Is the correct word 'bahir' or 'bahar' ?..plz end my misery!

Aly

Local Club Regular
Runs
First thing first, please forgive me if you find the question too simplistic to start a thread for or that it should've been started in the language forum but the thing is that it has irritated me so much that I couldn't help asking it here!

So since when the urdu word 'bahar' ( outside, out etc ) became 'bahir' ?

I ask this because more and more people in Pakistan have started pronouncing 'bahar' as 'bahir' while in most of the Urdu speaking areas like karachi as well as in many parts of India, it is still pronounced as 'bahar'.
in fact I even remember Salman Khan taking Mickey out of Veena Malik for pronouncing the word as 'bahir' in the last season of bigger boss 5

Now ironically speaking one can't even think of the word 'bahar' as being mispronounced by the karachites/ Urdu speaking community since those who are aware of their culture know it very well that if anything they have this irritating tendency of unnecessarily putting 'i' / ' e' ( zayr) sound in words I.e 'tabil' for table, 'cabil' for kable, 'sevin' for seven, 'iskool' for school, etc

Damn, I am confused, please help me solve this irritating bahiiiiiiiiir sound!

Last edited:
People who are new to urdu or money often say Bahiiir :yk

Haha I used to say patao instead of batao...still can't shake the habit :amir

okay I noticed that I say Bahir my whole family say bahir hec I've never come across anyone saying bahar. But it's not too much of a i it's more like baher.

First thing first, please forgive me if you find the question too simplistic to start a thread for or that it should've been started in the language forum but the thing is that it has irritated me so much that I couldn't help asking it here!

So since when the urdu word 'bahar' ( outside, out etc ) became 'bahir' ?

I ask this because more and more people in Pakistan have started pronouncing 'bahar' as 'bahir' while in most of the Urdu speaking areas like karachi as well as in many parts of India, it is still pronounced as 'bahar'.
in fact I even remember Salman Khan taking Mickey out of Veena Malik for pronouncing the word as 'bahir' in the last season of bigger boss 5

Now ironically speaking one can't even think of the word 'bahar' as being mispronounced by the karachites/ Urdu speaking community since those who are aware of their culture know it very well that if anything they have this irritating tendency of unnecessarily putting 'i' / ' e' ( zayr) sound in words I.e 'tabil' for table, 'cabil' for kable, 'sevin' for seven, 'iskool' for school, etc

Damn, I am confused, please help me solve this irritating bahiiiiiiiiir sound!

Asal mein "bahar" hota hai.

Lo ab hal kar di tumhari mushkil, ab apne dimaag se yeh tension bahiirr nikal phainko :p

during conversations i say bahar. however on reading text i pronounce it as bahir. dont know why

There is no need to create the fuss about two words. Both are correct, as it all depends on the writing style.

Back