, that's not a good way to win.

tmac4real said:
they are facing aus soon. This was SL, play like this against SA or Aus and they'll get smashed out of the corners. All 3 wins could have gone either way, that's not a good way to win.
SA at home are a great side but not so much outside SA...not after they dropped Hall and Kemp

PlanetPakistan said:

I am happy we won; well done to Dhoni and the boys!

However, I would still give each and every ODI tournament - except for the WC - for a Test series victory.

Cryin Out Loud said:

However, I would still give each and every ODI tournament - except for the WC - for a Test series victory.
thats understandable but at least now they are back on track after an average performance in both forms of the game in the last 3 months.

Cryin Out Loud said:

A wannabe purist. Why post in this thread if this victory is not important to you?

Do you realize India were beaten black and blue in test series ? Dhoni was missing his ace batsmen in Veeru and SRT, yet our youngsters were able to handle Mendis with some authority. India's first bi-lateral series win vs SL in SL. Well done lads.

Congrats RA :p :D

Is Mendis starting to get found out now?

RA u rock

thxx for opening the thread.
May u continue to be a blessing for the indian team :D :p

india_fan said:
A wannabe purist. Why post in this thread if this victory is not important to you?

Do you realize India were beaten black and blue in test series ? Dhoni was missing his ace batsmen in Veeru and SRT, yet our youngsters were able to handle Mendis with some authority. India's first bi-lateral series win vs SL in SL. Well done lads.

Congrats RA :p :D

exactly. This is a huge turnaround from the ODI side that India has fielded for yeras.

NO Viru, NO Tendulkar, NO Ganguly, NO Gambhir in one of the matches. NO Ishant as far as bowling goes. Yet we still manage to win 3-1.

W63L35 said:
If Misbah & Hussey can be late bloomers, then Chopra can be too! :)

Hussey wasn't a late bloomer as such though. He'd always been piling runs on at domestic level, but unfortunately there were guys like Steve and Mark Waugh, Ponting, Martyn, Lehmann etc in the team at the time.

Back