Michael Holding - Commentary Thread

Here is a clip : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA1L_cDJEEI&t=27s

Iam sorry but there is no way in Gods green earth that you can say that a guy with that sort of bowling action is capable of bowling almost 150Ks ( 93MPH) . No way ... just not true.

My friend i have seen these clips on youtube but thats your opinion. Just as a little anecdote, in 1995 England went to the Windies in an era where Curtley at times was well over 90mph, Graeme Thorpe faced Clarke an ex Surrey team mate and he said that Clarke was the quickest bowler that he faced all tour and by then he was in his early 40s. Clarke was freakish

Here is a clip : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA1L_cDJEEI&t=27s

Iam sorry but there is no way in Gods green earth that you can say that a guy with that sort of bowling action is capable of bowling almost 150Ks ( 93MPH) . No way ... just not true.

Time doesn't go backwards. Cricket is big money now, and players have better training, motivation to spend their time getting better, more intensive coaching and better nutrition. It is odd to think that bowling speed has not gone up.

Look at the video of Clarke. Then watch the video of an actual 150 kph bowler Rabada. Switch back and forth between the two videos. The eyeball test should make it apparent that Clarke is considerably slower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7ufPF9JoZw

Michael Holding now looking a bit silly with his comments on Bumrah [MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION].

Full of praise for umpire S Ravi. Holding says a fair number of his decisions were reviewed, none overturned.

Holding is one of the best well-wishers of Pakistan cricket. I hope we can rope in as a bowling consultant somehow..

Mikey superb once again, brilliant and spot on regarding the Elgar decision which was overturned.

A man who says it how it is and isn't worried about upsetting folk.

Awful commentator. Smug and a little too pleased with himself. As bad as Rameez except that he's not searching for appropriate words or regurgitating inanities since English happens to be his native tongue.

Is he whining about some flat pitch from the 1980s and batsmen wearing helmets to make life difficult for him?

Anyone who says anything bad about Indians makes Holding a bad commentator? Is it possible to comment on his 'commentary' and not worry about perceived biases?

Applies to our Indian friends and their loyal supporters.

Anyone who says anything bad about Indians makes Holding a bad commentator? Is it possible to comment on his 'commentary' and not worry about perceived biases?

Naah dude it's not just about biases, everyone has their own biases, which is fine. Infact I anyday prefer naseer Hussain over cheerleaders team of Indian commies including bhogle, manjrekar etc. Holding is a hypocrite, atleast that's my issue with him. It's very rich for someone like him who pushed the umpires and kicked the stumps talk about players behavior. And if as a commentator he wants us to listen to his opinion then he shud be graceful enough to listen to other greats and not dismiss them, it goes against his job ethics. When Brian Lara criticised holding, his response was "I am not interested in Brian's opinions". I think applying same yardstick Indian fans don't need to be forcefully interested in his opinions.

Not biases but hypocrisy. He criticises players for playing the IPL, has nothing bad to say about the Kerry Packer circus.

He summarily criticises players behaviour but he himself was known to have kicked stumps when things didnot go his way.

As someone pointed out, when he is criticised he by even legends like Lara, he brushes them off with disdain. Its very difficult to take the comments of such a man seriously.

Lets not even go into his OTT statements about Indian players. Frankly speaking hardly anyone cares. There is a reason why he isnt welcome in India.

Last edited:
I always go on mute mode when I hear this egoist's voice or change channel if India is not playing.
He lives in 1982, mentally, all the time.

Not biases but hypocrisy. He criticises players for playing the IPL, has nothing bad to say about the Kerry Packer circus.

He summarily criticises players behaviour but he himself was known to have kicked stumps when things didnot go his way.

As someone pointed out, when he is criticised he by even legends like Lara, he brushes them off with disdain. Its very difficult to take the comments of such a man seriously.

Lets not even go into his OTT statements about Indian players. Frankly speaking hardly anyone cares. There is a reason why he isnt welcome in India.

O' Dada, the funniest bit came just about a couple of years ago. He went hammer and tons at the IPL, questioning why don't players get injured before the IPL, and how Test cricket has become secondary for the players all due to the evil IPL.

And yet about a month later after that, he spoke of how good his experience was in the Kerry Packer circus and how much he loved it.

Why did he opt to play for Kerry Packer? And why do the current players love the IPL? The factor is the same.

In my opinion, the best commentator after Bumble.

Many would disagree though.

Let me say it then. Holding is Rameez only with agreeable accented English.

If you put aside his perceived bias against the IPL (Indians care about that but no one else is really bothered about his views on IPL) or Indian cricket then you will realise that as a commentator, he does have valuable insight. He does offer tactical and technical insight into the game, which is why he has been retained by Sky for many years, and he is a respected and crucial component of their commentary lineup. In contrast, they did not want Ramiz during the Pakistan series despite the fact that there really aren't many options when it comes to Pakistani commentators.

I don't know why Indian posters can't let it go, we get it, you don't like him and possibly vice versa. That doesn't mean that others don't like him, or can't rate him as a commentator or value his insights. I have absolutely no concern about his views regarding the IPL while watching South Africa vs Pakistan. What concerns me is his commentary on the ongoing series. For example his views on Pakistani modern day batsmen struggling against pace and bounce because of the nature of the pitches, while in the older days, that was not the case as pitches weren't slow and green as they are now. Now expecting this insight from Ramiz is foolhardy, because he is widely believed to be culpable in the changes that have destroyed domestic cricket during his tenure as PCB CEO in 2003. Alongside that, Ramiz is known for not doing his homework about lesser known players and has very little to offer besides adjectives and adverbs.

Please don't compare the two. It's an insult to Holding.

Brilliant technical knowledge particularly of pace bowling.

There are commentators who are there just to please the local broadcasters, but Mikey is not one of those.

Brilliant technical knowledge particularly of pace bowling.

There are commentators who are there just to please the local broadcasters, but Mikey is not one of those.

Can listen to him all day. Deep insight and really says it like it is.

I like goutam gambhir the same way on pak cricketers.
Great insights on batting

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Michael Holding "Pakistan keep on fighting, that's one thing I have really enjoyed about them in this series" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SAvPAK?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SAvPAK</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1084066642542370817?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 12, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Superb once again today.

Seems that he is the only commentator actually praising Pakistani players when they do something well.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Michael Holding "Pakistan keep on fighting, that's one thing I have really enjoyed about them in this series" <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SAvPAK?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SAvPAK</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@Saj_PakPassion) <a href="https://twitter.com/Saj_PakPassion/status/1084066642542370817?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 12, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think this is a fair point. Also the fielding has certainly improved significantly over the last couple of years and there are fewer dropped catches. The bowling remains potent. The problem of course is the anaemic batting and the failure of Azhar and Shafiq to lift their game after the departures of Misbah and more especially Younis.

If you put aside his perceived bias against the IPL (Indians care about that but no one else is really bothered about his views on IPL) or Indian cricket then you will realise that as a commentator, he does have valuable insight. He does offer tactical and technical insight into the game, which is why he has been retained by Sky for many years, and he is a respected and crucial component of their commentary lineup. In contrast, they did not want Ramiz during the Pakistan series despite the fact that there really aren't many options when it comes to Pakistani commentators.

I don't know why Indian posters can't let it go, we get it, you don't like him and possibly vice versa. That doesn't mean that others don't like him, or can't rate him as a commentator or value his insights. I have absolutely no concern about his views regarding the IPL while watching South Africa vs Pakistan. What concerns me is his commentary on the ongoing series. For example his views on Pakistani modern day batsmen struggling against pace and bounce because of the nature of the pitches, while in the older days, that was not the case as pitches weren't slow and green as they are now. Now expecting this insight from Ramiz is foolhardy, because he is widely believed to be culpable in the changes that have destroyed domestic cricket during his tenure as PCB CEO in 2003. Alongside that, Ramiz is known for not doing his homework about lesser known players and has very little to offer besides adjectives and adverbs.

Please don't compare the two. It's an insult to Holding.

No idea why you are bringing in India and IPL into this. Is it so hard for you to believe that there are fans who objectively cannot stand Holding for his lack of insight, smugness, and all round boring drivel he inflicts on the listeners?

Or is it the case that your apparent love for Holding is *only* because he made his dislike for India and IPL so clear? Being a Pakistani, maybe that's why you admire him as a commentator?

See how easy it is to flip your argument around?

If I was honest, i never really care what they say. I have seen enough Cricket in my lifetime to know what's going on.

No idea why you are bringing in India and IPL into this.

Because that's what Indian posters seem to be focused on.

Is it so hard for you to believe that there are fans who objectively cannot stand Holding for his lack of insight, smugness, and all round boring drivel he inflicts on the listeners?

There has to be some basis for saying he has no insight. I just pointed out how he does his research and analyses things. Not sure what you mean by 'smugness', if you mean that in terms of how he rates players then yeah, as with most players, he probably does give more weightage to players from the older eras. 'Boring drivel' is entirely subjective and depends on what a viewer is looking for, most people want entertainment over substance, like with Ramiz, but I will take the 'boring' Bazid over him any day.

Or is it the case that your apparent love for Holding is *only* because he made his dislike for India and IPL so clear?

Whatever floats your boat. I listen to him in Test matches, don't really know much about his views on the IPL though I am aware his dislikes T20s with a passion.

Whatever floats your boat. I listen to him in Test matches, don't really know much about his views on the IPL though I am aware his dislikes T20s with a passion.

Except when he is paid to be an Ambassador - no less - of the Caribbean Premier League.

Because that's what Indian posters seem to be focused on.

So according to you it's ok to paint posters from a certain country with the same broad brush instead of responding to them based on their arguments. Why am I not surprised :)

Perhaps it says more about your prejudice than the ones you are terming as biased.

There has to be some basis for saying he has no insight. I just pointed out how he does his research and analyses things. Not sure what you mean by 'smugness', if you mean that in terms of how he rates players then yeah, as with most players, he probably does give more weightage to players from the older eras. 'Boring drivel' is entirely subjective and depends on what a viewer is looking for, most people want entertainment over substance, like with Ramiz, but I will take the 'boring' Bazid over him any day.
Of course there is a basis. He does zero homework, as I found out listening to him during India's tour of South Africa. His arguments come from a place of firm likes and dislikes howsoever mistaken they are. His analysis is garbage, Bumrah being the prime example of that. His cricketing views are in black and white, suggesting he's not a thinker of any sorts...

Like I said, yours and the general love fest with Holding on this forum is rooted in his amusing hate for IPL and by extension, India.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except when he is paid to be an Ambassador - no less - of the Caribbean Premier League.

Seriously? That's pretty weak tbf...

So according to you it's ok to paint posters from a certain country with the same broad brush instead of responding to them based on their arguments. Why am I not surprised :)

Perhaps it says more about your prejudice than the ones you are terming as biased.

Of course there is a basis. He does zero homework, as I found out listening to him during India's tour of South Africa. His arguments come from a place of firm likes and dislikes howsoever mistaken they are. His analysis is garbage, Bumrah being the prime example of that. His cricketing views are in black and white, suggesting he's not a thinker of any sorts...

Like I said, yours and the general love fest with Holding on this forum is rooted in his amusing hate for IPL and by extension, India.

I can't discuss his commentary during India's tour of SA as I didn't watch much of it. Will take your word for it regarding 'zero homework'. I'm speaking about his commentary for the current series.

Not rating Bumrah in Tests isn't a crime, his action is unorthodox and many people thought he won't have a long career or have success in Tests. Props to him for proving them wrong, and more.

My appreciation of Holding is based on his commentary, I've always found the Sky crew (Nasser, Athers, Gower, Holding etc.) to be well informed, insightful and interesting. Can't speak for anyone else.

I disagree with him. Fight was one of the things Pakistan lacked this series.

Seriously? That's pretty weak tbf...

I can't discuss his commentary during India's tour of SA as I didn't watch much of it. Will take your word for it regarding 'zero homework'. I'm speaking about his commentary for the current series.

Not rating Bumrah in Tests isn't a crime, his action is unorthodox and many people thought he won't have a long career or have success in Tests. Props to him for proving them wrong, and more.

My appreciation of Holding is based on his commentary, I've always found the Sky crew (Nasser, Athers, Gower, Holding etc.) to be well informed, insightful and interesting. Can't speak for anyone else.

Think you are struggling a little bit here. I don't care and nor do I have a quarrel if you find Holding interesting. Be my guest and soak in all his wisdom. I find him a charlatan, a dull and lazy commentator who's suffered because of his feats on the cricket field. Similar to Botham.

My problem is that you choose to taint my opinion because I am an Indian. I am saying that being an admin on this forum, you should raise your own standard a little bit and learn to live with a differing opinion. This means no underhanded suggestion that my opinion is colored because I am an Indian or IPL fan.

Think you are struggling a little bit here. I don't care and nor do I have a quarrel if you find Holding interesting.

If you go further up on this page, you'll find that you were the one who replied to someone, disagreeing with Holding being a better commentator then Ramiz.

My problem is that you choose to taint my opinion because I am an Indian.

No one's opinion is 'being tainted', I simply pointed out that there is a recurring theme here - Indian posters don't rate him, others do. What I literally said in my initial reply was that that Holding is a far better commentator than Ramiz and pointed out a few reasons why. You have a different opinion, sure, but you were the one to first insist that Holding is similar to or worse than Ramiz, when someone said they shouldn't be compared. If you want to further that initial comparison, go ahead.

If you go further up on this page, you'll find that you were the one who replied to someone, disagreeing with Holding being a better commentator then Ramiz.

No one's opinion is 'being tainted', I simply pointed out that there is a recurring theme here - Indian posters don't rate him, others do. What I literally said in my initial reply was that that Holding is a far better commentator than Ramiz and pointed out a few reasons why. You have a different opinion, sure, but you were the one to first insist that Holding is similar to or worse than Ramiz, when someone said they shouldn't be compared. If you want to further that initial comparison, go ahead.

What has my preference for Ramiz over Holding got to do with the fact that your first reply to me was that my opinion cannot be taken seriously because I am supposedly ******** from Holding slagging off IPL and India or whatever. You are once again confusing issues. :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out that Indian fans aren't really neutral when it comes to judging Michael Holding's commentary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems Mikey really hurt some Indian feelings! The need to attack him by some is well, rather, funny!

He says it how it is irrespective of who his employers are.

Unbiased, technically superb, lots of knowledge and a gentleman.

Michael Holding during live commentary said: "Pakistan should play semi-final if they beat Bangladesh. NRR should be the last thing to be considered. If there are equal wins and points then decision must be made with the result of encounter between both teams. Since Pakistan defeated New Zealand so they should play semi-final"

Thoughts?

Michael Holding during live commentary said: "Pakistan should play semi-final if they beat Bangladesh. NRR should be the last thing to be considered. If there are equal wins and points then decision must be made with the result of encounter between both teams. Since Pakistan defeated New Zealand so they should play semi-final"

Thoughts?

I think NRR is better indicator because it shows how the team did in the whole tournament. So, can't agree with Holding here.

Thoughts?

Michael Holding is right.

I agree with him wholeheartedly

Pakistan’s resurgence has been phenomenal if they beat bangladesh by even 1 run in my eyes they deserve more than even England to be in semis as the 3rd best team of the tournament

Remember Pakistan would have won easily against Sri Lanka.

Thoughts?

Has he already started shedding tears? The rule of NRR was in place to reward teams for good performance in long tournament and also to avoid any issue if more than 2 teams end up with same points.

Back