Lessons for those who want to learn Urdu

Wazeeri

Test Debutant
Runs
Salam guys,

Anyone who wishes to learn urdu can request translations or explanations up here.

I am sure those who know it will be glad to help.

1) لیے

2) لئے

3) لیئے

ان میں سے صحیح کون سا ہے ؟

لئے

Last edited:
عجیب بات یہ ہے کہ اس لفظ کو تینوں طریقوں سے لکھے ہوے دیکھا ہے !!

TAK you are right. I just browsed a few Urdu websites (Jang etc) and only saw #2 in list used frequently but did not see #3 and #1 at all. I always used #1 in my writings........but I have not written Urdu in last 10 years until this forum.

So.....please do not think I am an expert on Urdu. :p

Can you find some examples where #1 and #3 used?

i was reading a bbc article today and 3 was used, but it is the first time i have seen it spelt this way, i have come across 2 used more frequently though.

TAK said:
i was reading a bbc article today and 3 was used, but it is the first time i have seen it spelt this way, i have come across 2 used more frequently though.

BBC??? What do Brits know about Urdu? :p

Yes, you are right! In my case I have never seen # 3....always used #1 but I think, #2 is the correct one!

siddharth said:
I want to learn urdu ,seriously . so that bbc is the best site ?
the BBC site is hard to read. I just don't like the fonts and I have difficulty reading it. It is not to learn Urdu but it is news

siddharth said:
I want to learn urdu ,seriously . so that bbc is the best site ?

sidd, do you know any urdu?

the bbc site is not the place to learn Urdu, it is an Urdu site, the font problem is easilly overcome by clicking on the download urdu font in the top lefy hand corner.

TAK said:
sidd, do you know any urdu?

the bbc site is not the place to learn Urdu, it is an Urdu site, the font problem is easilly overcome by clicking on the download urdu font in the top lefy hand corner.
I don't know any thing about this language .But i would like to learn .what about teaching 5 words per day here :D

well the bbc site is no use to you

you start with 5 words in english and i will endeavour to translate

by the way do you speak a language other than english?

there is only one alphabet, containing err about 35 letters???

Last edited:
TAK said:
well the bbc site is no use to you

you start with 5 words in english and i will endeavour to translate

by the way do you speak a language other than english?
I can speak hindi also .Urdu pronounciation is similar to hindi ,right ?

Aap batayiye

1. Mein (I)

2.Tu (you)

3.Tum (you)

4.Aap(You)

5.hain (verb),haim ...

I will get you started,
I am sure you know hindi so it is just a matter of learning the sounds of the letters.

First of all we have accents instead of vowels for most words. So just place consonants next to each other and we'll know what you mean. As in tum is just TM.

Following are some of the main words and there sounds.

ا A, this is pretty much used as an A.
ب B, this B
پ P,
ت This is T as in Tau Kya Hua,Teri Maa, tum,
ٹ T, Tumaatar, Taklu
ج J
چ CH, Chacha Cricket
خ Kh...as in Khan the greatest caste in Pakistan
د This is Dhaal as in the stuff Indian fast bowlers eat
ڈ This Daal as in Sreesanth ko Dhaal Daal
ر R
ڑ This is R as in GuRia, stuff Akhtar plays with
س S
ش SH
ض Z
ف F
ک K
گ G (never used to make the J sound, G as Gadha, word used to describe fast bowlers from Pindi)
ل L
م M
ن N
و W
ی Y this is used as a Ya sound and used as a vowel like ee, AMEE
ے Y this is used as a Ya sound and used as a vowel to make the AY sound, as in GAY

Now type some message up and we'll teach you the finer details from there.

Last edited:
if you can converse in hindi yaar you can converse in urdu

if you are seriois u need to learn the script

Wazeeri ,thanks a lot .Let me learn those alphabets first .Then we can start sentences ,okay.

Just say a sentence using the list above.
Hit the ground running.

Last edited:

1. Mein (I) میں

2.Tu (you) تو

3.Tum (you) تم

4.Aap(You) آپ

5.hain (verb) ہیں

Sid

Another thing Urdu is written joint up,

So as TAK has written above

تم tum

This is ت م

mein is م ی ں joined up this looks like میں

Read right to left.

siddharth said:
I am trying to write this .Man very difficult :(

i know exactly what you mean, i re-learned to write urdu last year, it took me 3/4 months!!!

i just couldn't control my hands when writing from right to left, i literally used to turn the page 90 degrees to the left so it looked like i was writing downwards

but gradually the page straightened and the handwriting started to come!!!

TAK said:
i know exactly what you mean, i re-learned to write urdu last year, it took me 3/4 months!!!

i just couldn't control my hands when writing from right to left, i literally used to turn the page 90 degrees to the left so it looked like i was writing downwards

but gradually the page straightened and the handwriting started to come!!!
Thats very encouraging . I would try my best .

Btw what is that sign ,is it ''+'' or ''*''?

Last edited:
Wazeeri said:
I will get you started,
I am sure you know hindi so it is just a matter of learning the sounds of the letters.

First of all we have accents instead of vowels for most words. So just place consonants next to each other and we'll know what you mean. As in tum is just TM.

Following are some of the main words and there sounds.

ا A, this is pretty much used as an A.
ب B, this B
پ P,
ت This is T as in Tau Kya Hua,Teri Maa, tum,
ٹ T, Tumaatar, Taklu
ج J
چ CH, Chacha Cricket
خ Kh...as in Khan the greatest caste in Pakistan
د This is Dhaal as in the stuff Indian fast bowlers eat
ڈ This Daal as in Sreesanth ko Dhaal Daal
ر R
ڑ This is R as in GuRia, stuff Akhtar plays with
س S
ش SH
ض Z
ف F
ک K
گ G (never used to make the J sound, G as Gadha, word used to describe fast bowlers from Pindi)
ل L
م M
ن N
و W
ی Y this is used as a Ya sound and used as a vowel like ee, AMEE
ے Y this is used as a Ya sound and used as a vowel to make the AY sound, as in GAY

Now type some message up and we'll teach you the finer details from there.

Thank you for this Wazeeri, I am soooo out of reading practice, will willingly learn along with you chaps here.

Like I said guys the best way to learn is to jump right into it.

Type a few sentences using the info you have and you will be corrected and taught as you go along.

آپ

Wanted to write Aap kaisey hain,but couldn't find a way .

Last edited:
siddharth said:
آپ

Wanted to write Aap kaisey hain,but couldn't find a way .

آ پ
ک ی س ے

ہ ی ں

آپ کیسے ہیں ؟

Wazeeri said:
Like I said guys the best way to learn is to jump right into it.

Type a few sentences using the info you have and you will be corrected and taught as you go along.

What about girls? :) Or is this section like an exclusive, male-only domain?

مےرا بآت

guys i am a learner ,apologies in advance if i commit any huge error resulting in any sort of abusive word :13:

siddharth said:
مےرا بآت

guys i am a learner ,apologies in advance if i commit any huge error resulting in any sort of abusive word :13:
ساتہ میں انگریزی میں بہی لکہیّے
If you are not sure then plewase also write it in roman urdu or english too so it becomes easier to understand and not a guessing game :22:

people will be carefull answering your question because the answer might mean approval of marriage or something :|

Last edited:
12thMan said:
ساتہ میں انگریزی میں بہی لکہیّے
If you are not sure then plewase also write it in roman urdu or english too so it becomes easier to understand and not a guessing game :22:

people will be carefull answering your question because the answer might mean approval of marriage or something :|
Should i edit my post :(

filosofee said:
What about girls? :) Or is this section like an exclusive, male-only domain?

I am not sure about UK....but here in US, even girls refer to each other as "guys".....as in,
....you guys wanna go to movies?
....what you guys are doing?

filosofee said:
What about girls? Or is this section like an exclusive, male-only domain?

We'll make a special exception for you as you are on the Mods team.

Wazeeri said:
We'll make a special exception for you as

Why thank you!

W63L35: was kidding with my question but thanks anyway for being inclusive :)

How to use ''E''(pronouncing) as in Izzat or Kisi se....

''u'' .....as in Uddo ,then.....ooper

"I''(pronouncing ) as in......Aitraaz.

''o'' as in Ho ....then Aur ....

Thanks .

ah a good question siddhhart

izzat is written:

ع ز ت عزت

ooper is written:

اُ و پ ر اُوپر

aitraaz is written:

ا ع ت ر ا ض اعتراض

ho is written:

ہ و ہو

aur is written:

ا و ر اور

kissee sey is written:

ک س ی س ے کسی سے

Last edited:
filosofee said:
W63L35: was kidding with my question but thanks anyway for being inclusive :)

I did notice the simile but still clarified for a few PPers who tend to take things/word literally! :)

ٹاک بہت دنیاوآڈ

I wrote (tried) Tak bahut dhanyavaad . Was it correct ?

Last edited:
siddharth said:
ٹاک بہت دنیاوآڈ

Kamaal kardi hai, Siddarth. Shabaash :14: :14: , keep learning Urdu :19: .

By the way, always type in Roman Urdu as well so that we can get the clearer picture of what you meant exactly :) . You are a quick learner but sometimes one doesn´t understand what you typed.

Last edited:
Now that Siddarth has also learnt how to read/type Urdu it will be difficult for our poster The_Game to get away with after typing anything against them :26: .

I am learning .But the trouble is i can't read properly.i understood the letters .

But when i write them together ,it becomes another word in look and shape .This will take some time ,i know .

Any way thanks for the encouragement and support guys .i found this learning so interesting and fascinating.

DHONI183 said:
Now that Siddarth has also learnt how to read/type Urdu it will be difficult for our poster The_Game to get away with after typing anything against them :26: .
:))) :))) :))) .Game can continue his gaaliyaan ,i haven't learn to read yet .

siddharth said:
I wrote (tried) Tak bahut dhanyavaad . Was it correct ?

Sid.....you are amazing. I am impressed! Very close.....but here is the correct one;

ٹاک بہت دھنیا وآد

Last edited:
siddharth said:
I am learning .But the trouble is i can't read properly.i understood the letters .

But when i write them together ,it becomes another word in look and shape .This will take some time ,i know .

Any way thanks for the encouragement and support guys .i found this learning so interesting and fascinating.

very very impressive yaar, i have no idea what "dhanyavaad " means??

i hope you are being nice ??? :13:

ک م ا ل

ک ر

د ی ا

کمال کر دیا

Last edited:
Siddharath...........a little quiz for you?

ٹیندولکر، گنگولی، ڈریوڈ، شاہ رخ خان، بنگلور
سدھارتھ،بھارت،شاہدآفریدی،ممبئی،وسیم جعفر

there are:

4 indian cricketsr

1 pakistani crickter

2 indian cities

1 bollywood star

and and 1 obscure pp poster

first one first:

ٹ ی ن د و ل ک ر

=========================================
پرچی چل رھی ھے؟؟؟

TAK said:
first one first:

ٹ ی ن د و ل ک ر
This is nice .i need these elaborate explainations .

I am trying to write it on a paper but to combine letters and to split the word are quite difficult .

siddharth said:
This is nice .i need these elaborate explainations .

I am trying to write it on a paper but to combine letters and to split the word are quite difficult .

O´ ho´ Siddarth!!!! It´s name of the man for whom you almost fight daily here on PP ;-) ........ Got it :13: ??????????

DHONI183 said:
O´ ho´ Siddarth!!!! It´s name of the man for whom you almost fight daily here on PP ;-) ........ Got it :13: ??????????
Man ,i got that :D .

Moreover busy nowadays.Didn't revise my urdu lessons masters .Please don't punish me :( .

siddharth said:
Man ,i got that :D .

Moreover busy nowadays.Didn't revise my urdu lessons masters .Please don't punish me :( .

You must be punished as this is the part of learning anything in Pakistan (and perhaps in India, too) :133: :133: .

W63L35 said:
Siddharath...........a little quiz for you?

ٹیندولکر، گنگولی، ڈریوڈ، شاہ رخ خان، بنگلور

Tendulkar ,Kapil dev ,Dravid ,Zaheer Khan ,?. :23:

siddharth said:
Tendulkar ,Kapil dev ,Dravid ,Zaheer Khan ,?. :23:
:)) :))

Which one which!!!
BTW.....you got two out of 4 right! Thats pretty good! :19:

I wrote in the order itself . :D .Let me learn the way to combine the letters ,otherwise i can't read .

wow i am in love with this thread. might as well surprise my grandfather by learning a little urdu. Guys, one question can we write words like school, stool in urdu.

nikred said:
wow i am in love with this thread. might as well surprise my grandfather by learning a little urdu. Guys, one question can we write words like school, stool in urdu.
school

اسکول

stool

اسٹول

siddharth said:
How many alphabets are there in urdu ?
siddharth said:

Siddharth,

The most important thing is that almost each of 37 alphabets in urdu have 4 forms in which they can appear in a word and they are:

1. Initial This is when an alphabet is the first alphabet in a word but it is attached to the second alphabet.
  2. MedialThis is when an alphabet is present some where in between 2 alphabets and it is attached to both the preceding and the leading alphabet.
  3. Final This is when an alphabet is the last alphabet in a word but it is attached to the second last alphabet.
  4. DetachedThis is when an alphabet is staying independent and is appearing in its truest form :)

Check the link for all the forms in which the alphabets appear

http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/urdu-alphabet.html

why is that that a lot of the vowel marks are omitted. For instance, zer, pesh. Is this only for printing or are these also omitted when writing by hand.

Thanks

because an urdu reader can predict the vowel sounds without need for them to be written, it's not very often they are written and then only if there is a degree about the word

bit like the quran, the zabar zair pesh are written when the quran is for a non-arab reader, whilst qurans for arabs are minus the zabar zair pesh

I desperately need to learn Urdu...can speak it...read it bit, too but have problems in writing
n my question is y cant we have zabar zer paish in urdu ?????

SwEeT CaNdY said:
I desperately need to learn Urdu...can speak it...read it bit, too but have problems in writing
n my question is y cant we have zabar zer paish in urdu ?????
we do have zabar zer and paish in urdu.

waise those who can read quran properly, can learn reading urdu easily.

I'm bilingual (English and Spanish with some passable French) but I have massive respect for people who not only are bilingual but are so in a different alphabet.

OZGOD said:
I'm bilingual (English and Spanish with some passable French) but I have massive respect for people who not only are bilingual but are so in a different alphabet.

como estas amigo?

Back