Is "Lollywood" on its deathbed?

MIG

PakPassion Administrator
Runs
Havent watched a Pakistani movie in ages but from some glimpses I have seen on TV etc, there isnt much happening at Lollywood which would inspire a great deal of hope.

Is Lollywood on its deathbed ? Will it be able to stand up to its Indian neighbor ?

On my last trip to Pakistan, the number of movie theaters seemed to have decreased - is that the case?

MIG, things have never been the same since my main men Mustafa Qureshi and Sultan Rahi passed away.

I always thought that Lollywood's forte was the Punjabi films.

I guess the investment isnt there and them damn organs neve stop playing in the background on every scene.

Yes. They are simply terrible, and no one wants to watch them. They should stick with dramas.

So true - but then a lot of old actors such as Mohammad Ali, Zeba, Nadeem, Shabnam etc also moved on - we just havent been able to produce actors who could stand on their own and not be copies of Bollywood.

I wonder if the "Islamization" of society has had an effect as well ?

Javed Sheikh and Salma Agha also added a bit of glamour to Lollywood, but of course they moved on too.

Just watch the Pak channels and you will get endless 'Lollywood stars' telling the public how great their films are - how 'family orientated' they are. And how the public needs to support the industry.

Reality is totally different.

Lollywood right after its birth went on its death bed and has stayed there ever since.

I've heard a lot about the so-called "golden era" and I've watched a few superhits of the time. and I'm very, very far from impressed. I heard lots about Waheed Murad (and yes, the man was good looking and had style) but as an actor he was a dwarf compared to his peers on TV. similarly Mohammad Ali was an awful, awful actor. Sultan Rahi - I don't have the words to describe how bad he was. the only thing that was good about the "golden era" was the music. there was some excellent music made. apart from the music, I just don't see what the big deal is about the olden days.

if you're going to make a masalah falam where munda meets kuri and kuri's abba gets his knickers in a knot, it doesn't matter whether you spend 1 laakh rupees on it or a 100 lakh rupees on it. people like me (who grew up watching plays by Shehzad Khalil, Nusrat Thakur, Shoaib Mansoor, Mohsin Ali, Shahid Nadeem, Sahira Kazmi) will not watch these Lollywood falams.

I personally wish that Lollywood would just die already and out of its ashes, a new industry be born - an industry run by educated, intelligent, refined people - not Gaama Maaja from Androon Lahore who runs a barber shop on the side.

Shoaib Mansoor's "Khuda Ke Liye" is the first step. if that is successful it should encourage guys like Jami, Saqib Malik to take the plunge. there is also Mehreen Jabbar's "Ramchand Pakistani" which looks very, very promising. Sabiha Sumar's "Khamosh Pani" was outstanding. but I bet less than 5 people on this site have seen it. and but when it comes to complaining about the lack of good Pakistani films, everyone wants to be on the bandwagon.

Saj said:
Javed Sheikh and Salma Agha also added a bit of glamour to Lollywood, but of course they moved on too.

may God save everyone from the glamour of Javed Sheikh and Salma Agha. these two persons are cheapness and chichorapan personified.

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar said:
may God save everyone from the glamour of Javed Sheikh and Salma Agha. these two persons are cheapness and chichorapan personified.

lol :))) Now Javed Sheikh can be seen in Bollywood movies.

The soon to be released Dharmendra,Sunny and Bobby Deol starrer "Apne" also has Javed Sheikh in a small roll!.I believe an obese Sunny Doel plays a boxer or something like that!.Lollywood was always an
embarrassment with its pathetic actors and actresses just making fools of themselves so they should just put our battered and bruised industry out of its misery.Its not that there is a shortage of talented artists but the stories lack any meaning and originality.Many attempt to imitate Bollywood blockbusters lekin naqal ke liye bhi aqal chahiye!

Last edited:
Saj said:
MIG, things have never been the same since my main men Mustafa Qureshi and Sultan Rahi passed away.

I always thought that Lollywood's forte was the Punjabi films.

I guess the investment isnt there and them damn organs neve stop playing in the background on every scene.

Mustafa Qureshi is the main man!

I really hate the word 'Lollywood', maybe the boys at Evergreen Studios should chip together a few rupees to Rebrand Lollywood.

Lollywood is almost in the ground. Lets see if the likes of shoaib mansoor can do something

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar said:
Lollywood right after its birth went on its death bed and has stayed there ever since.

I've heard a lot about the so-called "golden era" and I've watched a few superhits of the time. and I'm very, very far from impressed. I heard lots about Waheed Murad (and yes, the man was good looking and had style) but as an actor he was a dwarf compared to his peers on TV. similarly Mohammad Ali was an awful, awful actor. Sultan Rahi - I don't have the words to describe how bad he was. the only thing that was good about the "golden era" was the music. there was some excellent music made. apart from the music, I just don't see what the big deal is about the olden days.

if you're going to make a masalah falam where munda meets kuri and kuri's abba gets his knickers in a knot, it doesn't matter whether you spend 1 laakh rupees on it or a 100 lakh rupees on it. people like me (who grew up watching plays by Shehzad Khalil, Nusrat Thakur, Shoaib Mansoor, Mohsin Ali, Shahid Nadeem, Sahira Kazmi) will not watch these Lollywood falams.

I personally wish that Lollywood would just die already and out of its ashes, a new industry be born - an industry run by educated, intelligent, refined people - not Gaama Maaja from Androon Lahore who runs a barber shop on the side.

Shoaib Mansoor's "Khuda Ke Liye" is the first step. if that is successful it should encourage guys like Jami, Saqib Malik to take the plunge. there is also Mehreen Jabbar's "Ramchand Pakistani" which looks very, very promising. Sabiha Sumar's "Khamosh Pani" was outstanding. but I bet less than 5 people on this site have seen it. and but when it comes to complaining about the lack of good Pakistani films, everyone wants to be on the bandwagon.

agree with everything there MT. these so called great actors like waheed murad, and specially sultan rahi were just awful.

to add to ur list of good/potentially good films, zar gul was one that was supposedly very professional and won the best film award at a film festival as well ( i think it was the toronto film festival but i might be wrong).

Enter Imran Khan!!!.The poor man is the one we pin all our hopes on expecting him to perform miracles!!.Lets see if he can do something with our movie industry!!!

waqar_ahmad said:
agree with everything there MT. these so called great actors like waheed murad, and specially sultan rahi were just awful.

to add to ur list of good/potentially good films, zar gul was one that was supposedly very professional and won the best film award at a film festival as well ( i think it was the toronto film festival but i might be wrong).

it indeed was. Zar Gul won the best film award in the 98 Toronto film fest. it is so sad that Usman Peerzada to this day has not been able to get his movie released in Pakistan. he gets no cooperation both from distributors and censors.

similarly, "Khamosh Pani" was apparently shown on mobile projectors in various villages for FREE by Sabiha but was again not released mainstream. the irony is that it was released in India and was very well received. I've seen it - it played in some small theatres in Toronto and Waterloo. but not in Pakistan. and it is infinitely better than anything Waheed Murad ever did. that is pretty damn sad, imo. my only objection to it was that the lead role was given to an Indian actress when there were many Pakistani actresses who could have played that role well. apparently they wanted to hire Saba Pervez first but she wasn't available.

the recently made "Zibahkhana" has been a massive hit everywhere it's played. it apparently was screened at LUMS and the reaction was astounding. but even then the director is not going to release it via distributors commercially. so, how are we going to develop a good film tradition if every filmmaker who tries to make a good film goes bankrupt? what incentive does he/she have to ever attempt anything ever again?

some Pakistani writer once wrote - we all talk about good films and how they're not made in Pakistan. but the crux of the matter is - what is a good film? is a cheap Bollywood masalah musical a good film? if the answer is yes and Bollywood is our benchmark, then the so-called "Lollywood" is better off dead.

the only way to revitalize Pakistani films is to make intelligent films. the so-called "art" films should be the standard and the norm. the musical masalahs should be the exception and not vice versa as is the case currently. Shoaib Mansoor, Mehreen Jabbar, Saqib Malik are capable of reversing this trend - lets hope they get the support these talented people deserve.

Nakhuda said:
The soon to be released Dharmendra,Sunny and Bobby Deol starrer "Apne" also has Javed Sheikh in a small roll!.I believe an obese Sunny Doel plays a boxer or something like that!.Lollywood was always an
embarrassment with its pathetic actors and actresses just making fools of themselves so they should just put our battered and bruised industry out of its misery.Its not that there is a shortage of talented artists but the stories lack any meaning and originality.Many attempt to imitate Bollywood blockbusters lekin naqal ke liye bhi aqal chahiye!

I don't understand... how is Lollywood an embarrassment and Bollywood is not? how can it not be embarrassing making 5000 films every single year on the same girl meets boy theme?

how can anyone criticize Lollywood if their benchmark for good films is Bollywood? I just don't get it.

Most of the Bollywood stuff is equally as rubbish but atleast their movies are professionally processed where as new Pakistani releases look about twenty years old :O !.Its embarrassing b'cos Lollywood emulates Bollywood not vice versa.Furthermore,its our actors/actresses that go to India looking for work not the other way round.

Nakhuda said:
Most of the Bollywood stuff is equally as rubbish but atleast their movies are professionally processed where as new Pakistani releases look about twenty years old :O !.Its embarrassing b'cos Lollywood emulates Bollywood not vice versa.Furthermore,its our actors/actresses that go to India looking for work not the other way round.

the fact that bollywood uses better technology doesnt mean that the movies become watchable all of a sudden. the story lines are similar ot lollywood with the girl meets guy plot in almost every movie.

pakistani film actors go to bolllywood not coz their films are better, but only for money and fame coz many people like to watch that cheesy, crappy bollywood bull. theirs is a bigger film industry so face it, there is more money and fame involved, but that doesnt make their films any less embarrassing

I didn't say Bollywood storylines are better but their movies are professionally processed.Try to understand this simple point.No matter what our people go looking for work in India not the other way round!

Last edited:
it is so sad that Usman Peerzada to this day has not been able to get his movie released in Pakistan. he gets no cooperation both from distributors and censors.
is he the person who was in "The Blood of Hussain" or some movie with a similar name or religeous theme but not allowed in Pakistan (early 80s). I know one or two Peerzada were in it. could that be a reason other than being over qualified to make movies

Lollywood used to b good till Maula Jatt hit screen and since then it never came back to heights which it used to be.
ppl in Lollywood over the years didn't improve anything in movie industry.
they don't use better technology and they don't do any kind of promotion of movie. I don't remeber I have seen any lollywood movie trailer on TV channels.
no any arrangements of music release, no any media coverage.
no any original DVDs, CDs of music of movie.
almost nothing is available overseas as far as lollywood movies are concerned.
cinemas are closing, cinema which are still there are not suitable for families.
no any storylines, they put 3-4 couples in every movie, 4-5fight scenes,4-5 songs and movie is compelte.

dunno with all above problems how our movie industry have good movies.
as for name is concern, it come from Bollywood which was taken from Hollywood. Bollywood (based in Bombay), Lollywood (based in Lahore)

Nakhuda said:
I didn't say Bollywood storylines are better but their movies are professionally processed.Try to understand this simple point.No matter what our people go looking for work in India not the other way round!

i know and understand what u r saying. but the fact that some of our actors go to india doesnt mean much. There are a lot of aussies playin county cricket in england, adn not the other way around, does it mean that english county cricket is better than the aussie domestic cricket? no it doesnt.

i know indian film industry is better tech, wise, but they r churning out crap. and alll im saying is that our actors goign to india doesnt mean anything except that there is more money there coz the industry is bigger.

k guys this question is bugging me...
If we can think of all this stuff on how whats wrong and how to improve, then why can't the people who make the movies think like this also? They can't this stupid. This is all common sense, but why hasn't our film industry progressed when we know how to improve...

Plasma said:
k guys this question is bugging me...
If we can think of all this stuff on how whats wrong and how to improve, then why can't the people who make the movies think like this also? They can't this stupid. This is all common sense, but why hasn't our film industry progressed when we know how to improve...

most of ppl working in film industry are uneducated ppl who don't care what kinda stuff they are making. they jsut want a bit of profit that's all. But now some ppl in industry have started to think as at moment film industry is total disaster and cinemas are closing down

Asim2Good said:
most of ppl working in film industry are uneducated ppl who don't care what kinda stuff they are making. they jsut want a bit of profit that's all. But now some ppl in industry have started to think as at moment film industry is total disaster and cinemas are closing down
you don't have to be educated to have common sense...

Plasma said:
you don't have to be educated to have common sense...

but it does effect kind of work they specially in film indutry.
an educated man ll work on every part of movie, while uneducated man ll not think how movie ll have effect (on ppl and on film industry)
and ppl working in film industry are also uneducated which are basic of making film

Asim2Good said:
but it does effect kind of work they specially in film indutry.
an educated man ll work on every part of movie, while uneducated man ll not think how movie ll have effect (on ppl and on film industry)
and ppl working in film industry are also uneducated which are basic of making film
Yeah good point, i guess education is the key for our country to develop.

there are different reasons for it to go down and some people have stated them like lack of production, sound, music quality.

I haven't watced a Paksitani movie in decades but I have seen a few bollywood movies in last 20 years so I will talk about that and maybhe there is a connection other than the production. Bollywood is going down. For me they made a lot better movies earlier but now it is just crap.
Now excuse the names or me not remembering them when I mention them. Two of the biggest movies that I have heard of from Bollywood in last 10 some years are Lagaan and Dil Walay Dhulnian lay jain Gay. These were at most average movies compared to their early movies but these got the awards and oscar nominations. I saw them on USA cable probably because of these reasons but they were just boring and bad. Not even one good song that can sometimes make a desi movie.
The big audience of the movies are poor and uneducated people who want some relief from the hard life. Some may want to jump up and down in theater and applaud. But that is not all true if you ask the Indian members here, some will say they were good movies but I assume the members here are not the poor and uneducated people.
They have killed their art movies too and some of them were great and compareable to good hollywood or independent movies which made Nasiruddin Shah famous and he also says that there is a problem in the industry because you cannot keep copying movies and keep repeating the same story line. But I think the problem is people didn't watch them and slowly they die

They have not been able to find a balance and employ creative people. There is no shortage of writers and story tellers. The market might be flooded with producers and directors who know what will make money and they are probably in this business because they want to make the money and not create art. In hollywood some people may take 2-5 years thinking and working on a project but in Bollywood/Hollywood the people might be working on 2-3 projects a year every year.

Is Lollywood dying? I think it died a while ago otherwise people would have been talking about some movies for years. I have only heard two names Pehla Pehla Pyar and Khuda kay lien??? Now it can only revive but it will not be easy.

Anyone remember drama Waris? where the younger son wanted to make a movie. that is the impression I get of Lollywood but then some also get caught as they know that is what may sell even if it is on small scale

I hope pakistan beats india on this one, I will be rooting for you guys .......the lesser our people watch movies better for our country ..............wat a waste of precious time !

jusarrived said:
I hope pakistan beats india on this one, I will be rooting for you guys .......the lesser our people watch movies better for our country ..............wat a waste of precious time !

don't you worry people here already eat bollywood live bollywood sleep bollywood....

don't think Pakistan can beat India in film industry at moment. even they start working now, it will take time. Our govt. don't support film industry and we don't have cinema halls in major cities let alone in smaller cities. in comparison I think in India a film released in around 30 cinemas only in Mumbai area (is that correct)? we may not have total 30 cinmeas in our whole country (which would b suitable for family)

death bed? I thought it died a long time ago.

Last edited:
Asim2Good said:
don't think Pakistan can beat India in film industry at moment. even they start working now, it will take time. Our govt. don't support film industry and we don't have cinema halls in major cities let alone in smaller cities. in comparison I think in India a film released in around 30 cinemas only in Mumbai area (is that correct)? we may not have total 30 cinmeas in our whole country (which would b suitable for family)

I gues there are around 30 multiplexes in mumbai & much more old cinema halls....say 70 -80 screens in mumbai alone :(

jusarrived said:
I gues there are around 30 multiplexes in mumbai & much more old cinema halls....say 70 -80 screens in mumbai alone :(

there u go, we don't that much in our whole country

just watch Khamosh Pani, and i must say that it has to be one of the best movies i have ever watched...why can't they make more movies like these?

My all time favourite Lollywood movie is Heer Ranjha (the punjabi one), with Rangeela, Nanna etc etc Some of the songs in that were good too.

Whilst the acting was pretty poor in it, the comedy scenes were extremely funny.

sunny92 said:
don't you worry people here already eat bollywood live bollywood sleep bollywood....

Like how. I mean Pakistan isn't just You...

Pakistani movie industry will never survive under the influence of the masal films from Bollywood. Jussarrived says that Indian fim industry is big, blah blah blah, but the fact remains: IT IS CRAP. Simple as that and the large number of productions and theatres only prove one point: INDIAN AUDIENCE ARE CRAP. I don't rate Bollywood or Hollywood or any other Wood anywhere near as high as the French film industry. You can get French films with subtitles, specially in Canada you shouldn't have any problem MT. All my favorite films happen to be French: My favourite films are:

5) My Wife is an Actress
http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Wife-Actress-Charlotte-Gainsbourg/dp/B00008WQ8R/ref=sr_1_4/026-2421354-2604419?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184080029&sr=1-4
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0269499/

4) Innocence
http://www.amazon.com/Innocence-Original-Version-English-Subtitles/dp/B000KAWEYA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3668064-9867820?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184080669&sr=1-1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375233/

3) And they Lived Happily Ever After ( Ils se marièrent et eurent beaucoup d'enfants)
http://www.amazon.com/mari%C3%A8rent-beaucoup-denfants-Original-Version/dp/B000B7PE4Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/103-3668064-9867820?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184080512&sr=8-3
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381270/

2) He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not [À la folie... pas du tout]
http://www.amazon.com/He-Loves-Me-Not/dp/B00005JM48/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3668064-9867820?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184081057&sr=1-1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291579/

1) Amelie [Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain]
http://www.amazon.com/Amelie-Audrey-Tautou/dp/B0000640VO/ref=sr_1_10/103-3668064-9867820?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184081222&sr=1-10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211915/

Hey MT watch these films and you would be surprised to see what you have been missing all your life. Actually we have been robbed of the real cinema by Hollywood in its various disguises, be it Bollywood or Lollywood. Cinema was born in France and France is the place where best films are produced. Do yourself a favour, get hold of one of these films and they would surprise you.

Joseph K. said:
Pakistani movie industry will never survive under the influence of the masal films from Bollywood. Jussarrived says that Indian fim industry is big, blah blah blah, but the fact remains: IT IS CRAP. Simple as that and the large number of productions and theatres only prove one point: INDIAN AUDIENCE ARE CRAP. I don't rate Bollywood or Hollywood or any other Wood anywhere near as high as the French film industry. You can get French films with subtitles, specially in Canada you shouldn't have any problem MT. All my favorite films happen to be French: My favourite films are:

5) My Wife is an Actress
http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Wife-Actress-Charlotte-Gainsbourg/dp/B00008WQ8R/ref=sr_1_4/026-2421354-2604419?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184080029&sr=1-4

4) Innocence
http://www.amazon.com/Innocence-Original-Version-English-Subtitles/dp/B000KAWEYA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3668064-9867820?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184080669&sr=1-1

3) And they Lived Happily Ever After ( Ils se marièrent et eurent beaucoup d'enfants)
http://www.amazon.com/mari%C3%A8rent-beaucoup-denfants-Original-Version/dp/B000B7PE4Y/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/103-3668064-9867820?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184080512&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/He-Loves-Me-Not/dp/B00005JM48/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3668064-9867820?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184081057&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Amelie-Audrey-Tautou/dp/B0000640VO/ref=sr_1_10/103-3668064-9867820?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1184081222&sr=1-10

Hey MT watch these films and you would be surprised to see what you have been missing all your life. Actually we have been robbed of the real cinema by Hollywood in its various disguises, be it Bollywood or Lollywood. Cinema was born in France and France is the place where best films are produced. Do yourself a favour, get hold of one of these films and they would surprise you.

exactly what i have been trying to say, a big audience, a big industry does not mean that the quality is good

Anyone seen 80's Pakistani comedy "Dubai Chalo" with Ali Ejaz and Nanna??.Its a brilliant laugh!!! :))

Zeenix said:
Like how. I mean Pakistan isn't just You...

Now where did I say I like Bollywood...For evidence of that open your eyes and look around....

Joseph K. said:

5) My Wife is an Actress

4) Innocence

Dude , firstly I don watch movies .....IMO movies are a waste of time ,be it indian ,english or french ........ & you call indian audience crap ? atleast we watch somthing which is been made for us ....instead you shud take look into your own people who shamelessly watch our movies & worse the same people come here and criticize them....how pathetic is that ? ::J

sunny92 said:
Now where did I say I like Bollywood...For evidence of that open your eyes and look around....

I have my eyes opened and i can't see what you seem to be seeing. To me you seem to be OTT in your assessment of bollywood obsession

Zeenix said:
I have my eyes opened and i can't see what you seem to be seeing. To me you seem to be OTT in your assessment of bollywood obsession

Well if people of this country are not obssessed with Bollywood then Musharraf is a god send angel, I am Einstein, You are Miss. World and Is that a Pig flying???? :p

Believe me Yaara I am talking out of my experience of living in places like Hunza and gilgit(of which probably many here have never even heard of) as well as living in cities. and if there is one thing common in people from north to the south & upperclass to the lower class of the country its the obsession with bollywood.

The problem with Lollywood is it's disgusting attempts to imitate Bollywood.

Our music industry, news media, dramas etc.. are distinctly Pakistani - why can't we have a movie industry with it's own identity ?

Lollywood is one foot in grave and the other on a banana peel , just need pigeon feather to push in to the end and drive the one last nail into LOllywoods coffin.

Bump

12 years on, Pak now has multiplexes no competition from Bollywood anymore and set up production houses and awards as well.

Can Pak bounce back to pre-1971 level?

I have given my review of ‘Main Punjab nahi aaongi’ already, what movies are worth it.

Khuda Ke liye is still imo the best and surprisingly came in the year this thread was created.

Na Maloom Afrad was pretty good, WAAR was slick as well.

General Zia ul Haq is to blame for the death of film industry

Bump

12 years on, Pak now has multiplexes no competition from Bollywood anymore and set up production houses and awards as well.

Can Pak bounce back to pre-1971 level?

I have given my review of ‘Main Punjab nahi aaongi’ already, what movies are worth it.

Khuda Ke liye is still imo the best and surprisingly came in the year this thread was created.

Na Maloom Afrad was pretty good, WAAR was slick as well.

The wife made me watch Mein Punjab Nahi Jaungi.... I watched it skip skip karkay. It was good time pass and parts were funny. Fav dialogue was 'help me durdana' lmaoooo

Actor in Law is a good movie too. Teefa in Trouble recently got nominated for some Asian award, I didn't like it that much too much maar dhaar.

The wife made me watch Mein Punjab Nahi Jaungi.... I watched it skip skip karkay. It was good time pass and parts were funny. Fav dialogue was 'help me durdana' lmaoooo

Actor in Law is a good movie too. Teefa in Trouble recently got nominated for some Asian award, I didn't like it that much too much maar dhaar.

Yes that was the highlight of the movie but i disliked lot of stuff abt it except acting which was good, actor in law was good haven't seen teefa in trouble(looked bollywoodish).

Saw another movie called Josh(old) ,came to know abt that movie coz Ali Azmat's song Na re Na and imo it had an extremely good storyline but they made it like a tele movie but this time script ,screenplay,acting was good the production work lacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpv3JjS6iI4

I saw the Jinnah movie as well and thought it was a good take but it easily could had been made better inspite of having Christopher Lee, saw it coz again Ali Azmat's song(Junoon se) and Shashi Kapoor(who had actually stopped acting but somehow took that movie).

Last edited:
Yes that was the highlight of the movie but i disliked lot of stuff abt it except acting which was good, actor in law was good haven't seen teefa in trouble(looked bollywoodish).

Saw another movie called Josh(old) ,came to know abt that movie coz Ali Azmat's song Na re Na and imo it had an extremely good storyline but they made it like a tele movie but this time script ,screenplay,acting was good the production work lacked.

I saw the Jinnah movie as well and thought it was a good take but it easily could had been made better inspite of having Christopher Lee, saw it coz again Ali Azmat's song(Junoon se) and Shashi Kapoor(who had actually stopped acting but somehow took that movie).

I watched a movie a couple of years ago called Maryam.... it was about one of the first female Pakistani fighter pilots, she passed away after her plane crashed on a training mission. The movie was on her life. It was a good watch.

Oh btw watch Cake... I haven't yet, but been told its the best Pakistani movie in recent times.

Dobara Phir Se was also a light movie for good time pass, I liked the acting and this song.

Movie:

Song:

Dobara Phir Se was also a light movie for good time pass, I liked the acting and this song.

Movie:

Song:

Excited for The Legend of Maula Jatt - lots of hype behind that movie despite its delays...

Oh btw watch Cake... I haven't yet, but been told its the best Pakistani movie in recent times

Thanks for the link, cake was on my reminder when it came out but I forgot will check out for sure.

Cake is a good one to watch.

As said above Maula Jatt will be an important milestone for the industry. Judgingby the trailer If they can pull it off might push limits of the industry further.

[MENTION=138254]Syed1[/MENTION] finished Cake , a very good movie but most impressive was acting of Mr. Syed Mohammad great expressions perfect delivery of dialogues , it was for elite and dysfunctional families though, also if you are working abroad and parents back home you might be bit saddened.

[MENTION=146530]DeadBall[/MENTION] you seen this?

[MENTION=138254]Syed1[/MENTION] finished Cake , a very good movie but most impressive was acting of Mr. Syed Mohammad great expressions perfect delivery of dialogues , it was for elite and dysfunctional families though, also if you are working abroad and parents back home you might be bit saddened.

[MENTION=146530]DeadBall[/MENTION] you seen this?

I gave up after 10 minutes into the movie. Looked like an elite mummy daddy movie with first world problems. Not for me.

I gave up after 10 minutes into the movie. Looked like an elite mummy daddy movie with first world problems. Not for me.

Yes if you didn’t like Kapoor and sons you will not like this , but they do expose some of the hypocrisy of first world in later stages.

Technically Pakistani movies are better than 90s/2000s but like Bollywood movies the movie scripts are weak, with songs not connected to the storyline. I miss the Pakistani 1960s/1970s movies. Nadeem, Waheed Murad and Mohd Ali had some good movies with great performances and songs. Also sub continent's ATG comedian Munawer Zareef used to be sublime and rib tickling.

Technically Pakistani movies are better than 90s/2000s but like Bollywood movies the movie scripts are weak, with songs not connected to the storyline. I miss the Pakistani 1960s/1970s movies. Nadeem, Waheed Murad and Mohd Ali had some good movies with great performances and songs. Also sub continent's ATG comedian Munawer Zareef used to be sublime and rib tickling.

Even when script is good eg:Josh , they have issues with Direction, now Cake was directed well but it absolutely served only one section of society.

As said a lot depends upon Maula Jatt , it had commercial ingredients and even a decent script to make people walk into theaters.

Even when script is good eg:Josh , they have issues with Direction, now Cake was directed well but it absolutely served only one section of society.

As said a lot depends upon Maula Jatt , it had commercial ingredients and even a decent script to make people walk into theaters.
Problem with Lollywood is the budget as they are competing with higher budget Bollywood movies, and now youth are also watching lots of Hollywood movies so they cannot make much profits. Having said that credit should be given to film producers who are trying to revive Lollywood nevertheless. There are some brave attempts in between glossy glamour movies produced.

Sarmad Khoosat getting threats for his movie 'Zindagi Tamasha'

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Getting dozens of threatening phone calls and msgs. Should I withdraw Zindagi Tamasha? <a href="https://t.co/OJB396B1xq">pic.twitter.com/OJB396B1xq</a></p>— Sarmad Khoosat (@KhoosatSarmad) <a href="https://twitter.com/KhoosatSarmad/status/1218883372375838721?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 19, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Finally a promising Pakistani movie is made and it has to go through all this.

Does Lollywood imply Lahori wood? as in the movie industry is in Lahore? If so then yes lol. Punjabi movies are too vulgar for the mainstream, only a select few (mostly men) watch it.

Pakistans hub for entertainment is, and will be Karachi and stuff coming from there is pretty decent.

Last edited:
Pakistan has produced some top quality films since the revival of Pakistani cinema. I recommend you to watch:

1. Waar
2. Na Maloom Afrad
3. Manto
4. Maalik
5. Teefa in Trouble
6. Laal Kabootar

These are some awesome content films.

Are movie starts appreciated by common Pakistani on the street? Unless there is craze for film stars in common man's heart, its hard for movies to make money. If they don't make money, the industry will either die or simply be on the ventilator hoping for a revival.

They are making fewer movies, but the movies they are producing are of top quality. As I have recommended some movies above, watch them. I am sure you will enjoy them. And thank me later.

I think Lollywood is recovering really well now.

few of the movies which i recently watched were very interesting

I think they are heading in right direction now

Are movie starts appreciated by common Pakistani on the street? Unless there is craze for film stars in common man's heart, its hard for movies to make money. If they don't make money, the industry will either die or simply be on the ventilator hoping for a revival.
no man.

Its the same 5-6 people that get casted in every movie. Plus our actors dont go to any theater or acting school. They are just people that have good looks, posh schools and decide to do acting..

Govt has banned Indian movies, so the only local language movie are these or the english movies which are dubbed.

I think Lollywood is recovering really well now.

few of the movies which i recently watched were very interesting

I think they are heading in right direction now
its not, its a bubble that will burst.

Bollywood actors are people that took up theater and worked their way up. Pakistan doesnt have that culture.

Just by producing a film a film industry doesnt exist, you need proper actors

However, one thing i will add is that film making is something that people are chosing and working, so we will see more pakistani editors and film makers. But actors are a no no

its not, its a bubble that will burst.

Bollywood actors are people that took up theater and worked their way up. Pakistan doesnt have that culture.

Just by producing a film a film industry doesnt exist, you need proper actors

However, one thing i will add is that film making is something that people are chosing and working, so we will see more pakistani editors and film makers. But actors are a no no

If the film industry will get revived so actors will also show interest and we will see new talent. So, I think it's gradually recovering well.

saw few pakistanis films over the last decade, they are ok, but most revolve around a fairly tried moral foundation. last film i saw was zindagi tamasha, interesting concept but had to forward a fair bit as it dragged on for pbly 30 minutes to long.

any other films on the horizon?

no man.

Its the same 5-6 people that get casted in every movie. Plus our actors dont go to any theater or acting school. They are just people that have good looks, posh schools and decide to do acting..

Govt has banned Indian movies, so the only local language movie are these or the english movies which are dubbed.
There is the National College of Arts in Lahore, and notable stars such as Ali Zafar and Ayesha Omar attended NCA.

There is the National College of Arts in Lahore, and notable stars such as Ali Zafar and Ayesha Omar attended NCA.
NCA is not really a school for Drama, its more of a networking university where everyone networks and use those contacts later on.

India has drama and theatre schools with rich history.

Who have watched Maula Jatt? Hamza Ali Abbasi has done an amazing job in acting. Hamza's acting overshadowed Fawad's acting. The movie's plot is also fantastic.

Who have watched Maula Jatt? Hamza Ali Abbasi has done an amazing job in acting. Hamza's acting overshadowed Fawad's acting. The movie's plot is also fantastic.
I have that too in cinema in States, when I recommended it to my Pakistani friends they themselves didn’t want to watch it citing its in Punjabi(they were urdu speaking). I recommended it to my Indian Punjabi friends too.

All other movies that you recommended are good but not even close to commercial aspects of Maula Jatt, movie industry requires consistent churning of entertaining movies that appeal to majority of the nation and only Maula Jatt did that unless you have somewhat mature audience like Malyalees .

NCA is not really a school for Drama, its more of a networking university where everyone networks and use those contacts later on.

India has drama and theatre schools with rich history.
India has movie making schools,FTII is the one which has churned out way more contributors than NSD as film making is a huge process involving so many people other than actors.

Also Pakistani cinema fraternity keep fighting my among themselves, Maula jatt took forever to release.
Shaan Shahid is the most bitter celeb I have seen after Kangana in south Asia.

India has movie making schools,FTII is the one which has churned out way more contributors than NSD as film making is a huge process involving so many people other than actors.

Also Pakistani cinema fraternity keep fighting my among themselves, Maula jatt took forever to release.
Shaan Shahid is the most bitter celeb I have seen after Kangana in south Asia.
India has a better film industry because its industry existed before the partition.

Pakistan's film industry took a fresh start in 1947, and during the 1970s, we produced top class movies that were on par with Indian movies.

Back