Lowest Strike Rate in Powerplay Overs by Batters in T20 World Cups

Devadwal

Test Debutant
Runs
Babar Azam has a strike rate of 91.5 in powerplays which is the second lowest in T20 World Cup

Can he get going during the first six overs in this edition?

VwBdcrz.png

Last edited by a moderator:
King Bobby!!!

No intent to play aerial shots in the PP, bowl him a full toss outside off and he’ll place it beautifully between mid off and cover for a 4.

Add kamran akmal also ,i was really surprised after seeing this list .
probably something to do with the period when he played. JOhnson is an active cricketer. He only made 69 in 25 balls 2 days back. May be he catches up rapidly after a slow start.

Kamran played over a decade ago

According to stats from over a decade ago, Rizwan is a better T20 batsman than Adam Gilchrist
Please don't give them any ideas bro. I'm already tired of dealing with rizwan > Travis head, and babar > saeed anwar.

what the hell kamran is doing here in this list?

he was such a destructive openner in T20 cricket Pakistan ever had.
This is just a hoax that he was destructive. His career strike rate in 119.

You can call Imran Nazir, a destructive opener.

Among 50 plus balls highest strike rate in power play in world T20

Fin Allen 51 balls 95 runs 186.27 strike rate
Sharjeel khan 71 balls 108 runs 152.11 strike rate

Chris Gayle has not surprisingly has low strike rate. At times he take time to settle down before unleashing

Chri Gayle 205 ball 233 run 113.65 trike rate

Among 50 plus balls highest strike rate in power play in world T20

Fin Allen 51 balls 95 runs 186.27 strike rate
Sharjeel khan 71 balls 108 runs 152.11 strike rate

Chris Gayle has not surprisingly has low strike rate. At times he take time to settle down before unleashing

Chri Gayle 205 ball 233 run 113.65 trike rate
We can add fakhar zaman to that list as well. He is also a slow starter. Not sure what his strike rate is in PP?

If you began watching T20 cricket in 2007, it was just a shorter version of ODIs. However, since around 2015, it has transformed into a more aggressive format. I don't recall Kamran Akmal playing after 2015, so comparing him with today's batsmen isn't fair.

Even ODIs have evolved; scores of 400 were unheard of back then, and a strike rate of 80 was considered good in ODIs, while 120 was decent in T20s.

If you began watching T20 cricket in 2007, it was just a shorter version of ODIs. However, since around 2015, it has transformed into a more aggressive format. I don't recall Kamran Akmal playing after 2015, so comparing him with today's batsmen isn't fair.

Even ODIs have evolved; scores of 400 were unheard of back then, and a strike rate of 80 was considered good in ODIs, while 120 was decent in T20s.
Then these stats have no point because there is always a way out when these kinds of comparisons pops up.

Then these stats have no point because there is always a way out when these kinds of comparisons pops up.
Stats without context lack significance.

This is why averages for players like Babar and Rizwan, or Fakhar being considered the best batsman at number 4, hold no meaning without context.

For instance, if we rely solely on stats, as @mominsaigol mentioned yesterday,

Imad Wasim would be the best ODI number 7 Pakistani batsman ever because he averages over 40. However, his high average is due to numerous not outs, not because he's consistently scoring 40+ runs.

From what I recall, players like the Akmal brothers, Shahid Afridi, Nasir Jamshed, and Sharjeel were highly regarded, similar to how Fakhar is highly praised today.

There was no era in T20 where a sub 100 SR was acceptable in the powerplay.

it wasn't acceptable in Kami's time, and it's certainly not acceptable from Babar.

There was no era in T20 where a sub 100 SR was acceptable in the powerplay.

it wasn't acceptable in Kami's time, and it's certainly not acceptable from Babar.

That's not accurate even for openers. Kamran Akmal played until 2012, and between 2005 and 2012, only Shane Watson had a strike rate of 150, followed by Chris Gayle at 144 and David Warner at 138. Everyone else was below that mark. (Min 20 matches)

Since Babar Azam's debut in 2017, you've had Finn Allen with a strike rate of 163, Colin Munro in the 160s, and both Alex Hales and Jos Buttler in the 150s, along with many other openers striking in the 140s, 150s, and 160s.

De kock guptill sharma etc are all in their 140s when in kamis era it was only gayle

That's not accurate even for openers. Kamran Akmal played until 2012, and between 2005 and 2012, only Shane Watson had a strike rate of 150, followed by Chris Gayle at 144 and David Warner at 138. Everyone else was below that mark. (Min 20 matches)

Since Babar Azam's debut in 2017, you've had Finn Allen with a strike rate of 163, Colin Munro in the 160s, and both Alex Hales and Jos Buttler in the 150s, along with many other openers striking in the 140s, 150s, and 160s.

De kock guptill sharma etc are all in their 140s when in kamis era it was only gayle
I wasn't talking about below 138..How many were below 100 in the PP like Kamran?

@mominsaigol

Big Boss Sharjeel

Sitting at home whilst Rizwan plays for Pakistan
I have been watching sharjeel play for a while. Dude is a pace lacer, also I was impressed by how he played in Australia, every other player that we have is clueless against Bilo bounce.

But sharjeel is poor against spin

I have been watching sharjeel play for a while. Dude is a pace lacer, also I was impressed by how he played in Australia, every other player that we have is clueless against Bilo bounce.

But sharjeel is poor against spin
Unless it’s some dolly spinner like Shadab

Guys like Zampa, Adil Rashid, Sodhi and Shamsi will be smashed by him.

Unless it’s some dolly spinner like Shadab

Guys like Zampa, Adil Rashid, Sodhi and Shamsi will be smashed by him.
Sodhi, Shamsi yes.

Zampa and rashid will get him out. Regardless that doesn't matter.

The idea isn't to bat the full 20 overs like ignorant people here suggest. The idea is to utilise the PP, which sharjeel can, you can't bat full 20 overs every game. It's impossible, That's why the bobby/rizzu strat has caused us to go at no 7 cause only 4 outcomes happen against top sides.

A) Slow PP and then out causing the team to be crippled.

B) Early wickets putting pressure on 4/5/6.

C) Bat through and being 10-25 runs short.

D) Bat through and managing to chase supar totals at the 19th. Only occasionally against weak attack will 200 be chased.

Edit: By bat full 20, I meant for openers and single individuals only, not the entire team

Babar’s batting against mighty attack in the powerplay was embarrassing.

Lowest strike rate during powerplay in T20 World Cup (150+ balls)

87 - Babar Azam
93 - Kamran Akmal
93 - Johnson Charles
98 - Mohammad rizwan

Back