[VIDEOS] Is RCB the most unfortunate franchise in the history of league cricket or is it just the Kohli effect holding them back?

Is RCB the most unfortunate franchise in the history of league cricket or is it just the Kohli effec

• Total voters
Kohli has been brilliant this season like he has been most seasons. He is not the reason for RCB’s poor returns. Far from it.

RCB winning the IPL will be one the greatest moments in cricket and I hope it happens during Kohli’s playing career. No player is more deserving of an IPL trophy than him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gavaskar was in no mood to let Kohli get away for speaking out against commentators, saying if his strike rate was low he deserves to be criticised.

'If you have a strike rate of 118, you come and face the first ball, and then you get out in the 14th or 15th over and your strike rate is 118 -- if you want applause for that, then that's a little bit different,' the batting great told Star Sports.
Mad respect to Gavaskar for not backing down and calling a spade, spade. Kohli needs to be cut to size. He always thought the Indian cricket is his ancestral property.

Kohli has been brilliant this season like he has been most seasons. He is not the reason for RCB’s poor returns. Far from it.

RCB winning the IPL will be one the greatest moments in cricket and I hope it happens during Kohli’s playing career. No player is more deserving of an IPL trophy than him.
Yeah, we cannot say that kohli has been the reason for their defeats. Their batting was always top class but the main thing they are lacking is Bowling I guess, They have been pretty mediocre when it comes to selecting a bowling line-up. Management needs an overhaul in RCB IMO.

Not gonna happen as long as Kohli is in the team. 15-16 seasons of evidence disagree. Really there is just overwhelming evidence to suggest that Kohli and RCB will not win IPL.

Kohli got kicked out as Indian team captain and rohit won every thing ?? (no disrespect to rohit) did not rohit loose t20, world test champion ship, asia cup and 2023 odi final with pitch doctoring( expecting AUS to bat first on slow/sluggish pitch) .
Rohit’s abysmal record as Indian cricket captain doesn’t justify Kohli’s even more abysmal records. At least Rohit won IPl and other tournaments to justify taking a punt on him. What did Kohli ever win to justify giving him longer rein as captain?

Generally RCB has lacked patience in terms of roster development and almost always never seem to have balance in their side. I believe the core problems are:

- The lack of a strong Indian core, particularly in batting. This creates a reliance on foreign players to fill out the batting. Even then I don't remember a season where RCB has had a great middle order.

- The reliance on foreign players for batting also impacts their bowling strength. Apart from 2021, when they had both Hazelwood and Hasaranga, you have always felt that RCB bowling is light. Even this season you could see this play out - because they had to play 3-4 foreigners always in their batting, they couldn't afford to have more than one foreign bowler.

- This season they had a pretty good Indian bowling core, but have suffered due to strange selection tactics. For example, they didn't play a leg spinner for many games, and the arrival of Karn Sharma immediately made their bowling more potent. Similarly Vyshak bowled well in the few chances he got, and has performed well in domestic - strangely, he has barely gotten any games this season.

It might be easy to blame Kohli for RCBs bare trophy cabinet, but for the most part he has been a solid performer across seasons albeit without consistent support.

Kohli was like a god with bat in 2016. Averaged 76 in Tests, 92 in ODIs, 106 in T20is, He made 973 runs in the IPL. That year changed his life as a cricketer. The also reached the final.

No team has bottled a final chase like this.

Gayle/KOhli 114/0 in 10.2 overs chasing 209

Essentially they needed 95 runs in 9.4 overs with following guys to come in

ABDV, KL Rahul, Watson, Sachini baby, Stuart Binny, Chris Jordan Iqbal Abdulla

They lost by 9 runs against bowling of Bhuvi, Barinder san, Ben Cutting, Fiz, Henrqiues, Bipul.
Ben cutting won man of the match for a cameo and 4 tight overs.

I think RCB should try Virat as captain again.

With such a fantastic captaincy record he might get RCB back on track.

4gsJXP7.jpeg

The things with Kohli in RCB is that the whole set up, team works to make Kohli look good. Winning tournaments or matches even is secondary many times. Kohli has had unparalleled (not the only one but very huge) say and influence in getting the players who play for RCB. The Women’s RCB team already one tournament while Kohli couldn’t do it for so many years. The common denominator in all the failures is Kohli and how he has influenced the team so far.

I am so glad Kohli got kicked out as Indian Team captain. The way Kohli plays now, there is no reason to select him for T20 World Cup except the sentiments about his past great innings. Unfortunately Father Time doesn’t wait for no one. Time to move on from Kohli for both RCB and ICT. Will they have the guts? Doubt it.

Chris Gayle himself in an interview stated that the entire RCB management focuses way too much on the A listers like Kohli, Gayle, ABD but they ignored the rest of the squad and in fact even created a haves vs haves not situation. The most successful T-20 teams have an entire unit playing together and being treated like one.

Kohli rohit jadeja- these guys are done. If I was tcb management- i would not pick kohli in the next auction. Also maybe make the chinnaswamy track very very bowler friendly rank turner or exaggerated seam deck- just to change things.

I think RCB should try Virat as captain again.

With such a fantastic captaincy record he might get RCB back on track.

4gsJXP7.jpeg
It is not that batting is the problem for RCB. It is always other departments, especially bowling. RCB needs to fix their bowling otherwise they will stay unfortunate every season, which they are not. They are just focusing on their batting and have no interest in making their bowling department better.

RCB looking in good touch at the moment but can they do the improbable and book a spot for themselves in the IPL play offs 2024.

A good fightback by RCB of late but still very slim chances of them progressing into the IPL playoffs

Rohit’s abysmal record as Indian cricket captain doesn’t justify Kohli’s even more abysmal records. At least Rohit won IPl and other tournaments to justify taking a punt on him. What did Kohli ever win to justify giving him longer rein as captain?
he was a terrific test captain with out a doubt. He only captained t20 worldcup once(2021) , one ODI worldcup and took team to semis.

Here is dhonis record
2007 t20 2009 t20 loss 2010 t20 loss 2012 t20 loss 2014 t20 loss 2016 t20 loss. 1 cup out of 6 attempts.
2011 worldcup won 2015 semis 1 cup out of 2 attempts

kohlis sample

1 semis out of 1 attempt for odi worldcup 1 cup loss out of 1 t20 attempt.

Gambhir , yuvraj stepped up for dhoni during 2007 t20 2011 worldcup. Dhoni let down kohli in chase of 240 in 2019 world cup semis so did hardik/panth in the semis knock out, specially KL RAHUL too.

awaiting 2024 t20 and kohli fireworks !

It is not that batting is the problem for RCB. It is always other departments, especially bowling. RCB needs to fix their bowling otherwise they will stay unfortunate every season, which they are not. They are just focusing on their batting and have no interest in making their bowling department better.
Lot of teams with lesser resourcess have done much better than RCB. Gujarat Titans when they played for the first time had collection of failures or undeveloped players in their side. Gill, Saha, Vijay shankar. Even David Miller was a failure for 5 years when he joined GT. Tewatia pure joureney man. Pandya. Shami, Alzaari, Ferguson. All expensive bowlers. Only worthy guy they had was Rashid khan. With that line up they reached final twice and won once. RCB had guys like Gayle, Kohli, AB, Watson, Rahul, Chahal all in the same team.

he was a terrific test captain with out a doubt. He only captained t20 worldcup once(2021) , one ODI worldcup and took team to semis.

Here is dhonis record
2007 t20 2009 t20 loss 2010 t20 loss 2012 t20 loss 2014 t20 loss 2016 t20 loss. 1 cup out of 6 attempts.
2011 worldcup won 2015 semis 1 cup out of 2 attempts

kohlis sample

1 semis out of 1 attempt for odi worldcup 1 cup loss out of 1 t20 attempt.

Gambhir , yuvraj stepped up for dhoni during 2007 t20 2011 worldcup. Dhoni let down kohli in chase of 240 in 2019 world cup semis so did hardik/panth in the semis knock out, specially KL RAHUL too.

awaiting 2024 t20 and kohli fireworks !
I wholly agree that Kohli brought positive changes. Lots of them especially in the test cricket set up, fitness culture, fast bowling culture and so on. But the point I am making is that he also won squat in terms of trophies as captain. His leadership, team selection, playing XIs were simply bereft of logic many times. He was especially bad in shorter formats. He should not have been given the long rein he had as captain. Look even now he was having a go at Gavaskar for pointing out his slow innings as if he is above criticism. That tells a lot about how he was when he the most powerful captain of Indian team. Did as he pleased without any trophy to show for it.

Anyway, if Kohli helps India win the T20 WC, I will be most pleased. But given the history of so many years, I am not holding my breath. He will fizzle as usual when the time comes.

Lot of teams with lesser resourcess have done much better than RCB. Gujarat Titans when they played for the first time had collection of failures or undeveloped players in their side. Gill, Saha, Vijay shankar. Even David Miller was a failure for 5 years when he joined GT. Tewatia pure joureney man. Pandya. Shami, Alzaari, Ferguson. All expensive bowlers. Only worthy guy they had was Rashid khan. With that line up they reached final twice and won once. RCB had guys like Gayle, Kohli, AB, Watson, Rahul, Chahal all in the same team.
But they don't have the bowling power to defend the total in case they bat first and score some good runs. RCB always had a mediocre bowling attack, probably the main cause of their defeats.

They might have won 4 games back to back but they have done it because their batting was good otherwise defeat was on cards if they had to reply 100% on their bowling.

I wholly agree that Kohli brought positive changes. Lots of them especially in the test cricket set up, fitness culture, fast bowling culture and so on. But the point I am making is that he also won squat in terms of trophies as captain. His leadership, team selection, playing XIs were simply bereft of logic many times. He was especially bad in shorter formats. He should not have been given the long rein he had as captain. Look even now he was having a go at Gavaskar for pointing out his slow innings as if he is above criticism. That tells a lot about how he was when he the most powerful captain of Indian team. Did as he pleased without any trophy to show for it.

Anyway, if Kohli helps India win the T20 WC, I will be most pleased. But given the history of so many years, I am not holding my breath. He will fizzle as usual when the time comes.
did he fizzle in 2014 t20 semins, 2016 t20 semis against WI/ t20 virtual quarter final against AUS ? did he fizzle in 2023 ODI worldcup semis ? was he the second contributor in 2023 final? did he not score in 2013 champions trophy final? I feel, he is a clutch player ahead of sachin in crucial games, temperamentally better and a far better captain. Definetly looks pale in comparison to dhoni in limited overs but a far greater test captain than Dhoni. Overall mixed bag !

Kohli has an aussie way of approaching things and is not a great man manager. Great players do not need to make great captains. Kohli was under the shadow of dhoni as captain. Wasim akram would never have been a captain or enforced himself so long imran khan was in the team. 2017, kohli got the reins but dhoni was calling the shots.

why are you ignoring the lack of contributions from team members in 2019 crucial semi final against newzelands. Dhoni, pant, hardik, KL rahul all failed to step up. Captain looks bad when the team fails. whats dhoni with out yuvraj and gambhir stepping up in t20 2007 world cup ? or 2011 world cup ???????

Kohli could not get the best out of team or the players failed under preassure which makes him look worse than kohli is?

They have been unlucky, however, luck isn’t the main reason for their lack of success.

I do wish Kohli wins an IPL trophy before he retires. But it’s looking grim.

They have been unlucky, however, luck isn’t the main reason for their lack of success.

I do wish Kohli wins an IPL trophy before he retires. But it’s looking grim.
He has good 4-5 years of IPL. He led RCB to IPL final in 2016, missed by a whisker.
RCB lost by 9 runs chasing 209 against SRH

Royal Challengers Bangalore (T: 209 runs from 20 ovs)
BATTING RBM4s6sSR
Chris Gayle c Bipul Sharma b Cutting76385348200.00
Virat Kohli (c)b Sran54356352154.28
AB de Villiers c Henriques b Bipul Sharma56150083.33
KL Rahul †b Cutting1191610122.22
Shane Watson c Henriques b Mustafizur Rahman1191601122.22
Sachin Baby not out18102811180.00
Stuart Binny run out (Hooda/†Ojha)971001128.57
Chris Jordan run out (†Ojha)3470075.00
Iqbal Abdulla not out42310200.00
Extras(lb 5, w 4)9
TOTAL20 Ov (RR: 10.00)200/7

He has good 4-5 years of IPL. He led RCB to IPL final in 2016, missed by a whisker.
RCB lost by 9 runs chasing 209 against SRH

Royal Challengers Bangalore (T: 209 runs from 20 ovs)
BATTINGRBM4s6sSR
Chris Gaylec Bipul Sharma b Cutting76385348200.00
Virat Kohli (c)b Sran54356352154.28
AB de Villiersc Henriques b Bipul Sharma56150083.33
KL Rahul †b Cutting1191610122.22
Shane Watsonc Henriques b Mustafizur Rahman1191601122.22
Sachin Babynot out18102811180.00
Stuart Binnyrun out (Hooda/†Ojha)971001128.57
Chris Jordanrun out (†Ojha)3470075.00
Iqbal Abdullanot out42310200.00
Extras(lb 5, w 4)9
TOTAL20 Ov (RR: 10.00)200/7

I know, I don’t watch IPL nowadays, however, as a fan I would still like him to retire with at least one IPL trophy.

I know, I don’t watch IPL nowadays, however, as a fan I would still like him to retire with at least one IPL trophy.
why do you think, the chances are slim? If RCB manages to finish 1 or 2 in upcoming seasons, they have two shots at playing the finals, so very likely.

why do you think, the chances are slim? If RCB manages to finish 1 or 2 in upcoming seasons, they have two shots at playing the finals, so very likely.

Neither History nor age is on their side.

A great man once said “Sports is a young man’s game”

Kohli probably has 2 more years after that will be a slow and painful decline.

did he fizzle in 2014 t20 semins, 2016 t20 semis against WI/ t20 virtual quarter final against AUS ? did he fizzle in 2023 ODI worldcup semis ? was he the second contributor in 2023 final? did he not score in 2013 champions trophy final? I feel, he is a clutch player ahead of sachin in crucial games, temperamentally better and a far better captain. Definetly looks pale in comparison to dhoni in limited overs but a far greater test captain than Dhoni. Overall mixed bag !

Kohli has an aussie way of approaching things and is not a great man manager. Great players do not need to make great captains. Kohli was under the shadow of dhoni as captain. Wasim akram would never have been a captain or enforced himself so long imran khan was in the team. 2017, kohli got the reins but dhoni was calling the shots.

why are you ignoring the lack of contributions from team members in 2019 crucial semi final against newzelands. Dhoni, pant, hardik, KL rahul all failed to step up. Captain looks bad when the team fails. whats dhoni with out yuvraj and gambhir stepping up in t20 2007 world cup ? or 2011 world cup ???????

Kohli could not get the best out of team or the players failed under preassure which makes him look worse than kohli is?
Let’s agree to disagree bro. In my book, Kohli shouldn’t be be playing T20. Obviously, you think Kohli is a clutch player. Let’s see what he does in the World Cup. As an Indian fan, I hope he delivers to be honest.

Prediction: Kohli will top scorer in the World Cup with a middling strike rate and India will not win the World Cup. Same as what is happening in IPL right now. Dude never plays for the team notwithstanding all his claims of not caring for such things at this age now.

Let’s agree to disagree bro. In my book, Kohli shouldn’t be be playing T20. Obviously, you think Kohli is a clutch player. Let’s see what he does in the World Cup. As an Indian fan, I hope he delivers to be honest.
He is probably the best player statistically in world T20 history. He can score runs. But T20 is not about individuals accumulating runs anymore. It is a collection of individuals firing on all cylinders that is more deadly than one guy batting half the overs.

One player can't have such a negative effect on the team especially if he is contributing so well with bat.

Ultimately, trophies are won if you win games on trott and for that to happen, you need to click as a collective unit.

Punjab and Delhi haven't won any title either. So, it is not down to individuals but the whole unit.

RCB is back on track but the margin of error is very low for them now. Any single defeat and they are out of the contest.

tEuPTk9.jpeg

'Lot of Work Has Gone Behind The Scenes': Captain Faf du Plessis Hopes 'Bold RCB' to Keep Improving​

Royal Challengers Bengaluru managed to make it five wins on the trot after their clinical victory over Delhi Capitals by 47 runs at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru on Sunday.

RCB skipper Faf du Plessis was pleased with the performances and his side’s ability to bounce back after the disastrous start to the season as they now find themselves in contention for a spot in the playoffs.

“Brilliant, we put in some good performances and pleased. 1st half of the season, things didn’t quite come together and from that batting perspective and bowling perspective we have been able to put it together now,” Du Plessis said at the post-match presentation ceremony.

While it is not common to see left-arm orthodox spinners go up against left-handed batters, the skipper felt that the ball was turning a bit and they wanted to take the chance against David Warner which then resulted in the wicket.

“Sometimes people talk about match-ups and all, but as a left-hander with the ball spinning in, you hope that works out sometimes and he’s (Swapnil) done brilliantly for us,” he commented.

Reflecting on the last few runs of games, the captain was pretty happy with the bowling attack coming to form and sees a lot of options on the table for him to turn to when needed which is a positive.

He said, “A lot of work has gone behind the scenes, and we are getting it right. I feel there is a lot more variety in our bowling now and Yash (Dayal) and Lockie (Ferguson) have been exceptional in the last few games.”

Du Plessis concluded by stating his intent to see his side play a bold brand of cricket and hopes to see the performances continue on for the Bengaluru-based unit.

“We want to play a style of cricket, to be bold, put some performances together and keep going,” he concluded.

RCB next have a home game against defending champions Chennai Super Kings which will be their final league-stage match of the season.

Now there is new theme "Go Bold" for RCB. First time KOhli in 8 years is trying to play expansive strokes. I don't think even at his peak he attempted hitting six in the first ball. The team has embraced the philosophy. Everyone has high strike rate. Think about it. Kohli is 6th or so within his team in terms of strike rate. That is over 150. They are adopting KKR/SRH style of attacking.

RCB is back on track but the margin of error is very low for them now. Any single defeat and they are out of the contest.

tEuPTk9.jpeg
Kohli needed another guy to step up on the other end & finally Patidar came to the party. Also finally their bowling is doing relatively better (still an atrocious bowling unit though)

Another team which needs a complete overhaul along with MI.

The way RCB made a comeback is just remarkable.

From here on if they qualify for the playoffs, I am sure they will win the trophy.

RCB just has to beat CSK by a good margin and they can go past CSK in the table. It is getting pretty interesting now.

RCB just has to beat CSK by a good margin and they can go past CSK in the table. It is getting pretty interesting now.
Usually Dhoni's XI always got the better of RCB except a few times. But this time CSK has lost several main bowlers. Also RCB is unusually in form.

Usually Dhoni's XI always got the better of RCB except a few times. But this time CSK has lost several main bowlers. Also RCB is unusually in form.
Yeah, CSK is missing their key bowlers now and they looked quite weak in bowling department but RCB's form has been phenomenal am. They have somehow found the mantra of winning games and I am sure, RCB vs CSK is going to be one hell of a game with qualification on the line.

Everything is going RCB's way except the RAIN

- RCB won 5 consecutive matches
- GT got Eliminated due to Rain
- DC beat LSG

On 18th May every RCB fan will sing - Rain Rain Go Away Come Again Another Day :D

If RCB can crush CSK in a knockout game where they have to win by a margin,they can do it against SRH and then KKR also.

Damn, never had this happened in RCB's history. They are looking hot even though they end up at 4th place.

Back