Michael Holding - Commentary Thread

Would appreciated if you could highlight any particular quote of his that makes you say that?

well i did laugh when he said "he (either ajmal or tanvir..can't remember) would have been out if it was a guyanese pitch"

He is not OTT biased, he loves WI Cricket and does go over-board sometimes but he is an awesome commentator

he is not just fustrated with west indies like many ex pakistani greats feel sad watching the pakistan current team

he's gunning for the home team naturally, but he smashes them when they stupid things as well.

Dujon is incredibly biased, some incredible comments from him.

Considering what a passionate cricketer he was, I think he conceals his bias well.

Last edited:
He is not OTT biased, he loves WI Cricket and does go over-board sometimes but he is an awesome commentator
He is anything but a commentator. He's an old man, who shouldn't be opening his mouth over the air. I respect his scathing views - but he can write them in a column or an article. Listening to him is like watching an ultra-tragic bollywood movie of the 80s.

Last edited by a moderator:
worst are his views on twenty20. like it or hate it, he should accept that t20 is here to stay. even going as far as saying t20 is not real cricket that is rude and uncalled for. only pretentious elitist snobs hate twenty20. why can't there be love for tests odis and twenty20 at the same time?

He is the Steve Bucknor of Comm box (I mean post 90's Steve Bucknor with loads of wrong decisions aka BIASED ones)

Just my opinion

he wears his heart on his sleeve. he's a wonderful person in the modern cricket world and just says what he actually thinks.

worst are his views on twenty20. like it or hate it, he should accept that t20 is here to stay. even going as far as saying t20 is not real cricket that is rude and uncalled for. only pretentious elitist snobs hate twenty20. why can't there be love for tests odis and twenty20 at the same time?

I hate T20s too, am also a 'pretentious elitist' snob? :yk

No way is he biased

The no of times I've seen him lay into the Windies side...

You expect some bias if your own team is playing but his bias isn't OTT. He generally talks about bowlers and bowling when he's on the air regardless if their West Indian or Pakistani.

I hate T20s too, am also a 'pretentious elitist' snob? :yk

maybe i generalized too much. but his views that he has never ever watched a t20 game and hates it is kinda rubbish. how can he judge it if he has never even seen the game? on the other hand, t20 has made tests more interesting with increased runrates, greater fielding standards, etc.

Holding loves the game, he is mint. People don't realise how much.

i dont hate holding. he is very frank and stands by his views unlike gavaskar who criticizes after the deed is done. just that i dont agree with some of his views. thats all.

Has everyone forgotten that he is a crucial part of the Sky Sports team, all year round. This guy watches a lot of cricket and knows all the teams well.

I don't think so.
I find most WI commies fun to listen.
I love their deep voices.:akhtar

well i did laugh when he said "he (either ajmal or tanvir..can't remember) would have been out if it was a guyanese pitch"

How is that being biased?
He was pointing put that this pitch has more bounce.

Favourite Holding quote 'I have never seen Mitchell Johnson bowl a good spell. People say he is unplayable on his day, but when's that?' (Brisbane 2010)

LOL!

What is the problem if he is biased. He is paid to give an opinion and thats what he does.

Common guys, You all were cheering Holding when he was blasting Gayle and IPL.

Double standards huh :))

Biased Commentators....

Which commentators have the most biased so far in cricket? I'd say in the current series Michael Holding.....others?

Wasim is very biased :))

No way is Holding overly biased obviously he wants the Windies to win and that may come across a bit but overall just a top top commentator.

the best commentator easily is bumble. the funniest is botham if only that when he criticizes a player for doing something wrong, it turns out to be a right move.

Holding is my favourite commentator he is equally harsh on both sides if not more on his own side.

Whenever he commentates in England for Sky, along with Atherton, he offers the best analysis and is always fair. He never sucks up to the English comms or goes along with them like our very own Rameez Raja did all last summer.

To call him biased is very unfair. Biased is such an ugly word - Like my History teacher says never use the word biased because we all are biased. We all have views that can be claimed to be biased to one side or another. Take the media for example nothing that is ever reported in the newspapers is ever done without bias as everyone has different views, in this case political, which leads to certain conclusions.

Overall, Holding is equally damning on both sides. Listen to him when both teams are bowling to taileneders - This series especially he has laid into the captsins, and rightfully so in my opinion, for having men on the boundary for the likes of Tanvir Ahmed and Rampaul when they are batting. Also, in the past he has severely criticised West Indies players and management, I remember when they were in England a few years back he didn't hold back in the criticism!

Funny stuff from Michael Holding - said that he mistakenly called Sarfaraz Ahmed Sarfaraz Nawaz during toss at start of 2nd Test at Leeds and no one noticed until Lunch time; He offered his apology to Sarf and family for that :)

Awesome commentator and awesome man. Gotta love him

The accent of Michael Holding is just accellent, gives some nice vibes when he is commentating.

One of the greatest players and one of the greatest commentators ever.

One of my favs ... love his accent.. Robin Jackson like ..

Michael Holding - I wouldn't play Jasprit Bumrah in England

If a bowler takes a match winning fifer you would expect commentators to praise him at least for a day before criticising him. This was earlier this year on the day Bumrah took a fifer against SA. Holding as ever has his own way of praising Bumrah, that he is not good enough for England.

JOHANNESBURG: West Indies legend Michael Holding has serious doubts over Jasprit Bumrah's ability as a new ball bowler and said his specific skills does not make him an automatic choice in the playing eleven during India's tour of England later this year.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...land-michael-holding/articleshow/62694965.cms

The “Whispering Death” has had the week of his life.

India winning, Pandya delivering with both bat and ball, and now Bumrah. Not to mention a third rate, classless comment on why the Indian players were wearing black bands.

Nonetheless, he deserves this humiliation.

Indians insecurities when it comes to Holding is hilarious.

He literally just said Bumrah's bouncer to Woakes was the best he has seen in a long time, but obviously you had your ears covered for that, didn't you?

India winning, Pandya delivering with both bat and ball, and now Bumrah. Not to mention a third rate, classless comment on why the Indian players were wearing black bands.

India hasn’t won the series. The celebrations from [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] are as hilarious as Pakistani fans celebrating the Zimbabwe ODI series win recently.

Lol looks like Michael Holding is to India what Ian Chappel is to Pakistan.

Indians insecurities when it comes to Holding is hilarious.

He literally just said Bumrah's bouncer to Woakes was the best he has seen in a long time, but obviously you had your ears covered for that, didn't you?

The Pakistanis coming in full force to defend Holding is even more hilarious. This is between the Indians and Holding.

India hasn’t won the series. The celebrations from [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] are as hilarious as Pakistani fans celebrating the Zimbabwe ODI series win recently.

This thread is not about India winning the series but so called expert commentary from Holding, who struggles to find anything good about Indian player even when someone takes a match winning fifer against SA. When Kohli has scored an excellent century in SA, his only comment was 'i ll wait before calling Kohli a great batsman until he performs in England'. It was so clear that someone wanted Kohli to fail in England.

Also, which part of what he said was wrong? If Bhuvi was fit, Bumrah (who has played 4 tests) would be the one most likely to miss out:

“I am not sure he is going to be a good new ball bowler. He struggles to take the ball away from right-handers when bowling with the new ball. So he wouldn’t be my first choice (on overseas tours). My first choice is always Bhuvneshwar Kumar,” Holding told PTI.

“Then I would think about Ishant Sharma and Mohammed Shami. When India play in England, pitches will be drastically different to South Africa. I wouldn’t play Bumrah because he bangs the ball in. Those pitches need someone to bowl so that the ball who kisses the surface and gets it to move around.”

“The Indian bowlers have done an excellent job. I will never fault them on this [South Africa] tour."

Maybe Pandya is using Mikeys words as motivation. But werent most Indians on here saying the same about Pandya or you Indians just angry at Mikey.

The Pakistanis coming in full force to defend Holding is even more hilarious. This is between the Indians and Holding.

:)))

That's not how it works.

Using your logic, he is talking about Bumrah so only Bumrah can respond and you should be quiet. :))

This thread is not about India winning the series but so called expert commentary from Holding, who struggles to find anything good about Indian player even when someone takes a match winning fifer against SA. When Kohli has scored an excellent century in SA, his only comment was 'i ll wait before calling Kohli a great batsman until he performs in England'. It was so clear that someone wanted Kohli to fail in England.

Why are the Indians so desperate for Mikey to say something nice. What are you, Kids in nursery?

I just find it hilarious that all these Indians are getting riled about Mikey. I think they are used to BCCI controlled commentary of Sunni and co and cant take the comments of one of the best fast bowlers ever to play the game.

Why are the Indians so desperate for Mikey to say something nice. What are you, Kids in nursery?

And why Pakistanis cheering and defending every foolish comment made by The Great Whispering Death
What are you ? Cheerleaders

Maybe Pandya is using Mikeys words as motivation. But werent most Indians on here saying the same about Pandya or you Indians just angry at Mikey.

Holding is an 80s player who is not regarded in India, so I don’t think Pandya will be looking at the bitter old man for inspiration.

His captain is one of the best players in history and a big fan, who has always backed him. I think that is all the motivation and inspiration Pandya needs.

Fair point, perhaps an overreaction but there are times when a few overhyped commentators need to be called out. After all what's the point of this forum if u don't give it back when the time come :)

It is not about India winning the series; it is about Holding getting humiliated which he deserves.

And why Pakistanis cheering and defending every foolish comment made by The Great Whispering Death
What are you ? Cheerleaders

Did you miss those crocodile tears over Amir right after he was banned at Lord's 2010?

I find it funny that Indians like [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] cant accept that each commentator has their own take.

Problem with Holding is that he clearly has a chip on his shoulder as far as India is concerned.

It is not about India winning the series; it is about Holding getting humiliated which he deserves.
Is his critique uncalled for?

He gives credit for when they do well and none when they perform poorly.

He may not like India but he’s not some anti-Indian demon spouting heaps of unwarranted abuse.

Is his critique uncalled for?

He gives credit for when they do well and none when they perform poorly.

He may not like India but he’s not some anti-Indian demon spouting heaps of unwarranted abuse.

He gives credit with gritted teeth. You can see that he is itching to see India fail.

Also, he deserves to be called out for the comment on why the Indians were wearing black bands.

Fair point, perhaps an overreaction but there are times when a few overhyped commentators need to be called out. After all what's the point of this forum if u don't give it back when the time come :)

Fair enough but if you give, then also take the other point of view. Ind have an excellent pmayers that has performed until this match, pretty woefully. I think the anger should be directed at the BCCI and Ravi rather Mickey. His comment on Wadekhar were insensitive but hardly require the attempted hate of Mikey.

My comment was a more general sentiment about your sudden regular presence on this forum and your obvious, improved mood since the past week.

Some of Holding’s comments on India have been unfair, I agree. The part about Pandya was spot on though.

He gives credit with gritted teeth. You can see that he is itching to see India fail.

Also, he deserves to be called out for the comment on why the Indians were wearing black bands.

And who are you to call him out. Do you pay his wages?

We should be quiet as "this is between the Indians and Holding." :)).

Really don't see what the big deal is, he said that Bhuvi, Ishant and Shami would be his preferred choices for England. The latter two have bowled well on the tour while Bhuvi has only missed out due to injury. It's not as though he said Bumrah is a rubbish bowler or anything.

It was a poor comment, that is not the issue.

The issue is people attributing his every critique of India as biased.

For example, I’ve noticed Jonty Rhodes as being extremely pro-India and even as you say, praising Pakistan with “gritted teeth”.

That does not mean everything he says of Pakistan is biased.

Back