Is this India's best ever ODI bowling attack?

One thing I forgot when I was comparing them to other ATG bowling lineups is that this is still their home conditions. Will this trio do good in the 2025 CT and 2027 WC?

The ATG bowling lineups away from home and still dominated.

One thing I forgot when I was comparing them to other ATG bowling lineups is that this is still their home conditions. Will this trio do good in the 2025 CT and 2027 WC?

The ATG bowling lineups away from home and still dominated.
This pace attack will rock in foreign conditions. Spinners I'm not sure. Jadeja has a decent record abroad though. Wrist spinners can turn the ball on any surface and Kuldeep is yet to be tested on foreign soil after the change in his bowling.

In that case Sreesanth is one the greatest bowlers from Asia having won the 2011 world cup and 2007 T20 WC.
They need to maintain his sub 25 average and help india win the world cup in the case of bumrah and shami for example.

Sreesanth averaged 35 pr something in odi.

Mcgratj averaged 23
Lee 23 in odi too

Last edited by a moderator:
Again straw man logic. I knew someone would come up with this stupid fallacy. They need to maintain his sub 25 average and help india win the world cup in the case of bumrah and shami for example.

Sreesanth averaged 35 pr something in odi. Don't be an idiot.

Mcgratj averaged 23
Lee 23 in odi too
There are only two gun bowlers in that Aussie team. Mc Grath and Warne. The others like lee, Gillespie were good bowlers but aren't considered greats. Also by that logic Gautam Gambhir is the greatest batsman from Asia as he has a great record in general, won both world cups, was top scorer in finals too. There is no memory of that Aussie attack destroying teams in world cups for 50,100, 150 or less than 200 consistently. That too in conditions conducive to batting where 300 is a par score in many instances.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are only two gun bowlers in that Aussie team. Mc Grath and Warne. The others like lee, Gillespie were good bowlers but aren't considered greats. Also by that logic Gautam Gambhir is the greatest batsman from Asia as he has a great record in general, won both world cups, was top scorer in finals too. There is no memory of that Aussie attack destroying teams in world cups for 50,100, 150 or less than 200 consistently. That too in conditions conducive to batting where 300 is a par score in many instances.
Gambir averages 39. How can he be called greatest odi batsman. Settle down.

Bumrah and shami have to prove their worth in semis and finals of a world cup. If they win then sure put them there as one of the best ever. Until then it's a no. They are definitely up there amongst say top 5 or so but not the best yet.

Lol at Lee and Gillespie just good bowler.s yoy might want to check out lee's average in odi. One of the finest odi bowlers that existed.

Pointless arguing with you if you think they can be labelled the best without an icc title.

They shot out prime pakistan team in 99 with relative ease in the final. They blasted india for sub 130 in the group game in 2003. Remember that?

Thread is about....

India bowling.

The way indian pace attack thrashed sri lanka yet again after that asia cup final, it was a sight to witness. Absolute marvelous to watch such pace and swing troubling the batters.

Gambir averages 39. How can he be called greatest odi batsman. Settle down.

Bumrah and shami have to prove their worth in semis and finals of a world cup. If they win then sure put them there as one of the best ever. Until then it's a no. They are definitely up there amongst say top 5 or so but not the best yet.

Lol at Lee and Gillespie just good bowler.s yoy might want to check out lee's average in odi. One of the finest odi bowlers that existed.

Pointless arguing with you if you think they can be labelled the best without an icc title.

They shot out prime pakistan team in 99 with relative ease in the final. They blasted india for sub 130 in the group game in 2003. Remember that?
Lol at you comparing ODI averages back then to current age. 40ish avg was considered good not too long ago. Your benchmarks keep adding up based on your convenience and you are biased. Lee without McGrath and Warne was a nobody. Gillespie too. Only two super stars in that team. Gambhir is a bonafide legend according to you. I disagree to a certain extent but will go with the flow. Also, by the same logic Dhoni is the greatest batsman, captain from Asia ever. Won both world cups, CT and averages close to 50. Kohli is also there as he won a world cup and CT and averages 50.

Lol at you comparing ODI averages back then to current age. 40ish avg was considered good not too long ago. Your benchmarks keep adding up based on your convenience and you are biased. Lee without McGrath and Warne was a nobody. Gillespie too. Only two super stars in that team. Gambhir is a bonafide legend according to you. I disagree to a certain extent but will go with the flow. Also, by the same logic Dhoni is the greatest batsman, captain from Asia ever. Won both world cups, CT and averages close to 50. Kohli is also there as he won a world cup and CT and averages 50.
Lol that's like saying waqar is a nobody without wasim or Walsh is useless without Ambrose.

Thats why it's called bowling in pairs or bowling well as a unit.

Lee was a phenomenal odi bowler. Just take a look at his stats and see for yourself.

Dhoni is an odi legend but not the greatest batsman. He had many flaws and his run just prior to retirement hurt his credentials.

Gambir was a clutch player but even if you believe 39 was a good average for the time, he was never really a number 1 ranked batsman at any time so that point is moot.

It's a combination of things. Ability to play in all conditions, strike rate, average, performance vs top sides, performance in KOs, calibre or bowlers faced, ranking of the player etc.

Kohli is one of the greats yes but he is not at the level of Ponting or Sachin yet. If he wins this wc then sure. Same with the bowlers. Only winners are celebrated provided they meet other criteria listed above as well. In the case ofna bowler obviously you have different metrics that need to be satisfied but the concept is the same.

People have to realise that this pace attack is doing magic on conditions more suited to spin then pace.

That shows how good this attack is.

Can't compare current Indian pace Trio with Aussie legends.

That was a different time full of legends in all teams. Bats were less thick and DRS was not a thing. And teams focused less on swing and fitness and fielding too.

Bumrah, Siraj, Shami is no.1 in current generation but Shami is old and will retire soon. Bumrah siraj are too injury prone.
Drs not being a thing benefited no one more than Aussies.

Take them outside India and see what happens.
Outside India, they'll still win. Those pitches will offer swing and bounce, these pitches do not, these are flat belters and only suited for spin.

The fact bumrah and shami swing the ball 22% more then any Pakistani pacer is a testament to their ability

Take them outside India and see what happens.
Lol they bowl better outside india especially in australia and England. Even In SA.

Remember pitches in India are not really conducive to fast bowling.

That's been the impressive part of the unit. Outside india the problem is their all rounder balance. Pace attack is elite.
It's the spin which let's them down as they either need a WC spinner who can be effective in sena countries or a capable AR who can bowl medium pace and bat to elongate their tail batting.

Lol that's like saying waqar is a nobody without wasim or Walsh is useless without Ambrose.

Thats why it's called bowling in pairs or bowling well as a unit.

Lee was a phenomenal odi bowler. Just take a look at his stats and see for yourself.

Dhoni is an odi legend but not the greatest batsman. He had many flaws and his run just prior to retirement hurt his credentials.

Gambir was a clutch player but even if you believe 39 was a good average for the time, he was never really a number 1 ranked batsman at any time so that point is moot.

It's a combination of things. Ability to play in all conditions, strike rate, average, performance vs top sides, performance in KOs, calibre or bowlers faced, ranking of the player etc.

Kohli is one of the greats yes but he is not at the level of Ponting or Sachin yet. If he wins this wc then sure. Same with the bowlers. Only winners are celebrated provided they meet other criteria listed above as well. In the case ofna bowler obviously you have different metrics that need to be satisfied but the concept is the same.
Again new benchmarks. First it was combo. Then the addition of world cups. Then the run before his retirement. This is a flawed argument where you keep clutching at straws. Dhoni is the best ODI batsman based on records, clutch performances, averages and his captaincy is legendary based on your own comments so far. As I said it's your bias that is clouding your judgement.

Again new benchmarks. First it was the combo, then the world titles then the averages and now "run" before retirement. Your bias is clouding your judgement. Before you choke yourself with further clutching of straws, Dhoni is a bonafide legend whichever way you look at it. Lee was a dummy after McGrath and Warne. Gillespie just disappeared. Kohli. Already won the world cup and CT. He's already a legend. This pace trio in India can each take a 5 wicket haul on their day. They are doing this on batsman friendly wickets. They will be unplayable in England and Aus or SA. This is just the beginning and long may continue their reign.

India batting has not been that gun, but bowling has been ATG in the last 7-8 years. Not many bowling units in history have done better than them.

Again new benchmarks. First it was the combo, then the world titles then the averages and now "run" before retirement. Your bias is clouding your judgement. Before you choke yourself with further clutching of straws, Dhoni is a bonafide legend whichever way you look at it. Lee was a dummy after McGrath and Warne. Gillespie just disappeared. Kohli. Already won the world cup and CT. He's already a legend. This pace trio in India can each take a 5 wicket haul on their day. They are doing this on batsman friendly wickets. They will be unplayable in England and Aus or SA. This is just the beginning and long may continue their reign.
Only one clinging on to straws and using random Strawman logic in a futile attempt to dispel the reality is you here. Not me.

Again. Check lee's record please. This bowling attack needs to help india win titles as well while maintaining their averages to be rated on par with the GOAT Australian attack of 2003 to 2007. Choking in semis or finals which is still a possibility won't help their cause.

Also kohli is a legend but not in the class of Ponting viv or Sachin even. He needs to perform in the ko stages and help india win too.

Dhoni odi great, I will give you that but he is a tier below Gilchrist.
Batting ability wise even qdk is better than Dhoni.

Lol at Lee being a dummy bowler. That dummy has a lower average than any indian fast bowler in history.

Yes, and in home conditions probably the world's best ever, or at least close.

I can only speak for myself - I have been following Indian cricket for forty plus years and there has been no Indian attack better than this one.

It’s not just talent, it’s so many bowlers peaking at the same time (This last part is critical).

I think it is their best ODI bowling attack ever.

Kuldeep, Jadeja, Shami, Bumrah, and Siraj.

I can only speak for myself - I have been following Indian cricket for forty plus years and there has been no Indian attack better than this one.

It’s not just talent, it’s so many bowlers peaking at the same time (This last part is critical).
They have 2 ATGs great bowlers bumrah and shami. They don’t have a weak link. There is not one bowler in the Indian team the opposition can possibly target they are that good. I will be shocked if any team will make over 200 against them.

This team is the greatest of all time and will win this World Cup without breaking a sweat. This has been and will be the most one sided World Cup ever. Absolute no competition.

They have 2 ATGs great bowlers bumrah and shami. They don’t have a weak link. There is not one bowler in the Indian team the opposition can possibly target they are that good. I will be shocked if any team will make over 200 against them.

This team is the greatest of all time and will win this World Cup without breaking a sweat. This has been and will be the most one sided World Cup ever. Absolute no competition.
You think this attack can stop 2003 aus batting? It will be close for sure but indian batting won't be able to handle mcgrath and Warne either.

You think this attack can stop 2003 aus batting? It will be close for sure but indian batting won't be able to handle mcgrath and Warne either.
Warne didn't play in 2003. failed drug test. Brad Hogg was their main spinner. Gillespie dropped out due to Tendon injury. Actually that attack was more about brett lee more than Mcgrath. Brett Lee was terrorizing at high pace.

Warne didn't play in 2003. failed drug test. Brad Hogg was their main spinner. Gillespie dropped out due to Tendon injury. Actually that attack was more about brett lee more than Mcgrath. Brett Lee was terrorizing at high pace.

Bichel was good also. Took a 7-fer.

Bichel was good also. Took a 7-fer.
He was good in those helpful conditions with relentless accuracy. But Gillespie was always their main bowler. I remember correctly the talk was all about BRett Lee as he was at top of his game in that world cup. Infact teams were hesitant to bat first because of Brett Lee.

No doubt about it. A high quality unit with excellent skills set who compliment each other brilliantly.

The attack of Srinath, zaheer, Prasad, kumble was also very good. But this attack is quality in all formats

Australian attack of 2003 in South African conditions was brilliant.

But the Windies attack of 79 was unreal. As well test of technical side of the game, it was also a test mental toughness against serious speed

This man definitely deserves credit for turning Indian bowlers into a force, be it Australia, Pakistan, England SL and SA. Indian bowlers have decimated opponents and should India go on the win the World Cup with bowlers continuing their impressive work then they will leave an unparalleled legacy in this age of batting friendly era.

Mr.Mhambrey has only played couple of Test matches unlike the fancied hot stocks like Morne Morkel etc.

India's bowling lineup has been the best out of all teams this tournament.
Will they be able to rescue India out of their sub par score ?

I'd say it's India's been bowling line up ever and probably the first time they've been the strongest in the world

Warner and Marsh got out to nothing deliveries and Steven Smith was wrongfully given out. Let’s not compare this attack to the legendary Pakistan or Australian attacks again. Siraj can not even be trusted to open the bowling in low scoring matches.

This is the greatest pace bowling attack India ever had. Winning the World Cup is not a criteria in my opinion to prove or disprove bowling greatness. Otherwise everyone will judge Waseem and Waqar as less than a great pair just because they never won any ICC trophies together.

Warner and Marsh got out to nothing deliveries and Steven Smith was wrongfully given out. Let’s not compare this attack to the legendary Pakistan or Australian attacks again. Siraj can not even be trusted to open the bowling in low scoring matches.
Ist a great attack but run machine siraj weakened it a lot. Bumrah and shami are class.

Back