Mominul Haque appreciation thread

Executioner

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Has been a top performer so far.

Played only a handful of test and yet has scored more than 500 runs. In this match so far he has scored 120+ runs and is still batting despite a fever.

I think he could turn out to be a top performer in test matches

He has scored more runs than overrated Rutherford in less matches. The kid is talented, Inshallah he will go far if he keeps on performing like this. He has a bright future, he is short and plays short balls pretty well :farhat

He's a kid with a big heart, hopefully we will see more tons and maybe one day he will break Lara's record :kohli

He is our Hashim :amla

Not to mention he is a Chatgaya from Cox's Bazar hence more talented

168903.jpg

'I am 5'1, Sodhi you are 6'2 but I can hit you with my eyes closed' - :mominul

At the moment I rate him a flat track bully because he had poor tours in England and Zimbabwe recently but hey? he's young, has good mind and talented and will get better and better. I have no doubt he will destroy Indian and Sri Lanka bowling attacks but his biggest challenge will be the likes of South Africa, Australia and Pakistan in the next few years.

He has some weaknesses like hesitation between the wickets which must be rectified for ODIs and could still improve a bit with temperament and defense.

too early to say that don't you think? its not like he has failed on lively wickets. the current pitch is lively

Anyways, an FTB is better than batsman that can't even score on flat pattas like many of the current Pakistan batsman barring Misbah, yk, jamshed. Hafeez used to be an FTB but these days he is failing even on flat tracks. This is the harsh truth. Even shak might be considered an FTB but he is an AR and a good player of spin.

And umar is nowhere to be seen.

Impressed by him he's not afraid to play his shots. However the real test will come when he faces team's with quality spinners.

Would love Bangladesh to have few more FTBs.

The fact that we are finally having batsmen who can even be categorized as "FTBs" is in itself an achievement and proof that Bangladesh is improving. When was the last time we saw people from other countries dissing Bangladeshi batsmen as FTBs :)

too early to say that don't you think? its not like he has failed on lively wickets. the current pitch is lively

Anyways, an FTB is better than batsman that can't even score on flat pattas like many of the current Pakistan batsman barring Misbah, yk, jamshed. Hafeez used to be an FTB but these days he is failing even on flat tracks. This is the harsh truth. Even shak might be considered an FTB but he is an AR and a good player of spin.

And umar is nowhere to be seen.
Ha!

He's not Umar Akmal good for sure...

Impressed by him he's not afraid to play his shots. However the real test will come when he faces team's with quality spinners.

nope. he is a quality player of spin.

biggest test will be against SA or Australian pave battery.

Impressed by him he's not afraid to play his shots.

Indeed. That can also bring his downfall as seen in the first innings.

Love how Tamim is playing in second innings though. He is gone now but two half centuries in a test match, I will take that. We are beginning to have more batsmen with belief and a will to apply themselves. Of course we don't have enough bowlers and our pace "attack" is laughable but we will eventually get there in sha Allah.

Congratulations Mominul Haque on yet again scoring a century against a good Kiwi pace attack. Proud of you kiddo. :inzi

Last edited:
Ha!

He's not Umar Akmal good for sure...

umar is a quality LOI player. Mominul has failed in ODIs but performed in tests.

Now its a matter of which format one prefers. I am a big fan of all format so I won't tell. But momi has the temperament to surpass many young batsman easily

nope. he is a quality player of spin.

biggest test will be against SA or Australian pave battery.
Sodhi and Williamson aren't great players to judge that on... As for pacers that's obvious but the fact is they'll get a rare tour every 6-7 years the best you can home for is a pity series here and there at home.

I'm not being harsh, we get the same treatment but we aren't treated as badly as Bangladesh.

Last edited:
umar is a quality LOI player. Mominul has failed in ODIs but performed in tests.

Now its a matter of which format one prefers. I am a big fan of all format so I won't tell. But momi has the temperament to surpass many young batsman easily
Umar is on a whole other level mate, if he played on the same track with a few tests under his belt he'd be scoring runs in the truckloads.

This is the same pitch where a rookie number 10 scored a fifty and looked good for a ton had he not been run out.

I'd love to see Momimul replicate what Umar has done in NZ, Australia and England.

Last edited:
Sodhi and Williamson aren't great players to judge that on... As for pacers that's obvious but the fact is they'll get a rare tour every 6-7 years the best you can home for is a pity series here and there at home.

I'm not being harsh, we get the same treatment but we aren't treated as badly as Bangladesh.

I didn't say that he is like a Clarke or a lara but he has has a good record against spinners starting from the domestic matches. If he faces the likes of vettori and herath I will back him to perform. His height itself makes every ball look short.

I don't thin there is a question mark on any of our batsmans ability to play spin. We are obviously not SA at that aspect. From all our batsman only tamim and mushfiq are quality against Pacers.

Umar is on a whole other level mate, if he played on the same track with a few tests under his belt he'd be scoring runs in the truckloads.

This is the same pitch where a rookie number 10 scored a fifty and looked good for a ton had he not been run out.

I'd love to see Momimul replicate what Umar has done in NZ, Australia and England.

We can't say that for sure. Both are young and both are prone to having rush of blood. The amount of matches that UA has played on the domestic level is way way way more than what MH has done.

Also, at the end of the day as a player, you don't get to choose the opponent/pitch/type of bowlers you want to face etc. You just perform to the best of ability that you can.

Umar has played 4 times the test matches Mominul has and yet Mominul has already scored half the runs and twice the centuries that he has. This is just looking at things statistically and not bringing into account of how flat the pitch is.

Again, both of them are young and have a long long long way to go.

Mominul is far better batsmen than umar Akmal, he has temperament and want to play in top four, this notion that you should have all round strokes is pure fallacy.

Umark Akmal is product of hype rather than substance that's why he is not even in the test team , to play test cricket you need toughness which UA has never shown, lot of players have scored 100s on debut and that does not make them a great player, what you do after that is more important.

I didn't say that he is like a Clarke or a lara but he has has a good record against spinners starting from the domestic matches. If he faces the likes of vettori and herath I will back him to perform. His height itself makes every ball look short.

I don't thin there is a question mark on any of our batsmans ability to play spin. We are obviously not SA at that aspect. From all our batsman only tamim and mushfiq are quality against Pacers.
So what? When did Bangladesh's domestic spinners become a barometer of a players ability to play spin? :tahir

Still very young in age and has plenty of time to develop, interesting to see how he goes when Bangladesh get games outside of Asia. However am sure he will be given plenty of time to develop and hes shown great tempremant so far!

Mominul is far better batsmen than umar Akmal, he has temperament and want to play in top four, this notion that you should have all round strokes is pure fallacy.

Umark Akmal is product of hype rather than substance that's why he is not even in the test team , to play test cricket you need toughness which UA has never shown, lot of players have scored 100s on debut and that does not make them a great player, what you do after that is more important.

We should cut some slack for UA too. He is young. The talent is there and everyone knows that.

Also, he has never in his career played a home match. Never really felt the home advantage. We can shove statistics for all we want but such things matter too. Players like Trescothick and Harmison have felt the effects and here we have a early 20s players who has played all 16 test matches away from home.

So what? When did Bangladesh's domestic spinners become a barometer of a players ability to play spin? :tahir

It is just of what he has faced so far and his comfort zone would be facing more spinners since that is what he has faced in domestic cricket. We don't have an awesome battery of pacers so his real test would be facing the likes of Anderson, Broad, Finn etc on the green pitches instead of a spinner.

We should cut some slack for UA too. He is young. The talent is there and everyone knows that.

Also, he has never in his career played a home match. Never really felt the home advantage. We can shove statistics for all we want but such things matter too. Players like Trescothick and Harmison have felt the effects and here we have a early 20s players who has played all 16 test matches away from home.

it is never about average for me in judging a batsman, it is temperament and character shown by any batsmen which is more important,

UA after his great start has regressed so far that he is unable to find a place in this pathetic line up.There is reason why he is not made to bat higher in the order in odis too as he is too loose with his shots.

People here talk about his fricking avg is recent west indies forgetting it is easy to average 50 when scoring 200 runs but it requires great skill to average 50 when scoring 2000 runs.

We would have lost this match by the end of today if we didn't have Mominul, before we used to have players Haba, Naeem, Rock, mofeez etc they would have blocked 30 balls and give a catch at slip and walk back, they can't take pressure. From Bangladesh's perspective, regardless of the pitch we were trailing by 150+ runs, so this is a top knock under pressure. Need to give credit where it's due.

I agree with testcricketistthebest.

Umar looked good early in his career but after that all I have heard is hype and less performance. Umar is extremely talented but he does not have the temperament. In test cricket, temperament comes before anyhing else. Thats why its called tests.

yea there is no doubt that he could not have asked for a better performance under pressure.

even in the 1st match having to bat when your team us 6 for 2 and trailing by 460 runs

Don't count all your chickens before they hatch. A blazing start to a test career can have the opposite effect.

Looks a great young talent.

Plays a lot shots that he might struggle to be able to play on fast seaming tracks so interested to see if he can reign himself in especially early on or he will find himself caught behind often.

Hes basically a midget so these slow low lifeless pitches are perfect for him.

Don't count all your chickens before they hatch. A blazing start to a test career can have the opposite effect.

True. Just good to see him do well. We know Bangladesh batsmen have a habit of throwing it away after minor milestones like reaching a half century [watch Tamims four finger celebrations after scoring 4 consecutive 50s during Asia cup... and not one of them converted to a 100]. This guy meanwhile scored 180 in the first test and now at 122* so his temperament to bat and fight it out in the middle has been good to see. he still plays risky shots in the air every once in a while but well he is still raw so lets overlook that.

That calls for a ashraful and kohli comparison. Both had great starts but look where both are now?

Mominul has the temperament to play in any situation. Unfazed by pressure and does not care about personal milestone that's why he is class. I also liked willaimson for the same reason.

Looks a great young talent.

Plays a lot shots that he might struggle to be able to play on fast seaming tracks so interested to see if he can reign himself in especially early on or he will find himself caught behind often.

Hes basically a midget so these slow low lifeless pitches are perfect for him.

He struggled in the A tour to England, hopefully he can learn a thing or two and improve his batting overseas. He needs to play county cricket, hope some county picks him up, a few seasons will do him a lot of good.

Yeah he is a Hobbit, he has the ring now, precious. Another ton. :inzi

He is far better than Hamish I don't know how to control my innings Rutherford.

Rutherfords first 5 tests came against a quality English bowling attack.

Mominul has played on dead tracks against Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and NZ without its top 2 bowlers.

Hes a talent but lets not get to carried away

This is supposed to be an appreciation thread and we have made it a comparison thread. Well done.

Mominul has played on dead tracks against Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe and NZ without its top 2 bowlers.

LOL excuses and excuses

is rutherford not playing in the series how many runs did he score????

NZ batsmen have not shown ability to grind innings and that is what is lacking in them.

Last edited:
is rutherford not playing in the series how many runs did he score????

NZ batsmen have not shown ability to grind innings and that is what is lacking in them.

Rutherford hasn't struggled a great deal but hes played poor shots once getting in. Hes still a great talent

Its not easy for our batsman adjusting to slow low pitches. Lets see how Mominul goes on a green seamer vs the English seam attack.

Last edited:
Its not an excuse its realty.

Southee and Vettori aren't playing.

Vettori didn't even play against Australia in Hobart? Also Vettori didn't feature in the English tour, he didn't accept a NZCB contract, not our fault if your player is injured. Who knows if he will ever feature in another Test.

Bracewell, Boult, Wagner featured during the Eng Tour, it's only Southee. Don't know how we would have bowled here as he never bowled in Bangladesh. Only bowler missing was Southee. Even our Shahadat was missing, so it's even stevens :afridi

Seriously I opened this thread hoping this guy would earn some respect and all there has been is comparison with akmal and Rutherford :facepalm:

Rutherford hasn't struggled a great deal but hes played poor shots once getting in. Hes still a great talent

Its not easy for our batsman adjusting to slow low pitches. Lets see how Mominul goes on a green seamer vs the English seam attack.

what seaming wicket did rutherford excel can you please enlighten me.

All the Kiwi batsmen failed in England last tour. They haven't played any extraordinary knock on a green seaming pitch, have they? Rutherford averaged 20.50 with 0 50s and Fulton HTB averaged 9.00 while Kane messiah Wiliamson averaged 20.50 with one fluke 60 (note he was dropped twice in that knock and once knicked but was lucky)

So it's not easy for your batsmen in slow low pitches? They batted well on slow low pitches, they failed in green seam track. Rutherford is just like :umarakmal throws away after a good start. And his first ton was most probably a fluke, Rutherford will be averaging like Ashraful

All the Kiwi batsmen failed in England last tour. They haven't played any extraordinary knock on a green seaming pitch, have they? Rutherford averaged 20.50 with 0 50s and Fulton HTB averaged 9.00 while Kane messiah Wiliamson averaged 20.50 with one fluke 60 (note he was dropped twice in that knock and once knicked but was lucky)

So it's not easy for your batsmen in slow low pitches? They batted well on slow low pitches, they failed in green seam track. Rutherford is just like :umarakmal throws away after a good start. And his first ton was most probably a fluke, Rutherford will be averaging like Ashraful

Exactly, great post. Removes some myths. Lets not look at Mominul's achievements any lightly just because he didnt play in England or Australia, Rutherford has played on the same flat pitches in BD here but yet couldnt do zilch against an attack far weaker than NZs so lets give credit where due. Mominul has been unstoppable so far and to score so many runs at 22 years of age is truly a great achievement, he has been batting like Amla in this test series. His career average is 70+ already and he has played 2 away series and 1 home series so far. Kudos to his hard work and talent

I find it funny how you find a talented batsman and try and compare him another player but pick a moderately talented NZ batsman who is struggling.

This 'at least hes better than that guy' attitude is weak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Williamson scored a fantastic century to save a test match vs South Africa on a seaming wicket vs Steyn, Philander and co. Bangladesh would of lost 2 days earlier on that track. He hasn't quite fulfilled his talent yet but he would probably be averaging far more if he got to play on these pitches. He hasn't been out for under 62 here yet.

Fulton is rubbish why even bring him up.

Last edited:
Vettori didn't even play against Australia in Hobart? Also Vettori didn't feature in the English tour, he didn't accept a NZCB contract, not our fault if your player is injured. Who knows if he will ever feature in another Test.

Bracewell, Boult, Wagner featured during the Eng Tour, it's only Southee. Don't know how we would have bowled here as he never bowled in Bangladesh. Only bowler missing was Southee. Even our Shahadat was missing, so it's even stevens :afridi

Vettori is our best spinner. How hard a concept is that to grasp?

He has demolished Bangladesh at home and away.

Rutherford has grown up playing on sporting tracks or tracks that support pace bowlers so in a way if he does well facing pacers even if its world class pacers why should it be a big deal? On the other hand if he does well facing spinners in India on a turning pitch and does well then sure, applaud him. Even ponting has always had nightmare scores in India except for his last series there.

Mominul has done well. The reason we Bangladeshis get excited is because we haven't had much success. Ever. A Kohli gets to be in the company of Sachins and Dravids. An Akhtar gets to be in the company of Wasims and Waqars. A Clarke comes under Ponting and Waughs. Bangladesh have no legacy like that. This batch has it in them to be the first relatively successful players in the international scene. Twenty years from now, the players coming in the Bangladesh team will have in the dressing room players who have performed and made a name and know the in and outs of International Cricket. They will share the dressing room with hopefully top performers. This is why we get over excited.

Forgive us for the exaggeration.

Rutherford has grown up playing on sporting tracks or tracks that support pace bowlers so in a way if he does well facing pacers even if its world class pacers why should it be a big deal? On the other hand if he does well facing spinners in India on a turning pitch and does well then sure, applaud him. Even ponting has always had nightmare scores in India except for his last series there.

Mominul has done well. The reason we Bangladeshis get excited is because we haven't had much success. Ever. A Kohli gets to be in the company of Sachins and Dravids. An Akhtar gets to be in the company of Wasims and Waqars. A Clarke comes under Ponting and Waughs. Bangladesh have no legacy like that. This batch has it in them to be the first relatively successful players in the international scene. Twenty years from now, the players coming in the Bangladesh team will have in the dressing room players who have performed and made a name and know the in and outs of International Cricket. They will share the dressing room with hopefully top performers. This is why we get over excited.

Forgive us for the exaggeration.

There is plenty of talent in Bangladesh but i still feel the pitches will always hold you back. This series could be much harder for us if the pitches broke up a bit. Its only spun more due to footmarks so far.

Its good for you guys to avoid losing but at some stage you also need to forge ahead and try to win test matches. Even if that means losing more its worth it.

Yes on that very same pitch Finn scored a fifty and faced two hundred balls.

Yes i actually watched the match. The pitch dried extensively on day 2 and 3. That Dunedin pitch doesn't break up ether so there was nothing for spinners. England also had no choice but to bat to save the test.

Yes i actually watched the match. The pitch dried extensively on day 2 and 3. That Dunedin pitch doesn't break up ether so there was nothing for spinners. England also had no choice but to bat to save the test.

Trent Boult breezed to a half century in the first test of this series.

So far he's had a very good start to his test career. Hopefully he turns out to be a good batsman in the future for Bangladesh.

Mominul is a very talented young cricketer so stop being harsh on him guys that i.e. he has played against teams like Sri Lanka, NZ etc they are all ranked higher than Bangaldesh. He was poor in Zimbabwe by the way who are obviously well below Sri Lanka and New Zealand.

Tamim played really well. 100s are not easy at the highest level so cut him some slack.

superb lad, wonderful, love you!

They have shown some charecter the Bangladshi boys which is heartening to see, I thought they'd capitulate in the 2nd innings but NO, this Bangladeshi team is able to give it back, fight it out, at least in their home conditions, well done Bangladesh! but a long way to go still in test cricket!

'If you play well one day, the opposition will plan for you the next day' - Mominul Haque

169609.2.jpg

Read the article from cricinfo, it's a good read. It seems like young Mominul was suffering from high fever while batting against Kiwis and was taking pills between drinks break. A very fighting knock from the brave one, you made your mother proud no doubt kiddo :amla

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-v-new-zealand-2013-14/content/story/682723.html

He's quite underrated. Has pretty much performed against all opposition given.

He's quite underrated. Has pretty much performed against all opposition given.

We can always reserve judgement for now. I would like to see him do the same against Steyn-Morne and Johnno. If he can maintain a 60+ average till then he will surely turn into a prodigy.

We can always reserve judgement for now. I would like to see him do the same against Steyn-Morne and Johnno. If he can maintain a 60+ average till then he will surely turn into a prodigy.
if he can do that vs Steyn and johno and whatever, he'd be an ATG level batsman lol. At least a Bengali great would do for the Banglaboys right now.

Can only play what's in front of you, think that's 5 or 6 centuries in 20 test innings, that's impressive considering the team he plays in.

And quite a few of those tests would have been against NZ and SL.

Even if that average falls down to 45, Bangladesh would take it in a jiffy. Excellent prospect. If BD get a few more players like Shakib, Tamim and Mominul, they will start winning more consistently. Nasir and Tamim have faded away but they have potential too. Mushy seems to be a poor captain but he is a decent keeper bat as well. Taskin and Jubair are good young prospects.

And for the love of God, please drop Rubel. He is worthless.

^ dropping rubel is equivalent to dropping Bradman. One does simply drop someone with an average of 80 plus

Honestly he will struggle in SA and Aus

In the youth levels we produce extremely talented players but they fade away because of a poor first class system.

Sometimes you gotta make the tough decision and keep the legends out.

Unfortunately we don't have the kind of players to replace him. Rubel somehow manages to get picked in tests and funnily enough has a fif-er against NZ :)) NZ players were probably drunk during the innings

Its a very impressive start but he's not really as gifted as to someone like Umar. What makes Mominul stand-out is his attitude and work ethic and along with the talent he does posses is doing well so far.

I think he does have the ability to do well in pacey conditions against quality fast bowlers but he needs the practice first which is the problem for all subcontinent teams anyway.

As much as I like Mominul, I still rate Anamul Haque much higher mainly due to his talent and I only hope he works hard on improving his technique and footwork something Mominul worked on a long time back.

Its true Mominul has only played lower ranked teams - New Zealand, Sri Lanka, West Indies and Zimbabwe but you can only perform what's given to you and so far he has done justice.

Fortunately, Bangladesh next year apparently has test series against the Pakistan, India, South Africa and Australia so no doubt these test matches will confirm his actual value as a batsman.

To win test matches you need to have quality fast bowlers and Bangladesh still don't have that. Which is why they will most of the time not beat a G8 side even still today. Their overall test record testifies to that.

Even if that average falls down to 45, Bangladesh would take it in a jiffy. Excellent prospect. If BD get a few more players like Shakib, Tamim and Mominul, they will start winning more consistently. Nasir and Tamim have faded away but they have potential too. Mushy seems to be a poor captain but he is a decent keeper bat as well. Taskin and Jubair are good young prospects.

And for the love of God, please drop Rubel. He is worthless.

Tamim is an underachiever and is not probably bothered whether he's the best or not. His fitness and attitude is what dearly lets him down.

Anamul is the most talented of the lot but he's not our regular for tests yet. We just need quality fast bowlers but pace stocks are still very small.

We only have these best available fast bowlers - Mashrafe, Al-Amin, Shafiul, Rubel, Nazmul, Shahadat, Robiul, Taskin and Abul. Most of them don't have the pace and less than half of them are over 6 foot so you can really see the problem.

Last edited:
Tamim is an underachiever and is not probably bothered whether he's the best or not. His fitness and attitude is what dearly lets him down.

Anamul is the most talented of the lot but he's not our regular for tests yet. We just need quality fast bowlers but pace stocks are still very small.

We only have these best available fast bowlers - Mashrafe, Al-Amin, Shafiul, Rubel, Nazmul, Shahadat, Robiul, Taskin and Abul. Most of them don't have the pace and less than half of them are over 6 foot so you can really see the problem.

tamim is what we say mentally weak player.

He is much better than our Younis Khan, Inzamam and even Tendulqar, probably next Bradman.

decent player. lacks the footwork to be successful away from slow wickets.

Uses his brain and has very good temperament. Good things are on cards for him.

Some sad haters here. He will just get better and better and just turned 23. He will obviously perform when he plays India and Pakistan bowling but his biggest challenge will be against the pace of South Africa and Australia. I think he will be fine against them as long as he continues to learn to get even better and work on his weaknesses.

But from what I have seen, he has a very good technique which he can tune to adjust, very good hand-eye-coordination, good temperament and can change the tempo of his game. But his biggest trait is his mindset and that's what separates him from the rest. The mindset of a player is more important than the amount of talent a player possesses.

Anamul Haque is potentially greater but this guy has one of the worst techniques around and hardly uses his feet but fortunately they are being worked on with the assistant of the new BD coach who made players like Matthews and Sanga become what they are today. Our batting line-up is going to be lethal in few years time.

Last edited:
Back