Mickey Arthur to be consultant team director, Grant Bradburn Head Coach & Morne Morkel bowling coach

I think Morkel is at the IPL.

Isn't he the bowling coach at Lucknow?

Yes.. Morne Morkel is at IPL, and he is the bowling coach of Lucknow… it was said tht he will join Pak team after NZ series, after IPL is over.. but is it only for one time..or will he also always take leave for IPL..like Mickey for derbyshire? Also Morne Morkel is also coach of SA t20 league…i think team associted with Lucknow giants..he is bowling coach there..also.. will Morne Morkel leave that or not for Pak ? I am afraid we will have two absentee coaches…Mickey Arthur and Morne Morkel… If that happens..it will mean Pak team have been officially declared as circus by Najam Sethi

I think Morkel is at the IPL.

Isn't he the bowling coach at Lucknow?

This will all end in tears.

The moment there is any point where he has to make a call between Pakistan and IPL, he will chose IPL.

This will all end in tears.

The moment there is any point where he has to make a call between Pakistan and IPL, he will chose IPL.

Yes..why are we obsessed now with absentee coaches? Because they are already saying that he will join after IPL.. will he do it everytime for IPL? And also for Sa t20 league?
Why are we desperate to bring coaches who are not even available for Pak?

Earlier this facility was available only for Mickey Arthur and it was said his support staff will be there whole yr on the ground but now it seems we will have another absentee bowling coach

Hope PCB reverses its decision of Morne Morkel.. Yasir Arafat would have been a much better option as he would be atleast fully committed to Pak team

As per a report:

Despite no official announcement from the Pakistan Cricket Board regarding the appointment of the new coaching staff, Grant Bradburn and Andrew Puttick are set to land in Lahore to take charge of the Pakistan team.

Strange why no official announcement still, when Bradburn and Andrew Puttick are even landing in Pakistan on Monday…

Also.. no update on Morne Morkel…

While speaking to BBC’s Test Match Special, Arthur described his consultancy role with Pakistan team as a ‘dream job’, as it allows him to work with Derbyshire County Club as a head coach as well.

"There would be some sort of consultancy role. It won’t be done on Zoom. I’ll get a support staff in for them and have that support staff report in to me. As soon as county season is finished, I will join up for the World Cup and tour of Australia later this year on a permanent basis"

"I worked very well with Najam Sethi when I was in Pakistan. He was the chairman of the board when I started. We had a bit of luck and won the Champions Trophy and our bond sort of grew from there. So when became chairman again, he wanted me to come and help him, but I said I wasn’t prepared to leave county cricket as this is where I am at my happiest"

“There would be some sort of consultancy role. It won’t be done on Zoom. I’ll get a support staff in for them and have that support staff report in to me. As soon as county season is finished, I will join up for the World Cup and tour of Australia later this year on a permanent basis“

Decent

Mickey Arthur “it’s very close. Pakistan know that I wasn’t giving Derbyshire up and they know that Derbyshire was a project of mine. I worked very well with Najam Sethi when I was in Pakistan. He was the Chairman of the Board when I started. We had a little bit of luck and won a Champions Trophy on the back of that and our bond sort of grew from there. So when he became Chairman he wanted me to come in and help him. But I said I wasn’t prepared to leave County cricket because this is where I’m at my happiest. So I am helping them and there will be some sort of consultancy role which certainly won’t be on Zoom. I’ll get support staff in and have the support staff reporting in to me. And as soon as County cricket season is finished I’ll join up for the World Cup and the tour of Australia this year on a permanent basis”

So I guess he will be a normal head coach for half the year, and a remote head coach during the county season

So from what Mickey is saying, he was always Sethi's first choice and it was just a case of working out how things could be sorted regarding the Derbyshire role.

The thing is though, Mickey has a long contract with Derbyshire, so will it be the same next year? With the team for part of the year and others take charge during the county season.

So from what Mickey is saying, he was always Sethi's first choice and it was just a case of working out how things could be sorted regarding the Derbyshire role.

The thing is though, Mickey has a long contract with Derbyshire, so will it be the same next year? With the team for part of the year and others take charge during the county season.

Yes.. i think so.. as Mickey is with derbyshire for next 3 yrs.. so Mickey’s arrangement will be the same, I think.. with derbyshire for county season, and rest of thw ye woth Pak, because he has made it absolutely clear that he is not leaving derbyshire

Only question remains is that whether we have agreed to a similar arrangement with Morne Morkel also? That he will leave for IPL everytime…ans also dor SA t20 league.? Will he be available for Pak full time or not? [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] can you ask this from your sources?

Yes..why are we obsessed now with absentee coaches? Because they are already saying that he will join after IPL.. will he do it everytime for IPL? And also for Sa t20 league?
Why are we desperate to bring coaches who are not even available for Pak?

Earlier this facility was available only for Mickey Arthur and it was said his support staff will be there whole yr on the ground but now it seems we will have another absentee bowling coach

Hope PCB reverses its decision of Morne Morkel.. Yasir Arafat would have been a much better option as he would be atleast fully committed to Pak team

BMac was dignified enough to give up his role in franchise cricket to become England's full time head coach. ECB would have obviously offered him a good deal. But Pak Cricket looks more like a part time gig for the coaches and it's awful both for the cricket and onlookers.

So no conflict of interest here? Coaching Derbyshire but a consultant with PCT

Next year is not even a question for me. This is Pakistan. With a new government in charge, Sethi, Mickey & their troops would all be fired by then.

Next year is not even a question for me. This is Pakistan. With a new government in charge, Sethi, Mickey & their troops would all be fired by then.

And Mickey knows this. He is a smart man with who has got to know real Pakistan.

If Imran endures through this witch hunt, he will be stronger than ever and win the majority. All of Sethi and his appointees will be toast. That's why he hasn't broken the county contract.

It seems like PCB has gone for a cheaper option in Morne Morkel as bowling coach… as per interview, to a media channel, Yasir Arafat has said..tht PCB told him after PSL, that we need experience and there are budget constraints, due to which he is not in consideration anymore…

Yasir is an experienced coach, with different counties….. yasir says that while morne morkel was still playing in 2019, I was coaching Surrey….

Why did PCB look for a cheaper option in Morne Morkel, who wont be even fully committed to Pak team….while Yasir said I was ready to shift to Pak…

I thiknk PCB must have wasted alll its budget on hiring Mickey Arthur as consultant, rather than investing in coaches, who will actually be on ground with the team.

Tells us about priorities and vision of najam sethi regime in PCB

Former Pakistan seamer, Umar Gul, will continue as the bowling coach of Pakistan for the upcoming New Zealand series.

Former pacer also served as Pakistan's bowling coach in the recently-concluded T20I series against Afghanistan.

According to sources, Mickey Arthur is gearing up to make his comeback as the national team's consultant. It has also been contemplated that Arthur will bring Grant Bradburn as the head coach, Andrew Puttick as a batting coach, and Morne Morkel as a bowling coach into the coaching personnel.

However, Morkel is currently busy working as a bowling coach for Lucknow Super Giants in the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL).

Due to Morkel’s unavailability, Gul will be hired on a temporary basis for the aforementioned series. Bradburn will most likely lead the coaching staff in the series.

A formal announcement regarding the coaching staff will be made after approval from PCB management committee Chairman, Najam Sethi.

CricketPakistan

Former Pakistan seamer, Umar Gul, will continue as the bowling coach of Pakistan for the upcoming New Zealand series.

Former pacer also served as Pakistan's bowling coach in the recently-concluded T20I series against Afghanistan.

According to sources, Mickey Arthur is gearing up to make his comeback as the national team's consultant. It has also been contemplated that Arthur will bring Grant Bradburn as the head coach, Andrew Puttick as a batting coach, and Morne Morkel as a bowling coach into the coaching personnel.

However, Morkel is currently busy working as a bowling coach for Lucknow Super Giants in the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL).

Due to Morkel’s unavailability, Gul will be hired on a temporary basis for the aforementioned series. Bradburn will most likely lead the coaching staff in the series.

A formal announcement regarding the coaching staff will be made after approval from PCB management committee Chairman, Najam Sethi.

CricketPakistan

[MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] do we have any update yet on Morkel’s arrangement? Whether he will leave coaching at IPL..after this season, for Pakistan team or not?

LAHORE: Pakistan’s head coach for the recently-concluded T20I series against Afghanistan Abdul Rehman will supervise the national men’s team’s training camp for the home T20I series against New Zealand.

According to the details, the team’s training camp will commence here on Friday while the players have been directed to report at National Cricket Academy (NCA) by tomorrow.

Grant Bradburn, the national men’s team’s potential assistant coach is likely to join the squad on April 11 while Rehman will serve as his assistant coach following the former’s arrival. Whereas, Abdul Majeed will continue his duty as the fielding coach.

Meanwhile, former Pakistan pacer Umar Gul, who was named as the bowling coach in the team’s coaching setup for the recently-held Afghanistan series will reach here tomorrow and continue his role with the national team.

A-sports

Morne Morkel is to take over as bowling coach after the end of the IPL next month.

Umar Gul will continue as bowling coach in the meantime.

LAHORE: Pakistan’s head coach for the recently-concluded T20I series against Afghanistan Abdul Rehman will supervise the national men’s team’s training camp for the home T20I series against New Zealand.

According to the details, the team’s training camp will commence here on Friday while the players have been directed to report at National Cricket Academy (NCA) by tomorrow.

Grant Bradburn, the national men’s team’s potential assistant coach is likely to join the squad on April 11 while Rehman will serve as his assistant coach following the former’s arrival. Whereas, Abdul Majeed will continue his duty as the fielding coach.

Meanwhile, former Pakistan pacer Umar Gul, who was named as the bowling coach in the team’s coaching setup for the recently-held Afghanistan series will reach here tomorrow and continue his role with the national team.

A-sports

Abdul Majeed will continue as fielding coach? Pathetic.. Pak team’s fielding has been pathetic under his watch, and yet he will continue..? Fielding coach should have been the first one to be replaced yet he has retained his job .. Amazing!! Why not appoint a foreign fielding coach also?

Derbyshire head of cricket Mickey Arthur says he accepted to work as a consultant with Pakistan after refusing to leave his "four-year project" with the County Championship side.

The South African, 54, turned down the chance to of a second spell as Pakistan coach in January.

Instead he will work with the national team as a consultant, while working full time at Derbyshire.

"Derbyshire has grown very close to me," Arthur said.

"It is a project we are nowhere near the competition of. It is a four-year project and I really want to make it a success."

The former Australia and Sri Lanka coach signed a contract extension, which runs until the end of the 2025 season, before Pakistan made their approach.

In his first campaign at the Incora County Ground, Arthur guided Derbyshire to a fifth-placed finish in Division Two of the County Championship last season.

They also achieved a club record nine wins in the group stage of the T20 Blast, before going out of the competition against Somerset in the quarter-finals.

Arthur said the addition of Pakistan batter Haider Ali and signing Matt Lamb from Warwickshire and pace bowler Zak Chappell from Nottinghamshire will make Derbyshire "a lot stronger".

"One of the reasons we got players of that ilk in is to bring that sort of hardnose, winning edge to the squad because we dominated a lot of games last season but couldn't get over the line," Arthur told BBC East Midlands Today.

Wayne Madsen, Derbyshire's longest-serving player and Division Two's top scorer last season, said "high goals" would be set this season.

"Realistically promotion is one of those," he said.

"We took strides last year in improving four-day cricket and now it's about turning draws into wins and promotion is then realistically possible."

BBC

Derbyshire head of cricket Mickey Arthur says he accepted to work as a consultant with Pakistan after refusing to leave his "four-year project" with the County Championship side.

The South African, 54, turned down the chance to of a second spell as Pakistan coach in January.

Instead he will work with the national team as a consultant, while working full time at Derbyshire.

"Derbyshire has grown very close to me," Arthur said.

"It is a project we are nowhere near the competition of. It is a four-year project and I really want to make it a success."

The former Australia and Sri Lanka coach signed a contract extension, which runs until the end of the 2025 season, before Pakistan made their approach.

In his first campaign at the Incora County Ground, Arthur guided Derbyshire to a fifth-placed finish in Division Two of the County Championship last season.

They also achieved a club record nine wins in the group stage of the T20 Blast, before going out of the competition against Somerset in the quarter-finals.

Arthur said the addition of Pakistan batter Haider Ali and signing Matt Lamb from Warwickshire and pace bowler Zak Chappell from Nottinghamshire will make Derbyshire "a lot stronger".

"One of the reasons we got players of that ilk in is to bring that sort of hardnose, winning edge to the squad because we dominated a lot of games last season but couldn't get over the line," Arthur told BBC East Midlands Today.

Wayne Madsen, Derbyshire's longest-serving player and Division Two's top scorer last season, said "high goals" would be set this season.

"Realistically promotion is one of those," he said.

"We took strides last year in improving four-day cricket and now it's about turning draws into wins and promotion is then realistically possible."

BBC

Pakistan is no where in Mickey Arthur’s priorities.. in every interview, he emphasiZes how Derbyshire is his priority yet we were so obsessed with Mickey Arthur that PCB would be paying him a handsome amount just for consultancy role, and for the actual coaches on ground, who will be with team whole year, PCB has compromised on their quality by going for cheaper options like Morne Morkel as bowling coach as PCB couldnt afford Yasir Arafat, and has gone for Andrew Puttick, an unknown batting coach and has not even hired a fielding coach..which should have been utmost priority

Why waste budget on Mickey Arthur..rather should have gone for better options of …on ground coaches…
There PCB said we have budget constraints yet are wasting money on Mickey Arthur who clearly doesnt take Pak as his priority..

Can anyone explain the wisdom behind these decisions of PCB where they are wasting money on one side and not going for higher value coaches who would actually be with team and citing budget constraints for that?

Azhar Mahmood was also approached regarding the interim head coach role for a series or two.

But PCB then had a change of heart.

Azhar Mahmood was also approached regarding the interim head coach role for a series or two.

But PCB then had a change of heart.

Azhar Mahmood in place of Grant bradburn? Or as replacement of Abdul Rehman ?

I think Azhar Mahmood must have charged more than Abdul Rehman, if he was considered for that role, and PCB has gone for cheaper options like Morne Morkel also, in place of Yasir Arafat
PCB must have exhausted its budget for a consultancy role to Mickey Arthur, and wasted its financial resources on him and has gone for cheaper options for actual coaches who will be with the team.. totally brainless and vision less decisions by PCB

The following will be the Player Support Personnel of the Pakistan men’s team for the upcoming T20I and ODI series against New Zealand:

Rehan Ul Haq (manager), Grant Bradburn (head coach), Abdul Rehman (assistant to head coach), Andrew Puttick (batting coach), Umar Gul (bowling coach), Cliffe Deacon (physiotherapist), Drikus Saaimon (strength and conditioning coach), Talha Ijaz (analyst), Ahsan Iftikhar Nagi (media and digital manager), Major (retd) Azhar Arif (security manager), Ammar Ahsan (videographer), Dr Najeeb Soomro (team doctor) and Malang Ali (masseur).

Mr Bradburn and Mr Puttick have been appointed for the New Zealand series and will arrive in Lahore on 11 April. The PCB will confirm the Pakistan team management for post-New Zealand series following the completion of the relevant recruitment processes, which are presently ongoing.

The following will be the Player Support Personnel of the Pakistan men’s team for the upcoming T20I and ODI series against New Zealand:

Rehan Ul Haq (manager), Grant Bradburn (head coach), Abdul Rehman (assistant to head coach), Andrew Puttick (batting coach), Umar Gul (bowling coach), Cliffe Deacon (physiotherapist), Drikus Saaimon (strength and conditioning coach), Talha Ijaz (analyst), Ahsan Iftikhar Nagi (media and digital manager), Major (retd) Azhar Arif (security manager), Ammar Ahsan (videographer), Dr Najeeb Soomro (team doctor) and Malang Ali (masseur).

Mr Bradburn and Mr Puttick have been appointed for the New Zealand series and will arrive in Lahore on 11 April. The PCB will confirm the Pakistan team management for post-New Zealand series following the completion of the relevant recruitment processes, which are presently ongoing.

Majeedi chacha no longer the fielding coach?

From this press release, it seems like PCB has appointed Grant Bradburn and Andrew Puttick for NZ series only. PCB has specifically mentioned this, and then said post NZ series, team management will be announced later. There was no need of taking their names, when PCB is saying, post NZ series, team management will be announced later…..atleast I get this impression from this press release..

Would Azhar not be a good choice given his recent experience?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Azhar Mahmood chats about Islamabad United, what Azam Khan needs to work on, where Asif Ali is lacking, Shadab Khan's strengths & weaknesses, why Faheem Ashraf deserves more chances, PCB wanting him as head coach, Ihsanullah’s qualities & more <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a><a href="https://t.co/pgc0sGttLv">https://t.co/pgc0sGttLv</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1644354834802397184?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 7, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:
From this press release, it seems like PCB has appointed Grant Bradburn and Andrew Puttick for NZ series only. PCB has specifically mentioned this, and then said post NZ series, team management will be announced later. There was no need of taking their names, when PCB is saying, post NZ series, team management will be announced later…..atleast I get this impression from this press release..

It is only because the last date for application of these posts is 17 April and they have have decided the candidates

Grant Bradburn

Wonderful to be back and really, really nice to have such a warm welcome. It's an honor to be back and serving Pakistan. I first arrived in Pakistan in 1990 with a New Zealand team and then had three wonderful years working with the team and all the coaches in Pakistan during 2019 to 2021. And it's an honor and a real honor and a privilege to to be serving Pakistan again. So wonderful opportunity, really looking forward to be working alongside Mickey Arthur and also the players and staff of this team.

There is so much talent in this team and I am looking forward to getting along them and perhaps influencing them to make some some real positive change.

Would Azhar not be a good choice given his recent experience?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Azhar Mahmood chats about Islamabad United, what Azam Khan needs to work on, where Asif Ali is lacking, Shadab Khan's strengths & weaknesses, why Faheem Ashraf deserves more chances, PCB wanting him as head coach, Ihsanullah’s qualities & more <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a><a href="https://t.co/pgc0sGttLv">https://t.co/pgc0sGttLv</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1644354834802397184?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 7, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He's got Surrey in the County Championship, Oval Invincibles in the Hundred and also T20 contracts in various leagues. I don't think he would give that stability up and go for a job where he could get a 1 year contract and then be booted out when the Govt changes.

All these guys including Mickey know that if Sethi goes then all of them will be shown the door.

That's why the likes of Mickey Arthur have not given up the security of the Derbyshire contract to take on a job at the PCB that could only last a few months.

All these guys including Mickey know that if Sethi goes then all of them will be shown the door.

That's why the likes of Mickey Arthur have not given up the security of the Derbyshire contract to take on a job at the PCB that could only last a few months.

Yes and this is the result when we have a tamasha system. Changing the head of cricket board is no big deal - every board does it - but when it is so blatantly political and done in such a tamasha way with Sethi and his cronies just barging in to the office and kicking everyone out at an hours notice then that sets a very bad impression around the world. Nobody in their right mind would trust this system.

We have elections later in the year in Pakistan and if Imran Khan wins the entire PCB will be overhauled again.

Yes and this is the result when we have a tamasha system. Changing the head of cricket board is no big deal - every board does it - but when it is so blatantly political and done in such a tamasha way with Sethi and his cronies just barging in to the office and kicking everyone out at an hours notice then that sets a very bad impression around the world. Nobody in their right mind would trust this system.

We have elections later in the year in Pakistan and if Imran Khan wins the entire PCB will be overhauled again.

And we'd all do the same as Mickey and co if in the same position.

Nobody would be daft enough to opt for what could be a very short stay at PCB as a coach.

Mickey in Pakistan for a preliminary visit

Will be with the squad until 20th April.

Wonder what he will achieve in this short trip?

rCy0odn.png

rCy0odn.png

I fully plan on meeting him in England

I’m going to express all my concerns to him

Mickey and Pakistan re-union!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vOYqkmCVn68" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mickey and Pakistan re-union!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vOYqkmCVn68" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This PCB social media gy needs to be reined in, clearly over sharing....Why did he not fade the whitebord. Stupidity all around.

rCy0odn.png
He is here to ensure his monthly standing order doesnt get cancelled.

As per a media report, attributed to a PCB source:

“Mickey will not be available in person most of the time during these months till the ODI World Cup. As director coaching his presence will be online barring a few occasions when he is expected to join the team, especially for mega events"

“Mickey Arthur’s trip to Pakistan is more for holding final negotiations which now has become a mere formality. The signing of the contract is also expected on Wednesday.”

“Mickey Arthur's meeting with the team's support staff, captain and the chief selector is also due within the next couple of days"

“Once a permanent set-up is there, such appointments should have been made. Till that time series-to-series arrangement would have been the most viable and sensible option"

Grant Bradburn confirmed as Pakistan men’s head coach

Grant Bradburn has been appointed as the head coach of the Pakistan national men’s side following a robust recruitment process. He will lead the team’s coaching panel for the next two years.

Bradburn served as the head coach of the side during the recently concluded home series against New Zealand on consultancy basis. The Babar Azam-led side defeated the tourists 4-1 in the five-match One-Day International series that took them to the top of the ICC Rankings in the format. The five-match T20 International series was shared 2-2.

Bradburn is well-versed about the strengths and challenges of the national side having previously served as the fielding coach of the national men’s side from 2018 till 2020 before he moved to the National Cricket Academy to work on the coaches development. Prior to his roles in Pakistan, Bradburn, a former New Zealand cricketer, worked as the head coach of Scotland men’s side.

PCB Management Committee Chairperson Najam Sethi: “I am delighted to name Grant Bradburn as the head coach of our men’s side. Bradburn joins the side with plethora of coaching experience. After having worked with our men’s side before and at the National Cricket Academy, he understands our culture and philosophy of cricket well and is an ideal candidate to take our team forward.

“After the announcement of Mickey Arthur as team director, Bradburn’s appointment is another step in our endeavours of putting together a highly qualified coaching panel so our players can benefit from their experiences and dominate world cricket in all three formats.”

With an eye on the prestigious ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 trophy, the Pakistan team management has also unveiled a playing style with which it will approach the tournament to be played in October and November. The style branded as The Pakistan Way will see the team approach the One-Day Internationals in the build-up and during the mega-event with positive and bold tactics and attacking strategies.

Pakistan are scheduled to feature in a three-match ODI series against Afghanistan before the 50-over ACC Asia Cup and the national side will use these opportunities to test their potential, experiment with the bench strength and fine-tune the side ahead of the global event.

Reflecting on his appointment as the head coach of the men’s side and unveiling the strategy, Grant Bradburn said: “It is a great honour for me to work with the highly talented and skilful side like Pakistan as a head coach. We have been working hard on our raising our game and are eager to showcase our growing skills. Mickey Arthur and I are excited to support, challenge and develop our players. The New Zealand series has been valuable to get game time and create clarity of roles, culture and brand to win.

“We have raised the bar of expectation and we will keep challenging our players. The process has started and our players are agreeing to take these challenges head-on. ODI cricket has evolved and our agreed expectations are aligned to being the best in the world. We have mutually agreed with our players they are capable of higher team scores, even when setting totals. There has been immediate positive signs during this series and this group of players is determined to continually improve, to put ourselves into contention to win major events”

Team Director Mickey Arthur: “If a team wins without a culture, without a brand or without a style, it may work for a short period but will eventually fall. If a team is losing with a culture, a brand and its own style, then it is moving towards the right direction.

“So how do we achieve The Pakistan Way? We achieve this by winning while having our own culture, our own brand of cricket and our own style. We will not be satisfied with wins without that culture in the team. Pakistan as a nation is proud of its identity, culture and style. I love Pakistan and Pakistan cricket; I want to leave behind a legacy as a director where the rest of the world says we want to play The Pakistan Way.

To achieve the on-field success, the team management will emphasis on the importance of building a culture where a player’s success is enjoyed by everyone and creating an inclusive environment where anyone can speak up at anytime and everyone is treated equally eventually resulting in achieving collective goals as a nation and team.

Team manager Rehan ul Haq: “Our success will depend on how well we work together as a team on and off the field. It is important to make players take ownership of team goals and enjoy each other’s success. We want to create an environment that will enable our players to perform at their best. An environment where there is less fear of failure but more will to succeed.”

Former South Africa cricketer Andrew Puttick has also signed a two-year-long contract as the batting coach of the men’s side. Strength and conditioning coach Drikus Saaiman and physiotherapist Cliffe Deacon will continue to work in their roles. The appointments on the other positions will be announced in due course.

These choices have to be Mickey's picks.

I can't see PCB having Bradburn and Morkel as their first choices.

These choices have to be Mickey's picks.

I can't see PCB having Bradburn and Morkel as their first choices.

So Mickey will not full time coach for next 2 years. Easy pay doing nothing.

How do people rate Bradburn? What kind of tactics does he usually employ as a strategist? I read that he was Pakistan’s fielding coach until 2018 and that’s a good sign because our fielding definitely improved from 2015-2017 at least (CT) with plenty of good emerging fielders

Steve Rixon was the fielding coach from 2016-18. Bradburn took over after the triseries in Zim. And Pak's fielding declined once Rixon left his job.

Mickey chose the coaching staff.

PCB left the decision to him as to who he wanted as his coaches and working under him.

Mickey chose the coaching staff.

PCB left the decision to him as to who he wanted as his coaches and working under him.

Mickey’s first choice as bowling coach was Yasir Arafat though…but PCB went for a cheaper option in Morne Morkel as bowling coach

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mickey Arthur chats with me about why he’s returned to Pakistan cricket, direction he wants to take the team, brand of cricket he wants Pakistan to play, responds to criticism of his appointment, lessons of the last time he worked for PCB & more <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/HiaXCt6yC7">https://t.co/HiaXCt6yC7</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1658017832410443777?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 15, 2023</a></blockquote>

We don’t know what Mickey’s job description is, how will his performance be measured, how much influence he will have in the selection of playing XI etc. it is a total mess.

It also creates an uncomfortable environment for Bradburn and raises question mark over his authority. Where does Mickey’s influence ends and where does Bradburn’s start?

Will Mickey be overriding his decisions and giving him dictations? There cannot be an overlap. The captain and the coach are enough to call the shots. You add an online team director and now you have too many cooks and too many voices.

The fans will not get the answers to these questions. [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] perhaps you can ask these questions because the mainstream tv journalists will not.

I haven’t watched the full video yet so I’m not sure if you have asked these questions already.

We don’t know what Mickey’s job description is, how will his performance be measured, how much influence he will have in the selection of playing XI etc. it is a total mess.

It also creates an uncomfortable environment for Bradburn and raises question mark over his authority. Where does Mickey’s influence ends and where does Bradburn’s start?

Will Mickey be overriding his decisions and giving him dictations? There cannot be an overlap. The captain and the coach are enough to call the shots. You add an online team director and now you have too many cooks and too many voices.

The fans will not get the answers to these questions. [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] perhaps you can ask these questions because the mainstream tv journalists will not.

I haven’t watched the full video yet so I’m not sure if you have asked these questions already.

There were 2 questions in my interview I asked Mickey about responsibility and his role:

1. Whose picks are Morkel, Bradburn etc. He said they were his picks and not PCB's.

2. When things go wrong, who will have to take responsibility. Mickey said he is ultimately responsible.

There were 2 questions in my interview I asked Mickey about responsibility and his role:

1. Whose picks are Morkel, Bradburn etc. He said they were his picks and not PCB's.

2. When things go wrong, who will have to take responsibility. Mickey said he is ultimately responsible.
There will be no consequences for Mickey if things go south. Ultimately he is Derbyshire’s head coach who is Pakistan team’s director on a part time basis.

That’s the bottom line.

Thanks, but it seems like Bradburn will be the easy target when things go south. Mickey will be tasked with picking a new head coach.

If Mickey is going to dictate team selection and other strategic decisions then Bradburn is essentially a yes man.

There will be no consequences for Mickey if things go south. Ultimately he is Derbyshire’s head coach who is Pakistan team’s director on a part time basis.

That’s the bottom line.

I think if results are poor then Mickey's neck will be on the line, as he's making the decisions, he's brought in the Coaches.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Part 2 of my interview with Mickey Arthur - Babar Azam’s captaincy, Mohammad Rizwan’s request to bat at 4 in ODIs, Imam-ul-Haq’s comments about selection, accusations of players putting individual performances ahead of the team & more <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/M75ISgvjiY">https://t.co/M75ISgvjiY</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1658809079815446528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 17, 2023</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Part 2 of my interview with Mickey Arthur - Babar Azam’s captaincy, Mohammad Rizwan’s request to bat at 4 in ODIs, Imam-ul-Haq’s comments about selection, accusations of players putting individual performances ahead of the team & more <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/M75ISgvjiY">https://t.co/M75ISgvjiY</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1658809079815446528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 17, 2023</a></blockquote>

On the Rizwan 4/5 question, Mickey said that the “Pakistan way is the team first way”

Yeah I don’t think Rizwan understands that

On the Rizwan 4/5 question, Mickey said that the “Pakistan way is the team first way”

Yeah I don’t think Rizwan understands that

Isn't it upto the Team Director to show everyone who's boss?

Grant Bradburn confirmed as Pakistan men’s head coach

Grant Bradburn has been appointed as the head coach of the Pakistan national men’s side following a robust recruitment process. He will lead the team’s coaching panel for the next two years.

Bradburn served as the head coach of the side during the recently concluded home series against New Zealand on consultancy basis. The Babar Azam-led side defeated the tourists 4-1 in the five-match One-Day International series that took them to the top of the ICC Rankings in the format. The five-match T20 International series was shared 2-2.

Bradburn is well-versed about the strengths and challenges of the national side having previously served as the fielding coach of the national men’s side from 2018 till 2020 before he moved to the National Cricket Academy to work on the coaches development. Prior to his roles in Pakistan, Bradburn, a former New Zealand cricketer, worked as the head coach of Scotland men’s side.

PCB Management Committee Chairperson Najam Sethi: “I am delighted to name Grant Bradburn as the head coach of our men’s side. Bradburn joins the side with plethora of coaching experience. After having worked with our men’s side before and at the National Cricket Academy, he understands our culture and philosophy of cricket well and is an ideal candidate to take our team forward.

“After the announcement of Mickey Arthur as team director, Bradburn’s appointment is another step in our endeavours of putting together a highly qualified coaching panel so our players can benefit from their experiences and dominate world cricket in all three formats.”

With an eye on the prestigious ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 trophy, the Pakistan team management has also unveiled a playing style with which it will approach the tournament to be played in October and November. The style branded as The Pakistan Way will see the team approach the One-Day Internationals in the build-up and during the mega-event with positive and bold tactics and attacking strategies.

Pakistan are scheduled to feature in a three-match ODI series against Afghanistan before the 50-over ACC Asia Cup and the national side will use these opportunities to test their potential, experiment with the bench strength and fine-tune the side ahead of the global event.

Reflecting on his appointment as the head coach of the men’s side and unveiling the strategy, Grant Bradburn said: “It is a great honour for me to work with the highly talented and skilful side like Pakistan as a head coach. We have been working hard on our raising our game and are eager to showcase our growing skills. Mickey Arthur and I are excited to support, challenge and develop our players. The New Zealand series has been valuable to get game time and create clarity of roles, culture and brand to win.

“We have raised the bar of expectation and we will keep challenging our players. The process has started and our players are agreeing to take these challenges head-on. ODI cricket has evolved and our agreed expectations are aligned to being the best in the world. We have mutually agreed with our players they are capable of higher team scores, even when setting totals. There has been immediate positive signs during this series and this group of players is determined to continually improve, to put ourselves into contention to win major events”

Team Director Mickey Arthur: “If a team wins without a culture, without a brand or without a style, it may work for a short period but will eventually fall. If a team is losing with a culture, a brand and its own style, then it is moving towards the right direction.

“So how do we achieve The Pakistan Way? We achieve this by winning while having our own culture, our own brand of cricket and our own style. We will not be satisfied with wins without that culture in the team. Pakistan as a nation is proud of its identity, culture and style. I love Pakistan and Pakistan cricket; I want to leave behind a legacy as a director where the rest of the world says we want to play The Pakistan Way.

To achieve the on-field success, the team management will emphasis on the importance of building a culture where a player’s success is enjoyed by everyone and creating an inclusive environment where anyone can speak up at anytime and everyone is treated equally eventually resulting in achieving collective goals as a nation and team.

Team manager Rehan ul Haq: “Our success will depend on how well we work together as a team on and off the field. It is important to make players take ownership of team goals and enjoy each other’s success. We want to create an environment that will enable our players to perform at their best. An environment where there is less fear of failure but more will to succeed.”

Former South Africa cricketer Andrew Puttick has also signed a two-year-long contract as the batting coach of the men’s side. Strength and conditioning coach Drikus Saaiman and physiotherapist Cliffe Deacon will continue to work in their roles. The appointments on the other positions will be announced in due course.

Ramiz Raja on Bradburn appointment:

"It is injustice to not make use of Pakistani coaches. If you don’t want to hire, then at least give respect them. You can’t say they do politics and are useless"

"They [PCB] have selected a head coach, who has no experience anywhere else in the cricket circuit. PCB have handed him our whole team, just because his skin colour is different than ours, so they believe he won’t do any politics. A person with a low-level mindset can think like that,”

"Respect your system and coaches. Just because, if the coach has the same skin color as yours, don’t assume he would do politics,”

When is Mornel Morkel coming as bowling coach? Will he be part of specialised camp for fast bowlers before Srilankan tour? Any update? @Saj

When is Mornel Morkel coming as bowling coach? Will he be part of specialised camp for fast bowlers before Srilankan tour? Any update? @Saj

There's a camp coming up soon at the NHPC.

I guess Morkel will be required for it.

"It is injustice to not make use of Pakistani coaches. If you don’t want to hire, then at least give respect them. You can’t say they do politics and are useless"

"They [PCB] have selected a head coach, who has no experience anywhere else in the cricket circuit. PCB have handed him our whole team, just because his skin colour is different than ours, so they believe he won’t do any politics. A person with a low-level mindset can think like that,”

"Respect your system and coaches. Just because, if the coach has the same skin color as yours, don’t assume he would do politics,”

A bit rich from Rameez when he hired Philander and Hayden on his watch. It was only out of desperation that Saqlain was hired as the head coach as no other foreigner would take the role and he did a wonderful job, not!

More appalling comments from Rameez. He continues to lower himself into the gutter.

What qualifications did Hayden and Philander have when he appointed them as consultants ?

Whatever anyone's views on Grant Bradburn's appointment, Ramiz should get his facts right because Bradburn has head coach experience with Northern Districts, NZL A and U19s and Scotland. Meanwhile what head coach experience did Saqlain have ?

Good win for Mickey's boys in Vitality Blast with Haider Ali doing well too.

There's a camp coming up soon at the NHPC.

I guess Morkel will be required for it.

But why hasnt PCB properly updated on Morne Morkels appointment and when will his assignment begin with PCB? Now that IPL is over.. PCB should have updated about his appointment in a press release or so.. is there any particilar reason? If u can ask someone in PCB.. whats the latest update regarding Morkel..?

Bardburn speaking to the press at the NCA

“We aim to do well in all three formats of the game. We want to win the World Cup while also qualifying for the next ICC World Test Championship Final"

“Players are putting in the hard yards in training despite the hot weather. The camp will help players fine tune their skills"

“We are hopeful about unearthing good spinners through this camp,”

"No one can overlook the abilities of Abid Ali. The opener has scored runs with an average of 49 in his career. He is currently playing cricket after recovering from health issues. He can make a comeback in the national squad"

"A cricketer like Abid Ali can be a valuable addition to the national team. We will keep an eye on his performance during the training sessions"

"Yasir Shah is also part of our plan, who will be given a chance in the team as well. Conditions in Sri Lanka are favorable for spin bowling. We want Pakistani spinners to create difficulties for their batters. Training in the intense heat of Lahore is providing spinners ample opportunities to polish their skills"

"Pakistan cricketers are playing county cricket and domestic leagues. The performance and workload of all the players, including the pacer [Shaheen Afridi], is being monitored, focusing on both the skill and fitness of the players,"

"No one can overlook the abilities of Abid Ali. The opener has scored runs with an average of 49 in his career. He is currently playing cricket after recovering from health issues. He can make a comeback in the national squad"

"A cricketer like Abid Ali can be a valuable addition to the national team. We will keep an eye on his performance during the training sessions"

"Yasir Shah is also part of our plan, who will be given a chance in the team as well. Conditions in Sri Lanka are favorable for spin bowling. We want Pakistani spinners to create difficulties for their batters. Training in the intense heat of Lahore is providing spinners ample opportunities to polish their skills"

"Pakistan cricketers are playing county cricket and domestic leagues. The performance and workload of all the players, including the pacer [Shaheen Afridi], is being monitored, focusing on both the skill and fitness of the players,"

Abid Ali - He needs to be evaluated by proper Cardiologists (not the ones appointed by PCB), otherwise it's too much of a risk for guy's life to go through rigors of international cricket again.

Yasir Shah - We obviously don't have any replacement for Yasir. Nauman, Zahid etc have been a big joke. Abrar has started well. Zafar Gohar deserves a call up now.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pakistan Cricket Board has announced the appointment of Morne Morkel as the national side’s bowling coach. The former South Africa pacer has joined the national side on a six-month contract <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1669944545008558081?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 17, 2023</a></blockquote>

6 month contract for Morkel.

I can't imagine too many coaches around the world accepting these terms.

6 months picking up free cash and not really having to go to Pakistan

Yeaaah boi!

Would love to see a document titled:

Name of appointee: Morne Morkel
Objectives: ....

Clearly Morne Morkel is not willing to give up his IPL contract for Pakistan…hence the six month contract.. it seems he will be there only till worldcup, and not even for Australia tour.. and yet we chose him as our bowling coach..

What magic wand will he be able to offer to fast bowlers in a mere 6 month contract? Yet PCB chose him.. woww brilliant

So looks like he'll be in position till the end of the year and not even till the tour of Australia.

Tait, Gul, Morkel etc etc.

These constant changes can't be great for the young pacers.

So looks like he'll be in position till the end of the year and not even till the tour of Australia.

Tait, Gul, Morkel etc etc.

These constant changes can't be great for the young pacers.

Who is the brilliant mind behind these constant changes..who thought a 6 month contract for a bowling coach would be a good idea? Seems Najam Sethi himself being the man behind these appointments..

To be slightly cheeky, it might well be the case that Mickey might be available full time pretty soon.
Derbyshire are bottom of the second division in the county championship and seventh out of nine in their T20 blast group.
This is the second year of his “Derbyshire project” …. not sure it will last that much longer unless results improve.
Probably not the best track record for a frontline international coach (but that’s a separate discussion)

Probably not the best track record for a frontline international coach (but that’s a separate discussion)

The guy fails at nearly every assignment in the last decade. Got kicked out by Australia. Lived off a icc trophy which was won early on probably before he even had a chance to work with the team properly and then performances declined once he’d been there in the long term. He wouldn’t even be in the conversation if he hadn’t won the CT. And a lot of CT was due to a fakhar, a guy he originally had on the bench for Shehzad. Failed with Sri Lanka. Failed with Karachi kings multiple times despite having the best squad when he was there. And now Derbyshire.

It makes no sense why we are desperate for him. It’s like performance and results doesn’t matter for us when he’s involved. And like it or not he is the only coach in recent times who has even had a lengthy stretch to prove what he can do. He isn’t even quitting Derbyshire for us, and he probably only went to Pakistan given after Australia no one wanted to hire him. Not to mention he’s been unprofessional and overly emotional in the media.

The guy should be trying to earn back faith in his coaching abilities through successful stints. Instead we are running after him despite a string of failures.

Given these appointments were done by Sethi - what happens to Mickey and Morne etc now?

Back