Michael Vaughan cleared 'on balance of probabilities' of using racist language towards Azeem Rafiq

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Vaughan's media career and whether the media outlets that he had contracts with will still retain him.

So 3 out of 4 cricketers heard him the say the racist phrase but the panel decides hes not guilty on the balance og probability?

Makes sense

Rashid's testimony turned into a bit of a mess when he claimed he had a very clear recollection of the incident and than recollected a quite different phrasing to what Rafiq claimed was said whilst Naved was largely ignored in the process after he refused to provide an official witness statement (despite previously telling the media he would be happy to).

its obvious in the context of how their careers developed, it meant a lot more to rafiq than rashid, hence the likelihood of him remembering it as vividly are smaller. rashid himself said he took it as bad humour.

I'm no vaughan fan, but rafiq is also not very likable imo, and as much as these things shouldn't be a factor, they usually end up being. on the balance of it, charging someone with making a racist statement, 15 years after the fact, on inconsistent witness testimony was gonna be impossible.

Nice to see Vaughan cleared of this ridiculous accusation. Rafiq owes Vaughan an apology.

I'm glad Vaughan been acquitted and this ridiculous case thrown out.

All Vaughan was guilty off was a bit of dry humour .

There's too many of you lot

That was the allegation what he said.

I'm glad Vaughan been acquitted and this ridiculous case thrown out.

All Vaughan was guilty off was a bit of dry humour .

There's too many of you lot

That was the allegation what he said.

Depends very much if it was dry humour or if it was humour masking his actual real feelings. Yorkshire has long had a reputation of shutting out Asian talent from their locality, I'm pretty sure we've had posters here who have alluded to it from personal experience. Rafiq might not be a role model himself, but he's done the game a favour by speaking up. It would have been a lot easier to take the easy route and just stay quiet. He's moved out of the county as far as I know, would imagine it would be pretty hard living there after bringing a case against a Yorkshire hero.

Rafiq was courageous in raising this issue to initiate some change but am glad Vaughan has been cleared, was a fan of his, must have been very tough on the lad

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael Vaughan considered moving to Australia after accusations of racist language towards Asian players had a serious affect on his wife's mental health.

Vaughan has had to contend with the court of public opinion while lengthy legal proceedings took place, which left his wife Nichola waking up in the middle of the night in tears.

"She has struggled more than anybody I've seen," Vaughan said in the Sunday Telegraph. "I've been around cricketers who have struggled with mental health, but never someone so close.

"She's better today, but it's going to take time. It's going to take time for me to recover, too. I'm not asking for anyone to feel sorry for me at all. I just want people to realise that this is what you go through when you get cancelled."

Vaughan opened up on what experiencing so-called 'cancel culture' entails.

"I can absolutely tell you that it's real," he added.

"And it comes through social media. It's so dangerous. You used to be innocent until proven guilty. You're now guilty until proven innocent. Your life gets completely put on hold.

"Whatever the accusation thrown at you, people on social media just will not allow you to carry on with your life while it's over your head."

Vaughan has considered moving to Australia, where he works for Fox Sports, after feeling he had more support from those on the other side of the world.

"I've thought about moving to Australia," he added. "When you think about my time in English cricket, I feel I've given a half-decent service.

"But there has been more support from Australia than there has from here in the UK, in terms of cricket. The Australians haven't taken any side.

"They haven't said 'we believe you' or 'we don't believe you'. They've just been ringing regularly to ask: 'Are you all right, mate?' Sometimes, all you want is for people to check in on you."

Rafiq on Vaughan ruling: 'I disagree but I'll accept it'
Azeem Rafiq said he felt "vindicated" as seven out of eight of the charges were upheld, adding with regards to Vaughan's ruling: "I disagree with the finding. But I'll accept it."

Rafiq told Sky Sports News: "I don't want to get hung up on one individual. This is a wider issue.

"All the pain and the hurt of the last two-and-a-half years, it has been challenging for everyone concerned. Most importantly for me, if there is going to be any good out of it, we've got to really take stock, reflect, learn and the game has got to get better.

"Anyone with a sane mind will accept now that the game has not been a place for everyone."

Rafiq added in a statement: "Charges against seven of the eight defendants, including the widespread use of the '(racial slur)' word, have been upheld by the CDC [on Friday]. This comes in addition to the other reports, panels and inquiries that found I and others suffered racial harassment and bullying while at Yorkshire.

"The issue has never been about individuals but the game as a whole. Cricket needs to understand the extent of its problems and address them. Hopefully, the structures of the game can now be rebuilt and institutionalised racism ended for good. It's time to reflect, learn and implement change.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/cri...p&cvid=4fda5c228d2b45be977fe2f5ea121180&ei=31

Former England captain Michael Vaughan is reportedly set to hold talks over a return to the BBC.

Vaughan, 48, has not worked for the BBC since he was charged by the ECB last year for allegedly using racist language towards Yorkshire teammates. Last week, he was cleared of racism with the charge 'not proved' by the Cricket Discipline Commission.

He had worked as a commentator for Test Match Special since 2009 and was initially suspended when the allegations came to light. Vaughan returned to work last year but announced plans to 'step back' after emails were sent from BBC diversity groups slamming his continued employment.

The Times reports Vaughan could return for England's next Test against Ireland in June as they step up their preparations for this summer's Ashes.

He will soon travel to India to work on the Indian Premier League, which reaches its conclusion on May 28, after some time in Augusta to watch the Masters.

A BBC spokesperson said: “We note the findings by the Cricket Discipline Commission in relation to Michael Vaughan. Michael is not currently under contract with the BBC, although we have remained in touch with him throughout the process."

Vaughan vowed to 'create positive change in cricket' when he discussed the verdicts reached by the Cricket Discipline Commission on Friday, insisiting there had been "no winners" in the incident.

And the 2005 Ashes winner admitted he feared his life would be over, had he been found guilty of using racist language.

Speaking to the Sunday Telegraph, he said: “I got a sense people wanted to see the back of me. When I was walking the streets during the night, I genuinely was thinking, ‘I’ll have to do without English cricket. I’ll have to move overseas.’ I’ve been telling people that I’ve not been watching cricket, putting this screen up to suggest that I could do without it. But cricket is my life. It’s all I really know.”

Vaughan also suggested he had thought about moving to Australia, due to the lack of support he has received from inside his home country, adding: "When you think about my time in English cricket, I feel I’ve given a half-decent service. But there has been more support from Australia than there has from here in the UK, in terms of cricket. "

Mirror

Former England captain Michael Vaughan will return to the BBC for this summer's men's Ashes series and the Test match against Ireland.

Vaughan has worked as a pundit since retiring from playing in 2009 but stepped back in June after he was accused of using racist language towards former team-mate Azeem Rafiq during their time at Yorkshire.

The 48-year-old denied the allegation.

He was cleared by the Cricket Discipline Commission in March.

Vaughan was accused of saying "there's too many of you lot, we need to have a word about that" to Rafiq and team-mates Adil Rashid, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and Ajmal Shahzad during a Yorkshire match in 2009.

He was charged along with Yorkshire County Cricket Club and six other former players with bringing the game into disrepute, following a nine-month investigation by the England and Wales Cricket Board.

The panel said it was "not satisfied on the balance of probabilities" that the words were said by Vaughan "at the time and in the specific circumstances alleged".

He was not involved in BBC coverage of the 2021-22 Ashes series in Australia but returned in March 2022, before stepping back three months later.

He has since apologised for sending "disgusting" historical tweets which were brought to his attention in a 2021 BBC interview.

At the time of the panel's verdict, Vaughan posted on social media that the outcome "must not be allowed to detract from the core message that there can be no place for racism in the game of cricket, or in society generally".

Vaughan captained England in Tests between 2003 and 2008 and led them to success in the 2005 Ashes.

He played his entire domestic career at Yorkshire - between 1993 and 2009 - before becoming a summariser on Test Match Special and later a commentator for BBC TV, BT Sport and Australia's Fox Sports.

BBC

Back