India v Sri Lanka | Match 2 | CB Series | Brisbane | 4/2/08

jackal786 said:
No keeper has ever been as good as Gilly with bat.. There will never be one.
But all these guys were inspired by Gilly. he has played some incredible innings for India in India and Pakistan. A big hitter. So natural tendency will be to compare with Gilly. But he has to do a lot more than that. But he is not as bad as he is made out to be as well. Even Dravid had a mediocre Test series in Australia for the first time. Even Gilly has admitted that his runs are bonus. Same way Dhoni's runs are bonus as long as his keeping is upto the mark.
So we made him a captain :10: ? I for one dont think it was yet time to get all the experienced seniors out one shot. Dravid'd outster from ODI was ok. Lets see how many times we fold up below 200 in this series against Australia.

bones20 said:
So we made him a captain :10: ? I for one dont think it was yet time to get all the experienced seniors out one shot. Dravid'd outster from ODI was ok. Lets see how many times we fold up below 200 in this series against Australia.

You mean to say India was scoring 300 , 400 against Australia when Ganguly & co played? They were still losing. because of extremely bad fielding India always had to score 40 runs more than that is required.. If par score was 250.. then India had to score 290 to win. When you consider the future benefits, run saving, running between the wickets, aggression you can easily trade off with the so called "secured batting (40 off 90 balls, 70 off 112 balls..etc)".

bones20 said:
Hmm, one of these minows just beat you at your Mecca, Perth in a test match recently and had your batsman licking the wicket yesterday only to be saved by rain :D

No don't remember that :21:

jackal786 said:
You mean to say India was scoring 300 , 400 against Australia when Ganguly & co played? They were still losing. because of extremely bad fielding India always had to score 40 runs more than that is required.. If par score was 250.. then India had to score 290 to win. When you consider the future benefits, run saving, running between the wickets, aggression you can easily trade off with the so called "secured batting (40 off 90 balls, 70 off 112 balls..etc)".
What you are saying will make total sense, if the young guns (+fieding+running-inconsistency) > old guns. Lets see how well they respond. so far in two matches they have shown no maturity/responsibility to build innings.

Last edited:
Dhoni has the right idea playing the young ones - hope for India's sake they are up to it.

What a hundred from Gambhir, brilliant :14: :14: !

Saw that :10: ? Well done Dhoni :14: :14: ! I´m proud at being your fan, mate :19: :D .

Random Aussie said:
True but he got a lot of hype before the Tests about being the new superstar player......

Yes he was better than Gilly in the Test series but from what I have seen he is nowhere near Gilly as a batsman at any level.

There´s no doubt that only few (perhaps even not that) were/are better than Adam Gilchrist. I seriously don´t know who said that Dhoni is currently better than him :20: . Yes, you can hope he can be the one for the future in ODI cricket for sure but he definitely struggles in Test cricket.

Again I say, he can be the one for the future.

DHONI183 said:
There´s no doubt that only few (perhaps even not that) were/are better than Adam Gilchrist. I seriously don´t know who said that Dhoni is currently better than him :20: . Yes, you can hope he can be the one for the future in ODI cricket for sure but he definitely struggles in Test cricket.

Again I say, he can be the one for the future.
u must be happy today

bones20 said:
What you are saying will make total sense, if the young guns (+fieding+running-inconsistency) > old guns. Lets see how well they respond. so far in two matches they have shown no maturity/responsibility to build innings.

bones.. two person who made cardinal error of not building the innings were Tendulkar and Sehwag.. even in the last match.. they didn't go on.

i hope this knock has showed everyone that dhoni knows what hes doing and the youngsters need to get a chance, u cant always rely on the big 3.

also, look at dhoni's score, just 5x4 and 1x6, shows how hard hes worked and how hes prepared to curb his natural style when needed.

the only failure today for me in batting was yuvi since rohit was given a terrible decision.

having said that, india might well lose this match and the whole series miserably, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt give these boys a chance, thats the only way they'll learn.

i hope some of you dont start the whole "keep seniors and juniors in team together" thing again, if the seniors are there, then the young boys dont need to take any responsibility, now they have to.

good thinking by dhoni to send the senior guys to open and see how the younger lot takes the onus upon themselves.

wanted_desi said:
u must be happy today

Happy :11: ? - Dancing all over the place, mate :27: .

Don´t know seriously but I really believe that whenever I´m ill Dhoni scores big to keep me happy :19: .

Crusader said:
Any ozs who can update us with the latest weather in brisbane?

Rain at times with occasional thunder and possible heavy falls. Light to
moderate NE to NW winds.

Has been raining there pretty much since Christmas.

AK600 said:
i hope this knock has showed everyone that dhoni knows what hes doing and the youngsters need to get a chance, u cant always rely on the big 3.

also, look at dhoni's score, just 5x4 and 1x6, shows how hard hes worked and how hes prepared to curb his natural style when needed.

the only failure today for me in batting was yuvi since rohit was given a terrible decision.

having said that, india might well lose this match and the whole series miserably, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt give these boys a chance, thats the only way they'll learn.

i hope some of you dont start the whole "keep seniors and juniors in team together" thing again, if the seniors are there, then the young boys dont need to take any responsibility, now they have to.

good thinking by dhoni to send the senior guys to open and see how the younger lot takes the onus upon themselves.

Its too early to say based on one performance. Lets judge after at least some competed matches. The pitch was very good for batting as you must have seen.

Gambhir goes high in my esteem.
He has been performing extremely well, even when the stars fail.
He did well in the 20-20 and played the most important innings in the final there.

he palyed superbly in the one off 20-20 against aussies in india.

he is coming off with successive hundreds in the semis and finals of ranji trophy.

he was playing ok against aussies in the last match. but today's innings was terrific. he will be a certainity in the side for years to come. Delhi cricketers are generally mentally tough.

let us hope he overcomes his nervous strats and cements a place in tests, we need some one left handed like him in the top of the order with Sehwag.

Right from the 20-20 world cup, Dhoni has been having back problems.
Back problems do not just disappear easily, it takes bed rest. with so many endorsement deals, he wont get a day's rest even away from cricket. he has to be careful not to develop something chronic.for a wicket keeper that would be curtains.Ponting rightly stayed away from the 20-20 after he had the pain during adelaide test. he also explained that he was "pretty much on " his back.

Dhoni has to be careful.I would prefer Raina in the team in case Dhoni rests himself and Uthappa to keep. Karthik's confidence is low.cant seem to bat.

Yeah when it rains in Brisbane it really rains.

I was sitting in a cafe there on a normal day when a thunderstorm hit - cafe was flooded within 30 minutes.

Crusader said:
Its too early to say based on one performance. Lets judge after at least some competed matches. The pitch was very good for batting as you must have seen.

oh ok, so its ok to judge them on one bad performance but not on one good one? that makes perfect sense :)

from cric
The players are back on the field now and it's Sri Lanka's turn to have a go with the bat even as clouds loom. There's a bit of drizzle still on. Play should be getting under way about now but the covers are on and now we can see a couple of the players in the outfield messing about with a couple of remote controlled cars in some sort of race.

Can't they just play the entire series inside the telstra dome.???

.its ridiculous that the first two matches in a series get washed out

AK600 said:
oh ok, so its ok to judge them on one bad performance but not on one good one? that makes perfect sense :)

I think we mutually agreed that we are gonna judge after at least 4 completed ODIs :) Or whats your take?

probably there won't be any more game.. just saw in tv, ground is really flooded..

Random Aussie said:
Yeah when it rains in Brisbane it really rains.

I was sitting in a cafe there on a normal day when a thunderstorm hit - cafe was flooded within 30 minutes.

They should have planned for a reserve day then :13:

dinakar said:
probably there won't be any more game.. just saw in tv, ground is really flooded..

Yea, the radar is showing moderate rain for at least 3 hours. The ground will be a swimming pool by then.

But their drainage is very good. I think lets wait for next half hour. It might be a 20-20 contest for SL

Dhonifan said:
from cric
we can see a couple of the players in the outfield messing about with a couple of remote controlled cars in some sort of race.

Think they plan to settle this match in a sort of a drag-race using remote controlled cars.. :13:

Shsssa. Last match Australia got lucky and today sri Lanka. No justice for India :p Australia jave to make the rains stop or else lets call this tour off :))

Last edited:
poor planning on the part of all the boards, all of em too money hungry to care about anything else.

We might have play in an hour. Might be 20-25 overs for SL. The weather is slowling clearing

the batsmen just need confidence and they can easily smack even someone like lee all over the park.

look at what the aussies do to pollock...its all about confidence, and that'll only come if they keep playing instead of warming the benches while saurav and vvs are batting.

Crusader said:
We might have play in an hour. Might be 20-25 overs for SL. The weather is slowling clearing

Really :20: ????? Cricinfo says this: "Well, the news is not good news. It's steadily raining, the covers are nailed down in the middle and collecting puddles. The crowd are hanging round, though, wellybobs out. The cut-off time is 8.21 according to the India media manager."

DHONI183 said:
Really :20: ????? Cricinfo says this: "Well, the news is not good news. It's steadily raining, the covers are nailed down in the middle and collecting puddles. The crowd are hanging round, though, wellybobs out. The cut-off time is 8.21 according to the India media manager."

Yes, the rain is gonna stop in around 30-40 mins from now. So i think it will be a 20 over match atleast. Good news there is no more rain for sure after this one stops.

7.00pm Well, the news is not good news. It's steadily raining, the covers are nailed down in the middle and collecting puddles. The crowd are hanging round, though, wellybobs out. The cut-off time is 8.21 according to the India media manager.

If we were a TV company - technically I suppose we're owned by one, ESPN, it would be time for replays, with a big flashing R in the top right corner for extra retro effect. So here's the highlight of India's innings:

44.1 Jayasuriya to Dhoni, SIX, Dhoni at his best! Brings up the fifty in quality style, with a huge stand-and-deliver six over long-on, played on the up and up, throwing all his weight behind that
=============
lol gotta love how they do everything to cheer u up during the breaks lol

Crusader said:
Yea, the radar is showing moderate rain for at least 3 hours. The ground will be a swimming pool by then.

Ian Thorpe, Micheal Phelps and the chinese diving team are already there :D

Latest from Cricinfo..

7.20pm "Most of the rain is almost over," reckons Aussie Ahmed who's either psychic, living in the area, or has been on a weather website. "It should clear up within half an hour." Let's hope so as time is a-ticking.

Crusader said:
How far is Woolloga from Brisbane? Seems the match is played at Woologa a suburb of Brisbane?

Woolloga WHAT? never heard of it

7.45pm Not holding out much hope, friends. And Ahmed's back. "The system is moving slower than anticipated. It should take a while before the rain stops completely. By then, we would all be home."

===========

well atleast we get batting practice lol

3 cheers for the toss

yesterday was good luck, today was or wasnt bad luck (u never know :p)

so i guess india has been more than lucky so far in the series. sl could well have chased down 260.

7.55pm Breaking news The match has been called off, as expected. The players are shaking hands with the umpires in the middle.

7.55pm Breaking news The match has been called off, as expected. The players are shaking hands with the umpires in the middle.

7.50pm The umpires are walking out into the middle for the obligatory inspection, reports our super sleuth Nagraj Gollapudi.
=========
i guess dhoni will be satisfied, he got plenty of batting :)

OzPride said:
Woolloga WHAT? never heard of it

Think he means Woollongabba (no idea how to spell it either)

It is right in the heart of Brisbane - about 5 mins from the city

That the Indians want to be aggressive was spelt out by Yuvraj Singh ahead of the triangular series.

"We want to be aggressive, though it doesn't have to be physically aggressive or glaring at the opponent. You can be aggressive with your body language," he said.

So was Yuvraj himself aggressive again like the rest of this tour?

2 runs off 11 balls...what a beastly innings; he has been leading (by personal example), this 'Aggressive Brigade' :21:

OzPride said:
267. Dont happen to know the lotto numbers for tommorrow do ya...lol :19:

He will probably miss that by 3 numbers too :))

AK600 said:

That is the whole point. They look stifled when seniors are around. They lose their game plan. They get overwhelmed. Now they are on their own.

AK600 said:

This whole theory of fielding a young side at any expense (seniors in case here) is absolutely ridiculous and insensible. You are talking about sacking people who have scored 10000+ runs world over at the expense of some Ranji stars. I still cant believe they dropped ganguly for Raina because he fields well. LOL.

By your theory, Australia should sack hayden and the rest of the team who are 30+. lets go young.

Selection should be based on one's value to team and not on age. Seniors should be sacked only when there are real promising newbees and it should be a gradual one. Not something violent as this. I am not a big fan of Ganguly but based on pure numbers, he deserved a place in the side.

Back