Michael Vaughan cleared 'on balance of probabilities' of using racist language towards Azeem Rafiq

I suspect that [MENTION=149166]Technics 1210[/MENTION] is being mischievous, but some other posters baffle and sadden me.

It's just a few though. (Technics, Mamoon Rajdeep) if that is correct? The rest can see that Azeem is telling the truth, may not be perfect but is sincere and not out for revenge.
Also, if Azeem got some money and didn't give it to charity (which he did offcourse), thats upto him. He has a right to that compensation, and which saint here would say no to money they deserve? Why should he have not taken that. Good on him.

I suspect that [MENTION=149166]Technics 1210[/MENTION] is being mischievous, but some other posters baffle and sadden me.

You know me too well! ;)
[MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] The reason why the majority of Azeem's doubters are Asians is because British born Asians have faced far far worse in terms of racism which frankly makes this case look like a summer picnic. I personally find it hard to digest that Azeem was pinned down and forced to drink alcohol. This is a crime within itself and should've been reported at the time. What is also true that living in an Asian community in the UK gives me the insight on how Asians behave and perceive towards the 'evil white man'. It is absolutely true that if Asians fail they blame racism as the first cause but will keep quiet aslong as the salary arrives every month.

Casual racism (which what this case is) isn't going anywhere, but it's institutional racism that needs eliminating and if this was 30 years ago the current composition of Asians in both county and national teams would be unheard of and unthinkable. UK has made great progress.

As for Vaughan, he is absolutely correct, what he said wasn't racist.

Azeem is a lucky guy, he arrived in the UK at 10, had a career in cricket for over 10 years and achieved more that what most Asian cricketers could ever dream of. So lucky he is I doubt he's ever faced the true horrors of racism in the UK - being chased and beaten up by members of the NF/C18, having fire bottles thrown at your door, or bricks through the home windows, GBH on the way home from school, knifed, kidnapped, discrimination at School and offices. Azeem's just been a victim of verbal racism which is why the is Asian doubters are effectively telling to man up cos he ain't experienced what the rest of did during the 70s/80s.

You know me too well! ;)

[MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] The reason why the majority of Azeem's doubters are Asians is because British born Asians have faced far far worse in terms of racism which frankly makes this case look like a summer picnic. I personally find it hard to digest that Azeem was pinned down and forced to drink alcohol. This is a crime within itself and should've been reported at the time. What is also true that living in an Asian community in the UK gives me the insight on how Asians behave and perceive towards the 'evil white man'. It is absolutely true that if Asians fail they blame racism as the first cause but will keep quiet aslong as the salary arrives every month.

Casual racism (which what this case is) isn't going anywhere, but it's institutional racism that needs eliminating and if this was 30 years ago the current composition of Asians in both county and national teams would be unheard of and unthinkable. UK has made great progress.

As for Vaughan, he is absolutely correct, what he said wasn't racist.

Azeem is a lucky guy, he arrived in the UK at 10, had a career in cricket for over 10 years and achieved more that what most Asian cricketers could ever dream of. So lucky he is I doubt he's ever faced the true horrors of racism in the UK - being chased and beaten up by members of the NF/C18, having fire bottles thrown at your door, or bricks through the home windows, GBH on the way home from school, knifed, kidnapped, discrimination at School and offices. Azeem's just been a victim of verbal racism which is why the is Asian doubters are effectively telling to man up cos he ain't experienced what the rest of did during the 70s/80s.

Give over man. Just because you grew up in an era where NF/C18 was around, doesn't mean verbal abuse is ok today. Don't try and pass yourself off as some inside expert on the Asian community by claiming "all Asians" cry racism then keep quiet when the salary comes in every month. It's precisely that type of casual racist comment which belies your own inferiority complex.

You had a mollycoddled existence growing up in an Asian community, you are in no place to comment about the wider experience. Try growing up in a white council estate where you would get dogs set on you walking through the streets. Just because you think casual racism is ok because that was your childhood, doesn't mean that today's generation should have to feel like second class citizens.

Give over man. Just because you grew up in an era where NF/C18 was around, doesn't mean verbal abuse is ok today. Don't try and pass yourself off as some inside expert on the Asian community by claiming "all Asians" cry racism then keep quiet when the salary comes in every month. It's precisely that type of casual racist comment which belies your own inferiority complex.

You had a mollycoddled existence growing up in an Asian community, you are in no place to comment about the wider experience. Try growing up in a white council estate where you would get dogs set on you walking through the streets. Just because you think casual racism is ok because that was your childhood, doesn't mean that today's generation should have to feel like second class citizens.

Liar. Where did I say causal racism is ok? Cite me, I dare you.

Given you are ashamed of your heritage, the false accusations are no surprise.

Of course you don’t not deny the racism of the 70s/80s, which proves my point on many levels.

Last edited:
What Vaughan said could be banter depending on the context.

I grew up in an area where Asians were a small minority. White friends make jokes about Asian culture, I then return with similar jokes about theirs. This is normal in English humour.

It becomes different when its only a one way joke, along with those joking with you are coming from poor intentions.

The key is discrimination or outward racist words/slurs.

Unless there are other examples, its unfair to tarnish Vaughan as a racist.

Dont get personal with each other and stay on topic.

I grew up in an area where Asians were a small minority. White friends make jokes about Asian culture, I then return with similar jokes about theirs. This is normal in English humour.

It becomes different when its only a one way joke, along with those joking with you are coming from poor intentions.

Thing is, that's an almost impossible line for someone to walk without falling on the wrong side of it occasionally.

I suspect you are right in that Vaughan felt he had a good relationship with perhaps some of the players he was talking to and made the comment in the spirit you suggest, almost to indicate to those he didn't know as well that "I'm cool, me and player X & Y can joke about this stuff"...

But clearly Vaughan was blind to the undercurrents these guys were feeling and being exposed to at the time/previous so it probably went down like a lead balloon.

Liar. Where did I say causal racism is ok? Cite me, I dare you.

Given you are ashamed of your heritage, the false accusations are no surprise.

Of course you don’t not deny the racism of the 70s/80s, which proves my point on many levels.

I asked you previously to give examples of me being ashamed of my heritage, since you made that claim first, please provide at least one, then we can get round to your own demands re 'causal' racism.

Thing is, that's an almost impossible line for someone to walk without falling on the wrong side of it occasionally.

I suspect you are right in that Vaughan felt he had a good relationship with perhaps some of the players he was talking to and made the comment in the spirit you suggest, almost to indicate to those he didn't know as well that "I'm cool, me and player X & Y can joke about this stuff"...

But clearly Vaughan was blind to the undercurrents these guys were feeling and being exposed to at the time/previous so it probably went down like a lead balloon.

It was not a malicious comment. It was an attempt at humour.

English humour involves a lot of poking fun at others, especially when there is a power dynamic. From my experience they are not as humorous when the shoe is on the other foot and they are being made fun of e.g. try to make fun of their queen or obsession with world wars / military and you will see the response you get.

If Vaughan is really innocent, you would have thought at least one of the four Asian cricketers involved would have come to his defence. Instead 3 of the 4 have corroborated the story. I get that it might have been banter, but if it was, why are none of them saying that? There are obviously some ill feelings there, banter or not.

A lot of white knights (they know who they are) in this thread have been exposed and humiliated after Rafiq’s anti-Semitic texts.

Rafiq owes these people an apology. He has let them down and humiliated them.

A lot of white knights (they know who they are) in this thread have been exposed and humiliated after Rafiq’s anti-Semitic texts.

Rafiq owes these people an apology. He has let them down and humiliated them.

I think a message here and there is nothing compared to what Azeem went through for many years.

If Vaughan is really innocent, you would have thought at least one of the four Asian cricketers involved would have come to his defence. Instead 3 of the 4 have corroborated the story. I get that it might have been banter, but if it was, why are none of them saying that? There are obviously some ill feelings there, banter or not.

In that huddle there must have been 11 players:

Vaughan
4 Asian lads
And 6 others

None of the 6 have yet defended Vaughan which I'm guessing he is waiting for.

I really wonder what life experiences people on this forum have had. Now ignoring our resident troll nut case, the others just seem to be I denial that racism doesn't exist because they live a happy life and that since its not something they face daylight day out azeem must be a liar..its nonsensical.

There is a big difference between being chased by the nf in the 70's and modern institutional racism. At least you know the nf are out to get you.

Exactly, not everyone was aware of the extreme bullying.

They may have assumed Vaughan was joining in on the bullying of Azeem.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan will not be involved in the BBC's coverage of the Ashes in Australia.

Vaughan was named in Yorkshire's report into Azeem Rafiq's claims of racism during his time at the club.

The 47-year-old, who was stood down from his BBC Radio 5 Live show earlier in November, will also not be involved in the BBC's "wider coverage of the sport at the moment".

Vaughan has repeatedly denied the allegation made against him.

England will play five Tests against Australia, with the first starting on 8 December in Brisbane.

Vaughan joined the BBC's Test Match Special radio team as a summariser in 2009.

"While he is involved in a significant story in cricket, for editorial reasons we do not believe that it would be appropriate for Michael Vaughan to have a role in our Ashes team or wider coverage of the sport at the moment," said a BBC statement.

"We require our contributors to talk about relevant topics and his involvement in the Yorkshire story represents a conflict of interest."

BBC

Last edited:
The issue here is how does Vaughan prove he didn't say what he is alleged to have said.

Really tough situation when a few people are saying you made a comment but nobody has backed you up with your version of events.

He will not work in the British media again.

Should have come clean and put his hand up.

Vaughan is the biggest loser from the events of the last couple of weeks.

It may have been banter at the time, smiling but he should have admitted it and put his hands up. Sorry to cause offence.

By lying he blew it.

I think it's a bit early to say that just yet.

Plenty of ways this story can unfold as yet.

I'm pretty sure he'll be back in the media. This is just gesturing, everything calms down by next year. Has any one read the points from the ecb meeting? It's tick boxing on steroids.

Memory man Rafiq had totally forgotten about his own racist past to the point that his racist posts were still in the public domain all most 48 hours after his amateur dramatics at the DCMS committee...

But bizarrely, he can remember a comment Vaughan is alleged to have made!

I for one don't believe most of what he says...he's drunk his career away, is on a huge guilt trip since God miraculously entered his life, but the now "practicing Muslim" has no qualms about lying through his back teeth...

Anybody who's ever upset him has been named and shamed with cock and bull stories being attributed to each to build up his case, even his own former best mate, who he's never forgiven for having the audacity to drop him, hasn't been spared from his wrath.

As they say, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

But bizarrely, he can remember a comment Vaughan is alleged to have made!

I for one don't believe most of what he says

You haven't outright said what you believe in this particular case, so I may as well ask.

Do you think Rafiq made up what Vaughan said? If so, does that also make Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and Adil Rashid liars? Did those 3 collude to lie together, or did the other 2 just tag along even though they didn't actually remember?

Genuinely asking what you believe.

Michael Vaughan Disappointed as BBC Removes Former England Captain From The Ashes Coverage

London, Nov 24: BBC has announced on Friday that former England captain Michael Vaughan has been removed from the BBC coverage panel for the upcoming Ashes series between Australia and England.

The decision came after the Englishman was involved in the racism controversy involving former Yorkshire player Azeem Rafiq.

“While he is involved in a significant story in cricket, for editorial reasons we do not believe that it would be appropriate for Vaughan to have a role in our Ashes team or wider coverage of the sport at the moment,” the BBC said in a statement.

“We require our contributors to talk about relevant topics and his involvement in the Yorkshire story represents a conflict of interest.”

Vaughan has “categorically” denied making the remark and claimed his reputation is being “trashed unfairly”.

Responding to the BBC’s decision, Vaughan said he is “very disappointed not to be commentating for TMS on the Ashes and will miss working with great colleagues and friends”.

He added that he is “looking forward to being behind the mic for @foxcricket in Australia”.

“The issues facing cricket are bigger than any individual case and I want to be part of the solution, listening, educating myself, and helping to make it a more welcoming sport for all,” Vaughan said on Instagram.

The 47-year-old, who was stood down from his BBC Radio 5 Live show earlier in November, will also not be involved in the BBC’s “wider coverage of the sport at the moment”.

Vaughan has repeatedly denied the allegation made against him. England will play five Tests against Australia, with the first starting on 8 December in Brisbane. He joined the BBC’s Test Match Special radio team in 2009.

Vaughan wrote in his Daily Telegraph column that he “totally denies” making the comment.

In a statement made earlier in November, Vaughan said, “I categorically deny saying the words attributed to me by Azeem Rafiq and want to re-state this publicly because the ‘you lot’ comment simply never happened.

“It is extremely upsetting that this completely false accusation has been made against me by a former team-mate, apparently supported by two other players.”

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news...gland-captain-from-the-ashes-coverage-1006702

Cricket analyst known for his roles on channel 4 and channel 5 in the UK Simon Hughes has been released from his contract with the cricketer magazine for his comments on trying to justify Ballance P**i slur.

BT Sport is reviewing plans to use Fox Sports commentary for its coverage of this winter's Ashes series.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan is currently part of the Australian broadcaster's team.

He was named in Yorkshire's report into Azeem Rafiq's claims of racism at the club, but has repeatedly denied the allegation made against him.

On Wednesday the BBC said Vaughan would not be part of its coverage for the five-Test series in Australia.

BT Sport holds the UK TV rights for the Ashes between England and Australia and had planned to take the audio feed from Fox Sports, one of the Australian rights holders.

BT Sport said the recent report into the Yorkshire racism scandal was "extremely disappointing" and a "concern for all".

"Given these recent events, we are reviewing and discussing our commentary plans with Cricket Australia," a statement read.

The first Test begins on 8 December in Brisbane.

BBC

You haven't outright said what you believe in this particular case, so I may as well ask.

Do you think Rafiq made up what Vaughan said? If so, does that also make Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and Adil Rashid liars? Did those 3 collude to lie together, or did the other 2 just tag along even though they didn't actually remember?

Vaughan is not the most popular man in Yorkshire...fact...quite possible that Rashid, along with a host of others, has a beef with him.

I find it odd, considering he was at Yorkshire for much of the time that Rafiq was, and given the fact that Rafiq has referenced incidents involving him to support his claims of institutional racism including the alledged treatment of Rashid by YCCC following the death of his grandmother, that he has only come forward to support him on one particular point.

Rashid is in a position to corroborate much of what Rafiq has said but thus far has only stuck his head above the parapet to incriminate Vaughan.

I don't believe much of what Rafiq has said, some of it is downright lies, coupled with fabrications and half truths concocted after being dropped from the team back in 2018.

References to Adil Rashid in Rafiq's statement, including outing him as a former drinker. As I've said, Rashid has not commented on any of these far more serious alleagtions, but has chosen to publicly comment on the alleged Vaughan comment, perhaps in future he will...

Adil Rashid, Ajmal Shazad and I would often be referred to as “you lot” and asked to go and
sit separately from the rest of the majority white team, isolating us and singling us out as the
other

All Asian players (with non-English names) were referred to by the same, generic English
name. For example, we were all called “Kevin”

At different times, Adil Rashid and I were both accused by fellow players of “faking injuries”,
an accusation I had never heard levelled at white British players.

Adil Rashid was branded “ungrateful”, “lazy” and “selfish” for opting out of a match, despite
him releasing his own statement disclosing personal circumstances for his absence, i.e. his
grandmother’s grave illness

The comments from Hoggy towards myself and the other Asian players – Adil, Ajmal and Rana –
were constant, on a daily basis, and all day, every day. I think he might have thought it was just
dressing room banter, but we would come in in the morning and he would say things like “you lot
sit over there” and make us all sit together. He would also call us things like “elephant washers”
and “****”.

I just don’t think that we received fair and equal treatment from Andrew, as compared with white
British players. For example, during the Durham T20 Away game in 2017, I was walking off the field
with Adil and we were having a general chat about the difference in score. I was asked what I
thought, and I replied, “I think they are 15 over par” which is a completely normal discussion and
comment. This was relayed to Andrew by Ian Dews (Coach) and Adam Lyth (Yorkshire & England
Player), but it was taken out of context. Andrew then decided to question my selection in an
aggressive and threatening manner, in front of everyone, before saying “why are you walking
around saying they have 50 too many?” This was obviously not what I had said. I questioned who
had told him this and wanted to address it so that we could clear the air. I didn’t want animosity.
Andrew refused to give me further details or an opportunity to resolve the matter, which was the
norm and would have been offered to anyone else. I left the ground with Adil in a car upset,
humiliated and terrified about my position in the team. It

By way of comparison, throughout 2017, David Willey struggled with bowling which cost us
important games, yet Andrew did nothing but encourage him and praise him in front of the group.
Comparatively, for Adil and I, even a minor error and we were called out, dressed down and
insulted.

By way of comparison, throughout 2017, David Willey struggled with bowling which cost us
important games, yet Andrew did nothing but encourage him and praise him in front of the group.
Comparatively, for Adil and I, even a minor error and we were called out, dressed down and
insulted.

It was during this time in 2012 that I had been drinking, together with Adil Rashid, to try and fit into the Club culture.

Adil Rashid insisted that he does not take any formal action at that stage.

Hanif asked both Adil and I if we wanted him to take the matters we were discussing to the Board. Adil indicated that he would like to see how the season pans out and only if and when things did
not change, did he want matters to be brought up more formally

I explained that Andrew had been the same with Adil, but because Adil was in a more powerful position and playing for England,it was all taken out on me.

I explained that Adil had been spoken about a lot behind his back about is “bad attitude” and
about faking injuries and now the same things were being said about me

He told me that he was not surprised that Adil did not want to play and said that he was aware that Adil couldn’t stand the sight of Andrew Gale and would do anything to avoid having to play for YCCC because of Andrew and the way he had been treated. He said, “put it this way, Adil Rashid hates it that much that he is turning
down playing test cricket because they made it compulsory to play for the county, so he retired”.

In that huddle there must have been 11 players:

Vaughan
4 Asian lads
And 6 others

None of the 6 have yet defended Vaughan which I'm guessing he is waiting for.

He says he's contacted them and they have no recollection of it...and chancer Rafiq is now saying the comment wasn't even malicious...

Cricket analyst known for his roles on channel 4 and channel 5 in the UK Simon Hughes has been released from his contract with the cricketer magazine for his comments on trying to justify Ballance P**i slur.

Oh, Yosser :(

He came from a Middlesex dressing room with five Afro-Caribbean first team players too.

BT Sport's Ashes coverage in turmoil just 12 days before first Test as plans to block out Michael Vaughan's commentary are undone by former England captain being contracted to Australian rights holders Fox Sports
BT Sports don't want the former England captain on their live Ashes coverage
But BT will be taking audio feed from Fox Sports which features Vaughan

BT Sport’s plans for their live Ashes coverage have been thrown into turmoil only 12 days before the first Test in Brisbane, due to the ongoing furore surrounding Michael Vaughan.

As Sportsmail revealed on Thursday, BT are adamant they do not want to use Vaughan following allegations he used racist language towards Azeem Rafiq and three other Yorkshire players 12 years ago.

But the former England captain remains contracted to commentate for the Australian rights holders Fox Sports, who have agreed to supply an audio feed to BT’s London studio.

BT remain hopeful that Fox will solve their problem by dropping Vaughan, but have begun to explore other options and are encountering numerous difficulties.

Sportsmail has learned that negotiations with the other Australian rights holders Channel Seven about taking their feed have not progressed, while BT are also struggling to assemble a team of ex-players and broadcasters willing to work through the night on live commentary from London.

Experienced broadcaster Matt Smith has been signed up to front BT’s coverage, with former England captain Sir Alastair Cook and fast bowler Steve Harmison providing expert analysis during the lunch and tea intervals. But putting together a full commentary team is proving far more challenging.

Sky Sports’ coverage of England’s tour of Sri Lanka last winter featured the likes of Michael Atherton, Nasser Hussain and Rob Key commentating off the television from London. But Channel Four took the feed provided by host broadcaster Star Sports after winning the rights for England’s tour of India later in the winter.

BT may not have that option due to the Vaughan issue, but also lack a permanent cricket staff to do the job remotely so are attempting to recruit freelancers and ex-players. The timing of the delayed series has not helped matters, with many people reluctant to work overnight in the run-up to Christmas and the New Year — particularly with five Tests to take place in only seven weeks.

Vaughan has categorically denied that he said ‘too many of you lot, we need to do something about it’ to Rafiq before a Twenty20 Cup match in 2009. He insisted this week that he was looking forward to travelling to Australia to work for Fox after being stood down by the BBC.

‘Very disappointed not to be commentating for TMS (Test Match Special) on the Ashes and will miss working with great colleagues and friends, but looking forward to being behind the mic for @foxcricket in Australia,’ Vaughan posted on Instagram.

‘The issues facing cricket are bigger than any individual case and I want to be part of the solution, listening, educating myself and helping to make it a more welcoming sport for all.’

The ECB have suffered an embarrassment as they prepare to announce a new 12-point diversity action plan today — with the sudden resignation of Leicestershire chair Mehmooda Duke.

The lawyer is the only female chair among the 18 first-class counties and one of only two people of colour in such roles, with her departure an untimely blow for the ECB as they seek to tackle the chronic lack of diversity in the sport.

Duke was due to step down next March but has opted to go immediately and appeared to take aim at ECB chief executive Tom Harrison in her resignation statement.

‘Cricket has been torn apart by recent events and I am deeply saddened by the hurt felt by individuals within our game,’ she said.

‘With fresh leadership at national level and with a determination to learn from the recent past, I hope that racism will be expunged from the dressing rooms, the fields and the game as a whole, allowing us to celebrate the diversity which makes cricket and sport in this country so great.’

Source: Mail.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan says he is "sorry for all the hurt" Azeem Rafiq has gone through during the Yorkshire racism scandal.

Vaughan was named in the Yorkshire report by ex-team-mate Rafiq, who alleged he made a racist comment to a group of Asian players.

In a wide-ranging interview with the BBC, Vaughan continued to deny the claim and said he never made racist comments while at Yorkshire.

But he admitted his regret at some tweets he had sent in the past.

"It hurts deeply, hurts me that a player has gone through so much be treated so badly at the club that I love," Vaughan said.

"I have to take some responsibility for that because I played for Yorkshire County Cricket Club for 18 years and if in any way shape or form I'm responsible for any of his hurt, I apologise for that."

Asked if he ever made any racist comments during his time at Yorkshire, he said: "No I didn't. No."

Vaughan captained England in Tests between 2003 and 2008. He played his entire domestic career at Yorkshire - between 1993 and 2009 - before becoming a summariser on BBC Test Match Special.

In the interview with BBC Breakfast's Dan Walker, Vaughan, who will not be part of the BBC's Ashes coverage this winter, said:

Cricket had a problem with racism it needed to accept.
He had never heard racist language used in the dressing room but had heard things that "are not acceptable now".
He would "love" to play a part in helping Yorkshire move forward, alongside Rafiq.
He hoped to return to commentating with the BBC next year.
On the alleged racist incident
Rafiq alleged Vaughan said "too many of you lot, we need to do something about it" to him and three other players during match for Yorkshire in 2009.

Rafiq's account was supported by former Pakistan bowler Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and England leg-spinner Adil Rashid, who said they heard the comment.

The fourth player in the group - bowler Ajmal Shahzad - previously told the Daily Mail he had no recollection of the event and "the senior guys were really good to me".

Vaughan, who did not participate with the original independent investigation, said he did not remember the incident or recognise the words it is claimed he used.

"I just remember it clearly that I was proud as punch that we had four Asian players representing Yorkshire County Cricket Club," he said.

"Nothing but a proud, senior, old pro just about to retire and absolutely delighted that Yorkshire had come so far in my time at the club."

Speaking in front of MPs, Rafiq claimed Vaughan might not remember the incident because "it doesn't mean anything to him".

"That hurts because I've always felt that every single team that I've been involved in, the biggest praise I've got as England captain for six years was that I was the kind of person that really galvanised the group," Vaughan said.

"I always felt that I was the person in the dressing room that really wanted everyone to feel included."

Asked if Rafiq, Rashid and Naved were lying, he said: "The problem with this situation is that we've got too much 'he said, he said, she said, did they say' and I think we've got to move on from accusations of conversations from many years ago.

"There's a bigger picture here."

Vaughan embarrassed by historic tweets

Historical Twitter posts by Vaughan have been widely shared on social media in the recent weeks.

In 2010 he tweeted "Not many English people live in London… I need to learn a new language" and in 2017, following the Manchester Arena bombing, he answered "yes" to a question whether England all-rounder Moeen Ali should ask Muslims if they are terrorists.

Vaughan said he was embarrassed by the tweets and was now a different person.

"I apologise deeply to anyone that I've offended with those tweets," Vaughan said.

"Times have moved on and I regret those tweets. We all make mistakes and in my life I've made quite a few mistakes on Twitter, I apologise for that."

Walker: Does it embarrass you when read back those tweets?

Vaughan: Yes.

Walker: And you feel you're a different person now...

Vaughan: Absolutely.

Yorkshire players have also been criticised for referring to India batter Cheteshwar Pujara as "Steve" - something Vaughan brought up on air in 2018, saying "Steve as they call him in Yorkshire because they can't pronounce his first name".

"Clearly we're in different times now," Vaughan said.

"That was three years ago - that's how much times have moved on in the three years.

"So when you start talking 12 years, 15 years, 20 years, everything is moving so quickly.

"We're in that that situation now for the game, sporting dressing rooms not just cricket dressing rooms, where everyone needs to be educated."

'I heard things you would not consider acceptable now'

Rafiq, who a report found was victim of "racial harassment and bullying" while at Yorkshire between 2008 and 2018, told a committee of MPs English cricket is "institutionally racist".

He said racist language, including terms aimed at his and others' Pakistani heritage, was used "constantly" and "never stamped out" during his time at Yorkshire.

Vaughan, who retired during Rafiq's second season as a professional at Yorkshire, said he had never heard racist language used in the dressing room.

"I heard plenty of things in my 18 years as a player in a dressing room which you would not even consider to be acceptable now," he said.

"I would say any sports person that's out there from that era that says otherwise, I don't think they're telling the truth.

"There were things said and back in the day. It wasn't deemed to be offensive. It would be now."

He added: "I can apologise if I was involved in anyway shape or form with a dressing room that had a culture that wasn't inclusive for everyone.

"My recollections are all the dressing rooms that I played in that we were inclusive to everyone. But I'm more than happy for people to come forward and say you know what that wasn't the case."

Vaughan on his TMS future

The BBC announced last week Vaughan would not be part of its cricket coverage during the Ashes this winter.

A statement said "while he is involved in a significant story in cricket, for editorial reasons we do not believe that it would be appropriate" for Vaughan to be involved.

Vaughan said he "understood" the decision and he and the cooperation are having "ongoing conversations" about his future.

"I just hope in time I get that chance to come back and the one thing that I've loved more than anything since I retired is talking cricket.

"I hope next year I can get back working with the team.

"I love being on Test Match Special and hopefully in time I get the chance to do it again."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/59432187

MV beginning to (finally) demonstrate some contrition now and is starting to come to terms with some of his mistakes.

MV beginning to (finally) demonstrate some contrition now and is starting to come to terms with some of his mistakes.

I was just watching ITV racing opening show. Matt Chapman was saying to Ruby Walsh (who is Irish) that You lot come to Britain and take all our big races. Everyone had a laugh and moved on.

You lot is a pretty common term used in Britain I think?

Or are we saying 'You lot' used against Irish is not racist but for Asians it is?

I was just watching ITV racing opening show. Matt Chapman was saying to Ruby Walsh (who is Irish) that You lot come to Britain and take all our big races. Everyone had a laugh and moved on.

Or are we saying 'You lot' used against Irish is not racist but for Asians it is?

Even "victim" Rafiq has now said the comment wasn't malicious:

"It wasn’t malicious."

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/exclu...face-to-face-with-holocaust-survivor-1.523046

However, in his ET witness statement he said the polar opposite:

"At the time, I remember being shocked and thinking, “did he actually just say that?”. I felt so disappointed that I felt sick."

https://committees.parliament.uk/co...port-committee/publications/3/correspondence/

Perhaps he lied in his statement, perhaps he's had a change of heart, who knows?

Disagree. MV is playing to the Woke elitists.

Innocent until proven guilty. It is a notion that underpins justice in every civilised society and yet, in certain cases, it seems to be overlooked.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan says he is "sorry for all the hurt" Azeem Rafiq has gone through during the Yorkshire racism scandal.

Vaughan was named in the Yorkshire report by ex-team-mate Rafiq, who alleged he made a racist comment to a group of Asian players.

In a wide-ranging interview with the BBC, Vaughan continued to deny the claim and said he never made racist comments while at Yorkshire.

But he admitted his regret at some tweets he had sent in the past.

"It hurts deeply, hurts me that a player has gone through so much be treated so badly at the club that I love," Vaughan said.

"I have to take some responsibility for that because I played for Yorkshire County Cricket Club for 18 years and if in any way shape or form I'm responsible for any of his hurt, I apologise for that."

Asked if he ever made any racist comments during his time at Yorkshire, he said: "No I didn't. No."

Vaughan captained England in Tests between 2003 and 2008. He played his entire domestic career at Yorkshire - between 1993 and 2009 - before becoming a summariser on BBC Test Match Special.

In the interview with BBC Breakfast's Dan Walker, Vaughan, who will not be part of the BBC's Ashes coverage this winter, said:

Cricket had a problem with racism it needed to accept.
He had never heard racist language used in the dressing room but had heard things that "are not acceptable now".
He would "love" to play a part in helping Yorkshire move forward, alongside Rafiq.
He hoped to return to commentating with the BBC next year.
On the alleged racist incident
Rafiq alleged Vaughan said "too many of you lot, we need to do something about it" to him and three other players during match for Yorkshire in 2009.

Rafiq's account was supported by former Pakistan bowler Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and England leg-spinner Adil Rashid, who said they heard the comment.

The fourth player in the group - bowler Ajmal Shahzad - previously told the Daily Mail he had no recollection of the event and "the senior guys were really good to me".

Vaughan, who did not participate with the original independent investigation, said he did not remember the incident or recognise the words it is claimed he used.

"I just remember it clearly that I was proud as punch that we had four Asian players representing Yorkshire County Cricket Club," he said.

"Nothing but a proud, senior, old pro just about to retire and absolutely delighted that Yorkshire had come so far in my time at the club."

Speaking in front of MPs, Rafiq claimed Vaughan might not remember the incident because "it doesn't mean anything to him".

"That hurts because I've always felt that every single team that I've been involved in, the biggest praise I've got as England captain for six years was that I was the kind of person that really galvanised the group," Vaughan said.

"I always felt that I was the person in the dressing room that really wanted everyone to feel included."

Asked if Rafiq, Rashid and Naved were lying, he said: "The problem with this situation is that we've got too much 'he said, he said, she said, did they say' and I think we've got to move on from accusations of conversations from many years ago.

"There's a bigger picture here."

Vaughan embarrassed by historic tweets

Historical Twitter posts by Vaughan have been widely shared on social media in the recent weeks.

In 2010 he tweeted "Not many English people live in London… I need to learn a new language" and in 2017, following the Manchester Arena bombing, he answered "yes" to a question whether England all-rounder Moeen Ali should ask Muslims if they are terrorists.

Vaughan said he was embarrassed by the tweets and was now a different person.

"I apologise deeply to anyone that I've offended with those tweets," Vaughan said.

"Times have moved on and I regret those tweets. We all make mistakes and in my life I've made quite a few mistakes on Twitter, I apologise for that."

Walker: Does it embarrass you when read back those tweets?

Vaughan: Yes.

Walker: And you feel you're a different person now...

Vaughan: Absolutely.

Yorkshire players have also been criticised for referring to India batter Cheteshwar Pujara as "Steve" - something Vaughan brought up on air in 2018, saying "Steve as they call him in Yorkshire because they can't pronounce his first name".

"Clearly we're in different times now," Vaughan said.

"That was three years ago - that's how much times have moved on in the three years.

"So when you start talking 12 years, 15 years, 20 years, everything is moving so quickly.

"We're in that that situation now for the game, sporting dressing rooms not just cricket dressing rooms, where everyone needs to be educated."

'I heard things you would not consider acceptable now'

Rafiq, who a report found was victim of "racial harassment and bullying" while at Yorkshire between 2008 and 2018, told a committee of MPs English cricket is "institutionally racist".

He said racist language, including terms aimed at his and others' Pakistani heritage, was used "constantly" and "never stamped out" during his time at Yorkshire.

Vaughan, who retired during Rafiq's second season as a professional at Yorkshire, said he had never heard racist language used in the dressing room.

"I heard plenty of things in my 18 years as a player in a dressing room which you would not even consider to be acceptable now," he said.

"I would say any sports person that's out there from that era that says otherwise, I don't think they're telling the truth.

"There were things said and back in the day. It wasn't deemed to be offensive. It would be now."

He added: "I can apologise if I was involved in anyway shape or form with a dressing room that had a culture that wasn't inclusive for everyone.

"My recollections are all the dressing rooms that I played in that we were inclusive to everyone. But I'm more than happy for people to come forward and say you know what that wasn't the case."

Vaughan on his TMS future

The BBC announced last week Vaughan would not be part of its cricket coverage during the Ashes this winter.

A statement said "while he is involved in a significant story in cricket, for editorial reasons we do not believe that it would be appropriate" for Vaughan to be involved.

Vaughan said he "understood" the decision and he and the cooperation are having "ongoing conversations" about his future.

"I just hope in time I get that chance to come back and the one thing that I've loved more than anything since I retired is talking cricket.

"I hope next year I can get back working with the team.

"I love being on Test Match Special and hopefully in time I get the chance to do it again."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/59432187

He's lying because the only way to make racist white people like him understand, is to hit them in the pocket. Right up until a few weeks before the revelations he was talking garbage on twitter. 18 yrs at Yorkshire and he didn't hear anything? Of course he didn't because like it has been said by many it was so casual and institutionalised that it was normal. Then they wonder why we support Pakistan lol..

Sad that now he seems to say that he can't remember saying it or something like that.
His tweets kind of show how he really feels about things in society.

I am all for second chances but to drag it out this long then it looks like a half hearted apology. We all make mistakes so hopefully he has learned and can be given a second chance. "You lot" seems to have been said in a joking kind of way plus others have said a lot worse and got away with no punishment.

I wonder why no one has come forward to say he didnt say it maybe its been too long? memories fade except to some who take it too heart.

Casual racism, or "banter" as it's sometimes referred to, isn't always seen as malicious, it's seen as....banter. But as you must surely agree, that still doesn't mean it's acceptable today. Certainly it wouldn't be tolerated on here.

"I felt so disappointed that I felt sick."

That sounds malicious and doesn't sound like it was casual in anyway...and now he's telling the Jewish Chronicle:

"It wasn’t malicious."

The man has lied through his back teeth about a whole host of things.

I wonder why no one has come forward to say he didnt say it maybe its been too long? memories fade except to some who take it too heart.

No one can come forward and say he didn't say it, you can't remember what someone didn't say ten years ago.

References to Adil Rashid in Rafiq's statement, including outing him as a former drinker. As I've said, Rashid has not commented on any of these far more serious alleagtions, but has chosen to publicly comment on the alleged Vaughan comment, perhaps in future he will...

Rashid was always under microscope

That sounds malicious and doesn't sound like it was casual in anyway...and now he's telling the Jewish Chronicle:

Fairly certain JC will have approached him and it can be a naive but not malicious comment. You seem very protective of the defence

All this is a slap in the face of ECB who've set the precedent with their response to Robinson and the brushing off of Morgan and Buttler being overtly offensive of Indians

Last edited:

Except the Irish aren't British citizens ?

Casual racism.

You're repeating the same line of argument without grasping what's been said

Casual racism.

You're repeating the same line of argument without grasping what's been said

For a man that's been routinely called a ****, Raffa the Kaafir and has had wine poured down his throat, "you lot" made him feel sick...yeah, right, like I said, a pack of lies from a man who drank away his career and blamed every man and his dog for his own failings, and turned on his best mate in the process.

For a man that's been routinely called a ****, Raffa the Kaafir and has had wine poured down his throat, "you lot" made him feel sick...yeah, right, like I said, a pack of lies from a man who drank away his career and blamed every man and his dog for his own failings, and turned on his best mate in the process.

Have you ever followed Yorkshire?. This is a club that discarded Moin Ashraf and persisted with village cricketers though they also let go of Ollie Robinson, ironically.

Problem with Racism tribunals is you have to provide proof beyond reasonable doubt and Yorkshire payed out to limit the damage ; what actually happened in the tribunal?.

That said there's been lots of libel on the part of Azeem and this story isn't done. Vaughan has seemingly taken stock but will have his own gripe with the BBC no doubt who are too drowsy to be woke.

Last edited:
Have you ever followed Yorkshire?. This is a club that discarded Join Ashraf and persisted with village cricketers though they also let go of Ollie Robinson, ironically.

Problem with Racism tribunals is you have to provide proof beyond reasonable doubt and Yorkshire payed out to limit the damage ; what actually happened in the tribunal?.

That said there's been lots of libel on the part of Azeem and this story isn't done. Vaughan has seemingly taken stock but will have his own gripe with the BBC no doubt who are too drowsy to be woke.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you're on about...

Have you ever followed Yorkshire?

No, despite living on Headingley's doorstep I've never had the slightest bit of interest in Yorkshire.

I've been there many a time though over the years to watch Pakistan play, and I was there in 1983 when Graeme Wood was knocked unconscious by a vicious Holding bouncer.

Unfortunately, I can't make head nor tail of the rest of your post.

The only cricket team I'm interested in is Pakistan.

'sounds malicious' and 'doesn't sound casual' isn't going to stand up in any court of law. Neither is 'The man has lied through his back teeth about a whole host of things.' which is just your opinion.

No wonder you wear a mask as your avatar, subterfuge is suggested and perhaps instructive.

I've been there many a time though over the years to watch Pakistan play, and I was there in 1983 when Graeme Wood was knocked unconscious by a vicious Holding bouncer.

Interesting, was that the WC match?

BT Sport says it will not use Fox Sports commentary with Michael Vaughan during the Ashes in Australia as it "would not be editorially appropriate".

The ex-England captain will not be part of the BBC's coverage of the series but the organisation says it "expects to work" with him in the future.

Vaughan was named in the Yorkshire report by ex-team-mate Azeem Rafiq, who alleged he made a racially insensitive remark to a group of Asian players.

He has repeatedly denied the claim.

Vaughan said he has had to delay his trip to Australia until next week "because of a positive Covid test, which is frustrating".

BT Sport holds the UK TV rights for the series, which is scheduled to start on 8 December in Brisbane, and was reviewing plans to use Fox Sports.

"As a result of Covid and travel restrictions BT Sport had made the decision to take our commentary feed from the Australian host broadcaster," said a BT Sport statement.

BT Sport said the recent report into the Yorkshire racism scandal was "extremely disappointing" and a "concern for all".

It added: "Given these recent events and the controversy with the situation we have taken the decision that including Michael Vaughan within our Ashes coverage would not be editorially appropriate or fit with BT Sport's values.

"We are still finalising plans but we are assessing the option of taking a hybrid approach, using Fox commentary where possible with the aim of putting our own commentary team in place if necessary."

Meanwhile, the BBC says Vaughan "remains on contract" with the organisation.

"We're in regular contact with Michael and have had positive conversations with him in recent days," said a BBC statement.

BT Sport says it will not use Fox Sports commentary with Michael Vaughan during the Ashes in Australia as it "would not be editorially appropriate".

The ex-England captain will not be part of the BBC's coverage of the series but the organisation says it "expects to work" with him in the future.

Vaughan was named in the Yorkshire report by ex-team-mate Azeem Rafiq, who alleged he made a racially insensitive remark to a group of Asian players.

He has repeatedly denied the claim.

Vaughan said he has had to delay his trip to Australia until next week "because of a positive Covid test, which is frustrating".

BT Sport holds the UK TV rights for the series, which is scheduled to start on 8 December in Brisbane, and was reviewing plans to use Fox Sports.

"As a result of Covid and travel restrictions BT Sport had made the decision to take our commentary feed from the Australian host broadcaster," said a BT Sport statement.

It added: "Given these recent events and the controversy with the situation we have taken the decision that including Michael Vaughan within our Ashes coverage would not be editorially appropriate or fit with BT Sport's values.

"We are still finalising plans but we are assessing the option of taking a hybrid approach, using Fox commentary where possible with the aim of putting our own commentary team in place if necessary."

Meanwhile, the BBC says Vaughan "remains on contract" with the organisation.

"We're in regular contact with Michael and have had positive conversations with him in recent days," said a BBC statement.

Vaughan should have just apologised without coming across as not sincere lol now he’s losing a few quid

I'm pretty sure he'll be back in the media. This is just gesturing, everything calms down by next year. Has any one read the points from the ecb meeting? It's tick boxing on steroids.

Being stood down from the biggest event in a 2 year cycle is box ticking?

It's actually the complete opposite.

Some action has been taken pending consideration. It may lead to further action. "Box ticking" would be to send Vaughan off on a 2 day cultural sensitivity course, announce that all employees will do the course over the next 2 years and carry on as usual, with a newly rebranded, "culturally sensitive" Vaughan in the com box as per usual.

Being stood down from the biggest event in a 2 year cycle is box ticking?

It's actually the complete opposite.

Some action has been taken pending consideration. It may lead to further action. "Box ticking" would be to send Vaughan off on a 2 day cultural sensitivity course, announce that all employees will do the course over the next 2 years and carry on as usual, with a newly rebranded, "culturally sensitive" Vaughan in the com box as per usual.

It is, because he is still on the Fox Australia broadcast.

It is, because he is still on the Fox Australia broadcast.

The ECB and the uk don't have control over murdochs aussies empire. Also Australia has a poor record with racism so not surprising that they have retained him.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan is among several high-profile people charged by the ECB on Wednesday after the governing body’s investigation into alleged racism at Yorkshire.

Although they are not criminal charges, a group including Matthew Hoggard, Tim Bresnan, Gary Ballance and former head coach Andrew Gale, plus the club itself, will be subject to disciplinary hearings this autumn.

That will ensure Yorkshire’s racism saga, brought to light by former player Azeem Rafiq’s whistleblowing in August 2020, will extend beyond two years.

The latest twist comes seven months after Rafiq’s testimony at a parliamentary select committee as it was finally confirmed — after the ECB’s own probe into racism and other allegations of misconduct at Headingley — that a Cricket Discipline Commission (CDC) panel will conduct a hearing in September or October.

The ECB have not named the individuals but Sportsmail understands Vaughan, England’s 2005 Ashes-winning captain and now a BBC TV and radio pundit, is one of that number.

Vaughan, 47, has ‘completely and categorically’ denied telling Rafiq and other Muslim players in 2009: ‘Too many of you lot, we need to do something about it.’

He was named in the original inquiry into institutional racism at Headingley, which concluded with the club confirming last September that Rafiq had been the victim of ‘racial harassment and bullying’ and that seven of his 43 allegations had been upheld, but without disciplinary action for anybody.

Vaughan’s representatives declined to comment on Wednesday night. Hoggard, Bresnan and Ballance were also accused by Rafiq. Bresnan refused to comment.

He apologised for bullying behaviour when his name came out last November but has denied ever being racist.

In contrast, Ballance admitted to referring to Rafiq as a ‘P***’ as part of ‘banter’ between them, and Hoggard called Rafiq to apologise for calling him ‘Rafa the Kaffir’ when the pair were team-mates a decade ago.

The charges are alleged breaches of ECB directive 3.3 of the sport’s code of conduct — relating to actions considered to be improper or which may be prejudicial to the interests of cricket or bring the ECB, cricket or any cricketer into disrepute — and their anti-discrimination code.

Under CDC regulations teams, registered cricketers, coaches employed after March 2018, umpires and match referees, registered agents, ECB committee members and anyone else who has agreed in writing to be bound by the ECB rules can be charged.

The latter is relevant to former players who sign statutory regulations to abide by ECB guidelines when registering to represent first-class counties.

However, most of those charged are no longer involved in the sport and will have to weigh up whether to offer a plea in response.

Sanctions available to the CDC include: a caution on future conduct; a reprimand; an unlimited fine; playing bans; suspension of selection eligibility for matches; suspension or termination of registration; and completion of education programmes.

But Sportsmail understands potential punishment could extend to denial of entrance to grounds for those found guilty.

Rafiq said: ‘This has been another gruelling but necessary process. I hope this all means no young player ever goes through such pain again.

‘I am hopeful there will be some sense of closure for my family and me.’

Yorkshire’s T20 captain David Willey has rubbished managing director Darren Gough’s claim that they tried to keep him but were not able to match the offer from Northamptonshire, where he will move in 2023.

As revealed by Sportsmail, Willey had agreed a long-term deal to extend his seven-year stay in Leeds with the previous regime but did not sign before the entire coaching staff were sacked last December.

‘The comments made by Yorkshire around my contract discussions with the club are inaccurate,’ he wrote on Instagram.

Willey, 32, said of his four-year agreement to return to Wantage Road: ‘Unfortunately, the circumstances surrounding the recent events at the club have made my work environment unsettling.

‘The cricket and the current players seem to be secondary at the moment to repairing the clubs (sic) reputation.

‘It certainly felt that way for me over the past 12 months. I play cricket because I love the game. I just want to play somewhere that cricket is the focus and where I feel valued on and off the field.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...vestigation-racism-allegations-Yorkshire.html

Things falling apart at Yorkshire.

They need to host a really good Test match next week in order to get things back on track and show they still have something to offer, otherwise their long term future as a top county cricket club looks uncertain IMO.

The BBC will stand by Michael Vaughan despite his ECB charge for bringing the game into disrepute in connection with the Yorkshire racism scandal.

Beeb executives had been under pressure to stand down the former England captain from their broadcasts until the case is concluded. This would have seen him miss the entire summer as the disciplinary hearings are not due to take place until at least September.

But it is understood Vaughan will remain on the air and will be part of the BBC’s Test Match Special coverage for England’s third Test against New Zealand at Headingley, beginning this Thursday.

Sportsmail has also learned that the 47-year-old will not be asked about the ECB charges while commentating.

Vaughan was dropped by the BBC indefinitely in November due to allegations of racism made by Azeem Rafiq, who claimed he told a group of Muslim players in 2009 there were 'too many of you lot, we need to do something about it.’

Vaughan was taken off air when the allegations became public and did not return until March. He 'completely and categorically' denies the allegations.

His BBC duties are currently restricted to Test Match Special and BBC2's highlights show, Today at the Test, after he took his podcast elsewhere due to a dispute over the name.

The BBC rebranded the Tuffers and Vaughan Cricket Show in light of the Rafiq affair, with Vaughan opting to leave the programme and set up his own podcast, The Vaughany and Tuffers Cricket Club.

Vaughan is one of seven ex-Yorkshire cricketers charged by the ECB after an inquiry into allegations of historic racism at Headingley.

Among the others are former England players Matthew Hoggard, Tim Bresnan and Gary Ballance and former Yorkshire coach Andrew Gale.

An independent inquiry conducted last year upheld seven of Rafiq's 43 complaints in finding he had been the victim of racial harassment and bullying at Yorkshire, but the club opted to take no action.

DM

An in-house diversity group at the BBC has sent an extraordinary email to staff at the corporation criticising as “totally inexcusable” the decision to employ the former England cricket captain Michael Vaughan as part of their team covering the third Test against New Zealand at Headingley.

The email – written by BBC Sport’s Black, Asian and minority ethnic group and sent on Monday morning – said the decision to allow Vaughan to commentate on the game for Radio 5 live was “totally inexcusable” and “a shocking miscalculation” that had caused “excruciating, overwhelming and unbearable” distress among many members of staff.

Vaughan was dropped from coverage of the Ashes last November after he was accused by several players of making a racist comment before a Yorkshire game in 2009. He has repeatedly and categorically denied doing so.

Having returned to the commentary team for the English summer Vaughan’s participation in the BBC’s coverage came under renewed focus last week after it emerged that he had been charged by the England and Wales Cricket Board’s disciplinary commission with bringing the game into disrepute, in relation to the accusations first aired by Azeem Rafiq, and since corroborated by two other players present. Barbara Slater, the head of BBC Sport, nevertheless told staff that he would remain involved.

The Test was played at the home ground of Yorkshire, the club Vaughan represented throughout his career and which has been plunged into crisis by Rafiq’s accusations of discriminatory behaviour. Last November the club’s former chair, Roger Hutton, admitted to the Commons digital, culture, media and sport select committee that it “falls within the definition” of institutional racism.

The email noted that Vaughan had been working at “the scene of one of the most devastating racism scandals to rock the sport – a racism scandal that Michael is heavily embroiled in”. Yorkshire were allowed to host the game only after members ratified a raft of proposed changes as part of reforms being driven by their new chair, Lord Kamlesh Patel.

“With Michael Vaughan implicated in this scandal and now understood to be charged by the ECB, it feels totally inexcusable that he should continue to appear as a representative of BBC Sport,” the group wrote. “The depth of feeling and outpouring of emotion towards this decision is excruciating, overwhelming and unbearable. Colleagues from all backgrounds from across the BBC have been in touch to share their disbelief and dismay, with some moved to tears because of the apparent lack of empathy, understanding and leadership over this.

“This really is a shocking miscalculation. We are exhausted. We are tired. We are fed up of having the same discussions and reliving the same trauma. The small steps forward we make to try and build greater inclusivity and understanding are totally undone by decisions like this and that really needs to be acknowledged.”

In a statement, the BBC said: “We acknowledge some staff have raised concerns and we will discuss those with them directly.”

GUARDIAN

Michael Vaughan takes a step back.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="zxx" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/cZQOnz8ZX6">pic.twitter.com/cZQOnz8ZX6</a></p>— Michael Vaughan (@MichaelVaughan) <a href="https://twitter.com/MichaelVaughan/status/1541875228246155267?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 28, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The ECB's prosecution of Michael Vaughan and five other former Yorkshire cricketers on racism charges will begin on Wednesday with a preliminary hearing of their Cricket Disciplinary Committee.

Ex-England internationals Matthew Hoggard, Tim Bresnan and Gary Ballance have also been charged for allegedly using racist language towards Azeem Rafiq, as have former Yorkshire players Richard Pyrah and John Blain, although former captain Andrew Gale is refusing to comply with a process he has denounced as a witch-hunt.

The six other defendants including Vaughan deny the charges and will mount a vigorous defence, with their legal teams expected to begin by pointing out alleged flaws in the ECB's investigation.

Sportsmail has learned that there are concerns that many potentially crucial witnesses will be unable to give evidence as they have been required to sign non-disclosure agreements by Yorkshire, while other key individuals are currently out of the country and therefore unable to testify in person.

The CDC will be chaired by former Derbyshire batsman Tim O'Gorman, who will invite the players' and the ECB's lawyers to make their initial presentations.

The full hearing is not expected to take place until the end of the season, with the ECB able to issue heavy fines or bans from cricket to any individual found guilty.

The charges arise from alleged breaches of ECB directive 3.3, which states that 'no participant may conduct themselves in a manner, do any act or make any omission at any time which is improper or which may be prejudicial to the interests of cricket or which may bring the ECB, the game of cricket or any cricketer or group of cricketers into disrepute.'

Vaughan has said he 'completely and categorically denies' the allegation made by Rafiq, that before a Yorkshire match in 2009 he said to four non-white players: 'There's too many of you lot, we are going to have to do something about that.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...hire-cricketers-racism-charges-set-begin.html

Should have spent his time giving constructive criticism as a pundit than make easy money by trolling incessantly.

Should have spent his time giving constructive criticism as a pundit than make easy money by trolling incessantly.

It is not entirely tangible to me why, but I don’t get the impression that he is (or ever was) one of the good men of the game. The same suspicion applies to Bresnan, Hoggard, Ballance. Feels like the chickens are coming home to roost for them.

It is not entirely tangible to me why, but I don’t get the impression that he is (or ever was) one of the good men of the game. The same suspicion applies to Bresnan, Hoggard, Ballance. Feels like the chickens are coming home to roost for them.

I think we need to be a bit empathetic about this though. Casual racism and sexism were common until quite recently. Vaughan's generation simply did not know any better and I'm sure whatever he said was considered acceptable to many at the time.

I think we need to be a bit empathetic about this though. Casual racism and sexism were common until quite recently. Vaughan's generation simply did not know any better and I'm sure whatever he said was considered acceptable to many at the time.

I don’t accept this. There might have been a culture of racism, but that’s no excuse to say that those making the racist comments had justification for doing so. It’s simply not the case that Vaughan did not know any better - he is a grown, intelligent man who knew the difference between right and wrong. Anybody who says what Vaughan said knows that they are being racist. That fact that those comments were clearly no big deal for Vaughan simply does not justify his position.

Where I do have sympathy for Vaughan is that one stupid comment shouldn’t ruin the rest of his career. I’ve heard him commentate a lot and he’s clearly not a racist, despite having made racist comments in the past. He has often stood up for Pakistan for example, sometimes at the expense of his own personal relationships with the England players.

One example was where Broad dug his spikes into the ball in a test match where the ball wasn’t swinging, and Jimmy started scratching the ball. Vaughan was the most high profile person to call that out, and ask how different the reaction would have been if a Pakistani had done it. This angered Broad and Jimmy a lot and no doubt they fell out over it. Vaughan didn’t need to do that and certainly if he was a racist, he definitely wouldn’t have stuck his neck out like that.

For that reason, I also disagree with [MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] when he says that Vaughan is not one of the good men of cricket.

In his mind his "too many of you lot" comment was meant to show he'd take the mickey out of them the same way he takes the mickey with anyone else- hey lads I'll treat you just the same and include you.

But he lacks the insight to see how loaded that comment would be to people who genuinely do/did face discrimination and have maybe often felt like outsiders or seen other asians treated poorly in Yorks cricket.

Case of "make a racist joke to show how un-racist and comfortable you are" totally blowing up in his face and actually just being "oh great, another guy who thinks HIS racist joke is funny and not at all the same as other racism"...

Former England captain Michael Vaughan says the disciplinary hearing into allegations of racism at Yorkshire is a "terrible look" for cricket.

Vaughan is accused of saying "there's too many of you lot, we need to have a word about that" to Azeem Rafiq and three other Asian players at Yorkshire before a T20 match in 2009.

Vaughan has "completely and categorically" denied the allegation - and did so again when giving evidence for the first time in the hearing on Friday.

The 48-year-old was critical of the process and said he met Rafiq in November 2021 because "the whole situation was escalating out of control".

In the meeting Vaughan apologised to Rafiq for the hurt the former spinner had experienced at Yorkshire but did not accept he made the alleged comment.

Rafiq said on Thursday that Vaughan's subsequent actions had left him feeling "naive".

"It's not been easy for anybody," said Vaughan, under cross-examination by Jane Mulcahy KC - the lawyer for the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).

"This is not the right process to deal with word-against-word comments from 14 years ago.

"Ex-team-mates fighting it out over hearsay is a terrible look for the game and a really bad look on how cricket has dealt with this situation."

Vaughan makes 'Question of Sport' joke during hearing

Yorkshire has accepted four amended charges from the ECB, which also includes the county accepting there was a "systemic" use of racist or discriminatory language at the club during Rafiq's career.

Former Yorkshire and England bowler Matthew Hoggard has admitted using a racist slur relating to Pakistani heritage and another racist term that is offensive in South Africa while at the club.

Vaughan repeatedly denied having heard such racial slurs while at Yorkshire.

When asked to confirm details about how many years he had played alongside Hoggard for both Yorkshire and England, Vaughan joked: "It's like Question of Sport, this."

The former batter, who started work as a BBC pundit after retiring in 2009, said he had a "very clear mind" about the match in question against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge on 22 June 2009.

He said that he "knows" he did not make the alleged comment to Rafiq, Adil Rashid, Ajmal Shahzad and Rana Naved-ul-Hasan because he was "proud" of it being the first time four Asian players had been in the same side for Yorkshire and it was a sign of how far the county had come.

He agreed that the comment was unacceptable and racist but insisted he did not say it, in part because it would have affected the morale of his team-mates and possibly their performance.

Vaughan also denied he had said the alleged comment in jest.

Mulcahy brought up historical tweets sent by Vaughan, which were brought to his attention in his BBC interview in November 2021, and the ex-England captain apologised again for the "disgusting" messages.

Mulcahy suggested the "tweets are remarkably similar in tone to the allegation", which Vaughan denied.

The hearing continues.

BBC

Yeah, they did.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Michael Vaughan says an ECB charge against him over alleged racism during his time at Yorkshire has been dismissed <a href="https://t.co/qsl8A1BlbR">pic.twitter.com/qsl8A1BlbR</a></p>— Sky Sports News (@SkySportsNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1641734703173586945?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 31, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Former England cricket captain Michael Vaughan has been cleared "on the balance of probabilities" of using racist language towards ex-Yorkshire team-mate Azeem Rafiq.

Vaughan was accused of saying "there's too many of you lot, we need to have a word about that" to Rafiq and three other Asian players representing Yorkshire in 2009.

The Cricket Discipline Commission (CDC) panel found the England and Wales Cricket Board's case against Vaughan, 48, was not proved.

The panel said it was "not satisfied on the balance of probabilities" that the words were said by Vaughan "at the time and in the specific circumstances alleged".

It added its findings "do not in any way undermine the wider assertions" made by Rafiq, who said English cricket is "institutionally racist".

In its concluding remarks, the panel said: "This is not a case which necessitated a conclusion from the panel that anyone has lied or acted out of malice.

"Far from it, the panel had to consider whether the case as presented to it by the ECB, in light of all the evidence, was sufficiently accurate and reliable, on the balance of probabilities, to rule out mistake. It was not."

Rafiq alleged Vaughan made the comment to him, Adil Rashid, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan and Ajmal Shahzad before a match against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge on 22 June 2009.

BBC pundit Vaughan - in a statement posted on social media before the ruling was officially released - said: "It has been both difficult and upsetting to hear about the painful experiences which Azeem has described over the past three years.

"The outcome of these CDC proceedings must not be allowed to detract from the core message that there can be no place for racism in the game of cricket, or in society generally."

He added: "I have never wanted to do anything that runs contrary to genuine efforts to clean up the game of cricket. I truly hope people can understand why, on a personal level, I could not just accept, or apologise for, something which I know I did not do.

"At times, this process has brought me to the brink of falling out of love with cricket. I won't address here the toll that it has taken on me and my family, but I have no doubt that it has also been incredibly stressful for all of the others concerned. I hope that for them and for cricket, an inclusive healing process can now begin."

Vaughan was charged, along with Yorkshire County Cricket Club and six other former players, in June 2022 following a nine-month ECB investigation.

The 2005 Ashes-winning captain, who led England in 51 Test matches between 2003 and 2008, was the only respondent to appear at the CDC hearing at the International Arbitration Centre in London from 1-9 March.

The CDC panel, chaired by Tim O'Gorman, upheld some of the charges against former Yorkshire players Tim Bresnan, Matthew Hoggard, Andrew Gale, Richard Pyrah and John Blain, who all withdrew from the process.

Yorkshire and former England batter Gary Ballance previously admitted the charges against them.

Background to the Vaughan case

Former Yorkshire bowler Rafiq first made claims of historical racism at Headingley in August 2020 and in a Wisden article that month claimed a team-mate had made the alleged comment, but did not name Vaughan.

An independent investigation commissioned by Yorkshire upheld seven of Rafiq's 43 claims in September 2021, but the full report has never been published and the club said no player, employee or executive would face disciplinary action as a result of its findings, sparking widespread criticism.

The ECB began its own investigation in October 2021 and the following month Yorkshire were temporarily stripped of the right to host international matches, chairman Roger Hutton and chief executive Mark Arthur resigned, and several sponsors ended their partnerships with the club.

Vaughan revealed he was named in the report in November 2021 and denied the allegation.

Later that month - in an emotional testimony before a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport select committee in which he called English cricket "institutionally racist" - Rafiq said of Vaughan: "It's important on Michael that we don't make it all about Michael."

Giving evidence at the CDC hearing, Vaughan was critical of the ECB investigation, calling it "a terrible look for cricket" and said he "knows" he did not make the alleged comment because he was "proud" of it being the first time four Asian players had been in the same Yorkshire side.

He also denied having heard racial slurs while at Yorkshire.

Vaughan did apologise for sending "disgusting" historical tweets which were first brought to his attention in a 2021 BBC interview. ECB lawyer Jane Mulcahy KC argued the tweets showed it was "inherently probable" Vaughan made the alleged comment.

Vaughan's lawyer Christopher Stoner KC drew attention to discrepancies in Rafiq's evidence, including Rafiq telling the initial investigation that Vaughan said "there's too many of you lot, we need to do something about it".

Rafiq took "full responsibility" for the mistake but said he "clearly" recalled Vaughan making the comment insisting the former batter did say the phrase "there's too many of you lot".

England spinner Rashid and former Pakistan bowler Naved-ul-Hasan corroborated Rafiq's claim. Former England bowler Shahzad said he had no recollection of it happening.

Giving evidence via video link from Bangladesh on an England tour, Rashid said he had a "very clear recollection" of Vaughan making the comment and denied he had been "pressured" by Rafiq into corroborating the allegation.

Stoner called the ECB investigation "woefully inadequate" and criticised the governing body for not speaking to all the other Yorkshire players taking part in the match, the Sky cameraman and the umpires.

The ECB strongly denied an accusation of bias against Vaughan by Stoner, adding it was "inappropriate" to make that allegation.

Stoner said the case was "so critical" to Vaughan because "the shape of his life and his livelihood is at stake".

BBC

Full Vaughan statement:

Vaughan: I could not apologise for something I did not do

Michael Vaughan said in a statement:

"It has been both difficult and upsetting to hear about the painful experiences which Azeem has described over the past three years. The outcome of these CDC proceedings must not be allowed to detract from the core message that there can be no place for racism in the game of cricket, or in society generally.

"As with others who have spoken about their time at Yorkshire, I can only speak of my own experiences and of my own time there. The dismissal of the specific charge that concerned me takes nothing away from Azeem's own lived experiences. The hearing made public that Azeem and I met 18 months ago, well before the CDC proceedings came into existence. I told him then that I am sorry for his unacceptable, negative experiences at the club I love and in the sport I love. We had what I thought was a really positive and constructive discussion. We shook hands with a shared intention to work together in order to create positive change in cricket. For my part, nothing has altered in that respect.

"There is still a job to do and I remain keen to help bring about positive change in any way that I can. Cricket has been my life.

"Particularly with an issue such as this, CDC proceedings were an inappropriate, inadequate and backwards step. One of many reasons why I hold that view is because CDC proceedings are adversarial. They invite claim and counterclaim. They invite those involved to accuse each other of untruths or of lying. The inevitable consequence of the CB's decision-making was that three former team-mates, one of whom is a current England international player, were pitted against one another in what later became a public forum for the world at large to see. Despite being criticised by the ECB for not accusing others of lying, I remain of the view that no good can come of that approach. There are no winners in this process and there are better ways - there have to be better ways - for cricket to move forward positively and effectively.

"I have never wanted to do anything that runs contrary to genuine efforts to clean up the game of cricket.

"I truly hope people can understand why, on a personal level, I could not just accept, or apologise for, something which I know I did not do.

"At times, this process has brought me to the brink of falling out of love with cricket. I won't address here the toll that it has taken on me and my family, but I have no doubt that it has also been incredibly stressful for all of the others concerned. I hope that for them and for cricket, an inclusive healing process can now begin.

"Now that the ECB's charge against me has been dismissed, I want to thank the panel for their careful attention in very difficult circumstances and to thank all of those who have given me their support during an incredibly difficult period in my life."

SKY

Despite the acquittal, balance of probabilities does not sound convincing. No way will Vaughan's reputation be the same. People will still claim he got lucky and perhaps had a good legal team.

So 3 out of 4 cricketers heard him the say the racist phrase but the panel decides hes not guilty on the balance og probability?

Makes sense

Back