Joe Biden says Pakistan may be ‘one of the most dangerous nations in the world’

Do you agree with Joe Biden's views on security of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal?

• Total voters
I don't believe Pakistan is the most dangerous nation on Earth. But that's not what Biden claimed, he stated it may be one of the most dangerous nations in the world which I fully agree. I'll explain why:

1. Pakistan hid OBL (the world's most wanted man) for years until the US found him and dealt with him
2. Historically and even in recent times, Pakistan have given their backing to rogue groups like Taliban, TLP and etc

As for your point about other countries being more dangerous, we need to clean our own house first and focus on that. Pakistan is a failed state and the sooner Pakistanis collectively can embrace this, the sooner we can act and bring change.

Admitting our failures is the first step but unfortunately most Pakistanis simply can't handle the truth and the responses on this thread are reflection of that.

One of would mean in the top 3?

Give me your top 5 of most dangerous nations in the WORLD.

I dont think Pakistan is even in the top 10, so I cant agree to admitting anything. I dont accept the official 911 jackanory, its proven to be false.

Im glad you can understand what Biden means because his own wife and most of the American public cant.

What's funny is there are young American guys walking around all parts of Pakistan making vlogs on Youtube absolutely blown away by how friendly the people are to outsiders. I know some of our Indian posters won't want to hear about it, but Pakistani people have been literally described as having the biggest hearts. :sendoff

Biden is clutching at straws here, he must be really desperate. The guy seems to have no principles at all, he's making Trump look like a straight shooter.

Hindustan Times: The White House has defended U.S President Joe Biden’s remark on Pakistan's nuclear weapons safety. When asked about Biden’s remark, White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said that U.S President made these comments before as well so there is nothing new. She also added that a secure & prosperous Pakistan is critical to U.S interests. Biden's nuke safety remark has upset Pakistan. Shehbaz Sharif govt even summoned a U.S envoy to Pakistan to lodge a strong protest.

What's funny is there are young American guys walking around all parts of Pakistan making vlogs on Youtube absolutely blown away by how friendly the people are to outsiders. I know some of our Indian posters won't want to hear about it, but Pakistani people have been literally described as having the biggest hearts. :sendoff

Biden is clutching at straws here, he must be really desperate. The guy seems to have no principles at all, he's making Trump look like a straight shooter.

What are you on about? How does friendly Pakistanis negate the fact that Pakistan is a political & economic cesspool, which is probably one step away from bankruptcy? Biden is right in the sense that considering the economic & political instability in the country, conditions could seen be ripe for a extremist takeover especially if Pakistan defaults on its loan & enters bankruptcy- in which case its nukes could fall into dangerous hands. The world needs to band together & make sure that they dont let Pak go bankrupt.

Jamaat-e-Islami chief Sirajul Haq on Sunday demanded that the government announce expulsion of the American ambassador until his country apologised for President Joe Biden’s anti-Pakistan statement.

Biden made the remarks late Thursday while talking about US foreign policy during a private Democratic Party fundraiser in California, but the White House later published a transcript of his comments on Saturday, sparking outrage in Pakistan.

When you have a coward general and his boot polisher cherry blossom going around world begging what do you thinks gonna happen
They keep saying we are broke help us , so naturally these Anglo saxons want to de nuclerise us if you are going around like an African failed state begging then your not supposed to have a nuclear programe .

I would be careful with racial terms. Putin says things like that to divide. WASPs aren’t a homogenous mass who all think alike.

Biden says he’s Irish, not Anglo-Saxon. Obama certainly wasn’t. Blair, Brown and Cameron were all Scots while Johnson is Hungarian.

On the main thrust of your post, it’s interesting that India wants foreign aid despite having a space programme.

What are you on about? How does friendly Pakistanis negate the fact that Pakistan is a political & economic cesspool, which is probably one step away from bankruptcy? Biden is right in the sense that considering the economic & political instability in the country, conditions could seen be ripe for a extremist takeover especially if Pakistan defaults on its loan & enters bankruptcy- in which case its nukes could fall into dangerous hands. The world needs to band together & make sure that they dont let Pak go bankrupt.

Pakistan has been regarded as an ally for decades, if the USA thought the country was as dangerous as you seem to believe, they would have took action already. Biden is on his way out, he's failed big time, when is anyone going to take him seriously again?

When American secret service personnel stop getting access to Pakistan's designs for the future, then maybe we could take it more seriously, this is just a bit of arm twisting to see if they can get further benefit from it.

I would be careful with racial terms. Putin says things like that to divide. WASPs aren’t a homogenous mass who all think alike.

Biden says he’s Irish, not Anglo-Saxon. Obama certainly wasn’t. Blair, Brown and Cameron were all Scots while Johnson is Hungarian.

On the main thrust of your post, it’s interesting that India wants foreign aid despite having a space programme.

India wants foreign aid? Who told you that?

Indian government doesn't take a dime in aid.

British government gives aid to NGOs who claim to work in India. Ask your government why is it giving aid to NGOs when the Indian government openly called British Aid as peanuts and refused to take it.

Who is the British government funding and why?

Extremist takeover of Pakistan is an old bogeyman.

Former Republican advisor Kevin Philips in his American Theocracy said that there are more chances of an Evangelical takeover of US, it was years before Trump, who was indeed surrounded by Evangelicals.

Evangelicals are radical Christians who think that the second coming of Jesus would only come through a massive war (armageddon) in the Middle East.

You could argue that Pakistan is defo dangerous for the West because of Islamic radicalization, but the US' foreign policy, even without Evangelicals, is a danger for the world as well.

Stay on topic plz. This is not an India thread

Not sure about that, Britain and particularly Russia both made a huge contribution to the war victory. What the Jonny-come-latelys in the US were able to do in their trademark fashion is capitalise on the massive financial and infrastructural damage suffered by both a bankrupted Britain (+ the British Empire), and Russia, who also lost tens of millions of their people, and emerge as the dominant superpower because their land and population 6,000 miles away from Europe were sat almost entirely intact in comparison.

But anyway, I digress! Biden thread.

I don't think Nazi Germany could have beaten down GB. We had the world's most powerful battle fleet by a wide margin. It would have stopped an invasion. More likely that USSR would have eventually beaten the Nazis down, leaving GB isolated off the coast of a communist Eurasia.

The Yanks did sell absolutely shedloads of planes, tanks, ships guns, ammo to the UK and USSR at ten cents on the Dollar. That made a huge difference to both nations. They also made it possible to liberate Western Europe from totalitarianism - either Nazi or Soviet - and helped set up the postwar liberal order of the UN, World Bank, GATT and so on which helped prevent more wars.

India wants foreign aid? Who told you that?

Indian government doesn't take a dime in aid.

British government gives aid to NGOs who claim to work in India. Ask your government why is it giving aid to NGOs when the Indian government openly called British Aid as peanuts and refused to take it.

Who is the British government funding and why?

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/why-the-end-of-british-aid-to-india-wont-matter/#:~:text=More%20than%20half%20of%20official%20aid%20from%20Britain,was%20about%200.04%20per%20cent%20of%20India%E2%80%99s%20GDP%29.

"...programs focused on education, health, nutritional programs, and water and sanitation access. In relative terms, these are not large amounts (the $450 mission in total annual British aid was about 0.04 per cent of India’s GDP)".

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/why-the-end-of-british-aid-to-india-wont-matter/#:~:text=More%20than%20half%20of%20official%20aid%20from%20Britain,was%20about%200.04%20per%20cent%20of%20India%E2%80%99s%20GDP%29.

"...programs focused on education, health, nutritional programs, and water and sanitation access. In relative terms, these are not large amounts (the $450 mission in total annual British aid was about 0.04 per cent of India’s GDP)".

Programs by NGOSs. The Indian government doesn't take any aid. It gives billions in aid a year.

It has been 16 years since Indian government accepted foreign aid. Exception was the 2021 covid wave.

Question should be which NGOs are the British government funding and why?

Extremist takeover of Pakistan is an old bogeyman.

Former Republican advisor Kevin Philips in his American Theocracy said that there are more chances of an Evangelical takeover of US, it was years before Trump, who was indeed surrounded by Evangelicals.

Evangelicals are radical Christians who think that the second coming of Jesus would only come through a massive war (armageddon) in the Middle East.

You could argue that Pakistan is defo dangerous for the West because of Islamic radicalization, but the US' foreign policy, even without Evangelicals, is a danger for the world as well.

What hogwash - nobody in their right mind would say that the evangelists are taking over anything. And even somebody like Trump never started any war in the ME. Lets stick to current situation in Pakistan. I work in international markets & the mood here is - that the combined effect of the political instability, floods & the out of control deficits have put Pakistan in almost bankruptcy category (Pak sovereign bonds are down 60 percent of value this year & inflation rate is approx 25 percent YTD!!) & we have Sri lanka as an example as to what can happen in such a scenario. And if that happens, people are sensing it will be the military or the extremists taking over the country. Scary as hell that extremists could come close to a nuclear pile.

Well, we will know soon enough if Pak tips over the default edge.

What hogwash - nobody in their right mind would say that the evangelists are taking over anything. And even somebody like Trump never started any war in the ME. Lets stick to current situation in Pakistan. I work in international markets & the mood here is - that the combined effect of the political instability, floods & the out of control deficits have put Pakistan in almost bankruptcy category (Pak sovereign bonds are down 60 percent of value this year & inflation rate is approx 25 percent YTD!!) & we have Sri lanka as an example as to what can happen in such a scenario. And if that happens, people are sensing it will be the military or the extremists taking over the country. Scary as hell that extremists could come close to a nuclear pile.

Well, we will know soon enough if Pak tips over the default edge.

There are many "nobodies", incl but not only that old Republican advisor I mentioned, who have written about the Evangelical takeover in the White House, and Trump didn't launch wars (for purely economic reasons) but he didn't disengage the US totally (setting his eyes on Iraqi oil, making Jerusalem the capital - as Evangelicals dreams of -, throwing the "mother of all bombs" in Afghanistan, continuing drone attacks ...).

It's pretty much agreed upon in academic literature so I don't see why you need to get that emotional.

I'm just saying that the "extremists will take nukes" mantra has not much credibility of happening, for good or bad reasons the Army as an institution is just too powerful in the country, even at the height of militantism (2008-2010) you could read such headlines but nothing ever happened, so it's even unlikely now.

The trope of bad economy = Islamists will take over (that you also read about the Arab world) is very cliché.

There are many "nobodies", incl but not only that old Republican advisor I mentioned, who have written about the Evangelical takeover in the White House, and Trump didn't launch wars (for purely economic reasons) but he didn't disengage the US totally (setting his eyes on Iraqi oil, making Jerusalem the capital - as Evangelicals dreams of -, throwing the "mother of all bombs" in Afghanistan, continuing drone attacks ...).

It's pretty much agreed upon in academic literature so I don't see why you need to get that emotional.

I'm just saying that the "extremists will take nukes" mantra has not much credibility of happening, for good or bad reasons the Army as an institution is just too powerful in the country, even at the height of militantism (2008-2010) you could read such headlines but nothing ever happened, so it's even unlikely now.

The trope of bad economy = Islamists will take over (that you also read about the Arab world) is very cliché.

I am not really emotional about it, because honestly Pakistan is almost in a perpetual financial/political mess state. Never a dull day with them!

America obviously has interests in the ME for historical & alliance reasons & it is bound to assert its power, but i dont think it will launch a war or any sort in ME again - be it democrat or republicans in power.

And lets just hope that it will be the military which takes over if Pakistan collapses, because the alternative is alarming!

WASHINGTON: The United States said Monday that it had confidence in Pakistan's ability to control its nuclear arsenal after President Joe Biden expressed alarm, leading Islamabad to summon the US ambassador.

"The United States is confident of Pakistan's commitment and its ability to secure its nuclear assets," State Department spokesman Vedant Patel told reporters.

"The US has always viewed a secure and prosperous Pakistan as critical to US interests and, more broadly, the US values our long-standing cooperation with Pakistan," he said.

TheNews

The number of time the US Press has had to gloss over Biden's mistakes is telling.

Biden is clearly a liability now.

It's so sad to see an elderly man losing his mind.

The number of time the US Press has had to gloss over Biden's mistakes is telling.

Biden is clearly a liability now.

It's so sad to see an elderly man losing his mind.

Which is generally true, but not in this case. This statement came up while he was discussing Russian & Chinese threats in a Dem party meet - think he genuinely believes Pakistan nuclearheads are not secure.

US ‘confident’ Pakistan’s nuclear assets are secure

The United States has said that it is confident of Pakistan’s ability to keep its nuclear assets safe and secure, dismissing speculations stirred by President Joe Biden’s off-the-cuff remarks about the country’s nuclear programme.

“The United States is confident of Pakistan’s commitment and its ability to secure nuclear assets,” a US State Department spokesperson told journalists in Washington shortly after a meeting between Ambassador Masood Khan and Counselor Derek Chollet.

Chollet, a senior advisor to US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, was the first to break the news of the meeting, which came days after the Pakistan Foreign Office summoned the US ambassador in Islamabad to protest over President Biden’s remarks.

Chollet said in a tweet that he met Ambassador Khan “to discuss US-Pakistan long-standing partnership and (to) further grow our ties in so many areas including health, agriculture, education, entrepreneurship, energy and more for the benefit of our peoples and the region”.

The counselor’s tweet forced the Pakistan embassy to acknowledge the meeting in a press release that not only borrowed Chollet’s statement, but also included contents from the daily news briefing.

Ambassador Khan posted a tweet as well, thanking Counselor Chollet for his constructive role, and stated that he had discussed with him “ways to build further resilience in Pakistan-US relations and boost strategic trust between the two countries”.

Khan expressed confidence that through high-level visits, people-to-people exchanges and effective communication, “bilateral relations would continue to be fortified.”

The issue resurfaced at the State Department’s daily news briefing on Monday afternoon when a journalist asked Principal Deputy Spokesperson Vedant Patel to clarify the doubts created by President Biden’s remarks.

While addressing a Democratic fundraiser in California on Thursday, President Biden surprised everyone with his off-the-cuff remarks about Pakistan. “What I think is maybe one of the most dangerous nations in the world: Pakistan,” he said. And then he explained why he thought Pakistan was dangerous: “Nuclear weapons without any cohesion.”

His remarks stirred a storm in Pakistan where both opposition and government leaders condemned his comments and reiterated Islamabad’s position that Pakistan has a robust command and control system and its nuclear assets were completely safe.

The White House responded promptly, assuring Islamabad that “the president views a secure and prosperous Pakistan as critical to US interests.”

Spokesperson Vedant Patel, however, gave a more detailed explanation on Monday afternoon, saying: “the US has always viewed a secure and prosperous Pakistan as critical to US interests. And more broadly, the US values our long-standing cooperation with Pakistan.”

The two countries “enjoy a strong partnership”, said the State Department official, adding that Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari visited Washington recently where he met Secretary Blinken as well.

He recalled that Counselor Chollet also visited Karachi and Islamabad during the floods, as did USAID Administrator Sam Power.

“So, this is a relationship we view as important, and it’s something that we’re going to continue to remain deeply engaged in,” said Patel, pointing out that US and Pakistani officials meet regularly.

But when the journalist insisted on a response to his question about President Biden’s remarks, the US official said: “I don’t have any specific conversation to read out, but the United States is confident of Pakistan’s commitment and its ability to secure its nuclear assets.”

DAWN

Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa on Tuesday chaired 252nd Corps Commanders’ Conference at General Headquarters (GHQ) Rawalpindi to review the country’s internal and external security situation, ARY News reported, quoting Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR).

According to the military’s public relations wing, the forum was apprised of the army’s assistance to civil administration for relief and rehabilitation efforts in flood-affected areas and post-flood situations, particularly in Sindh and Balochistan.

The CCC also comprehensively reviewed the prevailing internal and external security situation and operational preparedness of the Army.

US wants 'sustained action' from Pakistan against terrorist groups
State Department spokesperson says US has always viewed secure, prosperous Pakistan as critical to its interests

Talks between the authorities in Islamabad and Washington are routine and part of standard bilateral protocol, said the US State Department spokesperson Vedant Patel amid the recent stir in light of President Joe Biden's statement on Pakistan's nukes.

Spokesman Vedant Patel, however, avoided commenting on the recent meeting of Pakistan's ambassador at the State Department.

"The US meets with Pakistani officials and vice versa regularly at regular intervals. As standard practice, we don’t comment on the specifics and don’t get into private diplomatic engagements as well," he said, replying to a question about the visit of Pakistani Ambassador to US Sardar Masood Khan to the State Department.

Patel said that there are very few countries that were hit by terrorism like Pakistan. The counterterrorism effort is part of our common interests, he said.

"The US has always viewed a secure and prosperous Pakistan as critical to its interests. The US values longstanding cooperation with Pakistan," he said.

Patel said that only a few nations have experienced terrorism to the extent that Pakistan has.

"Our shared interests include the counterterrorism effort," he added.

He said that organisations like the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) pose a serious threat to the region, and the US seeks a strong partnership with Pakistan to combat terrorism.

"Few countries have suffered from terrorism like Pakistan. The US has a shared interest in combating threats to regional instability and regional security like the TTP," he said.

The US hopes Pakistan will take action against global and regional terrorist organisations, he added.

"We seek a strong partnership with Pakistan on counterterrorism and expect sustained action against all militant and terrorist groups. We look forward to the cooperative efforts to eliminate all regional and global terrorist threats," he added.

'US policy towards Pakistan remains unchanged'
US President Joe Biden did not aim to sour the ties between Pakistan and the United States, a US senator said separately on Tuesday.

"I don't know what made President Biden say [what he said about Pakistan], but I don't believe this was intended to hurt US-Pakistan relations in any way," said Democrat Senator Chris Van Hollen in a media talk at an event in Maryland.

In clarification for what Biden said, Hollen said that there was no change in his country's policy towards Pakistan and that the statement of the US president was spontaneous.

"The United States does have confidence in Pakistan over the security of its nuclear arsenal," the US senator said.

He said the explanation from the US State Department also gives the same impression that President Biden did not make the remark deliberately.

Hollen further stated that the US seeks stable relations with Pakistan, which were further strengthened by the coordinated response efforts during the flash floods in Pakistan.

The United States is constantly in touch with Pakistani officials, looking for ways to further assist the country in flood relief, he added.

He also repudiated the claims by PTI Chief Imran Khan regarding the alleged US role in regime change in Pakistan. He said the US is not involved in Pakistani politics in terms of deciding who should be in the government. This is the business of the people of Pakistan to decide who should rule them, he said.

"However, I will say the former prime minister of Pakistan [Imran Khan] is mistaken" as the US did not play any role in the regime change in the country, he added.

Pakistan most dangerous country: Biden
Remarks from the US officials come days after the US President alleged that Pakistan's nuclear programme lacks cohesion.

Biden referred to Pakistan as "one of the most dangerous countries" and alleged that Islamabad's nuclear programme lacks cohesion.

"Did anybody think we would be in a situation where China is trying to figure out its role relative to Russia and relative to India and relative to Pakistan?" President Biden said, addressing the democratic congressional campaign committee reception on Saturday [October 15].

Referring to Chinese President Jinping, Biden said that he "understands what he wants but has an enormous array of problems."

"How do we handle that? How do we handle that relative to what’s going on in Russia? And what I think is maybe one of the most dangerous nations in the world: Pakistan. Nuclear weapons without any cohesion," the US president said, adding that despite a lot going on, the US has a hunk of opportunities to change the dynamic in the second quarter of the 21st century.

Pakistani reaction
The Pakistani authorities held consultations before issuing a detailed official response. Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Foreign Minister Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari strongly protested against Biden's controversial remarks.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) handed a "strong" demarche to US Ambassador to Pakistan Donald Blome over President Biden's "misleading" remarks regarding Pakistan's nuclear programme.

Acting Foreign Secretary Jauhar Saleem called in the US ambassador to deliver the demarche, the ministry said. Pakistan’s disappointment and concern were conveyed to the US envoy on the unwarranted remarks, it said.

The US president's remarks are not grounded in reality and facts, the ministry said.

The secretary made it clear that Pakistan is a responsible nuclear state and its impeccable stewardship of the nuclear programme and adherence to global standards and international best practices was well acknowledged, including by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

"It was essential to maintain the positive trajectory of Pakistan-US relations and the close cooperation between the two sides to build regional and global peace," the ministry added.

The News PK

How much will it cost us more being an American ally. Could have been better off in the Russian camp.

Uranium package, allegedly originated in Pakistan, seized by British police at Heathrow

British police said on Tuesday they had opened an investigation into a package containing uranium that was seized at London’s Heathrow Airport.

The package was discovered by border agents during a routine search on December 29, police said.

The package had originated in Pakistan and arrived on a flight from Oman, according to The Sun, which first reported the story.

The uranium was found in a shipment of scrap metal and investigators were looking into whether it was the result of “poor handling” in Pakistan, the BBC reported.

“I want to reassure the public that the amount of contaminated material was extremely small and has been assessed by experts as posing no threat to the public,” police commander Richard Smith said in a statement to British media.

“Although our investigation remains ongoing, from our inquiries so far, it does not appear to be linked to any direct threat.”

DAWN

Uranium package, allegedly originated in Pakistan, seized by British police at Heathrow

British police said on Tuesday they had opened an investigation into a package containing uranium that was seized at London’s Heathrow Airport.

The package was discovered by border agents during a routine search on December 29, police said.

The package had originated in Pakistan and arrived on a flight from Oman, according to The Sun, which first reported the story.

The uranium was found in a shipment of scrap metal and investigators were looking into whether it was the result of “poor handling” in Pakistan, the BBC reported.

“I want to reassure the public that the amount of contaminated material was extremely small and has been assessed by experts as posing no threat to the public,” police commander Richard Smith said in a statement to British media.

“Although our investigation remains ongoing, from our inquiries so far, it does not appear to be linked to any direct threat.”

DAWN

The Establishment needs to gets its house in order before Western Nations go berserk, this is absolutely shocking if confirmed.

Radioactive cargo ‘didn’t come from Pakistan’: FO

• The Sun report claims uranium on flight from Karachi detected during scan
• Officials say no word from UK on probe so far

LONDON/ISLAMABAD: Reports that a package containing uranium originating from Pakistan arrived at Heathrow Airport last month sparked panic in the United Kingdom on Wednesday, but Pakistani officials insisted that London has not contacted Islamabad regarding the investigation into the matter.

Officials also said that the shipment did not originate in Pakistan, as is being claimed by British media, and suspected foul play behind insinuations that the shipment had been booked from Karachi.

“No information to this effect has been shared with us officially. We are confident that the reports are not factual,” Foreign Office Spokes*person Mumtaz Zahra said when asked to comment on the reports in British media that the seized material came from Pakistan.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1731192/radioactive-cargo-didnt-come-from-pakistan-fo

Back