Mobs burn Christian churches, homes in Pakistan after blasphemy allegations

cricketjoshila

T20I Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
Islamabad, Pakistan – Armed mobs have attacked at least two churches in Punjab province’s Jaranwala town accusing two Christian residents of blasphemy.

Videos on social media showed hundreds of people armed with batons and sticks attacking the Salvation Army Church and the Saint Paul Catholic Church, setting them ablaze, while another mob attacked private homes, torching them and breaking windows.

Mohammed Naved, a Punjab provincial police inspector, said authorities were doing their best to control the mob in Jaranwala, 115 km (71 miles) from Lahore, the provincial capital.

We are undertaking all legal measures as required in the situation,” Naved told Al Jazeera.

Police also filed a report against two local Christian residents under Pakistan’s controversial blasphemy laws.

Paramilitary Rangers have been deployed “in connection with the religious conflict and sensitive situation of law and order at Tehsil Jaranwala District Faisalabad”, according to an official statement.

The controversy erupted after torn pages of the Quran, the holy book for Muslims, were discovered near the Christian colony with alleged blasphemous content written on them.

The pages were taken to a local religious leader, who reportedly urged Muslims to protest and demand that the culprits be arrested.

Shahid Mehmood, a resident of Jaranwala who owns a mobile shop about 50 metres from the Salvation Army Church, told Al Jazeera, “I reached my shop around 10am, and there were already hundreds of people gathered outside the church. Given the situation, I decided to close 10 minutes after opening.”

Mehmood added that a crowd also gathered around the Christian colony near the church. It was later attacked, and a few smaller churches were damaged, he said.

Akmal Bhatti, chairman of Minorities Alliance Pakistan, condemned the incident and said the angry mob used the blasphemy laws to justify torching the private homes of innocent people.

Bhatti, a lawyer, said more than 150 families resided in the Christian colony near the Salvation Army Church, and as the situation worsened, women and children evacuated.

“As things looked tense, families started leaving Jaranwala to go to their relatives in a nearby village, or the city of Faisalabad, which is roughly 40km [24 miles] away,” he told Al Jazeera from Jaranwala.

Blasphemy is a sensitive issue in Pakistan as mere accusations can lead to widespread violence.

Earlier this month, a teacher was killed in Turbat in the southern province of Balochistan after being accused of blasphemy during a lecture. In February this year, an angry mob snatched a suspect from his prison cell in the rural district of Nankana and lynched him for allegedly desecrating pages of the Quran.

Rights groups say Pakistan’s blasphemy laws have often been used for personal reasons.

Centre for Social Justice, an independent group advocating for the rights of minorities, has compiled data on blasphemy cases in Pakistan, which shows more than 2,000 people have been accused of blasphemy since 1987, and at least 88 people have been killed on these allegations.

National

Kakar promises to bring to justice culprits behind vandalisation of churches in Faisalabad​

Bilawal and Shehbaz ask caretaker govt to ensure safety of Christain community​

By Web Desk
August 16, 2023

Caretaker Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar being presented Guard of Honor at Prime Ministers House. — APP/File

Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar being presented Guard of Honor at Prime Ministers House. — APP/File
Interim Prime Minister Anwaar-ul-Haq Kakar on Wednesday vowed to bring to justice the culprits behind the vandalisation of churches in Jaranwala, Faisalabad over alleged blasphemy.
“I am gutted by the visuals coming out of Jaranwala, Faisalabad. Stern action would be taken against those who violate law and target minorities,” said Kakar in a post on X, the microblogging website formerly known as Twitter.

The interim premier also said that all law enforcement agencies have asked to “apprehend culprits and bring them to justice”.
“Rest assured that the government of Pakistan stands with our citizenry on equal basis,” he added.
Former prime minister Shehbaz Sharif also slammed the incident, saying: “What is happening in Jaranwala is sad and disturbing.”
“There is no place for violence in any religion. All religious places, Books and personages are sacred and deserve our highest level of respect. I urge the government to take action against the culprits,” the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) president added.

The former premier also appealed to the “religious scholars from all schools of thought to come forward and condemn the reprehensible actions”.
“Such madness can't be allowed. Pakistan belongs to all religious minorities,” Shehbaz on X said.
Meanwhile, Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) Chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari also condemned the incident.
“Horrified to hear about the attack on Churches in Jaranwala, Faisalabad, violating the sanctity of places of worship is absolutely unacceptable. The administration must ensure the safety of the Christian community and their Churches,” Bilawal on X said.

Earlier today, a crowd vandalised several churches and setting scores of houses on fire after accusing the Christian community of its members over alleged blasphemy.
The incident took place in Jaranwala town of the industrial district of Faisalabad, police spokesman Naveed Ahmad said. A mob had attacked the community after two Christians were accused of blasphemy, he said.
Dozens of people were blocking a nearby highway.
The local administration has called in paramilitary troops to handle the violent crowd and bring the situation under control, according to a government order seen by Reuters.
A Christian leader, Akmal Bhatti, said the crowd had torched at least five churches and looted valuables from houses that had been abandoned by their owners after clerics made announcements in mosques inciting the mob.
Several social media posts showed some churches on fire as well as houses and belongings.

Disgraceful .I have seen multiple videos where people's destroying Churches infront of police but they are just watching instead of Stop this madness why?

There will always be a conflict between Islam and Christianity. Both are proselytizing religions and strongly believe that their way is the correct way and the only way. What can start off as a small debate between a Christian and a Muslim can escalate pretty quickly into a full blown riot. Its very unfortunate but unavoidable.

Disgraceful .I have seen multiple videos where people's destroying Churches infront of police but they are just watching instead of Stop this madness why?
Who wants to risk their life by confronting an angry mob?

Shocking but when the start uses violence against its own citizens, then its not a surprise that people see this as the only way to get what they want.

Following the Jaranwala incidents, the Caretaker Prime Minister (PM) Anwaarul Haq Kakar has vowed stern action against those who violate law and target minorities, ARY News reported on Wednesday.

Promoting and safeguarding the rights of minorities is essential for fostering a diverse and inclusive society here in Pakistan where every individual's voice is heard and valued.

Disgusting incident, which should be condemned wholeheartedly. Prayers for everyone and their families who lost their life.

There will always be a conflict between Islam and Christianity. Both are proselytizing religions and strongly believe that their way is the correct way and the only way. What can start off as a small debate between a Christian and a Muslim can escalate pretty quickly into a full blown riot. Its very unfortunate but unavoidable.
Islam and Christianity are the closest 2 religions out there and there has been a 1400 year coexistence between the two faiths, so its not as bleak a picture you are painting.

Feels strange to see news like this coming out of Pakistan tbh, mostly see this stuff happening in India.

Where are the police now? Give this mob a PTI flag and watch the "cops" fly into action.

Orgs like TLP have always been the establishment's little toy to be used at their will.

This isn't a Muslim-Christian conflict this is purely a test of the stupidos. Someone spread fake news that's all that was needed for these idiots to mobilize. No wonder Bajwa was against Imran Khan's idea of using force against these mobs.

Feels strange to see news like this coming out of Pakistan tbh, mostly see this stuff happening in India.
Save the lecture mate ... in terms of incidents against minorities as a % of population, Pakistan is far far ahead.

It is difficult to keep 100 people in harmony (reflect on your extended families), let alone a country of 1.5 billion. Discounting the fringe elements, we are LOT more tolerant, LOT more secular and are LOT more respectful of other religions than any other country on earth.

Can you back your claim with statistics?

yes, India a country that gathers a mob to attack one Muslim for having a relationship with a non Muslim is more tolerant than any other country on Earth. What’s next, there’s more rape cases on the freakin’ moon than in India?

Mob Lynching

Rape/gang rape

Destroying religious sites

How often do you hear about this stuff happening outside of India and Pakistan?

I strongly condemn this act, it has no place in Islam.

LAHORE: The interim Punjab government has ordered a high-level inquiry after a mob set fire to a number of churches and vandalised Christians' homes during a rampage on Wednesday, with authorities saying over 100 people had been arrested.

The mob made its way through a predominantly Christian area on the outskirts of the industrial city of Faisalabad after allegations spread that the Holy Quran had been desecrated.

"This was a well thought out plan to disrupt peace and a high-level investigation is underway regarding the desecration of the Holy Quran and incidents that take place afterward," a spokesperson for the provincial government said in a statement.

The spokesperson said police "foiled" the bid to attack the homes of the minorities and that the "peace committee" mobilised to ensure similar attempts are thwarted.

"The frequency and scale of such attacks — which are systematic, violent and often uncontainable — appear to have increased in the last several years," said the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan

Islam teaches respect for other religions; it should not have been like this. Such incidents tarnish the image of Islam. I condemn this.

Can you back your claim with statistics?

yes, India a country that gathers a mob to attack one Muslim for having a relationship with a non Muslim is more tolerant than any other country on Earth. What’s next, there’s more rape cases on the freakin’ moon than in India?

Mob Lynching

Rape/gang rape

Destroying religious sites

How often do you hear about this stuff happening outside of India and Pakistan?

A Pakistani giving lecture on minority rights and religious tolerance.

:)))

A Pakistani giving lecture on minority rights and religious tolerance.

:)))

An Indian starting a thread for minorities being attacked in Pakistan but never shows up when it’s happening in India.

An Indian who always justifies the mob lynching because it’s not his community that is being persecuted.

Majority of the Pakistani’s would condemn this attack, you’d justify it by saying the priest shouldn’t have fell in love with a Hindu.

I can't begin to express how saddened and disturbed I am to hear about the attacks on these churches and homes in Jaranwala. My heart goes out to all the families affected by this terrible incident. The violence against innocent people, fueled by the misuse of blasphemy laws, is absolutely heartbreaking. We must remember that every religion teaches us to love and respect one another. I hope that, as a society, we can learn to embrace and understand our differences instead of resorting to violence. My thoughts are with the families who had to leave their homes and seek refuge elsewhere, and I sincerely hope that the authorities will bring the perpetrators to justice and restore peace in the region

Punjab caretaker Chief Minister Mohsin Naqvi on Thursday vowed to restore within three to four days all the churches and Christians’ homes that were ransacked and torched during the Jaranwala violence a day earlier.

On Wednesday, a violent mob of hundreds had ransacked and torched five churches while also attacking the residences of members of the Christian community.

A Christian cemetery and the office of the local assistant commissioner were also vandalised. The incident had led the Punjab government to call in Rangers while 3,000 police personnel from various police units, including the Elite Force, had been deployed as well.

Meanwhile, the Punjab government ordered the formation of a high-level inquiry committee to investigate the incident, in line with directives issued by Caretaker Prime Minister Anwaarul Haq.

Separately, in a statement issued late on Wednesday night, Punjab police said it had made over 100 arrests while the Jaranwala police booked over 600 people in two terror cases.

Addressing a meeting today, which was attended by religious leaders of the Christian community, Naqvi condemned yesterday’s violence and asserted that such incidents were anti-Islam and against the teachings of the Holy Prophet.

Talking about damages to churches and Christians’ homes, Naqvi promised that the Punjab government would restore all the buildings to their original state within the next three to four days.

“Whatever damages took place, as a government, Muslims and humans, we will restore them.”

The caretaker CM added that all Pakistanis were one and promised to prevent any such “conspiracy” in the future. “There is no space for this in our country.”

Dawn

Islam and Christianity are the closest 2 religions out there and there has been a 1400 year coexistence between the two faiths, so its not as bleak a picture you are painting.

They may share some common stories. But their history has always been riddled with wars and bloodshed. A primarily Christian Middle East now is 90% Muslim. Both believe in converting people to their path and faith and they actively do it. Fights and riots are bound to happen.

I condemn this. act because Islam teaches respect for other religions; it should not have been like this. Such incidents tarnish the image of Islam.

They may share some common stories. But their history has always been riddled with wars and bloodshed. A primarily Christian Middle East now is 90% Muslim. Both believe in converting people to their path and faith and they actively do it. Fights and riots are bound to happen.
Islam is the only religion which make it compulsory to believe in Jesus Christ, no other religion does so. Muslims and Christians have alot in common, but we only chose to emphasize the differences. But Muslims have been instructed by their religion to treat Christians with respect as the they are "people of the book".

For example, a covenant signed by the prophet Muhammad pbuh, with Christians from St Catherine in Mount Sinai, said: “This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity – near and far, we are with them. Verily I, the servants, the helpers and my followers defend because Christians are my citizens: and by God I hold out against anything that displeases them. No compulsion is to be on them. Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries. No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims’ houses. Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God’s covenant and disobey His prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate. No one is to force them to travel or oblige them to fight. The Muslims are to fight for them. If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray. Their churches are declared to be protected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants. No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant until the last day (end of the world).”

Despite violence and crusades and all that, for centuries the two religious groups have managed to co-exist peacefully in almost all countries in the Middle East and elsewhere. Islam recognised Christianity as a sister Abrahamic faith. Places of worship were respected, freedom of worship accorded and lives and property protected. The oldest known Christian community that speaks the language Jesus spoke (Aramaic) has also co-existed with Muslim neighbors until recent times.

All this means that Muslims and Christians can continue to exist peacefully as they have done for over a thousand years.

And these are the people who cry over Islamophobia.

Sad scences but for Indians who bindly ignore the Hindutva facists who have raped minors, burned churches, mosques , heck even kill their own fellow Hindus to be attempting to score points is as pathetic as these acts.

No surprise the who the OP is.

Both Indian Hindutvas and these criminals should have some shame.

Islam is the only religion which make it compulsory to believe in Jesus Christ, no other religion does so. Muslims and Christians have alot in common, but we only chose to emphasize the differences. But Muslims have been instructed by their religion to treat Christians with respect as the they are "people of the book".

For example, a covenant signed by the prophet Muhammad pbuh, with Christians from St Catherine in Mount Sinai, said: “This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity – near and far, we are with them. Verily I, the servants, the helpers and my followers defend because Christians are my citizens: and by God I hold out against anything that displeases them. No compulsion is to be on them. Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries. No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims’ houses. Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God’s covenant and disobey His prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate. No one is to force them to travel or oblige them to fight. The Muslims are to fight for them. If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray. Their churches are declared to be protected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants. No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant until the last day (end of the world).”

Despite violence and crusades and all that, for centuries the two religious groups have managed to co-exist peacefully in almost all countries in the Middle East and elsewhere. Islam recognised Christianity as a sister Abrahamic faith. Places of worship were respected, freedom of worship accorded and lives and property protected. The oldest known Christian community that speaks the language Jesus spoke (Aramaic) has also co-existed with Muslim neighbors until recent times.

All this means that Muslims and Christians can continue to exist peacefully as they have done for over a thousand years.
But there is a major difference and you know what it is. Jesus being called a man is blasphemy for Christians and Jesus called God is blasphemy for Muslims.

Muslims have more in common with Jews than Christians. Of course, they have major differences too in their beliefs.

But there is a major difference and you know what it is. Jesus being called a man is blasphemy for Christians and Jesus called God is blasphemy for Muslims.

Muslims have more in common with Jews than Christians. Of course, they have major differences too in their beliefs.
Islam is the middle path between Judaism and Christianity. Islam combines the Mosaic Law of justice with the Christian Law of grace taking the middle way between the severity of Judaism and the mercy of Jesus. Muslims have as much in common with Christians as they have with the Jews.

Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Asim Munir condemned the Jaranwala violence on Thursday, calling it "extremely tragic and intolerable”.

A violent mob on Wednesday ransacked and torched several churches while also attacking the residences of members of the Christian community.

According to a press release issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the army chief made these remarks while addressing the participants of the ISPR Internship Program in Rawalpindi.

“Jaranwala incident is extremely tragic and totally intolerable,” he was quoted as saying by ISPR.

“There is no space for such incidents of intolerance and extreme behavior by any segment of the society against anyone — particularly against minorities.”

“All citizens of Pakistan are equal amongst each other irrespective of religion, gender, cast or creed,” COAS Munir said.

“No one will be allowed to take law in own hands and those culpable of committing such crimes will be brought before the court of justice.”

In his remarks, COAS emphasised the importance of youth in fostering national development. “Youth is the future of Pakistan, which can contribute immensely towards peace, progress, and prosperity of the country,” COAS was quoted as saying.

He made it clear that no one would be allowed to take the law into their hands and that anyone found guilty of doing so would face prosecution in a court of law.

Divide and rule - manufacture conflict between Muslims and Christians in order to distract from US-installed regime's epic corruption and moral bankruptcy, economic crash and political, judicial, media, military, Intel-controlled propaganda.

Section 144 Imposed In Jaranwala To Control Violent Protests Over Alleged Desecration Of Holy Quran

JARANWALA: August 17, 2023: To cool down violent protestors, the district administration has imposed section 144 for a week, besides closing all educational institutions and government offices indefinitely.
Meanwhile, the local police have arrested 128 protestors who were found involved in attacking the houses of Christians and churches in the city.

Inspector general police Punjab (IGP), Dr Usman Anwar, has directed to the local police and other law enforcement agencies to use all resources to maintain law and order in the city. IGP Dr Usman Anwar also confirmed the arrest of 128 protestors involved in violent attacks on Christians besides torching half a dozen churches in the city.

I condemn this brutal behavior as much as I condemn the brutal right wing extremist RSS ruling India and the minions that support them.

I condemn this brutal behavior as much as I condemn the brutal right wing extremist RSS ruling India and the minions that support them.

The day the joshilas and hitmen of this world act with such basic maturity , the world will be heaven on Earth.

Within the borders of our nation, let religious harmony be the cornerstone that builds bridges of mutual respect and shared values among all faiths.

Divide and rule - manufacture conflict between Muslims and Christians in order to distract from US-installed regime's epic corruption and moral bankruptcy, economic crash and political, judicial, media, military, Intel-controlled propaganda.
Aren’t the protesters from TLP?

Islam teaches respect for other religions; it should not have been like this. Such incidents tarnish the image of Islam. I condemn this.
islamic laws teaches protection of non muslims worship places and lives and dignity of non believer living in its jurisdiction. Not protecting that makes administrator a major sinner .

Isckon always actively looks to convert people. There is nothing wrong in that. If you believe that your faith is right , you can promote that.

Yes , Muslism have more common with Jews.

But the point is that Muslim believe about Jesus is what the Bible says , Christians believe is what the church says , not the bible. If we look into bible , we will clearly see that he was a human , not divine. By proclaiming Jesus to be Human Muslims are uphelding biblical verses.

@cricketjoshila You dismiss the claims of a popular, renowned and gallantry award-winning ASP and deflect her allegations that the BJP CM of Manipur is heavily involved in drug trafficking, by choosing to focus on The Wire being a "leftist rag".

Maybe you should first worry about the large number of churches that were burnt in Manipur under the same CM's watch. Or how Modi and the BJP have remained quiet for months while watching and fanning what has been described as the worst schism between two communities in post-Independence India.

After that we'll talk about our neighboring countries and what they should be doing for their minorities.

@cricketjoshila You dismiss the claims of a popular, renowned and gallantry award-winning ASP and deflect her allegations that the BJP CM of Manipur is heavily involved in drug trafficking, by choosing to focus on The Wire being a "leftist rag".

Maybe you should first worry about the large number of churches that were burnt in Manipur under the same CM's watch. Or how Modi and the BJP have remained quiet for months while watching and fanning what has been described as the worst schism between two communities in post-Independence India.

After that we'll talk about our neighboring countries and what they should be doing for their minorities.
No point , this is RSS brainwashed mentality to go into denial mode about everything . Modi is not even ready to condemn such things , he never comes for any press conference.

I am sure every Muslim here on this forum would condemn what happened in Pakistan. But on the other side it is complete denial .

May be you should also talk about Meiteis being burnt to death and their temples demolished.

Maybe you should tell why Kukis were involved in militancy and violence, that led to AFSPA in Manipur.

Why is Manipur under AFSPA since 1980?

Kukis have a history of violence and militancy.

The present disturbance is because the High court has declared Meiteis as Tribals, hence they have the same land rights now as Kukis.

No more Kuki settlements in Meitei valleys, like Meiteis cannot settle in Kuki hills.

The Meitei vs Kuki issue is before India became independent.

And yes The Wire is a rag.

No point , this is RSS brainwashed mentality to go into denial mode about everything . Modi is not even ready to condemn such things , he never comes for any press conference.

I am sure every Muslim here on this forum would condemn what happened in Pakistan. But on the other side it is complete denial .

What is your hatred towards Hindus? On another thread you called them non practising. Not even knowing what Sanatan is, you pass judgement.

Millions vote for Modi and in all probability will vote him again.

So stop crying RSS etc etc.people know who and what they are voting for.

The day the joshilas and hitmen of this world act with such basic maturity , the world will be heaven on Earth.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

They're so focused on what they want to see they can't distinguish from what is right and wrong.

The majority of Pakistani's, and certainly everyone here on PP, have or will condemn the actions against the minorities. But some of the Indian Posters here will never do that when it occurs in their country, no matter what.
Blind Nationalism aka right wing extremism, straight out of Hitlers playbook.

A day earlier, Punjab police had arrested at least 140 alleged miscreants, including two prime suspects, and registered five cases.

The first information reports (FIRs) registered with the Jaranwala City police included Section 295 (desecration of a worship place) and Section 295-A (hurting religious feelings) of the Pakistan Penal Code. Section 7 of the Anti-Terrorism Act had also been inserted in the FIRs besides other sections related to attacking, burning and damaging properties of the Christian community.

Those arrested by the police included main suspect Muhammad Yasin, identified through a video in which he was seen making an announcement on loudspeakers of mosques to incite Muslims against the religious minority, urging the former to come out of their homes to take part in riots. He reportedly made announcements from five mosques.

Meanwhile, the Punjab government has vowed to restore all the churches and homes of the Christians destroyed by the mob within the next three to four days.

In a post on social media platform X (formerly Twitter) today, Naqvi said, “Today, Friday sermons across Punjab will focus on the rights of minorities, teachings from the Holy Quran and Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).”

“Amid challenging times, let’s emphasise that such incidents should not be coloured by religion. Interfaith harmony is among the basic teachings of Islam,” the chief minister said.

“Grateful to religious scholars for their patience and support in unmasking those seeking to disrupt our nation’s peace,” Naqvi added.

Dawn

Isckon always actively looks to convert people. There is nothing wrong in that. If you believe that your faith is right , you can promote that.
Difference is, Iskcon does not say that Jesus is not God or Prophet Muhammed is not a Prophet or Jews are corrupt.

I have not met any educated Pakistani who has not condemned this without giving out any excuses. it was straight up to the point condemnation and expressed sadness at the current situation of Pakistan, most Pakistani want culprits to be punished and end in violence against minorities.

As many have experienced, we've always come across many Indians of different faith with blind nationalism bounded by hatred for a minority have always found an excuse to defend majority Hindutva. The most ridiculous way of justifying it by comparing it with Pakistan.

Hindutva is a hatred filled radicalized religious ideology with a Gucci belt. At the moment, their ability to buy Gucci belt allows the mainstream media and major powers to look the other way.

Mufti Taqi further stated that the incident was “totally against the basic and classic Islamic teachings” and “is tantamount to defacing Islam and Muslims”. He also called on the government to take action against it.

Separately, in a press conference, Central Ruet-i-Hilal Committee Chairman Maulana Abdul Khabeer Azad said a high-level commission should be constituted to probe the Jaranwala rampage.

“We should remember that Pakistan is a state and will take action against anyone doing anything wrong. But not everyone has permission to set up their own courts and set houses on fire,” he asserted, recalling the times when the Christian community stood with Muslims and protested against the desecration of the Holy Quran.

“We have been ashamed in front of the entire world,” he said. “We have always, from Karachi to Khyber, Azad Jammu and Kashmir to Gilgit-Baltistan, propagated interfaith harmony.”

Pakistan, Maulana Azad continued, belonged to everyone. “Whether it is the Holy Quran, Torah or Zabur … their respect and honour is a part of our faith.”

The scholar then read out a verse from the Holy Quran and said that the murder of one person was the murder of humanity while saving one life was equivalent to protecting humanity.

“Today, our hearts are surely aggrieved […] I just arrived from Madina today but when I received reports about this incident I was in extreme pain.”

Maulana Azad demanded that those involved in the Jaranwala violence should be given an “exemplary punishment” and stressed the need to make Pakistan free of violence, terrorism and disruption.

A day earlier, Pakistan Ulema Council Chairman Hafiz Tahir Ashrafi had also apologised for the Jaranwala violence and reaffirmed the commitment to protect “our Christian brothers”.

Dawn news

Difference is, Iskcon does not say that Jesus is not God or Prophet Muhammed is not a Prophet or Jews are corrupt.
How will say those things? When a hindu worships stone or cow or tree or cloud or anything , does other hindu priests stop them? As I mentioned above hindus do not have a straight forward answer to anything about there religion. You ask 10 different hindus same question about fundamental of hinduism , hindus from different strata of society , they will give you at least 3 - 4 different answer.

What is your hatred towards Hindus? On another thread you called them non practising. Not even knowing what Sanatan is, you pass judgement.

Millions vote for Modi and in all probability will vote him again.

So stop crying RSS etc etc.people know who and what they are voting for.
No I have no hatred for any hindus . The other thread you talking about , I am right , Hindus do not follow any scriptures. You are still discussing that there , so no point bringing that here.
I have no problem with Hindus , but yes I have with RSS , and I have right to mention that here.

You people always get into denial mode , never condemning these RSS terrorists who encourage mob lynching. There are many lectures of extremist RSS inspired Hindus who give anti islam and anti Muslim speches and instigate the crowds. Those speeches are recorded and available online. This is not terrorism?

How will say those things? When a hindu worships stone or cow or tree or cloud or anything , does other hindu priests stop them? As I mentioned above hindus do not have a straight forward answer to anything about there religion. You ask 10 different hindus same question about fundamental of hinduism , hindus from different strata of society , they will give you at least 3 - 4 different answer.
Hinduism is a mishmash of many local faiths in India and the original vedic religion. Hence you get different answers from people depending on the place where they come from.
You missed my point where I said that Islam, Christianity and Judaism are intertwined and have heavy polemics against each other. The fundamental differences are irreconcilable between them. The fault lines between them are loaded with gasoline. All it needs is a tiny spark for the fires to start.

Hinduism is a mishmash of many local faiths in India and the original vedic religion. Hence you get different answers from people depending on the place where they come from.
You missed my point where I said that Islam, Christianity and Judaism are intertwined and have heavy polemics against each other. The fundamental differences are irreconcilable between them. The fault lines between them are loaded with gasoline. All it needs is a tiny spark for the fires to start.
So that is a fallacy , if you do not have a proper answer to a specific fundamental question. If I ask 10 hindus , how many gods are there , and who is supreme, they have different answers. This is fundamental question in any religion. I am not talking about nitty grities.

Muslism , Christians etc have differences , so does Hinduism has differences with others. Every religion believes itself to be true. If they did not they would not be identifying themselves with those religions.

Save the lecture mate ... in terms of incidents against minorities as a % of population, Pakistan is far far ahead.

It is difficult to keep 100 people in harmony (reflect on your extended families), let alone a country of 1.5 billion. Discounting the fringe elements, we are LOT more tolerant, LOT more secular and are LOT more respectful of other religions than any other country on earth.

Fringe elements? There is jubilation among a large sector of Hindus when Muslims homes are demolished. Muslims are routinely insulted by Hindu politicians. Massive number of shrines and mosques have been destroyed. And all this gets BJP more votes.

In this case everyone from PM down has condemned it, police arrested the suspects, the govt said they will rebuild. There are sermons in mosques emphasizing minority rights. And no political party gets votes based on harassing minorities.

Sad scences but for Indians who bindly ignore the Hindutva facists who have raped minors, burned churches, mosques , heck even kill their own fellow Hindus to be attempting to score points is as pathetic as these acts.

No surprise the who the OP is.

Both Indian Hindutvas and these criminals should have some shame.
Unlike them we condemn it, arrest the suspects, and rebuild. They indeed have no shame.

The key for one of Christianity most holies sites, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, is held by a Muslim family for centuries.

Do watch this small piece by Syed Muzzammil

No doubt the people who did this attack feel religiously justified. However here is the difference. In Pakistan this mentality is a fringe, that's why no mainstream party insults minority community for votes. This is why whenever these attacks happen the police arrest the suspects, the church/mandir gets rebuilt. Entire society from PM down condemns the attack.

In India, its the opposite. The ruling party gets vote on harassing Muslims, destroying their homes, and religious sites. A huge segment of the population wants Muslims to be put humiliated.

Also in Pakistan as people get more educated more prosperous they also get more tolerant. In India the reverse is happening.

An additional district and sessions judge on Friday sent the 128 suspects allegedly involved in the attacks on churches and the Christian localities of Jaranwala on physical remand for two days.

The Jaranwala City police produced the suspects before the judge and sought two days physical remand of all of them. Sources said that after the judge approved the police request, the suspects were shifted to Faisalabad for interrogation.

According to Punjab Minister for Information Amir Mir, 1,470 people have been booked for the attacks while 145 of them have so far been arrested by police.

Those arrested include the two prime suspects who had incited violence against the Christians. They main suspects were taken into custody by the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD).

Dawn news

No doubt the people who did this attack feel religiously justified. However here is the difference. In Pakistan this mentality is a fringe, that's why no mainstream party insults minority community for votes. This is why whenever these attacks happen the police arrest the suspects, the church/mandir gets rebuilt. Entire society from PM down condemns the attack.

In India, its the opposite. The ruling party gets vote on harassing Muslims, destroying their homes, and religious sites. A huge segment of the population wants Muslims to be put humiliated.

Also in Pakistan as people get more educated more prosperous they also get more tolerant. In India the reverse is happening.
"The frequency and scale of such attacks — which are systematic, violent and often uncontainable — appear to have increased in the last several years," said the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan

Unlike them we condemn it, arrest the suspects, and rebuild. They indeed have no shame.
I wrote above the Hinduism has been hijacked , and those who did that are always go on denial mode. That is there defense line.

Its the same thing when you question any of there scriptures , they will always start by saying we are not bound by any asmani kitab , thrying to make fun of Quran , but in reality they do that to hide there belief system. They will call themself hindus and proud of that , but when questioned about anything tehy have no book , what kind of logic is that ! Its like saying I am citizen of a country but I am not bound by constitution.

Nowadays they start by saying we are sanatani , its just a term to fool others, the sanatanis also believe in same scriptures and hindus , there is NO difference.

You have to ask the question why is it in the Indian subcontinent that mobs seem to rampage against minorities. Is it a cultural thing ingrained in that part of the world?

You have to ask the question why is it in the Indian subcontinent that mobs seem to rampage against minorities. Is it a cultural thing ingrained in that part of the world?

I have given this plenty of thought but recently I've come to one conclusion.

It's in the best interests of the powers to be... call it a false flag or whatever but certain powers in their respective countries couldn't care less for the lives of their minorities and if burning of a church or the rape of a Muslim girl keeps the false sense of nationalism flowing, then all morality goes out of the window.

It's always the poor, desperate people that are commuting the crime and used as a tool by those in power.

An extremely sad situation

'The fear is not going away': Christians in Pakistan afraid to return home

Eighteen-year-old Kanwal had just returned from hospital with her newborn baby, Samuel, when a vigilante mob launched a violent attack on their home in a Christian area of eastern Pakistan.

Terrified, she swept up the baby and fled barefoot with the rest of her family, narrowly escaping the mob that torched their house last week, causing the loss of their pet birds and all their belongings.

"We are very scared of our neighbours ... we don't want them to destroy whatever little we have left," said Kanwal, cradling Samuel as she sat in a school classroom converted into a makeshift dormitory in the bustling market town of Jaranwala.

"We should be shifted somewhere else," she added. Her 11-year-old brother and sisters aged seven and 11 are too scared to return to school, where they are among a tiny minority of Christian students.

"Today was the first day of school after summer vacations but I did not send them because of fear," said their mother, Kiran. "I told them, 'You will get an education if you stay alive.'"

Nearly 160 people have been arrested over Wednesday's hours-long rampage by a mob that residents said consisted of people carrying iron rods, knives and sticks, and which set fire to churches and scores of homes.

REUTERS

Damage to Jaranwala churches, homes estimated at Rs67m

According to estimates compiled by Faisalabad’s district administration, at least 22 churches ransacked by mobs suffered damages to the tune of Rs29.1 million whereas 91 houses which bore the brunt of violence suffered losses to the tune of Rs38.5 million.

The administration forwarded this report to the provincial government. The list of items destroyed by the mob included fans, air-conditioners, water filter plants, generators, carpets, furniture, and other electrical appliances.

religious superiority.
Dont know about Hindus or Sikhs of India, but in Pakistan we are always told by everyone that we have been blessed to be muslims and look down upon people belonging to other religions. Infact, we are ingrained with a thought that the hindus, christians, ismailis, mirzais are people of the hell fire or kafirs. This is a school of thought shared in lower and middle class households in the main city center areas. So often alot of discussions that goes on when it comes to religion is self praise and hating the "others".

You see, a mob just doesnt get formed on its own. Everyone in the mob have something in common. Just like how in nationalism a common idea is used, similarly a mob acts the same. And When the idea is shared and others are labelled as the inferior group, than it takes one small incident for the mob to form and attack.

Now, because in our society we have been taught that we are superior in terms of religion, thus the muslims that have been ingrained with this thought will always be vigilant for the others to cross the line.

This thought isnt shared by the people that live in the liberal part of society. Its always the more conservatives parts

Its not a subcontinent thing. We saw in USA a mob get formed for Trump. UK has its sports mobs. We saw the Pakistan vs India cricket fan mobs. THe difference is, our mobs are religion base.

Christians are soo obedient in Pakistan, you have no idea. One of the offices where i worked had christian staff, and often when someone is praying they would place a chair infront so that the passage isnt blocked. Christians are soo afraid here that even if a chair is placed infront of the person praying they will still never cross that path, as they fear of offending the muslims. Thus, these incidents and labels by people is ridiculous, when they claim so and so did blasphemy.

religious superiority.
Dont know about Hindus or Sikhs of India, but in Pakistan we are always told by everyone that we have been blessed to be muslims and look down upon people belonging to other religions. Infact, we are ingrained with a thought that the hindus, christians, ismailis, mirzais are people of the hell fire or kafirs. This is a school of thought shared in lower and middle class households in the main city center areas. So often alot of discussions that goes on when it comes to religion is self praise and hating the "others".

You see, a mob just doesnt get formed on its own. Everyone in the mob have something in common. Just like how in nationalism a common idea is used, similarly a mob acts the same. And When the idea is shared and others are labelled as the inferior group, than it takes one small incident for the mob to form and attack.

Now, because in our society we have been taught that we are superior in terms of religion, thus the muslims that have been ingrained with this thought will always be vigilant for the others to cross the line.

This thought isnt shared by the people that live in the liberal part of society. Its always the more conservatives parts

Its not a subcontinent thing. We saw in USA a mob get formed for Trump. UK has its sports mobs. We saw the Pakistan vs India cricket fan mobs. THe difference is, our mobs are religion base.

Christians are soo obedient in Pakistan, you have no idea. One of the offices where i worked had christian staff, and often when someone is praying they would place a chair infront so that the passage isnt blocked. Christians are soo afraid here that even if a chair is placed infront of the person praying they will still never cross that path, as they fear of offending the muslims. Thus, these incidents and labels by people is ridiculous, when they claim so and so did blasphemy.

So how do you explain the religious bigotry across the border in India? If it's not a subcontinent thing, then why do you get hindutva mobs rampaging through minority areas, torching villages, murdering innocents in their wake? Are you telling me you see no similarities? Baying mobs carrying swords and lathis led by scoundrel hindutva luminaries?

Let me ask you, when partition happened in 1945, was all the violence one sided? Was that not a subcontinent thing either?

So how do you explain the religious bigotry across the border in India? If it's not a subcontinent thing, then why do you get hindutva mobs rampaging through minority areas, torching villages, murdering innocents in their wake? Are you telling me you see no similarities? Baying mobs carrying swords and lathis led by scoundrel hindutva luminaries?

Let me ask you, when partition happened in 1945, was all the violence one sided? Was that not a subcontinent thing either?
I am not a hindu nor live amongst hindus. Only hindu posters from India can better explain that from their own expeirnece, but that too from some one who isnt bias.

I am a muslim and live amongst muslims and have daily interactions with them, thus, i can tell you better about muslims what has been ingrained in our minds.

I only answered from Pakistans perspective why religious mobs form here.

I am not a hindu nor live amongst hindus. Only hindu posters from India can better explain that from their own expeirnece, but that too from some one who isnt bias.

I am a muslim and live amongst muslims and have daily interactions with them, thus, i can tell you better about muslims what has been ingrained in our minds.

I only answered from Pakistans perspective why religious mobs form here.

Yes but just because you are a Pakistani, doesn't mean you have to put your head in the sand to everything else going on around the world, specifically stuff right across the road from you. You are an avid Bollywood fan, you've been to India as well, so no need to pretend you don't know what goes on over there. There is a shared culture, hence your Bollywood appreciation. Unfortunately there are also less attractive cultural traits, such as lynch mobs and religious bigotry. If you aren't prepared to acknowledge it, then why are you even posting in this thread?

Yes but just because you are a Pakistani, doesn't mean you have to put your head in the sand to everything else going on around the world, specifically stuff right across the road from you. You are an avid Bollywood fan, you've been to India as well, so no need to pretend you don't know what goes on over there. There is a shared culture, hence your Bollywood appreciation. Unfortunately there are also less attractive cultural traits, such as lynch mobs and religious bigotry. If you aren't prepared to acknowledge it, then why are you even posting in this thread?
For some weird reason, considering the thread and topic of discussion you are just more concerned with saying that oh it also happens in india.

Again, i shared the pov from pakistan, and any indian hindu can come and share their own pov instead someone else forcing their pov on them.

As for bollywood, um just cause i watched a movie or two im a bollywood fan?

I think you need to get ur head out of the behind of indians and focus on whats being discuss rather than diverting the topic

For some weird reason, considering the thread and topic of discussion you are just more concerned with saying that oh it also happens in india.

Again, i shared the pov from pakistan, and any indian hindu can come and share their own pov instead someone else forcing their pov on them.

As for bollywood, um just cause i watched a movie or two im a bollywood fan?

I think you need to get ur head out of the behind of indians and focus on whats being discuss rather than diverting the topic

The topic is about harrassment and oppression of minorities in Pakistan. Considering the history of mob mentality in the subcontinent long before the creation of Pakistan, it is perfectly reasonable to ask a wider question of why people have resorted to it for the last couple of centuries at least in the subcontinent, and is there some underlying cultural issues. Unless of course you have no interest in getting to the root of the question?

Why does this bother you so much? Surely it's something which we should try to identify, from a Pakistani perspective you should look to disassociate from Indian continent's tendency to mob mentality, wouldn't that be worthwhile endeavour?

India has extremist groups which are bigoted toward minority just as Pakistan has.
India government jailed journalists on trumped up charges just as Pakistan does.
Indian government jailed politicians on trumped up charges just as Pakistan does.
India majority have lynched minorities just as Pakistani has.
Indian majority have raped minority females just as Pakistani has.
Indian majority spread lies about minorities just as Pakistani has.
Indian majority have destroyed minority religious entities just as Pakistan has.
Indian government is actively promoting anti-minorities, particularly Muslims via different media outlets as did Pakistan since 1971 or before.
India has religious mobs so does Pakistan.

The mob mentality exists because government of both countries benefits from it. We have seen rise in mob mentality in India since Hindutva has taken over government of India, We had seen the rise in Pakistan since Zia took over.

The difference is, India has invested in Education and that has earned them money but the mob mentality, bigotry towards minority has never left, money earned to become a 5th largest economy has just masked it or ignored by the imported powers.

The Punjab government has constituted 10 joint investigations teams to probe multiple cases pertaining to the ransacking of churches in Faisalabad’s Jaranwala town following an alleged incident of blasphemy last week.

On August 16, a violent mob of hundreds ransacked and torched nearly two dozen churches, attacked the residences of members of the Christian community and the office of the local assistant commissioner in Jaranwala.

According to estimates compiled by Faisalabad’s district administration, at least 22 churches ransacked by mobs suffered damages to the tune of Rs29.1 million whereas 91 houses which bore the brunt of violence suffered losses to the tune of Rs38.5m.

As per police and local sources, the violence erupted after some locals alleged that several desecrated pages of the Holy Quran were found near a house at Cinema Chowk in Jaranwala, where two Christian brothers resided.

A day after the incident, Punjab caretaker Chief Minister Moshin Naqvi said that “both main accused” in the case were arrested and kept in the custody of the Counter Terrorism Department.

Several more arrests have been made in connection with the incident since.

In another development on Wednesday, the Punjab government notified the formation of 10 JITs to investigate cases registered in relevance to the matter at various police stations in Faisalabad. All 10 notifications issued in this regard are available with Dawn.com.

All the notifications stated that the JITs were being formed “in exercise of powers conferred under Section 19(1) of the Anti-Terrorism Act, 1997”.

Punjab IG refutes reports of pastor’s arrest
Separately, Punjab Inspector General of Police (IGP) Dr Usman Anwar refuted today reports of the arrest of a pastor in connection with the matter.

The Punjab police chief made the clarification while talking to Dawn.com, when asked about a report published news website AajEnglish.

According to the report, a pastor named Amjad Alam had been arrested in Faisalabad who had recorded a video prior to his purported arrest.

The report quoted him as saying in the video that he was in Peshawar on August 16 and not in Jaranwala, but personnel from the Crime Investigation Agency had arrived to arrest him.

HRCP fact-finding mission suspects Jaranwala rioters not ‘spontaneous or random crowd’

A fact-finding mission of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) has suspected that Jaranwala rioters were not a “spontaneous or random crowd”, but were a part of a “larger campaign of hatred against local Christians”.

In a fact-finding report published today, the commission said police officers in Jaranwala had confirmed that some “Muslim religious groups have raised issues that have created communal tension in the near past”.

“The mission has also learnt that several videos made during the attacks in different localities of Jaranwala are in circulation, showing members of a particular religious political party inciting the crowd to violence.

“Other factors reported above indicate that there could be larger political and social motives behind the attack,” it said.

The fact-finding mission comprised HRCP chairperson Hina Jilani, Centre for Social Justice executive director Peter Jacob, senior Women’s Action Forum member Neelam Hussain, and historian and rights activist Dr Yaqoob Bangash.

Dawn

India has extremist groups which are bigoted toward minority just as Pakistan has.
India government jailed journalists on trumped up charges just as Pakistan does.
Indian government jailed politicians on trumped up charges just as Pakistan does.
India majority have lynched minorities just as Pakistani has.
Indian majority have raped minority females just as Pakistani has.
Indian majority spread lies about minorities just as Pakistani has.
Indian majority have destroyed minority religious entities just as Pakistan has.
Indian government is actively promoting anti-minorities, particularly Muslims via different media outlets as did Pakistan since 1971 or before.
India has religious mobs so does Pakistan.

The mob mentality exists because government of both countries benefits from it. We have seen rise in mob mentality in India since Hindutva has taken over government of India, We had seen the rise in Pakistan since Zia took over.

The difference is, India has invested in Education and that has earned them money but the mob mentality, bigotry towards minority has never left, money earned to become a 5th largest economy has just masked it or ignored by the imported powers.
Comparing India with Pakistan is like comparing apples with oranges. India has a population of about 140 corores with about 20 crore being muslims. There is obviously going to be riots from time to time. But the difference between India and Pakistan is that the state doesn't discrimante anyone based on religion. A muslim has been a president of India but in Pakistan a hindu cannot be one as per its consitition. Dr Abdul Kalam headed our missile programs, will pakistan ever trust a non-muslim to trust such a program? How did Pakistan treat Dr Abdus Salam?

Does Indian passport say so and so person is not a muslim or hindu or christian? State and religion are separated and no governemnt policy is there nor is it written in constitution that will disallow a minority to hold any office.

Now coming to the mistreatment of muslims. If muslims in India were treated as hindus in pakistan why is it that muslim population has increased in India but dwindled in Pakistan? Have you heard of any muslim girl forcibly kidnapped and converted? In India its not just muslim girls that are raped. The infamous Nirbhaya case of Delhi which shook the conscience of teh nation is an example.

If Pakistan opens its doors to Indian muslims today how many muslims do you think will be ready to go to Pakistan? It will be less than 1%. Whereas if India opens its doors not just hindus but even muslims will be ready to migrate to India. when a temple was proposed to be built in Islamabad it was vehemently opposed and finally cancelled whereas in India we have masjids in every city, town and village where muslims live. In India muslims participae in Holi unlike pakistan where university bans it.

In india a hindu tailor is killed by 2 muslim men related to blasphemy. Has any minority killed a muslim in pakistan due to blasphemy? Akbaruddin Owaisi in a public speech abuses hindu gods and also threatens to keep the police aside for 15 mins and he will show what muslims are capable off. Can a hindu in pakistan threaten anyone? Have you heard of any muslim being falsely incrimanated for burning a Gita or Bible? There are hundreds of false cases in Pakistan just so that they have personal enmity.

In India Ramzan, Bakrid and Christmas are public holidays just like Diwali, Dussehra etc. Does Pakistan have a public holiday for non-muslim festivals? In Fact hindu students were attacked for celebrating Holi.

A hindu politician In pakistan has said in national assembly that he was asked by his felloe collegaues to convert. If a politician faces this what about poor labourers in interior sindh. Mittu Miyya of Sindh has openly claimed to have converetd 100s of girls but no action against him. why is it that hindu girls always fall in love with men twice their age and not boys of their own age? why is it that no muslim girl falls in love with hindu and elopes to get married?

India has its right wing hindu groups just like it has right wing muslim groups like PFI and SIMI. But none of these stop muslims from achieving their dreams. Nikhat Zareen wins a gold medal in boxing at CWG and world championship (not sure if Pakistan ever produced a female boxer), Khans rule bollywood, Lt Gen Syed Ata Husnain commands a core in indian army, Azim Premji is one of the richest indian, abdul kalam becomes a scientist. Opportunities are not provided based on religion but rather on skills and talent.

Back