India v Sri Lanka | Match 2 | CB Series | Brisbane | 4/2/08

How much better would India be if only the had Yuvraj fit and playing......oops sorry he was...lol ;-)

OzPride said:
How much better would India be if only the had Yuvraj fit and playing......oops sorry he was...lol ;-)
vow, that was a good dig. Sledging pathetic indian team.

bones20 said:
Nice to see an aussie on this game. Who would you prefer in finals, India or Sri Lanka?

Would prefer to get to the finals first, then ill pick. All three teams are real strong if in form so i wont count my chickens before they hatch... :19:

OzPride said:
Would prefer to get to the finals first, then ill pick. All three teams are real strong if in form so i wont count my chickens before they hatch... :19:
Oh ok. Thats a good strategy :D

bones20 said:
vow, that was a good dig. Sledging pathetic indian team.

A few good games and India could turn into world beaters, England did last year. :6: Thats still hurts.

i'm proud of india's running between the wickets. This could be the match-winning partnership

SL fileding is good, ind would have 250 by now if it wasn't for their fielding.

OzPride said:
Yeh has been class hasnt it :14:

yeah the fact that they are doing it against a good fielding team like SL is even better.

17 needed of last over tog et to 270, will be tough.

ok..bets are open.. who's going ot get to their century first..

My money on gambhir..

Well done the gambler, bravo, bravo, great innings, rescued India :14: :14:

typical yuvraj knock played by gambhir today!!.. bench yuvraj fr the remainder of the tour..he's had enough chances already!

wow, I must say Gambhir has outdone himself. Class innings with some great shots.

Megadeth said:
typical yuvraj knock played by gambhir today!!.. bench yuvraj fr the remainder of the tour..he's had enough chances already!
He has only had 1 chance in "his" form of the game.

Well the score is a par score for one dayers these days with 20 overs fields restrictions, the pitch, the outfield and the ground size. We get Jayasurya before 6-8 overs and we have a game on!

Boy, gambhir and dhoni literally ran their lives on the field, didnt they? You could see them enjoying running through the pain. Both of these were real heroic knocks.

Some of Gambhir's shots through the covers and square/fine leg reminded me of lance klusener.

Last edited:
Dont worry if Dhoni cant keep im sure "The Gambler" will give it a shot... :D

Terrific recovery from 80 odd for 4. Gambhir can go a long way if he can tighten his technique and correct his tendency to go for shots too early. For a small guy he has a lot of power when he plays some of those shots.

267 is a competitive score, unless uncle Jayasurya has some other plans.. :D

dhoni has really made his case today - trust the youngsters and be patient
dont think any of the senior could have played like these 2 did after being 83/4
for that matter, sehwag and sachin dont seem to play the big ones these days

Dhonifan said:
dhoni has really made his case today - trust the youngsters and be patient
dont think any of the senior could have played like these 2 did after being 83/4
for that matter, sehwag and sachin dont seem to play the big ones these days

Even in dreams Ganguly and Dravid can't run like this currently :p . Look at the power hitting.. awesome.

Last edited:
jackal786 said:
Even in dreams Ganguly and Dravid can run like this currently :p . Look at the power hitting.. awesome.

ok you edited it... :))

ya I agree, it was some power hitting

The new bowler Amerasinghe did very well with an economical spell - 30 runs from 10 overs! He has a good future in the ODI format.

something tells me gambhir's knock will not be a fluke. he played so well against SL bowlers, no walkovers, and on australian pitch

this is the kind of attitude they must take against australia next time.

PlanetPakistan said:
why not? if dhoni decides to leave the field then they can field in any member of the squad

i think its only for fielding, not wktkeeping. but if it is allowd than yes, karthik would be best choice

Dhonifan said:
something tells me gambhir's knock will not be a fluke. he played so well against SL bowlers, no walkovers, and on australian pitch

this is the kind of attitude they must take against australia next time.

He plays well. If he tightens his defense he can be more consistent... and less chancy.

Dhonifan said:
i think its only for fielding, not wktkeeping. but if it is allowd than yes, karthik would be best choice

Keeper cannot be substituted as a rule. Only from the playing XI someone has to keep. But next match i think they might sit someone out to include Karthik just for keeping.

this is the only time where I will root AGAINST a jayasuriya blitz. Against any other team I love to see Jay bat.

jackal786 said:
Keeper cannot be substituted as a rule. Only from the playing XI someone has to keep. But next match i think they might sit someone out to include Karthik just for keeping.

sit sharma out I hope.

jackal786 said:

i thought so
but the only way karthik would come in for keeping is if dhoni is injured. they wont change the team combo especially if india wins today....

man, i hope we win. we need to avenge our wc defeat and feel better. :D

Indiagem said:
Will someone please tell Yuvi to shut his mouth, speak less and at least MAKE AN EFFORT to enter Double Digits.........When was the last time he crossed 10

Was he "aggressive with body language" out there? :)) :)) :)) :))

I hope it is just a minor twinge. Who knows . Dhoni might be alright after some treatment during break. But back pain is not something you can get rid of in 45 mts. It will take a week to reasonably stand straight without feeling the pain.

Random Aussie said:
Was he "aggressive with body language" out there? :)) :)) :)) :))

Poor guy.. he is really an insult to Navjot Singh Sidhu who was such a fantastic player against spin bowling who is also from his state. Sidhu carted Muralitharan for 6 sixes out of his total 8 in a Test match. Infact it is rare to see an Indian struggling against spin. He struggled even against Hogg.

Cryin Out Loud said:
Great innings under pressure by Gambhir and Dhoni.

Ah the much talked about batting of Dhoni "the new Gilly" makes it's appearance for the first time on this tour.

It is what 6 weeks since they landed? :))

tmac4real said:
who else would rather have Robin Uthappa in the team over Rohit Sharma?
Sharma looks a very solid prospect. He is the next BIG Indian batsman IMO. Seems to have everything needed as this level.

Uthappa is just ok.

Great batting by Dhoni and Gambhir.

jackal786 said:
Oh...i didn't know that. :|

dhoni should be fine till next match. THey have some time to recover, next match should be SL-aus.

jackal786 said:
Poor guy.. he is really an insult to Navjot Singh Sidhu who was such a fantastic player against spin bowling who is also from his state. Sidhu carted Muralitharan for 6 sixes out of his total 8 in a Test match. Infact it is rare to see an Indian struggling against spin. He struggled even against Hogg.

Yes Sidhu used to beat on Warne pretty well...........

Random Aussie said:
Ah the much talked about batting of Dhoni "the new Gilly" makes it's appearance for the first time on this tour.

I think we should give the benefit of doubt. Even Gilchrist did not play that well in this series. This is first tour of Dhoni to Australia. Ponting has toured India several times. Still coming to terms. His main role is keeping. He outperformed Gilchrist in the test series. that's a good start. In one dayers he is showing more responsibility.

Random Aussie said:

RA, this is how Indian batsman maintain good averages. Look at the averages of all our batters, you will be impressed.

What they do well is make the best against their minnows/on flat tracks and in easy situations. Sri Lanka is a unanimous favourite of our batters. No real fast bowlers to knock their head out.

jackal786 said:
I think we should give the benefit of doubt. Even Gilchrist did not play that well in this series. This is first tour of Dhoni to Australia. Ponting has toured India several times. Still coming to terms. His main role is keeping. He outperformed Gilchrist in the test series. that's a good start. In one dayers he is showing more responsibility.

True but he got a lot of hype before the Tests about being the new superstar player......

Yes he was better than Gilly in the Test series but from what I have seen he is nowhere near Gilly as a batsman at any level.

Murali takes 2/51 - that might be one his best performances in Australia.

If you ever wonder why Australians do not rate Murali anywhere near Shane Warne - have a look at his average in Australia.

By comparison with other greats (seeing as Murali is apparently a great):
Hadlee killed it in Australia, so did Imran, so did Marshall and Ambrose and Viv, so did Sachin and Brian Lara etc etc

Murali's record in Australia is pathetic - Agit Agarkar would have a better record than the "greatest spinner of all time".

Random Aussie said:
Who are these minnows on my TV tonight? :20:
Hmm, one of these minows just beat you at your Mecca, Perth in a test match recently and had your batsman licking the wicket yesterday only to be saved by rain :D

Random Aussie said:
True but he got a lot of hype before the Tests about being the new superstar player......

Yes he was better than Gilly in the Test series but from what I have seen he is nowhere near Gilly as a batsman at any level.

No keeper has ever been as good as Gilly with bat.. There will never be one.
But all these guys were inspired by Gilly. he has played some incredible innings for India in India and Pakistan. A big hitter. So natural tendency will be to compare with Gilly. But he has to do a lot more than that. But he is not as bad as he is made out to be as well. Even Dravid had a mediocre Test series in Australia for the first time. Even Gilly has admitted that his runs are bonus. Same way Dhoni's runs are bonus as long as his keeping is upto the mark.

Back