Mickey Arthur needs to make it clear to the Pakistani batsmen that a draw is not an option

hur rizvi

Senior Test Player
Runs
Mickey and co. need to make it very clear that draw is not an option if we get a 90 over day.

Yes Title says it all

2-0 or 1-0 in both cases we lose the series.

So just go out there tomorrow and try to chase this.

I would happily take 280 AO loss than 280/5 draw

So yes play cautiously for an hour or so, but after that go for all out aggression.

The game does not have the Galle and Sharjah chase vibe we went in to the last innings with momentum on our side here we were just awaiting the declaration these things make a difference we will be bowled out for around 200.

The game does not have the Galle and Sharjah chase vibe we went in to the last innings with momentum on our side here we were just awaiting the declaration these things make a difference we will be bowled out for around 200.

Thats not the point. Point is just go after the target

4 rpo on Day 5?

I guess an argument can be made for both cases (go for win or draw).

If you go for win, you will gifting NZ a series whitewash (90% chance) and lose so many points unnecessarily.

Why not suck up the pride, draw this and go into Aus with a better frame of mind?

But then Kohli would have gone for the win and I would have cheered that. Adelaide got my heart pumping big time and I was glad he did that (those those who may say, there was no need to waste a chance in the 1st test of a series....we have to understand that wins for desi teams outside Asia are RARE...we are NOT expected to win so when we get a chance, going for it makes more sense...the approach in Asia would be different).

So screw it....go for the win and try to draw the series.

All the best.

they will go for it Mickey will make sure they do but it will not work as I said its one of those tours which you want to be over as soon as possible.

One of Azhar/Sami whoever survived will be asked to drop the anchor while rest will be asked to play freely Sarfaraz may get a promotion but it will not work we loose by a big margin.

4 rpo on Day 5?

I guess an argument can be made for both cases (go for win or draw).

If you go for win, you will gifting NZ a series whitewash (90% chance) and lose so many points unnecessarily.

Why not suck up the pride, draw this and go into Aus with a better frame of mind?

But then Kohli would have gone for the win and I would have cheered that. Adelaide got my heart pumping big time and I was glad he did that (those those who may say, there was no need to waste a chance in the 1st test of a series....we have to understand that wins for desi teams outside Asia are RARE...we are NOT expected to win so when we get a chance, going for it makes more sense...the approach in Asia would be different).

So screw it....go for the win and try to draw the series.

All the best.

Points stuff is BS

1-0 or 2-0 is a loss any way

So yes screw everything and just try to chase it

Wonder if we are thinking about chasing it, because it's been done by us twice vs Sri Lanka 360-370 odd.

Would we have gone for the win if the target was 400? I seriously doubt it.

Interesting how 30 runs makes us optimistic of success.

I don't think this Pakistani side except Azhar and maybe Misbah have the temperament for blockathon. Might as well just play your natural game and treat it like a ODI.

You will lose but you will have instilled a go for win mentality in the youngsters that are going to take the team forward.

I think if Pak go for draw, they'll get bowled out around 180-200 early 3rd session. If they go for the kill who knows, didn't they chase 350+ vs SL in UAE once? Different conditions and superior bowling attack but there's nothing to lose here.

Wonder if we are thinking about chasing it, because it's been done by us twice vs Sri Lanka 360-370 odd.

Would we have gone for the win if the target was 400? I seriously doubt it.

Interesting how 30 runs makes us optimistic of success.

If not for Watling doing his block block, NZ could have easily added 30 more run in same time. I guess 370 may help to make this test better if Pakistan decides to go for it.

Our team plays a Test Match in NZ after 5 years, and our only Tour game is washed out.. we are not as fortunate as India who played 5 ODIs and a Tour Game before the start of their Test Series, and they still lost a very respectable 1-0... I would take 1-0 anyday than a whitewash..

Most of the players came into the Test Series with not knowing how the pitch will act or how long will the new ball last.. Compared to that we looked a better team in the 2nd Test match, more equipped and put up a decent total on board.. I would be happy if we can draw this Test Match..

We have shown some character in this series, but this series has prepared us well for the Australia Test Matches and I wouldn't be too bummed out by a 1-0 series defeat nonetheless, that is where our main focuses should lie..

Also a win is out of the question, haven't heard of 368 being made in a day..

The blame of this series loss solely lies on our Cricket Board and no one else..

No need to try and make up for the shoddy planning we received from our management, and schedule makers who squished a prolong series vs the WI and that affected our side, who barely had two weeks to recover and travel to NZ to play the first game...

So the defeat in the first game goes solely to our Board for allowing so little time for our team to adjust to the conditions..

I will bat slowly and play out a draw, because I would consider the first game we played our practice game.. this is the first real game we actually played in NZ, and a draw will be an acceptable result if you view this Test Match individually

No point in considering this our first game and play for a draw when this does not achieve anything. 2-0 or 1-0 sounds the same to me , go out and try to chase the total instead of blockathon like last match.

No point in considering this our first game and play for a draw when this does not achieve anything. 2-0 or 1-0 sounds the same to me , go out and try to chase the total instead of blockathon like last match.

It does, it gives respectability..a whitewash is a whitewash

Our team plays a Test Match in NZ after 5 years, and our only Tour game is washed out.. we are not as fortunate as India who played 5 ODIs and a Tour Game before the start of their Test Series, and they still lost a very respectable 1-0... I would take 1-0 anyday than a whitewash..

Most of the players came into the Test Series with not knowing how the pitch will act or how long will the new ball last.. Compared to that we looked a better team in the 2nd Test match, more equipped and put up a decent total on board.. I would be happy if we can draw this Test Match..

We have shown some character in this series, but this series has prepared us well for the Australia Test Matches and I wouldn't be too bummed out by a 1-0 series defeat nonetheless, that is where our main focuses should lie..

Also a win is out of the question, haven't heard of 368 being made in a day..

The blame of this series loss solely lies on our Cricket Board and no one else..

No need to try and make up for the shoddy planning we received from our management, and schedule makers who squished a prolong series vs the WI and that affected our side, who barely had two weeks to recover and travel to NZ to play the first game...

So the defeat in the first game goes solely to our Board for allowing so little time for our team to adjust to the conditions..

I will bat slowly and play out a draw, because I would consider the first game we played our practice game.. this is the first real game we actually played in NZ, and a draw will be an acceptable result if you view this Test Match individually

I highly disagree, cricket is not played on hypothetical and what if scenarios. It's a game that gets counted for what you churn out on a particular day and we've been below par no matter how you look at it.

Not every away series would be one where we could get a month long warm up, if we are aiming to be a top team like how SA were previously then we need to stop ducking for excuses and deliver the goods when mattered.

I have been following Pakistan cricket for 19 years now and trust me, in my experience we never block ourselves to a draw. If we go by such a mindset WE WILL LOSE the game in the 1st session alone.

2-0 is the writing on the wall, no matter which way you look at it - Edgbaston was a classic example of us mucking up when we were aiming for a draw. Our best and only chance is to go hard at the target and try to achieve this.

It will put NZ under pressure for the first time in the series and would give our batters the much needed confidence to put up any sort of fight in Australia. Micky will most probably would advise the lads to go for the win! which in my opinion is the correct way to go

Mickey and co. need to make it very clear that draw is not an option if we get a 90 over day.

Yes Title says it all

So yes play cautiously for an hour or so, but after that go for all out aggression.
This is completely bonkers.

369 in 91 overs is an IMPOSSIBLE Test target Down Under.

Never been done, never will be done.

The series points count towards qualification for the 2019 World Test Championship Final. You lose three ranking points if you lose 1-0, but five points if you lose 2-0.

Tomorrow is about:

1) Saving the game,
2) Azhar Ali getting into form,
3) Sami Aslam getting into form and adapting to the conditions,
4) Younis Khan doing the same.

The Cairns match next week is a near-certain washout. So tomorrow is the last chance for the batsmen to hit form before the First Test in Brisbane.

Batting out 90 overs to save a match is hardly a blockathon. If they finish on something like 300/5 or 6 they'll take a fair bit of confidence and momentum forward.

To give us an idea of what kind of task they face to win the match the betting odds for a Pakistan win is currently 40/1. (1 unit wins 40). That's a long long shot.

I highly disagree, cricket is not played on hypothetical and what if scenarios. It's a game that gets counted for what you churn out on a particular day and we've been below par no matter how you look at it.

Not every away series would be one where we could get a month long warm up, if we are aiming to be a top team like how SA were previously then we need to stop ducking for excuses and deliver the goods when mattered.

I have been following Pakistan cricket for 19 years now and trust me, in my experience we never block ourselves to a draw. If we go by such a mindset WE WILL LOSE the game in the 1st session alone.

2-0 is the writing on the wall, no matter which way you look at it - Edgbaston was a classic example of us mucking up when we were aiming for a draw. Our best and only chance is to go hard at the target and try to achieve this.

It will put NZ under pressure for the first time in the series and would give our batters the much needed confidence to put up any sort of fight in Australia. Micky will most probably would advise the lads to go for the win! which in my opinion is the correct way to go

Please refer to [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] post, there is a time where you have to accept defeat.. and prepare for the next game, this is that time, any chance of us winning this game was gone once NZ put a lead past 200.. Our bowling failed and that was that... what you can do is restore some pride and not give free wickets away, and put a price on your wicket like Babar Azam did..

Sami Aslam needs to atone himself, so does Azhar Ali..

NZ has runs to play with.. they will want our bowlers to go after them.. you have to read the opposition, the game has gone to a point of no return

The series points count towards qualification for the 2019 World Test Championship Final. You lose three ranking points if you lose 1-0, but five points if you lose 2-0.

Tomorrow is about:

1) Saving the game,

The Cairns match next week is a near-certain washout. So tomorrow is the last chance for the batsmen to hit form before the First Test in Brisbane.

Mark my words....we will muck it up if we go for a final day dig in mentality. We have to approach this as a straight shootout of 90 odd overs and 350 odd runs as the target....

BTW weren't you the one who keeps on advocating for UA to be in the team since he plays at a 'certain pace' and now you're saying we should NOT GO FOR THE TARGET ???? :facepalm:

Yes Title says it all

A perfect day would look like this:

Lunch 100-0
Azhar 45 not out
Sami 45 not out

Tea 220-2
Younis 35 not out
Babar 35 not out
Azhar out for 70
Sami out for 70

Close 315-4
Shafiq 30 not out
Younis 75 not out
Babar out for 40
Rizwan out for 5

That would be the perfect day.

Does not , 1-1 does though.

Even if we have 10 Afridi's in our lineup we will not win this game.. Afridi statistically has a 1/10 chance of performing, and even if 1 of the 10 Afridi goes on to get a 100, the other 10 will be out for 6-10 runs, and our total score will be 150-160 allout in 25 overs

Mark my words....we will muck it up if we go for a final day dig in mentality. We have to approach this as a straight shootout of 90 odd overs and 350 odd runs as the target....

BTW weren't you the one who keeps on advocating for UA to be in the team since he plays at a 'certain pace' and now you're saying we should NOT GO FOR THE TARGET ???? :facepalm:

It's a completely impossible target. No team on earth could reach it.

I'm not arguing for a blockathon, in my post above I'd love a score of 315-4 comprised of

Azhar 70 (140 balls)
Sami 70 (120)
Babar 40 (60)
Younis 75 not out (140)
Rizwan 10 (20)
Shafiq 30 not out (60)

I'm not arguing for a blockathon, in my post above I'd love a score of 315-4 comprised of

Azhar 70 (140 balls)
Sami 70 (120)
Babar 40 (60)
Younis 75 not out (140)
Rizwan 10 (20)
Shafiq 30 not out (60)

You know what....They said the same thing when we started that chase against SL at Sharjah in 2014. By the end of the day it was a New World Record !!

Cricket isn't played on spreadsheets or hypotheticals, it's played by an approach which makes the most amount of sense in a given situation.

Right now a 24 month long streak and a 30 year old record hangs in the balance. Plus we need a win to muster a bit of confidence before we head to Australia.

Have a little faith [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] bhai, I am sure Micky too would be looking at a plan on how we can chase this tomorrow hopefully !!

Why?

Sami Aslam, Azhar Ali and Younis Khan DESPERATELY need time in the middle.

They need to be at the crease at least 40 overs each, and to score at least 50.

They have no confidence and no form and tomorrow is the only chance to get some.

You know what....They said the same thing when we started that chase against SL at Sharjah in 2014. By the end of the day it was a New World Record !!

Cricket isn't played on spreadsheets or hypotheticals, it's played by an approach which makes the most amount of sense in a given situation.

Right now a 24 month long streak and a 30 year old record hangs in the balance. Plus we need a win to muster a bit of confidence before we head to Australia.

Have a little faith [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION] bhai, I am sure Micky too would be looking at a plan on how we can chase this tomorrow hopefully !!

Imagine that Babar Azam scores 170 not out from 260 balls, Sarfraz is promoted and scores 160 from 200 balls and Pakistan wins.

But

Azhar 15 (30)
Sami 0 (15)
Younis 10 (20)

That is worse than a draw in which everyone scores runs.

Imagine that Babar Azam scores 170 not out from 260 balls, Sarfraz is promoted and scores 160 from 200 balls and Pakistan wins.

But

Azhar 15 (30)
Sami 0 (15)
Younis 10 (20)

No this isnt. In that case match will go down as one of the best wins ever for Pakistan

Last edited:
Why?

Sami Aslam, Azhar Ali and Younis Khan DESPERATELY need time in the middle.

They need to be at the crease at least 40 overs each, and to score at least 50.

They have no confidence and no form and tomorrow is the only chance to get some.

Sami and Aslam can bat cautiously for an hour being openers.

Younus doesnt have a negative bone in his body. In his mind he will be going for the chase any way

In terms of ranking points does it matter if we lose 2-0 or 1-0? If it does then I would recommend playing to draw

Azhar and sami will have to play around 3 rpo minimum

Shouldn't go in with a strict mindset one way or the other.

Remain flexible and reevaluate at lunch.

The template for me is set,

Play normally in the first session with a little bit of minor intent in the 2nd hour and be 100-1 by lunch 34 overs bowled before lunch leaving 64 overs and 268 runs.

1st hour after lunch aim for 45 runs in 13 overs. (Promote Sohail Khan to number 4 if needed to achieve this)
Just tell him to tee off. Last thing we will need is YK coming and scratching around

That leaves 51 overs and 223 runs, hopefully with 7 wickets in the shed and Sarfaraz and Babar at the crease.

They need a 100 run partenrship with Sarfaraz taking all the risks to manouvere the ball. Sarfaraz doesnt need to be stupid but these 2 should try to bat at 4.5rpo for 20 overs.

That leaves 31 overs and 133 runs, then it is down to YK, Shafiq, Wahab and Amir, with Babar seeing it home.

We only need 40s and 50s from Sami Azhar Sarfaraz and a quick 30 from Sohail, and it is a flattish wicket.
The key is not to go too hard too early.

The first session is 2 and a half hours so just play a solid session out.

I maybe expecting too much from Babar but there is no point not going for this run chase.

I will be disappointed if we didnt give it a crack

Anyway mickey will go for it and without misbah around and azhar not having enough authority yet they sure are going for it.

Tomorrow is about:

1) Saving the game,

Lunch 100-0
Azhar 45 not out
Sami 45 not out

Tea 220-2
Younis 35 not out
Babar 35 not out
Azhar out for 70
Sami out for 70

Close 315-4
Shafiq 30 not out
Younis 75 not out
Babar out for 40
Rizwan out for 5

There would still be 7 overs left to get 50 runs;)

Its a 98 over day is it not!!

And not like the tuk tukers will be able to draw it even if they wanted in this pressure situation.

Lunch 100-0
Azhar 45 not out
Sami 45 not out

Tea 220-2
Younis 35 not out
Babar 35 not out
Azhar out for 70
Sami out for 70

Close 315-4
Shafiq 30 not out
Younis 75 not out
Babar out for 40
Rizwan out for 5

So the perfect day is being just 53 behind with 6 wickets remaining which means if they batted about 0.6 rpo faster they would have win :yk without considering 5-6 overs added.
If they go for a draw they are either going to be allout around 150 or drawing it and finish around 200,but with these mental midgets former is more likely.

Ha! You've found me out!

367 in 98 overs is not impossible in NZ with the size of ground & the wicket flattening out. I think, NZ is the best place to target such totals if anyone dares. However, I don't think 98 overs will be bowled - both teams will take the advantage of ICC's invompetace regarding strict ruling on over rate.

Coming on to chase, I think it should be approached by sessions, obviously keeping in mind that a draw is far, far better than a loss. If PAK can reach say 170/1 at tea; then the target might be ~200 in 35 overs, which might be tried. But, Kiwis will get the new ball for last 20 overs - PAK can't go to 81st over with more than 4 down in any case.

They would be playing for a draw, don't see this side chasing it down and that is what Mickey would be telling them.

This sort of approach sounds great coming from a fan, but not many professional coaches would go with it. At best Arthur will advise the batsmen to go out there and play their natural game playing each ball on it's merits. If they get a good start then they can reassess it in the afternoon.

Realistically though, you would think Pakistan would be delighted to come away with a draw considering they've struggled to reach scores of 200 in this series, never mind score 365 on the final day with their backs to the wall.

We need to bat solidly early on with some intent to score some runs and try and set up the game so that we can have a go at the target in the 2nd and 3rd sessions.

[MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION]- I am sure it is a 98 over day

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically KW has been quite generous.

Why even give us a chance?

Because if YK or Azhar can get a hundred then mark my words we will get close at the least.

I'd be happy with a 2/0 loss as long as they try and chase for win. We will lose the series regardless so let's go down with a fight !!

But

Azhar 15 (30)
Sami 0 (15)
Younis 10 (20)

Win here to level the series is worse than a tame draw to lose the series? Very weird logic. Match practice is a decent point, but series is getting decided. How can you think it as a practice match? I have no issue with Pakistan playing for a draw here, but win is always better than a draw by a long margin.

Last edited:
Basically KW has been quite generous.

Why even give us a chance?

Because if YK or Azhar can get a hundred then mark my words we will get close at the least.

No the tail should be able to bat why do azhar and yk have to score runs.

Win here to level the series is worse than a tame draw to lose the series? Very weird logic. Match practice is a decent point, but series is getting decided. How can you think it as a practice match? I have no issue with Pakistan playing for a draw here, but win is always better than a draw by a long margin.

Because we want yk to scores 10000runs quickly so he can join dubai atg club :yk
Btw junaids is kidding he knows pak should try to win.

The weather forecast for today doesn't look good for the batting. Cloudy with some scattered showers.

Pakistan has not crossed even 250 once in the last 3 innings and people are expecting them to score 360+ in 4th innings on 5th day. This is hilarious seriously!

Pakistan is not winning this test. I would rather take 1-0 loss if it means Pakistani batsman get some match practice for the Australian tour. This is the perfect opportunity for them to find their form and gain some confidence/momentum for the next series.

Although I completely agree that Pakistan have nothing to lose and should go for the runs (4 an over if they get all of the overs in), I also believe that there is absolutely no chance of it happening. New Zealand have played well in this series and are overwhelming favourites to win it.

People saying there is no chance don't understand cricket.

Anything can happen.

After being 51/5 i'll take the current situation as we have done this in the past. Galle and Sharjah.

Depends on how we start. If we lose early wickets then they'll probably shut up shop.

People saying there is no chance don't understand cricket.

Anything can happen.

After being 51/5 i'll take the current situation as we have done this in the past. Galle and Sharjah.

But this match is not being played in Galle or Sharjah.

?

I know. But it's not impossible.

Souhthee is mentally weak and Santner is a newbie.

Obviously, anything is possible but you can only predict based on recent performance. Pakistan has barely crossed 200 once in this series, the expectation for them to chase down 360+ target is very unrealistic.

Also, the same can be said about Pakistan. Asad is mentally weak, Younis is out of form. Sami, Babar, and Rizwan are newbies. So, that leaves us with only Azhar and Sarfraz.

I'd go for it. Pointless dead batting everything.
SA were in a similar position in Australia 06.
Had to make a bold declaration as we would have lost the series 1-0 anyway. Gamble didn't pay of, lost 2-0, but there boys gained something from that game.

I hope they go for it!

Can't wait for the day to begin. Unfortunate I won't be able to watch.

But

Azhar 15 (30)
Sami 0 (15)
Younis 10 (20)

I wanted to go for the win but you have a point! after all this series was meaningless to begin with, I feel like Pak arrived in NZ in body but not spirit; we never got our warm up games but the NZ Test Series were the substitute for that. We need to make the best of a bad situation after the squad for AUS has been announced, the saving grace is that for the pink ball test we'd have prepared fairly well (even though we didn't spend as much time at the crease as we'd have liked but we know where we stand :yk3) but what will also be key is our understanding of conditions during the D/N Test.

Mickey sure listened to you lol. The fact is Pakistan just don't have the ability to play dynamic, aggressive cricket especially against good teams.

I think they are playing the way they need to in order to win this match

Draw is a very good option and Pak will stay second in the table

Azhar 70 (140 balls)
Sami 70 (120)
Babar 40 (60)
Younis 75 not out (140)
Rizwan 10 (20)
Shafiq 30 not out (60)
A perfect start.

Still on course for this.......

If Pakistan draw they retain the Number 2 ranking.

A draw would be a most credible result from the position they are in -- if they get to the last session with a sniff maybe give it a go, but not too lose should be the first objective.

Yes Title says it all

Great work buddy.

Some of us happen to think that 2-0 is twice as bad as 1-0.

disastrous tactics to chase 219 in one session. What was the mangement smoking?

Failure for mickey and a whitewash

Back