Laminated Bat Experience

zeusky

Tape Ball Star
Runs
Dear All,

I recently placed an order with Ajit of onlinestockist for a laminated cricket bat. I have never had one in my life and have been itching to experiment with one for some months now. I live in the US midwest and the season will start from next month. At the beginning of the season it is normally quite soggy out here and the mat wickets on which we play induce low and skiddy bounce. So my questions are:

a) How has your experience been with laminated cricket bats?

b) Does the big edge really provide the extra ping that batsmen dream of?

Any advice, suggestion and sharing of experience is welcome.

Welcome to PakPassion, i hope you enjoy your stay here.

I don't have a laminated bat but my local sports shop have few and I have tested them, some of them have very good ping and while others are average.

So I don't find a big difference to be honest.

Someone else would be better person for this who have used them

laminated bats are two clefts stuck together right? if so, i've never used one but i know a friend who has and he said that they have a massive profile from shoulder to toe but still fairly light for their size. Apparently, the thickest point on the edge is around 42mm

Last edited:
Yes Josh two piece stuck together.

Apparently GM say that Shane Watson is using or used laminated...

Yes they have two clefts stuck together. That's why the edges are so big. The one I am getting is grade 2 and cosmetically I really don't expect a bat with 14 straight grains but with shipping etc it came to a little over $150 and I thought that even with my student budget I can experiment......I have been in touch with Ajit and he has promised me a hand picked good bat. I am just itching to get my hands around it once it comes. It is so frustrating to buy a bat without trying it out first...

if they're stuck together why does it bring better ping my friend had both CA 9000+ and CA 5000+ and the 5k had better ping so how does that work?

Yes they have two clefts stuck together. That's why the edges are so big. The one I am getting is grade 2 and cosmetically I really don't expect a bat with 14 straight grains but with shipping etc it came to a little over $150 and I thought that even with my student budget I can experiment......I have been in touch with Ajit and he has promised me a hand picked good bat. I am just itching to get my hands around it once it comes. It is so frustrating to buy a bat without trying it out first...

Indeed it is! This is one of flaw from cricket perspective in North America :D

That is what I am interested in. The edges are massive and in the present day and age everyone is hankering after bats with big edges. I will do my own review of it once I start playing with it but hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on the purported extra ping factor based on their experience with one of its kind.

There is one laminated at my local shop and trust me that bat has the best ping I have ever seen! Edges are thick but the ping is awesome!

It is Blaaastic :D

Sad

Indeed it is! This is one of flaw from cricket perspective in North America :D

We had one shop where we used to go and get our hands on the bats but even that has closed down and everything about bat buying has become virtual. :(

There is one laminated at my local shop and trust me that bat has the best ping I have ever seen! Edges are thick but the ping is awesome!

It is Blaaastic :D

How is the pick up? I have heard people say that laminated bats inspite of the huge profile have light pick up and I hope they are right. I was hoping to get one around 2.10 but Ajit said it will come to about 2.12 and 2.13 which is worrying me....

How is the pick up? I have heard people say that laminated bats inspite of the huge profile have light pick up and I hope they are right. I was hoping to get one around 2.10 but Ajit said it will come to about 2.12 and 2.13 which is worrying me....
the pickup is light for its size. I thought the weight range of laminated bats were 2 9 to 2 11. idk lol

That is what I am worried about..I mean that is the purpose of having a laminated bat right? Light weight yet big profile....maybe the one I will be getting will have 45 mm edges....lol

laminated and light big bats might be more expensive and that is why he must have said that for your budget, to get a big bat, it will weigh more also.

i am looking forward to your review. i have never used one and am not sure what advantages it might provide.

So I used to have 2 lamianted bats both from Ihsan one was Inferno 950 and another one is Ihsan Opener both were heavy 2.11 to 2.13 pick up was not that light but after whole winter in Gym I feel now I can easily play my shots with them.

Used Exp:-

Ping is really amazing never seen anything like that before (dont know the reason) I struck 2 biggest and most effortless sixes with my Ihsan Inferno ball travelled really miles befor it struck the tree. It was heavy really heavy so I was not able to play long inning with it.

As for Ihsan Opener I sold it to a club mate who is huge 6,4 and as wide as 2 of me :D he really killed some bowling with it and he loved it.

Recomendation:

If you can take the weight then it is quite good for smacking depending on your batting style.

P.S. I have used a very light weight Laminated bat of UT sports its weight was 2.8 or 2.9 very light pickup but ping was not there I guess the ping is comming from all the meat it has.

dhump bhai long time no see
uzair bhai what bat was at your store and BTW why are they banned from international cricket

Aren't they illegal to use in any form of cricket?

Might be good for training - being extra heavy but I hope no one is talking about CHEATING in a game??

Aren't they illegal to use in any form of cricket?

Might be good for training - being extra heavy but I hope no one is talking about CHEATING in a game??

Not in any form, but just in MCC regulated like international cricket and county cricket.

In club cricket you can use it.

sounds unfair as well- unfair hitting advantage to the batsman.

one piece of wood hitting the ball vs 2 stuck together!

But there lies the experiment lads....it is after all only one piece of wood that will be hitting the ball; the other half is stuck behind. It is like having a meaty willow with a good blade, only difference is instead of being made of one cleft, it is made up of two clefts. I sincerely have my doubts as to how effective all these will be for the batsman. I have not seen a thread documenting the performance of a laminated bat and hence thought we can share our experience and opinion here.

You can get meaty willow without lamination. If you come across a low density cleft you can get close to 40 mm edges for 2.9ish bat easily. I'm sure pro bats which are not laminated are this thick.

The joint is what which improves the rebound.

pros used to use this and mcc banned it as it must have improved performance. however i have read that only when done properly, is it effective and is not just simply about gluing two pieces of wood together.

would be fun to try in the nets but i don't think i will use one as i am happy with normal bats.

pros used to use this and mcc banned it as it must have improved performance. however i have read that only when done properly, is it effective and is not just simply about gluing two pieces of wood together.

would be fun to try in the nets but i don't think i will use one as i am happy with normal bats.

Of course it improved the performance, hence, they were banned.

There is some sort of trampoline effect I think.

Out of 10 I saw one laminated which had extra ordinary ping.

Back