Is Rohit Sharma finished or has he still something left in the tank?

Is Rohit Sharma finished as an explosive batter outside powerplay?

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
In the last four editions (2020-2023), Rohit aggregated 67.3 percent (886) of his runs (1313) in the Powerplay at an average of 24.31 and strike rate of 127.59. In the 55 innings during this period, Rohit failed to last the first six overs a whopping 32 times – the most among all openers. Last year, Rohit entered the middle overs only five times in 16 innings.

In seven matches this season, the 36-year-old has scored at an unprecedented strike rate of 178.21 in the Powerplay, falling only twice while aggregating 180 runs in the phase.

But the big tragedy is that outside powerplay he is even worse than Ashwin. So is the "Hitman" finished now as a powerplay bully???

If we see, yes, even though he scored a century, he couldn't win the game

The job of an opener in t20s is to make use of the powerplay and get the team off to a flyer, not stick around for a 60 ball 90 :vk1:babarazam:rizwan
But Rohit is stucking there too of late and he no way is better than Babar on par could be the decent term but still arguable.

_20240427_211725.JPG

Also Rohit in last two innings 6(5) vs PBKS and 8(8) vs DC yesterday and Babar made scintillating 69(44) today against NZ.

But Rohit is stucking there too of late and he no way is better than Babar on par could be the decent term but still arguable.

View attachment 143466

Also Rohit in last two innings 6(5) vs PBKS and 8(8) vs DC yesterday and Babar made scintillating 69(44) today against NZ.
Rohit is far better than babar, absolutely 0 debate here. Babar bats at a 120ish strike rate in the powerplay, which is absolutely terrible.

A knock against a C team when the series was already lost means zilch

Rohit is far better than babar, absolutely 0 debate here. Babar bats at a 120ish strike rate in the powerplay, which is absolutely terrible.

A knock against a C team when the series was already lost means zilch
I believe India has better options in shape of Abhishek Sharma and Jaiswal as openers but just because Rohit's captaincy skill i think team India needs him and on Babar he has shown great improvement today. Only if he continues with this INTENT then he is a force to reckon with.

It's time guys like rohit kohli klrahul jadeja pandya are chucked out of white ball cricket. Time to inject some younger players. These guys have had cracks at multiple icc events. Would probably keep kohli for odis ss he has the perfect run a ball odi template and a good fielder as well

I believe India has better options in shape of Abhishek Sharma and Jaiswal as openers but just because Rohit's captaincy skill i think team India needs him and on Babar he has shown great improvement today. Only if he continues with this INTENT then he is a force to reckon with.
Yes rohit needs to be kicked out of the t20 team, shouldnt be on the plane to america

Finished. Can show flashes of brilliance. But very inconsistent and too slow in the power play.

He comes good once every 4 or 6 innings.

Lots of Indian fans do not like Rohit being the captain for the upcoming world cup. Rohit's form in IPL is a bit concerning as there are other youngsters who out performed Rohit by miles. I think Rohit is done after this world up.

Rohit the so called "hitman" is finished now, just wonder how will he captain team India.

He is finished. He is pushing 38 now. He is good enough to play ODI's and may be a few more Tests. But T20 is not his strong point. Too slow and too inconsistent. Pretty horrendous to be honesy.

Rohit is the name of an era that will be remembered forever... nobody can step into his shoes

I have been a fan of Rohit for longest time. I really appreciated his selfless batting in the ODI WC when he walked the talk of being aggressive from ball one. What he did in WC was what a great leader should - walk the talk with selfless batting. But as far as T20 World Cup goes, he doesn’t deserve a spot in the team. IPL is just another piece of evidence which shows that Rohit is past his prime now.

I feel like rohit would have retired had he won the 2023 wc.

I think he's trying to push to 2027 as one last attempt.

Many believe he underperformed deliberately to let Pandya down but the reality is he isn't hitman anymore.

I feel like rohit would have retired had he won the 2023 wc.

I think he's trying to push to 2027 as one last attempt.
i dont think that he will make it to the 2027 WC maybe after this T20 world cup he will announce his retirement.

i dont think that he will make it to the 2027 WC maybe after this T20 world cup he will announce his retirement.
He provs wants one victory, he's trying to either win this cup and if he doesn't he'll take it to 2025 ct and who knows we'll see.

2023 is a tragedy, but I had a feeling Australia would win. As soon as the maxwell innings happened and with the announcement that Travis head would be returning in the semi's I knew They'd win

Australia is a different beast when it reaches the final, Specially Cummings, Travis and maxwell.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is not fit. Very unfit. So he come in and show some intent and gets out before powerplay. He can't play all 20 overs by takiing quick singles. He is okay in Tests as he doesn't take quick singles there.

I think this might be the last ICC event for him. He needs to let go now. I think it is his ego of winning a world cup that is not letting him go peacefully. Time to put down his sword and make way for the young guns India has.

I think this might be the last ICC event for him. He needs to let go now. I think it is his ego of winning a world cup that is not letting him go peacefully. Time to put down his sword and make way for the young guns India has.
Tbf to him, He was a gun captain. I'd be frustrated if I was him. Infact he was the only one who kicked off in the final.

Despite his age and not being able to play long innings, rohit was consistently able to bat from overs 1-10 and always left India at 80-1 by the time he departed. That's why batting wise India won every game as kohli can stat pad now.

The problem is, Australian bowlers were too good that day and rohit had to encounter the one person who's even better at playing the PP them he is, Travis head lol.

It was insanely unlucky fir him the way KL Rahul played, the way Australia bowled and had they dismissed Travis head, they'd likely win cause maxwell would struggle on that pitch, Labu was a non factor.

Travis was the wall but Travis is probably the greatest Australian opener ever, imo he's probs superior to gilchrist even. Granted gilchrist faced more quality bowlers and played in a bowling friendly era.

Tbf to him, He was a gun captain. I'd be frustrated if I was him. Infact he was the only one who kicked off in the final.

Despite his age and not being able to play long innings, rohit was consistently able to bat from overs 1-10 and always left India at 80-1 by the time he departed. That's why batting wise India won every game as kohli can stat pad now.

The problem is, Australian bowlers were too good that day and rohit had to encounter the one person who's even better at playing the PP them he is, Travis head lol.

It was insanely unlucky fir him the way KL Rahul played, the way Australia bowled and had they dismissed Travis head, they'd likely win cause maxwell would struggle on that pitch, Labu was a non factor.

Travis was the wall but Travis is probably the greatest Australian opener ever, imo he's probs superior to gilchrist even. Granted gilchrist faced more quality bowlers and played in a bowling friendly era.

They dropped Warner first over looking at each in the slip. I knew the signs were not good. Then Head repeatedly edged the ball to slips. Shockingly ROhit did not have one slip. As the light started taking effect pitch became a batting beauty. India was one wicket away from panicking the Aussies. Having said that INdia was 40 runs short on that pitch.

They dropped Warner first over looking at each in the slip. I knew the signs were not good. Then Head repeatedly edged the ball to slips. Shockingly ROhit did not have one slip. As the light started taking effect pitch became a batting beauty. India was one wicket away from panicking the Aussies. Having said that INdia was 40 runs short on that pitch.
Those edges by head were deliberately due to lack of first slip, as for Warner, yes I agree, but it wasn't really a drop.

He edged it and it went straight inbetween 2nd and 3rd slip however yes Gill should have been more alert, had he been alert he'd have taken it

But as long as Travis head was their no shot.

As for india's batting, Blame KL Rahul, but tbf India was in a tough position when they were 81- 3 and then kohli fell after a few overs.

India's biggest issue in the wc was their tail was pathetic, unlike Australia where Cummings showed he can be a wall against Afghanistan, while maxwell can do his thing.

Throughout the tournament the tail never got exposed. As soon as Rahul fell and it was down to sky and Jadeja, all Australia needed was one wicket, which would have happened as these 2 needed to play a blast fire due to how bad Rahul played.

No 8, no 9, no 10 and no 11 were walking wickets. As soon as Australia breached no 8, their was no chance of those extra being scored. In fact credit to India for taking them to 240, as logically 216 is where everyone shpuld have fallen.

Too many bad performances has forced MI to drop Rohit today. Is it a sign for things to come in future in Internationals for Rohit?

Rohit Sharma has been dismissed by Sunil Narine for the 8th time. It is most dismissal for a batter against a bowler in IPL history.

Most dismissals against a bowler in IPL:

8 - Rohit Sharma vs Sunil Narine (20 inns)
7 - MS Dhoni vs Zaheer Khan (11 inns)
7 - Ambati Rayudu vs Mohit Sharma (14 inns)
7 - Rishabh Pant vs Jasprit Bumrah (14 inns)

Rohit Sharma has been dismissed by Sunil Narine for the 8th time. It is most dismissal for a batter against a bowler in IPL history.

Most dismissals against a bowler in IPL:

8 - Rohit Sharma vs Sunil Narine (20 inns)
7 - MS Dhoni vs Zaheer Khan (11 inns)
7 - Ambati Rayudu vs Mohit Sharma (14 inns)
7 - Rishabh Pant vs Jasprit Bumrah (14 inns)
Shaheen will takeover from Sunil very soon :ROFLMAO:

Rohit is done. Its a shame he is in the T20 team let alone as captain. Does not deserve a place in the squad. His time has come and gone. 2023 ODI WC should've been his final opportunity.

Rohit is blocking many upcoming batsmen who are much better than him both batting wise and fitness wise.

Rohit is done. Its a shame he is in the T20 team let alone as captain. Does not deserve a place in the squad. His time has come and gone. 2023 ODI WC should've been his final opportunity.

Rohit is blocking many upcoming batsmen who are much better than him both batting wise and fitness wise.
Lets hope PCT treat him the same way as Narine.

Rohit Sharma failed again yesterday against SRH after making a single digit score of 4(5). So has team India made the right decision by selecting him as captain

Tank is empty but the tummy is full.

Full of fat.

Easy walking wicket for SSA.

SSA=1 ; NoHit=0

:inti

Former Australia captain Michael Clarke does not read much into Rohit Sharma's string of poor scores. Clarke told while talking on local Indian sports channel:

“Rohit, being the wise judge of his own performances, will undoubtedly be disappointed, especially considering his strong start. In my view, he might be feeling a bit fatigued as well.”

“A break to freshen up could do wonders for him, but as the Indian captain and a key player for Mumbai Indians, you're not getting a break. He's going to have to find form.”

Rohit never did well in the IPL. It may surprise many. It is a fact. He never had a box office year. His play off records are terrible. Once he lost his captaincy people are focusing on his batting stat. Fact is , it was always bad.

Rohit is done in t20. Disgrace that he is the captain for ind t20wc. And with his fellow senior tyk tuk players kohli jadeja pandya- they will put the pressure on jaiswal sky dube to score fast and make them the scapegoats for not scoring. Rinse and repeat for CT 2025.. even klrahul will be back for CT 2025.

He is on a sharp decline now... i think he sould call his retirement just after this world cup.

Rohit is not finished by yeah age is catching up to him. This might be his last T20 World Cup and the Champions trophy might be his final ODI event.

TBH, India has much better replacement for him and Kohli atm so they are not worried at all even if they both retire tomorrow.

Rohit Sharma has not exactly set the IPL on fire last 10 years. He is totally overhyped in T20 cricket. But dare Gavaskar and the seniors say a word against him? He gets away with a lot

a) because of the Mumbai-South Indian lobby

b) because he is not Kohli.

Shameful the way he played today in a no-pressure match. But notice nobody talking about his strike rate?
He must have some powerful backing.

Any other player would have been dropped. He is playing even in inconsequential games. He should take rest and relax and get himself mentally sorted, focus on fitness etc. Stay away from batting for a week atleast.

Rohit Sharma has not exactly set the IPL on fire last 10 years. He is totally overhyped in T20 cricket. But dare Gavaskar and the seniors say a word against him? He gets away with a lot

a) because of the Mumbai-South Indian lobby

b) because he is not Kohli.
Lol what South Indian lobby? If there's such lobby then Sanju & Tamil players would've got plenty of chances in Indian team..

Though I agree he didn't criticised much compared to Kohli & KL Rahul..

Lol what South Indian lobby? If there's such lobby then Sanju & Tamil players would've got plenty of chances in Indian team..

Though I agree he didn't criticised much compared to Kohli & KL Rahul..
Because he plays that sad card after losing. Lost the 23 odi wc final with his defensive field settings. And has been poor in t20s for a long long time. Below average t20 fielder. Don't know how he is the captain for ind t20 team, he doesn't even deserve a place in the team as a batsman..

What an embarrassing season. I don't think Rohit ever do well in the iPL in any season. Mostly average. Lot of below average seasons. ONly because he was the captain he played without scrutiny.

I think rohits avg was 25.with sr 125 for last 5 years in ipl.If u include this year stats( 1 hundred for a loosing cause, 330 runs in 13 matches) again its same data.with out including the lone century forthis year, its disaster. Only in India,a non playing senior can occupy a performer role and play as captain with out any review.

Rohit is finished. I knew that when I noticed he was not able to bat outside of PP in the WC 23.
A great white ball player nonetheless

What an embarrassing season. I don't think Rohit ever do well in the iPL in any season. Mostly average. Lot of below average seasons. ONly because he was the captain he played without scrutiny.
Dhoni & Rohit are 2 of the most privileged players in Indian cricket. Just because everybody likes them and they were supposed to be good captains, they got away with anything.

Anyways I doubt Rohit Sharma will be with MI next season. The MI mgmt & Rohit both seem to be done with each other.

Rohit is finished. I knew that when I noticed he was not able to bat outside of PP in the WC 23.
A great white ball player nonetheless
He was still the best PP player of 2023. Shows his class.

The boys in your Pfp, what's their class?

Dhoni & Rohit are 2 of the most privileged players in Indian cricket. Just because everybody likes them and they were supposed to be good captains, they got away with anything.

Anyways I doubt Rohit Sharma will be with MI next season. The MI mgmt & Rohit both seem to be done with each other.
MI need to get rid of rohit & pandya and start afresh. Selectors need to show guts and drop these guys for good for t20s- rohit kohli pandya jadeja

MI need to get rid of rohit & pandya and start afresh. Selectors need to show guts and drop these guys for good for t20s- rohit kohli pandya jadeja
MI needs to revamp the whole team- I cannot think anybody should be retained except Bumrah, Surya & maybe Tilak Verma. They have been bowling trash for ages.

I think Sharma's time in international cricket is up. He should quit after the WC. Jaiswal and Gill take over the opening in tests (ODI's don't matter anymore!) with a new batter taking over number 3. That Sai Kishore kid looks very promising. Seems to have the temperament. Perhaps there is another candidate for the no.3 spot.

I think he can play the IPL for another season or two. But needs a change of scenery. Needs a new team. I am going to go left field and say CSK will get him to replace the outgoing Dhoni.

Rohit always gets away with it because of Mumbai lobby. He was also not criticised enough for the dumb shot he played in World Cup final.

It's a shame that our t20 team is filled with MI players, a team which is languishing at the bottom of the points table.

The only question is if Shaheen Afridi buries him or Mohammad Amir. The next world cup will be his retirement.

Pakistan and India played once or twice a year. As a result, there are a lot of exaggerations associated to the individual battles within those games.

Shaheen got Indian batsmen out a couple of times and suddenly, they could not play him. Then Shaheen got demolished by them a couple of times and suddenly, they figured him out.

Both were stupid hot takes that don’t mean anything. When top players compete, no one gets figured out. It depends on who is better on the day.

Rohit is as likely to get out to Shaheen as he is to score big runs against him. This applies to Rohit vs any other top bowler.

If Pakistan and India were playing each other regularly like other teams do, no one would focus so much on individual battles. Both players would have their moments.

However, Amir in 2024 doesn’t enter the discussion. No one invited him. He was finished years ago and based on his current level, no serious team would consider him for selection.

He shouldn’t be playing for Pakistan either. He finished outside the top 10 wicket takers in the PSL and got out bowled by several local bowlers who are not even on PCB’s radar right now.

His selection was a slap in the face of merit because PCB is stuck in a past that they wish to recreate, but those days are long gone.

One is failing to perform on the flattest wickets against IPL bowlers.

Rohit's reflexes are slowing down. He's on his last legs. I suspect this will be his last T20I tournament. Don't expect too many runs from him.

One is failing to perform on the flattest wickets against IPL bowlers.

Rohit's reflexes are slowing down. He's on his last legs. I suspect this will be his last T20I tournament. Don't expect too many runs from him.
Rohit Sharma has not uprooted any trees in the IPL for a long time. I think he had pretty ordinary tournaments even when he was in his peak in international cricket.

Rohit is a different player when he pulls up the Indian jersey. Not that he choose to not perform in IPL, but playing for India brings the best out of him.

It wouldn’t be surprising to see that he fares much better in the T20 World Cup than he has in the ongoing IPL.

Speaking at an event, India captain Rohit Sharma takes emotional career dive:

"The journey has been wonderful, it has been 17 years; I still hope to play a few more years as well & make an impact in World cricket."

"When I took over as India Captain, I just wanted everyone to drive in one direction that's how team sport should be played, it's not about personal milestones & personal stats & goals, it is about what all 11 of us can bring to the table & win the trophy."

Rohit Sharma has 35 international centuries after the age of 30, which is the joint highest by any batter alongside Sachin Tendulkar

It shows the philosophy that a player gets refined after the age of 30.

Rohit Sharma has 35 international centuries after the age of 30, which is the joint highest by any batter alongside Sachin Tendulkar

It shows the philosophy that a player gets refined after the age of 30.
he started his career as a lower order batter now see where he is standing right now.

In the last four editions (2020-2023), Rohit aggregated 67.3 percent (886) of his runs (1313) in the Powerplay at an average of 24.31 and strike rate of 127.59. In the 55 innings during this period, Rohit failed to last the first six overs a whopping 32 times – the most among all openers. Last year, Rohit entered the middle overs only five times in 16 innings.

In seven matches this season, the 36-year-old has scored at an unprecedented strike rate of 178.21 in the Powerplay, falling only twice while aggregating 180 runs in the phase.

But the big tragedy is that outside powerplay he is even worse than Ashwin. So is the "Hitman" finished now as a powerplay bully???
Only thing can finish now is vada pav

He would be great finisher though. Great at finishing India's chance of winning any silverware. Lel

I always found him overrated tbh. Stats. Stats can be misleading.

His performances were never good outside india in tests for the most part

In odi he always choked in crucial games

One time 2 times ok. 3 times ok. But it's a trend. In t20 and odi he has failed multiple times.

Rohit already said this is his last T20 WC and if he’s not going to be playing in the WC then he’s not going to be playing T20 internationals.
After this WC both Rohit and Kohli will retire from the format. Jadeja, however, will need to be pushed out.

Rohit already said this is his last T20 WC and if he’s not going to be playing in the WC then he’s not going to be playing T20 internationals.
After this WC both Rohit and Kohli will retire from the format. Jadeja, however, will need to be pushed out.
India might win a icc event after these overrated stat paddees are gone.

Rohit had a good career, but he is more of a dead weight now considering India has better options to replace him. But BCCI chose him to captain the side for the final time so he could win it, but don't think he will. He will go without this trophy as well.

Back