Mominul Haque appreciation thread

Getting set for another big score. Four hundreds and eight fiftys in 24 innings. Wish Bangladesh would play more overseas Tests to see how he fares.

Mominul Haque has become the seventh player to hit 50+ scores in 10 consecutive Tests.

Very fine young batsman, could become the first Bangladeshi to retire with a 50 average in Test cricket.

He's a flop overseas

Can you stop speaking all this rubbish about our team. I have been noticing a plethora of your poor quality posts throughout the forum and most of them downplaying our team's ability.

Its funny how you label him as a flop overseas, when he has HARDLY played any tests outside Bangladesh. And for your kind information he has played 7-8 innings outside BD and he has done OK, with 4-5 50s in them.

Shame we still haven't seen much of this guy overseas i want to see him bat in challenging conditions. We know he can score big at home. He was exceptional when NZ toured Bangladesh last time.

He's a flop overseas

You are right. He played two test matches in Sri Lanka and averages 52 there.

Played only 1 test in Zimbabwe and averages 26.

And 2 test matches against West Indies averaging 30.5

Such a HUGE sample and so MUCH experience he has had overseas. Definitely a tried and tested failure. Bangladesh should get rid of him. Can we borrow Umar Amin please?!

[MENTION=76058]cricketjoshila[/MENTION] Where? In India?
He played 42% of his matches outside Bangladesh

You don't appreciate players outside Pakistan?

For instance, I just love AB, B Mac and some other batsmen.

I may love players but appreciating them is going too far. I mean Ab Devillers would probably be the only one I appreciate.

I still think Anamul will average more than Mominul if he finally has a solid technique. Having 2 50+ average batsman will make sure BD at least draw tests more often than not.

Kohli has 7 centuries outside Asia.Mominul isnt fit to tie Kohlis laces.

He is not getting opportunities playing outside home, is it his fault??? Are you fit to tie Mominuls shoe!!!
If u talk rubbish, you have to hear rubbish!! Anyway, sorry to say this way!!

He is not getting opportunities playing outside home, is it his fault??? Are you fit to tie Mominuls shoe!!!

Kohli > this tiny lady

Did i compare Momin Ul to myself?Nopes.Momin Ul was compared to Kohli and Momin Ul isnt fit to tie Kohlis laces.Thats a fact and not rubbish.Let him score 1 century outside of Asia and we will talk then.

They who are comparing this little boy with greats are nothing but idiots! He has started well, hope he will continue for longer then he may be compared!! So far so good!! Some greats also didn't enjoy this much success in their early days!
Its appreciation thread! If you can appreciate!! Well. If not then you bettet leave this thread!!

He hasnt done much of note outside Bangladesh so no use hyping him up as a 50plus test avg batsman.

You don't get it do you? India were ranked number one in test. They lost 8-0 to Australia and England. Does it mean that their wins don't count? Are wins/success meaningless just because it comes at home and not abroad?That way Indias 2011 World Cup victory and Australias 2015 world cup victory shouldn't count.

As a player you can't choose where you play and whom you play against. So his numbers count. They are still international 100s and 50s regardless of where he scores them and against whom he scores. How many Bangladesh batsmen have a 50+ average? All of them have played in the same grounds Mominul has.

Not calling him the next Bradman, the next greatest thing since sliced bread. In fact he can't even break into the ODI side. But how about giving credit to a young batsman who is playing an important part in ensuring Bangladesh doesn't lose test matches in 3-4 days anymore?

I still think Anamul will average more than Mominul if he finally has a solid technique. Having 2 50+ average batsman will make sure BD at least draw tests more often than not.

True. And hopefully Liton too, whenever he gets the chance.

Batting and fielding averages

Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 4s 6s Ct St
Tests 12 23 4 1198 181 63.05 2151 55.69 4 7 140 0 12 0

This was before the 80 he scored today. I would say that's pretty impressive regardless of where you are batting.
And yes please stop comparing this kid to modern batting greats. He just started off exceptionally well. That's all!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/373696.html

Last edited:
Very fine young batsman, could become the first Bangladeshi to retire with a 50 average in Test cricket.

Yes, i also hope so. He has talent. He needs to continue to work hard on his batting and try to get better and better (He is a hard working lad as far as I have heard of him).But one thing seems to be a problem to me.He has no place in ODI side .Bangladesh play 5 to 6 tests on average per year, not taking count of this year though which is really an exception. That means he gets to play a test series every 6 months. That is a huge break and it is very difficult to maintain focus , composure and confidence during this break. Those players who averaged over 50 in tests were also a regular member of ODI side. That keeps you at international stage facing quality bowlers all the time.

I appreciate the fact that he is in a minnow team holding a 50 plus average. I hope he continues on his marry way to do wonders for Bangladesh.

You don't get it do you? India were ranked number one in test. They lost 8-0 to Australia and England. Does it mean that their wins don't count? Are wins/success meaningless just because it comes at home and not abroad?That way Indias 2011 World Cup victory and Australias 2015 world cup victory shouldn't count.

As a player you can't choose where you play and whom you play against. So his numbers count. They are still international 100s and 50s regardless of where he scores them and against whom he scores. How many Bangladesh batsmen have a 50+ average? All of them have played in the same grounds Mominul has.

Not calling him the next Bradman, the next greatest thing since sliced bread. In fact he can't even break into the ODI side. But how about giving credit to a young batsman who is playing an important part in ensuring Bangladesh doesn't lose test matches in 3-4 days anymore?

Very good logic. Some people don't want to count our success on our home soil. This reply is enough to shut them up

Yes, i also hope so. He has talent. He needs to continue to work hard on his batting and try to get better and better (He is a hard working lad as far as I have heard of him).But one thing seems to be a problem to me.He has no place in ODI side .Bangladesh play 5 to 6 tests on average per year, not taking count of this year though which is really an exception. That means he gets to play a test series every 6 months. That is a huge break and it is very difficult to maintain focus , composure and confidence during this break. Those players who averaged over 50 in tests were also a regular member of ODI side. That keeps you at international stage facing quality bowlers all the time.

Very hard to see him in ODI 11 now. Liton and Anamul are also not in ODI 11 yet ahead of Mominul. Safe bet is for Mominul to play domestic and A games.

Exactly, haters gonna hate though

I never thought that I would see Bangladesh become one of the strongest batting sides in the world.
They're obviously not there, but they have a lot of potential.
I wouldn't put it past them.

You guys cant take any criticism and will hype your players.

India was ranked no.1 because they lost only 1 series home and away since 2007.They beat Eng and NZ away drew with SA away.Only lost to Aus in closely fought series and due to Sydney test fiasco.So India was ranked number one because of sucess both home and away.

Sorry but Bangladeshi batsmen are not exactly the scale of judgement for batting or judging world class batsman so Mominul being better than other BAN batsmen isnt some kind of exceptional record.And it does matter whwre you score your runs and againist whom you score.

I will give him credit when i see him doing well in alien conditions or againist good attacks.Until then he is all hype of Bangladeshi fans.

Mominal for Bangladesh and Brathwaite for West Indies look to be two very serious young Test batsmen. They like to buckle down and slowly put up big scores. They're also both in very weak teams.

Lets see if he can match George Headley's stats after 22 test matches 2190 runs at 60.83. Even the black Bradman as he was called had a much higher average (77) at home. Even if he scores less than his career average of 63.90 he should reach there.

He is doing well and numbers look great so I dug up his record

Almost All his good scores have come in games where both Bangladesh and opposition teams have struck 400+ scores and most of these games have been in Bangladesh

Which points to one things. B'desh are preparing exceedingly flat tracks to ensure that games end in tame draws as in the case of NZ and SL series.

Still I am not discounting Mominul's efforts because it is a huge step up from their previous batsmen and he ensures that atleast they are not getting rolled over both home and away like they used to before

To be honest I haven't watched him play a ball so can't comment on how good he maybe but there is a good chance that his flats might be inflated

He is doing well and numbers look great so I dug up his record

Almost All his good scores have come in games where both Bangladesh and opposition teams have struck 400+ scores and most of these games have been in Bangladesh

Which points to one things. B'desh are preparing exceedingly flat tracks to ensure that games end in tame draws as in the case of NZ and SL series.

Still I am not discounting Mominul's efforts because it is a huge step up from their previous batsmen and he ensures that atleast they are not getting rolled over both home and away like they used to before

To be honest I haven't watched him play a ball so can't comment on how good he maybe but there is a good chance that his flats might be inflated

That's obvious. Most subcontinent batsmen are the same. Even Sachin feasted on Australian attacks when at least one of Mcgrath, Warne, McGill, or Gillespie was absent. And when he scored, Dravid and Laxman scored even more.

Even in places like NZ and England, when Asian batters do well its almost always when the ball isn't not moving around much. Kohli's recent 4 ton tour of Australia happened when both teams racked up 400+ on pitches that didny offer anything. Only difference is the Aus quality of the attack was top rate for Kohli and Mominul has feasted on lesser attacks. Though this Pak attack is decent.

You guys cant take any criticism and will hype your players.

India was ranked no.1 because they lost only 1 series home and away since 2007.They beat Eng and NZ away drew with SA away.Only lost to Aus in closely fought series and due to Sydney test fiasco.So India was ranked number one because of sucess both home and away.

Sorry but Bangladeshi batsmen are not exactly the scale of judgement for batting or judging world class batsman so Mominul being better than other BAN batsmen isnt some kind of exceptional record.And it does matter whwre you score your runs and againist whom you score.

I will give him credit when i see him doing well in alien conditions or againist good attacks.Until then he is all hype of Bangladeshi fans.

Still pulling on strings but fine. Don't you see I am not hyping him up at all. For everyone being so excited at Bangladeshs failures in future abroad trips, well that won't be surprising. New Zealand got white washed in two consecutive ODI series in Bangladesh...so if Bangladesh gets whitewashed abroaad, why will it be a surprise?

There is a reason home advantage has the word advantage in it....

I swear they did a bad job on taking Asia Cup away. Just by seeing this thread you can already tell how much rivalry each asian team has with each other.

Did someone just brought in Sachin to compare againist Mominul.What a joke this is.
[MENTION=133315]Hitman[/MENTION]

How many centuries did Kohli score in his first tour to WI? [MENTION=76058]cricketjoshila[/MENTION]

What the hell?

He scored an 80 off of 162 balls and there's a thread appreciating him for that?

What the hell has cricket come to? :doh

What the hell do u know abt his performance [MENTION=107753]uberkoen[/MENTION]?

Suggest one pakistani who scored 10 successive 50s in his career

LOL. What the hell are you on about? Are you suggesting that this guy has scored 10 consecutive 50's? In what world?

How many Pakistanis keep playing at home and mostly againist minnows.

This thread is comic.Bangladeshis now bringing in Sachin and Kohli and entire Pakistani batting history in comparision to this guy.Hilarious.

Ha haa I am an Indian, and a big fan of Kohli [MENTION=76058]cricketjoshila[/MENTION]

He played most of his matches against Sri Lanka, New Zealand and West Indies

Only two against Zimbabwe [MENTION=76058]cricketjoshila[/MENTION]

Mominul is an emerging batsman. No where close to Kohli, De Villiers and the greats.

Loooooooong way to go. By Bangladeshi standards though, he is gold!

Did Hafeez just score his 3rd consecutive test century? Let's start comparing him to Sachin and open an appreciation thread for him!

This lad continues to impress. 11th consecutive fifty or more in a test match!

Since his debut including this one he has played 14 tests and in 13 of them he has scored at least a fifty or more. The only test he hasn't made a fifty on he made 23 and 29. Definitely something very special about this boy. These are pretty unbelievable stats by any standards!

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...s=1;template=results;type=allround;view=match

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/282910.html

Hes good but still long way to go. Playing on Bangladesh flat beds where a mediocre batsmen like Hefeez gets 200s don't count for much. The talent is there but not proven yet in alien conditions.

He is a good batsman, some people are just bitter.

^ He can only play what's given in front of him. He has played in SL and Windies and scored 50s.

He should beat the record. Has the technique, temperament and intelligence.

There is a difference between good and making someone comparable to legends.

He is not good. He is very very good. The fact is he has now scored 11 consecutive fifty or more in a test match!

Played 14 tests and in 13 of them he has scored at least a fifty or more. 4 hundreds and 9 fifties. No other player apart from Don Bradman in the history of 150 years of test cricket had this kind of average or consistency at this stage of their career. Whether he sustains this or not remains to be seen but 14 tests over a span of 2 years is pretty good for me.

Bangladesh Test captain Mominul Haque has tested positive for COVID-19 and he is undergoing home isolation, according to a report here.

Haque’s coronavirus positive result came close on the heels of another senior player Mahmudullah contracting the virus which forced him to miss the Pakistan Super League play-offs.

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) chief physician Dr. Debashish Chowdhury confirmed Haque’s test result to local news website Sarabangla.

“Mominul is coronavirus positive with mild symptoms,” Dr Chowdhury told the website.

Haque, on his part, said that he had mild fever and got himself tested.

“I only came to know yesterday that I have tested positive for COVID-19. I had fever for the last two days. Even I am running temperature today. But otherwise, there aren’t any other symptoms,” Haque said.

His participation in the Bangabandhu T20 Cup later this month is doubtful.

Some of the other Bangladesh stars who have recovered from COVID-19 are Mashrafe Mortaza, Abu Jayed and Saif Hassan.

Back