is this bad for kookaburra or good for SG

Hammermellet

Debutant
Runs
So just got the 2012 Kookaburra biggest kahuna in my hands and was horribly disappointed. theyve gone and taken the previously great design and absolutely raped it, giving it a completely flat face ( E41, SG, laver ultra etc ). i hate the look of it, and those other bats.

Now granted thats a personal opinion and has no effect on bat performance, but that brings me to my topic headline.

as i was looking at the new 2012 biggest kahuna ( stopping myself from throwing up on my computer ) something struck me. its looks like a bat ive just recently reviewed. so went through my bats and found it.

the SG VS 319 ultimate.

then remembered just the other day i did the review on the new Kahuna T20 and that as well is an exact replica of the SG stud T11i cricket bat.

now we all know SG makes Kookaburra’s bats for them but, previously i would of held kookaburra to a higher standard than SG, whereas in actual fact all they are doing is taking SG bats and putting kookaburra stickers on them, or vica versa.

so is kookaburra going down the same path as slazenger where their products will as well be only classified as a average indian brand or is SG going to be the big winner in this as people will start seeing them as a more reputable brand.

please remember these are all just my opinions…

thx.

p.s. guess i should grab my kahuna 1000′s and see which SG bat they are now as well right?

Have you got any pics or videos ?

The last 2 Kookaburra bats I have bought (Ice and Beast) I was really disappointed with the performance of the bats. They were very hard pressed bats - when they did start to open up they split and cracked very easily.
They have good softs but I will not buy another Kookaburra bat again.

Even I bought a kookaburra blade runner. I didn't liked the bat the ping was horrible and also the performance was not that good.I will never buy a kookaburra.

a6cd0ba1-8445-0441.jpg

a6cd0ba1-8454-87a7.jpg

a6cd0ba1-8464-3053.jpg

a6cd0ba1-8474-7d38.jpg

a6cd0ba1-8483-b86b.jpg

Please join in the conversation on the kookaburra Facebook page

Jason....are you saying that SG bats are made of bad and sub-standard willow?

good post - interesting observations. i think its good for SG really!

Not great of Kook to have SG produce like for like copies of their own bats. This just reaffirms the "Kook is a stickered up SG" mentality.

no i never once made that statement, in fact SG bats are under rated.

The Title kinda suggests that SG is below par and Kookaburra are superior...

How about the feel, pickup, ping etc? Are they the same too? Surely they must be using a different willow...and Kookaburra have always been particular abt their range and detail the structure of each bat..does that match with what they have advertised in 2012?

I think what some of us are upset about is the fact that Kook has shown no interest at innovation. Even Adidas bats are made by SG but they at least have some distinct style. Kooks are just re-stickered SGs; kind of disappointing really.

The Title kinda suggests that SG is below par and Kookaburra are superior...

How about the feel, pickup, ping etc? Are they the same too? Surely they must be using a different willow...and Kookaburra have always been particular abt their range and detail the structure of each bat..does that match with what they have advertised in 2012?

i think the fact that some of my SG bats this year came with kookaburra toe guards says a lot.

closely examining the biggest kahuna ( spelled Biggast kahuna on label underneath grip . seriously ) the two bat handles are exactly the same. the willow on the biggest kahuna whilst the grains are slightly closer to each other there are two blemishes on the face which the SG does not have.

the only other difference is two minor ones. the willow on the kahuna is lighter ( suggesting possible bleaching ) and the spine is sharper. more like a knife edge where the SG has been blunted just slightly.

besides that the bats are exactly the same, pickup the same, ping the same etc.

i think the fact that some of my SG bats this year came with kookaburra toe guards says a lot.

closely examining the biggest kahuna ( spelled Biggast kahuna on label underneath grip . seriously ) the two bat handles are exactly the same. the willow on the biggest kahuna whilst the grains are slightly closer to each other there are two blemishes on the face which the SG does not have.

the only other difference is two minor ones. the willow on the kahuna is lighter ( suggesting possible bleaching ) and the spine is sharper. more like a knife edge where the SG has been blunted just slightly.

besides that the bats are exactly the same, pickup the same, ping the same etc.

You had me at 'Biggast Kahuna' :D....

I guess it all comes down to what Kookaburra stood for in the past in the eyes of the cricketers...and what the apparent change has done to it... basically...its still good but not Koookaburra good..

Thanks Jason...the reason I asked all the questions is cos u r one of the popular bat reviewers on-line...and with great power comes great responsibility ;)

Ouch, flat faces? I thought batmakers were geared towards slightly rounded these days.

Back