Keeping an eye on the ball

Inswinger

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Alright, get your minds out of the gutter.

Growing up in the US I haven't played a lot of cricket. In fact, I've never played organized cricket in my life. But I do play pickup games with friends over the weekend and although it's fun I struggle while batting. It seems that I just can't keep my eye on the ball. I follow it out of the bowler's hand and then it just disappears. What's the best training tip for following the ball all the way onto the bat?

Keep in mind that I play nothing more than pickup games and it's always tapeball.

Another thing. What's the best way to prevent your bowling arm from trailing the rest of your body?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its very hard to watch it onto the face of the bat, I watch it as long as i can and make a judgement

^But if you look at most pros they always watch the ball coming into the bat......

In IPL last year AB De Villiers was playing a scoop shot & the close up camera view showed that he had his eyes glued into the ball & he watched it all the way coming into the bat...

Then S.Gavaskar said that watching the ball coming into the bat is more important then watching the area where you want to hit the ball...

Watch the ball from as soon as the bowler is at the top of his runup. Do not look at the bowler look at the ball. You could alternatively be partially blind. :ibutt

Put a cricket ball in a sock. Attach it to a stocking or something elastic. Attach it to something taller than you (cross beam, garage beam whatever).

Swing the ball and use a cricket stump to play your shots. Practice watching the ball, moving quickly at the last minute, and playing shots. Start with defensive as they entail the least batswing. Once you are doing ok you can practice more expansive shots. (Beware that you will probably break some stumps this way).

keep eyes focused on the ball and ball only, dont watch the bowler more than the ball... focus should be mainly on the ball, a bit on the hand, and on the body language of the bowler as well. Try to watch when he lets go, from what angle he lets go off it, if he is letting it go from the top most point, you know it is a fuller ball, if he is bowling from wide of crease and arm is angling towards you, than the ball is coming in at you (not necessarily swing, but the angle is there), if the arm goes straight the ball is outside, or if he is closer to stumps and arm is angled outside then the ball is going outside, etc... watch how and where the release point is, then watch the ball bounce and follow it... try this motion of focusing and watching and other methods of practicing shots.

You have to be able to pick up (not predetermine every ball but have a fair idea) where the bowler may bowl, due to their reputation, bowling style, or body language. Once you do that whether pickup or proper cricket, batting is easier. Its vice versa for bowlers.

^But if you look at most pros they always watch the ball coming into the bat......

In IPL last year AB De Villiers was playing a scoop shot & the close up camera view showed that he had his eyes glued into the ball & he watched it all the way coming into the bat...

Then S.Gavaskar said that watching the ball coming into the bat is more important then watching the area where you want to hit the ball...

as a batsman you already have seen the field, and for pros, they know where the fielders are like the back of their hands once they spot them, after that, they have to get enough on the bat to evade them, if they under or over hit it, then that changes the angle...

Another thing. What's the best way to prevent your bowling arm from trailing the rest of your body?

elaborate yourself a bit... when you bowl, your arm should (right handed) come down on either side of your body, either left or right, and always try to follow through, as that is natural, and prevents injuries/stiffness, many a bowlers just after releasing the ball come to a halt, just go through with the delivery, and your body will guide you itself... does require a bit of effort though.

I guess practice does help! I've become a handy bat now. Can mage to score score some runs without blindly swinging.

elaborate yourself a bit... when you bowl, your arm should (right handed) come down on either side of your body, either left or right, and always try to follow through, as that is natural, and prevents injuries/stiffness, many a bowlers just after releasing the ball come to a halt, just go through with the delivery, and your body will guide you itself... does require a bit of effort though.

I just can't seem to get my rhythm right. My front foot land long before I release the ball.

Inswinger, in the same scenerio as you.

Been in the US since I was a baby and actually played a cricket match for the first time at the age of 23. That too like you just tape ball pick up games on the weekend.

A year later, still trying to get a hold on the best batting techniques.

more than your eyes, i would say you are losing the ball because you are moving your head. when you move your head, your eyes have to "reset" and have to try and find the ball again. head has to be absolutely still at time of ball being released. try keeping it still for a bit longer and see if it helps.

more than your eyes, i would say you are losing the ball because you are moving your head. when you move your head, your eyes have to "reset" and have to try and find the ball again. head has to be absolutely still at time of ball being released. try keeping it still for a bit longer and see if it helps.

Thanks. Seems to have helped a lot. Really striking the ball well.

Try this eye exercise that John Crawley used.

Write down the alphabet on a piece of paper. Then on a different piece of paper write the alphabet all jumbled up (best if you get someone else to do it).

Then identify A from the 1st sheet and try to find it on the 2nd sheet, then b, c, d etc.

Exercises the eye and it has helped me massively in the past.

Also ensure when you are batting, your head is upright, so that your eyes are level and not at an angle.

Back