Junaid Khan: First impressions

Dr Khan

First Class Player
Runs
Looks very good, swung the ball. Impressive first over. What do you guys think?

needs to work on a few things hardly jumps when he gets to the crease could add a few extra yard of pace if he gets that right

Build wise he reminds me of Ajit Agarkar.

Whippy action and looks like the outswinger to the right hander is his stock delivery.

Difficult to really assess him properly in a T20 match, but he looks as if he has a neat and tidy action.

Nice action. Let's see if he can bring the ball back in to the right hander.

His line and length is fairly accurate - he seems like a compose bowler, just a shame he leaked runs in the 2nd over as after that he didn't get a chance but let's hope he can take a wicket or two so it can boost his confidence.

Will be better to judge him after ODI series.

Unfair to judge him for better or for worse right now. He's bowled 12 international balls...

Gul started off as a slow 80-83 mph trundler so Junaid's weak physique and leaking runs, low speed is not really a cause of much concern yet. Has plenty of time to develop.

judging by first impressions from our previous bowlers he seems to be nothing special

but then again asif wasnt great either in his first series.

not keeping my hopes up though.

His line and length is fairly accurate - he seems like a compose bowler, just a shame he leaked runs in the 2nd over as after that he didn't get a chance but let's hope he can take a wicket or two so it can boost his confidence.

I'm afraid he didn't have the chance to take wickets as Afridi didn't give him the opportunity to bowl his 3rd or 4th over which is a shame as I wanted to see how he would have coped after the poor 2nd over he did but overall his line and length seems fairly accurate, but T20 is the worst format to judge a debutant in my opinion.

It's clear that his batting is weak but he handled the pressure well and didn't go for any immature shots - it's been a tough day for him but I feel for him, using him in ODI's or Test would have been a better option for him.

Will be better to judge him after ODI series.

Agreed - although ideally I'd want Pakistan to give him a run of series (preferably ODI's and Test) to fully judge him.

Lacks pace will be a problem against good batsmen who will be able to walk down the crease to him.

will prob do a better job on bowler friendly pitches

had a good first over and came back well after getting hit for a 6 and 4

will be honest...dont know why he didnt get another over

Last edited:
Disappointed he was only given two overs to bowl...

Two boundaries seem to discount his other 10 deliveries...he should have been brought back with Wahab at the death...overly cautious by Afridi...

Too early to judge.Poor decision by the Holiday Captain to not give him another over.

His failure to hold the bat in the end did cost us though.

For starters I agree with Saj bhai that he looks kinda like Ajit Agarkar.But bowling wise hes pretty decent. Looks pretty ordinary to be honest. He definitely has the look of a bowler. But can he cash it in? Not really sure. I would've liked it to see more new faces in this bowling attack. But i guess not everyone gets their wish. But Overall this guys pretty ordinary. Doesn't have the Shoaib Akthar Like action it kinda looks like he's copying Umar Gul.

Too early to judge.Poor decision by the Holiday Captain to not give him another over.

His failure to hold the bat in the end did cost us though.

Bhai pichlay 10 lullo cost us the match dont blame it to the debutant tale-ender.

Never mind,probably overly-critical here.

But teams like Australia and England can have tail-enders who can wag towards the end,those runs can be vital.Youngsters should at least know how to bat and learn the basics at the academy/domestic level.

Junaid Khan is actually not that bad of a batsman , he averages about 18 in FC cricket with two 50s so he can hold a bat

But teams like Australia and England can have tail-enders who can wag towards the end,those runs can be vital.Youngsters should at least know how to bat and learn the basics at the academy/domestic level.

I am sure they know the basic but it is not easy to go out there at international level and deliver in a tight situation.About aus no 11 come on dude Mc Grath , Tait are pleasure to watch :D if you are supporting the bowling side.

Neither Junaid or Wahab looked great today, but they will improve in the ODIs.

Yeah, you were overly critical for all the tail enders. It's not their job.

looked decent with the ball, was definitely getting some swing, lovely seam presentation.

I think he clocked 87 mph as well, so speed's are up there too.

Hard to add anything constructive considering it was a Twenty20 match & it was his first game. He produced some good deliveries on a challenging spot & passed the edge on a few occasions. Break it down. Only conceded 2 boundaries in 12 deliveries from a batsmen who took most of the bowlers to the cleaners. 3 runs only from the other 9 balls. Decent & respectable start to hopefully a long and prosperous career. The action was smooth. Pace was pretty good.

Looks a good prospect, very good seam position.

and MOST IMPORTANTLY, HE HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE PHAAAAAAAAAAAAST :akhtar

i wonder if he will end up like mohammed irfan (who was heavily hyped up by pakpassion forum members).

pakistan probably can do without junaid khan, when umar gul comes back.

^ you can't find anything because he didn't get any wickets lol, hence nothing of him in the highlights packages

After thinking about his bowling again, I wll say, that I am quite sure he isn' t a bad bowler, not anothrt Ohmzd Orfan. But as it wzs just 2 overs in a T20 match we will have to wait to know if he is just good or very good!

Looks a potential seamer. Not much of a rhythm bowler on looks.

Descent bowler, I'm sure he will vastly improve under Waqar, only thing he is lacking is pace, he's in the mid 130's can crank it up to max 142-3, surely after a few years he can add 4-5 ks to his speed.
I say try him out in tests

Not impressed from what I've seen. But I'm sure he'll put in a better performance in the ODIs

^

Ye, Amir was a dream bowler. IA will return in 5 years time.

Junaid needs games to prove his worth.

So basically Basit Ali as usual was talking crap when he had said before the WC that Junaid chucks. What a poor comment from an ex cricketer about a youngster who was yet to make his debut then.

hmm i didnt see anything special from junaid khan.. maybe in ODIs..his action needs work

i know... but his action lacks amazingness... and he doesnt have that much pace..he is no amir, he doesnt look special even from that 2 overs

Pace was hovering around the mid 80s mph mark, his confidence looked shot after those 2 swipes by Simmons.

Last edited:
very very average bowler. What Pakistan need is another wasim/waqar/shoaib. A fast bowler that makes an impact.

He was decent, I don't know why Afridi didn't let him bowl more overs.

I am afraid that Afridi is not keen on nurturing the young talent, Junaid just got hit for 10 runs in his two balls of second over but he made good comeback in next 4 balls. No wonder Afridi went with Misbah who proved once again that all experience can go to drain when it comes to him. He didn't go for Salahudin (the highly rated youngster) and then playing Rehman and Ajmal together when Hafeez was already in the team? Hammad Azam should have given a chance :/

Anyways I am deviating from the topic, I think Junaid must be given fair chance, I like the way he bowls and his attitude towards the game.

Good Luck to him.

^

Ye, Amir was a dream bowler. IA will return in 5 years time.

Junaid needs games to prove his worth.

He will not be the same when he comes back. The PCB should just forget about the poor guy for his own sake. We have 4 years till the next world cup. Inshallah by then we would have found a couple of key fast bowlers.

he is raw needs nurturing

feel for the young guy can't be easy when your opening bowling partner is abdur-rahman.
and the brainless aggitated captain has no confidence in you yet bowls 3 rubbish overs himself for 30 odd runs.

we lost that match due to lazy fielding in the circle and field positions courtesy of the captain.

very very average bowler. What Pakistan need is another wasim/waqar/shoaib. A fast bowler that makes an impact.

Sure let me just pull one out of my left pocket :irfan

And Foozee he looks a lot like Gulla.

12 deliveries give you this impression of him :)))

and lol at the rest who also reckon hes awful after 12 balls

Last edited:
12 deliveries give you this impression of him :)))

and lol at the rest who also reckon hes awful after 12 balls

i know, our dear compatriots (mostly) can be very judgmental......

i mean cummon, u cant label him anything after the poor chap has only bowled 12 balls!

Salaam & bump. So what do you guys think? I have not been watching everything because of some stuff, but following the scores and watching the occasional ball. :junaid

Back