Mickey Arthur "It didn't seem like an ICC event to be brutally honest"

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Interesting comments from Mickey Arthur after today's match against India:

[Reporter:]

What factor, how much of a factor do you think such a big crowd and such a partisan crowd against you, like 130,000 people all against you, do you think that had any impact in the things you've mentioned, being timid, etc.?

[Mickey Arthur:]

Look, I'd be lying if I said it did. It didn't seem like an ICC event to be brutally honest. It seemed like a bilateral series; it seemed like a BCCI event. I didn't hear Dil Dil Pakistan coming through the microphones too often tonight.

So yes, that does play a role, but I'm not going to use that as an excuse because for us it was about living the moment, it was about the next ball and it was about how we were going to combat the Indian, the Indian players tonight.

It didn’t seem like an ICC event.

It felt like we were playing against a mediocre club level team in a practice game. Disgraceful stuff and PCB should be deducted money so that the fans who bought the expensive tickets with their hard earned moneys could get a refund.

Arthur doesn't know to stop digging when in a hole already.
It's a stadium of 120K people and even if there were 1000 Pakistani fans , they wouldn't be even 1% of the capacity and things would've hardly been different.

Or is he expecting average Indian fan to shout and cheer Dil Dil Pakistan ? Dude !

Mickey Arthur coach and team

Our cricket is dead and buried we are a mediocre side teams like South africa , India, England, Australia, New Zealand are the top sides.

We fall in with the likes of Sri Lanka , west indies , Bangladesh , zimbabwe , Afghanistan, Ireland, Netherlands etc we are in the second tier.

[Mickey Arthur:]

Look, I'd be lying if I said it did. It didn't seem like an ICC event to be brutally honest. It seemed like a bilateral series; it seemed like a BCCI event. I didn't hear Dil Dil Pakistan coming through the microphones too often tonight.
As per a NDTV report, when a BCCI official was asked about this:

"No harm in playing Dil Dil Pakistan. But do tell us when would it be played? When Babar was bowled or Rizwan got dismissed? Or when Rohit hit Shaheen for a six. You can only play it for fans and there were no fans."

Last edited:
Arthur's style of coaching is very stale in today's style of cricket. Don't know what Pakistan saw in him.

Yesterday Pakistan fans were sharing Mickey’s take as if the white bloke joining their propaganda would legitimize their excuses but all we have see so far is massive backlash from the fans on the internet against such soft lame excuses. This only proves that majority of the Pakistani fans are real ones and the burger kids on this forum are no genuine representatives of them.

This is a ludicrous excuse by Mickey, crowd in subcontinent blindly supports home team except very few occasions. There was no crowd support or Dil Dil Pakistan in 1996 QF @ Bangalore, in Kolkata test match which Pakistan won when Shoaib Akhtar got Sachin & Dravid out, 2011 SF @ Mohali, 2005 Bangalore Test Match which Pakistan won. Any international team must be mature enough to deal with this kind of situation.

one of the worst comments ive ever seen from a Pakistani manager, like please shut up, is the irony of dil dil Pakistan being blared over 130,000 indian fans cheering for the team your in charge of falling apart because they cant handle the pressure, and literally cant show any heart to rise to the occasion, not lost on you?

So i watched some Pakistani tv shows like I usually do during cricket matches because they have the best content out there (kudos to Pakistan cricket media) and these are the players that have openly ridiculed and criticized Mickey Arthur for creating this whole Dil Dil
Pakistan controversy :-

Wasim Akram
Modern Khan
Shoaib Malik
Rashid Latif
Wahan Riaz actually gave a nice 1 minute take on that sharing his own experiences of playing in Bharat and how this demand was just ridiculous and that Pakistan players do not need this to win matches.

There must be more
This is frankly speaking extremely embarrassing for Mickey Arthur because this is clearly not how he actually thinks and he would have never said something as stupid as that if he was still coaching South Africa. He just knows desi people are emotional about these things and tried to act brown which backfired massively on him because bro people are paying you white mans money to speak and act like a white man, they don’t expect you to indulge in brown man talk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually ICC has a playlist of songs for a tournament.

I remember at the 2019 World Cup where I attended a number of matches at different venues, it was the same songs.

Maybe the DJ at Ahmedababd, accidentally misplaced Dil Dil Pakistan :p
Here in India they hire a local DJ who generally performs at local wedding parties. This DJ at Ahmedabad was no different. Just played standard Bollywood tracks. Even when Pakistan hit a 4 or took wicket

His interview said a lot more. There's another thread which gives some context.

What a poor statement from Mickey, he should be sacked just because of this statement. If PCB had some spine they would sack him ASAP.

Mickey is very clever, he knows Pakistan ppls may blame him for Pakistan’s humiliating loss. To divert attention From main topic hez giving such statements… Till yesterday they all were praising Indian hospitality

Wasim Akram, Moin Khan and Shoaib Malik in response to Mickey Arthur's comments regarding the game said:

Wasim Akram:

“What did you plan against Kuldeep Yadav? That's what we want to hear, not this random stuff. You can't get away from this,”

Moin Khan:
“He's diverting attention. People are disheartened, and you are saying such emotional things. They should discuss things that they are appointed for, rather than such things. I understand it's an ICC event. But as a coach, you shouldn't really be saying such things,”

Shoaib Malik:
“I think we should rather praise them. If there's an event in our country, we should also utilize our home conditions like this,”​

I don’t care what anyone says, yes our performance once again wasn’t up to par but the lack of any crowd support was a factor because in sports all over the world a competitive edge is only truly there when both sets of supporters are there, a lot of people underestimate the support fans can give a team!

None of your own fans should have meant that you go out there and think I am going to shut this crowd up and show them what I can do.

Do you actually believe this could happen with this team? Not a chance.

None of your own fans should have meant that you go out there and think I am going to shut this crowd up and show them what I can do.

In fact at the toss when Babar Azam got booed by the crowd, you could clearly see that Babar was unnerved by the hostile crowd reaction. The discomfort was so clearly visible on his face. Not a great sign. U expect ur captain to have more steel

Imagine Virat Kohli in similar situation & getting booed by opposition fans. He wud be absolutely fired up & raring to go& give it back !

In fact at the toss when Babar Azam got booed by the crowd, you could clearly see that Babar was unnerved by the hostile crowd reaction. The discomfort was so clearly visible on his face. Not a great sign. U expect ur captain to have more steel

Imagine Virat Kohli in similar situation & getting booed by opposition fans. He wud be absolutely fired up & raring to go& give it back !

This shows that Babar doesn't have it for the big stage. Kohli thrives on abuse and challenges.

I remember during 2007-08 tour of Australia , due to the whole monkey gate thing, our players especially Harbhajan got a lot of heat from the home fans.

What we did?
We won the CB series beating home team 2-0

Last edited by a moderator:
Mickey Arthur doesn't seem like he does anything useful for the Pak team other than giving media-friendly bytes. He seems pretty shrewd in that regard.

I know Gary Kirsten was our coach when we won in 2011, but have always been skeptical of the usefulness of South Africans in some kind of captaincy/coaching role for a team. It might sound racist, but I think there is a generation of them that have been scarred by the loss of their cricketing days due to the anti-Apartheid rules and later by the chokes that have followed SA in big tournaments.

I think the current lot of SA players might grow older into good coaches, but just don't employ the previous generation and that includes the likes of even Morkel.

I didn't see any Pakistani supporter in that game. Were all tickets bought by Indians?

It definitely felt like a bilateral game.

I didn't see any Pakistani supporter in that game. Were all tickets bought by Indians?

Very difficult or rather impossible for Pakistanis to get visa to India. Forget Pakistani nationals, even Pakistani origin expats find it very difficult if not impossible

There was fear etched on the faces of the Pakistan players.

Timid in nature and timid in the way they play their cricket.

I can imagine some of the great Pakistani players of the past would have thrived in such an atmosphere.

This shows that Babar doesn't have it for the big stage. Kohli thrives on abuse and challenges.
Babar is very nice guy. The typical good boy. But he does not have that streetfighter cred in him unlike Kohli.

This is what sets Kohli or Brian Lara or Kevin Pietersen apart. They loved it when they had their backs to the wall. I once remember Australian cricketers said that never sledged Brian Lara bcoz it only made matters worse for them

Mickey is very clever, he knows Pakistan ppls may blame him for Pakistan’s humiliating loss. To divert attention From main topic hez giving such statements… Till yesterday they all were praising Indian hospitality
This is the fact. Mickey is not stupid. He knows pak got beaten hands down with a timid attitude and an average bowling attack and no fight. Diverting this with these silly statements- he knows the pak supporters will lap it up..

Babar is very nice guy. The typical good boy. But he does not have that streetfighter cred in him unlike Kohli.

This is what sets Kohli or Brian Lara or Kevin Pietersen apart. They loved it when they had their backs to the wall. I once remember Australian cricketers said that never sledged Brian Lara bcoz it only made matters worse for them
Yup, Nathan Lyon mentions in ‘The Test’ Netflix docuseries that Kohli has the Australian swag in him - you can see the respect the Australians have for Kohli. He would have thrived in an environment like this - would have just told his boys to give the opposite side 100 overs of hell.

Arthur is right.

This was not a world cup event. It was an India event.

Compare it to the MCG or some other events on the world stage.

No comparison.

Usually there is at least a contigent of several thousand Pakistani fans.

This had nothing of the sort.

There are some people who want to downplay that.

Yes I agree with them that we didn't lose just because of that. But let's be frank and honest about the conditions for this match also.

Adding on to my previous post, our team only got visas like a day and a bit before they were due to arrive. How unsettling is that? That's screwed up fellows. And our press and fans likes ourselves were unable to get visas.

Let's not normalize this. It is so uncool.

Arthur is right.

This was not a world cup event. It was an India event.

Compare it to the MCG or some other events on the world stage.

No comparison.

Usually there is at least a contigent of several thousand Pakistani fans.

This had nothing of the sort.

There are some people who want to downplay that.

Yes I agree with them that we didn't lose just because of that. But let's be frank and honest about the conditions for this match also.
Even if Arthur is right (and he is), this is not how a national team coach responds to when asked about the poor performance of his team. This is called deflecting the blame from the real issues and only shows the timidity of the Pakistani team. If this team was led by IK or Akram, they would have given it right back.

Even if Arthur is right (and he is), this is not how a national team coach responds to when asked about the poor performance of his team. This is called deflecting the blame from the real issues and only shows the timidity of the Pakistani team. If this team was led by IK or Akram, they would have given it right back
Even if Arthur is right (and he is), this is not how a national team coach responds to when asked about the poor performance of his team. This is called deflecting the blame from the real issues and only shows the timidity of the Pakistani team. If this team was led by IK or Akram, they would have given it right back.
Perhaps. Or Perhaps he's expressing what the team wanted to but couldn't and how they try to make themselves feel better. I dont' know but what I do know is that the team failed and that yes it's no excuse but yes also that that was one hell of an atmosphere for young guys like abdullah and saud and nawaz to face.

Indians are incredibly hostile to Pakistanis. They hate us in India. They think we are terrorists and awful people. Yes sometimes our team gets some good welcome from a few hundred people but this was 120,000 people against 2 people in the crowd and 11 on the field. That kind of sucks lol. According to the BBC it was a 65000 to 1 ratio lol.

These kind of comments also incentives Indian fans and staff to ensure that the ingame experience is poor for the remainder of the game.

Pakistan are always rattled against India in a WC no matter where they play.

At the end of the day though, despite the hostile crowd there are glaring flaws in the team.

We need to sort out the Shadab and Nawaz spots for starters.

Micky Arthur the loudmouth laptop coach should be looking in to the abysmal batting collapse and ordinary bowling. Instead he is trying to get the heat off himself by spouting rubbish like this. I mean it would be okay if a social media troll says things like this but and intnl coach/? LMAO

India would have humbled Pakistan even if the Stadium was empty. Incredibly lame excuses.

Pakistan would have looked incompetent against Jadeja and Kuldeep even if the stadium was empty.

For anyone out there beating on a about how the crowd does not matter etc, cite some examples where the visiting team beat the home team with a 100% home team crowd.

Easy to to be arm chair critics, lets see some precedence.

India would have humbled Pakistan even if the Stadium was empty. Incredibly lame excuses.

Pakistan would have looked incompetent against Jadeja and Kuldeep even if the stadium was empty.
Pakistan humbled India with a 10 wicket win in 2021 T20 WC with a fair share of fans from both sides.

What are you on about?

Pakistan humbled India with a 10 wicket win in 2021 T20 WC with a fair share of fans from both sides.

What are you on about?

We need to move on from that T20 game. India has comfortably shown in their last two ODIs against Pakistan where we stand.

Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot.

An ODI in Lahore with no Indian fans - do you seriously believe that would bother this Indian team, not a chance. They would want to perform, win and show aggression and prove to the opposition and the fans that a lack of their own fans does not bother them at all.

We need to move on from that T20 game. India has comfortably shown in their last two ODIs against Pakistan where we stand.
Oh so that's your excuse, to move on is it?

Point stands, cite one game in the history of sports where the visiting team beat the home team with 0% representing the visiting team in the crowd.

Just one example is all I am asking for.

As per a NDTV report, when a BCCI official was asked about this:

"No harm in playing Dil Dil Pakistan. But do tell us when would it be played? When Babar was bowled or Rizwan got dismissed? Or when Rohit hit Shaheen for a six. You can only play it for fans and there were no fans."
No when Babar and Rizwan were scoring boundaries.

BCCI official is such a fool, thinking Dil Dil Pakistan is only played when wickets fall.

At least this BCCI official admits there were no Pakistan fans.

There are two issues here -

1) Lack of fans allowed to come to a world cup match

2) how the lack of fans impacted the result of the match

Hard to argue Point 2, but should never have gotten to point 2.

Look, I doubt 5 or 10 thousand fans would make a difference in the results. And yes, I think arthur should be critisized if that was an excuse. But I also think he was totally right to highlight something that hasn't been highlighted enough for what is supposed to be a global event.

Mickey Arthur had a point. Pakistani players probably didn't feel the warm embrace of having anthemic songs playing while Rizwan and Babar were bossing India and they may have lost confidence in their batting because they didn't hear "Dil Dil Pakistan" blaring from the speakers. That could well be the cause for Pakistan's batting collapse against a bowling attack of a quality they can't find back home.

I did notice that no English anthems were played by the DJ either when Brook was batting and the role of the DJ is somewhat questionable.

One wonders if Brook lost confidence and threw his wicket too because he didn't hear any familiar, English anthems to sustain his belief in his batting ability.

Should England join Pakistan and officially complain about the DJ's and their choice of music at Indian stadiums? :inti

When your team humiliated badly then all the excuse came to hide the real facts.
If Pakistan would have won then there is no talk about Pakistan fans or dil dil Pakistan songs was not played.

England lost because Afghans are a rising team with some seriously damaging players. They will only get better assuming cricket is still considered a serious sport in that nation.

I wonder - were bollywood songs played when India was playing in Australia and England during the previous world cups?

Also why stop at Dil dil Pakistan, why not British or Australian or Sri Lankan songs?

I wonder - were bollywood songs played when India was playing in Australia and England during the previous world cups?

Also why stop at Dil dil Pakistan, why not British or Australian or Sri Lankan songs?
The most famous British song is Rule Britannia. I wonder if Brits will be allowed to sing that if they face India in Gujarat?

Dil Dil pakistan is normally played when a 6 is hit or wicket is taken

How many sixes did these lot hit? Or how many wickets did they take that dil dil pakistan should have been played ?

He is not wrong. Poor organization by the ICC/BCCI that there are almost no Pakistani fans and journalists. Compare that to how things are done in football. He makes a valid point, this is not how a global tournament should be arranged.

This is a separate matter from the poor performance of the team however.

He is not wrong. Poor organization by the ICC/BCCI that there are almost no Pakistani fans and journalists. Compare that to how things are done in football. He makes a valid point, this is not how a global tournament should be arranged.

This is a separate matter from the poor performance of the team however.
Why don't he be straight and say the whole team got anxious when they saw too many indian supporters

Mickey Arthur had a point. Pakistani players probably didn't feel the warm embrace of having anthemic songs playing while Rizwan and Babar were bossing India and they may have lost confidence in their batting because they didn't hear "Dil Dil Pakistan" blaring from the speakers. That could well be the cause for Pakistan's batting collapse against a bowling attack of a quality they can't find back home.

I did notice that no English anthems were played by the DJ either when Brook was batting and the role of the DJ is somewhat questionable.

One wonders if Brook lost confidence and threw his wicket too because he didn't hear any familiar, English anthems to sustain his belief in his batting ability.

Should England join Pakistan and officially complain about the DJ's and their choice of music at Indian stadiums? :inti
😂😂. I agree fully with this take. Pak shoidk officially lodge a complaint. Words of a great coach who has coached SA, Aus, SL and Pakistan cannot be swept under the carpet just like that. Maybe Pakistani batsman were used to hearing their songs everytime they hit a boundary. And not hearing that could have impacted their mental state and concentration. Coach has a great point and needs to be investigated further.

There was fear etched on the faces of the Pakistan players.

Timid in nature and timid in the way they play their cricket.

I can imagine some of the great Pakistani players of the past would have thrived in such an atmosphere.

Even the 2005 team which won 4-2 after being 0-2 showed real guts.

Point stands, cite one game in the history of sports where the visiting team beat the home team with 0% representing the visiting team in the crowd.

define 0% ... are you saying that there were literally ZERO Pak fans yesterday excluding officials, press and commentators or is that an exaggeration of sorts ? In other words how many opposition fans ( % wise ) would be needed at a home game to ensure your highlighted sentence to be valid/invalid ?

I'm pretty sure I saw a green shirt at least 4-5 times :) , so technically, it can't be 0%.

But seriously, crowd support need not matter to a team. Pull up footage of vintage matches in India and do you seriously believe, Australians or English travelers can be found in those crowds? Firstly, tourism was low those days and the only ones brave enough to be here were most likely to be lying on some beach in Goa or scouring the foothills of Manali.

The tied test match in Chennai is a crazy one. The Indian crowd was so hostile and chucking stuff on the fielders. Greg Matthews who was destructive that day, chose to enjoy it rather than fear them. There's one hilarious moment where he acts like a dog, I mean literally, while performing an obscene gesture to mock the crowd. Same goes for the Eden Gardens for visiting teams. At least nowadays, with all the netting, visiting teams need not worry about physical harm. Just go out there and silence them, if you have the ability to do so.

So the secret sauce for Pakistani players to do well is hearing vital signs everytime they go out to bat or bowl. Let's wake the ghost of Junaid Jamshed to come perform next time. I am not Pakistani, but I love the tune of dil dil Pakistan. I don't think Indians would be opposed to it playing at all if Mickey has requested for it to be added to the play list at the stadium.

Remember when India humiliated Pakistan by 228 runs in Asia cup at that they were blaming rain, BCCI and Jay Shah

Now India humiliated Pakistan by 7 wkts in WC…..there is no rain around, hospitality of BCCI and JAY Shah at its best… then to whom shall they blame? Therefore they now blaming crowds.

Crowd is not present.

Jai Shri Ram was played.

Visas were not issued.

Ahmedabad was not a good venue.

All these excuses are for losers.

And I know why fans are making them.

They want to deflect the terrible Pakistani performance of 191 all out on a flat pitch vs India.

You can be sure if Pakistan had won the match, this forum would have erupted in a different direction about how Kohli is useless, Bumrah is useless, Rohit is FTB etc.

You cant criticize India in cricket match or their players for winning.

So lets criticize their stadiums, fans, crowds, toilets, hospitality, pitches so Pakistan doesnt look bad for being completely destroyed in the match.

Crowd is not present.

Jai Shri Ram was played.

Visas were not issued.

Ahmedabad was not a good venue.

All these excuses are for losers.

And I know why fans are making them.

They want to deflect the terrible Pakistani performance of 191 all out on a flat pitch vs India.

You can be sure if Pakistan had won the match, this forum would have erupted in a different direction about how Kohli is useless, Bumrah is useless, Rohit is FTB etc.

You cant criticize India in cricket match or their players for winning.

So lets criticize their stadiums, fans, crowds, toilets, hospitality, pitches so Pakistan doesnt look bad for being completely destroyed in the match.

Respect for being practical/pragmatic/logical/realistic 🙏

I do think that having some crowd behind you can help, but how can a coach say something like this after losing so badly. It's just a distraction. He said this for Pakistani audience and even Pakistani audience is not buying it.

I initially thought that some one is trolling, but there is an actual transcript.

Yeah and it is clear why Rizwan was so damn disappointed at missing his 50.

Even if they have visas to a thousand Pakistanis, it wouldn't be 1% of the crowd.
And no country is going to roll out 10K visas to a hostile neighboring country lol.
So ultimately, crowd was never going to be a factor. Pak team should have factored that into their preparations.

Back